Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jana, Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

The "Free Jinger!" mantra took up after 14 Children, et al, when Joy was still very young, and there were no other little girls in the family (also, I think people were just amused by the name "Jinger" as much as they were by her sarcastic eye-rolling).  But yes, it may be time to focus our hopes on Joy.

Anna bitches about not being able to handle the kids she has but still has more, so I have no sympathy, and yes, I do think of that as "woe is me."  I also think there's a lot of humblebragging about how "blessed" she is. 

• Love 4

I wouldn't be surprised if JD has some weird fetish that no one knows about.

I often wonder how many fundie guys have foot fetishes, since the girls are covered neck to knees but always seem to wear sandals or flip-flops instead of closed shoes.  I remember at Journey to the Heart or a similar place, the males in attendance complained that the girls were defrauding them with nail polish and making their hands and feet distractingly enticing.

• Love 4

I remember at Journey to the Heart or a similar place, the males in attendance complained that the girls were defrauding them with nail polish and making their hands and feet distractingly enticing.

For some reason this made me honestly laugh out loud. I'm picturing the girls holding their hands entincingly folded against their denim skirts as their slutty toes peek out from below the skirt in dirty flip flops. I have a strong desire to paint my nails now. Teva!
  • Love 7

One scene where I felt really bad for Jana and hated the production staff was when they all visited the thrift store. Jackson was playing with a toy that played music and he started doing the robot.

The production staff dropped a dime on him and went to JANA not Michelle to snitch that he was dancing. Jana was then tasked with questioning Jackson about what he was "doing" with the toy. She looked so tired an uncomfortable. Poor girl. And poor Jackson. That robot would've made the Jackson 5 proud.

• Love 1

if you've had every sign of disobedience, curiosity or spirit beaten out of you in infancy and early childhood you will probably develop a personality as inoffensive and bland as you can, just to avoid notice and painful consequences.

I so agree with this, but something else also nags at me: In that she was certainly spent a great deal of time with Gothard and his minions, I hope Jana was never the target of Gothard's documented abuse of the young women he surrounded himself with. If that were the case, I can honestly see her parents blaming her in some way -- maybe some perceived lack of modesty or something. Who knows. And if that were true, it easily would explain her demeanor and her seeming lack of desire for a different life. 

• Love 4

I think I remember that episode; they were they shoe shopping at Goodwill. Doing the Robot is dancing? Lol.

Poor kid, the moment they have a little innocent fun and express themselves, they get in trouble for it.

• Love 2

Yes that was it. They did question JB about it and he said something like it was a spirit dance or something. That wasn't the terminology he used, but it was something to say that Jackson wasn't dancing. It made me particularly angry at the producers because in their effort to point out some hypocrisy in the Duggars' belief system, they instead made the children, particularly Jana, have to defend themselves and the belief system that they were born into and did not choose for themselves. It also forced Jana to discipline her brother for a natural reaction that even the youngest baby would have to a toy. And ultimately, who knows what sort of discipline, if any, both Jackson and Jana received for something so innocent. I thought the production staff was very shitty for that and I hope they apologized for it. Holding children accountable for whatever dogma their parents subscribe to is just wrong.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 8

maybe Jana is simply asexual and wishes everyone would leave her alone. i suspect one day we will figure it out but on her terms.

she has had to live with chaos for a long time. why would she want to get married? she probably wants to live alone. i would.

i don't care if she's gay, bi, asexual, hetro, did i miss a group...

• Love 11

Holding children accountable for whatever dogma their parents subscribe to is just wrong.

Yes it is. Their not punishing their kids for making mistakes, mouthing off or just typical bad behavior from kids that results in parents having to punish them. They punish their kids for nothing. 

• Love 2

Yes that was it. They did question JB about it and he said something like it was a spirit dance or something. That wasn't the terminology he used, but it was something to say that Jackson wasn't dancing. It made me particularly angry at the producers because in their effort to point out some hypocrisy in the Duggars' belief system, they instead made the children, particularly Jana, have to defend themselves and the belief system that they were born into and did not choose for themselves. It also forced Jana to discipline her brother for a natural reaction that even the youngest baby would have to a toy. And ultimately, who knows what sort of discipline, if any, both Jackson and Jana received for something so innocent. I thought the production staff was very shitty for that and I hope they apologized for it. Holding children accountable for whatever dogma their parents subscribe to is just wrong.

Duggar terminology for what little kids naturally do when they hear music is called "jumping for joy." 

• Love 3

maybe Jana is simply asexual and wishes everyone would leave her alone. i suspect one day we will figure it out but on her terms.

she has had to live with chaos for a long time. why would she want to get married? she probably wants to live alone. i would.

How would she know is she's asexual if JimChelle suppresses everything.

