Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E04: Auditions 4

• Start Topic

light dance was spectacular.  tom london is handsome. its like hes otherwordly. 

the rest of their lives those girls have to say im celine for celine dion and this is my sister dion.

those naked frying pan guys are sick. theres kids in the audience. if nick still hosted the show he might have came out naked with the frying pan.

• Love 3

I miss Nick and I didn't think he was all that good.  It is more about what production required of him though.  I liked him outside this job.

Tyra is bad.   I do not like her here or there, I do not like her anywhere.  I do not like her in a house, I do not like her with a mouse.  And she is fat.  LMAO!  I just had to say that.  I entertain myself during this show because I can and this show has trouble with that.   

Loved Celina, what a cutie. Sister is Dion.  Hysterical.  

The frying pan guys were stupid but the cast covering their eyes was more so.  They were wearing cod pieces and if they weren't, has no one seen a penis before?  Half of you have them and the rest entertain them.  How childish.  

Wow to the magic guy with numbers.  It appeared that Tyra was using her own phone.  If it was his,  he had it programed to come up with that number.  He couldn't get away with that on a regular basis though but it is a technology trick so maybe.  Off to google how that could happen.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I haven't watched the whole thing yet.  I found the choir boring, but I'm not a fan of choirs in general. 

The keyboard player got three yeses?   How?  He was funny, but he had a soundtrack! I had the impression he wasn't even expecting to get through.

I liked the light show guys, even though they don't belong on AMERICA's got talent.

Tyra, at one point was basically wearing black lace pantyhose and a lace  jacket.  Looked like she forgot her pants.   And I do want her to shut up about "ALL THAT HARD WORK!" enough already.

the older guy singing "Young enough"  - he likes to sing.  he should find a karaoke bar.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2
(edited)

Really?? Bello Nock the clown?? He's the famous Ringling bros clown!!!  He's out of a job so he goes and "tries out" out for this amateur competition show?? Wth?? 

Edited to add: Ok, went and did research. He was with Ringling Bros. In the early 2000's which is when my i took my son. Thats why i remember him. The circus even named their entire tour one year after him: Bellonation!!!!! He was The star of the show!! Since then, he's been rather busy doing stunts, featured on morning shows. Why is he competing on THIS show????

Edited by krawz555
  • Love 6

when i saw bello knox i was thinking hes looking for a job because ringling bros closed down. And 7 generations of performers definetly sounds like a circus family. 

i don't get how simon could give him an x.the guy hung from the box with his shoes.

that guy with the younger wife had a big ego. She married him when she was 23. She must be counting the days till she gets the inheritance.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was really impressed with the young Australian guy who went next to last.  During the montage before they showed him singing, I just KNEW it was a John Legend track.  The girl that appeared last had a valid sob story, but her singing just wasn't worthy of going through, IMO.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 5

Since that girl went last, I was afraid she was going to get a golden buzzer (there's at least one still available, right?).  She probably won't last long.

When the lawyer was talking about being a star, being in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, etc., I knew he would be terrible.  I'd hate to be watching and realize that my attorney lived in such a fantasy world.

• Love 5

I recognized Bello the Clown right away, he appears on a local tv chat shows every year when Ringling comes to town. Poor Bello is out of a job now. I did note he is from Sarasota, the same place as the Poodle Dog act a few weeks ago, another Ringling act out of a job. Bello climbing up the pole did make me LOL, and I found him highly entertaining. Although WTH with the camera work when he was hanging upside down? I couldn't tell what was going on, the camera would do close ups of his feet, then a LLLLLLLoooooooong distance shot from the back of the theatre. I don't have a clue what he was doing. But Simon, don't take your clown phobia out on Bello. And why ask him how old he is? How old are YOU, Simon? Geesh. The singing girl with the cancer dad ... no one DARE tell her no after her sob story and bawling tears before her performance. But she was NOT good, so I hope she gets a big fat "See Ya" after we have to suffer through her next performance. And the frying pan guys ... I can't even comment. Although their act was no more lewd than Tyra's look-I'm -not-wearing-pant outfit. And yeah, she does have a fat rear. I can say that since I'm not on tv wearing no pants. And as for professional (Ringling) acts being on, nowhere does it say this is America's Got AMATEUR Talent. If you guys want to watch American-only amateurs, there's a bunch of local county fairs coming up.

