Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E13: Keep Going

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

Oh show...why do you always make me cry at the end?  I loved this Jimmy-centric episode.  I'm surprised I didn't think of the car the guy cut off being the killer.  (This is shocking because I'm always ahead and sometimes it hinders my enjoyment).  

I liked it being mostly Jimmy with the rest of the cast in the background.

• Love 18

It was a bit of a clip show, but probably one of the best clip shows I've seen. Captain and his screw-up son are driving, he steps out of the car for an ATM, and gets nailed by a hit-and-run. Son runs and ends up on a ledge, ready to jump. Palmer sees him and impulsively gets out on the ledge and grabs his belt to keep him there. He spends the rest of the show out there, trying to talk him down, while Gibbs etc figure out why the dad died. Clips from earlier shows pop up as Jimmy is giving the young man first a stream of cliches (hilarious!), then some life lessons. Core is his love of his friends, his utter respect of Gibbs especially in light of his tragic family losses, and his desire to be happy, even foregoing a better job since he has passed his ME exam and is now a doctor, which no one at NCIS knows. Unknown to Jimmy, they had been bugging his conversation and his secrets are now out. It ends in Gibbs' basement with Jimmy babbling an apology for talking about his family, then Gibbs shuts him up with a hug (Jimmy had told the wannabe jumper that he had never gotten a Gibbs hug, unlike Abby). 

• Love 11

I haven't watched this show since the first episode this year but I will have to see this one on demand.  It sounds great.   I don't want Ducky to leave but I'm glad Jimmy finally made it as an ME.  Thanks for the synopsis Sharpie66.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

It was a bit of a clip show, but probably one of the best clip shows I've seen. Captain and his screw-up son are driving, he steps out of the car for an ATM, and gets nailed by a hit-and-run. Son runs and ends up on a ledge, ready to jump. Palmer sees him and impulsively gets out on the ledge and grabs his belt to keep him there. He spends the rest of the show out there, trying to talk him down, while Gibbs etc figure out why the dad died. Clips from earlier shows pop up as Jimmy is giving the young man first a stream of cliches (hilarious!), then some life lessons. Core is his love of his friends, his utter respect of Gibbs especially in light of his tragic family losses, and his desire to be happy, even foregoing a better job since he has passed his ME exam and is now a doctor, which no one at NCIS knows. Unknown to Jimmy, they had been bugging his conversation and his secrets are now out. It ends in Gibbs' basement with Jimmy babbling an apology for talking about his family, then Gibbs shuts him up with a hug (Jimmy had told the wannabe jumper that he had never gotten a Gibbs hug, unlike Abby). 

That string of cliches was also a bit of a flashback to season 4 episode Sandblast where Tony was talking to the victim's teenage son.  Is Tim the only character who has never made a pilgrimage to the basement?  

I love that Jimmy is finally Dr Palmer

Edited by pally
  • Love 4

I loved the show, and then, just as Jimmy talked about his passing the test on the third try, that this is making a path for Ducky to leave.  

I will admit to watching Man from U.N.C.L.E. to watch Ilya K, and when I see Ducky, it's with warm fuzzy feelings.

• Love 5

I loved this episode, although I knew immediately that the hit and run driver was the guy who was cut off. It just seemed obvious to me, and then I hoped there was something more complicated than that, with the whole conflict with his coworker, but no such luck. I suppose that wasn't really the point of the episode, though.

I'm confused though - once someone graduates medical school with an MD, they are allowed to be called 'doctor'. They don't need to pass the board exams for their specialty in order to get that honour. It doesn't really explain why suddenly Ducky called him 'Dr Palmer'. I did love Abby running into MTAC and starting off with 'first, you need to give Jimmy a raise' and Bishop seconding it, and then Gibbs agreeing without so much as blinking.

I agree though that they are setting things up for Ducky to leave, or at least to cut back his hours. This makes me sad.

Loved the hug from Gibbs at the end, referring to earlier when Jimmy commented that Gibbs doesn't hug him.

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, secnarf said:

they are setting things up for Ducky to leave, or at least to cut back his hours. This makes me sad.

True enough...but how appropriate that Ducky was the very FIRST to address Jimmy as "Dr. Palmer". 

