Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Most of this stuff is probably on a credit card.  NOT PEDRO'S.   When it's over--or even if it's not, Chantel is going to have a lot of debt.  She'll probably be divorced and bankrupt within a year.

That might be. I'm hoping that the worst they're doing is blowing their TV show payday. I suspect that is what they are doing because it's going to be more money than either of them have earned at this point in their lives, and they're both immature/impulsive (not sure immature is necessarily the right word here, so please don't crucify me for using it! :D ) when it comes to handling money. Although, they did put her stupid ring on her credit. So you could be completely right about the source of their purchasing power.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MrSmith said:

I don't understand why she isn't prioritizing a bigger apartment if that's such a big deal to her. She doesn't need the ring, the new car, or the party. I would argue the second wedding ceremony is more for his family than it is something she desperately wants.

Have they mentioned who is paying for the wedding?  I am assuming Pedro from the money he has been sending?  During their initial season, I thought they were in love but just made stupid decisions.   I can't see this working now.  It is fine for Pedro to send "some" money home but he should also be contributing to his and Chantel's household.  Plus, since she is going to school, I imagine most of her income is from TLC which is temporary (unless there is enough drama to last another season). 

Let's not forget the "filming" aspect of what went down.  Pedro's mom and sister were definitely driving home their point (to the cameras as well) that the chicken wing disrespect was because of the pre-nup.  Both the mom and sister made mention of being upset about the pre-nup during filming before the family even arrived. It was pretty much the first thing they mentioned.

I would not have been able to bring myself to eat any meat after the chicken feet episode either, but Chantel's family should have at least gotten out of the van to meet the grandmother and the other relatives.  They could have just made a pretense of eating some of the food (or said they were on a strict diet). There was a crew there so I doubt any voo doo was going down!

Best rule on traveling and arriving in any city, go to the hotel first and unwind before meeting up with any family/friends. It's always best to meet up the next day even if possible.  Why would they have gone on this long journey to the grandma's so late at night?  Wait until the next day when you can see the scenery!

• Love 4
(edited)

We don't really know how much that is, though. It could be as much as $3000, but other than the fact he hid that from Chantel, it's hard to argue against him doing this. She's gotten to spend at least as much on herself. That isn't to say that such amounts aren't going to be a problem eventually because they most certainly will be. What he's doing for his family right now is unsustainable. I don't think he cares about this, though, and I don't think he cares enough about Chantel to ever care about whether the amounts he sends home are sustainable. But then I'm still expecting him to get his citizenship and divorce Chantel. So I'm biased.

Amen!

3 hours ago, zenme said:

Man! I hope people  who are considering marrying understand  they need to really have conversations about financial obligations and expectations after the marriage. Obviously, Chantel and Pedro didn't have that conversation.  Money matters can be a marriage killer!

Amen again.  Chantel is very immature and did not think this out at all.  I cut her no slack for lying and continuing to lie to her family.  She is in a huge mess.

6 hours ago, KateHearts said:

Yes, but I think you are displaying the American view of family and marriage.  In many other cultures (most, I would venture to guess), there is always an ongoing obligation and sense of duty to one's parents and siblings.  I'm sorry it's not appropriate *for you* but I'm of the opinion that it's absolutely right, expected and done without question in Pedro's culture.  Maybe the demanding nature of his mother and sister rubs the wrong way- we aren't that way here as a rule- but the fact that in his family and culture a grown son who makes money is expected to help support his native family isn't necessarily an evil thing (just because it doesn't fit your narrative) 

Wow, just wow.  I am from a big Italian family but most parents want their children to succeed.  The point of my story about my grandfather is that he hit that "obligation" wall and made the decision to live for himself and build a life for his own family, which would be his own wife and children.  Pedro's family wanted him to bring a TV on an international flight?  Oh that would have gone well.  My two aunts went to Atlanta this past Thanksgiving to see one of their children and took a complete Thanksgiving dinner, already cooked, on the plane.  We were taking bets around the family to see if they were allowed to board and they were.  Her own son laughed his ass off as he told her that they sold all the ingredients in Atlanta too and he wanted her to teach him her recipes not to bring a cooked dinner.  As much as Chantel is an idiot, Pedro could have gone to her parents and told the truth but he didn't did he?  Boy he saw her coming a mile away.  Please see MrSmith's quote above.

