Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

The way mother Chantel enunciated, "stuuupid Ameeerrrricans," annoyed the hell out of me.  Yes, mother Chantel, you are a stuuupid Ameeerrrrican, are you surprised that someone finally called you out on that? That said, I think that family Chantel and family Pedro deserve each other. Pedro's family is shady, but that doesn't mean that Chantel's is much better. They're way too involved in their adult daughter's situation. She is her late 20s for God's sake. What is it with the infantilizing of grown ass adults these days? Chantel lied to her family. She is more to blame for that than Pedro. It's not as if she's some innocent, gullible teen who went along with some crazy scheme put upon her by some older, swarthy man. She is fully complicit in this entire situation, not an innocent princess-victim. 

• Love 8

Pedro and Chantel are doomed.  Their families are too involved in their marriage.    I dont like either one of their families. They should do themselves a favor and divorce before Chantel gets pregnant and has Pedro's baby.   Walmart Tom speaks the truth.  Crazy Danielle talking about how Mo hurt her children. Seriously...that woman needs to be somewhere in round the clock therapy cause surely she's got a mental problem.  Pao is a booty model.  Is that her big dream?  Guess someone has to do it.  I dont see why Pao cant get a job waiting tables and have her modeling career on the side.  She is acting like her "modeling" gigs bring in real money.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Schadenfreulein said:

Who the heck still calls their father "Daddy" at whatever age Chantel is? That was gag-inducing. 

Depends on the area of the country in which you live and your family. It's actually pretty common in the South to always use that when talking about your father, including once he's dead.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

It would help to know how Chantel and Pedro have set up their finances. If they have a joint account and a separate personal account, then what Pedro does with his personal funds should not rattle her cage so hard. If he's contributing what they agreed on Chantel needs to simmer down. If she can buy herself a $3,500 ring, she can send a few bucks back to DR.

If she doesnt like sleeping by the stove, they need to get pen and paper and reconfigure the finances together. 

It is curious that this has devolved into "Wah! we have a small apartment!". A dollar goes a lot further in DR than in Atlanta. If Chantel wants to move to Santo Domingo I'm sure she could have a huge apartment there for what she pays in Atlanta.

13 hours ago, Granny58 said:

so....did I hear this right?  Loren's dad said there wasn't an Internet to check on Tourette's and so they only found on recently that it is hereditary?   Didn't they meet just a few years ago (2, 3?)  Um.....Internet has been around a few years more than that.  

Right? I call bullshit. Loudly. No internet? Loren is 28, and she was diagnosed when she was 9 or 10, right? So, in 1997, no internet? No resources of any kind? (Yanno, even though you may have had no internet access, there were these things called libraries, with all the knowledge of the world within their walls). The whole bunch of them are just like Loren, apparently. They weep and bury their heads in their pillows rather than face anything head on.

12 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Omg! Pedro deserves better than this family. Is family Chantel really that stupid? He's working and paying the bills while she goes to school. USD in the Dominican Republic goes much further than it does in the expensive city Chantel wants to live. This isn't rocket science. Why are they all over his ass?. This is between Pedro and Chantel! Her dad and brother need to step back! Although I wouldn't necessarily want my husband sending money home to his mom, it's still none of family Chanel's business! I am so glad Pedro is telling the little shit brother to keep his mouth shut. I hate how they talk down to Pedro. 

Agreed. I think Pedro is a good guy and his wife sending him off to be ganged up on by her father and brother was just such a WTF moment for me. Why do they have to butt in? this is between Pedro and Chantel, no one else. Chantel has a new car, a $3500 ring, and a second wedding in DR. What is her problem, exactly? "Pedro needs to put me first! He needs to fight for me!" She is full of shit. She is pissed that Pedro's mother has a nice apartment. What a nasty, spiteful, self centered little girl she is. Do not even get me started on how all of Chantel's family feels perfectly free to talk smack about Pedro's mother right to his face! In what world is that ok? For good or ill she is his mother. "Your mother is a grasping, greedy witch and she has a nicer apartment that my daughter". Real diplomatic, Papa Chantel. And how funny--no mention of chicken feet or voodoo stew at abuela's house. It was never about that. Chantel's family looks down on Pedro and his family, they are dismissive of anything he has to say, and they say to his face that they think he is using Chantel for a green card. He should kick her to the curb. It would serve her skanky ass right. She thinks she can call the shots because she is the avenue for Pedro to gain American citizenship. Even she believes he's fleecing her. How can they stay married after that?

