Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

I think all the female Duggar names are so random. Jinger makes you think of strippers, Jessa and Jordyn are fairly modern, Jennifer is very dated, Jana, JoyAnna and Johannah are just variations of the same name, Jill is very plain and Josie is kind of a throwaway name. They definitely left a lot of better "J" names on the table.

• Love 2

I'm remembering it was Michelle who really liked the name Ginger but by that time they were committed to J names so they changed the spelling. I think Jim Bob was advocating for Julie for one of the little girls which seems like a name they would have used earlier.

My name here and in real life both start with J, and both are quite pretty, if I do say so myself. So I never know if I should be bitter that the Duggars did not choose them, or secretly delighted that they did not.

I will go with secretly delighted, if only to prove that my parents have far better taste than J Bob and Mechellle ever will.

It's odd that Jana's personality did a complete 360 shortly after she started attending and leading JTTH seminars. From what I've read from former Gothard Fundies, he had a very specific physical type that he liked to target and select to come work as "secretaries" at his headquarters. Both Priscilla and Jana are blonde, attractive, vulnerable; it just makes you wonder....

I think you mean a complete 180 because a 360 is a circle thus ending where you started ;)

• Love 4

I still wonder if Jana refusing all men that Jim Bob has tried to introduce to her is her quiet way of rebelling. She isn't going to fulfill her parent's chosen destiny of marrying young and having 19 children. It's too bad she doesn't have a specific career goal of wanting to do something like be a missionary , that would take her away from her home. Wasn't Priscilla Keller an employee at Gothard headquarters for awhile before she married David? It may not have been an ideal job but at least it was something different than staying home and raising her mother's children and being stuck with all the household duties.

• Love 1

My guess is Michelle resents Jana because Jana is the first girl born into the family. Jana would be competition for Jim Bob's attention. In other words,Jana was probably doted on by Jim Bob and Michelle being the narcissist that she is, resented Jana for that.

• Love 7

I just spent some time looking at her blog. I will say one thing, she definitely seems more literate and experienced with the outside world than the Duggars. She homescshools but she mentions a homeschool group, a speech contest with the Rotary club, Leave it to Beaver (so she's heard of TV shows LOL), and being in a play. At least that's a step in the right direction.

• Love 9

This is pretty surprising and, frankly, sad. Isn't Josiah younger than even Josh (who basically rushed into a relationship and marriage because he was "struggling with certain thoughts") was when he started courting Anna? I've always thought Josiah was the smartest Duggar and hoped he would be able to break the mold despite the shackles put on him by his family/cult. I tend to think this early courtship is a sign of the opposite happening.

• Love 5

She's written a book about the Bible, too:

If I were to ask you to describe the Bible for me in three words, would you pick words like "phenomenal," "gripping," and "thrilling?" Not many Christians would, because most of us are under the sad misconception that the Bible is a dull, tedious book for religious folks. Such is not the case. You and I are about to embark on a journey through genres galore, viewing the Bible in full blast, high-definition color. No matter what age you are, the Bible is for you. What is this Book, lovingly nicknamed the "Sword of the Spirit?" (Ephesians 6:17) and authored by God Himself with the power to change lives, heal wounds, mend broken hearts, and equip warriors? There's only one right answer: It's the Greatest Book You've Never Read.

I can't really disagree with her too much, at least where the Old Testament is concerned. Reading the OT during church got me through some seriously boring sermons back in the day.

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 7

I am shocked. For real. I thought the next courtship would be Jana or John David. Especially since the public has been calling them out on Jana's status of 25 single full time nany/mother/cook

I am hoping that Josiah and his lady friend run for the hills after marriage. That poor kid! He is much more attractive than his older brothers, so hopefully he is using marriage as a way to freedom. Free Josiah. 

• Love 4

I posted this on the Grandma and other Duggar Kids thread, but I think it's more apporpriate here. Mods can delete the other if it's redundant. (Sorry!)

I don't want to get too excited (I can't handle another DerickDullard letdown) but I think Marjorie has some potential. 

A) she was Maria in the sound of Music. (Maria was a nun...Catholic!) I'm assuming there were males not related to her were also in the show. And it was a show that wasn't a reproduction of someone in her family getting engaged, so hurray for culture!

