Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Bridge

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, mbaywife123 said:

DirecTV ( I am on the West Coast but get the East Coast feeds!), A&E channel, episode 3: the bridge.

Sorry didn't mean to quote myself but I just went back and looked at my DVR recording list and it shows what I watched tonight as "What Went Down" and only 19 mins. in length so this must have been a first look for tomorrow (sorry, I was in and out of the room so I did not notice the short run time or realize today is only Monday, place a big L on my forehead!)

Watch tomorrow, you will be amazed at more of the things Leah reveals The FIRST LOOk was really good!

Edited by mbaywife123
Monday night work dead brain!
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, mbaywife123 said:

DirecTV ( I am on the West Coast but get the East Coast feeds!), A&E channel, episode 3: the bridge.

I'm also West Coast, but Comcast has very few East Coast feeds anymore. A&E here is just repeating the first two episodes. *sigh*

eta: They're showing "What Went Down" after Episode 2 at 10. Thanks for the head's up! I just figured it was a throwaway.

Edited by Sew Sumi

West Coaster here too.  I can't wait for this ep.

I'm very heartened by the comments here by people who see right through the sham that is Scientology.  It gives me hope that this criminal cult will be publically discredited and criminally investigated in our lifetime.  And above all, lose their tax exempt status.

Edited by spiderpig
  • Love 14

Well, that was odd. Was What Went Down a preview of tomorrow's episode? But it was 19 minutes  long so half the show. The episode title for #3 doesn't sound like what aired.

Anyway, it was interesting to hear some specifics about what the religion requires. Desiring to help solve the problems of the world notwithstanding, I just cannot fathom how a new adherent to Scientology will put up with several hours a day of auditing -- basically intense, uncomfortable interrogation about all aspects of one's personal life -- by some other random schmo. And pay for it!

And yeah, it's Chutes and Ladders.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, lordonia said:

Well, that was odd. Was What Went Down a preview of tomorrow's episode? But it was 19 minutes  long so half the show. The episode title for #3 doesn't sound like what aired.

Anyway, it was interesting to hear some specifics about what the religion requires. Desiring to help solve the problems of the world notwithstanding, I just cannot fathom how a new adherent to Scientology will put up with several hours a day of auditing -- basically intense, uncomfortable interrogation about all aspects of one's personal life -- by some other random schmo. And pay for it!

And yeah, it's Chutes and Ladders.

After watching that, I'm not going to grumble about fishing out that $5 for the "second collection" at Mass anymore.  

(Actually I don't grumble but I hate it when they announce it at the homily and all I have is a 20).  

• Love 11

I got The Bridge and boy was it full of information!! I loved how much they delved into the minutia of the Church and what they do. The chart was crazy, and Leah said she got to Grade 2 and couldn't do any of the things it said she could. I mean, Tom Cruise should be able to move things with his mind and cure cancer at his level. So much bullshit.

• Love 21

What kind of work do Scientologists do that nets them enough to part with $250K+ for courses and materials, and the flexibility to be off work seven days a week for two months? How can I find that kind of work?*

*Not interested if it's related to Scientology.

• Love 21
9 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

What kind of work do Scientologists do that nets them enough to part with $250K+ for courses and materials, and the flexibility to be off work seven days a week for two months? How can I find that kind of work?*

*Not interested if it's related to Scientology.

They do the same thing that fundamental cult LDS plural marriage cult does.

It's called "Bleed the Beast" except in CO$ the beasts are their own members and not only our government "programs".

They bleed their members by credit card loans, mortgage sign overs, savings, retirement funds, ect. They know that their followers will do anything to stay moving on the "bridge".

Of course the rich members will move back and forth on the "bridge" and the "poor folk" either sign over their lives for servitude to Sea Org. in exchange for very little movement forward in the "Chutes and Ladders" game.

• Love 15

I think you pay the money over many years so while expensive it might be money that would have gone on other things like vacation.  Over 25 years $250k is $10k a year, which is an amount I see a lot of clients donate to church.  Probably overall it is more expensive than other religions but if you can do away with healthcare costs because you can heal yourself... some savings there haha

The people they have on the show have had pretty nice homes so I guess they have decent incomes.

