Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Hostage Situation

AmandaPanda

Hannah provides cover for Marnie's secret weekender to Poughkeepsie, which she hopes will help clarify an old chapter in her life. Shoshanna enlists Elijah to be her plus-one at a networking event for young professional women, where Jessa's antics lead Shosh to reevaluate her post-college friendships.

Better episode than last week but still..

I hate everything about Desi and Marnie. Marnie who got back to being tolerable last season has now gone back into sick category. So Desi is a drug addict? And on OxyContin? Shouldn't he be a bit more entertaining then? All he does is crib and sing terrible songs. Marnie should never go back to her exs, all of them are on drugs! Watching Hannah and Marnie get rid of Desi horror movie style was funny as hell though. It reminded me when I love their friendship. And Hannah being insightful about being self centered? These were nice moments. 

Also Jessa is the damn worst too. She's just so cool for anything and everything, you guys. Ugh. I can't anymore. I'm assuming that's the point right? Sosh is realizing that Jessas just so cool for all and everything is actually really lame and a way to avoid responsibility and bailing on people last minute isn't a good thing to do. 

Also YES!!! Someone called Jessa on her bs! Ruining Soshos networking event and dating Adam!!!!! Holy wow. Also to sosh too! Oh my god. It was like the sort of scene that happened in Gilmore Girls when Emily called out Lorelei for all her BS. Jessa sucks. 

• Love 7

This episode convinced me the show is going somewhere.  Hannah both called Marnie out and owned her own garbage.  They are both so selfish they cannot see what is gong on with other people.  Desi is the worst in yet another way.  Of course he's an addict and he's so special he keeps his oxy in a mason jar.  He should have had another jar full of artisanal pickles in his brief case.

Shosh finally really seeing what a garbage fire Jessa is was also a good payoff, expecially since it was not about Jessa and Adam, it was about how Jessa treats people.  These friends are so often horrible friends.  It is good to see them realizing how their dynamics work.  In the rest of the season/series, maybe they'll work on fixing them.   

• Love 15

I dunno, but I found Shosh blaming Jess for her own lack of success a bit immature. The only reason she was interested in seeing her former friends was because they were successful, and she feels like she's not.

The mature response to all of that drama would have been to own up to her own desire to hang with her cousin caused her to make a choice she had come to regret. 

This episode did succeed in making me laugh a few times. 

• Love 11

Shosh can't blame Jessa for her decisions in the past, but I think she was just venting and needed to tell her off, regardless of how much sense she made. Jessa always wants everyone to feel inferior, boring and uncool and she has done that to Shosh in particular. Shosh was younger and impressionable and it's no wonder she used to drop everything for Jessa. Now that she's more independent, Jessa can only deal with her cousin's growth and interests by mocking her. If she really cared so little, she would not show up uninvited to an event that is the symbol of everything she despises. 

The one thing that is a bit unfair is saying Jessa "stole" Adam. First, that's not a thing. People cannot be stolen and Adam pursued her very intensely. Second, Adam and Hanna were broken up. However, she absolutely should have been more honest about it. At the end of the day, he mattered more to her than hurting her friend's feelings. She chose Adam over Hanna and should not be surprised that the entire group of friends would have a reaction. Hanna can be insufferable, but she's less of a flake and more loyal. They have good reason to side with her.

Shoshanna needs to be more self aware in regards to her insecurity about success and not blame it all on someone else. This has been a theme with her forever: when she graduated late, when she couldn't find a job, when she left for Japan and couldn't handle coming back. But, I think she is taking the right step removing Jessa from her life. They will always be family, but they don't have to be friends, especially if having Jessa around only ever makes her feel bad.

• Love 10

I liked this episode. I thought the Shoshanna, Jessa, and Elijah were a fun and unusual pairing. It was interesting seeing Elijah defend Hannah too.

That said, what did Jessa do that was so horrible? She rolled her eyes. She stole a plate, probably unintentionally. I can't blame her. Those girls were the worst.

