Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Episode 5

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I wonder why they didn't call dentists "doctor." 

I once asked this question of a friend who's an English-born nurse, and she replied, "Because they're not, are they?  They're not real doctors."  haha

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Portia said:
24 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I once asked this question of a friend who's an English-born nurse, and she replied, "Because they're not, are they?  They're not real doctors."  haha

British surgeons (male) are called 'Mr."  We've seen this recently in the episode with the late-term miscarriage.

• Love 4

I'm satisfied with the way Reggie's plotline was resolved.

Writers, I was hoping for some line like this:

Freddie: "Reggie, we'll visit you at Christmas and on your birthday, and of course when your harvest comes in."

• Love 3
3 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I think Sister Monica Joan really shined in this one; insisting on seeing the institution with Fred, her face when she looked through the window and SMC, the crying in the car.  Talking to Reggie about the dead roses.  And when she revealed that she delivered Valerie where she had this mix of emotions on her face, sad at remembering she worked with Sister Evangelina, happy at seeing the baby all grown and at the same time affected by realizing the passing of time from then to now.

How did Sister Monica Joan know that she had delivered her?  She seemed to recognize her by face, not by name.

(edited)

How did Sister Monica Joan know that she had delivered her?  She seemed to recognize her by face, not by name.

Ruling out for a moment that dementia makes one psychic, I wonder if Sister Monica Joan has kept track of all the children she delivered that still live in Poplar, and knows how their faces have changed over time. I can imagine her delighting in seeing them thrive and have children of their own. However, maybe that is one of the reasons her mind is so addled, that is a lot of stories and faces to contain.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, Portia said:

That begs the question "What is a 'real' doctor?" Very arrogant for MDs to believe they are the only holders of doctorates who are entitled to be called "Doctor" then to persuade others to share that belief.

As for surgeons being called "Mister," that is even weirder since they are MDs!

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She seemed to recognize her by face, not by name.

I disagree. I think she saw a new face in uniform inside NH, had been told they hired Valerie Dyer, remembered the name from the birth, and put 2 and 2 together. Maybe VD (oh, dear, that's unfortunate) looks like her mom!

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

That begs the question "What is a 'real' doctor?" Very arrogant for MDs to believe they are the only holders of doctorates who are entitled to be called "Doctor" then to persuade others to share that belief.

As for surgeons being called "Mister," that is even weirder since they are MDs!

I thought it was significant that my English friend who expressed the sentiment that dentists aren't "real" doctors was herself a medical professional.  When she made that comment, I remember thinking, "Hm, this is clearly a big deal to her."

(edited)
43 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

That begs the question "What is a 'real' doctor?" 

Joking not Joking

To be classified in my book as a "Real Doctor" the MD has to be someone I dislike intensely having to go to see. I've never minded going to Dentists, Physical Therapists, Eye Doctors, Orthodontists, or Dermatologists, but Surgeons or General Practitioners yep I hate going to them so they get the "real doctor" label. lol I've have such bad experiences with Surgeons and General Practitioners that I will put off having to go see them as long as I can. I don't think I've met a none arrogant Surgeon or General Practitioner or one that hasn't dismiss my concerns because I was a female and obviously just a wimp. 

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, attica said:
45 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She seemed to recognize her by face, not by name.

I disagree. I think she saw a new face in uniform inside NH, had been told they hired Valerie Dyer, remembered the name from the birth, and put 2 and 2 together. Maybe VD (oh, dear, that's unfortunate) looks like her mom!

I thought of that last part, but we had seen her mother, and in my opinion, they didn't look particularly alike.

(edited)

The acting of Sister MJ, Fred, and Violet really shone for me in this epi. As far as the writing, it was okay, although I rolled my eyes a few times. One was when Reggie turned on the gas stove, locked himself out, and, when Fred came back many hours later, nothing bad had happened. You can’t tell me someone wouldn’t have walked by the building, or up to the shop door, with a lit butt in their hand, and blown the whole block to smithereens. A second was the driving lesson on manual transmission on a crowded inner-city street. Nurse Crane is too smart for that. A third was the conversion wit' a quickness, of Vi to Team Reggie.  