• Love 1

I liked Bello, I liked the young man who went next to last. The young girl who went last was pretty, she seemed sweet, she loves her dad, she needs a few years singing around fairs and wherever she can find, she needs a vocal coach, then she can try again. I'm glad her dad got to see her on a big stage, but that's enough. I hated the lawyer, he was too impressed that he had a hot young wife, I was not, and he can't sing.

• Love 1

Little Celine was the star of this show.  Wow, sing a Celine Dion song and make it close.  What a voice for such a little child.

Liked the Australian singer and the girl singer whose dad had cancer.   She wasn't as good as the other two, but her performance was certainly good enough to get through.

Light dance was fun.  

The pumpkin man left me feeling a little hollow.   He shouldn't have went through, but I'm not really concerned when someone gets through on this show that shouldn't.  You know they won't last long in future shows.

So, keyboard guy started work Monday or Tuesday at the factory my mom has worked at for like 35 years. She's a supervisor, but not his. She asks me basically every time I see her if I watched the last episode, even though I continue to tell her no, I don't watch. So, needless to say, she was quite excited to call me yesterday on her lunch break while I too was at work to tell me to make sure I watched so I could see him. She thinks he's really good. I'm giving the side eye to that one. I did DVR it last night and watched his bit and then deleted the rest. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh, to have been in on the production meeting when they were deciding who got to ride shotgun in Simon's Rolls Royce.  You just know the deciding factor was that Tyra's ample behind forced the issue - she wouldn't fit with two others in the back seat!

I loved the 80s glam rocker.  No way would I vote him into the Finals, but I was happy to have had that callback performance on my TV.  

There are dozens of choirs which would be as good, or better, than the one we saw.  That's a commodity in the USA - not special/unique.  

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
(edited)
14 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I was really impressed with the young Australian guy who went next to last.  During the montage before they showed him singing, I just KNEW it was a John Legend track.  The girl that appeared last had a valid sob story, but her singing just wasn't worthy of going through, IMO.

I love "God Only Knows" (Beach Boys) and while they were playing it over the montage I was thinking, wow, that's a beautiful version, wonder who it is. I was assuming it was some well-known singer, then was shocked to see it was actually a contestant. The arrangement, the voice, the piano, were all great. I wish we could've seen him start to finish.

The young girl who came afterwards seemed so amateurish by comparison. Yes, I know, she's young, and I get that she was doing it for her father, but her voice needs a lot of development. She kind of sounded like Grace VandeWaal 2.0. Not a good thing in my book. How are they going to choose between all the female singers with the sob stories. Dying father, kidney transplant, hearing loss etc. Not to sound cruel, but watching this show does make you cynical.

The little girl singing Celine Dion sounded just like that, a little girl singing Celine Dion. The song was way too big for her voice. I guess than any cute little girl who sings has to be really awful not to get four yesses. Two girls named Celine and Dion? Creepy, stalker level of star worship. I wonder if the father ever had a restraining order on him from the real Celine Dion.

Surprised to hear that Bello Knock is such a famous clown, because I was underwhelmed by him. If he's a big circus star it's pretty embarrassing that he had to beg to get a third yes.

Guy who did DeNiro was not funny, but I give him credit for never breaking character, even while the judges were trashing him. Good for him, hanging tough and not begging for another chance, like so many acts do.

16 hours ago, lor said:

that guy with the younger wife had a big ego. She married him when she was 23. She must be counting the days till she gets the inheritance.

Allegedly he's 55 and she's 30,  but to me she looked more like 40. Attractive woman, yes, but no way she was 30. Maybe he exaggerated the age difference to build himself up even more. "Did he really say he was going to end up in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame? Based on statements like that, I have to believe this was a goof. This show does attract some deluded people, but the dude was seriously tone deaf. How could he not know that?

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Nowhere does it say this is America's Got AMATEUR Talent. If you guys want to watch American-only amateurs, there's a bunch of local county fairs coming up.

In fact, several past winners and finalists have been experienced professional performers with international reputations. The show doesn't mention that because they want to create the illusion that they're finding great undiscovered talent. The whole "dreams can come true" thing.