I love that Shosh has ambition and cares. She is not a cynic, bless her. But Jessa did not ruin her chances with those women.

I liked the horror/cabin scene. It lightened up what could have been too scary. I laughed out loud a few times. And Hannah was actually effective. She is always better when she is with Marnie. Marnie is that awful.

I hope Ray moves on. Back to Shosh.

• Love 7

I agree that Jessa didn't do anything seemingly horrible.  Sure, she took a plate and loaded up on free food.  No harm, no foul.  And those women were the worst.  Also, Jessa is not to blame for Shosh's decision to skip the trip to Aruba.  However, Jessa wants people to not succeed.  She is so quick to criticize everyone and everything that she cannot be supportive.   She might not give a damn about Jamba Jeans (a wonderfully terrible name) but Shosh does.  Or at least Shosh cares about building a career and feeling successful on her terms.  Jessa had a choice to either build Shosh up or put her down.  In attacking the people that she looked up to  and treating Shosh like she was a fool for caring, she cut her down.  Shosh already felt terrible.  Jessa poured salt in the wound. 

Shosh is very far from perfect (as are they all), but she has previously realized that she expected life to be so much easier than it is.  She has shown some growth.  I expect she'll realize she is responsible for her own choices. 

I did love Elijah's Shosh impersonation and Marnie and Hannah both yelling at Desi to shut up.   

• Love 7

I thought it was a great episode from start to finish. Desi interrupting Marnie's post-orgasmic self-loathing because he's still hard, Hannah's exchange with Joy Bryant at the antiques store, the Oxy in the mason jar, the horror-movie-style scene with Marnie, Desi, and Hannah, the bullshit female entrepreneurs' meet-up (I've been to a few myself), and best of all Shosh telling Jessa off. The only thing missing was a Ray scene, but I'm sure he'll have plenty to say next week when Shosh tells him about Marnie and Desi.

• Love 11

I agree that Jessa didn't do anything seemingly horrible.  Sure, she took a plate and loaded up on free food.  No harm, no foul.  And those women were the worst.  Also, Jessa is not to blame for Shosh's decision to skip the trip to Aruba.  However, Jessa wants people to not succeed.  She is so quick to criticize everyone and everything that she cannot be supportive.   She might not give a damn about Jamba Jeans (a wonderfully terrible name) but Shosh does.  Or at least Shosh cares about building a career and feeling successful on her terms.  Jessa had a choice to either build Shosh up or put her down.  In attacking the people that she looked up to  and treating Shosh like she was a fool for caring, she cut her down.  Shosh already felt terrible.  Jessa poured salt in the wound. 

Shosh is very far from perfect (as are they all), but she has previously realized that she expected life to be so much easier than it is.  She has shown some growth.  I expect she'll realize she is responsible for her own choices. 

I did love Elijah's Shosh impersonation and Marnie and Hannah both yelling at Desi to shut up.   

I don't think it was about Jessa's behaviour that night in particular but more so the culmination of her terrible, self involved behaviour throughout the series.

• Love 11

Well everyone is right.  Shosh knows Jessa is a fraud but Jessa was right about those women, who want to punish Shosh over something that happened in college?

Even Desi is right that Marni was oblivious to his drug problem.

What was Elijah mouthing to that guy?

What did Hannah say about Desi looking like some Northwest what?

• Love 1

I thought it was a great episode from start to finish. Desi interrupting Marnie's post-orgasmic self-loathing because he's still hard, Hannah's exchange with Joy Bryant at the antiques store, the Oxy in the mason jar, the horror-movie-style scene with Marnie, Desi, and Hannah, the bullshit female entrepreneurs' meet-up (I've been to a few myself), and best of all Shosh telling Jessa off. The only thing missing was a Ray scene, but I'm sure he'll have plenty to say next week when Shosh tells him about Marnie and Desi.

Agree and also loved Elijah's costumes (first the shirt only then was that a white tennis outfit he wore to the Girl entrepreneurs thing?) and commentary.

