Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Episode 5

• Start Topic

A distant cousin of Fred's who has Down's Syndrome is taken in by the Buckles following the death of his protective mother, but Violet struggles to cope and Shelagh is forced to make other arrangements for his care. New recruit Valerie prepares for her first day at Nonnatus House, and Trixie comes to the aid of a pregnant woman who is in urgent need of dental treatment to avoid an infection. The nurses discover what has happened to Sister Mary Cynthia, a revelation that has distressing consequences for Sister Monica Joan.

Wah! Sister Monica Joan had me crying more than once through the episode. With Reggie, with the hospital, and of course with Sister Mary Cynthia.

Well done by the actor playing Reggie. While I appreciated Violet's turnaround, I didn't think they'd be adding him to the cast, so I'm glad the character found a good spot.

In terms of the other stories, things pretty much ended up as expected. Dental mom got taken care of and had a beautiful baby. Handsome dentist noticed Trixie, shockingly enough. Was Barbara expressing a little discontent at the idea of the movie over the restaurant? Not much on the new nurse, yet, other than a good Trixie fake-out.

ETA: The driving lesson was cute, but seemed a bit extraneous with all else going on. I skipped over the Turner nesting syndrome because I found it mostly boring.

ETAA: Forgot to mention SMJ telling Vera of the night she was born. Nice Sister Evangelina shout-out there.

Edited by DropTheSoap
remembered stuff
  • Love 4

I was semi-spoiled about Sister Monica Joan's plot but it was still devastating to watch. And that ECT room gave me the creeps. I've read some discussion here on previously tv about the treatment after Carrie Fisher had died - apparently it's still used in severe cases (I had had no idea). But today's method is much improved and I don't think Sister MC matched the criteria - it also didn't look as if something like 'informed consent' was involved *shudders* So the mother-house placed her in Linchmere without letting anyone know. That's harsh but it was probably done due to the stigma surrounding mental illness.

The introduction of good-looking dentist wasn't exactly subtle, but Trixie deserves a bit of fun. Dental Mom gave them a hilarious eye-roll while they were ust-bickering in the scene after her impromptu dental check (blink and you miss it - good job by the actress).

While it was just a tiny side-plot I absolutely loved the faces of Sister Julienne and Nurse Crane during the scene with Sister Winifred and her unflappable enthusiasm for driving lessons.

• Love 5

I was really glad they added the lighter scenes such as Sister Winifred, the women sharing biscuits and Sheilagh and the doc finding a new home. Obviously Call the Midwife usually addresses tough issues but vulnerable people struggling after the loss of their sole carer and people with mental health issues being poorly treated through ignorance is as relevant today as it was then. I do think the ending with Fred's cousin was a bit unrealistic but we did need the happy ending. 

• Love 4

They did mention that places like the one they found for Reggie were still pretty rare. It was certainly nicer than the place Jacob and the girl he got into trouble back in season 3 were staying. I was more wondering who was going to pay the fees since it looked pricey. Fred and Violet don't seem to make that much money. But maybe his mother had left some money for that purpose. The plot brought back memories - I remember my mother taking me once to see an old acquaintance. The lady had a daughter my age who had the most marvelous dollhouse and an insane amount of toys. I played with her the whole afternoon and we had a great time. Later when I was old enough to understand my mother told me that the girl had had Down Syndrome. She was her mother's everything (Dad I think had left) and she grew up a similar to Reggie, very sheltered and protected. I often wonder what has happened to her.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3

I loved Violet in this episode.  I mean, I always enjoyed her; but I loved seeing her struggle with wanting to do right by Reggie but also caring for him so quickly that she wasn't sure she could let him go (& grow).  That was lovely.

Less lovely was seeing Sister Mary Cynthia in the hospital.  And Sister Monica Joan's reaction killed me.  It doesn't seem like Sister MC is doing any better than when she left, so I wasn't surprised that ECT was encouraged--but it scared me.  Will it actually help her?  IDK, but I want her back home soon!  I think Sister Julienne will come up with a plan for that.

Trixie's dapper dentist is quite fetching!  I like their interactions so far, especially during clinic time and when they helped the woman with major gum disease deliver her baby.  Of course he went right for the gas!  

Sister Winifred--does she want to learn to drive to be of more help to her patients…or so she can drive to the movies?  Time will tell.  I'm sure it's the former, but the latter will be a happy accident.

• Love 6

The Loneliness of A Long Distance Runner as a Date Movie?????  Tom, Tom, Tom........    I love the movie (Tom Courtney, sigh) but it's hardly going to inspire togetherness, happiness, or passion in your date!