• Love 17

I'm confused though - once someone graduates medical school with an MD, they are allowed to be called 'doctor'. They don't need to pass the board exams for their specialty in order to get that honour. It doesn't really explain why suddenly Ducky called him 'Dr Palmer'.

Agreed. I had theorized that Palmer had his MD for a long time, and that Ducky was using the British term, referring to a surgeon (as opposed to a medical doctor) as "Mr." instead of "Dr." 

• Love 5

This episode was fantastic!  I've always been a Palmer fan, but this episode took it to the next level.  My only quibble--and it is a small one--is that McGee was still in the background.  The interpersonal and long standing relationships and how the case of the week weaves through that is what makes NCIS stand out.

It is no coincidence that what made tonight's interweaving so effective is that it strongly pulled from the longest term characters--Palmer, Ducky, Gibbs, and Abby--who have the history to make it all real and poignant.  McGee seemed a bit shorted, but the newbies were relegated to supporting roles, and...I think they learned from it.

Nicely done, show, nicely done.  That's two in a row.  Keep it up.

• Love 10

Was about to say the same thing.  Two excellent episodes in a row.   Keep going...as it they say.  ;)

It was difficult for me to watch this at times.  I am really, really afraid of heights.  So I had to look away a lot of the time when they panned down to the street below.  Kept trying to tell myself, "they're not really on that building, it's just a movie set....it's just a movie set...it's just a movie set.."   :P  Other than that, there was a lot of good stuff in this episode.   But of course, Palmer was the star of this one.

Really liked his interaction with young man.  I thought it revealed a lot about him we didn't know.  That he really worried about Gibbs and all the baggage he carries.  That he took the ME exam 3 times and eventually passed (yay!).  And that he didn't wish to tell anyone for fearing he would upset the work environment that he truly loves.  And have to admit, I was misty-eyed at the end when Gibbs gave him that hug. (awwww!)

I really hope Tony comes back for an episode or two.  I want to hear him great Palmer with his little "Autopsy Gremlin" remark.  And then have Palmer retort, "That's DOCTOR Autopsy Gremlin to you!".   ;)

• Love 18

He was there in there  Season 4 premier. When Ziva was accused of terrorism and on the run. Gibbs was still in Mexico and the others were trying to figure out how to exonerate Ziva without getting arrested themselves. 

• Love 3

I loved this episode!  I've always liked Jimmy, ever since his interaction with Ducky when he got the assistant job (which was flash-backed tonight, too).  I haven't really watched since the third episode this season, I just couldn't get with the new characters.  I don't really care for the newbies (except Clayton, but I wasn't sure he was even going to show up after episode 3, so I stopped watching).  I'll binge the season at a later date, but I wanted to watch this one.

I know we all agree Mark Harmon's acting is wonderful.  His facial expressions say so much (which is maybe why the writers always have him not speak :) ).  When Jimmy was talking about Gibbs, that whole scene of him pacing in the office, it said a lot.

I was very impressed with Brian Dietzen's acting, too.  As comic relief, Jimmy doesn't do serious that often, but when he does, he brings it. 

9 hours ago, secnarf said:

I did love Abby running into MTAC and starting off with 'first, you need to give Jimmy a raise' and Bishop seconding it, and then Gibbs agreeing without so much as blinking.

I loved this!  And of course the hug.  I knew it was coming but it was still really nice to see.  I would love for Mark Harmon to hug me like that, too... ;) 

I thought "that stop sign is why he was hit" pretty early on.  I was ridiculously excited with myself that I called it. 

• Love 14

this may be an unpopular opinion but I really don't give a crap about Jimmy. He's just never been an interesting character for me and more of an annoyance than anything else. The only parts of the episode I actually liked were when he talked about Gibbs and his history. It was kind of telling that despite all of the supposed pimping of the relationship between Palmer and DiNozzo that there was no mention of that relationship or DiNozzo at all. And by the way, Gibbs has no control over what Jimmy is paid. His job falls under a different series than agent. In the federal gov't raises can't just be given out, he would have to apply for a new job or maybe his series may have a raise for passing his exams. Ducky or Gibbs could write up a request for a cash award but that's officially all.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JackONeill said:

For all you people with memories better than mine: Had Jimmy ever been to Gibbs' house before?