• Love 3

I really liked this episode, and I actually really liked Hannah throughout. And for the first time, I believed they might--or at least she might--gain some self awareness and grow up to be an okay person. Realizing you actually don't know anything is usually the first step toward a little bit of maturity. And I loved her admonition to Marnie (who is the worst) that being so self involved meant that you often missed clues about who other people actually are...'and I would know'...that was awesome, and smart and grown up. And maybe even Marnie got it.

And I wasn't mad at Jessa at ALL this episode, and I think Shosh was the dumpster fire, myself. She was only mad that she missed out on a future empire, not about not being those (terrible, obnoxious) girls' friend. Jessa didn't force her to do anything. And also, Jessa has a point about Ray and Marnie...Ray is Shosh's ex, why does nobody care that Marnie is dating him, while hating on Jessa for Adam?

Elijah was also an asshole this episode, but I love him so much I didn't care. He and Hannah holding an entire conversation while he was Winnie-the-Poohing in only a "I survived the 3rd season of Ally McBeal' t shirt was the funniest thing I've seen in awhile, as was his Shosh impression.

I figured the Hannah would use the mythical tea set to bash Desi over the head, but she didn't. I was vaguely disappointed.

• Love 10

Desi screaming "Bitches and c*nts! Bitches and c*nts!" through the window while Hannah tried to hit him with a rubber spatula was one of the funniest things I've seen on this show in quite a while.

And Hannah owning up to the fact that she's self-involved and knows nothing was the most I have liked her in about three seasons.  Well done, show.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, scrb said:

Even Desi is right that Marni was oblivious to his drug problem.

As terrible as Marni is - I can't entirely blame her for being oblivious to Desi's drug problems. True, she's incredibly self-centered so she should have realized something was up. But then she also doesn't really know him well. He's been weird their whole relationship. Trying to determine "normal Desi weird" from "Desi is addicted to oxy weird" would be difficult. And I assume he was trying to hide it. Although not very well because a mason jar full of pills in an otherwise empty briefcase would create weird sounds. 

• Love 7

Desi's triumphant "Fuck yeah!" when Marnie asked him if he was high at their wedding was awesome.

Jessa is the absolute worst, so while it's true that Shosh made a conscious decision that wasn't Jessa's fault, it was worth it to see Shosh scream at Jessa. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, luna1122 said:

And also, Jessa has a point about Ray and Marnie...Ray is Shosh's ex, why does nobody care that Marnie is dating him, while hating on Jessa for Adam?

I could be misremembering, but I don't think Shoshanna still had feelings for Ray at the time he started up with Marnie, or that Marnie lied or acted like a defiant asshole about it. Plus, Marnie and Shosh were never close friends the way Hannah and Jessa were. Jessa gets no sympathy from me on the Adam front; her choices were a total affront to Hannah and their friendship.  

Agree with those who think this was a solid episode. I hate Desi but that awful sex scene and his Oxy breakdown were pretty amusing. Hannah appears to be growing up, finally. 

• Love 5

While self-involved, Marnie has a sort of child/princess-like naivety.  She didn't realize what Charlie was up to until the needle fell out of his pants.  She looked at that mason jar of pills (such a Desi way to store opioids) and honestly had no clue what they were and looked for a rational answer.  Then, the truth hit her.  He's been high the entire time, including their wedding day.

Shosh knows the truth about Marnie/Desi --- wonder if she'll tell Ray?

18 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Inside the episode:

Thanks for sharing that.  I did enjoy how the cabin scenes had a genre-feel to them.

• Love 1

As soon as Hannah asked about the tea set, I sadly knew it was a goner. It's like Chekhov's gun - how long is it gonna take before Hannah breaks something? This is why we can't have nice things!

Her line about Desi looking like a man someone from the Pacific Northwest knit was hilarious.

And Elijah in the black t-shirt now has me desperately wanting a crossover ep with IASIP so he and Mac can hook up.