• Love 2

If Sr MC had deep depression or even psychotic depression ECT will help. I am a MH Nurse and we have at least 4 pts a week having ECT. It is done under aanesthesia in a theatre. Results are excellent in most cases.

• Love 5

The anvils dropped pretty hard amid the [foreboding music] and the [melancholic music].

I love Reggie's mom! Instant memories of family friends like her in 1962, when I was four.

Trixie's dentist looks a fair bit like an ex SO of mine, so that is going to be tough to watch.

And I nearly stopped watching when I saw Sister Mary Cynthia and then knew they would try ECT.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm sorry but Trixie's eyes look like they're about to pop out of her head.  I just find her difficult to look at, even though I think she's attractive. 

I feel so sad for Sister Mary Cynthia, but at least I got to be happy for Reggie.  

Oh, and I'm happy about the Turners' new home!

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

I'm sorry but Trixie's eyes look like they're about to pop out of her head.  I just find her difficult to look at, even though I think she's attractive. 

I feel so sad for Sister Mary Cynthia, but at least I got to be happy for Reggie.  

Helen George was on Come Strictly Dancing and lost weight. That's probably why her eyes pop. It might be why they wrote Keep Fit in -- to provide an explanation for Trixie's weight loss.

1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

When they first showed the dentist, I thought it was Tom.  Anyone else see the resemblance?

Yes, and I'll bet that the adopted Tom learns that they are related -- perhaps even siblings!

• Love 8

I kind of wanted Reggie to stay with Vi and Fred but the place he ended up at seemed a good fit for him.

Trixie and the dentist will be a good match.

Poor Sister Cynthia. I hope she gets better and comes back to Nonnatus House. I got a tear in my eye seeing her sitting alone on her bed with her bible in that cell like room. 

• Love 5

Christopher is so good-looking! I really hope we get to see more of him. I'm satisfied with the way Reggie's plotline was resolved. The scene between Sister Monica Joan and Valerie reminded me of my grandfather. He was an OBGYN (he had retired decades earlier, but he spent his last days in the ICU as a cancer patient). When he was in the hospital, some of nurses were people he had delivered. After he died, my grandmother recived many wonderful letters from former patients. (Sorry to go off topic)

Back to the topic at hand: What happened to make that women so fearful of the dentist. It seemed like she had been raped or sexually assaulted by a dentist. Her fear was far beyond a routine dental appointment.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Back to the topic at hand: What happened to make that women so fearful of the dentist. It seemed like she had been raped or sexually assaulted by a dentist. Her fear was far beyond a routine dental appointment.  

The dentist said that fear of going to the dentist is one of the top fears of a lot of people.  Dental phobia is a real thing.

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I grew up going to a dentist who did not use novacaine or gas or even a blunt instrument to the head to deal with the pain of any dental procedure.  I was able to overcome my fear as an adult, but I have a sibling who did not go to a dentist for about 10 years because she would become physically ill at the sight of a dental chair.  I imagine that woman had heard only horror stories of dentists.  At that time, poor people couldn't afford regular dental care and went only when the pain was so bad that wholesale extractions were the only option.  And even then, it was often dealt with in the home, as she was trying to get her husband to do.  My father, who grew up very, very poor in the Depression, never got any dental care as a child.  With the poor nutrition he experienced and no fluoride, he went through the loss of all his teeth in his mid 40s.  He made sure his kids went to a dentist once a year.  And we also had milk to drink every day - something he did not get as a kid.  Thank goodness the next generation, my nieces and nephews, are getting regular dental care that is painless.  Progress!

• Love 19
5 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

The dentist said that fear of going to the dentist is one of the top fears of a lot of people.  Dental phobia is a real thing.

As an otherwise rational person (for the most part), I can attest to dental phobia.  I would rather endure almost any other routine medical test or procedure than go to the dentist.  I do, however, take good care of my teeth, and I have an appointment on Wed.

I thought the rest of the episode was somewhat predictable, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  The young actor playing Reggie was quite sweet.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I grew up going to a dentist who did not use novacaine or gas or even a blunt instrument to the head to deal with the pain of any dental procedure.  I was able to overcome my fear as an adult, but I have a sibling who did not go to a dentist for about 10 years because she would become physically ill at the sight of a dental chair.  I imagine that woman had heard only horror stories of dentists.  At that time, poor people couldn't afford regular dental care and went only when the pain was so bad that wholesale extractions were the only option.  And even then, it was often dealt with in the home, as she was trying to get her husband to do.  My father, who grew up very, very poor in the Depression, never got any dental care as a child.  With the poor nutrition he experienced and no fluoride, he went through the loss of all his teeth in his mid 40s.  He made sure his kids went to a dentist once a year.  And we also had milk to drink every day - something he did not get as a kid.  Thank goodness the next generation, my nieces and nephews, are getting regular dental care that is painless.  Progress!