Trixie--I loved when she stood up to that dentist a couple of times, and how nice of the writers to have a hunky, single, age-appropriate, and prosperous man who works in health care happen to stroll into her life. (BTW, do any men ask ladies they’ve just met out to dinner anymore, instead of a coffee bar?) Is Trixie sober and attending her AA meetings? It’s never mentioned. For anyone I’ve known who went to AA and stayed sober, sobriety is #1 and the meetings a big part of their life. I loved the glance Reggie gave a girl on the grass on his way in, and I look forward to seeing more of Nurse Dwyer.  Once again with feeling, good riddance to Sister Ursula, who would never have permitted Trixie to spend that kind of time with a complex patient or any patient. 

Edited by Tuneful
  • Love 3

Speaking of Valerie's mom, how cute was it that she walked her to 'school' and gave her treats for her 'classmates'? Although, I wondered why Valerie couldn't live at home and do the nursing, just staying over when she was on nights...

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, attica said:

Speaking of Valerie's mom, how cute was it that she walked her to 'school' and gave her treats for her 'classmates'? Although, I wondered why Valerie couldn't live at home and do the nursing, just staying over when she was on nights...

Well the "walking her to school with goodies for her friends" might explain why she doesn't live at home now that she needn't.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, AZChristian said:

The dentist said that fear of going to the dentist is one of the top fears of a lot of people.  Dental phobia is a real thing.

I was sent (as a child) to these elderly twin Dentists. I called them Dr Sadist and Dr Masochist. 

You bet a few bad experiences can bring on full dental phobia.  I cringed for her having to go and tooth pain is nothing to sneeze at. Glad all was resolved and is now behind her. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't like Sister Monica Joan thinking she needed to accompany Fred because he might not make the right decision.  I know everyone is kind to her because she's elderly, but Fred was perfectly capable of making the decision about what was best for his cousin.  Sister Monica Joan needed to mind her own business.  

Edited by Ohwell
cousin, not nephew
  • Love 1
(edited)

Use of "Mr" is an honorific title and inplies higher status. 

From Wiki:

In the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland and in some Commonwealth countries (such as South Africa, New Zealand and some states of Australia), many surgeons use the title Mr (or Miss, Ms, Mrs, as appropriate), rather than Dr (Doctor). Until the 19th century, earning a medical degree was not required to become a qualified surgeon. Hence the modern practice of reverting from Dr back to Mr after successfully completing qualifying exams in surgery (e.g., Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons) is a historical reference to the origins of surgery in the United Kingdom as non-medically qualified barber surgeons.[4]

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I didn't like Sister Monica Joan thinking she needed to accompany Fred because he might not make the right decision.  I know everyone is kind to her because she's elderly, but Fred was perfectly capable of making the decision about what was best for his cousin.  Sister Monica Joan needed to mind her own business.  

I agree that Sister Monica Joan is a busy body and that it was rude to imply that Fred wouldn't make the right decision on his own; however, her insisting on coming along gave us that awesome line "I believe that two opinions are better than one, particularly when one is mine" so I'm less annoyed by the scene.

• Love 3

Ohwell (i don't know how to quote!)....  i didn't think sister mj meant any disrespect to fred.  i just thought she knew what the hospital might be like and wanted to assist fred, nothing more!  but then, what do i know?

• Love 4

when Fred came back many hours later

I didn't think it was hours later.  He'd said he was going to try and check on Reggie during the day, so I assumed it wasn't that long after Reggie left.  Just long enough for the smell of gas to be everywhere but not long enough for something to have set it off.

• Love 2

Part of why I enjoy this show and the discussions here is really getting a glimpse in the differences in the health fields in the UK and the US.  Assuming I'm understanding info correctly from a news article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3329907/Dentists-claim-the-right-to-be-called-Dr.html) and looking at the UK NHS site (https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/), dentists in the UK even today do not have to have a doctorate degree. In no way am I saying their qualifications are any less than a US DDS, just that the systems are different.

