Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jana, Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

I can't really disagree with her too much, at least where the Old Testament is concerned.

My grandmother used to say that reading the Bible was better than any soap opera and had even more juicier stories.

I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but every person that a Duggar child has married projects a very passive personality -- Anna, Derek, and "Bin" -- and so despite any differences in their own upbringings, they were willingly to accept every crazy Duggar idea. 

Since Josiah never got to have a proper Mother's influence (she was too busy popping out babies to give him any attention) it makes sense that he would be drawn to a strong, confident woman. I hope she shows him the error of his parent's fame-whoring ways, and together they raise a 'normal' family.

• Love 4
I live in Iowa and the assumption from those outside the state is probably that we're pretty far behind the times, but in Des Moines,  (snip)

Des Moines has a freaking Nordstrom! (I'm on the other side of Iowa and jealous...)

There are very few areas of the country that are truly isolated from popular culture.  I have no doubt that people in Arkansas have access to the same stuff people everywhere else get. 

Plus the Duggars travel a ton.

And I don't buy the "buy used and save the difference" BS anymore.

• Love 4

I'd add that it's made them compulsive shoppers. "If you don't buy it now, it might not be here when you turn around" has been uttered by more than one of them as good advice. Which is NOT good financial advice when buying things, actually.

So they end up with piles of cheap crap instead of thoughtfully purchased quality goods. They likely spend more in the long run. We know they do on food, for instance. I'm betting they also do on clothing and shoes, as they aren't buying for growing children so much.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 6

I'd add that it's made them compulsive shoppers. "If you don't buy it now, it might not be here when you turn around" has been uttered by more than one of them as good advice. Which is NOT good financial advice when buying things, actually.

So they end up with piles of cheap crap instead of thoughtfully purchased quality goods. They likely spend more in the long run. We know they do on food, for instance. I'm betting they also do on clothing and shoes, as they aren't buying for growing children so much.

My father's mantra. If I had a dollar bill for every time I heard: "Only rich people can afford to buy crap. Because they're the only ones who can afford to replace their crap every year..." It really isn't an intelligent way to shop, and works in so few situations. Buying a car used is one of the only ways I can think of where it can be smarter than buying new. I wonder if the whole "buy-used-save-the-difference" concept is part of that all-important seminar that made Boob a wheelin'-dealin' mogul?

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

SewSumi, EXACTLY!!!!!!! Oh GOOD LORD, I watched Jill's wedding ep, and that piano was SO STINKING PAINFUL. Then later, I had recorded Jessa's wedding. The whole thing was lower focus than Jill's... except that PIANO!!!!!!!! Holy Musical Madness, Batman!!! I've played piano since I was FOUR, and I'm square in the middle of my 50's now. Never EVER played a piano like that for any occasion. Never. I'm pretty sure someone would have taken it away from me! THANK YOU for saying that, I've been waiting SO patiently for someone to point out that horrendous ax handling of piano. It was such a shocker to me, I was working and had that on in the background and it was sweet and low key and then BAM!!! I couldn't believe it, after hearing that same thing at Jill's wedding, Jessa used it too. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me that somewhere down the road if Siah and Margorie get married, they (she!) will insist that someone who has (ah-hem) slightly less of a statement to make might play the bridal entrance...

In the pic where the video is, there's a whole big stack of DVD's on the piano. I hope this is Marjorie's house, and in that stack, I hope there's The Lion King, Aladdin, Cinderella, The Hunger Games... I just want someone associated with this family to be NORMAL!!!!!

• Love 8

In the pic where the video is, there's a whole big stack of DVD's on the piano. I hope this is Marjorie's house, and in that stack, I hope there's The Lion King, Aladdin, Cinderella, The Hunger Games... I just want someone associated with this family to be NORMAL!!!!!

