Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: Cooking Goes Live!

• Start Topic

The finalists must try their hand at something big, taking their inspiration from Josh Denny and his hit Food Network show, Ginormous Food. Then, it's time for the up-to-the-minute trend of live cooking while streaming on social media. Each finalist streams their take on a start-to-finish 15-minute weeknight meal while viewers cook along. Surprise guest Alex Guarnaschelli provides feedback on the finalists' performances as Giada De Laurentiis and Bobby Flay send one more finalist on their way.

If I overstepped on anyone's toes by starting this episode thread I'm sorry, but it's been over an hour and it wasn't here.

I'm not sure what exactly was so all-fire horrible about Cory's presentation. Surely he could get better with practice. Amy only mentioned as a throwaway line the ages of her children and somehow that counts as talking about her family, and she cross-contaminated her food so the judges couldn't eat it.  

• Love 9
(edited)

Thanks for starting a thread. I think it was the long pauses when Cory was cooking that killed him. I'm sure it was partially the editing monkeys but Amy's did come across much more natural and conversational than his did. Combine that with how they both did on the mentor challenge and the fact that Amy's the last woman standing and I think that did it. 

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 6

I really think this has been Jason's to lose since day one, so Corey leaving is no surprise to me.  And I may be in the minority, but I like Jason.  I don't even mind his "Lord, honey, hush my mouth"-isms...there ARE still Southerners who talk that way, and I'm friends with several of them, so I'm kind of used to it.

• Love 18

Boobs.

Matthew "I'm grating so much cheese right now I"m thinking I don't need to go to the gym later because this is making me sore."   Eye roll

If I don't hear the word "hack" for a year it will be too soon.

Gigantic food is gross.

Boobs.

Amy "PINK FROSTING AND RAINBOW SPRINKLES HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE!!!!"   Eye roll.   And can she stop shoving food in her mouth at the end and laughing and thinking she's cute? 

Boobs.

Corey has meatball stutters.  Not good.

Boobs.

I think they got exactly what they wanted out of this episode.  That was beyond distracting. 

• Love 20

What kind of Food Network authority doesn't automatically wash their hands after handling chicken?  That feeling and smell after you handle any raw meat is just an automatic thing.   Would you eat at her house?  She's got blinders available to her...maybe it comes from cleaning up after pooping and puking kids in the 2-4 age range?  She says she washes at home but now I don't believe her!!!!  And they kept her for another week of buffoonery.

• Love 12

It's as if the show decided to serve up extra helping of snark every week. A contest between an insufferable egotistical assbro and a lame dame who handles raw chicken without washing her damn hands? Boobs all around.

Gee golly guy doesn't have any shelf life. Matthew is a ringer, waiting on his obnoxious travel for fun food show. So, yeah, Rusty. 

Also, Giada, back away from the contour and highlight trowel---your makeup person watching at home Sunday nights is cackling. As are we all.

• Love 2

Oh, come on, Bobby and Giada-- you could've eaten Amy's dish. You've had worse things in your mouth. (And why couldn't they have just tasted the chicken part? It was cooked, after all.)

So Cory announces that he's "going back to Louisiana." Has no one told him about Star Salvation?

• Love 4
(edited)

FN Star keeps alive its string of never having the best chef win this thing. Well, in reality, actually being a great chef or having "food authority" has not been a requirement for getting a show on FN for years now. They're just hiring people that they think will appeal to viewers (or "celebrities") and giving them scripts to read.

This episode was about building up Amy, because since she was the one woman left they didn't want people to see her as a laughing stock. I guess saying that you're a mother and mentioning your kids ages qualifies as telling a personal story? She could go on to win this thing and I still wouldn't see her as anything but a competent home cook.

The whole "ginormous food" thing is symbolic of the dumbing down of Food Network. It doesn't show any skill or creativity to take a dish and "supersize it." It's just gross. The bearded hipster dude who hosts their ginormous food show, and the new "Man vs. Food" host are more of the big, sloppy dude in flannel shirt type that FN thinks people want to watch. Every year FN Star gives us at least one and usually several of those. This year's version is Rusty.

