Type keyword(s) to search

Joe & Kendra: Looking Forward To Side Hugs

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

I'm guessing for the we hope for God's blessings in this next year that they expect her to be pregnant again next year.  Geesh.  Give the girl a break.

That was my impression too! 

• Love 2

Okay, I'm confused about Joe and Kendra's house. They got married in September, right? The latest show talks about them fixing up their house. So where were they living after the wedding? Or were they on their honeymoon for a month afterwards? Somehow, I don't think that Joe did all that work himself, even with his brothers helping. Most likely Jim Bob hired some contractors to assist in the remodel. 

• Love 1

Assuming they did things by the book (I know, insert obvious joke), somebody licensed would've had to do the plumbing and electrical. I'm not sure if the cabin is on a septic system or connected to the town sewer, but again, a professional would need to do all that as well.

Similar to how the siblings "renovated" Jinger's kitchen. I guarantee the Vuolos had real workers do 95% of the job and then TLC filmed Jana slapping a few tiles on the wall to show off her mad skillz.

• Love 12

I can never get over the flimsiness of american houses. Is there no law to make sure that any changes/plumbing/electricty etc is done by a licensed professional? I wouldn't buy anything from a bunch of amateurs.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, MunichNark said:

I can never get over the flimsiness of american houses. Is there no law to make sure that any changes/plumbing/electricty etc is done by a licensed professional? I wouldn't buy anything from a bunch of amateurs.

There is no uniform law through all 50 states about home construction, but home inspections are part of most sales.  Many banks will require one if they are issuing a mortgage.  Cash buyers can also request them.   Inspections wont find everything that is wrong or done poorly, but they will add insight to the quality of the home. Frankly, if you buy a house without an inspection you are an idiot.  Even if you are a cash buyer, the inspection can help you negotiate a fix or a lower price.

• Love 7

I believe that people can do whatever they want with their houses, but when they try to sell them plumbing and electrical that was completed without proper permits can be caught in an inspection, and may have to be dealt with at that time. Mortgages and insurance are also affected (unobtainable) for houses that aren't up to code. Either all of the flips that they are doing are cosmetic, or they are hiring professionals for the heavy lifting, or JB has enough cult friends who will pay cash for houses to get away with substandard work.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, MunichNark said:

There are certain regulations home renovators/builders are supposed to follow in regard to plumbing, electricity, structure/frame and zoning laws. Many home owners do many repairs/upgrades themselves. Some do it correctly and some don't. As @Ohiopirate02 mentioned most errors would be discovered during an inspection prior to purchasing a house.

As far as Joe's home, the Duggars moved an entire house. They would have needed the electric company to disconnect the wires and the DPW to disconnect the plumbing and the gas company or an oil company to disconnect those services and permits to drive on public roads with such a large object.

The Duggars would of had to say where they were bringing the house, which would need to be zoned for a residential home. All this puts the town on alert and the Duggars would have to have the house inspected prior to occupancy. So the Duggars would have needed professionals to set the foundation, install the electrical wiring and plumbing and heating. These permits would need to be shown to the house inspector.

If the house was already in place they could have tried to do most of the work without permits but they still would need to be hooked up to power by the power company which homeowners can't do themselves.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

There is no uniform law through all 50 states about home construction, but home inspections are part of most sales.  Many banks will require one if they are issuing a mortgage.  Cash buyers can also request them.   Inspections wont find everything that is wrong or done poorly, but they will add insight to the quality of the home. Frankly, if you buy a house without an inspection you are an idiot.  Even if you are a cash buyer, the inspection can help you negotiate a fix or a lower price.

I live in Bellevue, WA where the homes are upwards of $1.5 mil (not mine).  With so many techie millionaires, chinese investors, and land developers buying up everything, you pretty much are required for waive all contingencies and inspections if you want to win the offer...or toss an additional $50,000 in.  Cash only.  

We did that for a townhome we bought, and  luckily got great bones, but needed to remodel almost everything.  I can’t even imagine watching the Duggar idiots try to BS their way through all the work.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MunichNark said:

In cold weather states, the houses are not flimsy, ever.  Especially the plumbing which would explode with the first freeze. There is also a different standard from state to state as well.  Arkansas is .... well, Arkansas.

• Love 14

Arkansas codes are getting better than they were, but they can be really jacked up, for sure. One of my friends is married to a licensed electrician, and her husband pretty much tells people to be very suspicious of anything built before 2000. 

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

In cold weather states, the houses are not flimsy, ever.  Especially the plumbing which would explode with the first freeze. There is also a different standard from state to state as well.  Arkansas is .... well, Arkansas.

Ditto for California, seeing as we are on faultlines out here.

I hope the Dimwit Duggars are not so cocky as to do work without licensed people and appropriate permits. Knowing what a tightwad Boob is, though, I would believe they are that cocky and then some.

Edited by jcbrown
articles are important
  • Love 5

They could be working under licensed professionals. States differ, but until my father got his license, he worked under another electrician’s. The job was looked at before and after, my father was on his own during.

I personally wouldn’t put any license on the line for the Duggars.

