Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: The Politics of Friendship

• Start Topic

(edited)
9 hours ago, ChitChat said:

It was a pattern of behavior, not necessarily one issue, per se.  I don't think Carole understands this. 

If it's about patterns of behavior,  I think Radziwill would absolutely understand -- she's blogged about New Yawkers spending decades being up close and personal with Trump's negative patterns. 

Do you think Ramona will ever become more self-aware? 

No ; ) And (to me) the stunning thing is,  I think Ramona would describe herself as deeply self aware, in touch with her motivations and holding near perfect self knowledge.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 9

Again, everyone living in NYC knew everything they needed to know about Trump. No need for one of his rallies. There was nothing to learn there.

Carole needed to step outside of NYC in order to get the vibe of the voters.  I get it that she knew all about him from living there, but if she had, as a journalist, gone to one of his rallies, she could've talked to people to find out why they were voting for him, since that seemed so baffling to her.   A lot of people felt the same way about Hillary.  We've watched her for 30+ years through her & Bill's political career.  I've seen all I needed to see of her.  Nothing new to learn there either.   Before Carole casts aspersions on other voters, she should've put her journalistic skills to work and talked to everyday folks, then maybe she could've helped her party in some way.   Going door to door (which is admirable), was a drop in the bucket of an effort that was needed in order to save HRC's campaign.  Carole can't seem to believe that there are people out there that simply don't like HRC.  That was evident in the number of times she said to Ramona "you don't even like her."   You can't beat people over the head and make them like who you like. 

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/9/2017 at 7:40 AM, ChitChat said:

Carole needed to step outside of NYC in order to get the vibe of the voters.  I get it that she knew all about him from living there, but if she had, as a journalist, gone to one of his rallies, she could've talked to people to find out why they were voting for him, since that seemed so baffling to her.   A lot of people felt the same way about Hillary.  We've watched her for 30+ years through her & Bill's political career.  I've seen all I needed to see of her.  Nothing new to learn there either.   Before Carole casts aspersions on other voters, she should've put her journalistic skills to work and talked to everyday folks, then maybe she could've helped her party in some way.   Going door to door (which is admirable), was a drop in the bucket of an effort that was needed in order to save HRC's campaign.  Carole can't seem to believe that there are people out there that simply don't like HRC.  That was evident in the number of times she said to Ramona "you don't even like her."   You can't beat people over the head and make them like who you like. 

Why? Where was her responsibility to "get out of NY to get the vibe of the voters"? Is she reporting for some news agency that we are not aware of? As far as I can see she is a voter, a US citizen who loves politics and uses her forum to talk about her views. Why isn't it considered awesome that a real HW isn't afraid to talk about something other than shopping or vacations? She isn't pretending to be open minded to Trump's rhetoric. Do you know a lot of people who left their home state to get out among the folks to better understand the voters? I understand that some might, but I know lots of passionate political folks, but very few who have ever attended a rally. My kids both did for Bernie (and worked for his campaign), but they certainly weren't interested in going to see DT. 

Is this the new litmus test for being a passionate member of the electorate? In a country where only about 50% bother to even vote, is it now necessary if you want to strongly voice your opinion to travel around and learn more about the opposition to the point you are leaving your home state? Or is this just the rule for Carole? What if you live in Texas and are a Trump supporter? If you are suppose to learn more about the opposition, where do you go to hear from Hillary? I guess if you live in West Texas maybe you could go to New Mexico, but she wasn't spending much if any time there. But since this is the rule, you had better haul your ass up to Colorado, because she will be there. What if you live in Louisiana? She's not coming to your state and your civic duty and credibility to be passionate about your candidate is on the line. I guess you had better get to the closest state you might see her - maybe Florida - if you really care. Know any people who actually do this? I don't, so it seems strange that she would be singled out as not being serious enough because she didn't do it. 

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 13
(edited)

Holy crap!

Carole went to PA to at least do something plus as a bonus it was part of the script.

I can't fault her for that. However, she needs to stop and realize that Manhattan does not even represent all of New York.

NEw Yorkers do not have a special in  understanding Donald anymore than a dude in Idaho does, imo.