Here's an idea for a new FN show. It's a variation of Next Food Network Star, but all the contestant are big sloppy dudebros. It would be called "The Next Guy Fieri."

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 19
17 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

LOL Hula-la I posted the same thing after you!  Wasn't that horrifying?

I did enjoy the second segment of the live stream and then Alex cooking along side of them remotely.  That was entertaining to watch.

I have been teaching Home Ec for 20 years and have done more demos than I care to count. I have never forgotten to wash my hands or utensils during a dem, even while talking to my class (and getting that one kid to stop talking--please, just stop talking while I'm talking!). Besides, if I didn't wash my hands, those kids would be on me (except that one, who's still talking!). 

I agree that the live stream was fun. Reminds me a bit of class, with kids coming up with cool questions and comments during a dem. It made things more lively, and it looked like Alex was having a blast. 

• Love 6

OhnoyoudidnoteliminateCoryandkeepthatinsulttoalllivingthingsontheplanetMatt.

We know the fix is in, and that handsome Cory will come trotting back on his majestic white steed to vanquish the evil MattMonster.

Why do they torment us this way, and why do we fall for it?

Retiring now to put cold compresses on forehead.

• Love 15
(edited)

Cory wasn't my favorite from a personality standpoint, but I thought he was going to be the winner. I also thought Addie and Jason would be carried to the end, Addie would join Bobby and Demaris' talk show and Jason would take over as a judge on the baking shows, and that better happen because Damiano is as bad as Katie Lee. Anyway, clearly my judgment isn't the greatest and it's a good thing I don't bet on these things.

Just like last week(?) with the hammies, I had another eye-roller in this episode when Alex, Bobby, and Giada didn't know the trick Jason did with the plates to cut the grape tomatoes. That is the same thing you do with grapes when you have young kids. Alex and Giada both have at least one kid, and I think Bobby does, too, but don't remember for certain; I know he cooks for his cat, though. In any case, if they were really that impressed by something he may not have even realized was impressive to them, maybe he won't be carried to the end, but win outright on his own merits. Even though the best chef doesn't always win, I don't think he or Amy are at the skill level of Cory, {sigh} Rusty, or {gag} Matthew. All three of them have made food I would want to try, especially {sigh} Rusty. I'm not a fan of peppers, don't like the flavor, and both Cory and Matthew often use them, as does Bobby come to think of it.

Either PTV or my computer is being flaky, and won't let me bring this quote over from the Food Network thread under Network Talk. It was posted by @ny1221 on Wednesday:

Programming Notes:

-'Ginormous Food' and 'Incredible Edible America', which were advertised and promoted to go on the air this past Friday and Monday night respectively, were taken off abruptly from the schedule altogether and, as of now, aren't returning to the network. Ratings for 'Ginormous' were way down from its first season and 'Edible' had terrible ratings, surpassed even by 'Tia Mowry at Home'. FN has had troubles trying to find a successful companion to 'DDD' and a Monday 10P hit show and the new one called 'I Hart Food' doesn't look promising looking at the promos. 

-Also leaving the schedule completely is 'Chopped Junior'. It's unclear if it was cancelled or its coming back even in reruns, although this 'Chopped' shows have plenty of episodes taped months in advance regarding ratings, as 'Chopped Junior's' were also down from its first season. Proof about it is that this Sunday, the first challenge on 'Food Network Star' is based on 'Ginormous Food'. As 'FNS' was taped in January and the new season of 'Ginormous' didn't start until April, they didn't know the show would go down as it was.

They should have known, but as I bitched in that thread, they brought Katie Lee's Bouncing Around in a Bikini Beach Bites back for a new season, and it is never even in the top 15. Reruns of Guy's show routinely beat it last season.

ETA: I forgot to mention Giada pronouncing spaghetti and meatballs in American and not Italian. She has been given a lot of flack over the years for insisting on a pronounciation used in the region of Italy she came from instead of the dialect here, and it often sounded stupid. Another chef once pointed out to her that in the region of Italy from which he hailed, it was pronounced differently, and I remember the grin dropping from her face. It wasn't on this show, but on a talk show, I think, and she was trying to correct a young chef who was helping her with her presentation. I howled with laughter because it is so true. I'm wondering if this time it was a nod to the viewers, and Alton, who found her ridiculous.