I did like how the woman tonight explained what was appealing about Scientology.  It seems prior to Miscavage she was decently content and it wasn't the cost it is now with all the changes.  Lots of people think people who joined are just crazy, it is interesting to see how and why they joined.  I could easy see how someone seeking something and wanting to improve themselves could get pulled in.

The former Scientology security guy didn't seem like he was real crying.  IDK to me it seemed put on.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 6

I agree that the early members truly believed that they were working toward something good. And I still think LRH was a nut, but MAYBE he didn't mean any harm in his twisted mind?

However once Miscavige became the dictator things changed drastically ( focused on the all mighty dollar) to the detriment of the OG members and they started waking up and were like WTH is going on with our feel good "church".

Miscavige is the evil overlord Xenu ( per LRH'S sci-fi final bridge story) returned! Take that you sawed off "little man" pecker head!

• Love 14

The first part of the episode (that was previewed last night) was interesting. I'm curious about how people become auditors and how it's decided who their subjects are. I'd like to hear what the experience is from their viewpoint -- do they outright lie about what the meter says? Does someone give them the questions to ask?

The second half was more of the same. I think viewers get the policy of disconnection by now. Next week's coverage of Miscavage will hopefully provide more insider details.

Has Leah ever said what OT level she was?

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

Mary joined during the anything-goes early 70s.  Just look back at the polyester clothes, sideburns, mustaches and crappy cars and you'll understand why people wanted to escape.

Looking forward to next week's ep, which appears to feature the Evil Dwarf* himself.

(*Davy, not Tommy.)

• Love 6
6 hours ago, lordonia said:

The first part of the episode (that was previewed last night) was interesting. I'm curious about how people become auditors and how it's decided who their subjects are. I'd like to hear what the experience is from their viewpoint -- do they outright lie about what the meter says? Does someone give them the questions to ask?

Those were my exact thoughts last night - who are the auditors and how do you become one?  And do they still get audited themselves?  I find that whole aspect fascinating and would love to know more about it.

I was practically giddy when I saw the previews for next week.  Can that episode be 47 hours long, please?

• Love 7

I found this episode the most interesting yet.....talking about the actual courses in the Bridge and how it is supposed to bring you to freedom and enlightenment.  Of course...it's all about making money, but the constant lifelong learner aka geek is really curious about these courses.  If it wasn't a crazy cult, I might even like to take them.  

But crazy cult.  

• Love 4

And more not-quite-burning questions sparked by 'The Bridge'!

View the full article

Thanks for the excellent write-up -- I have felt the same way on two fronts: first, that I'd be curious to experience some of the low-level therapeutic stuff (which, of course, is how they suck you in) and, second, that his "I alone can fix it" moment pretty much cemented his cult leader approach for good. Disturbing. (And continuing with this "thank you tour." Love-bombing!)

• Love 2

I saw a "Student Dictionary" on Remini's shelf and assume it was specific to Scientology courses. It looked to be around the size of a regular dictionary, so...was it just the equivalent of a good old Merriam-Webster with Scientology terms scattered through it? If so, wouldn't you love to know whether its definitions of non-Scientology words are accurate?

Oh! Something just clicked into place! A friend of a friend is a director who worked with Cruise, and in addition to other batshit stuff Cruise did, every time someone used a word that Cruise didn't know (which apparently happened...kind of often), Cruise would scream "WORD!" and one of his entourage would scramble around to read him the definition from a dictionary. I don't know whether the definitions he got had a Scientology spin; the story always seemed just about right without even taking into account Scientology. But that anecdote makes slightly more sense (I mean, relatively, in context) if they were reading from a Scientology "dictionary."