I think I love you @Former Nun

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

Most of this stuff is probably on a credit card.  NOT PEDRO'S.   When it's over--or even if it's not, Chantel is going to have a lot of debt.  She'll probably be divorced and bankrupt within a year.

In my area there are countless storefronts where you can send money to DR via Western Union. That is probably how Pedro is sending cash to his family. At this point I loathe Chantel so much that the prospect of her being broke and broken hearted without her hot Latin hubby is utterly charming.

1 hour ago, Swim mom said:

If Pedro is planning to divorce Chantel, it would certainly explain why he has refused to be in a room with her parents for a year and a month.

Nothing--NOTHING would induce me to spend one minute in the company of people who treated me as foully as Chantel's family has treated Pedro. Chantel is the liar and the coward who threw Pedro under the bus and never, ever emits one peep in his defense when her family savages him. Never once did she say "I'm sorry I lied. Its not Pedro's fault, don't take it out on him. He went along with it because he loves me and thought I would know what was best".

• Love 10

With all the brouhaha about the chicken feet voodoo dinner and the cauldron at Grandma's, did anyone happen to notice Mother Chantel wearing another one of her ridiculously undersized hats? On the road trip she was sporting a little straw fedora with practically no brim at all. Looked as if Frank Sinatra's old hat got shrunk in the time machine.

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Have they mentioned who is paying for the wedding?  I am assuming Pedro from the money he has been sending?  During their initial season, I thought they were in love but just made stupid decisions.   I can't see this working now.  It is fine for Pedro to send "some" money home but he should also be contributing to his and Chantel's household.  Plus, since she is going to school, I imagine most of her income is from TLC which is temporary (unless there is enough drama to last another season). 

Let's not forget the "filming" aspect of what went down.  Pedro's mom and sister were definitely driving home their point (to the cameras as well) that the chicken wing disrespect was because of the pre-nup.  Both the mom and sister made mention of being upset about the pre-nup during filming before the family even arrived. It was pretty much the first thing they mentioned.

I would not have been able to bring myself to eat any meat after the chicken feet episode either, but Chantel's family should have at least gotten out of the van to meet the grandmother and the other relatives.  They could have just made a pretense of eating some of the food (or said they were on a strict diet). There was a crew there so I doubt any voo doo was going down!

Best rule on traveling and arriving in any city, go to the hotel first and unwind before meeting up with any family/friends. It's always best to meet up the next day even if possible.  Why would they have gone on this long journey to the grandma's so late at night?  Wait until the next day when you can see the scenery!

As far as I know, they have made no mention of who is paying for the wedding. I think assuming it is from the money Pedro has been sending home would be a mistake. I think, if anything, he has sent additional money to cover wedding expenses. I don't believe that his family would have paid those bills out of the money Pedro was otherwise sending them. I say that for two reasons. First, I would expect that the money he's otherwise sending them is enough to cover whatever it is they need it to cover. Second, they seem too greedy to be willing to spend part of that money for a wedding ceremony for Pedro and a woman whom they already dislike (and whose family they also dislike). I think this is pretty provably true based on his sister's attitude of "I got mine" that was so fully on display at his grandmother's house (when she said that if Chantel wants a bigger apartment, then she should get one and not to bitch about what Pedro's family has).

I don't think their marriage was ever going to be long-term, especially since (as another poster on here so aptly observed) their primary communication is in the language of Genitalia. I also don't think Pedro cares how much he financially contributes to his and Chantel's living situation. I think he probably expects she'll shoulder most of the debt, both during the marriage and in the event of divorce.

Her family absolutely should have gotten out of the van. There's no way to argue their side of it, that's for sure. At least meet the grandmother, accept her hospitality as graciously as possible, and then go back to the hotel. I don't understand why they arrived so late in the day. They clearly weren't going there on the same day they arrived in the DR. So, why couldn't they have left at an earlier time on the day they went? Personally, I would want to see where the grandmother lives when there's daylight by which to appreciate whatever she does/has done to make her living area livable and enjoyable. I'd want to see what life is really like for her. Maybe she has a vegetable garden of which she is particularly proud. Showing an interest in her and asking her to talk about herself would let them get to know her quite quickly.

As for traveling, you're absolutely right. I would want a day to unpack and recover from traveling. Of course, I'm not a very good air traveler. If anyone who last traveled with me in a plane is reading this, I would like to say I am sorry and, in my defence, that week in LA was long and hellish and I was feeling particularly unwell on that flight.