Edited by Christina
Added paragraph
  • Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Well, in reality, actually being a great chef or having "food authority" has not been a requirement for getting a show on FN for years now. They're just hiring people that they think will appeal to viewers (or "celebrities") and giving them scripts to read.

If they want to know why ratings are slipping all the way across the network, this is exactly it.

Imagine the pitch meetings for this mess of a network since Tuschman left.  It's gone from people cooking to people eating.

"Give us a country singer! An actress from the 1970s! The wife of an NBA player! A 'comedienne' nobody finds funny! A YouTube 'star'! Someone probably more famous for marrying (and divorcing) Billy Joel than actually cooking anything! Kid versions of EVERYTHING WE DO! Douchey kids! Food 15 times the size of what anyone could possibly consume! Scratch Guy Fieri a check to take a family vacation and eat a bunch of random shit everywhere he stops! A show called Food Network Star where we don't even actually find a star! *farrrrrrrrrt*"

I've largely given up on this garbage, since it's mostly going to be about which dunce they have left can put together Instagram videos that nobody watches.  Will it be the dudebro? The insufferable asshole everyone wanted gone the first time and not to be brought back twice? The folksy southern guy with the catchphrases? The giggly home cook who wouldn't make it past the first round of any of the other 96291 competition shows on this lightly-polished turd of a network? Whomever survives the fustercluck that is Star Salvation? 

Tune in next week to find out!

Oh, and boobs.

Edited by Tyrone Biggums
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, Tyrone Biggums said:

"Give us a country singer! An actress from the 1970s! The wife of an NBA player! A 'comedienne' nobody finds funny! A YouTube 'star'! Someone probably more famous for marrying (and divorcing) Billy Joel than actually cooking anything! Kid versions of EVERYTHING WE DO! Douchey kids! Food 15 times the size of what anyone could possibly consume! Scratch Guy Fieri a check to take a family vacation and eat a bunch of random shit everywhere he stops! A show called Food Network Star where we don't even actually find a star! *farrrrrrrrrt*"

So thats what that"Guy's Big Project" show presumably is..yet another "Guy and his family go on vacation" series..shouldnt it be on Travel Channel?

Id have figured Alex wouldnt be too thrilled to see Matthew again LOL

• Love 1
6 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Boobs.

I think they got exactly what they wanted out of this episode.  That was beyond distracting. 

I'm a happily straight female, but even I couldn't see anything but her boobs.

3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

We know the fix is in, and that handsome Cory will come trotting back on his majestic white steed to vanquish the evil MattMonster.

It had better play out that way. It looked to me like everyone is tired, and with Cory it showed. I think by this time in the competition, everyone is worn out and tired of thinking up cutesy things to please Bobby and Giada. I would be. 

This entire show has become a farce. If you do have a show, or make an appearance somewhere, you've got more then 3-2-1-GO to come up with concepts, a script of what to talk about, etc.

2 hours ago, Christina said:

I had another eye-roller in this episode when Alex, Bobby, and Giada didn't know the trick Jason did with the plates to cut the grape tomatoe

Alex has demo'd that before. Bobby did on one of his grilling shows. It's where I learned about it....on this network.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yes, the only purpose of this episode was to build up Amy.  On one hand she should have been kicked off for the chicken issue, but on the other hand, poisoning Gee-Ah-Da wouldn't be such a bad thing.....  (Only kidding, I can't stand the woman, but don't wish that on her)

Even though he was talking fast, this kind of segment was right in Matthew's wheelhouse.  Jason and Rusty were good too.

Amy was supposed to make pancakes, not some gross, pink frosted, sprinkled thing.  She should have been booted for botching both segments last night.

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 10

This ep didn't air in my neck of the woods!  My DVR shows it recording on 7/27 instead??? 