It might be interesting to have a thread in this forum similar to one found in the Great British Bake Off forum on differences on either side of the pond! I'm far from an expert, but I know that the role of midwives in the US at the time of Call the Midwife was vastly different, so when we view the show with our Americanized lens, I wonder what we're seeing so very differently from UK viewers.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, jaybird2 said:
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I agree that Sister Monica Joan is a busy body and that it was rude to imply that Fred wouldn't make the right decision on his own; however, her insisting on coming along gave us that awesome line "I believe that two opinions are better than one, particularly when one is mine" so I'm less annoyed by the scene.

1 hour ago, jaybird2 said:

Ohwell (i don't know how to quote!)....  i didn't think sister mj meant any disrespect to fred.  i just thought she knew what the hospital might be like and wanted to assist fred, nothing more!  but then, what do i know?

I also don't think Sister MJ meant any disrespect to Fred.  I think she knows it is an overwhelming responsibility to find appropriate care for someone like Reggie and she wanted to act as a support for Fred.  Also Sister MJ had become attached to Reggie and she wanted to check things out for herself. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, jaybird2 said:

(i don't know how to quote!)...

Underneath the persons post there are 5 images a quotation mark, a +quotation mark, a flag, a 3 circle thing, and a heart.  If you click on the first quotation mark you will quote that post; if you click on the +quotation mark you can quote more then one post, if you click the flag you can report a post, clicking on the 3 circles allows you to share the post, and the heart allows you to like a post.

• Love 5

I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion,  but I have not been particularly interested in Sister Mary Cynthia'a story.  I find the character almost too meek and mild, though I certainly don't discount the health issues she is facing, especially in light of the fact that there have been a few mentions of her being based on a real person.  I have read alll three or Jennifer Worth's books about her time in Poplar, but I'm not remembering much about this story line.  What happened with the real Mary Cynthia?

Reggie was just a sweetheart.  I'm glad he got a somewhat happy ending after losing his mother.  I think it was the right thing to do since Fred and Violet are none too young themselves.   He is not a child, and a young man of 21 going to a place where he can have meaningful work and companionship is quite what is expected for young adults.  I hope the actor makes some guest appearances.

I'm glad Crystal got a healthy baby and a lovely smile.

As soon as Trixie said a few pointed words to the dentist during the clinic I thought "and there is her next love interest."  But I'm happy to be right.

I still love this show.  I'm sad when Sunday night does not bring me an British period piece drama.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, jaybird2 said:

That might have been true, but she could have just asked Fred if she could accompany him, instead of him finding her sitting in the car.  

1 hour ago, Fireball said:

Underneath the persons post there are 5 images a quotation mark, a +quotation mark, a flag, a 3 circle thing, and a heart.  If you click on the first quotation mark you will quote that post; if you click on the +quotation mark you can quote more then one post, if you click the flag you can report a post, clicking on the 3 circles allows you to share the post, and the heart allows you to like a post.

thank you sooo so much!

• Love 2
(edited)

I just love the little behind the scenes moments they do, if only to see the actress who plays Sister Winifred.  You know she's probably the coolest one in the cast, and probably does crystal ball readings at the end of season parties while Fleetwood Mac's "Gypsy" plays in the background. 

I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion,  but I have not been particularly interested in Sister Mary Cynthia'a story.  I find the character almost too meek and mild, though I certainly don't discount the health issues she is facing, especially in light of the fact that there have been a few mentions of her being based on a real person.

I do find Mary Cynthia a little too mild.  It's amazing that she's been on the show for the entire series.  I feel like we barely know anything about the character. 

I also loved Sister Monica Joan's moment with Valerie.  It was very touching, and you get a sense that Sister MJ was probably a heck of a midwife in her prime.

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

That might have been true, but she could have just asked Fred if she could accompany him, instead of him finding her sitting in the car.  

That is one of the perks of the elderly.  They can do what the hell they want!

• Love 7

I see Sister MJ as a fiercely loyal person.  And in being so insistent on going with Fred, she was displaying her loyalty for Reggie.  One of the first things she said at the first place they visited was, "Where are the gardens?" because she knew that he loved working in the garden.

She's someone I'd want in my corner - old and senile or not.  She can accomplish more with her challenges than most people can who aren't similarly challenged.