They've also been known to, shall we say, stretch the truth, to make the audience thing that a pro performer is really an amateur. One that comes to mind is a country singer who'd done a couple of big label records in Nashville, but was presented as a guy who just sang on his front porch until his wife pushed him into going on AGT.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1
(edited)
43 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

One that comes to mind is a country singer who'd done a couple of big label records in Nashville, but was presented as a guy who just sang on his front porch until his wife pushed him into going on AGT.

Edited 31 minutes ago by bluepiano.

That's Simon's thing.  He started doing that way back on Idol with Carrie Underwood - a Lil ole country gal who, before Simon discovered her, had only  sung to the animals on her granpappy's farm.  Except, of course, when she was opening for big name country acts in Nashville and Branson.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, bluepiano said:

In fact, several past winners and finalists have been experienced professional performers with international reputations.

I know I saw the Professional Regurgitator on various shows for years. Also Wendy Liebman was on Carson, Letterman and a lot of other tv shows. Many of the contestants were at least on other tv competitions. 

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:40 AM, backformore said:

I liked the light show guys, even though they don't belong on AMERICA's got talent.

Why would they not belong on AGT? It couldn't be because they are foreigners could it? The show is called "Got Talent" Since this version of the show is in America, thus the name. You have BGT, which stands for Britain's Got Talent. I know there is Australia's Got Talent, and so on.

I really wonder why the judges are suppose to say they've never, ever seen an act like (XYZ) before. I know TPTB are making them say that, but do they think viewers only watch AGT? Example: The Korean dance crew. No one watches the show that COMES ON AFTER AGT, World of Dance, that's almost all dance crews? Many other shows have featured dance crews. I'm not in the entertainment field, yet I've seen countless dance crews perform ... on tv! They say the same about about dog acts, which have been in existence since circuses were invented. And what's with Simon loving every singer ... except the singing lawyer, of course. And after posting here about Tyra being fat, I remembered her big deal 10 years ago when she came out in a bikini on Oprah's show after she was called fat. It was a huge deal at the time, and she told everyone to "Kiss my fat ass."

I guess we could get technical about the name of this show, and since the talent is in America and performing on an American stage, it is indeed America's Got Talent. To keep foreign-born performers out ... well, I have some ideas but they border on Trumpian.

Fostersmom, that's crazy that Keyboard Guy works with your mom. I need to know if his hair is real. I kept looking at it wondering if it was a wig. I also questioned whether he was really playing that keyboard since he was faking the singing. He was a pretty cool goof to watch, however.

2 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Why would they not belong on AGT? It couldn't be because they are foreigners could it? The show is called "Got Talent" Since this version of the show is in America, thus the name. You have BGT, which stands for Britain's Got Talent. I know there is Australia's Got Talent, and so on.

I find it very amusing that on "America's Got Talent" there are no American born judges.

• Love 4
(edited)

Tyra Banks looked awful in that see through outfit. Hopefully she'll be gone before the live shows.

This show is getting worse and worse every week but I haven't stopped watching because I'm hoping it does get better. Besides, this is one of the shows my wife and I enjoy together.

Ok, on to some of the performances:

. Bello the Clown - My wife noticed him right away. I only remembered after he went up the pole. At the circus he did more with the pole bending extremely from side to side.

. The Choir - While this choir was good, I've seen this before. There is a reason I say that a choir will never win this type of show. No body wants to pay to go see a choir sing, when you can probably go to your local church and hear a good choir sing for free..lol! I think this choir wants to get some exposure and that they will.

. Celine - What I liked about this young singer is the fact that she sounded like a little girl singing. She doesn't have the mature voice of the other little girl contestant but she did sing very well. She didn't try to sound "grown up". Good job!

. Robert DeNiro impersonator - He should've stuck with the DeNiro act.

. The young girl with a dad w/cancer - I pray that her father recovers but she didn't have a good voice at all. Young girl + sob story = automatically through!

. Young boy playing keyboard - Good voice. Too bad we didn't hear more.

. Magician - Great performance! Best of the night.

. The Golden Buzzer dance group in my opinion didn't deserve to get the golden buzzer. We've all seen this type of dancing before. We've all heard this type of music before. The judges acted like this was the first. Ugh!!!