12 hours ago, Nowhere said:

I don't hate Anfisa. I think she has some childhood trauma or something that causes her shitty behavior. I do think she wants to be taken care of and I think Jorge lied to her so that really makes me dislike him. Especially when he's babied by his sisters and you can just tell he's always been their little golden boy. The family probably spoiled the hell out of him and now he's a typical privileged male that can get away with crime, lie to women to impress them, and then play victim when he's held accountable for his lies. Anfisa was too young and I believe too vulnerable to make a clear decision. I don't really like her either, but the way they treat her is terrible, calling her a prostitute and such. I think I would be very upset if I were Anfisa. She needs some therapy but she doesn't need Jorge if she wants to heal. I think he's a terrible person. He's just more passive aggressive. Hate to say, I think she actually loves the idiot. He just makes me sick.

Every time I see Jorge's pouty face I want to smack him. He looks like a fourth grader who was caught cheating and is being sent to the principal's office. Now its all Anfisa's fault that he didn't see his family and friends! She isolated him! Sister Lourdes refrained from any remarks about leg-spreading, for which I am grateful. She is a smug piece of work.

11 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

Chantel and Pedro are beyond immature. My husband and I kept yelling at the tv,everytime they both kept saying "we don't know if the wedding is still on,if we're even together" you're freaking married! Married couples don't question if they're still together after stupid fights. Chantel wants a nicer home? Well sweetheart return the ring use the money for a down payment idiot. 

Her parents are feeding her bullshit and ruining her marriage & she doesn't even see it! Pedro's family are no better but with the vibe Chantal's family gives off,the snobby attitude I can see why Pedro's family is acting like assholes back. 

Hahaha, me too. "you're already married! get a grip!" I'm cheering for Pedro's family at this point. Mama Chantel in particular deserves it. I have never seen anyone so rude.

9 hours ago, MrHufflepuff said:

As for Papa Chantel stating that Chantel had a better standard of living before Pedro, did she have that sweet TLC money before she met him?  Pedro is contributing to a rise in Chantel's standard of living by being on this stupid show, so Papa Chantel can shut it.

Papa Chantel is also full of shit when he says her standard of living was higher before Pedro came along. She was living at home, not in an apartment on her own. So stuff it, Papa Chantel. You are a liar and a chickenshit.

• Love 12

Not really seeing what the big deal is about the small apartment. It's not like they have any kids. How much room do you need? Maybe they do a lot of entertaining??

I don't like Anfisa but Jorge saying he couldn't hang with his friends is kinda fucked up. The girl doesn't know anyone here, why would he think it's ok to leave her at home and hang with his friends? 

I don't think it's an issue for Pedro to send his mom money and gifts as long as it doesn't take away from what needs to be done at home. Not sure how much he sends home but would it be enough to pay to not sleep by the stove or whatever? Sorry, my mom is my mom and if she lived in a 3rd world country I would definitely be sending money back home.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Lola43 said:

Not really seeing what the big deal is about the small apartment. It's not like they have any kids. How much room do you need? Maybe they do a lot of entertaining??

It's about Chantal being spoiled and entitled. How dare motherPedro and sisterPedro have a bigger apartment using money that Pedro could be spending on her? Clearly Chantal has always been the princess who is entitled to everything. While I think she has a right to be pissed off if Pedro is sending large sums to his mom every month without telling her, you would think they would have had that conversation before they got married.  I guess Chantal would be happier if mother Pedro lived in squallor. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Lola43 said:

I don't think it's an issue for Pedro to send his mom money and gifts as long as it doesn't take away from what needs to be done at home. Not sure how much he sends home but would it be enough to pay to not sleep by the stove or whatever? Sorry, my mom is my mom and if she lived in a 3rd world country I would definitely be sending money back home.

There is huge difference between Pedro helping his mother/sister and taking care of them.  Huge! I believe what Mr. Thomas was trying to get across to him is that while he made his mother and sister’s lives better; he didn’t do the same for his wife.  I just couldn’t get over the fact that he intends for them to live in an efficiency until Chantel graduates and get a better job; meaning she is going to have to pay the rent or mortgage.  

• Love 6
(edited)

I hate to say this because I fear that it sounds unnecessarily mean, but if Pedro's mother wants a higher standard of living, then Pedro's mother should do something about it.  I'd sing a different tune if she were incapacitated somehow, but she's clearly not.  I'm not saying he shouldn't send anything back, but to deplete their own finances to do so is unacceptable.  That being said, Chantel is still a childish bitch (her and her $3,500 ring) and her family are conducting themselves disgracefully.  There's no excuse for the way they acted with Pedro's family, refusing to even get out of the van at his poor grandmother's house.  If I were Pedro's abuela, that would have been the last time they pulled that van up to my home and sat outside making wisecracks about how "this is where the militia lives."  God, what assholes.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 6

I get the cultural differences, but if it is a third world country as some have mentioned, they don't need fancy flat irons and flat screens.