Forgot to add, this was prior to my father being in school , it was not an apprentice position.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, CarolMK said:

Okay, I'm confused about Joe and Kendra's house. They got married in September, right? The latest show talks about them fixing up their house. So where were they living after the wedding? Or were they on their honeymoon for a month afterwards? Somehow, I don't think that Joe did all that work himself, even with his brothers helping. Most likely Jim Bob hired some contractors to assist in the remodel. 

I was wondering the same thing.

On August 12, 2018 at 11:47 AM, GeeGolly said:

There are certain regulations home renovators/builders are supposed to follow in regard to plumbing, electricity, structure/frame and zoning laws. Many home owners do many repairs/upgrades themselves. Some do it correctly and some don't. As @Ohiopirate02 mentioned most errors would be discovered during an inspection prior to purchasing a house.

As far as Joe's home, the Duggars moved an entire house. They would have needed the electric company to disconnect the wires and the DPW to disconnect the plumbing and the gas company or an oil company to disconnect those services and permits to drive on public roads with such a large object.

The Duggars would of had to say where they were bringing the house, which would need to be zoned for a residential home. All this puts the town on alert and the Duggars would have to have the house inspected prior to occupancy. So the Duggars would have needed professionals to set the foundation, install the electrical wiring and plumbing and heating. These permits would need to be shown to the house inspector.

If the house was already in place they could have tried to do most of the work without permits but they still would need to be hooked up to power by the power company which homeowners can't do themselves.

So I have a friend that about 5 years ago in Alabama was given the offer of the house she lived in with her now ex-husband and raised her daughter in.  Ex grandma owned the property and was selling it and since the 2, 1940's rental houses on it were going to be demolished she asked if they wanted it.  My friend had recently purchases several acres outside the city limits and had a single wide trailer on it. She jumped at the chance.  The plumbing and electric were disconnected and she contacted a company to move it.  Didn't need a permit for any of it.  They put it on the property and she wanted to do some additional foundation work on it before getting it hooked up to the septic tank and electrical.  

So it's possible, esp since it's in the Duggar's yard, they wouldn't have needed to notify anyone of putting another house on it, because it's already residentially zoned.  I know that each state has different requirements, from all of our moving, and depending if you're in a city vs not there are differences as well.  My dad had a great huge workshop built for him in TN on his property and didn't need a single permit.  So who knows.  

That being said - I found this online.  Looks like the Duggars moved it themselves.

https://people.com/home/the-duggars-move-grandma-duggars-cabin/

• Love 1
On 8/11/2018 at 3:10 PM, DragonFaerie said:

I'm guessing for the we hope for God's blessings in this next year that they expect her to be pregnant again next year.  Geesh.  Give the girl a break.

I agree.  And then I had to think.  He is shoeless, she looks it, but I can't tell for sure.  So after trekking through the hospital and out to the car through the parking lot, they then get in the car, still shoeless.  You know the car, WHERE THEY EAT ALL THE TIME!  Ick, Blech, Disgusting.  

Then they probably walked into their home, still shoeless and wandered around the house.  I cannot imagine the germs in that place at that point.  How has Izzy survived?  He must have one hell of an immune system.

I spent one summer a few years ago working with poorer-than-poor, underprivileged families.  You wouldn’t believe the filth and poverty that newborns are raised in, yet somehow they manage to survive, and even thrive, physically. The human body is typically strong and resilient, even from birth.

• Love 18
1 minute ago, farmgal4 said:

I spent one summer a few years ago working with poorer-than-poor, underprivileged families.  You wouldn’t believe the filth and poverty that newborns are raised in, yet somehow they manage to survive, and even thrive, physically. The human body is typically strong and resilient, even from birth.

There was once an episode of 16& Pregnant where a young couple went to buy a used crib from a woman who's child had recently graduated to a regular bed. When they got it home and lifted the mattress there were roaches everywhere. I don't think Jill is a clean or tidy person, but I wouldn't call her lifestyle outright filthy either. There's much, much worse out there. 

• Love 20
4 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Both of my parents were born in rural areas on working farms, and neither of them lived in a house with running water or electricity until they were in their late teens - 16 and 17 respectfully.  I stayed with my maternal grandparents for long periods in the summer and even though they didn't have much money, my grandmother always said, "It doesn't matter how rich or how poor you are.  There are 2 things that you can have.  One is manners, the other is cleanliness."  That being said I use to help her with an old fashioned ringer washer filled with well water from a pump, to do laundry.  She ironed EVERYTHING.  LOL.  No one was allowed to leave the house in pants that weren't "properly" ironed.  

Yes, there are many folks that are worse than Jill and Derick, even folks I know personally who have a much better income/less mouths to feed, but even though the Duggars lived like cordwood in a way too tiny house, often on love offerings, that is no reason that they don't seem to have manners or a high level of cleanliness.  IMHO. 

I also have had 2 siblings work in hospitals.  The bare feet in there still have me cringing.  When I told my sister, who works in a hospital, she totally freaked out.  LOL

• Love 13

But I think - the environment you live in builds your immunity and stamina.  If you grew up in a more impoverished environment, you will be more resilient to those surroundings than someone who has lived in clean luxury.  Likewise, if you are someone who has eaten bland food all your life, excess seasonings and richness might be an issue.  