Final thoughts:  I've always felt that there should be categories in AGT. There are to much diversity on this show. I know the show's producers want us to make decisions on voting for the winner. I also know that this show is for us, the viewer. But, can you imagine a show in Las Vegas which had the winners of each category on AGT performing? I would pay to see that. Your favorite male singer, female singer, dance group, magician, bizarre acts like (knife throwing, high wire type acts, etc.) and kids act all in one venue performing. Hey AGT, make this happen!!

I'm loosing my patience but,........

Until next time......

Edited by rr2911
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, rr2911 said:

The show is called "AMERICA'S Got Talent"   AGT - as in America, or Americans -  HAVE talent.  And many other countries have their own versions of "Got Talent".  We've had past seasons where an act competes in several countries' versions of the same show (the regurgitator was the one I remember).    It seems like there are no rules as to which country's "got talent" anyone can compete in. So the same act can compete, over and over again.  And the judges can recruit the runner-ups from one country to compete in another country, (again, the regurgitator was thought to have been invited)

It seems like you should LIVE in the country that you're competing in, in order to represent that the country has talent.  The only comparison I can make is beauty pageants (though I hate them)   if  doesn't win Miss USA , they can't then go and compete in other countries, it takes away from the idea that the winner represents that country.

This isn't political, it's not about immigration or ethnicity - just that if the show is open to all citizens of all countries, maybe the name should be changed.

• Love 3

The little girl sobbing came off as very contrived.  That was my personal feeling anyway. It seemed fake.  They could fit more acts in on TV if they waited until the finals to start sharing these personal stories.  I don't like mediocre acts advancing because America gets all emotional about someone's personal tragedy. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Fostersmom, that's crazy that Keyboard Guy works with your mom. I need to know if his hair is real. I kept looking at it wondering if it was a wig. I also questioned whether he was really playing that keyboard since he was faking the singing. He was a pretty cool goof to watch, however.

She was telling us it's real. He does have to tie it back, it's a factory so it could get caught in something and he could end up scalped or something. Honestly, when I saw his segment, I sent her a text saying he's going to end up hurt at work and I'm calling July 4th and he's already on his last leg or gone from working there. I just hope he doesn't smash a hand or chop off a finger. It's a full 180 from the job he descrbed of pushing and holding a button for 10 minutes. His quota could be 400 pieces a day, not 6 an hour. Plus, it's about 90% women who work there and once the novelty of him wears off, I can see him annoying the ever loving hell out of them all and those women can be vicious. She told me how far he gets, but I'm not sure he's supposed to tell people so I wouldn't want him to potentially get sued or something if I was to post it. 

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, backformore said:

It seems like you should LIVE in the country that you're competing in, in order to represent that the country has talent.  The only comparison I can make is beauty pageants (though I hate them)   if  doesn't win Miss USA , they can't then go and compete in other countries, it takes away from the idea that the winner represents that country.

This isn't political, it's not about immigration or ethnicity - just that if the show is open to all citizens of all countries, maybe the name should be changed.

I see your point, but the reality is that over the years many of the most original and entertaining acts on this show have been from other countries. I think that's because many European countries have a very long history of variety and circus type acts. Also, we like to think of America as The Land of Opportunity, and for many of these people, no doubt making it in America has always been a dream. The prize is a Las Vegas showcase, and Las Vegas is know all over the world.

I remember when I was a kid watching Ed Sullivan, it always seem that the plate spinners and people who juggled while riding unicycles were from Europe. But it's not just acrobats. Tape Face, one of my favorite contestants last year, was from New Zealand spent most of his time in the UK. And my all-time favorite AGT contestant, Kenichi Ebene, was Japanese.

And on the subject of acts that are not really "unknowns," after Kenichi was on AGT I went to YouTube and found videos of him performing all over the world.

I also just saw a video of Darcy, the young ventriloquist, on the UK version of "Little Big Shots." It probably shouldn't matter, but for me it somehow lessens the "isn't she cute" factor to find out that she's got stage parents who are flying it overseas to do TV competition shows. Would not be surprised if she does the whole international "Got Talent" circuit, as several of these contestants do. (I believe I read that The Professional Regurgitater" won or was a finalist on "Romania's Got Talent.")

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

Sarasota, Florida has been the winter home of Ringling Brothers for decades. Many circus performers choose to retire or live full time there even after leaving, i.e. the famous Wallenda clan. It's probably the highest concentration of circus folks in the entire world. Also home of the Ringing Museum, a world class art museum and yes, the official circus museum. Free admission on Mondays if you happen to be in the area :). All of which is to say, if anyone on a reality show says they're from Sarasota just assume they are an experienced circus act.