I saw that and thought the exact same thing.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit the degree to which I feel let down by Derick, and I don't want to be fooled again. They seem like a fairly normal family -- the father is educated and the family picture suggests that the children are widely spaced. Still, this is a family that has essentially approved of their 17 year old daughter getting engaged (or, I guess, pre-engaged) to an 18 year old boy with no education and no job prospects other than "working for dad." They are certainly acquainted with the Duggars and their dog-and-pony show and have allowed their daughter to become part of that circus.

I will just say that I am cautiously optimistic at this point.

• Love 5

Just watching the Priscilla and David wedding for the first time where at the beginning Jana is left in charge, I love that she lights candles and has calming music playing through the house and calls the kids to the room by voice saying "just like old times". I realise it's clever editing but it does sell Jana as an organised, calm & efficient homemaker - vastly in contrast to the usual chaos and shrieking that starts each episode. She also seems happy running the house alone, I noticed in a previous episode that when Michelle and Jim Bob were talking about "Duggar time" she said to the camera "well one time when we were here alone we all managed to get to places on time so I think Duggar time is not really the kids." I know she toes the parental line in direct discussion but she clearly disagrees with their house management skills. I wonder if she just enjoys running her parents home especially as it gets easier as the little ones grow up and there's less back breaking child care. She and John David interest me as they both seem so far from about to leave the homestead.

Also I realise this is a really old episode but there needs an international viewers section where our delayed programming schedule can be discussed ;) Thursday night is Jill's wedding for goodness sake :)

• Love 2

Apparently, she studies at the Erin Bates Paine school of Murdered Pianos. :D

I didn't click on the link in fear of my ears bleeding. But Erin Bates better watch out these two could take over her gig at weddings. Just imagine this super duo playing at your fundie wedding. 

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2

Don't you need a credit card for online shopping?

You can use PayPal (which can be linked to bank accounts and credit cards), debit cards, credit cards, and gift cards to shop online.

Wherever Josiah is getting his wardrobe, I think it's adorable. Nice to see some semblance of personality in one of the children's attire.

• Love 2

Also I realise this is a really old episode but there needs an international viewers section where our delayed programming schedule can be discussed ;) Thursday night is Jill's wedding for goodness sake :)

Agreed! We are a bit ahead of you (only by 3-4 episodes by the sounds of it) but we only saw the Benessa proposal a few weeks ago.  She is 3 months pregnant now and I haven't even seen the wedding! Or any of the boring wedding filler parts like the dress and all that.  The most recent episode that I saw was when the Smuggars went on a trip and it was such a waste of time that I turned it off after a while.  

Apparently, she studies at the Erin Bates Paine school of Murdered Pianos. :D

The piano needs a good tuning.

My father's mantra. If I had a dollar bill for every time I heard: "Only rich people can afford to buy crap. Because they're the only ones who can afford to replace their crap every year..." It really isn't an intelligent way to shop, and works in so few situations. Buying a car used is one of the only ways I can think of where it can be smarter than buying new. I wonder if the whole "buy-used-save-the-difference" concept is part of that all-important seminar that made Boob a wheelin'-dealin' mogul?

I think Boob definitely applied the buy used concept when he married Michelle.  Screw used.........

• Love 2

There will never be anybody "normal" associated with this family..the closest we have to it is Michelle's childhood friend who has appeared maybe twice on the show. The Duggar children are only going to be allowed to associate with, court, and marry someone very much like themselves. If they aren't Gothard followers, then they'll be Vision Forum or whatever else is closely associated. Jim Bob and Michelle don't want anybody leaving their umbrella of authority or whatever they call it. That said, I feel like Marjorie's family was once more mainstream but became more recent converts to the Gothard lifestyle in the past 10 years or so.

I think that even Derrick was a recent convert, considering how he contacted Jim Bob to be his prayer partner in Nepal. He may not have chose this lifestyle until he decided to go overseas for missionary work, but I believe he sincerely chose it nonetheless. The Duggars did not have to convert him, he chose it on his own. 