• Love 2

Duggar terminology for what little kids naturally do when they hear music is called "jumping for joy."

And they see that as a bad thing. Children moving naturally to music is evidence of evil. Such an excellent exemplar of how F'd up their belief system is.

• Love 2

Josh, Anna, Jill, Ben, and Jessa certain had no problem knowing they were sexual growing up in that household. I'm very skeptical that repression has anything to do with being asexual, just as I don't think playing with toys like dolls (if a boy) or trucks (if a girl) has anything to so with someone being gay. I think you have to already start, biologically, from a much different place. And maybe Jana and John David do - but they would have, I think, even in less religiously repressive homes.

• Love 4

I think you might've missed transgender... but really, I'm with you and I don't care. I would love to see her alone for a year or two just to understand what she even wants in her life.

They need to spend a couple hours watching Footloose to remember Who the joy of music and dancing comes from. 

Everybody cut everybody cut... foot loose! Kick off your Sunday shoes (or flip flops)

• Love 2

Definitely not defending the production crew, it was a crappy thing to do, but I wonder if there is some kind of 'tattling' clause in their agreement with TLC that says something like 'if during their filming they see behavior that they know violates their rules they will inform the nearest pseudo-parent'. I can see JB doing something like that. 

• Love 1

I don't like it when the crew put Jana on the spot with Jackson's dancing but I do like it when the camera dwells on certain things a little longer than they should. Example: when Jill was getting dinner ready & Derick asked if some of the food came from the Duggars & Jill said No. The camera lingered over a baggy with cut up fruit.

• Love 2

Definitely not defending the production crew, it was a crappy thing to do, but I wonder if there is some kind of 'tattling' clause in their agreement with TLC that says something like 'if during their filming they see behavior that they know violates their rules they will inform the nearest pseudo-parent'. I can see JB doing something like that.

If I were on the film crew, and I was standing there with the child basically alone...I'd want to tell or walk away if I saw them do something against the family's rules. I definitely wouldn't just stand there.

I doubt that there is a tattling clause. But these shows aren't about the crew, they are about the Duggars. And aside from forums like this one, most of the people watching I think, admire them. So I imagine it's more about keeping their jobs than not tattling.

Maybe Jana shoots down potential suitors because she's not excited by the type of men she's exposed to.  Look at her father, most of her brothers (I can't tell any of them apart since they've grown this past season), and her brother's in law.  It's like Doofus Inc.  Do any of them have a personality?  I don't say be a brute or be arrogant, but where's their masculinity?  I find Jana so poised and charming and Jinger is so cute and joyful, I'd like to see them become roommates, but I know that's not possible.  Jana and Jinger could do better if they are able to expand their horizons. 

• Love 6

Jana already has to take care of a whole mess of people. I doubt she's eager to add taking care of a man (or god forbid, more kids) to that workload.

I so agree with this. My whole family is a big mess and I saw myself and my Dad as the caretakers. Then my dad lost it with me when the shit pile got too big. I made my escape again, and my daughter willingly came with me. Life became less chaotic. For a while but it was nice while it lasted.

I think Jana should take a sabbatical. She needs alone time, and JimBob can pony up a place she chooses for a few months while she decides what she wants to do. A condo, a YMCA camp, a party house in Hollywood, a cabin in the mountains or whatever. She is old enough to choose.

• Love 1

I wish that Jana would just say "Hey, I'm 25 and I want to take 6 months to live in town/lead at Camp America/whatever" but I don't think that she will.  It seems to me that Jana is still associated with "the kids" in the sense that Josh, Jill and Jessa have all flown the coop and now J'Chelle and Boob respect them as their own people (even as Boob tries to control them).  Those three are seen as being "grown-ups" in a way.  Even JD has a house and he isn't stuck in the compound all day like Jana is. 

I don't think that Jana is seen as being in a young woman in her mid-twenties, J'Chelle and Boob seem to see her as "their kid" still, probably because she's still living in the compound, doing what they ask.  

• Love 3

^^^Agree.

I can't imagine how awful it must be to share a bedroom with all those girls at 25 years old. Sharing a bedroom with little girls too? No thank you. That is so backward and weird.

The lack of privacy would drive me bananas. Maybe never having it, she doesn't really desire it?

• Love 7

Maybe she's keeping her friends close, but her enemies closer? Being her parent's faithful slave girl could give her lots of secret opportunities, should she ever need them. She knows how the sausage is made, where the bodies are buried, etc.

• Love 4

I totally agree that Boob and Michelle see Jana as a kid. Hell, a lot of us on TWOP were still referring to the Littles as Toddlers even though they were 5, 6 and 7. The kids are so stunted emotionally and socially that they just seem so much younger than they really are. Jackson is what, 11 and he still comes off as a first grader.