I'm sure there are many American acts who audition for foreign Got Talents too.

• Love 2

Last act is a young girl, with a sick dad and she sings to him to help him feel better and she is on last and she gets a standing ovation and she does not get the golden buzzer?  I was shocked.  Originally, I figured that there wouldn't be a golden buzzer act this episode because there is still one episode left, but when she came on I thought that may I had miscounted and there have only been two so far.  

Now, the only thing left that would surprise me is if Tyra wore pants or a skirt. If I saw someone dressed like her in real life I would assume they rushed out of the house that morning and I would offer them something to tie around their waste until they could find proper clothing. I can understand wearing one of those outfits for one episode, but it is every week. 

Like the audience and the judges, I thought DeNiro guy was pretty entertaining until he actually started his act.  I don't know if he thought his other impressions were good or if he wanted us to think that DeNiro wouldn't do good impressions of his "friends." I wish he would have skipped the other impressions and went straight to whatever he was going to do when the stopped his act.  I know a lot of performers are bad at ad libbing,  but he might be the only one better at ad libbing than doing the stuff he rehearsed.   

• Love 1

The little girl singing Celine Dion sounded just like that, a little girl singing Celine Dion. The song was way too big for her voice. I guess than any cute little girl who sings has to be really awful not to get four yesses.

This. I thought I was the only one not really impressed with Celine. Then again, I am not a fan of many kid acts in general. I really wish they would say no to some of these precocious children.

I liked the Australian guy, but the acts I usually like do not get far. I would have liked to see his whole audition.

The last girl with the sick dad was just meh. I did think they were going give her the golden buzzer because of her story. 

I do miss Nick, but I do not mind Tyra. I am not a Tyra fan either, but think she is fine. I have seen way worse hosts on these type of shows.

• Love 2

The young singers on this show:

• Child who used to be blind
  • Girl who is deaf
  • Kidney transplant girl
  • Girl who sings to father with cancer
  • Girl who survived plane crash

I guess someone who just SINGS has no chance on this show.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, needschocolate said:

Now, the only thing left that would surprise me is if Tyra wore pants or a skirt. If I saw someone dressed like her in real life I would assume they rushed out of the house that morning and I would offer them something to tie around their waste until they could find proper clothing. I can understand wearing one of those outfits for one episode, but it is every week. 

Tyra's clothing and hairstyles, as well as Mel B's and Heidi's, are a dead tip off of the truly bad editing and manipulation of this show. Tyra isn't wearing that outfit every week, she probably wore it for one audition period and they have cut and pasted different audition days together to make one show. Mel B wore a similar see through outfit and it has popped up in just about every show. I mean they don't even try to hide this type of discontinuity so I don't understand why they do the elaborate scenes of the judges entering the audience as though it's a brand new day and we are about to see auditions from that day only. I understand why they do it; they need enough variety to fill two hours and Incan imagine there are some audition days that there may not be two hours of things worth viewing. I just wish they would do like they do on a The Voice and have the judges wear the same clothing/wigs throughout the auditions so that the cut and paste of episodes is not so jarring. 

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, backformore said:

• Girl who is deaf
  • Kidney transplant girl

Yep.  I'm guessing that's why we're all calling that one kid, "the Australian guy who sounded good, but we didn't get to see his whole audition".  Geeze, we don't even know his name, and he sounded like he's maybe one of the best of the kid singers they've put through.  He must either have no sob story, or else there must be stuff about him on google or youtube they don't want us to find. 

Edited to add: okay, after a little googling, he is singer-songwriter Darcy Callus and he's 26-years-old.  I sure thought he was a teenager.  After listening to the songs on his youtube channel, I'm bored with him already.  Every song (whether a cover or an original) sounds almost exactly the same.  All of them are slow-tempo ballads, and after 2 or 3 of them, it feels like I'm at a funeral service.

Edited by SnarkyTart
new info
21 hours ago, backformore said:

• Girl who is deaf
  • Kidney transplant girl

Unless she is named after her father's favorite singer.  