I never had Novocaine for a procedure until I was 14, in 1964, even though every single one of my molars, baby and adult, had come in with a cavity which had to be filled - something to do with my mom not eating well when she was pregnant with me (gained 8 pounds total) - and the drills in those days were not gentle and quiet like today's.  I hated the dentist worse than anything for the longest time, but with the better instruments and pain meds, it's no big deal now when I have to have something done once in a while.  Plus my hygienist of 28 years is the very best.  So I can easily imagine someone, especially back then, being terrified of dentists. 

• Hugs 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Less lovely was seeing Sister Mary Cynthia in the hospital.  And Sister Monica Joan's reaction killed me.

How did Sister Monica Joan know to look for Sister Mary Cynthia down that hall?  Was it Sister MJ's sixth sense due to having one foot in earth and the other in the world beyond?

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

How did Sister Monica Joan know to look for Sister Mary Cynthia down that hall?  Was it Sister MJ's sixth sense due to having one foot in earth and the other the world beyond?

I thought she glimpsed Sister Mary Cynthia out of the corner of her eye. My guess (which turned out to be totally wrong) was that Sister Monica Joan thought she recognized someone, but it would turn out to be someone else/a different person. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 2

If Sr MC had deep depression or even psychotic depression ECT will help. I am a MH Nurse and we have at least 4 pts a week having ECT. It is done under aanesthesia in a theatre. Results are excellent in most cases.

My sister had multiple sessions both inpatient and outpatient as pretty much a last resort. In addition to general anesthesia, they administered muscle relaxers so she wouldn't feel like she had whiplash. While there was some minor memory loss, she credits it with saving her life. It isn't as barbaric as it used to be, thank goodness.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, MaryHedwig said:

I am so stealing this line:

Sister Monica Joan, "Two head are better than one, especially if one of them is mine."

Can you imagine what a force Sister Monica Joan must have been when she was younger? I think she would have been in her 40s during WWI. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Sarah 103 said:

Can you imagine what a force Sister Monica Joan must have been when she was younger? I think she would have been in her 40s during WWI. 

I was trying to imagine both her and Sister Evangelina at a birth!   I wonder how old SMJ was when she retired as an active midwife. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Who chooses a narrow street crowded with cars and pedestrians as the location for first-time driving lesson with a manual transmission car?

Edited by Portia
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I wonder how old SMJ was when she retired as an active midwife. 

I'm bad at math, but if Sister Monica Joan helped deliver Valerie, then she was still an active midwife during the 1920s. Sister Monica Joan would have been in her late 40s or early 50s. (If Valerie was a young nurse during WWII, she probably would have born during the 1920s). 

1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

I kind of wanted Reggie to stay with Vi and Fred but the place he ended up at seemed a good fit for him.

I feel that if he had stayed, in another 10 years he might have needed to move again, so it really wouldn't have been a great solution. I hope Fred mentions visiting Reggie at least once. If this were real, they would probably bring him home for Christmas and occasional visits.

• Love 8

I think Violet and Fred found the best long term solution for Reggie.  Violet and Fred are older and as ItCouldBeWorse said in another 10 years other arrangements would need to be made for him.  They were able to take some time and place him in a wonderful facility rather than that horrible institution Fred and Sister MJ visited.  I loved Fred for insisting that there was no way in hell he would put Reggie in that hell hole.  Reggie has become a part of Violet and Fred's lives and they will have him come home to visit them and they will visit him.  Reggie will be able to grow up and have friends his own age and still have a home with his aunt and uncle.  

• Love 15
(edited)

Forgot to add, I loved Barbara's and Trixies date frocks.  That color was perfect for Barbara, and Trixie looked glamorous, as expected.

And since their seamstress just died, I hope they start availing themselves of the services of the new mother with Dwarfism.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 19
(edited)
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I'm bad at math, but if Sister Monica Joan helped deliver Valerie, then she was still an active midwife during the 1920s. Sister Monica Joan would have been in her late 40s or early 50s. (If Valerie was a young nurse during WWII, she probably would have born during the 1920s). 