• Love 1

Oh my God guys, an episode of Girls that I actually, un ironically loved? What kind of crazed alternate reality is this?!?!

For real though, this episode was hilarious, and the characters actually showed a bit of self awareness this week, at least more so then usual. Even Marnie seemed like he might have had a minor break through, in between her oxy cotton ex boyfriend turning into an 80s slasher movie villain and laying on the floor crying and making Hannah look like a mature adult in comparison. Hannah was actually really likable here, and her and Marnie reconnecting was nice to watch. And the revaluation that Desi was an oxi cotton addict is darkly hilarious, just because he is so over the top about it. For a second, I thought him freaking out about being high at his wedding was just in Marnies head, but, no, he is just that nuts. And him going full on movie villain was amazing, I couldn't stop laughing. "He`s like a man someone in the Pacific Northwest knitted."

Hey, they actually acknowledged that Jessa and Shosh are related! And that she is who introduced Shosh to the rest of the gang! I'm really not sure who was worst here, because they both frequently suck, but, this time, I'm leanings towards "both of you need to pull a Hannah/Marnie and reevaluate some stuff". Jessa and her constant too cool for school attitude is a giant pain and makes me wonder why anyone wants to hang out with her for longer than a night, and Shosh cant really blame Jessa for her dumping her friends. Granted, her ex friends seem really crappy, but still, that's on Shosh. Besides, you know Shosh just wanted to stick with them because of their successful jean company. I do have to say though, I got a lot of laughs at that Women's Entrepreneur Mixer. I've been to a few of those with my fellow 20 something women, and...yeah. It can be kind of like that. That whole conversation about someone having an awesome Snapchat story is totally a conversation I have heard or been involved in.

Also, that song at the end was great. My only complaint? No Ray. Everything is better than Ray.

• Love 2

FWIW, my ex-boyfriend was high on coke for most of our relationship and I had no idea.  I just thought he drank a lot of Red Bull.  My friends don't do drugs and I never hung around people who did them, so I had no clue what the signs looked like.  Except for Shosh's crackcident, Hannah trying cocaine and Charlie with the heroin, regular hard drug use isn't really a central theme in this show (thankfully) so it made sense to me that Marnie was clueless to Desi's thing with oxy because I was clueless too.  I wouldn't have known otherwise.  That being said, I felt SO STUPID when I finally figured it out.  I still feel stupid about it and it was ages ago. 

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

FWIW, my ex-boyfriend was high on coke for most of our relationship and I had no idea.  ... That being said, I felt SO STUPID when I finally figured it out.  I still feel stupid about it and it was ages ago. 

Don't feel bad; you had no baseline of normal to compare his behavior to.  Some people are naturally high strung, and how could you know any differently?  Addicts go through great lengths to hide their usage, and most people close to them aren't aware what's really going on.  ...BTW, love you term "crackcident", lol.

Like many others, I loved this episode.  It may have even been my favorite Girls of all time.  The scenes were hilarious, starting with Desi's gold chain dangling in Marnie's face during sex.  Hannah was surprisingly sane, and Jessa got called out on her continuously horrible behavior (more of this, please).  Marnie & Shishona made important realizations about particularly unhealthy relationships, Hannah dispensed some unusually sound advice, and Elijah had his normal zingers (he always has the best lines in the show, love-love-love his character, I never know what he will say next but it's always hilarious).  I missed Ray, but as pointed out, I am sure he will have a lot to say next week when Shosh reveals to him that Marnie has been unfaithful.  

• Love 7

Regarding Jessa's too-cool-for-school act: I watched the cast on The Actor's Studio. Is it possible the actress has a bit of that going on, too? Lena Dunham had to choose a "most proud of" Jessa scene to submit. Is that because Jemima couldn't be bothered?

Not trying to be a hater. Maybe it's a testament   to how talented she is, if I can't separate the character from the actress. But she really seemed aloof on The Actor's Studio. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Snewtsie said:

...BTW, love you term "crackcident", lol.