1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

He was there in there  Season 4 premier. When Ziva was accused of terrorism and on the run. Gibbs was still in Mexico and the others were trying to figure out how to exonerate Ziva without getting arrested themselves. 

He was also there after Ducky's heart attack.  I think the episode was Phoenix.  After Jimmy's rant, Ducky steps out of the shadows.

• Love 3

And by the way, Gibbs has no control over what Jimmy is paid. His job falls under a different series than agent. In the federal gov't raises can't just be given out, he would have to apply for a new job or maybe his series may have a raise for passing his exams. Ducky or Gibbs could write up a request for a cash award but that's officially all.

Actually, when Abby runs in she says "First, you need to put in for a raise for Jimmy" and Ellie seconds its.  She didn't say that Gibbs had the power to give Jimmy a raise himself.

I liked Ryan.  I would like to hear somewhere down the line that he and Jimmy are keeping in touch; they don't have to make a big deal out of it, just include a throwaway line of dialogue.

Edited by Mrs. Stanwyck
  • Love 7

I don't really watch NCIS anymore and wasn't planning on watching this, but put it on since ABC was a repeat and kept it on since it focused on Jimmy and I've always loved Pimmy Jalmer.  Great episode.

• Love 3

First episode ive  enjoyed in awhile.  I don't like the new people.  Sorry just don't.  Haven't watched the show regularly in a couple of seasons so I turned this on on a whim.  Awesome episode.  Jimmy gets to shine every once in awhile an it's always nice to see.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Jimmy gets to shine every once in awhile an it's always nice to see.

It really is.  I've never liked it when Jimmy was made to seem like a bumbling fool because he's clearly not so it was nice to see some character depth.  Now if only Tony would return for an episode so he can call him Dr. Autopsy Gremlin.

• Love 10
On 1/24/2017 at 9:43 PM, secnarf said:

I'm confused though - once someone graduates medical school with an MD, they are allowed to be called 'doctor'. They don't need to pass the board exams for their specialty in order to get that honour. It doesn't really explain why suddenly Ducky called him 'Dr Palmer'.

I'm pretty sure Ducky calling Jimmy "Dr. Palmer" was just Ducky having a chuckle at Jimmy's expense by not so subtly hinting to Jimmy that everybody heard everything he said out on that ledge. Ducky calls Jimmy Mr. Palmer because that's what he's always called him and everybody else refers to him as Jimmy or Palmer, just like everybody calls Ducky himself Ducky instead of "Dr. Mallard."

I agree though that they are setting things up for Ducky to leave, or at least to cut back his hours. This makes me sad.

I sure as hell hope the writers aren't setting it up for Ducky to leave, he is one of the best characters on the show. Whenever he talks to corpses and/or tells long rambling stories that the other characters then have to shut him up it is consistently the highlight of any episode he appears in, which is most of them. I would be fine with Ducky getting cut back a bit so Jimmy gets more focus since except in episodes like this he's just "there" most of the time with maybe a token line or two tops and even goes several episodes at a time without even appearing. Jimmy either needs to be given more focus or dropped entirely. I'd be much much more able to stomach seeing Jimmy be written completely off the show instead of Ducky or even the new agents since he's barely even a character as it is.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 3
On 1/24/2017 at 7:43 PM, secnarf said:

I loved this episode, although I knew immediately that the hit and run driver was the guy who was cut off. It just seemed obvious to me, and then I hoped there was something more complicated than that, with the whole conflict with his coworker, but no such luck. I suppose that wasn't really the point of the episode, though.

I'm confused though - once someone graduates medical school with an MD, they are allowed to be called 'doctor'. They don't need to pass the board exams for their specialty in order to get that honour. It doesn't really explain why suddenly Ducky called him 'Dr Palmer'. I did love Abby running into MTAC and starting off with 'first, you need to give Jimmy a raise' and Bishop seconding it, and then Gibbs agreeing without so much as blinking.

Loved the hug from Gibbs at the end, referring to earlier when Jimmy commented that Gibbs doesn't hug him.

Agreed in wondering why he had to pass that exam to be a doctor - did not think that was how things worked.