So happy to hear the huge food shows are off the schedule.  Not that I ever watched them, but the ads for them gross me out.  There is no need for burgers as large as a swimming pool.  I do not need to see an ice cream sundae with 50 scoops and 2 gallons of toppings.  I get that some of these concoctions re done as marketing stunts, or fundraising, etc.  But if a restaurant's claim to fame is serving quesadillas with a 4 foot diameter, I'm never going there.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

If I overstepped on anyone's toes by starting this episode thread I'm sorry, but it's been over an hour and it wasn't here.

I'm not sure what exactly was so all-fire horrible about Cory's presentation. Surely he could get better with practice. Amy only mentioned as a throwaway line the ages of her children and somehow that counts as talking about her family, and she cross-contaminated her food so the judges couldn't eat it.  

It's ok.  I went in around 8pm my time and unhid it, but I guess it didn't take although I didn't realize it until just now. 

47 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

This ep didn't air in my neck of the woods!  My DVR shows it recording on 7/27 instead???

They usually do a late night/early morning repeat during the week (Thursday sounds about right).  My DVR can record up to 2 shows at once, but after that it should go looking for other airings for lower priority stuff - maybe that's what happened for you?  I know I intentionally set it to get FNS later last night so I could record Thrones (yay HBO free weekend!) and have the main feed free to channel flip.

I am certainly no prude (!!!!!!!) but why did Giada and her stylist think that white dress with the massive cutout was appropriate culinary mentor wear?  America's Got Talent, maybe.

If we have to look at Giada's girls every week, I want to see Bobby in a Speedo.

• Love 8

Cutout designs are stylish right now. But on a food competition?  Project Runway, maybe.

Did we see Giada actually taste a few bites of food this episode?  Maybe TPTB have noticed the ridicule.

Poor Cory.  Such a good chef; so unable to talk about it on camera.

• Love 5

I hope that Alex's typing of "your (sic) handsome" was a deliberate attempt to replicate typical internet-speak and not how she thinks the contraction for "you are" is spelled. If it wasn't deliberate, if I were Alex, I'd be embarrassed by the fact that they chose to highlight it on the screen several times. But then I guess most people really don't care about those kinds of things anymore.

Cory made a fatal mistake by choosing the spaghetti and meatballs dish. When Bobby and Giada pointed out the availability of the huge loaves of bread, it should've been obvious that ANY of the other four choices, which all used those large bread items, would have been preferable. There's no good way that I can think of to make "ginormous" spaghetti and meatballs in such a short time anyway. If you had adequate time, you could create huge, thick pieces of pasta as well as large meatballs, but not in 30 minutes. The contestants with the choices that involved bread had most the work done for them in advance.

• Love 6
(edited)

There was no way Cory's giant meatballs weren't going to be disgusting.  He should have made and baked 500 sub-cocktail sized meatballs and piled them up like a mountain with a single strand of spaghetti draped across the top. Because who really cares about the spaghetti, amirite?

I've never looked at  Instagram or anything, but unless proven wrong I don't believe this bit of someone cooking something in real time while people at home cook along and ask questions is something that really happens outside of the context of this show.  I know Asshole said it was just like the ones he did from his living room, which was roughly as credible as rampant voter fraud or that there was an audience watching them do the ones we saw last night (which one or two of the others referred to).  But I believe our "mentors" were implying that this was something FNS's did all the time.

ETA: boobs

Edited by Totale
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Totale said:

There was no way Cory's giant meatballs weren't going to be disgusting.  He should have made and baked 500 sub-cocktail sized meatballs and piled them up like a mountain with a single strand of spaghetti draped across the top. Because who really cares about the spaghetti, amirite?

I was thinking the same thing. A big pyramid... "who needs a food pyramid when you can feast on this?" That would have been gold. Hindsight, Cory is kicking himself enough as it is.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Alex has demo'd that before. Bobby did on one of his grilling shows. It's where I learned about it....on this network.

Rachel Ray too - except the time I saw her do it, she used the clear plastic lid from a take out food container, which I prefer because you can see the tomatoes as you're slicing.

Unlike everyone else, I was surprised by this episode because I've always expected the winner to be Cory or Jason.  Even stranger, if what they showed us was anywhere close to the truth of the demos, I agreed with the decision.  I guess I'm just naive.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, J-Man said:

I hope that Alex's typing of "your (sic) handsome" was a deliberate attempt to replicate typical internet-speak and not how she thinks the contraction for "you are" is spelled. If it wasn't deliberate, if I were Alex, I'd be embarrassed by the fact that they chose to highlight it on the screen several times. But then I guess most people really don't care about those kinds of things anymore.