The mother and sister not being able to contain their greed at the airport ?

While I don't think the family Chantel is much better, I do think the father is right when he says Chantel is being used so Pedro can send money and items to his mother and sister.

I also can't get past the chicken feet and necks. That was a solid fuck you.   Pedro was a dead giveaway when he clearly didn't want to eat one.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, SuzyLee said:

I hate to say this because I fear that it sounds unnecessarily mean, but if Pedro's mother wants a higher standard of living, then Pedro's mother should do something about it.  I'm not saying he shouldn't send anything back, but to deplete their own finances to do is unacceptable.  That being said, Chantel is still a childish bitch (her and her $3,500 ring) and her family are conducting themselves disgracefully.  There's no excuse for the way they acted with Pedro's family, refusing to even get out of the van at his grandmother's house.

What is so mean about that?  You are right - Pedro's mom seems capable of helping herself.  She can whip up some chicken feet and sell them!!

Jorge - horrible horrible pathetic man.  Actually he is not a man, he is a man-child who was babied and CLEARLY tells his over involved sisters only part of the story, not the part about him lying to Anfisa and being a puss about things.  His comment from way back about needing to "settle down....I am 26, after all!!"  YUCK.  Jorge, you are going to be a 56 year old four times divorced man who is 100 pounds heavier than you are now.  How is that for mean??  LOL!!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

I hate to say this because I fear that it sounds unnecessarily mean, but if Pedro's mother wants a higher standard of living, then Pedro's mother should do something about it.  I'd sing a different tune if she were incapacitated somehow, but she's clearly not.  I'm not saying he shouldn't send anything back, but to deplete their own finances to do so is unacceptable.  That being said, Chantel is still a childish bitch (her and her $3,500 ring) and her family are conducting themselves disgracefully.  There's no excuse for the way they acted with Pedro's family, refusing to even get out of the van at his poor grandmother's house.  If I were Pedro's abuela, that would have been the last time they pulled that van up to my home and sat outside making wisecracks about how this is "where the militia lives."  God, what assholes.

Edited just now by SuzyLee.

I might agree with this if his mother lived in the United States. 

I'm not sure what life is like in the Dominican Republic but as many posters have previously stated, the American dollar goes further there. It might be one of those countries where people make 1.50 for a full day's work. I read his mom is an attorney. I don't know what their story is but his mom, sister and Chantel seem very materialistic.

Nothing wrong with an efficiency in my opinion. My first apartment was an efficiency. 

• Love 1

I don't know how that rumor of Pedro's mom being an attorney got started, but there doesn't seem to be evidence of it anywhere.  Based on the fact that before Chantel came into the picture, all three of them were living in a one bedroom apartment in a "high crime" area, I find that hard to believe.  

2 minutes ago, Lola43 said:

I might agree with this if his mother lived in the United States. 

I'm not sure what life is like in the Dominican Republic but as many posters have previously stated, the American dollar goes further there. It might be one of those countries where people make 1.50 for a full day's work. I read his mom is an attorney. I don't know what their story is but his mom, sister and Chantel seem very materialistic.

Nothing wrong with an efficiency in my opinion. My first apartment was an efficiency. 

Well, that may be true, but Pedro and Chantel clearly aren't exactly setting the world on fire here in America either.  They don't have highly-paid jobs and this reality TV gig will go away someday.  They have to take care of themselves first and foremost.  Receiving help from family during tough times is one thing.  Relying on one's adult child to provide a monthly stipend to pay bills is quite another.  YMMV, of course.  There will be as many opinions on this subject as there are people.

• Love 5
(edited)

Lawd, I don't think I could have ever foretold that Pedro and Chantal would have the most popping storyline this season. Shit got REAL! Rudeness and immaturity abound on both sides, with two scoops of ignorance on Family Chantal side! 

I hate how Pedro keeps saying that his family is his responsibility and his problem. Ummm.. nope. It is not just his problem when he is taking money away from the family pot, it effects Chantal. I would love to hear a dollar amount of how much he is sending and spending on his family in the DR. The tv and the laptop seemed ridiculous. 

Danielle got told! Tom ain't shit though. He ain't neutral. Plus, I was looking for that dog he had in that too small cage last season. 

I kind of want to just give Mo the green card just for sleeping with Danielle period! That being said, this storyline is dead and buried. The show needs to move on. 