1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Nothing--NOTHING would induce me to spend one minute in the company of people who treated me as foully as Chantel's family has treated Pedro. Chantel is the liar and the coward who threw Pedro under the bus and never, ever emits one peep in his defense when her family savages him. Never once did she say "I'm sorry I lied. Its not Pedro's fault, don't take it out on him. He went along with it because he loves me and thought I would know what was best".

Her family is pretty awful to him and I agree with you that I can't see any reason why Pedro would want to spend time with them when he wasn't required to do so. Chantel does act innocent, as if she had no part in creating that environment and as if there's nothing she can do about how they treat him. Her family either thinks there's no way she would dream up such a lie and so it must be Pedro's fault, or they simply don't care that she was the architect and they're going to take it out on him instead. I've been in the position where I've had to defend my wife against my parents (on several occasions) and these always resulted in my not talking to my parents for a while (typically 1 to 3 years each time).

• Love 4

I re-watched and yes, he nibbled on a foot (mostly breading) then held it in his hand and kind of waved it around while talking, then ate some more. Later when Chantel was trying to explain (with her limited Spanish) that her family was offended by them, his mother and sister admitted to not eating chicken feet, but I thought I heard Pedro say (with his limited English) that he LIKES THEM. 

My guess is that production suggested that they serve something uniquely Dominican for the stupid Americans and Family Pedro happily obliged. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

When did the parents be rude to him? They were very nice before the wedding, asking about his pretend studies. They asked for the prenup, which is common these days. They attended the wedding. Then, they have repeatedly asked him to Sunday dinner, but he refuses like a whine y little brat. The teenager, I don't count, because, well, teenager. I think Pedro is actually worse than River.

13 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Her family is pretty awful to him and I agree with you that I can't see any reason why Pedro would want to spend time with them when he wasn't required to do so.

Her family hasn't had an opportunity to be awful to him because he has refused to be in a room with them since the wedding.  Chantel said so. The basketball with River was the first post wedding encounter that occurred. 

5 minutes ago, Swim mom said:

Her family hasn't had an opportunity to be awful to him because he has refused to be in a room with them since the wedding.  Chantel said so. The basketball with River was the first post wedding encounter that occurred. 

They weren't very nice to him during their time on 90DF originally. Granted, they were skeptical of Chantel and Pedro's collective story, but they were pretty stand-offish.

• Love 4

I wonder what the original timeline of the ill-fated Visit to Abuela was supposed to be. They had a five hour ride, got there quite late, refused to get out of the van and then headed back to the hotel for another five hours, basically driving through the night? Were they originally supposed to stay over at Abuela's or was there a Motel 6 nearby? And I still speculate that Pedro's family hitched a ride back with the camera crew. 

• Love 1

I remember Chantel's parents being very nice to Pedro. They took him out to eat, they made small talk. He liked them until he had to sign the prenup. That's when he began his refusal to speak to them. I'm going to watch him dig himself deeper.

Does anyone know  in which month family Chantel visited the DR? I'm just wondering since the closer you get to the equator, the less twilight you have. Sunset occurs in the DR as early as 6pm in some months, and complete darkness occurs less than an hour later. It may have not even been all that late in the evening when they arrived at Pedro's Abuela's home. 

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Swim mom said:

I remember Chantel's parents being very nice to Pedro. They took him out to eat, they made small talk. He liked them until he had to sign the prenup. That's when he began his refusal to speak to them. I'm going to watch him dig himself deeper.

I could be mis-remembering then. So, I'll take back what I've said about his relationship with her parents. I still think that River's treatment of Pedro would be enough to ward Pedro off from visiting, though. River is unreasonably and irrationally hostile toward Pedro.

7 minutes ago, Gigglepuff said:

Does anyone know  in which month family Chantel visited the DR? I'm just wondering since the closer you get to the equator, the less twilight you have. Sunset occurs in the DR as early as 6pm in some months, and complete darkness occurs less than an hour later. It may have not even been all that late in the evening when they arrived at Pedro's Abuela's home. 

This is a good point. The closer to the equator, the less the length of the day varies across the year. And you're right about the shorter twilight, as well. I live in central MN (latitudinally speaking) and summer twilight seems to go on forever - not to mention the overall length of the day. It's quite remarkable.