I wish I could take credit, but I think LD thought that one up :)  And thank you for your kind words about not feeling bad.  He was seriously such a weirdo.  Now I know why he was running his tongue over his teeth all the time!!

• Love 3

Loved last week's episode and loved this week's even more. I'm going to have withdrawal problems when the series ends for good for I have always. faithfully loved it the entire time to the bemusement of my friends. 

Shoshana was actually furious the first time she learned about Marnie and Ray but got over it because she's the one who had pushed him away and she felt bad about it. They were good friends by the time he and Marnie hooked up the second time and over it. As someone above noted, Marnie and Shosh weren't exactly close unlike Hanna and Jessa and Hanna was still in love with Adam. I used to like Jessa, but now, not so much. I also give Shoshanna a pass about her resentment toward Jessa because she is a few years younger than the other girls.

I'm afraid to find out how many episodes are left!

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

As soon as Hannah asked about the tea set, I sadly knew it was a goner. It's like Chekhov's gun - how long is it gonna take before Hannah breaks something? This is why we can't have nice things!

Her line about Desi looking like a man someone from the Pacific Northwest knit was hilarious.

And Elijah in the black t-shirt now has me desperately wanting a crossover ep with IASIP so he and Mac can hook up.

As they were driving off I kept waiting for the scene cut to the tea set being left at the house that they were staying in. I'm surprised Hanna got it packed up to go home with her. 

6 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Regarding Jessa's too-cool-for-school act: I watched the cast on The Actor's Studio. Is it possible the actress has a bit of that going on, too? Lena Dunham had to choose a "most proud of" Jessa scene to submit. Is that because Jemima couldn't be bothered?

Not trying to be a hater. Maybe it's a testament   to how talented she is, if I can't separate the character from the actress. But she really seemed aloof on The Actor's Studio. 

I saw that Actors Studio show too and like you was perplexed as to why Ms Kirke couldn't choose a scene and then just kid of shrugged it off when Ms Dunham called her out on not answering her email. You might be onto something with your line of thought. 

• Love 2

I always had the impression that Jessa is just a thinly veiled reference to Jemima. She and Lena Dunham come from the same pretentious/privileged/nepotistic NYC circles, they went to the same private school and liberal arts college. Jemima was never an actress and only joined Girls because Lena asked her to; she wanted to quit after the first season and Lena had to talk her into staying. She always acts like she's above it all - exactly the same attitude Jessa has. I know Alison Williams and Zosia Mamet also got their roles due to nepotism, but at least they seem genuinely excited about the show and have pursued other acting opportunities. Jemima just acts like she's doing everyone a favor.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

As they were driving off I kept waiting for the scene cut to the tea set being left at the house that they were staying in. I'm surprised Hanna got it packed up to go home with her. 

Didn't it get broken when Desi tried to come in the window?  I doubt she'd pack the broken bits. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I always had the impression that Jessa is just a thinly veiled reference to Jemima. She and Lena Dunham come from the same pretentious/privileged/nepotistic NYC circles, they went to the same private school and liberal arts college. Jemima was never an actress and only joined Girls because Lena asked her to; she wanted to quit after the first season and Lena had to talk her into staying. She always acts like she's above it all - exactly the same attitude Jessa has. I know Alison Williams and Zosia Mamet also got their roles due to nepotism, but at least they seem genuinely excited about the show and have pursued other acting opportunities. Jemima just acts like she's doing everyone a favor.

I remember reading years ago that Jemima mostly does paintings (shes done alot of portraits for well known celebs such as Liv Tyler). Acting  may not be her thing or she just could be doing it for some quick cash. 

Everytime they cut to Shosh, I could swear her hoop earrings looked bigger than a moment earlier.