Has it been said Valerie was a nurse during WW2? Don't forget UK took part in the Korean War, so that could impact age calculations.  People forgetting about Korea use to tick my dad off so much (he was in the navy during that time), but so many people do it, if they ever even knew about it.

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 2

OMG, that woman's teeth were horrific (I thought David Thewliss' teeth on "Fargo" looked bad)! Her breath must have smelled so bad, it's a wonder her husband got close enough to make that new baby. Didn't she know how to brush her teeth? Sister Winifred, with her big smile, was perfect for the dental hygiene fairy job.

Reggie was such a sweetie. No wonder Violet fell in love with him. Fred is such a mensch.

• Love 7
(edited)
12 minutes ago, JeanneH said:

Has it been said Valerie was a nurse during WW2? Don't forget UK took part in the Korean War, so that could impact age calculations.  People forgetting about Korea use to tick my dad off so much (he was in the navy during that time), but so many people do it, if they ever even knew about it.

It wasn't explicitly stated, but the way she descibed the way she was recuited to be a nurse made it seem like it was part of a nationwide mobilization, which would indicate WWII as opposed to Korea, and that's why I based my numbers off WWII. Again, I'm also bad at math, so my age calcuations could be totally off.  

Edited by Sarah 103
Just now, Sarah 103 said:

It wasn't explicitly stated, but the way she descibed the way she was recuited to be a nurse made it seem like it was part of a nationwide mobilization, which would indicate WWII as opposed to Korea, and that's why I based my numbers off WWII as opposed to Korea. Again, I'm also bad at math, so my age calcuations could be totally off.  

I think your age calculations are spot on for WW2. Your math is at least as good as my math is :)

I guess I was looking for something specific regarding which war, so I decided to see when Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps, which I believe Valerie said she'd served in, was founded.  It turns out Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service was established in 1902, then became an Army Corps and renamed as the Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps in 1949.  Still too close to call - was Valerie serving during WW2, in which case the writers erred, or was Valerie in QARANC by intent, which would mean Korea and not WW2. I guess the only way to know for certain is for someone to come right out and say "Valerie served in World War 2".

• Love 1

I was really worried this was going to be a completely depressing episode, when those two bullies went up to Reggie, I held my breath I was so worried. 

• Love 1

When we first saw Sister Mary Cynthia walking weakly and with that white thing on her head, I thought she'd been lobotomized. Was that treatment pretty much out of favor by 1962?

If Valerie was a young nurse during WWII, she probably would have born during the 1920s

Since we know this was 1962 I highly doubt Valerie was in WWII.  More likely Korea.  My mom was a nurse in WWII and was born in 1918 and was still in nursing school when recruited.  So that would make Valerie at least 44.  Sorry, she doesn't look that old.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, J-Man said:

When we first saw Sister Mary Cynthia walking weakly and with that white thing on her head, I thought she'd been lobotomized. Was that treatment pretty much out of favor by 1962?

I believe the nuns always kept their hair covered in public. We've seen the same basic cap when Sister Julienne has taken off her veil.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

When they first showed the dentist, I thought it was Tom.  Anyone else see the resemblance?

Yes, and I'll bet that the adopted Tom learns that they are related -- perhaps even siblings!

Yes to the resemblance, definitely.  But interesting idea that he and Tom turn out to be siblings; I never thought of that but they did include a mention of the adoption in the "previously on" and most of the time when a show does that it's because they're not done with that story line.   Maybe it's not where the show is going but if it is that would be very interesting both for Tom and for Barbara and Trixie.

Even though the death of Reggie's mom was well telegraphed from the start it still got to me especially when they came to tell Reggie.  I thought Fred and Violet might keep Reggie but he wound up in a good place and I can see him showing up again - that they'll either visit him often to keep in touch or maybe even bring him to visit them on a special occasion.

I said on the boards for last weeks episode that the real Mary Cynthia was given ECT but that was just a comparison of books to the show; I never, ever thought they'd actually go there on the show itself.  I'm committed to staying spoiler free so I can enjoy the show's weekly but this is one of those plot lines that makes it really, really tempting to search to see how it turns out.

I think Sister Monica Joan really shined in this one; insisting on seeing the institution with Fred, her face when she looked through the window and SMC, the crying in the car.  Talking to Reggie about the dead roses.  And when she revealed that she delivered Valerie where she had this mix of emotions on her face, sad at remembering she worked with Sister Evangelina, happy at seeing the baby all grown and at the same time affected by realizing the passing of time from then to now.