It's a problem when Danielle is in an episode yet I don't find her to be the most ridiculous person on there. I'm bestowing that honor on Paola today. Her sitting there saying that it is time to be realistic? Coming from the 30 year old who left her husband to be a model in the hottie capital of the East Coast? Girl bye! 

11 hours ago, Matias130 said:

I think it's funny how every episode Paola makes a passive/aggressive comment about American culture vs Latino culture while throwing digs at American culture of course. "The difference is in Latino culture when a man loses his job he will do anything, even sell empanadas on the street, to provide for his family." Maybe she has never met men with the kind of education and professional expertise like Russ is what I am guessing. Personally, I wouldnt see the motivation when a wife runs out on you to South Beach to try to break into modeling at 29 and giving ultimatums that it's Miami or nothing. Omg. Is she above bartending or working fast food, instead of spending her nights going out to clubs ? 

It is not only that but that she is imposing all these traditional male values on Russ but isn't doing the same on herself. Would a traditional Columbian woman leave her husband hi and dry to go chase a pipe dream or at home making those empanadas she expects her husband to sell on the street? Don't be expecting traditional gender roles from your significant other if you ain't abiding by them either. 

Loren as spokesperson for Tourettes? Sorry not sorry, but it is a little eye roll worthy for me to see someone as intellectually not curious about her own damn condition giving lectures to anyone when she just damn near found out yesterday that her condition can be genetically passed down. 

Anfisa's plastic surgeon is a POS! I have always heard that any time a doctor, especially a plastic surgeon, not only suggests procedures your ass didn't ask about but also suggests, without prompting, a head to toe assessment of your problem areas - you run hard, fast and deep away from that SOB.  

Jorge friend seemed really nice and gave pretty good advice but  no tea no shade, he was not what I expected.  Jorge hasn't seen him in 2 years?!? Bitch really? I believe Anfisa does make it hard for Jorge to go out and interact with family and friends, however, I also think Jorge is that bitch that drops everyone as soon as he gets a girlfriend/woman. 

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 15

What is Chantal studying at school? Do they think she's going to land some great job as soon as she graduates. I know some of friends have kids that have graduated recently and have found jobs in the $45,000 per yr starting range. I also know some friends that have kids that had to move back home after graduation because they can't find jobs. All depends on the area of the country you live in and what your major is.  Pedro shouldn't bank on the idea that as soon as Chantal graduates, she will have a great job immediately. They need a plan B, and until then he should be sending the bare minimum to his family. Big screenTV's, dresses, cosmetics, hair accessories, NO NO! 

• Love 1

I thought she said she was studying nursing. Which, in reality tv language (ie. Judge Judy) means "personal care worker who changes adult diapers". 

• Love 3
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

I get the cultural differences, but if it is a third world country as some have mentioned, they don't need fancy flat irons and flat screens

Really, no one needs flat irons and flat screens, but why shouldn't people in a developing nation have some luxuries? I don't think Pedro should be the one providing them, unless he's buying something (with Chantel's knowledge) as a gift for a birthday or holiday on the odd occasion. I have no issue with people sending money or gifts back home. The problem here is that he's doing it without Chantel's input. Also, yeah, Pedro's family was disgusting asking for gifts right at the airport. I hope that scene was producer driven. 

Why does Chantel need her father to speak to Pedro? Why was River there? Is she not an adult? Seriously, I can't stand the "helpless little girl" vibe from her. As much as she has a problem with other cultures ways of doing things, she needs to examine herself and her "culture." Calling your father "daddy" as 26? Her male relatives treating her as if she's a child and damsel in distress? Gross and cringe inducing. 

Edited by Gigglepuff
added comment
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, NotEatingKale said:

I guess he took an entry-level engineering job in Miami making $55,000-$60,000 per year. I've never been to Miami. Does anyone know if this is a living wage? 

Miami has become one of the most expensive cities to live in, with a huge disparity between the rich and the poor.  Lots of foreign investment in the housing market has made housing costs skyrocket.  So whether it's a living wage depends upon their expectations...based upon what I've seen from these two, I don't think that they would be happy.  Miami is also not a family-friendly place to raise kids for those without large incomes.  Just my experience living there....

