Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jana, Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

It's so weird when you think about it. In their twisted world, even grown adults need a personal babysitter at all times.

and really, come on, what are they soooo afraid of doing wrong anyway? It can't be as bad a child molesting and marital cheating because that already happened and everyone's still alive and apparently still living... nothing any of the singles could possibly do could be worse and the worst apparently is easily forgiven... I'm not really getting this!

• Love 13

Massachusetts hates mayo on fries and Eli Manning. I get the second one (seriously, my hate for him goes back to the draft for being a punk ass bitch), but no mayo on fries? Just call it garlic aioli and we are all over that.

Topic: have we ever heard what these boys are planning to do, job-wise? Do any of them have any ideas, other than living off of the parental teat? 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Topic: have we ever heard what these boys are planning to do, job-wise? Do any of them have any ideas, other than living off of the parental teat? 

Nothing. The boys are planning to do nothing -- it's part of their belief system.

As the headship, JB owns various businesses. The boys all work for these businesses and the headship provides for their needs as he sees fit. It's called "Biblical economics" by those who believe in it, and a ridiculous clusterf@ck by everyone else. JB can keep complete and total control over his family while appearing generous (at least to those who are obedient).

• Love 13
19 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Oh yes, in general, the University area has always been more diverse; it's the rest of the city and it's neighborhoods and suburbs that are 'white bread heaven' as we used to say.  Columbus has always been a hotbed of WASP's as well as the immigrants from the small towns/rural areas of southern Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky; not much diversity; racially, culturally or ethnically.  It's better now, but still miles behind Cleveland, Cincinnati and other 'real' cities; the world's biggest small town.

Congrats  to your daughter attending THE Ohio State University!  My alma mater x 2.

I know we are from the same area. I am so happy that you referred to "THE Ohio State University."  Yay Buckeyes!

(instead of Ohio State University). Yes, it does matter!

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

But what are these "businesses" that they supposedly work at? JD files the family places in the plane and Josh supposedly works at the used car dealership. Do any of them have an honest-to-God job? 

No. No jobs. Gothard does not approve of his acolytes working for other people -- Gothardites are supposed to be self-employed. The Biblical economics thing is an off-shoor of that, but not (as far as I know) required by Gothard.

JB owns a towing company (a truck?) and JD works in that business. JB also owns properties that he rents, and the sons work maintaining those properties. He also has started a "house flipping" business which has (supposedly) been the main source of employment for all of the sons (and Ben) for the past several years.

• Love 1

I'm not a Gothardite, but this is really part of the script. Most of them are dirt poor because they have a dozen kids and work raking leaves or repairing windshields or whatever so that they don't have to mix with evil heathens.

ETA: I mis-read louannems post and have edited my post to respond to her actual post.

Edited by cmr2014
Correcting original post
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

No. No jobs. Gothard does not approve of his acolytes working for other people -- Gothardites are supposed to be self-employed. The Biblical economics thing is an off-shoor of that, but not (as far as I know) required by Gothard.

This makes me wonder, and I'm sure this was speculated several times before I joined the forum: Did Boob pressure Derick to leave Walmart to prevent him from being able to change Jilly Muffin too much? I'm sure the prospect of any of his kids or their spouses working anywhere but for him or self employment rankled him.

Since Derick was inept at doing any of the Duggar Enterprises jobs and the Toilet Scrubber job was taken, Boob decided the only respectable vocation outside of the enterprise was being a missionary  or preacher.  Then, he bribed them with the house and presto changeo, Dreck is now a missionary! Either that or a Boob realized he was a slacker.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, louannems said:

I've read of Gothardites and other fundies quitting great paying jobs with benefits, such as Boeing, engineer, and corporate jobs to stay home and rule the roost. The Maxwell man comes to mind.

Yup. Stevehovah left an engineering job at Boeing to become ruler of his roost. That was also about the time he got his vasectomy reversed, leading to five more children and Terrified's depression and Pepsi "addiction." 

If Boob noticed that early on that Derelict was a slacker, then he's a better judge of character than the rest of us. He also wouldn't have allowed the guy to marry his daughter. He seemed to be doing right by his stint in Nepal and carried that over for the most part to Wally World (aside from vacations to film and of course the paternity leave from which he never returned). I won't say more since this isnt' their thread. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, questionfear said:

So that survey seems so odd. I have never seen wine on sale at a gas station here! 

They don't sell wine in gas stations in New Jersey. They don't even sell it in supermarkets. One has to go to a liquor store. It appears this 'survey' is entirely made up. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

It's so weird when you think about it. In their twisted world, even grown adults need a personal babysitter at all times.

and really, come on, what are they soooo afraid of doing wrong anyway? It can't be as bad a child molesting and marital cheating because that already happened and everyone's still alive and apparently still living... nothing any of the singles could possibly do could be worse and the worst apparently is easily forgiven... I'm not really getting this!