Cory made a fatal mistake by choosing the spaghetti and meatballs dish. When Bobby and Giada pointed out the availability of the huge loaves of bread, it should've been obvious that ANY of the other four choices, which all used those large bread items, would have been preferable. There's no good way that I can think of to make "ginormous" spaghetti and meatballs in such a short time anyway. If you had adequate time, you could create huge, thick pieces of pasta as well as large meatballs, but not in 30 minutes. The contestants with the choices that involved bread had most the work done for them in advance.

Yes, it was cringe worthy for me too. 

However, we can take refuge that not everyone these days has given up on proper spelling and grammar. My 14 year old daughter caught it and rewound it to point it out to me. I was so cheered that she noticed it! 

I don't know why the editors didn't fix it for Alex because during Cory's demo, someone asked 'where do you get duckfat' and when it was highlighted on screen, the editors changed the text to 'duck fat.' I wonder who Alex pissed off LOL 

• Love 8

I'm as far from being a healthy eater as you can get (all meat, no vegetables), but this whole "ginormous food" thing is completely disgusting.  Why would anyone make a 6 pound hamburger?  No one can eat that much, and if its for a group, the first thing you would do is cut it into smaller parts anyway, so what's the point?  It's simply glorified gluttony.

My favorite part was when Jason was doing his video and he whipped out his over-sized pan and said "Why this here pan is bigger than mah whole head!".  Then they cut to Giada with her giant smile, and I just knew she was thinking, "Yeah, but its not bigger than MINE!" LOL

• Love 19

WHAT?!!!  Did I actually miss noticing Giada's boobs?  Not that I was panting to see them, but I love calling her out for showing them.

I am beyond destroyed that Cory is gone, especially in favor of someone who failed to wash her hands and deprive the judges from tasting her food.  I dare say that if Cory had done that, they'd have sent him home.  How did Addie escape the wrath of the judges?  I'm being a sore loser, maybe, but it doesn't seem fair.  I thought that Corey  would have been perfect as a new host of a cooking show.  I like Jason and had seen him on the baking show, and I think he'd do a good job, but my  heart was set on Cory.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Lura said:

I am beyond destroyed that Cory is gone, especially in favor of someone who failed to wash her hands and deprive the judges from tasting her food

I think they have to have a woman in the final four. Cory may be the comeback kid, outshining all of these goofs. 

• Love 1

Well, there were certainly plenty of boobs on display.  And also LBH's rack.

Why, oh, why does Rusty feel the need to scream out his presentations as if he were at a pep rally?  Every time he does I think not only of Guy Fieri but He Who Shall Not Be Named.  Neither of which is a desirable comparison.

I don't know who the guest judge was for the first challenge but what struck me is how she apparently got her job without having to run this gauntlet.  Why do some people who aren't country music singers or other D-list celebrities get a FN platform while others are required to go through this long, painful, pointless audition?

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I think they have to have a woman in the final four. Cory may be the comeback kid, outshining all of these goofs. 

I think Cory will win Comeback Salvation whatever kitchen and reenter the competition much improved. Kind of like Dom in his season.

Did I hear Jason drop another "honey" on Amy? I'm sure he means it in an endearing manner, but I find it to be a condescending way to refer to a fellow professional. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lura said:

WHAT?!!!  Did I actually miss noticing Giada's boobs?  Not that I was panting to see them, but I love calling her out for showing them.

You could not miss them if you tried. They were front and center the whole time.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Wait, so Amy outlasted Cory? Amy? The annoying mom with zero sense of food authority outlasted the chef? BWAAAHAHAHAA oh, this show! Why do they even pretend this is about food?

And it's this kind of stuff that pisses me off the most. They think their viewers are imbeciles. They think we're stupid, that we won't catch on. 

• Love 6
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Wait, so Amy outlasted Cory? Amy? The annoying mom with zero sense of food authority outlasted the chef? BWAAAHAHAHAA oh, this show! Why do they even pretend this is about food?