• Love 6
(edited)
12 hours ago, clarkbar said:

I thought the rest of the episode was somewhat predictable, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  

I agree! I found this episode so very very predictable. Don't get me wrong it was an enjoyable way to spend 45min, but I did find all the storylines predictable.

13 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Christopher is so good-looking! I really hope we get to see more of him. 

I'm conflicted with Christopher. He is good looking and for that shallow reason I would like to see more of him; however, if he's not going to be Trixie's end game then I do not want the writers to spend lots of time on him or on him & Trixie dating. The writers spent so much time with Tom & Trixie that I honestly thought they would get back together last season.  I really don't need to see Trixie falling in love with another guy that doesn't go anywhere.

12 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

I am so stealing this line:

Sister Monica Joan, "Two heads are better than one, especially if one of them is mine."

I was talking with my mom and she said the exact same thing--- I'm stealing Sister Monica Joan's line of "Two opinions are better than one, particularly if one of them is mine." Sister Monica Joan really does have the best lines!

11 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Forgot to add, I loved Barbara's and Trixies date frocks.  That color was perfect for Barbara, and Trixie looked glamorous, as expected.

They both looked lovely; although, every time I see Trixie all dressed up I can't help but wonder how in the world she thought she would survive being a pastors wife. One really can't wear whatever they want when they are married to a pastor.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:51 PM, DHDancer said:

The Loneliness of A Long Distance Runner as a Date Movie?????  Tom, Tom, Tom........    I love the movie (Tom Courtney, sigh) but it's hardly going to inspire togetherness, happiness, or passion in your date!

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:11 PM, DropTheSoap said:

Was Barbara expressing a little discontent at the idea of the movie over the restaurant? 

Poor Barbara has Tom ever taken her on a romantic type of date? I really can't remember one, but then the writers never spent any time on their relationship. 

10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

OMG, that woman's teeth were horrific (I thought David Thewliss' teeth on "Fargo" looked bad)! Her breath must have smelled so bad, it's a wonder her husband got close enough to make that new baby. 

I actually gaged when Christopher looked into that woman's mouth. I'm with you her breath must have been rancid.  I might have brushed my teeth an extra time before going to bed and used mouthwash. Ugh those teeth.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 2

Judy Parfitt is a national goddamn treasure. All of her scenes were perfection. I started sniffling at the "I cut your cord" scene, got all 'aww' when she was showing Reggie what's what in the garden, punched the air when she declared her opinion quite valuable, and sobbed when she sobbed about 'mustering our cohorts.' Somebody give her some cake!

• Love 18
46 minutes ago, Fireball said:

I actually gaged when Christopher looked into that woman's mouth. I'm with you her breath must have been rancid.  I might have brushed my teeth an extra time before going to bed and used mouthwash. Ugh those teeth.

Her story line made me think of the Austin Powers movie.  

13 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

The anvils dropped pretty hard amid the [foreboding music] and the [melancholic music].

That [foreboding music] caption was a fake out.  It was there as Fred entered the house, which told me the whole thing was going to blow up instead of Fred turning off the oven and opening a window. 

• Love 4

I was really glad they added the lighter scenes such as Sister Winifred, the women sharing biscuits and Sheilagh and the doc finding a new home. Obviously Call the Midwife usually addresses tough issues but vulnerable people struggling after the loss of their sole carer and people with mental health issues being poorly treated through ignorance is as relevant today as it was then. I do think the ending with Fred's cousin was a bit unrealistic but we did need the happy ending. 

It wasn't necessarily always happy, since a lot of people were placed there against their will (we saw Reggie being happy about it, but not everyone was). It was definitely the best option for him at the time, but there is some pushback on them today. There's an article called "Farms for disabled people aren't a new idea" on the NOS magazine website that explores it further. I'm glad they did have Reggie take to gardening before he went there so he could really feel like he fit in. That entire storyline basically killed me start to finish.

• Love 1

Judy Parfitt is a national goddamn treasure. All of her scenes were perfection. I started sniffling at the "I cut your cord" scene, got all 'aww' when she was showing Reggie what's what in the garden, punched the air when she declared her opinion quite valuable, and sobbed when she sobbed about 'mustering our cohorts.' Somebody give her some cake!

Right? That was her episode, completely. It highlighted what is the most wonderful part of her character - that even when she isn't entirely sure of the facts of what's going on, she's completely tuned in to the emotional needs of the people around her and places primary importance on that.

• Love 8