• Love 21
5 minutes ago, stanleyk said:

Oh! Something just clicked into place! A friend of a friend is a director who worked with Cruise, and in addition to other batshit stuff Cruise did, every time someone used a word that Cruise didn't know (which apparently happened...kind of often), Cruise would scream "WORD!" and one of his entourage would scramble around to read him the definition from a dictionary. I don't know whether the definitions he got had a Scientology spin; the story always seemed just about right without even taking into account Scientology. But that anecdote makes slightly more sense (I mean, relatively, in context) if they were reading from a Scientology "dictionary."

YOW! That's a good story.

• Love 6
  47 minutes ago, stanleyk said:

YOW! That's a good story.

According to Jenna Miscavige Hill's book that I am currently reading and honestly can't recommend enough if you want a perspective of someone who spent her entire life in the Sea Org, LRH believed that the root of all miscommunication was misunderstood words. So their schooling would consist of hours on end of looking up words in the dictionary. When they didn't do things right or got in trouble or didn't understand something in their course they would be told that they needed to "clear their words". If they thought everything was fine but made mistakes or said they didn't understand stuff they were directed to find their misunderstood word and clear it. Realize this was to a girl who was 7 years old.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, mbaywife123 said:

I agree that the early members truly believed that they were working toward something good. And I still think LRH was a nut, but MAYBE he didn't mean any harm in his twisted mind?

However once Miscavige became the dictator things changed drastically ( focused on the all mighty dollar) to the detriment of the OG members and they started waking up and were like WTH is going on with our feel good "church".

Miscavige is the evil overlord Xenu ( per LRH'S sci-fi final bridge story) returned! Take that you sawed off "little man" pecker head!

I thought the same thing about LRH vs Miscavige, and maybe it is true to some extent, but I am in the middle of reading Tony Ortega's book about how the COS tried to destroy Paulette Cooper in the early 70s. It is jaw dropping. It reads like a John Grisham novel and, imo, is far worse than anything Leah has talked about so far. It doesn't talk about the financial aspect of being in the COS though, so I'm not sure if/how much that has changed. I have no doubt however, that LRH meant serious harm to those he perceived as enemies. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 5

I was surprised Leah saved all those books.  Maybe they could be evidence if she files a civil suit?  That was quite a library. 

I knew about that rule they have about never going past a word you don't understand.  I heard about it in a previous Scientology expose'.

The former Scientology security guy didn't seem like he was real crying.  IDK to me it seemed put on.

Word. I actually thought he was laughing at first. Didn't look like there were any actual tears coming from him. I usually get misty-eyed during emotional moments on TV but he left me cold. He seems really off.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, WInterfalls said:

She did a Reddit AMA before the show started and I believe she said she was an OT 3.

Huh.  I obviously could be wrong, but I just finished her book and I thought she was going to Clearwater to work towards OT VII when she got into trouble and was then trained to work as an auditor as her punishment.  When she somehow got back in their good graces (I forget how now but I'm sure it involved giving them money), they said she could go back to working on the OT VII but she said she liked the auditing.  That's how I remember it, but I also may not be remember correctly. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, GenL said:

Huh.  I obviously could be wrong, but I just finished her book and I thought she was going to Clearwater to work towards OT VII when she got into trouble and was then trained to work as an auditor as her punishment.  When she somehow got back in their good graces (I forget how now but I'm sure it involved giving them money), they said she could go back to working on the OT VII but she said she liked the auditing.  That's how I remember it, but I also may not be remember correctly. 

I read her book and that does sound kind of familiar so I could just be totally wrong.  That would make her I guess OT VI since she didn't complete VII.  

10 minutes ago, wings707 said:

When men cry they generally let out a sob first.   I believe his reaction was sincere.  It came right after the woman talked about losing her son (to COS).   Rinder lost his entire family when he left so that raw emotion just below the surface and probably will be for the rest of his life..  Leah handed him a tissue.  A lot of that scene was edited out and Rinders tears were probably part of that.  

I agree I felt like Rinder's emotions were real, and I broke down at that point too.  I think Rinder did some pretty terrible thing while in CO$, but as he mentioned early in the episode lots of people have had the attitude of blaming the Church more than him.  That attitude lines up pretty well with most of the first hand stories I've read.  Everyone was ratting on each other or trying to get others in trouble especially if they themselves had been in trouble because it brings them back into favor with the Church.  