• Love 5

I really find it the height of American hubris and arrogance to pronounce that people in the third world don't need flat irons or large screen tvs. I mean, who are we to decide what other people deserve? Are they somehow  so much lower that they are forbidden form having their own wants and desires? Because of an accident of birth, should we expect them to abandon all hope of material improvement and have them fall on their knees in front of Chantel and her family for whatever alms they deem appropriate to give. Chantel and her family want Pedro to help lift her standard of living. Why is that ok, but Pedro's family are excoriated and vilified for wanting Pedro to help lift them up as well? I get the argument that she is the wife. But, Pedro's family have been there longer for him than Chantel has.  Maybe Chantel needs to spend a little more time "in grade" before demanding to be on level with his family. How long has she been a devoted, loving wife? I mean she sure as shit gives her own parents a lot more deference than her husband. I understand that she is the source of the green card, but he is also part of her ticket to the show and the cash that brings in, too.  And it's really easy to sit back and say, "Get a job, you able bodied person." Well, in many depressed parts of the third world and even the rust belt  in America, there are no jobs. There are a lot of lawyers and engineers driving cabs and selling empanadas on street corners. Chantel could take herself out and get a side hustle to bring in a little extra cash to buy the things she wants. I just don't understand the double standard of the third world mother needing to hustle more than the younger American. Are Americans somehow  too worthy and people in the third world are expendable?

Frankly, I find both families spoiled, self centered and obsessed with being respected. It's why they can't get along. They are too similar. Given that Chantel's family holds all the cards: greater economic power, daughter living close to home, Pedro alone in their country and on their turf, etc, you would think they could afford to be a little more gracious. You certainly are not going to win friends and influence people when your approach is that your husband and his family are filthy con artists using your daughter for her money. How do you expect a family to feel when their son is a stranger in a strange land and being treated like that? How does Pedro find a middle ground with a father and brother in law who have no respect for him whatsoever? According to dad and brother, Chantel had a better standard of living BEFORE Pedro. Chanel and family want Pedro to bow and scrape and turn over all his money to raise up their daughter and be eternally grateful that he gets to do it. Both families are crap, but I think Pedro's family has been fighting back with whatever they can. Chantel's family is doubly crap for lording their economic power and entitlement over Pedro's family. Run, Pedro, Run.

As for Loren's dad and all is bs about no support and no help.. yadda yadda yadda. If he had wanted to tell the truth to Alexei's parents, he could have  said, "As far as we know, it is not hereditary, but we should look into it further because new information could be available. Loren was diagnosed a long time ago." He assured them outright that it was not.  At a minimum. he was indulging himself in willful ignorance, and that just sucks when honesty is the best policy.

And what a shitty spokesperson for Tourette's is Loren? All she does is whine about it all the time and use it as a crutch. That foundation and its members deserve a spokesperson is a strong advocate who is out to show that the condition does not need to define you.

• Love 21

It looks like Pedro doesn't have a father, and hasn't had for a few years at least (no father in the graduation photo). Maybe he feels he has to assume the "male provider" role in the family.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Lesia said:

I thought she was saying "...punto." as in period end of sentence.  or maybe not.  Still, she does not have the intelligence to spar with a more creative vocabulary.

Neither did the bitch who called her a puta, so there's that.

I know we're heavily invested in railing against the "ugly Americans" stereotype, but let's call a spade a spade. Pedro's family is no prize. If they're mad about a prenup, fuck them double. Everyone should have one. People with less income have more to lose in terms of standard of living in the event of a divorce.

• Love 8

Both familyPedro and familyChantal are horrible. BUT, the two who caused this whole thing to explode are Pedro and Chantal. They should have had a long conversation about supporting his parents before they got married, not after they arrived in DR for wedding #2. And it's up to Pedro and Chantal to control their families. Instead of pitching hissy fit, Chantal should have not engaged about Pedro sending his mom money and simply told him that they will discuss it when they get home. And she should have insisted that her parents get out of the damn van and act like adults and not discuss Chantal's finances. As for Pedro, he should have realized that chicken feet was a FU and told his mom to stop. He should have insisted that they be gracious to familyChantal . They both allowed their families to clash and jumped right in with them. Bad idea! But if they acted like normal people we wouldn't have this shitshow to watch. 

• Love 19
On 7/30/2017 at 9:43 AM, CofCinci said:
On 7/30/2017 at 4:24 AM, NotEatingKale said:

man oh man, do I want that theory of Pedro and Sister Pedro to be true...

We all do. We all do. 

I am standing behind you both in line.

• Love 1

Really, no one needs flat irons and flat screens, but why shouldn't people in a developing nation have some luxuries? I don't think Pedro should be the one providing them, unless he's buying something (with Chantel's knowledge) as a gift for a birthday or holiday on the odd occasion.