I am guessing that there are a lot of kid singers that audition and don't make it, but they don't show us those (tough on the kid and makes the judges look heartless).  But, if you're a kid who sings okay and has a heart-wrenching story....  

20 hours ago, Juneau Gal said:

Tyra's clothing and hairstyles, as well as Mel B's and Heidi's, are a dead tip off of the truly bad editing and manipulation of this show. Tyra isn't wearing that outfit every week, she probably wore it for one audition period and they have cut and pasted different audition days together to make one show. Mel B wore a similar see through outfit and it has popped up in just about every show. I mean they don't even try to hide this type of discontinuity so I don't understand why they do the elaborate scenes of the judges entering the audience as though it's a brand new day and we are about to see auditions from that day only. I understand why they do it; they need enough variety to fill two hours and Incan imagine there are some audition days that there may not be two hours of things worth viewing. I just wish they would do like they do on a The Voice and have the judges wear the same clothing/wigs throughout the auditions so that the cut and paste of episodes is not so jarring. 

I have noticed the different outfits on the judges.  They don't even bother to put all of one day's auditions together (so, for example, Mel would wear pants for the first half of the episode and a see-through dress for the second half).  If they are going to mix up the auditions, then they should do what Shark Tank does and have them wear the same cloths at each audition.  

I think Tyra has worn more than one "no pants" outfit - I don't remember her wearing anything but "no pants" outfits.  However, I don't pay much attention to her, so I could be wrong. Years of rolling my eyes at her on America's Next Top Model have jaded me.  She probably doesn't do anything differently than Nick, but with Nick I saw a friendly guy reacting on camera, and, with Tyra, I see a woman mugging for the camera and trying to focus the attention on herself.  

On 6/23/2017 at 6:54 AM, Misslindsey said:

This. I thought I was the only one not really impressed with Celine. Then again, I am not a fan of many kid acts in general. I really wish they would say no to some of these precocious children.

I thought it was just because I can't carry a tune, but I wasn't impressed with her either.  However, unlike most of the kid singers, I thought she sounded better when she sang louder. When she started out, I was wondering how the judges were going to tell this cute little girl that she wasn't good enough.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, needschocolate said:

She probably doesn't do anything differently than Nick, but with Nick I saw a friendly guy reacting on camera, and, with Tyra, I see a woman mugging for the camera and trying to focus the attention on herself

Exactly!  Thanks for putting it into words.  I couldn't figure out why I wasn't liking Tyra in the role, when she is doing pretty much what Nick did.  But that nails it - Nick was being himself,  goofy and genuine.  Tyra is ACTING  - she's trying to copy Nick.   

The little Celine singer -  something's creepy about parents who name their kids Celine and Dion and then "discover"  that the kid can sing like Celine.  She probably heard that song a million times before she was 4 years old, so she learned to imitate it. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, backformore said:

The little Celine singer -  something's creepy about parents who name their kids Celine and Dion and then "discover"  that the kid can sing like Celine.  She probably heard that song a million times before she was 4 years old, so she learned to imitate it. 

Yeah, I don't believe for a second that it is her dream. I can imagine she thinks it is. Maybe her parents even think it is. I don't mind kids on the show (though I am biased against singers because they have an easier time winning), but this really came off as a young girl fulfilling her parents dreams. 

I imagine Celine and Dion get teased at school for the way they were named. Hopefully not.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Meushell said:

I imagine Celine and Dion get teased at school for the way they were named. Hopefully not.

There is a good chance that their classmates have never heard of the singer.  The real Celine Dion has not had a song in the Billboard Top 100  since 2002 (titanic was 20 years ago - yikes!).  I drive a car old enough that I listen to the radio when I drive and I cannot remember the last time I heard a Celine Dion song. 

• Love 2

I'm so bored with the auditions already. I miss the days of the awful auditions. Seriously, no one has fallen off the stage in years? Where are all the goofy auditions? I'll also join the "I hate Tyra" train.

• Love 3

I too would prefer more gong show acts in the audition rounds. I mean, come on, it's the only round we get to see those types of things and I love them!

I know the light-up dancer thing has been done to death but I still find it a really cool type of act. The dancing is just one part of it, choreographing the lights to go along is an amazing skillset. It must take weeks or even months to come up with one 90-second performance.

I liked Bello the Clown a lot. He has a very sweet personality and I'm a sucker for old-school circus stuff.