If I had to guess, I'd say they're afraid the boy might be exposed to a clavicle or a pair of kneecaps he just won't be able to resist. Gotta have that accountability buddy to scream "NIKE!!" 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

This makes me wonder, and I'm sure this was speculated several times before I joined the forum: Did Boob pressure Derick to leave Walmart to prevent him from being able to change Jilly Muffin too much? I'm sure the prospect of any of his kids or their spouses working anywhere but for him or self employment rankled him.

Since Derick was inept at doing any of the Duggar Enterprises jobs and the Toilet Scrubber job was taken, Boob decided the only respectable vocation outside of the enterprise was being a missionary  or preacher.  Then, he bribed them with the house and presto changeo, Dreck is now a missionary! Either that or a Boob realized he was a slacker.

I think that Derick is a real problem and the fact that he will work for others, but not for JB is a cause of friction in his marriage. He worked for WalMart, he was an employee of SOS, and now he is involved in a program sponsored by his own church.

Bin is (obviously) sucking at the Duggar teat and both Jeremy and Austin are self-employed. Only Derick appears unwilling to toe the line.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Genevrier said:

They don't sell wine in gas stations in New Jersey. They don't even sell it in supermarkets. One has to go to a liquor store. It appears this 'survey' is entirely made up. 

In the Parish (County) I moved from we got everything in the grocery store. Also available in convenience stores and those attached to gas stations.  There were even drive through daiquiri stands.  Now where we live we have to get hard liquor in a package store.

• Love 1

All kinds of alcohol is sold at convenience stores attached to gas stations here; what they sell depends on the franchise. Our local 7/11 sells pints of liquor (no fifths) that they keep behind the counter. But if  stand-alone gas stations sell anything, it's just water and soda. 

No drive-thru booze here that I've ever seen! That always cracks me up. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Genevrier said:

They do here in Ohio.

5 hours ago, PaTatertots said:

If I had to guess, I'd say they're afraid the boy might be exposed to a clavicle or a pair of kneecaps he just won't be able to resist. Gotta have that accountability buddy to scream "NIKE!!" 

But watching or even attending sports events seems to be A-ok, even when scantily clad cheerleaders are present.

3 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I think that Derick is a real problem and the fact that he will work for others, but not for JB is a cause of friction in his marriage. He worked for WalMart, he was an employee of SOS, and now he is involved in a program sponsored by his own church.

Bin is (obviously) sucking at the Duggar teat and both Jeremy and Austin are self-employed. Only Derick appears unwilling to toe the line.

IS Jeremy truly "self employed" though?

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

IS Jeremy truly "self employed" though?

That tiny little church that he is seldom at can't be paying him very much.  I think Jinger's money is funding their many post honeymoon travels.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, ariel said:

That tiny little church that he is seldom at can't be paying him very much.  I think Jinger's money is funding their many post honeymoon travels.

And they stop by and visit some pastor so they can write it off as "business".  A chapter out of the Boob playbook.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Genevrier said:

Thank you, I was worried I was missing out on some fancy gas stations around here.

You can buy liquor in certain grocery stores (some Costcos, some Wegmans) but they're pretty tightly regulated. I know at Wegmans you can go through the regular checkout with liquor but if the cashier is under 21 they have to have someone over 21 check you out, and they check the ID of everyone in your group.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

And they stop by and visit some pastor so they can write it off as "business".  A chapter out of the Boob playbook.

Meh,  I don't fault anyone for taking advantage of legal deductions. I can't know for sure, but JerMe strikes me as the type who will suck up to an influential pastor any chance he gets. I don't consider it immoral for him to write off his mileage of it's allowable by the IRS. 

8 minutes ago, Portia said:

Meh,  I don't fault anyone for taking advantage of legal deductions. I can't know for sure, but JerMe strikes me as the type who will suck up to an influential pastor any chance he gets. I don't consider it immoral for him to write off his mileage of it's allowable by the IRS. 

I have a problem that Jeremy as a very part time "pastor" is tax exempt for many things while the rest of us hard working people aren't

Edited by ariel
  • Love 9

Here in NY, you can only buy beer in supermarkets and convenience stores.  Everything else is sold in liquor stores.  On my first trip to the Outer Banks of NC, i was suprised to see all kinds of liquor in the supermarket.  But what blew me away was Brew-Threw.  You don't even have to get out of your car--sort of like a Dairy Barn for booze.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ariel said:

I have a problem that Jeremy as a "pastor" is tax exempt for many things while the rest of us hard working people aren't

My husband is a pastor, and I agree that some of our allowable deductions are odd, but I feel it would be stupid for us not to take them.  We're hardly rolling in the dough.  (Unfortunately we missed the boat on the reality TV gravy train.) 