• Love 1
(edited)

Something happened in that 5 hour drive to the farm in that van. What did the Family Chantel talk about? What did Chantel tell them that we aren't seeing on TV?  I wonder if Chantel let it slip that she's buying stuff on credit while he sends money home. 

There is more than we are being told. 

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 6

Some People in Barbados  do eat chicken feet (No go for me) , gizzards, liver and necks (yummy). Nothing to do it class that shit is just  tasty fried. However it doesn't look so disgusting and greasy like Family Pedro's. They were totally Fing with them.  Don't see the Americans freaking out over Alex fried liver and onions (hmmm).  The issue here is a lot of Americans seem to have no knowledge of the rest of the worlds customs. It is mind boggling and makes them appear stupid. 

• Love 2

People immigrate here and send money home all the time.  When you come on a fiance visa you have to work out this financial situation in a contract before you marry.  That is where I stand.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Nikki55x said:

Some People in Barbados  do eat chicken feet (No go for me) , gizzards, liver and necks (yummy). Nothing to do it class that shit is just  tasty fried. However it doesn't look so disgusting and greasy like Family Pedro's. They were totally Fing with them.  Don't see the Americans freaking out over Alex fried liver and onions (hmmm).  The issue here is a lot of Americans seem to have no knowledge of the rest of the worlds customs. It is mind boggling and makes them appear stupid. 

If Loren was expected to eat the chicken liver, she would have freaked out. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Nikki55x said:

It's not about customs, it's about serving something decent.  Eat crap on your own time.  I get that chicken feet and necks are cheap and maybe great for them to snack on ordinarily, but when you have guests, serve something respectable.  There is plenty of good local food they could have served.  It would be like if I had company over and served up microwave hot pockets and Doritos for dinner.  Hey, it's American!  It's also shit for company.  In this case company that just brought you thousands of dollars in gifts.  I'm all for learning and experience different customs, just share some good ones with me.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

THIS!     And is there some restraining order on Chantel's parents that keeps them from watching the last season?   Chantel is a liar and conniver and I think Pedro is probably the same. 

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

THIS!     And is there some restraining order on Chantel's parents that keeps them from watching the last season?   Chantel is a liar and conniver and I think Pedro is probably the same. 

YES, they both are.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Former Nun said:

SANKY PANKY (2007)  Genaro gets a job at a resort in hopes of marrying an American woman and moving to New York in search of a better life. He meets a tourist called Martha and everything seems going according to plan, until her boyfriend shows up.        Several DVDs available on eBay: $13.00     Maybe someone can send a copy to Chantel's family.

SankyPanky.jpg

ha! just like melanie and devar!!

• Love 2
On 7/24/2017 at 3:23 AM, biakbiak said:

Plastic gloves? I love chicken feet eat them at least twice a month at dim sum, never needed plastic gloves, chopsticks work fine also it didn't appear that hers were barely sauced. Though now I am going to look up recipes for Dominican style chicken feet since I have only had Chinese and Korean versions.

I too, love chicken feet, and duck tongues as well from our local dim sum place. I also roast the turkey neck along with the turkey every Thanksgiving and gobble it up ( pun intended.) lol!   That being said, yes I agree with everyone else, both families are reprehensible.

• Love 3
On 7/26/2017 at 1:43 AM, jumper sage said:

I loved when Russ caught that agent in a lie.  Didn't she have to pay for the agent to represent her?  The agent reminds me of someone who's business is more scam than business.  I think she didn't want Russ to come to Miami because she knew she had Paola, hook line and sinker.  The photographer gives me the creeps.

I will never agree with Ansifa hitting Jorge.  He should take the tapes to the D.A., convict her and get an annulment and deport her ass.  Don't get me wrong, he is an asshole too for lying but nothing makes it ok to hit someone.

The most horrid couple ever to appear on TV - loved how her daughter knew that gross lady could not be alone with the nut job.

She probably gets a cut when she sends business to that terrible photographer. That's why she sent her again to feature her 'current look.

Also, she doesn't like 'married' models and Pao, being married, got no 'business' from her - geez I wonder what kind of business is so distasteful to husbands?'

• Love 8
(edited)
On 7/26/2017 at 9:31 PM, KBrownie said:

Pedro has said out of his own mouth multiple times that this is what his culture does and that he is doing what he wants to do

Then live in the Dominican Republic.  He chose to marry an American wife.  And, as in all marriages, the wife and her wishes trump anything his biological family may want, say, or think.