• Love 3

I wonder if the bang-banging piano playing is a Gothard thing. (And, to be perfectly clear. I am just MAKING SHIT UP here; it's pure speculation.) I know that song they were playing, "How Deep the Father's Love," and it's generally sung softly, a sort of meditation on how the gift of salvation was given at a cost of unimaginably deep pain on the part of Jesus and God. It's not something you'd belt out like that. But this performance is certainly in line with the other piano- banging we've heard from Gothardites, so I'm wondering if he maybe has a specific view on the meaning of "making a joyful noise," like that singing praise to the lord should always be loud and clear and strong? Or something? I realize I'm reaching here, but I really want there to be a reason why Marsiah felt the need to butcher that lovely, reflective piece of music. Besides just that they're clueless. Sigh.

• Love 4

At Jessa's wedding she seemed to beat herself up a lot. She kept saying how unworthy she is and how much bad stuff she's done. What could be so bad when she's stuck in that house?! I wonder if she felt guilty for "leading" someone to want to free her or if she's gotten some backlash for that and made to feel the way that she does. All over the internet, she's the one that people want to free, even on non Duggar boards. She's had memes created with her face, websites using her name, her journal stolen. It's not her fault but she's the most memorable (at least her name is). She makes me so sad!

The idea of all humans as sinful, wicked, and broken seems to be pretty pervasive in their culture. Regardless of whether she's actually done anything that's ACTUALLY bad, she's been made to see herself as flawed and horrible just because she's a human. I think that's why she was saying she was "so undeserving." I don't think she was talking about a specific act.

• Love 3

It was quite depressing last night seeing Jana renovate her room that she has to share with several of her little sisters. She's 25 years old, for Gothard's sake.

• Love 7

Jana is a mother to a special needs child with various medical issues. She most likely feels very conflicted about leaving her child because she knows that MEchelle won't take care of her when she is gone.

• Love 5

Now that it's practically been confirmed that Josie has some sort of seizure issue there's no way Jana is breaking free now. Michelle isn't about to give up her speaking engagements and appearances to sit in the TTH and watch Josie all day.

• Love 2

I understand about Jana and Josie, but I feel like if Jana did leave even just for a year to live in Europe or do mission work in Nepal (or somewhere else, but ya'll get my point) for a few months like Derick did that Michelle would take care of Josie. Michelle is a horrible "mom", but she wouldn't let her die. Even she wouldn't sink that low.

I understand about Jana and Josie, but I feel like if Jana did leave even just for a year to live in Europe or do mission work in Nepal (or somewhere else, but ya'll get my point) for a few months like Derick did that Michelle would take care of Josie. Michelle is a horrible "mom", but she wouldn't let her die. Even she wouldn't sink that low.

Do you honestly think she wouldn't assign Josie to Grandma, or JoyAnna, or one of the other kids? I could be totally wrong but I honestly have a hard time picturing her taking over childcare for one of her kids.

• Love 4

That's true, but I meant if Josie was having a seizure. She'd be there to help her and be there for her daughter right..? She hasn't been there any other time, but if Jana wasn't with Josie then maybe Michelle would be?

• Love 1

I don't think so. J'chelle is completely checked out -- she's just done with parenthood. It's like she has taken on the role of VP. She is no longer on the floor managing day to day operations.

If Jana were to leave, Josie would be transferred to one of the other girls, or Grandma, or they would hire someone. 

And, I also think that part of the reason that J'chelle was so calm about Josie is because "Jesus." She is doing all of the right things according to the Gothard rule-book, therefore nothing bad can happen. As a matter of fact, I think that that was part of the reason that Jana was so terrified. If something happened to Josie on her watch, it would probably somehow be Jana's fault for having ungodly thoughts, or not praying enough, or something like that.