Give me a break.

I live in Suffolk and we know Trump just as well as anyone else however we also know Hillary and why she got that senate  seat in NY.

Imo, it is time for Carole and all of us to move on and find a way to slay in the future elections....

Edited by LIMOM
  • Love 4

I found him bragging that now he had the tallest building in New York City ON THE DAY OF THE ATTACK so egregious that I have never considered him human since.  But that's just me. 

You could call him and go all Julia Sugarbaker on him...and Carole can join you ;)

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, LIMOM said:

I never thought about it and now I agree. As woman, we need to learn how to brag more. Lol.

I agree STRONGLY.  In 2008 I created the "booklet" for our 50th high school reunion.  We wrote to our classmates (the remainders of a class of 150) and asked them to tell us some interesting stuff that happened during the past 50 years.  The "boys" had plenty to say, but I wrote again to 9-10 of the girls who had accomplished a LOT and told them to tell us more..."BRAG about yourself, it's not a sin."  (We were Catholic school kids).  We received surprising and interesting information from some accomplished kids!    We can't hide our lights under the bushels.

Edited by Former Nun
had missed a personal pronoun.
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I agree STRONGLY.  In 2008 created the "booklet" for our 50th high school reunion.  We wrote to our classmates (the remainders of a class of 150) and asked them to tell us some interesting stuff that happened during the past 50 years.  The "boys" had plenty to say, but I wrote again to 9-10 of the girls who had accomplished a LOT and told them to tell us more..."BRAG about yourself, it's not a sin."  (We were Catholic school kids).  We received surprising and interesting information from some accomplished kids!    We can't hide our lights under the bushels.

Can I just say, in this world of teeming political unrest (far beyond the commentary on PTV), your post both insightful and delightful.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Why? Where was her responsibility to "get out of NY to get the vibe of the voters"?

I agree it wasn't her responsibility.  But it might've helped her to be better informed.  Someone upthread said they were surprised when she met people from the Midwest who didn't personally know anyone who was voting for Hillary.  For the average citizen, that's understandable, especially if their primary source of info was MSM.  Or if they live in NYC where 'everyone hates Donald Trump'.

But Carole prides herself on her investigative skills.  That would require her to step out of her bubble.  If not physically travelling to a location, which I understand some might not want to do, but at least considering some of the talking points from the opposition.  If she treated all people she met who didn't like Hillary the way she treated Moaner, by shutting that shit DOWN, no wonder her perception of events was skewed. She didn't care or want to know about any other opinion but her own. She's still doing it to this day on her Twitter feed.

Are we ready for a new episode yet? :-)

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, ryebread said:

I agree it wasn't her responsibility.  But it might've helped her to be better informed.  Someone upthread said they were surprised when she met people from the Midwest who didn't personally know anyone who was voting for Hillary.  For the average citizen, that's understandable, especially if their primary source of info was MSM.  Or if they live in NYC where 'everyone hates Donald Trump'.

But Carole prides herself on her investigative skills.  That would require her to step out of her bubble.  If not physically travelling to a location, which I understand some might not want to do, but at least considering some of the talking points from the opposition.  If she treated all people she met who didn't like Hillary the way she treated Moaner, by shutting that shit DOWN, no wonder her perception of events was skewed. She didn't care or want to know about any other opinion but her own. She's still doing it to this day on her Twitter feed.

Yes, please.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Martinigirl said:

Yes, please.

LOL.

FWIW,  I love me some politics and I love me some Housewives and I love me some posters, here.  Mix 'em all together and it was a thoughtful, interesting week.  But yeah, it's time for another topic.  Hopefully the producers felt the same way.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, Otherkate said:

That's not really fair. I don't have contempt for "bridge and tunnel people" - I married one. I'm also not from NYC originally. I'm not talking about reading about him - I'm talking about living with him, interviewing him, having personal brushes with him, doing business with him, seeing him at events, etc. I've heard the whole interview before.