B) I scanned her blog briefly and saw references to reading books! And apparently she wrote a book?! 

C) pants

D) I'm assuming based on her mother's name being Analucia, and teaching Josiah Spanish, that she's at least half Latina. So hurray for some cultural diversity for the Duggars! (Boo for Boob inevitably saying "hola" a thousand times)

Do we know where she lives? I thought Siah was going to Clown College with Joe? If she's in TN, I'm going to be so ecstatic.

• Love 9

Unfortunately, she also name-drops God's Not Dead which was just embarrassing from both a cinematic and a Christian perspective. But she's young yet. 

While I agree I don't think it's really something to be too upset about compared to the potential plusses of pants, reading, less kids, potential ethnic diversity. Just think how many "regular" kids love movies that are embarrassing from both a cinematic and brain waste perspective.

• Love 3

Didn't Josh, when he was getting married, say that he thought Josiah would be the next to marry? And everyone thought that was so weird because Josiah was only 12 at the time?

Yes! I think he said something like Josiah has a certain special charisma, which I agree with. John and Joe don't really have that special spark. No matter how annoying Smuggar is, he definitely comes across as more intelligent and well spoken than some of the others.

While I agree I don't think it's really something to be too upset about compared to the potential plusses of pants, reading, less kids, potential ethnic diversity. Just think how many "regular" kids love movies that are embarrassing from both a cinematic and brain waste perspective.

That's true. Just look at how much money the twilight movies made. (Sadly, I was one of "those girls" in a team Jacob t-shirt when I was 16)

• Love 5

lol I was being facetious. I just wanted to snark on the movie. 

It's not like she talked up Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas, anyway... 

• Love 3

For a country boy, Josiah sure has good taste in some modern shoes. They are hot here in Chicago. Go Josiah! 

So does this mean that the house that Josh brought might be a rental situation for his brother? Or are they truly moving back so Anna has help with the kids?

So does this mean that the house that Josh brought might be a rental situation for his brother? Or are they truly moving back so Anna has help with the kids?

Eh, maybe they just want to have some place of their own to stay during the many times they come to visit.

Yes! I think he said something like Josiah has a certain special charisma, which I agree with. John and Joe don't really have that special spark. No matter how annoying Smuggar is, he definitely comes across as more intelligent and well spoken than some of the others.

That's true. Just look at how much money the twilight movies made. (Sadly, I was one of "those girls" in a team Jacob t-shirt when I was 16)

LOL - Twilight was not popular in our house. My girls who were old enough both thought the books were crap. Of course they like other things - the 15 year old is obsessed with Supernatural. But I will always be proud they they all think Justin Bieber should be castrated and deported back to Canada LOL

• Love 9

Isn't Josiah the one who had to spend a lot of time away at ALERT? And I remember hearing a lot of speculation that he was gay. I know the mods have (understandably) forbidden speculation about the sexual orientation of any underage Duggars, but since Josiah's 18, it's okay as long as it's not done offensively? Mostly I'm concerned about the possibility of his rushing into a courtship if any of the previous rumors have merit. I truly hope for his sake that they don't.

I never really followed that particular rumor all that much so I don't know if there were any grounds to believe it, or if people were just playing the whole "statistically it's likely that one of the Duggars is gay" game.

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 9

Josiah is 18. I hope this is a long courtship.  I bet they're courting him off, so the rumors don't get out of control. Whatever. Let's see how this shakes out. They've only been courting for a few days, and she could break it off.

• Love 9

I posted this on the Grandma and other Duggar Kids thread, but I think it's more apporpriate here. Mods can delete the other if it's redundant. (Sorry!)

I don't want to get too excited (I can't handle another DerickDullard letdown) but I think Marjorie has some potential. 

A) she was Maria in the sound of Music. (Maria was a nun...Catholic!) I'm assuming there were males not related to her were also in the show. And it was a show that wasn't a reproduction of someone in her family getting engaged, so hurray for culture!

B) I scanned her blog briefly and saw references to reading books! And apparently she wrote a book?! 