I find it questionable whether they even base it on presentation.  Amy's presentations have been a mess more times than Cory's, plus haven't they sent many people home on food safety issues alone in the past?  Why is that now all of a sudden forgivable, especially if they can't even feel that the food is safe enough to eat?  I mean, what does this woman have to do to be sent home?  Burn down the freaking KITCHEN?  She even apologized in this episode for always cursing and then apologizing for it!   Meanwhile, it's only in the past 2 episodes that Cory stumbled a bit, and in comparison to Amy, only a BIT.  I knew he'd be eliminated, though, because they seem to want to keep Amy around, although I'm not sure I agree that it's to be in the final four because there have been seasons with an all male final 4 (like Season 11 when Eddie won).  God only knows why they're rescuing her.  I hope Cory is the one designated to come back much improved.

2 hours ago, HahYallDoin said:

I don't know why the editors didn't fix it for Alex because during Cory's demo, someone asked 'where do you get duckfat' and when it was highlighted on screen, the editors changed the text to 'duck fat.' I wonder who Alex pissed off LOL 

I wouldn't be surprised if not only Alex but whoever was charged with correcting her grammar missed it.  Yes, I am that cynical and I do believe that many people today are grammar impaired, even those charged with correcting it!   And I'm sure that Alex would cop to being a chef first, and not always up on the "finer" points of grammar.

2 hours ago, rab01 said:

Rachel Ray too - except the time I saw her do it, she used the clear plastic lid from a take out food container, which I prefer because you can see the tomatoes as you're slicing.

Rachael Ray has done it so many times on her show that I'm sure there's no way Bobby and Giada haven't at least heard of it before.  In fact, I almost think I've seen it on this show before!  But it was interesting to see them feign surprise, anyway.

4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I am certainly no prude (!!!!!!!) but why did Giada and her stylist think that white dress with the massive cutout was appropriate culinary mentor wear?  America's Got Talent, maybe.

That wasn't a cut out.  That was what Stacy and Clinton used to call a "boob window".  :D

4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

If we have to look at Giada's girls every week, I want to see Bobby in a Speedo.

Oh, vomit!  I'm a straight woman and I'd rather look at the girls!  Now I need brain bleach for the image of Bobby in a Speedo! :-P

5 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Sometimes on rare occasion my cable company (Comcast) lists a new episode as a repeat and so the DVR doesn't record it, then lists a repeat as a new episode.  So maybe that's what happened to you?

Edited by Snarklepuss
Correcting my own grammar, UGH!
  • Love 7

I forgot all about the salvation. Yep, Cory's coming back. Last year, I liked that show better than this one and thought it showcased their abilities better. Even Matthew wasn't as awful, but that entire show was only like 10 minutes per episode, so there wasn't a lot of time available for him to be an ass.

Just like with the "hammies" where they acted like they had never heard of them, Alex grabbed the plates and said, "Will that work?" then acted excited that it did. Of course she knew it would work, they all did, but were acting impressed by it, which irritated me. By now, there is absolutely no reason for me to expect that they are not going to treat me like an idiot, and yet, I keep getting irritated while watching. My ultimate problem, I think, is that I keep watching while sober. It's another thing I know better than to do, yet keep doing it.

• Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, smiley13 said:

Amy was supposed to make pancakes, not some gross, pink frosted, sprinkled thing.  She should have been booted for botching both segments last night.

Another reason Amy should have been gone long ago is that she ends every presentation by stuffing food in her mouth, then having half of it dribble down her chin. It's gross. How can you respect someone as a "food authority" when they eat like a kindergartner. But the fix was obviously in from the beginning to get Amy to the finals. This episode was actually the first time all season that her presentation was semi-coherent. But Cory has one bad week and he's gone. Well, maybe as a lot of people are posting, the script is for him to return and "redeem" himself.

6 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

So happy to hear the huge food shows are off the schedule.  Not that I ever watched them, but the ads for them gross me out.  There is no need for burgers as large as a swimming pool. 