• Love 13
15 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

That is one of the perks of the elderly.  They can do what the hell they want!

Absolutely.  All filters are off.  And at her age she's seen just about everything so her opinion DOES mean something.  The young can learn from the old if they take a minute to listen - not that Fred is young.  Bless him for toting her along with him.

• Love 8

I googled the whole British "Dr. v. Mr." thing and got a laugh from a post on a forum that said that in the US even a DVM is called a "doctor." What a snob! Getting into and graduating from a veterinary school is harder than the equivalent MD experience.

• Love 11
(edited)
On 4/30/2017 at 8:27 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Back to the topic at hand: What happened to make that women so fearful of the dentist. It seemed like she had been raped or sexually assaulted by a dentist. Her fear was far beyond a routine dental appointment.

Phobias are not defined as rational. However, I don't think she was afraid of a routine visit. She was afraid of an extreme visit because she never had a routine maintenance visit. As much free crap as these peeps got in that time, dental care was not one of them. Until, she then got free dental care. I cried foul on that one, although her freedom from pain, fear and self consciousness provided such a palpable relief that I was happily along for the ride. 

On 4/30/2017 at 9:17 PM, Sarah 103 said:
On 4/30/2017 at 9:14 PM, MaryHedwig said:

How did Sister Monica Joan know to look for Sister Mary Cynthia down that hall?  Was it Sister MJ's sixth sense due to having one foot in earth and the other the world beyond?

I thought she glimpsed Sister Mary Cynthia out of the corner of her eye. My guess (which turned out to be totally wrong) was that Sister Monica Joan thought she recognized someone, but it would turn out to be someone else/a different person. 

She recognized the head covering. Standard issue for nuns. I recognized her instantly.

As for Barbara.... I don't think she was being serious when she feigned wistfulness over Trixie's first date with the Dentist. Barbara would not trade the intimacy of engagement for anything. She was never frilly, and Tom sharing both his calling and what touches him emotionally with her is why I think he and Barbara were made for one another. Women drag men to chick flicks all the time, so what is the difference. Trixie is my second favorite character (Hello, Nurse Crane), but I always thought "poor Tom" when he and Trixie were together. I just don't think she was cut out to be a pastor's wife. Nor do I think Barbara is cut out for the maintenance of what Trixie desires in her relationships. But to note, Barbara and Tom's first date was a fancy dinner that had Barbara all neurotic about how to dress and behave. We have seen several more romantic moments between them than ever between Trixie and Tom - including dancing and making out at Nonnatus House, leaving brillo cream stains on the wall.

However, I just love how they are all supportive of one another in their different relationships. The fact that they all still relate to one another in generous and respecting ways, despite their histories shows tremendous depth of character.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Portia said:

15 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Well, that's hilarious! Said no dentist ever....

• Love 1

As soon as I realized Trixie and Mr. Dentist were going to be an item, I was so glad that he got to see her deliver a baby before anything else.  It's so easy for people to see her as a frivolous little doll.  Now he will always know there's a lot of steel in that magnolia.

It didn't dawn on me until later to think what a wonderful actor the man who played Reggie was.  Every second was believable and moving.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

dancing and making out at Nonnatus House, leaving brillo cream stains on the wall.

This kind of made me chuckle.  It's "Brylcreem" . . . not brillo.  They are such totally different things.  LOL.  ;-)

• Love 4

The mother of a friend of mine died like Reggie's mother -- in church. All three priests assigned to the parish conducted her funeral mass, which (I'm told) is a rare thing and meant to show great respect. I suspect they were all feeling a wee bit embarrassed for conducting a service while she "keeled over" (the priest's actual description of her death during said funeral, I am not making that up). Many family members had to suppress many giggles, even through their grief.  I admit I had to suppress a smile when Reggie's mom keeled her ownself over. 

She's someone I'd want in my corner - old and senile or not.  She can accomplish more with her challenges than most people can who aren't similarly challenged.

I don't know if I agree with that.  I think the show's treatment of Sister Monica Joan is fairly unrealistic, like the show can't decide if her senility is cute or dangerous.  For example, with this episode, did she even tell anyone at Nonataus House that she was going with Fred to the hospital?  She just kind of appeared in his car.  Did they just think she wandered off and would eventually find her way back?       