• Love 14
7 hours ago, Wishing Well said:

But I think - the environment you live in builds your immunity and stamina.  If you grew up in a more impoverished environment, you will be more resilient to those surroundings than someone who has lived in clean luxury.  Likewise, if you are someone who has eaten bland food all your life, excess seasonings and richness might be an issue.  

Which is exactly why kids, unless there is a preexisting condition, are better off exposed to any number of things which it seems we are almost indoctrinated to recoil against with fear and disgust in today's antibacterial surroundings. 

As far as bland diets, I was pretty much raised on one, though I was also raised such that not liking a food was not an option - if you didn't care for something on your plate, you just ate that first and got it out of the way. I still pretty much adhere to that, though there are very, very few foods I can honestly say I don't like. Except spicy things, because my palate has never learned to accept "pain" as a flavor.

• Love 11

Technically he's the only one to be living on the TTH property that we know of, but it's not like Jessa and Ben or Josh and Anna aren't just as under his thumb. Their homes are JB properties too. Who knows what Siah and Lauren or Jill and Derrick are doing, but its a safe bet Siah didn't buy his own home on his own. 

• Love 4

I think that all the boys are under their father's thumb. They all work for him. And I'm pretty sure that the money they got to buy their houses came from the family's pocket. My speculation is that when the boys come of age, they get their share of the show's money so they can buy property. The girls get their share when they get married. 

Edited by Future Cat Lady
spelling
  • Love 2

Joe and Kendra might have planted their house in the yard, but I get the sense they have put actual boundaries in place. Joe was particularly close to Jinger so it's possible she's given Kendra some real advice and not just Duggar ramblings and while I'm not a fan of Kendra's dad, her mom seems to have some actual common sense to her. While the girls are expected to go off with their husbands and follow their leads, you know they expected Joe to still live a Duggar life and lead Kendra that direction. I'm not sure that's what the reality of his marriage is. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I would say maybe Grandma Mary? Dark hair and an "old" chin (I believe Kendra's mom is blonde, and her skin doesn't look like that).

Yup, but @louannems said it was Lauren’s mom not Kendra’s mom. 

Grandma Mary is slimmer than that woman and with shorter hair. I’d vote Kendra’s grandmother like @Fostersmom stated. 

Garret is a cutie. Joe and Kendra aren’t doing the Instagram thing right?

Edited by Scarlett45
On 6/19/2018 at 4:58 PM, ginger90 said:

Oops, old quote.

I hope someone can help me. I was out of commission for a few weeks end of August for health problems but am on the mend & catching up on everything Duggar.

Anyway, I thought I was on this thread,  Joken.  There was a post of a picture of one of the girls To Do List & think it was for a Monday.  I remember it had dusting, making dinner & cleaning toys, which made me think it was one of the newlyweds- Joken or Joy&Austin. It was written on paper from a girly journal type book, not just a scrap of paper. (Why do I remember this stuff?) When I started to read the posts, I hit something on my phone & it put me somewhere else on the forum.  I tried to go back & find it but no luck.  I've searched all the threads (I think). It would have been from about mid-August to present.  I really want to read the comments since the list was just normal chores we all do without having to write it down.  (No offense to the list makers out there.  I know some people need them to function incl my son & sister. )  Hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Barb23 said:

Oops, old quote.

I hope someone can help me. I was out of commission for a few weeks end of August for health problems but am on the mend & catching up on everything Duggar.

Anyway, I thought I was on this thread,  Joken.  There was a post of a picture of one of the girls To Do List & think it was for a Monday.  I remember it had dusting, making dinner & cleaning toys, which made me think it was one of the newlyweds- Joken or Joy&Austin. It was written on paper from a girly journal type book, not just a scrap of paper. (Why do I remember this stuff?) When I started to read the posts, I hit something on my phone & it put me somewhere else on the forum.  I tried to go back & find it but no luck.  I've searched all the threads (I think). It would have been from about mid-August to present.  I really want to read the comments since the list was just normal chores we all do without having to write it down.  (No offense to the list makers out there.  I know some people need them to function incl my son & sister. )  Hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

I'm fairly certain it was Joy.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, louannems said:

Garrett must be 4 months and I have not seen any pictures since he was born! I applaud Kendra and Joe for staying off Instagram, but I'm surprised there are no updates on DFO.

That picture of Garrett must be old. I think he's around 9 months old because I'm pretty sure he is a honeymoon baby.

Garrett is almost 5 months old and a honeymoon baby. Joe and Kendra were married early September 2017 and Garrett was born early June 2018.

Gideon is about 8 months old and also a honeymoon baby. Joy and Austin were married in late May 2017 and Gideon was born mid to late February 2018. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Triple P said:

Garrett is almost 5 months old and a honeymoon baby. Joe and Kendra were married early September 2017 and Garrett was born early June 2018.

Gideon is about 8 months old and also a honeymoon baby. Joy and Austin were married in late May 2017 and Gideon was born mid to late February 2018. 

Oh right. It takes 9 months to grow the human!

• Love 8