Interestingly Howard Stern recently talked about approaching HRC's people to be on his show bc he felt it was something she really needed to do to seem human to people outside of the NYC/DC bubble and they wouldn't do it. He thought it was a mistake and so do I. Howard is a fantastic interviewer, but HRC has always had trouble not being guarded. It's a problem she has always had as an electable official. 

Yes, there were. I didn't personally experience any of it.

Yes, Who knew HS could be so insightful?

All I know is that this episode was hard to watch.  I found myself scanning other channels during the airing.  This past election was very negative and hostile. Most people I know stayed home, alone, in their jammies.  I know I did.  Having said that, I have never gone to an election results viewing party.  What will happen will happen and we all must get along and get on with it.  I also work early in the morning so there's that too.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, ryebread said:

I am more interested to learn more about her friend Andrea who showed up to the election party in a deplorables t-shirt.  I think that relationship is probably more indicative of how Carole feels or treats opinions that are different than hers....not Ramona.  Ramona is a nutjob.....she should be shut down the regular IMO.  

I don't belive that Carole "didn't care" or "didn't want to know about any other opinion but her own"....I think it's just that she doesn't agree with those opinions.  That's different IMO.  

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, LIMOM said:

Who do you think comes and rescues the People of Manhattan?

my neighbors, that is whom.

the cops and the firefighters of Long Island know quite a bit about September 11, imo.

I voted for the rights of women and most of my friends voted for their pensions.

The reason why Trump is not liked in the blue blood NYC crowd is because he just is not chichi enough and is a son of Queens.

But I can tell you that every males in my family, all Wall-Streeters, all IVY voted for the man. 

Persona non grata?

bullshit.lol

He will be making speeches like the rest of them.

My grandmother used to say that we all vote with our wallet and this has never been truer than today.

We all don't. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, ryebread said:

1 hour ago, shoegal said:

I am more interested to learn more about her friend Andrea who showed up to the election party in a deplorables t-shirt.  I think that relationship is probably more indicative of how Carole feels or treats opinions that are different than hers....not Ramona.  Ramona is a nutjob.....she should be shut down the regular IMO.  

I don't belive that Carole "didn't care" or "didn't want to know about any other opinion but her own"....I think it's just that she doesn't agree with those opinions.  That's different IMO.  

Ramona reporting in from the Hooters boat

I can not be shut down. I am the shutter not the shuttee

rhony-ram-shudderdown.gif

Turtle Time anyone?

• Love 4
(edited)
26 minutes ago, KungFuBunny said:

Ramona reporting in from the Hooters boat

I can not be shut down. I am the shutter not the shuttee

rhony-ram-shudderdown.gif

Turtle Time anyone?

I'm ready for Turtle Time!!!  I wouldn't count on George showing up.  

Edited by Martinigirl
  • Love 3
(edited)

Do you remember what he did after 9/11?  Yeah, neither does NYC.

FWIW, I remember Mayor Giuliana saying a few months ago that Trump contacted him after 9/11 asking what he could do.  He didn't want it advertised that he made the offer.   I've read that he's done a lot of things like that behind the scenes.

But yeah, it's time for another topic.  Hopefully the producers felt the same way.

I wholeheartedly agree!  I still don't completely understand Dorinda's epic rant against Sonja.  I apparently missed some of the juicier stuff Sonja was saying about Dorinda in the media.  Was it an assertion about drug usage? 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 2
(edited)

This she-shoulda-gone-to-rallies! stuff about Carole is a leetle BEC, right?  She knocked on 40 more doors than I did, and I've done some not-easy activist work and GOTV campaigning in tough places.   I can't take anything away from someone's heartfelt efforts, nor from her admiration for the values her own mother passed down. 

To make a tenuous connection between the ep and the thread...I think Carole and America's Girl Crush, Sally Yates, are gonna be on the right side of history, to use Carole's confessional phrasing.....

Edited by Midnight Cheese
  • Love 11

This she-shoulda-gone-to-rallies! stuff about Carole is a leetle BEC, right?

BEC?  My point in saying that she should've gone to rallies is because she kept saying how she couldn't understand how his supporters could vote for him.  She's a journalist.  Why not make it her mission to answer her own question?  She's got the know-how, and I'm sure she has the funds to travel, so if it was such a mystery to her, all she had to do was go where they were at and ask them!  Mystery solved!  She might've been able to find out some useful info to help her cause. 