If Chantel says no, it should stop.  Period.  ETA: She should not have to go without one thing in order to send money back to the freeloaders in DR.

I keep hearing about "Chantel's piece of the pie."  It's her pie.  She can slice it any way she wants.

Edited by bethster2000
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

Then live in the Dominican Republic.  He chose to marry an American wife.

So? One of my aunts is Filipino and I know that she and my uncle have been sending money back to her family in the Philippines for probably the last 40 years. They own several homes in that country, most of which her family lives in.

And, as in all marriages, the wife and her wishes trump anything his biological family may want, say, or think.

This is not necessarily true. Marriage, like all relationships, is about negotiation and compromise. So the married couple should discuss things and make their own decision together. At that point, whatever the married couple wishes trumps anything either of their families want, say, or think. The wife's whims are not paramount by dint of being the wife.

• Love 12
On ‎27‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 3:27 AM, KBrownie said:

This.  Exactly.  Pedro isn't doing anything he doesn't want to do.  No one is manipulating him or forcing him to do anything.  He's made it plainly clear that this is what his culture is, he wants to help and is happy to do so.  If that's not your belief system, then so be it.  No one else has to understand it or like it, least of all Chantel's family.  He does need to come to some sort of understanding with Chantel though if they are to remain in a relationship.  Although it's really hard to sympathize with her.  She's getting her piece of the pie as well as Pedro's family what with the second wedding, bachelorette party, $3500 ring and new car.  Maybe she should have put all that money towards a new apartment if that's the priority.  She's certainly not going without, so she just looks like a big hypocrite.

It's an "Inter-Nup". Chantal got a ring that cost exactly as much money as Pedro had already sent to the DR. 

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

He chose to marry an American wife.  And, as in all marriages, the wife and her wishes trump anything his biological family may want, say, or think.

And this is exactly why American men don't want to marry American women ?

Edited by Ivanova
  • Love 3

So? One of my aunts is Filipino and I know that she and my uncle have been sending money back to her family in the Philippines for probably the last 40 years.

As you reported your aunt's case, it sounds like she and your uncle discussed and agreed on their money plans.  Pedro didn't give Chantel that option.   I could have done without the "So?".

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Former Nun said:

As you reported your aunt's case, it sounds like she and your uncle discussed and agreed on their money plans.  Pedro didn't give Chantel that option.   I could have done without the "So?".

OK. Let me expand it then:

So what? What does the nationality of his wife have anything to do with where they live or what they do with their money?

• Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

Then live in the Dominican Republic.  He chose to marry an American wife.  And, as in all marriages, the wife and her wishes trump anything his biological family may want, say, or think.

If Chantel says no, it should stop.  Period.  ETA: She should not have to go without one thing in order to send money back to the freeloaders in DR.

I keep hearing about "Chantel's piece of the pie."  It's her pie.  She can slice it any way she wants.

Lol.  Classic American hubris.  "Like it or leave it," right?  There's no way but the American way.  You do know that there really isn't such a thing right?    Otherwise, "America," from its inception, is made up of many different cultures from different parts of the world.  Except for the Native Americans who were already here with their own customs and cultures.  But you're probably not referring to Native Americans.  You probably mean white, European America as the standard for all things "American."  And even then you're still dead wrong.  I'm sure there are lots of what you consider to be typical "Americans" who'd tell you that the belief that the wife is always right is total bullshit.

"The wife and her wishes trump anything."  Really?  So he should just kowtow to whatever she wants huh?  His wishes and wants don't mean anything in the relationship.  What a great relationship that must be.  

No, it isn't just her pie.  It's his too.  And apparently, he's contributing just as much or more with his two jobs as she is.  He certainly does have a say into what happens to it and how it gets sliced.  What a f-ed up way of viewing a marriage and relationship that the wife can just do whatever she wants and the husband just has to dutifully follow along.  Good luck with that Chantel!  I hope you have fun alone and miserable with that attitude . . . 

Edited by KBrownie
  • Love 12
11 minutes ago, KBrownie said:

Lol.  Classic American hubris.  "Like it or leave it," right?  There's no way but the American way.  You do know that there really isn't such a thing right?    Otherwise, "America," from its inception, is made up of many different cultures from different parts of the world.  Except for the Native Americans who were already here with their own customs and cultures.  But you're probably not referring to Native Americans.  You probably mean white, European America as the standard for all things "American."  And even then you're still dead wrong.  I'm sure there are lots of what you consider to be typical "Americans" who'd tell you that the belief that the wife is always right is total bullshit.