• Love 3

I wish that Jana would just say "Hey, I'm 25 and I want to take 6 months to live in town/lead at Camp America/whatever" but I don't think that she will.  It seems to me that Jana is still associated with "the kids" in the sense that Josh, Jill and Jessa have all flown the coop and now J'Chelle and Boob respect them as their own people (even as Boob tries to control them).  Those three are seen as being "grown-ups" in a way.  Even JD has a house and he isn't stuck in the compound all day like Jana is. 

I don't think that Jana is seen as being in a young woman in her mid-twenties, J'Chelle and Boob seem to see her as "their kid" still, probably because she's still living in the compound, doing what they ask.  

More importantly, I think Boob and Me-chelle see Jana as indispensable in the running of their household. Seriously, even with Grandma in the laundry room and both Jinger and JoyAnna stepping up to additional duties, Jana really is the lynchpin in that house. Me-chelle truly would have to start behaving like a real mother if Jana left, for whatever reason. It's my theory that Jana has been beaten down into a malleable piece of clay - figuratively and possibly even literally. In a lot of subtle ways - well, subtle for THEM, Boob & Me-chelle discourage Jana from taking an interest in courting, marriage etc. Any outside interests at all really. Hopefully she's holding her own there, but I really don't know...

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

At first I wasn't sure if Jana was even allowed to attend the football game.  Then, I found her at the end of the bench (away from Jessa and Jinger)- which I found strange - but not really when you think about it.  I see Jana pulling away from the spotlight and not really wanting to be on film.    She does the occasional peek but is probably putting her foot down on this matter at least.    Good for her.  Not everyone wants every moment of their life documented.  

• Love 4

The eternal question: Jana - beaten down, martyr, or just sort of blah? The world may never know!!! ;)

Jana probably doesn't even know. I do think that Michelle and JB are actively taking advantage of whichever combination of beaten down, martyr and blah has presented them with a built-in worker.

• Love 1

I do feel bad for her.  Her life is nothing but a  list of chores from lazy mom and dad and living in a kindergarten frat house.  I do hope she gets to keep her money (since she is an adult) for HER appearances on the show.

But she is smart to hold off marriage since in her world marriage means automatic babies.  Wait until you are 30 girl and have maybe 5 or 6, tops.  Sad.

• Love 5

The eternal question: Jana - beaten down, martyr, or just sort of blah? The world may never know!!! ;)

Probably a combination of all of them. She clearly doesn't have a strongly articulated personality, has had her share of repression (in whatever form) and tried on the martyr, only to find that you need someone to pay attention to you for martyrdom to give any satisfaction. All she's left with is blah.

Ever the optimist I hold out hope that she could discover/develop more of a personality if she found herself outside of her family's atmosphere but as that is unlikely to happen, she'll have to settle for being Poor Jana. Poor, blah, beaten down, martyr Jana.

I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that these are real people and not characters... their lives are so sad.

• Love 5

But she is smart to hold off marriage since in her world marriage means automatic babies.  Wait until you are 30 girl and have maybe 5 or 6, tops.  Sad.

Or she could go straight on birth control and say she is infertile....

• Love 3

I do feel bad for her.  Her life is nothing but a  list of chores from lazy mom and dad and living in a kindergarten frat house.  I do hope she gets to keep her money (since she is an adult) for HER appearances on the show.

I have no actual proof of this but I highly suspect that the TLC money is put into one LLC for the entire family which is controlled by JB. I don't think each adult child is paid directly or that Jana has access to a high enough percentage of it to be fully financially independent. 

• Love 4

I have no actual proof of this but I highly suspect that the TLC money is put into one LLC for the entire family which is controlled by JB. I don't think each adult child is paid directly or that Jana has access to a high enough percentage of it to be fully financially independent. 

Agree. I'm guessing none of the Duggar offspring are considered "grownup" in any meaningful way to Boob - until they're married. They're old enough to be useful to him of course - they can drive, operate heavy machinery etc. But they're not truly autonomous until they towed the family line, married and mated. Maybe they even have to reproduce to receive this honor? Josh & Anna get a minor but nevertheless separate little intro by Me-chelle in the opening, but I don't think that happened until after Mackenzie's birth. When Jill & Derrick/Jessa & Ben finally have their first babies, will they get an upfront mention as well? 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

I can see Josh getting at least some of it himself at this point. Being married with almost 4 kids and a job where he has to continue to be what he was groomed to be, he's too far down the rabbit hole to bail on the Duggar plan so it's safer to let him have more financial freedom.

When Jill & Derrick/Jessa & Ben finally have their first babies, will they get an upfront mention as well?

Jill already has one. "Then there's Jill -- she married Derick." I imagine Jessa and Ben will get thier own mention next season.

Edited by Literata