C) pants

D) I'm assuming based on her mother's name being Analucia, and teaching Josiah Spanish, that she's at least half Latina. So hurray for some cultural diversity for the Duggars! (Boo for Boob inevitably saying "hola" a thousand times)

Do we know where she lives? I thought Siah was going to Clown College with Joe? If she's in TN, I'm going to be so ecstatic.

Her father's FB page says they live in Springdale, Arkansas.   Not only is Marjorie pictured in jeans, her mother is in jeans in a couple year old family picture.  Though they are too young, it is nice to see him involved with a little more "worldly" family.  

• Love 5

He has spent a lot of time at ALERT but I don't know if there is anything to the rumor other than an attempt to give a reason he's been there as much as he has.

As far as the nationality of Marjorie's mom, there is a picture of their whole family and she definitely looks like she could have some Hispanic in her. She's beautiful and she's wearing JEANS! Of course guessing ethnicity is a dangerous game I know, speaking as a mom of 3 interracial girls and no one ever correctly guesses their ethnicity LOL. 

• Love 4

Her father's FB page says they live in Springdale, Arkansas.   Not only is Marjorie pictured in jeans, her mother is in jeans in a couple year old family picture.  Though they are too young, it is nice to see him involved with a little more "worldly" family.  

I don't think I'd get too excited about the jeans. Whitney, who married Zach Bates, used to wear pants until she was "convicted to only wear skirts" following her marriage to Zach.

Also, his mom is Guatemalan (according to Marjorie's bio).

Edited by graefin
  • Love 3

The People article has made it seem like they've know each other for awhile. I wonder if their "relationship" was the reason that Josiah had to go to ALERT.

If that's the case and they've been involved for awhile, the age isn't as big a deal. It doesn't seem nearly as bad as Jill's Skype courtship.

• Love 4

They are definitely Fundy religious - her speech to the Rotary club was full of tells - but like Ben's family they don't appear to be isolated. Their teenage daughter has a blog and communicates with other teenagers. That's enormous.

• Love 8

This is the one I'm really excited for. The Duggars could really use some diversity. It fascinates me every time we see a minority in this homogenized group. And if Josiah's learning Spanish, he's realizing it's a big world out there and that there are many great ways to live and communicate. Of course, I thought the same thing about Derick and Jill.

At the same time, as a Latina, I'm prepared to be very annoyed at the way JB and some of the kids talk about Marjorie's culture. Turning up their noses at whatever food is prepared for them, speaking bad Spanglish, asking ignorant questions and just overall treating Marjorie's family as the foreigner.

• Love 11

I hold out NO hopes that this relationship will somehow liberalize Josiah. Not after Derrick. I also don't think it will fail. The Duggars have too much invested in their image for it not to work out 'perfectly'. Expect a free house and Job for Josiah. Maybe we'll see another 3 month courtship, 3 month engagement. They're young enough to go long with that.

• Love 5

The People article has made it seem like they've know each other for awhile. I wonder if their "relationship" was the reason that Josiah had to go to ALERT.

If that's the case and they've been involved for awhile, the age isn't as big a deal. It doesn't seem nearly as bad as Jill's Skype courtship.

That's a theory I could get behind. I was always a little hesitant to assume things, just because Josiah comes across as more polished than JD and Joe.

If Josiah had legitimate feelings for Marj, but JB and Jchelle said he was too young to court, maybe he tried to go around them and spend unsupervised time with her behind their backs? Like, "hey Boob and Mullet, I'm going for an extra Spanish lesson." And then Marjorie says, "hey mom, I have play practice" and they go get ice cream or something of an equally scandalous nature.

• Love 5

17 and 18!!?!  This should be a high school prom date and not courting, marriage, and baby carriage!

It's as old as JB and M were when they got married.

Didn't Josh, when he was getting married, say that he thought Josiah would be the next to marry? And everyone thought that was so weird because Josiah was only 12 at the time?

Maybe Josiah was "struggling with certain thoughts" too. And Josh would have known about it because there's no such thing as a private thought in that house.

• Love 9

They are definitely Fundy religious - her speech to the Rotary club was full of tells - but like Ben's family they don't appear to be isolated. Their teenage daughter has a blog and communicates with other teenagers. That's enormous.

Well I don't think anyone expects him to marry/court someone who isn't Fundie. I just want someone who has communicated with other teens and read a book besides the Bible. Wearing jeans is good too

• Love 2

I just want someone who has communicated with other teens and read a book besides the Bible.