On 6/22/2017 at 0:51 AM, bluepiano said:

They've also been known to, shall we say, stretch the truth, to make the audience thing that a pro performer is really an amateur. One that comes to mind is a country singer who'd done a couple of big label records in Nashville, but was presented as a guy who just sang on his front porch until his wife pushed him into going on AGT.

Marty Brown! I mostly remember him for getting cut in the quarter finals and immediately stomping off the stage like a toddler. Christ, he seemed like a nightmare of a person.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:37 PM, Commando Cody said:

The little girl sobbing came off as very contrived.  That was my personal feeling anyway. It seemed fake.  They could fit more acts in on TV if they waited until the finals to start sharing these personal stories.  I don't like mediocre acts advancing because America gets all emotional about someone's personal tragedy. 

Incoming awful thought alert: I considered for a second that she was making up her dad having stage four colon cancer. Just because I thought of the people I've known who've had stage four colon cancer and they have never looked as good as her dad did there. Unless they said he's since recovered/is in remission and I missed it.

On 6/23/2017 at 9:45 AM, needschocolate said:

Last act is a young girl, with a sick dad and she sings to him to help him feel better and she is on last and she gets a standing ovation and she does not get the golden buzzer?  I was shocked.  Originally, I figured that there wouldn't be a golden buzzer act this episode because there is still one episode left, but when she came on I thought that may I had miscounted and there have only been two so far.  

The light-up dancers got the golden buzzer. They never do more than one per episode.

• Love 1

So rocker key board guy, the one who worked with my mom and I predicted he'd already be gone by the 4th of July... he was let go last Monday. Called that one. I saw her tonight and asked. He was late once, called off once, and couldn't provide 2 forms of ID for his I-9 form. The lack of IDs was the kiss of death. I managed stores for 17 years, I'm an office manager now, you have to have the I-9 filled out on the first day in theory, although it's been floated to the next day, maybe 2, plenty of times, but over a week and no IDs in sight and you're going to be fired. 

• Love 1

Yeah, who doesn't have two forms of ID? Whenever I've filled out an I-9 I could just bring my passport (if you have a valid US passport it means you're a citizen with a social security card so it covers that) but if you don't have a passport then you've got social security card, birth certificate, driver's license, non-driver's state ID, etc. So I guess that means the persona he had in the auditions wasn't a put on? I thought he was really entertaining and kind of cute but I'm a little surprised he's actually that much of a flake in real life.

(edited)
On 7/1/2017 at 6:16 PM, helenamonster said:

I too would prefer more gong show acts in the audition rounds. I mean, come on, it's the only round we get to see those types of things and I love them!

I know the light-up dancer thing has been done to death but I still find it a really cool type of act. The dancing is just one part of it, choreographing the lights to go along is an amazing skillset. It must take weeks or even months to come up with one 90-second performance.

I liked Bello the Clown a lot. He has a very sweet personality and I'm a sucker for old-school circus stuff.

Marty Brown! I mostly remember him for getting cut in the quarter finals and immediately stomping off the stage like a toddler. Christ, he seemed like a nightmare of a person.

Incoming awful thought alert: I considered for a second that she was making up her dad having stage four colon cancer. Just because I thought of the people I've known who've had stage four colon cancer and they have never looked as good as her dad did there. Unless they said he's since recovered/is in remission and I missed it.

The light-up dancers got the golden buzzer. They never do more than one per episode.

On the "they may be faking the cancer" speculation I wanted to respond to it. As a stage 4 colon cancer patient and survivor I can tell you that not all patients look awful all the time. I'm currently in treatment and people tell me all the time that I look good for someone going through chemo. Not all patients lose their hair and on weeks your not taking chemo you actually look halfway human. I also haven't lost a tremendous amount of weight. And yes he may be in remission. So I don't for one minute think they are faking it. But on the small chance they are shame on them for using something that millions suffer from every day to try and gain an advantage on the other competitors. But like I said I don't think that's the case.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 4

a stage 4 colon cancer patient and survivor I can tell you that not all patients look awful all the time. 