• Love 6
13 hours ago, jaybird2 said:

thank you sooo so much!

You are very welcome! I'm glad that I could help

8 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

Trixie is my second favorite character (Hello, Nurse Crane), but I always thought "poor Tom" when he and Trixie were together. I just don't think she was cut out to be a pastor's wife. Nor do I think Barbara is cut out for the maintenance of what Trixie desires in her relationships. But to note, Barbara and Tom's first date was a fancy dinner that had Barbara all neurotic about how to dress and behave. We have seen several more romantic moments between them than ever between Trixie and Tom - including dancing and making out at Nonnatus House, leaving brillo cream stains on the wall.

I had forgotten that Tom took Barbara to a fancy dinner on their first date; probably because the date ended with a cut to Trixie looking sad/upset about Tom & Barbara dating.

I never thought that Trixie would make a good pastor's either, but I thought that the writers did a good job showing us Tom & Trixie falling in love. To me, Tom & Barbara's dating relationship always felt that it was more about Trixie and/or moving the plot along and less about showing us Tom & Barbara falling in love.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:
8 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

dancing and making out at Nonnatus House, leaving brillo cream stains on the wall.

This kind of made me chuckle.  It's "Brylcreem" . . . not brillo.  They are such totally different things.  LOL.  ;-)

Ha! Thank you, autofill. This is why I usually proofread like a nerd before I hit send. I was going to edit it, but since it gave you a chuckle, I'll just leave it be. ; )

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I don't know if I agree with that.  I think the show's treatment of Sister Monica Joan is fairly unrealistic, like the show can't decide if her senility is cute or dangerous.  For example, with this episode, did she even tell anyone at Nonataus House that she was going with Fred to the hospital?  She just kind of appeared in his car.  Did they just think she wandered off and would eventually find her way back?       

Their betrayal of a person with dementia is inappropriate, imo.  Once a person has wandered and shown that they are not in the early stage, it's very dangerous to leave them unattended.  (She has demonstrated on multiple occasions that this is not the early stage for her. And almost lost her life.)  They seem to want to portray her as a visionary or person blessed  by God with special abilities.  I fear they are not understanding what a disservice they are doing for real dementia patients and their families, by pretending that she's not at high risk of harming herself or others.  As a family member  of someone with dementia, I find it insulting.  

• Love 5

Widespread knowledge of Alzheimer's was not present in the 1960's.  While it was named in 1910, cognitive testing wasn't even developed until the late 60's.  Back then, it was simply thought to be a condition of "old age" and it was not common knowledge that the dementia was a progressive illness especially since patients have good and bad days.  There was virtually nothing taught about care or treatment when I was in nursing school in the 1970's.

So looking at Sr. MJ and her treatment by her peers from a 2017 perspective isn't realistic nor should it be insulting or a disservice.  

• Love 18
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Widespread knowledge of Alzheimer's was not present in the 1960's.  While it was named in 1910, cognitive testing wasn't even developed until the late 60's.  Back then, it was simply thought to be a condition of "old age" and it was not common knowledge that the dementia was a progressive illness especially since patients have good and bad days.  There was virtually nothing taught about care or treatment when I was in nursing school in the 1970's.

So looking at Sr. MJ and her treatment by her peers from a 2017 perspective isn't realistic nor should it be insulting or a disservice.  

Very well put. Also: Judy Parfitt lost her husband to dementia and has talked a lot about the experience in order to help others who have to go through a similar trauma. I'd say she'd intervene if the portrayal of Sister MJ would cross a line.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 6

It's not looking at dementia from a 2017 perspective that causes me to question how Sister Monica Joan is portrayed.  She's engaged in a lot of behavior over the course of the series that has put her in danger from stealing to wandering.  And that doesn't even get into her trip back to her childhood home a season or so ago that nearly killed her and caused panic throughout Nonataus House.  You don't need to understand dementia to recognize that a person with those tendencies needs supervision.  I like the character and the acting, but I do feel as though she would not be given the free reign she's still being given.       

• Love 4