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

BEC?  My point in saying that she should've gone to rallies is because she kept saying how she couldn't understand how his supporters could vote for him.  She's a journalist.  Why not make it her mission to answer her own question?  She's got the know-how, and I'm sure she has the funds to travel, so if it was such a mystery to her, all she had to do was go where they were at and ask them!  Mystery solved!  She might've been able to find out some useful info to help her cause. 

I don't think the issue was that Carole didn't know the reasons people were voting for him, it's that she didn't agree with them.  The whole "I don't understand" doesn't literally mean that it's a "mystery", it means more along the lines of "how do you not see what I see?".  I doubt that would have been remedied at a rally, which isn't exactly a hotbed of thoughtful, reasoned and respectful dialogue!  

• Love 12
On 5/8/2017 at 7:13 PM, shoegal said:

...but doesn't it though?  I've never reported from a war zone.  I've never been embedded in US troops in Afghanistan.  I've never interviewed politicians.  I've never worked in news and I don't have contacts in any major news organizations.  Yes, Carole is on a reality show, but that doesn't mean her experience is erased. It still exists.  

I am a political junkie.  I watch the news, pretty much all day, everyday.  I consume political news in all forms on a daily basis, I know who the players are (even the pretty obscure ones) and I can usually speak fairly intelligently about what is currently happening in our political system at any given time.  I believe I am more informed than the "average" voter.  I think the "average" voter just doesn't care the way that I care, they aren't interested in it the way I am and they are bored by the whole thing.  Even for my politically minded friends, I am usually way more into politics than they are....it is arrogant to say that?  I don't think so.  I'm a political wonk.  That's just how it is....perhaps Carole is, too.  

I feel like because it's politics (and maybe Carole's politics in particular that others don't share) that it's "arrogant" to say that you know more than average, but if it were say, Heather or Bethenny, and the conversation was about branding or marketing, would it be arrogant for them to state that maybe they know a little more about that issue than others?

Elections concern everyone.  Carole clearly had a candidate who she was backing (as was I), but you can't simply shut people down when they attempt to bring up an issue that has arisen (as she did with Ramona for bringing up the Weiner e-nails) with the argument that you somehow know more than they do about politics.  I'm pretty confident that Carole didn't know anymore than was being reported at the time about what was really going on with the stupid e-mails.  Again, I like Carole, but despite sharing her view about the election, her conceited way of discussing the election was a turn-off.  And if it was a turn-off to me, a fellow liberal, I can only imagine how someone more conservative may feel.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

FWIW, I remember Mayor Giuliana saying a few months ago that Trump contacted him after 9/11 asking what he could do.  He didn't want it advertised that he made the offer.   I've read that he's done a lot of things like that behind the scenes.

Actually, never mind.

Edited by Otherkate
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, AttackTurtle said:

Elections concern everyone.  Carole clearly had a candidate who she was backing (as was I), but you can't simply shut people down when they attempt to bring up an issue that has arisen (as she did with Ramona for bringing up the Weiner e-nails) with the argument that you somehow know more than they do about politics.  I'm pretty confident that Carole didn't know anymore than was being reported at the time about what was really going on with the stupid e-mails.  Again, I like Carole, but despite sharing her view about the election, her conceited way of discussing the election was a turn-off.  And if it was a turn-off to me, a fellow liberal, I can only imagine how someone more conservative may feel.

I hear ya, but I gotta say that I'm pretty confident that Carole knew more about what was really going on than Ramona.  It's interesting, because when Carole saw Ramona at Sonja's garden party, she brings up their earlier interaction and says to Ramona something along the lines of... "I didn't want you to think that I thought your opinion didn't matter".  

I think Carole got carried away in this election, for sure, which I can understand, but again....I do, at the end of the day (in fact, at the end of every day) believe that in the case of politics, but also basically everything, that Carole is more informed than Ramona.  