Congratulations on being a cancer survivor!  I know that's a long, hard road to conquer.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, yorklee2 said:

On the "they may be faking the cancer" speculation I wanted to respond to it. As a stage 4 colon cancer patient and survivor I can tell you that not all patients look awful all the time. I'm currently in treatment and people tell me all the time that I look good for someone going through chemo. Not all patients lose their hair and on weeks your not taking chemo you actually look halfway human. I also haven't lost a tremendous amount of weight. And yes he may be in remission. So I don't for one minute think they are faking it. But on the small chance they are shame on them for using something that millions suffer from every day to try and gain an advantage on the other competitors. But like I said I don't think that's the case.

First of all, I'd like to echo the above poster and congratulate you on surviving cancer!

And I only considered the thought for a half second...that would be a pretty heinous thing to lie about and easily disproven (though didn't someone on this show have a tragic backstory that ended up being completely fake years and years ago? I wanna say it was someone who claimed be a vet but wasn't?). This show, unfortunately, has made me a little jaded and cynical towards tragedies, although only in the confines of the show. If someone in my every day life was diagnosed with cancer, I would of course be sympathetic and offer any help I could, but they likely would not be using their diagnosis to gain sympathy points on a reality show.

I feel really bad for the girl; my uncle died of colon cancer back in 2004 and left two young daughters behind. It was really awful and happened very fast; one second he was a happy and vital guy and the next we were saying our goodbyes at his deathbed. I don't really believe this family is lying and hope the father is in remission/recovery or at least on the road to good health. But whether or not he's on death's door should not affect how far his daughter goes in the competition. She's an ok singer but if she had shown up without the big sob story she probably wouldn't have gone through, or at the very least not unanimously. I'm so tired of people guilting the judges into yes votes with sob stories that have nothing to do with their talents. I know some viewers here fastfoward through the intro packages and just watch the acts themselves to get a truly objective idea of their talent, which might be the best way to watch the show.

And here's the story I was thinking of about the contestant who lied about his sob story. Unfortunately there is precedent for this kind of thing: http://ew.com/article/2012/06/08/americas-got-talent-timothy-michael-poe-war-injury/

• Love 1
On 7/3/2017 at 0:15 PM, helenamonster said:

Yeah, who doesn't have two forms of ID? Whenever I've filled out an I-9 I could just bring my passport (if you have a valid US passport it means you're a citizen with a social security card so it covers that) but if you don't have a passport then you've got social security card, birth certificate, driver's license, non-driver's state ID, etc. So I guess that means the persona he had in the auditions wasn't a put on? I thought he was really entertaining and kind of cute but I'm a little surprised he's actually that much of a flake in real life.

Yeah, a you need something from list A or one thing each from lists B and C. A passport is on list A, but most people bring their social and ID for the other 2 lists. From what my mom said, he said something about his mom looking for them. Dude, once you are out of high school, college at the latest, Mom shouldn't be in charge of your documents anymore. Kind of explains why the other company he had worked for and talked about, wouldn't let him come back after he was eliminated.

My mom described him as "goofy" which isn't exactly the kind of worker who was going to make it in the factory my mom works in. It's a pretty big factory, all family owned by like 3 or 4 brothers, and hell, even one of the owner's sons chopped off part of his finger when he was younger and his dad wanted him to learn actual manual labor before letting him move up the ranks and be an actual boss/owner kind of figure. I'm 40 and remember him and his twin brother running around at company picnics when they like 5 at the most, I'd guess he's like 30ish now. Goofy and the factory work they do are NOT a good mix. They make wire brushes, they are one of the biggest factories of their kind in the world and the largest in the US. It wasn't regular, but at the same time not completely uncommon, for her to tell us over dinner that someone closed their finger or hand in a machine and they had to go to urgent care or the hospital. Luckily the worst thing that's ever happened to my mom was a wire bit went down into the palm of her hand and had to be surgically removed. She brings bits of wire home on her clothes and shoes and stuff and you never know where they will end up. Last year I had gone out to dinner with her one night, stopped at her house afterwards and was helping her do stuff. The next day when I went to work, something was stabbing me in the foot. I took off my shoe and yep, there was one of those damn wire bits sticking out of my heel. Happened hundreds of times growing up. Didn't take more than the 3 minutes of him I saw on the show to know he 100% wasn't going to cut it and honestly, I was just hoping he would flake out (which he did) before he got seriously hurt. I'm sure I'll get a text or something the next episode he's on. 

• Love 2