It's really not about what Pedro's family needs or doesn't need, or what poor people should be entitled to. Its about Pedro and Chantel being on the same page in regards to what help they will be offering family. They should have had a mature discussion about this before they got married. But neither of them is mature (although Chantel seems worse in the maturity department than Pedro), so instead they're focusing on bachelorette parties and calling each other "Baby", and not on working as a team. The marriage is doomed. Chantel wants Pedro to be a completely different person who speaks in a sexy Dominican accent, and Pedro refuses to make Chantel his first priority before his Mommy getting a television.

And Chantel's family is horrid for refusing to get out of the car, and horrid for not holding their daughter accountable for the mess she is 50% responsible for.

• Love 10
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

Frankly, I find both families spoiled, self centered and obsessed with being respected. It's why they can't get along. They are too similar. Given that Chantel's family holds all the cards: greater economic power, daughter living close to home, Pedro alone in their country and on their turf, etc, you would think they could afford to be a little more gracious. You certainly are not going to win friends and influence people when your approach is that your husband and his family are filthy con artists using your daughter for her money. How do you expect a family to feel when their son is a stranger in a strange land and being treated like that? How does Pedro find a middle ground with a father and brother in law who have no respect for him whatsoever? According to dad and brother, Chantel had a better standard of living BEFORE Pedro. Chanel and family want Pedro to bow and scrape and turn over all his money to raise up their daughter and be eternally grateful that he gets to do it. Both families are crap, but I think Pedro's family has been fighting back with whatever they can. Chantel's family is doubly crap for lording their economic power and entitlement over Pedro's family. Run, Pedro, Run.

This. Chantel's family are all saying what Chantel is saying. "I want a big sparkly diamond ring and a new car! I want a big apartment!" Her father has the nerve to tell a guy that his mother and sister are grasping greedy wenches while his daughter is a sweet blameless angel. Why is it horrible for Pedro's family to want things, but wonderful for Chantel to want them? Most of what Pedro brought with him was pretty utilitarian--mouthwash, vitamins, toiletries. A flatiron isn't expensive. I don't blame him for wanting to splash out a bit and get his family some luxuries. Geez. Chantel's mother resented every single thing and I bet she can tell you to the penny what everything cost. And to my dying day I will never understand why they think it is perfectly ok for them to insult Pedro's family to his face. What can possibly be accomplished by that? That is not how you reach common ground. River sitting there and yelping "you need to respect us! we are disrespected!" Honey, its a two way street.  Chantel's father told him to his face that he thinks Pedro is using Chantel for a green card! Seriously, they all seem to think that Pedro should be forever kissing the hems of their garments for allowing him to marry their skanky, babyish whiny Chantel, the Unsullied Gem of Atlanta. Pedro should run, as far and as fast as possible. He has said countless times that he loves Chantel, but Chantel never says she loves him. She loves having a hot husband. She loves having a sparkly diamond. She loves all the attention of her endless weddings/bachelorette parties/bitch sessions with her creepy, over involved parents. But she does not love her husband. She should let him go and find a more easily browbeaten specimen.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 16

My adult daughter and her boyfriend pay their way--they take care of their baby, pay their own rent, insurance, etc., BUT if my daughter lived in a place that I felt was substandard, then I'd pay for her means to get out of it. Papa Chantel and son seem to feel very strongly about the bedroom/kitchen. So, if it's that deplorable, then I'd find them what I feel is a suitable place, find out if they can afford the monthly rent, and then help them with  deposits, etc.  OR they could move in with me until they get on their feet. 

Also, Chantel and Pedro need to compromise. This family obligation is one that seems to be ingrained in him, but is not common in American culture. They need to come up with a $ number they can both live with and move on. Someone should also get Mama Pedro up to speed on Chantal's expectations and what is her cultural norm. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:
  6 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Perhaps if she wasn't high maintaince they can afford to live there. 

Russ to Pao: "I'm sorry, mi amor, but you're going to have to start doing your roots yourself." 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

It's really not about what Pedro's family needs or doesn't need, or what poor people should be entitled to. Its about Pedro and Chantel being on the same page in regards to what help they will be offering family. They should have had a mature discussion about this before they got married. But neither of them is mature (although Chantel seems worse in the maturity department than Pedro), so instead they're focusing on bachelorette parties and calling each other "Baby", and not on working as a team. The marriage is doomed. Chantel wants Pedro to be a completely different person who speaks in a sexy Dominican accent, and Pedro refuses to make Chantel his first priority before his Mommy getting a television.

And Chantel's family is horrid for refusing to get out of the car, and horrid for not holding their daughter accountable for the mess she is 50% responsible for.