I truly thought she was going to get them caught on something and either comically get stuck, or have them get torn out of her ears. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, EdnasEdibles said:

As terrible as Marni is - I can't entirely blame her for being oblivious to Desi's drug problems. True, she's incredibly self-centered so she should have realized something was up. But then she also doesn't really know him well. He's been weird their whole relationship. Trying to determine "normal Desi weird" from "Desi is addicted to oxy weird" would be difficult. And I assume he was trying to hide it. Although not very well because a mason jar full of pills in an otherwise empty briefcase would create weird sounds. 

I think it also had one other item in it...a pencil, maybe?  LOL

9 hours ago, Snewtsie said:

BTW, love you term "crackcident", lol.

It comes from the title of a Season 1 episode in which Shoshanna accidentally smokes crack:

http://girls.wikia.com/wiki/Welcome_to_Bushwick_a.k.a._The_Crackcident

• Love 2
5 hours ago, novemberjenny said:

Desi screaming "WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS FUCKING CUNT PARADE???" may be the best line of the entire series ?

That whole sequence was comedy gold. I just about lost it when Desi was screaming about bitches and sluts while Hannah was fending him off with a spatula.

• Love 4

On a more shallow point I do like Jessa's new hair length.  Much fresher.

I think the fact that Jessa couldn't bear to read Hannnah's article is very telling.  She was nervous with a bit of shame.  On the other hand I do think Jessa and Adam love each other.  Adam and Jessa are right in a way he never was with Hannah.  So Jessa has to work through the shame of falling in love with the right guy at the wrong time.  Of course she will get defensive and ballsy.  She will only show her true face to Adam.  

Everyone else treated Hannah's article like it was entertainment or a triumph for her.  Except her mother who called someone an asshole.   For Jessa it was embarrassing.   And maybe even for Adam but I think he cares a bit less.  She should maybe feel a bit abashed but I hate that the others tried to shame her.  Who is Elijah to judge her?

• Love 6
5 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Not entirely surprising that Desi turned out to be a drug addict. I mean, he was all over the place. I just wonder whether they had told the actor that his character was high all the time when he got the part or whether they just threw it in to make sense of his overacting.

I think your theory is quite likely: they just threw it in to make sense of his overacting.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Seriously, I love the character and he cracks me up, but Elijah is just a series of awful decisions, one after another.

I love Elijah too but he rarely gets a sincere moment.  He gets the punchlines.  I felt for him when he took that news anchor too seriously.   

• Love 8

Another good ep! But I love everything Hannah. I make no apologies. And this episode reinforced that Hannah and Marnie are the love story. I have NO problem with that.

The only bone I have to pick is with annoying Shosh. SHE made the choice to not go to Aruba.  Jessa may have dangled the carrot in front of her face (meeting the boy she had a crush on who of course never showed) but Shosh made the decision not to go to Aruba. She says she wants to be an adult? Well then -- own your shit.

Edited by taanja
because spelling matters
  • Love 1
On 2/20/2017 at 10:17 AM, stagmania said:

I could be misremembering, but I don't think Shoshanna still had feelings for Ray at the time he started up with Marnie, or that Marnie lied or acted like a defiant asshole about it. Plus, Marnie and Shosh were never close friends the way Hannah and Jessa were. Jessa gets no sympathy from me on the Adam front; her choices were a total affront to Hannah and their friendship.  

Agree with those who think this was a solid episode. I hate Desi but that awful sex scene and his Oxy breakdown were pretty amusing. Hannah appears to be growing up, finally. 

Hannah didn't have feelings for Adam by that time, either. It was her choice not to get back together with him, and that was at least a year before Jessa made a move on Adam. Hannah was in a serious relationship with someone else by then. I don't get why it's any different either.

• Love 5

This was my favorite episode in a long time. I love the ridiculousness that is Desi. Of course he is an OxyContin addict ? I am happy to see Hannah becoming more self aware. Hopefully Marnie follows suit. I don't need this final season to wrap up everything with a neat bow, but I would love to see some growth.

Side note: I love Elijah but he is the sassy come back guy. I feel like he isn't part of the group, he's just there for comic relief. 

• Love 2