And not to sound like too much of a bleeding heart, but I can't help think about all the people in the world who are lucky to eat one meal while these bozos gorge themselves for no real purpose other than "entertainment." Arguably you can say that about other FN shows that waste food, but the "ginormous food" thing is really over-the-top piggishness.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 8
(edited)

This week's travesty episode made me really, really sad.  Not that Cory isn't The Ego That Ate Louisiana, but he seemed so defeated throughout the entire affair.  When I think of how buoyant he was at the start of the season (and yes, I do mean when presenting to camera) I can't help but wonder**.....isn't there something fundamentally wrong with a competition that's supposed to inspire talent, but that breaks the spirit of someone so obviously talented?

Loved the look on Kid Hashtag's face when he walked into the kitchen to see Alex Guarnaschelli.  He didn't recognize her, huh?  Did he magically forget having called her a "beast" in front of a million viewers two seasons ago?

It's Jason's to win now, unless they bring Cory dashing back on his (somehow appropriate) white steed.  

Can't stand listening to Rusty holler at the camera for one more week (let alone that they keep praising him for it).  I know they're in search of a new Guy Fieri, but this guy ain't it.  ("Stop trying to make Rusty happen!  He's not going to happen!")  And this, from a viewer who can't even stand Guy Fieri.

Pancakes with magenta frosting and sprinkles?  Amy needs to be removed, if only for giving a bad name to blondes everywhere by aggressively reinforcing the stereotype. 

And finally: boobs.

**pardon the Carrie Bradshaw

Edited by TomCorps
effed up the spelling of Guarnaschelli
  • Love 9
18 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

"Your handsome" ???!!!   Couldn't that have been fixed in post production so one of their stars doesn't look illiterate?

We at ptv are probably the only ones who noticed, considering FN's current target audience.  But then, we are eddycated!!!

• Love 9

Now this ep is available OnDemand in my area, so I watched on my lunch hour.  Wish I didn't.  Not sure which was more nauseating...the display of large bread based dishes or Giada's large breast based get up.  I guess there is no phrase for "less is more" in Italian?  Dial down the boobage Giada!  Is she auditioning for some new "Cooking After Dark" concept for Cinemax?  Is Frederick's of Hollywood the sponsor? 

And Bobby seems more and more over this farce each week.  I can't keep up with the number of eye rolls he's throwing at this group. Can't say I blame him.  None of these cooks are standouts. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, TomCorps said:

He didn't recognize her, huh?  Did he magically forget having called her a "beast" in front of a million viewers two seasons ago?

He's such an ass. And we know he's an ass. But FN thinks we're dumb, that we don't remember two seasons ago.

God, I hope Cory comes back and cuts Matthew's non-existant nuts off.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Boobs.

Boobs.

Boobs.

Boobs.

9 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I'm a happily straight female, but even I couldn't see anything but her boobs.

I don't even remember the beginning of the show, just Giada's boobs.

4 hours ago, Lura said:

Remember what Corey's meatballs looked like before he cut them into pieces? Now imagine them attached to Giada's chest & that's what you missed.

I knew Corey was going home as soon as he cut his meatballs into pieces, the guest judge was right, there was nothing ginormous about his plate. 

I thought this was a stupid challenge, why would they ever have to make food that size? And all their tips were stupid to "use this giant size pan!", what other kind of tip could they have?

• Love 4
(edited)
59 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Dial down the boobage Giada!  Is she auditioning for some new "Cooking After Dark" concept for Cinemax?  Is Frederick's of Hollywood the sponsor? 

Did it seem to anyone else that every time one of the contestants said "ginormous" there was a shot of Giada's "girls" spilling out of her dress? Maybe that's just my level of immaturity. Or the editor's. (New show title: "Giadanormous Foods.")

1 hour ago, shksabelle said:

"Your handsome" ???!!!   Couldn't that have been fixed in post production so one of their stars doesn't look illiterate?

In this new texting/tweeting word, "your" saves two characters over "you're," and you can type it that much faster. I see this in work emails I get from people who definitely know the difference. It's a combination of laziness and trying to do everything as quickly as possible. Soon, contractions will be a thing of the post. It's too much of a hassle to enter an apostrophe.

Edited by bluepiano