• Love 8

I don't have a problem with legitimate clergy and real churches having deductions. After all, these real,, credentialed preachers don't have much in the way of income and resources and I believe their families live frugally out of necessity and sacrifice. I have a problem when a reality 'star' on TV CLAIMS to be frugal, etc and obviously is not. I also have a problem with lay people, like the Duggars who claim the same and have more 'crap' than they know what to do with...Jim Bob Duggar, I'm looking at YOU....and he has his own aircraft to boot. Yeah, that's living frugally.

• Love 13
22 hours ago, ariel said:

I have a problem with preachers  like Osteen being tax exempt.  If it was up to me, a rather give the Houston furniture guy that opened his doors to those in need some tax credits.

The furniture store was super fantastic with what they did.  

I bet they will more than make up losses in future sales.  People remember who helped them.  And if I remember correctly, he can take these losses off his taxes but I do not think that this was the motivation.  

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

He's been very good to a lot of people in Houston as well as sponsorship of USA gymnastics.  He really does a lot for local charities and it has come back to him. When asked about evacuees sleeping on $12,000 mattresses, he stated that beds and furniture were made to be used, not looked at.

And, ironically (at least as far as the Duggars are concerned), he is Catholic. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, EVS said:

And, ironically (at least as far as the Duggars are concerned), he is Catholic. 

His heart is in the right place, but he needs the Duggars to convert him & show true charity as only they can for those in need.  ;)

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, ariel said:

His heart is in the right place, but he needs the Duggars to convert him & show true charity as only they can for those in need.  ;)

You're right. In all the years I've lived in H Town, Mattress Mac has never handed out DumDums! I knew something was off.

• Love 11
18 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

You're right. In all the years I've lived in H Town, Mattress Mac has never handed out DumDums! I knew something was off.

The drive-thru liquor stores in Kentucky would hand out Bazooka Joe gum if there were kids in the car.

• Love 4
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:11 PM, ariel said:

I have a problem with preachers  like Osteen being tax exempt.  If it was up to me, a rather give the Houston furniture guy that opened his doors to those in need some tax credits.

Agree.  Granted I'm not religious at all but it just sounds weird to me that a preacher's personal house costs millions of dollars.  To me there's a disconnect.

I don't know what the tax laws are, but IMO if a church is tax exempt they should be able to show that the funds they get are being utilized to help their parishoners or other charity endeavors, not into the pockets of these millionaire preachers (obviously they should pay their staff a decent living wage).

• Love 13
31 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

Agree.  Granted I'm not religious at all but it just sounds weird to me that a preacher's personal house costs millions of dollars.  To me there's a disconnect.

I don't know what the tax laws are, but IMO if a church is tax exempt they should be able to show that the funds they get are being utilized to help their parishoners or other charity endeavors, not into the pockets of these millionaire preachers (obviously they should pay their staff a decent living wage).

I severely despise prosperity preachers. Seriously. But, in fairness, Joel Osteen does not receive a salary from his church at all. His income is created from book sales, etc.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, duggarfan said:

I severely despise prosperity preachers. Seriously. But, in fairness, Joel Osteen does not receive a salary from his church at all. His income is created from book sales, etc.

His mega church is tax exempt.  He is not paying into the community where it is & the services that his church uses.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, duggarfan said:

Osteen finally gave up his $200,000 a year salary from his church when his personal wealth hit $40 million from book sales and speaking engagements and his fat salary became an embarrassment.  He built a $10 million house in Houston.

• Love 8
On 9/3/2017 at 1:32 PM, Fostersmom said:

Hell, even Chuck E Cheese sells booze here. Hey kids, you all know how to drive home yourselves, right? 

Parents who take their kids to Chuck E Cheese need booze to get through it.

• Love 22
On 9/3/2017 at 0:19 PM, lookeyloo said:

In the Parish (County) I moved from we got everything in the grocery store. Also available in convenience stores and those attached to gas stations.  There were even drive through daiquiri stands.  Now where we live we have to get hard liquor in a package store.

Louisiana girl? 

2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I think that's more than long enough to consider yourself an honorary Coonass!

Do you still drink chicory coffee?

Yuck never did.  Had it once which was enough.  It isn't all that popular in Baton Rouge.  Community Coffee mostly.

• Love 2
On 9/5/2017 at 1:28 PM, Jellybeans said:

The furniture store was super fantastic with what they did.  

I bet they will more than make up losses in future sales.  People remember who helped them.  And if I remember correctly, he can take these losses off his taxes but I do not think that this was the motivation.  

The owner of the furniture store said he was raised a Catholic and was taught to give at an early age.

• Love 7

And the Duggars are right on track with cleaning. 

And Tejas, I sleep with windows open every fucking night of the year. Even when it's 100 outside. Of course, we have no a/c, and it's "dry heat" here. I am all with them on well done steak. Ick. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4