Her book is about how everyone needs to read the bible. Groan. Hooray for self publishing.

She comes off as a normal 17-year old - "I know everything". I guess that's something.

• Love 2

A year of exile at Alert and straight into a courtship?  Seems a bit fishy to me.

I like that she is more worldly, and a little cultural diversity certainly would not hurt the Duggars.

Josiah will be 19 in August.  If this courtship is longer, like Jessa's and Ben's, and given that she is only 17 I can see that happening,  then the wedding might not take place until he is 20.

Again, though, how will they support themselves?  Where will they live?

Feels like this is scripted.  Two girls married, time for a boy to get hitched to switch things up a bit.

I just hope he actually wants this and isn't being pressured into it.  If he truly wants to pursue this then I wish him nothing but the best.

• Love 4

There are positives here -- Josiah has never fit into his own family, probably bc he's a bit smarter than them (though he fit in just fine when he was a pre-teen and really bought into the "we do things different and better than you" mantra). This family may be the right "fit" for him -- a girl who reads books and isn't isolated, even if she is fundie/fundie lite; and a multicultural side -- he can continue learning Spanish, her mom will probably be spoiling him with whatever his favorite meals turn out to be in their home; and he can get in with a "tight" family who will love him.

But then he's 18 with no education and she lives in Springdale. That means they are staying local and JB will be creating a job for him; the article says he does "construction" for dad, so I guess that's where he stays. He isn't a manual labor kind of guy (nothing wrong with it -- but it doesn't seem like his thing), but with a wife by age 19 (I'm assuming), unless her family is REALLY supportive and encouraging and sort of "mandates" that he go to school while working in return for allowing the marriage -- he gets to remain in a daddy created manual labor job for life and thus has JB calling the shots.

• Love 9

I am extremely happy for Josiah.  He seems like a very nice and kind young man.  Josiah first appeared on my radar when he was the first to hug and congratulate Ben on his courtship with Jessa.  Josiah and Ben seem to have a close relationship.  At the wedding, I noticed he was the one straightening Ben's jacket and bow tie.  Marjorie is a lucky young lady. 

• Love 4

This is the one I'm really excited for. The Duggars could really use some diversity. It fascinates me every time we see a minority in this homogenized group. And if Josiah's learning Spanish, he's realizing it's a big world out there and that there are many great ways to live and communicate. Of course, I thought the same thing about Derick and Jill.

At the same time, as a Latina, I'm prepared to be very annoyed at the way JB and some of the kids talk about Marjorie's culture. Turning up their noses at whatever food is prepared for them, speaking bad Spanglish, asking ignorant questions and just overall treating Marjorie's family as the foreigner.

I am not Latina but will get ready to punch through the TV if JB does his usual ignorant crap of pretending to speak Spanish then laughing at his own deliberately pathetic attempts. This a chance for him to actually demonstrate respect for diversity within his own community. It would be hugely embarrassing for the Duggars if Marjorie's family brought an end to the courtship or nixed an engagement because they were offended by the father's buffoonery.

Let's hope JB puts on his manners and makes her welcome. Yes they are young and would do well with a long courtship and long engagement getting it know each other properly. Having idiot fathers is a complication that is likely to result in sadness and poor decision making.

PS forgot to mention that I got taken aback by her name. It is my middle name and unfortunately I have hated it all my life. I keep it quiet when I can. Whenever I see someone with that name, or meet them, my first reaction is to wonder just what their parents were thinking. I got it for family reasons. There were better choices on the family tree in my opinion.

Edited by Jamiesmum
  • Love 3

Not only is Marjorie pictured in jeans, her mother is in jeans in a couple year old family picture.  Though they are too young, it is nice to see him involved with a little more "worldly" family.

The next time I need to go to a customer site to make a presentation, I'm going to wear jeans and tell my employer it makes me look "worldly."

So I guess Josiah isn't going to college either. None of their kids have gotten any kind of college education. If not for Jim Bob, they'd all be working cashier at McDonalds, considering the education they've received from their parents. I kept hoping Jinger would go, because she seems very smart, but no such luck.

• Love 6