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, shoegal said:

I hear ya, but I gotta say that I'm pretty confident that Carole knew more about what was really going on than Ramona.  It's interesting, because when Carole saw Ramona at Sonja's garden party, she brings up their earlier interaction and says to Ramona something along the lines of... "I didn't want you to think that I thought your opinion didn't matter".  

I think Carole got carried away in this election, for sure, which I can understand, but again....I do, at the end of the day (in fact, at the end of every day) believe that in the case of politics, but also basically everything, that Carole is more informed than Ramona.  

I agree, Carole knows Ramona but I also think Carole was trying to keep Ramona away from Bethenny as well at her party. So, I think it was a combo of both that led to Carole disinviting Ramona. LOL

• Love 3
3 hours ago, shoegal said:

I don't think the issue was that Carole didn't know the reasons people were voting for him, it's that she didn't agree with them.  The whole "I don't understand" doesn't literally mean that it's a "mystery", it means more along the lines of "how do you not see what I see?".  I doubt that would have been remedied at a rally, which isn't exactly a hotbed of thoughtful, reasoned and respectful dialogue!  

Thank you!

• Love 5
10 hours ago, LIMOM said:

Yes, Who knew HS could be so insightful?

I've actually been impressed by him several times and I don't like his shock jock stuff so generally not a fan. At his core he's a smart insightful guy.

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, shoegal said:

I withdraw every criticism I have made about Carole's attitude towards the election.   After reading the thoughts of Kelly Bensimon on the election, I applaud Carole for attempting to bring some substance to the franchise.  Holy shit Kelly is an idiot.

Edited by AttackTurtle
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, AttackTurtle said:

Snip. 

Holy shit Kelly is an idiot.

rhony-reu-kel1.gif

Butt ..... butt ..... butt ......

tumblr_mrwdrqeKoT1ql5yr7o2_250.gif

The above answered in Kelly-speak.  Thank you for providing an opportunity to take a little poke at Kelly.  :D :D :D

Yes, both gifs from T. Kyle.  Can you tell I'm a fan?  

• Love 7
(edited)

I know there were some comments about Carole's coat that she wore to canvas. It was on another site made by Mr and Mrs Italy, it costs over two thousand dollars and the fur is real raccoon. I know most people in the demo she was targeting have a couple thousand to blow on a novelty coat. They sell it at Barney's but the site won't load but it's on Polyvore you have to scroll down a bit to see it. 

ETA: I wonder how Adam, a raw vegan, feels about the amount of leather and fur Carole wears. I mean if a vegan doesn't eat honey or eggs (it's not a chicken embryo!) then how does one reconcile fur? I get leather because I eat meat but fur?

Edited by Ki-in
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Ki-in said:

I know there were some comments about Carole's coat that she wore to canvas. It was on another site made by Mr and Mrs Italy, it costs over two thousand dollars and the fur is real raccoon. I know most people in the demo she was targeting have a couple thousand to blow on a novelty coat. They sell it at Barney's but the site won't load but it's on Polyvore you have to scroll down a bit to see it. 

She was also wearing leather pants. :/ That ensemble just seems weird to go out canvassing in.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:

Elections concern everyone.  Carole clearly had a candidate who she was backing (as was I), but you can't simply shut people down when they attempt to bring up an issue that has arisen (as she did with Ramona for bringing up the Weiner e-nails) with the argument that you somehow know more than they do about politics.  I'm pretty confident that Carole didn't know anymore than was being reported at the time about what was really going on with the stupid e-mails.  

Carole assumed she had read way more in-depth reports than Ramona did.  It's Ramona, so I would guess that Carole was correct.

• Wink 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Ki-in said:

ETA: I wonder how Adam, a raw vegan, feels about the amount of leather and fur Carole wears. I mean if a vegan doesn't eat honey or eggs (it's not a chicken embryo!) then how does one reconcile fur? I get leather because I eat meat but fur?

He's got free bed and board, he has no problem with it believe me.

• Love 5
On 5/10/2017 at 1:21 PM, Ki-in said:

Some Vegan's eat honey. In my experience it's about 50/50.