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, wings707 said:

When men cry they generally let out a sob first.   I believe his reaction was sincere.  It came right after the woman talked about losing her son (to COS).   Rinder lost his entire family when he left so that raw emotion just below the surface and probably will be for the rest of his life..  Leah handed him a tissue.  A lot of that scene was edited out and Rinders tears were probably part of that.  

Agree...it seemed pretty clear to me that it was a genuine response, especially considering it was directly after she started crying about having lost her son due to him disconnecting. I know plenty of guys who on the rare occasion they do cry it comes out almost exactly the same way. 

• Love 13

I wonder what these folks do for jobs as others have mentioned. I get that they were adults on going in, and so likely had some skills or degrees unlike Rinder (who also has a very pricey house for the area) but they must've spent a bundle to get as high as they did and how did they hold the jobs down while doing all the training?

• Love 1

This was a great episode. The whole cult (as other cults) fascinates me.  Especially how people get sucked in the first place and then try to fight their way out.

The woman they featured, who attained OT VIII  - they didn't say if she had a moment of WTF when they showed her the sacred documents ala Paul Haggis.  I'm shocked she attained the highest level.  There are very few of them from what I understand. 

I still would like to know more about the kids that are in the cult.  Their lack of education. Lack of skills of how they deal with sp people and/or outsiders of their faith.  Also, about the kids of famous $cientologiests. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, greekmom said:

This was a great episode. The whole cult (as other cults) fascinates me.  Especially how people get sucked in the first place and then try to fight their way out.

The woman they featured, who attained OT VIII  - they didn't say if she had a moment of WTF when they showed her the sacred documents ala Paul Haggis.  I'm shocked she attained the highest level.  There are very few of them from what I understand. 

I still would like to know more about the kids that are in the cult.  Their lack of education. Lack of skills of how they deal with sp people and/or outsiders of their faith.  Also, about the kids of famous $cientologiests. 

Yes Jenna Miscavige Hill is David Miscavige's niece and her story is fascinating being that she was basically raised by the Church and not her parents. If you want a look at the kids' lives you should absolutely read her book Beyond Belief. She was basically baffled by how ordinary children behaved. I've almost finished her book and honestly it seems like the further along she got in the church it only ever got worse for her. 

• Love 6

Did her other sons leave the church before she did? It's terrifying how many abuses they're allowed to get away with. 

I had no clue the Scientology center existed in Atlanta until I was driving somewhere someday. I did a double take! 

Even the website is weird. But hey you can take a free tour. 

Wooooowwwwwwww (Flavor Flav voice).  This shit just keeps getting crazier.  I really felt for Mary and her husband.  And I do believe that Mike R's loud sob was real.  It has to hurt like hell to be disconnected from her own children, brothers, sisters, etc.  I cannot even imagine. 

Since the first episode of this show premiered, I've seen Going Clear, read Leah's book (well, I was on vacation and had free time) and I've started reading Jenna M.'s book.  To say I've become fascinated (and deeply disturbed) by Scientology in a very short amount of time is accurate. 

I applaud Leah for launching this project, as well as all of the ex-members for "speaking their truth" since they've left the cult.   It can't be easy to be talking about all of this insane, depraved stuff, and then be like "Oh yeah, and I staunchly supported this insane, depraved stuff for 30, 40 years." 

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, Duke2801 said:

Wooooowwwwwwww (Flavor Flav voice).  This shit just keeps getting crazier.  I really felt for Mary and her husband.  And I do believe that Mike R's loud sob was real.  It has to hurt like hell to be disconnected from her own children, brothers, sisters, etc.  I cannot even imagine. 

Since the first episode of this show premiered, I've seen Going Clear, read Leah's book (well, I was on vacation and had free time) and I've started reading Jenna M.'s book.  To say I've become fascinated (and deeply disturbed) by Scientology in a very short amount of time is accurate. 