Right, but what galls me is that Chatel's dad and brother are not preaching "the two of you need to sit down and come to an agreement about how much money to send your mom and sister." They are not preaching, "we understand that your want to take care of your mom and sister as much as we want you to be sure your do right by our own daughter and sister." They are just straight up calling Pedro a con man using Chantel for her millions and complaining that their  "Unsullied Gem of Atlanta" (Thanks Pepper Mostly. You win the Internet, today. :-) deserves to have EVERYTHING Pedro has. Chantel and family are not trying to find a middle ground. They want Pedro to get with the program and do what they want. Accusing someone of fraud and financial abuse is no way to build bridges and form strong bonds. It's a flat out declaration of war. Frankly, I would be an asshole, too if someone talked to me like that or accused my son of behaving in such a way.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

With her even once is over the top.   ...   Mo is not attracted to Daniel, to put it mildly. Totally repulsed would be more accurate.   ...   But as a mother, anytime I see a woman put some piece of man meat before her children, it sickens me. She's lower than dirt now. 

...and she was pretty dirty before.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

Depends on the area of the country in which you live and your family. It's actually pretty common in the South to always use that when talking about your father, including once he's dead.

Yes - I see that now that a couple of people have pointed it out. I'm way north of Georgia, so it sounded bizarre. 

5 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Most of what Pedro brought with him was pretty utilitarian--mouthwash, vitamins, toiletries. A flatiron isn't expensive. I don't blame him for wanting to splash out a bit and get his family some luxuries.

It's also way more inexpensive to have someone buy those things stateside than to have them shipped. This past summer, I taught a group of high school students on  a weeklong  trip from the Bahamas. One of the things they wanted to do was to go to Target and the mall and buy clothes and things that either cost a ton or are simply unavailable in the Bahamas. And these weren't poor kids, most were children of expats and were well off. But there is no Target and no mall, so being able to shop in person and not pay $$ for shipping was a huge deal for them. So it may be as much a matter of price and availability as wanting someone to buy crap for you.  

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

It's really not about what Pedro's family needs or doesn't need, or what poor people should be entitled to. Its about Pedro and Chantel being on the same page in regards to what help they will be offering family

I don't disagree, but I was responding to a post that suggested that people in third world countries don't need these items. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

I really find it the height of American hubris and arrogance to pronounce that people in the third world don't need flat irons or large screen tvs. I mean, who are we to decide what other people deserve? Are they somehow  so much lower that they are forbidden form having their own wants and desires?

Not sure that is America hubris as much as it is practicality.   I 100% understand helping family members who are struggling.  When my dad was a young, single military man he sent money home every month to his parents - a coal miner and a housewife.  It certainly was never enough for luxury items (of the day) but would have gone for actual living expenses.  Who would begrudge that?  Nobody.   He did stop when he got married as he then had a spouse to support...and his parents expected that.  My family isn't of Caribbean or Hispanic heritage so I realize cultures vary, and it does seem Pedro is "the man of the house," but when you have the responsibility of a spouse (and possibly children), then making sure mom and family have essentials is okay.  Making sure they have luxuries is acceptable only when there is plenty of money in the first place.  

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Russ to Pao: "I'm sorry, mi amor, but you're going to have to start doing your roots yourself." 

My god, I'm so wound up about Pedro and Chantel I forgot all about Russ and Pao. I am flabbergasted by her awfulness. She's so selfish. She doesn't care about Russ's feelings one iota, she apparently thinks its enough for him that he has a hot sexy wife. Those photos were embarrassing. Plumbing company calendar stuff. She's living in a fool's paradise if she thinks her "career" is going to blossom.

• Love 12
42 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

As for Loren's dad and all is bs about no support and no help.. yadda yadda yadda. If he had wanted to tell the truth to Alexei's parents, he could have  said, "As far as we know, it is not hereditary, but we should look into it further because new information could be available. Loren was diagnosed a long time ago." He assured them outright that it was not.  At a minimum. he was indulging himself in willful ignorance, and that just sucks when honesty is the best policy.

I see it differently.  If the family TRULY believed it was not heritary, they were probably relieved and felt no need to pursue the matter.  I believe my Salk polio vaccine from the 50s worked,  so I've never researched it to see if I'm right.  His honest assurance was what he knew...as far as his knowledge went.  "Willful ignorance" isn't always the case.  It IS ignorance, but of an innocent variety...in my opinion.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

What is Chantal studying at school? Do they think she's going to land some great job as soon as she graduates. I know some of friends have kids that have graduated recently and have found jobs in the $45,000 per yr starting range. I also know some friends that have kids that had to move back home after graduation because they can't find jobs. All depends on the area of the country you live in and what your major is.  Pedro shouldn't bank on the idea that as soon as Chantal graduates, she will have a great job immediately. They need a plan B, and until then he should be sending the bare minimum to his family. Big screenTV's, dresses, cosmetics, hair accessories, new cars, gaudy wedding rings (on credit, no less!), $2500 gaming systems, NO NO! 