My daughter, who named her beloved, recently-deceased Golden Retriever Duckie in Ducky's honor, is terrified that they will kill Ducky off.  I hope he just settles into a great retirement and comes back from time to time to help out.  

---------

Immortalfrieza - It wasn't just that Ducky called Jimmy Dr. Palmer, though.  Jimmy himself had an exchange with the kid on the ledge about finally becoming a doctor because he passed the ME exam.  Puzzled me greatly.  

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 2

Yeah that doesn't make sense- you become an MD once you graduate regardless of passing boards, and I guess his "residency" was all the training he did? Still loved the hug, and a storyline that was centered around Palmer after being MIA so long. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

Yeah that doesn't make sense- you become an MD once you graduate regardless of passing boards, and I guess his "residency" was all the training he did?

Just remember Bellasario's Maxim; "Don't examine this too closely."

• Love 8

Damn, this isn't 'Call the Midwife' and so I did not have the tissue box nearby. Big mistake.

Great episode. I'm very glad Brian Dietzen got some meaty stuff to work with as I agree with those who think Palmer is too often used as comic relief. The episode where he and his wife lost the kid they wanted to adopt was another stand-out for him, no surprise it was there in the clip show (which was a very well done clip show). I also laughed at the suicidal kid giving Palmer a hard time for spouting off clichés. 'Self-help karaoke' was hilarious. I also knew I had seen the actor before but couldn't place him (IMDB to the rescue that Spencer Treat Clark, he's been in a lot of things but I definitely remembered him from Gladiator). He did a great job too at playing someone who's just lost and doesn't know where to go anymore.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, BBG said:

Just remember Bellasario's Maxim; "Don't examine this too closely."

I've hung on after all these years- it's the only way to fly with any TV show. I like my dose of unrealism before I go to sleep- it's my escape from harsh reality. 

• Love 3
On 1/25/2017 at 10:59 AM, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

I liked Ryan.  I would like to hear somewhere done the line that he and Jimmy are keeping in touch; they don't have to make a big deal out of it, just include a throwaway line of dialogue.

me, too!!

• Love 6

So, so happy that this episode killed it! Brian Dietzen is a great actor when he's given something to work with and he didn't disappoint. Loved everything about it - the stories, the flashbacks, the soliloquy at the end about choosing happiness, Torres grabbing Jimmy when he slipped, Ducky being the first to call him "Doctor", the Gibbs hug at the end - all beautiful. I get why they didn't bring up his relationship with Tony and I didn't miss it because there wasn't a place for it in the story, even though I adore all the scenes they had as next-gen Gibbs and Ducky.

Just really, really happy that we had a good Jimmy episode. I've heard that David McCallum is leaving after this year (and watching his hands shake on camera sometimes I understand it's probably getting harder for him to do it) so this is a nice way to ease Jimmy into the slot.

• Love 5

It was kind of telling that despite all of the supposed pimping of the relationship between Palmer and DiNozzo that there was no mention of that relationship or DiNozzo at all.

I suppose if they had mentioned DiNozzo, they would have needed to show a clip like with the other parts of Jimmy's flashback conversations, and that would mean having to pay Michael Weatherly, so... they stuck with those who are still on the show. (I second that it would have been nice to mention Tony, though.)

Regardless, Palmer has grown on me quite a bit over the years. At first he was too much awkward comic relief, but I LOVED his first big episode (when he was trying to remember the guy who shot at him), and ever since then I've had a soft spot for Jimmy. I'm so glad they gave Brian an episode like this. And I LOVED the stuff where he talked about Gibbs and we got to see Gibbs' reaction to those comments. Especially about the hug. And them finally showing Gibbs hug him... about damn time! I would have thought Gibbs would have hugged him back when the adoption didn't go through, but if we had to wait, this was a good way to finally do it. Terrific episode. And yes, I got teary. Damn it. (LOL.)

Side note: with all the flashback clips, at first I thought it was nostalgia for Ducky (and hints that David McCallum might leave at the end of this season or something), but then I started to get a little nervous that they were going to kill Jimmy off. I kept muttering, "You kill Jimmy, I'm going to be VERY angry, writers!" So glad they didn't hurt him. 