• Love 10

I'm thinking if they didn't spend so much time thinking they can get away and leave it all behind for their traveling side shows (JB and Michelle), they could actually take Jana WITH them - and Josie, I mean.  They wouldn't have to leave her behind if they had Jana with them to take care of Josie while they're speaking. 

When they did the clip of JB & M arriving home, Jana shot a quick look at the camera that looked as if she'd never been so happy in her life to hand over the reigns to someone else.  She just isn't a take-charge kinda girl like Jill or Jessa.   Where was Jinger in this ep, did I miss that?  Jana is so beautiful to me.  I think she's the prettiest on of the girls - doesn't seem to have the skin issues some of the others do.  She's just always pretty.  I so wish that knight in shining armor would show up.  Janderella. 

• Love 1

In the recent church family picture, you can see that Josiah is quite a bit shorter than Jill, who supposedly is 5' 5". I wonder how tall he is..5"3" or less?  His new girlfriend must be well under 5 feet? It must have been hard to find someone who wasn't taller than he is. Most of his brothers seem a lot taller..a shame he had to take after his mother in height.

• Love 2

I wonder if the bang-banging piano playing is a Gothard thing.

Erin Bates had piano training specifically for church services, and I have a feeling that subtlety and nuance was not part of it.  My theory is that many southern Baptist churches are so huge, and many of their parishioners are so old and deaf, that musicians are taught to play as loud as possible.  It's so unnecessary and annoying.  I do not know if Erin and Marjorie received classical training, but they would certainly benefit from knowing how to play a Beethoven sonata.  The loud banging and melodramatic runs have got to go. 

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
(edited)

I wonder if the bang-banging piano playing is a Gothard thing. (And, to be perfectly clear. I am just MAKING SHIT UP here; it's pure speculation.) I know that song they were playing, "How Deep the Father's Love," and it's generally sung softly, a sort of meditation on how the gift of salvation was given at a cost of unimaginably deep pain on the part of Jesus and God. It's not something you'd belt out like that. But this performance is certainly in line with the other piano- banging we've heard from Gothardites, so I'm wondering if he maybe has a specific view on the meaning of "making a joyful noise," like that singing praise to the lord should always be loud and clear and strong? Or something? I realize I'm reaching here, but I really want there to be a reason why Marsiah felt the need to butcher that lovely, reflective piece of music. Besides just that they're clueless. Sigh.

Banging the piano with a ton of flourishes is more of an old-fashioned, rural, Evangelical church thing, and IMO it stems from a few things: needing to play loud enough in a large building without acoustics, so everyone can hear, trying to show off and play 'fancy' with a lot of gusto and flourishes, and finally, beating the piano to death, for the Lord, is one of the few outlets of expression that is approved, so they pound the keys for all they're worth.

Anyone who has been in very many small, rural, evangelical churches,(denomination really doesn't matter, neither does geographical location), can attest to amateur sound systems being run by guys who usually only know how to make the microphones and instruments Loud, Louder or Loudest. You often can't hear melodies, harmonies, etc.,with vocalists, instruments, etc. you just hear LOUD.

I don't think Marjorie played anything like Erin Bates. I just think the recording wasn't that great, so it picked up the sound of the piano/keyboard, which I couldn't tell if it is hooked up to an amplifier? instead of the voices. Their voices are fine, and Marjorie is definitely a theatre ham. I'm still gunning for Marjorie and The Fabulous David Waller to do a sing off with "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better." They'd make great frenemies.

I'm guessing they came a bit late to the Fundy game, which explains the space between kids and the education.

Oh, definitely. I'd guess not even totally fundie, but more like very conservative Southern Baptists who maybe did Christian school, but didn't start homeschooling until Obama came into office.

On second look at that video - it's a piano, not a keyboard, and it does sound out of tune. THey're singing "How Deep the Father's Love for Us", and who is the third girl in the background singing?

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 5

I'm guessing they came a bit late to the Fundy game, which explains the space between kids and the education.