There. That's better.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I see it differently.  If the family TRULY believed it was not heritary, they were probably relieved and felt no need to pursue the matter.  I believe my Salk polio vaccine from the 50s worked,  so I've never researched it to see if I'm right.  His honest assurance was what he knew...as far as his knowledge went.  "Willful ignorance" isn't always the case.  It IS ignorance, but of an innocent variety...in my opinion.  

OK, yeah....I could understand this.   Still, it IS unbelievably uncurious to not have looked into it in years.  

Edited by Granny58

Poor Pedro! Chantel told him she wanted him to have a talk with her father. He dreaded doing it, but manned up and went to the restaurant only to find Mr. Thomas AND Lazy River lying in wait, ready to gang up on him! That was just as unfair as the one sided basketball game! Why the hell does Little Brother's opinion matter? It's not like he was there as the interpreter. 

Talk about interfering siblings, that Nicole is a nasty piece of work and I think she has a slack-jawed look. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

It's also way more inexpensive to have someone buy those things stateside than to have them shipped.

Oh, yeah!   I wonder how much shipping that TV is going to cost...via FedEx (as stated on the show).

• Love 1
Just now, Former Nun said:

Oh, yeah!   I wonder how much shipping that TV is going to cost...via FedEx (as stated on the show).

Probably more than the TV cost in the first place.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Her father has the nerve to tell a guy that his mother and sister are grasping greedy wenches

Aren't they?      Grasping, greedy UNEMPLOYED wenches...but I agree, it's probably not the father's place to say it.  That's why WE are here!

• Love 8
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Right, but people knew in the 50s that the Salk vaccine worked. My mom was kid back then and her friends immediately stopped dropping like flies. Everyone saw the benefit of the vaccine first hand..no mystery. Loren's dad's claim is that there was no support back then, no information. Doctor's didn't know anything. It was all a mystery and they were alone in navigating in an unsure world. If that is the case, wouldn't you want to use the Internet to keep abreast of new research and updates?  I mean, no on is really worried about small pox, either. That is over and done with. But, our understanding of autism is constantly being refined and updated as new information becomes available. That's cool that your mileage varies, but I think it is willful ignorance when her parents don't want to Google the syndrome to see if there is any new info available. I mean, really, now many of us here goggled Tourette's after the show to find out more about it? If a bunch of strangers on a message board have more interest in Loren's condition than her own paretns, than that is just ignorant on their part. At least if it's willful, they have some agency in the matter.

Edited by Chickabiddy
I'm a terrible typist.
  • Love 4
(edited)
41 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Hahahaha, I noticed those hideous orange roots! Pao is definitely going the do it yourself, box of color at Walgreens route. Every frame we see of her, the hair looks 10 different awful shades of greenish, grayish orangeish blonde. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Former Nun said:

Aren't they?      Grasping, greedy UNEMPLOYED wenches...but I agree, it's probably not the father's place to say it.  That's why WE are here!

They are grasping greedy wenches....just like Chantel's family. That's the issue. Her family is just as grasping and greedy as Pedro's. That's the irony and the agony of watching this shit show unfold before our very eyes.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Chickabiddy said:

Right, but people knew in the 50s that the Salk vaccine worked. My mom was kid back then and her friends immediately stopped dropping like flies. Everyone saw the benefit of the vaccine first hand..no mystery. Loren's dad's claim is that there was no support back then, no information. Doctor's didn't know anything. It was all a mystery and they were alone in navigating in an unsure world. If that is the case, wouldn't you want to use the Internet to keep abreast of new research and updates?  I mean, no on is really worried about small pox, either. That is over and done with. But, our understanding of autism is constantly being refined and updated as new information becomes available. That's cool that your mileage varies, but I think it is willful ignorance when her parents don't want to Google the syndrome to see if there is any new info available. I mean, really, now many of us here goggled Tourette's after the show to find out more about it? If a bunch of strangers on a message board have more interest in Loren's condition, than that is just ignorant on their part. At least if it's willful, they have some agency in the matter.

And I assume that Loren has been under the care of doctors her whole life. Maybe her parents didn't know but I have a hard time believing that NONE of her doctors, from her primary, to her gynecologist, to any specialists would not have even mentioned it as she got older and closer to childbearing age. 

• Love 5