I applaud Leah for launching this project, as well as all of the ex-members for "speaking their truth" since they've left the cult.   It can't be easy to be talking about all of this insane, depraved stuff, and then be like "Oh yeah, and I staunchly supported this insane, depraved stuff for 30, 40 years." 

Isn't it unbelievably weird?  It's not like L Ron was Ray Bradbury or HG Wells.  He was a 19th-rate potboiler sci-fi author who miraculously became a prophet to the needy.  I will never understand it.

• Love 15
8 hours ago, Court said:

Did her other sons leave the church before she did? It's terrifying how many abuses they're allowed to get away with. 

I had no clue the Scientology center existed in Atlanta until I was driving somewhere someday. I did a double take! 

There is one in my hometown of Cambridge, Ontario.  I was surprised to see it and try to avoid that area as much as possible.  Almost like people avoiding having to cross a graveyard.  Place gives me the creeps.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Court said:

IIRC, she has two sons. One son, I think his name was Michael, never took to Scientology.  The other son Sam is the one that still belongs and is disconnected from. 

• Love 1

There's a CO$ center in my city, and they've been around for decades.  A few years ago, I was at the state book fair (legit books, not a kooky religious sect book fair) and for some reason the Scientologists had a booth, complete with a set up for people to try the E meter.  I doubt anyone would get a full on audit in the middle of a tent at a book fair, they were letting people use it.  The point being, you never know where the CO$ will turn up and a chance to have your curiosity to be satisfied (while in public, so get away is easy).

My big take away from this episode is that there's no way I could have ever hacked it as a Scientologist if I had to be in meetings for twelve hours straight for weeks on end, and read all that crap.  I'm way too lazy for the meetings and LRH is a horrible writer, so the first book would be tossed in the donation pile probably by the time I got to page 3.

• Love 11

I'm still pondering exactly what it is that puts me off about Rinder.

First, he has an entitled sense of self regard that's unearned, as if he's carried over his Scientology rank and importance into our world where it means nothing.

Second is his seeming lack of remorse. I can more easily understand/forgive that because I see him as a victim of brainwashing. I can't blame Scobee or any other high level staff members for what they did, either.

I think the toxic tattling culture in Scientology really messes with people. Like, the first thing Mary's husband did when she told him about her doubts was to submit a knowledge report on her. Members get in big trouble if they don't. Everyone tells on everyone, then the miscreant is forced to have days, weeks, or months of sec checks, which are of course recorded (and billed!) That sort of pervasive thought control makes it impossible to share personal feelings, which in turn goes a long way towards making Scientologists into the soulless drones they are.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 7
23 hours ago, justjen said:

The Church of Scientology in Atlanta is 1.2 miles away from me (not far from a Waffle House) and I would be willing to try to get audited For the Cause. I think I did it once in college for a free tshirt or hacky sack or something.

Please don't.  No reason to stick your hand down a hole that you know is filled with poisonous snakes.  And to give way to curiosity is what THEY want you to do.  This show is trying to tell people not to give them the time of day period.

I like this show but my biggest concern is that someone seeing it gets too curious.  Please get curious about things that matter in life and not dark alleys of the mind.

Also like I posted in another thread here, the e-meter is just a cheaply made volt meter with the scale set to very low voltage readings.  I've been in the factory that produces that rubbish.  Or they did a decade or more ago when I was out job hunting and learned all about this there and got a tour etc. 

They used to make dashboard meters for Ford but lost their contract to a Mexico factory and survived as a shell of their former selves by getting the official Scientology e-meter contract.  Just your typically crappy fiberglass board with cheap components mounted for the very basic of any meter.  A volt meter is a meter.  Nothing special about them.  Nothing magically.  Buy one yourself and hold the ground and positive ends and set the thing to millivolts or micro volts setting and watch the needle jump around as you ask yourself stupid questions if you are curious.

• Love 18
14 hours ago, Court said:

Over the summer there were young guys (maybe late teens, early 20s) standing on the sidewalks in full heavy suits I guess trying to get people to come inside. I tried giving them ice water I picked up from the Starbucks in the Target that's right there, but they wouldn't take it.

• Love 1