"The wife and her wishes trump anything."  Really?  So he should just kowtow to whatever she wants huh?  His wishes and wants don't mean anything in the relationship.  What a great relationship that must be.  

No, it isn't just her pie.  It's his too.  And apparently, he's contributing just as much or more with his two jobs as she is.  He certainly does have a say into what happens to it and how it gets sliced.  What a f-ed up way of viewing a marriage and relationship that the wife can just do whatever she wants and the husband just has to dutifully follow along.  Good luck with that Chantel!  I hope you have fun alone and miserable with that attitude . . . 

In defense of BETHSTER2000, I think she meant that, regardless of nationality, race, creed, or religion, spouses support each other.  They are joined as a new family & that new family should be each others' priority.  I don't think she meant any American bias or supremacy.  Can we go with that and not make this anything else?

• Love 11
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Kath94 said:

In defense of BETHSTER2000, I think she meant that, regardless of nationality, race, creed, or religion, spouses support each other.  They are joined as a new family & that new family should be each others' priority.  I don't think she meant any American bias or supremacy.  Can we go with that and not make this anything else?

Then why the emphasis on "American wife," how things should be done the "American" way, and how he should go back to the Dominican Republic? Pretty classic attitude for certain groups who think that any criticism or deviation from what is deemed "standard" in America is therefore un-American and if they don't like it then leave.  Plus, your description isn't even really close to what was said about Chantel and Pedro's relationship.  The wife always being right in an American relationship and Chantel having final say because it's solely her pie isn't remotely close to what you say about spouses always supporting each other regardless of nationality, race, etc.

And the original point still doesn't apply to anything I've said (bethster2000 quoted me) about the Pedro and Chantel situation.  I've said repeatedly they need to come sort of compromise and agreement about the whole thing.  Pedro is the one who is at least trying to make it happen.  He's done things for Chantel that isn't part of his culture, but hers that make him uncomfortable to try and assimilate and keep the peace.  But Chantel is all, "but in America . . . " to try and get him to drop the parts of his culture that she doesn't like.  

Edited by KBrownie
More to add
  • Love 7
On 7/26/2017 at 4:51 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

It's called a fogata, very common in rural areas of PR and the DR.  Wood burning outdoor cooking pot.  My husband saw them growing up in PR, and nobody in his family has one nor tried to feed me chicken feet.  I'm not sure where Mother Chantel got her ideas about voodoo and chicken feet.

Her parents behavior was appalling to say the least.  I wouldn't want to eat chicken necks or feet, but I would have definitely stayed around for rice, beans, and plantains.

Exactly!  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Kath94 said:

I'm on @KBrownie's side on this one. I just didn't have the stones to say it the way s|he did. I couldn't figure out how to say it such that it wouldn't incite an argument or feel like an attack on bethster2000. I'm glad that @KBrownie was able to phrase it differently than I could figure out how to because I feel like it needed to be said.

• Love 6

I've already reminded everyone of the Be Civil rule.  

If you can't make your point without being rude and dismissive toward other posters, expect a warning. 

• Love 14
(edited)

I took one for the team and rewatched an earlier show on demand.

Mom: is Pedro coming?

Dad or River: Yeah, where is he at? (Not my grammar,  just typing)

Mom: I'd love to see him, love to see the both of you.

Chantel: He's not coming.

Mom: Why? Is he hiding from us?

River: He's scared of somebody.

Chantel: He's not a scared, he just doesn't feel comfortable. 

Dad: How can we welcome Pedro when he's missing in action?

Blah, blah stuff

River: He never comes to our dinners, he never comes to our family outings, honestly, I feel like that's disrespectful.

Later on:

Mom: Did Pedro's mother ever say when do I get to meet your mom and dad? 

Chantel: No, she never said anything like that.

Blah blah flashback to stupid americans comment.

River: But Pedro's not even comfortable coming to the dinner table with us, why should I be comfortable going out of the country?

River: If he'd come around more, I'll feel more willing to go.

I'm still team Chantel family  except teenager, because, well, teenager.

Edited by Swim mom

During the basketball game:

River: We haven't seen you since the marriage. You got to come round and show us the trust.

Pedro: Shut up man.

River: You got to show us the trust.

Pedro: Play, man, Play.