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 9
On 1/26/2017 at 3:04 PM, Calamity Jane said:

It wasn't just that Ducky called Jimmy Dr. Palmer, though.  Jimmy himself had an exchange with the kid on the ledge about finally becoming a doctor because he passed the ME exam.  Puzzled me greatly.  

I just watched this episode---and enjoyed it.  I thought that they were going about this in a figurative and not necessarily literal way.  That since he now passed the ME exam, Jimmy could be Dr. Palmer (like Dr. Mallard) and be the head ME in his own department somewhere instead of being an assistant to someone.  To do that, he knows he'd have to leave NCIS, which he doesn't want to do.

It certainly sounds like they are writing a Ducky retirement story, and Palmer will become the ME, but I shall miss Ducky (and they better NOT kill the character off!)

• Love 7

I just watched the show on demand tonight, which meant no commercial breaks.  It was great.  Brian was great, and I agree so was the actor who played Ryan.  I agree about the scene where Gibbs stops as he hears Palmer talking about his concern for him.  That was so well played.

I hope Ducky doesn't leave, but since David may wish to retire down the line, I think it's a good idea to have a situation where Ducky can retire and Jimmy can step in.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 3

It was definitely a choked-up type of episode.  I had a feeling it was the cut-off that happened at the intersection that triggered things, but geezus, it is kind of a leap from being a road-rage harasser to being a cold-blooded murderer who was pretty much a sociopath the way he completely didn't bother hiding the damages to his car (doesn't he work at a body shop) and was just driving around with the evidence.  And I definitely do not think that the son should feel guilty about the death, but I am not sure if the fact the hit and run driver was someone that got cut off earlier would have assuaged his guilt, because if he hadn't gotten into the argument with his dad, his dad wouldn't have been distracted and missed the Stop Sign (assuming dad in the wrong considering two cars almost hit him) and caused the psycho to rage.

Could someone explain how they tracked the car down?  I thought the videos didn't have any usable license plates views.  I caught that the car was from a rental company right and then they turned on the GPS to track him.  Of course, one would have thought the BOLO of a mini-SUV with extensive recent front-end damage, would have gotten some hits from local law enforcement. 

• Love 1

Stories like this one should help NCIS hang on to it's top spot. Even though it seems it isn't the No. 1 show on tv anymore. Just the No. 1 drama.

Well you could tell that Edgar Stump was peed off about a lot of stuff, and Paul Smith running the stop sign must have made him snap. He even bawled out the Bodega owner for the high price of the six pack. I liked Gibbs grabbing him. I did think they didn't dig deep enough into the argument by Smith with Ted Morgan.

Jimmy did do a great job on the ledge with Ryan Smith. They do seem like they should at-least for awhile keep in touch. It was cute Palmer's lines at first he used to try and get a re-pore and hopefully hit on something that would break the tension. I liked both Torres and Gibbs wanting to go out and help Jimmy. Torres's quip about Tim wanting to use the broom to push out the cheese burgers to them was cute. "What are we going to do clean up?" Also when he went for the sandwiches he told Jimmy and Ryan, "No Jumping!" I liked it that Tim told Torres that Jimmy doesn't litter, so he wouldn't throw the box to the ground. Must be no wind either? I thought at first Jimmy knew there was a bug on the box, but after he started talking about his team family, you knew he had no idea. The looks Gibbs and others gave from hearing it told volumes. It was great that Ducky and Abby wanted to be there at the scene for Jimmy. It shows their love for him. I figured Gibbs would give Jimmy a hug. I also see it was in his basement where others won't know, lol.

I did like that Jimmy did get his M.E. certification, or whatever and he didn't want to upset the team. And yes Abby and Bishop telling Gibbs about the raise did seem like it could be a suggestion to apply for it. But it could have gone to Vance to. I know he was out of town( I guess).

It does look like it opens the door for Ducky to either retire or cut back his hours. Hope it isn't soon, but you never know.

I am surprised that Fire Lt. Earl Davis was so open to waiting. Or that the local PD didn't move in.

Edited by webruce
added a thought.
  • Love 2

Just caught this again....still loved it..still got teary and cheered at the end. This show is capable of greatness...this season has really lacked a lot of it....this episode outshines all the others...

• Love 3