Agreed. The 3 kids in close succession after nothing for 10 years is the give-away. There was evil birth control involved well into their 30's! *gasp* 

• Love 1

Razzle I can't quote but your comment about Marjorie and TFDW doing "anything you can do I can do better is great!!! Love it. I can just see it. Duggar Gold.

Couldn't you just see TFDW pulling a Showgirls move and pushing Marjorie down the stairs as they were about to head for the stage?

• Love 10

(Laughing) I had 12 years of classical piano lessons, but my family considers me a total failure because I can't accompany anyone when they sing to save my life. I read music well, but have no "ear". And no ability to add "flourishes."

But yes, Erin is supposedly trained with all these sophisticated methods (supposedly she's Suzuki trained) but in the end, she plays like all of my relatives. That's not a slam - my relatives are brilliantly talented and play rings around me.

• Love 1

I just can't get my head around why Marjorie's parents would let her enter a courtship at only 17! Seeing that picture of her and Josiah at the conference was really depressing - "there you go there's your whole future of child bearing on a reality TV show get on with it" ugh what are her parents thinking??

• Love 5
(edited)

I just can't get my head around why Marjorie's parents would let her enter a courtship at only 17! Seeing that picture of her and Josiah at the conference was really depressing - "there you go there's your whole future of child bearing on a reality TV show get on with it" ugh what are her parents thinking??

If Marjorie's parents are on the fundie path that we all assume them to be on then they're probably of the mind that it's a good match and are taking cues from their daughter who apparently wants that kind of life.

I've no doubt that Marjorie will endure it enthusiastically.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 1
(edited)

We are also assuming that Marjorie is giving them a choice.

ETA: True, GEML. She could easily just be all over the idea of wanting to marry young and be part of the Duggar circus and headstrong about it.

I guess there's the possibility that Marjorie's parents are strongly persuading/forcing her to accept a courtship with Josiah. Although, she doesn't strike me as someone who would go that far to please her parents. But who can say, really? We've only seen 2 short video clips and some of her writing. I guess I would hope that she's not dating Josiah "with a purpose" merely to please her folks.

Edited by msblossom

Marjorie is the type of writer who uses a lot of exclamation points. She likely is very passionate about what she does and doesn't do. Let's hope it works out, because I'm betting she's already lost not just pieces of her heart, but all of it. She's totally defrauded emotionally. :)

• Love 2

I don't know if Marjorie's parents "trusted God for the size of their family," but they might have, despite the spacing. Not all women are as fertile as the Duggar women seem to be, so far anyway. I knew a Quiverfull family who only ended up with five kids, with a few big age gaps, because of many miscarriages.

Haha, I am so shallow but I was thinking the same thing about how short Josiah is. I remember a few years ago when he was learning to drive on the show, and he seemed like he hadn't even hit puberty yet. Even now he strikes me as barely post-pubescent and it seems so wrong that he's so childlike and already in a courtship.

It's not only the gap in children's ages. It's other things too. The college educations, a white collar job, the nice house with decorations (picture with bottle of wine on the wall!), women wearing pants - all of these little things point to something fairly recent. And post Fundy and the peak of their powers, for those of us who remember them that way.

Erin Bates had piano training specifically for church services, and I have a feeling that subtlety and nuance was not part of it.  My theory is that many southern Baptist churches are so huge, and many of their parishioners are so old and deaf, that musicians are taught to play as loud as possible.  It's so unnecessary and annoying.  I do not know if Erin and Marjorie received classical training, but they would certainly benefit from knowing how to play a Beethoven sonata.  The loud banging and melodramatic runs have got to go. 

I will call this style of piano murder as Liberace on Fundy crack.    Its exactly the same thing as Jill and her bogus mid-wife training.

• Love 2

The girl with the red scarf around her neck sitting to the right of Jill at Derick's birthday party looks like it could be Marjorie. It's hard to tell bc her hair is pulled up in a pony tail