What Carole wears and eats might not be of any concern to Adam. I think lots of folks believe that people chose to be Vegan (or a vegetarian) because of ethical concerns about animals. My job means that I am surrounded by these people all day every day and trust me, this is not always the case. I work with several Vegans who don't even particularly like animals. At all. Don't really care about them, but the entire thing just grosses them out. They care nothing about what I eat, and they date and marry carnivores. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Some Vegan's eat honey. In my experience it's about 50/50.

What Carole wears and eats might not be of any concern to Adam. 

I love Carole's clothes!  She manages to get away with "younger" clothing because of her youthful figure. The other women are in great shape but they have more matronly shapes.  I wouldn't have guessed that jacket was real fur. I thought it was super cute but more for a twenty-five year old. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Mrs peel said:

I’m honored to have an amazing president. Whether it was Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump, that’s not my concern.

It just shows us that Kelly is patriot and not a partisan. 

There is something good in that. I salute her for her attitude.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Trooper York said:

It just shows us that Kelly is patriot and not a partisan. 

There is something good in that. I salute her for her attitude.

6 hours ago, Mrs peel said:

I’m honored to have an amazing president. Whether it was Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump, that’s not my concern.”

My dad was a true patriot. I was raised to respect the office of the President.  Now, if President Trump is amazing or not, well, we're only 100 and some odd days in.  But I think I understand what she was trying to say.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, ryebread said:

My dad was a true patriot. I was raised to respect the office of the President.  Now, if President Trump is amazing or not, well, we're only 100 and some odd days in.  But I think I understand what she was trying to say.

I love that. Your dad sounds like he was a wonderful person (not just from this post but from others you have shared). 

I've always had a saying after an election - even though I am maybe the most partisan person on the planet - that I am behind whoever is in charge. Once it is all over and the votes have been counted, I get behind the winner because their success would usually mean success for the country which is ultimately what I want. I am like that at work. I might not like my boss, but I am rooting for them because they control my destiny. My issue now is that I don't like the way that one current person defines what success would look like. If he were able to get the things done he wants, or to "win" in the way that he thinks looks like "winning", I would be horrified. Mortified. Disgusted. Embarrassed.  So now I cannot say that anymore and it makes me sad. Really, really sad. 

I think the thing about Kelly's statement was when she said "that's not my concern". It sounded like she didn't have a vote or a choice to make and really no opinion about the outcome. Again, might be just fine to a lot of people who just wanted it to be over, but it is strange for someone to say that the election of a President wasn't their concern. Especially if they are criticizing others for their passionate beliefs. And that is the main thing. She was throwing out judgment for others and their passion about something that perhaps she doesn't really understand. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I re-watched the episode and it wasn´t as bad as I had thought. The best thing was watching Carole at her party. I actually like her, but I can´t stand her political views, so I found it delightful when they were all sad, sitting around etc. But the most amazing thing I noticed (that I can´t believe I missed on the first watch) is that Carole actually had her party at (not the literal, but still) Black Lodge!! That was really cool, I so want to decorate a room in my house like that (for those who don´t get the reference, it´s a Twin Peaks thing).

Edited by halkatla
  • Love 3

This forum has been locked until Midnight US Eastern.

Over the past few weeks, there has been a large increase in sniping among posters in this forum, and many reports. We have locked the forum to give everyone a chance to read and absorb the following guidelines:

1. Snark the show, not your fellow posters.

2. It is perfectly fine for someone to have an opinion that's different than yours.

3. A differing opinion should not be a catalyst for vehement disagreement and endless back and forth. State your opinion once, and move on. You can agree to disagree by simply not posting on the subject further.

4. Stop stating opinions and speculation as fact. We rarely know for sure what's going on behind the scenes. Speculation is encouraged, but saying "I think", "in my opinion" or "it's possible that" helps keep things from escalating. 

5. If someone's posts annoy you, use the Ignore feature. If someone really crosses a line, report, but do not engage. 

6. Don't discuss mod actions in the thread. Please PM us if you have a question or concern - @Lisin, @OnceSane, @Mya Stone, @Aethera.

7. This is supposed to be fun. If it's not fun for you, consider changing your approach.

Failure to follow these rules may lead to suspension or banning from the site.