Later on Pedro turns to the teenager and says, "You de snake. " Then he starts talking about venom.

I'm not partial to teenagers, but I'm also not partial to adults who roll in the mud with teenagers. I previously didn't like River, but I might have to cut him a break after rewatching the scene and paying attention to what was said.

So Pedro spent, maybe, a half hour with a teenager in 13 months and says it's closed, it's locked, he's crazy, the end. 

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:03 PM, CofCinci said:

Alexi and his family are considered a second or third class group in Israel. He's not able to find gainful employment and he's not desirable to Israeli-born females -- which is why he married an American. The family most likely wants out ASAP.  

What does this mean? Are they 2nd/3rd class bc they immigrated to Israel? Or bc they aren't wealthy (though seem ok to me - not rich but middle class).

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, cereality said:

he's not desirable to Israeli-born females -- which is why he married an American

And his female friends are not Israleli born, by the way. They all have Russian names.

• Love 2

Here's one positive with Chantel and Pedro. ONE. 

Chantel is learning Spanish and honestly, as someone who can speak Spanish, she's doing very well. And with the Dominicans, too! Mi gente! No one understands Dominican Spanish - too fast and a lot of weird slang.

11 minutes ago, Ivanova said:

And his female friends are not Israleli born, by the way. They all have Russian names.

Lots of Russian-born Israelis after the fall of the Soviet Union. They mostly don't Hebraicize their names like early Israelis did.

• Love 4
On 7/24/2017 at 10:05 PM, IntoTheMystic said:

Maybe I'm seeing things, but did Pedro grab his sister's ass at the airport when he greeted her?

Omg, YES! I rewound twice, thinking I was seeing things. Wtf?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, VanSensei said:

Lots of Russian-born Israelis after the fall of the Soviet Union. They mostly don't Hebraicize their names like early Israelis did.

I know, but I was replying to the comment that said that he was not desireable to Israeli born girls. I said that the girls in his circle were from the same background as him, so there shouldn't be any problem for him to find somebody.

14 hours ago, MrSmith said:

So? One of my aunts is Filipino and I know that she and my uncle have been sending money back to her family in the Philippines for probably the last 40 years. They own several homes in that country, most of which her family lives in.

They agree on the situation.  That's good and they are also realizing a real estate portfolio too.  I can get on board with a couple working together but I don't think that is what is going on with Pedro/Chantel.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, cereality said:

What does this mean? Are they 2nd/3rd class bc they immigrated to Israel? Or bc they aren't wealthy (though seem ok to me - not rich but middle class).

There isn't a middle class in Israel. Their middle class is much like our working class (Roseanne and Dan Conner, but Jewish). http://m.jpost.com/Business/Business-News/Study-finds-major-gap-between-upper-and-lower-middle-class-in-Israel-352795

They are treated like 3rd class citizens because if they (their parents/grandparents) survived the Ukraine Holocaust they were most likely Collaborators - so they are viewed very poorly and even hated/discriminated against by some.  This is most likely why his family wants to leave.

I'm not an expert. Just a shiksa dating an Israeli/US dual citizen and he happened to watch with me one night. 

7 minutes ago, Ivanova said:

I know, but I was replying to the comment that said that he was not desireable to Israeli born girls. I said that the girls in his circle were from the same background as him, so there shouldn't be any problem for him to find somebody.

They most likely want to upgrade. 

• Love 1
(edited)
25 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

They are treated like 3rd class citizens because if they (their parents/grandparents) survived the Ukraine Holocaust they were most likely Collaborators

My effin god. The Ukraine Holocaust was 75 years ago. His ancestors could be living anywhere else at that time. I can't believe this kind of treatment can be given to someone in Israel. I will have to ask my husband (also Jewish) and his friends. I have never heard of this before.

Edited by Ivanova
  • Love 3
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Ivanova said:

My effin god. The Ukraine Holocaust was 75 years ago. His ancestors could be living anywhere else at that time. I can't believe this kind of treatment can be given to someone in Israel. I will have to ask my husband (also Jewish) and his friends. I havs never heard of this before.

Intra-Jewish racism is (surprisingly) a thing.  The Ethiopian Jews in Israel are marching/protesting right now (police brutality). Only a few years ago they were sterilized with Depo Provera injections.  Israel isn't all bagels and lox - which is why Alexi's mother doesn't want to leave the weaker son behind.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 5