Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Bridge

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Most meetings have plenty of books to loan if you need them for the meeting.  And many old timers have books they are no longer using they will give or loan out.  (snip)

Some things do cost, but it's usually to cover their costs, and it's usually minimal.  I am a group rep for our 12 step group, and our get-togethers are pot luck.

My first recovery books were gifts from others in the program.  They were used, dog-eared and some notes were written along the sides but they were essential to my recovery.  And meetings cost nothing (though most people throw a few bucks in the basket for rent if they have it)!  You can go to as many meetings in a day as you wish.  Now, whenever I go to a conference or meeting where literature is sold, I buy some daily reading books and paperbacks and hand them out to those that can not afford to buy their own. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, dcubed said:

... They were used, dog-eared and some notes were written along the sides but they were essential...

Totally OT (EDIT : as "Off Topic", and not Operating Thetan ^_^ ), but... I LOVE used books, books which "had a life" in other hands before mine. I dunno why, but I love that feeling that somebone, before me, had some emotions or input due to THIS book -and not another copy of it- and thats now my turn, if that makes sense :D

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 9

Continuing with the OT ("OffTop" not "OpThet"), re books: I tend to keep certain books and re-read them.  If I loan these out, I will write on a random page something like "please write your name here and tell me if you're enjoying this book".  If I'm donating the book, I'll write a similar note on a random page like "my name is Fiona and [I really enjoyed this book, hope you do too/I just couldn't get into this book, hope you have better luck]".  I like the idea of someone coming across this mid-way which is why I don't put it on the blank page/s at the start.

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, dcubed said:

My first recovery books were gifts from others in the program.  They were used, dog-eared and some notes were written along the sides but they were essential to my recovery.  And meetings cost nothing (though most people throw a few bucks in the basket for rent if they have it)!  You can go to as many meetings in a day as you wish.  Now, whenever I go to a conference or meeting where literature is sold, I buy some daily reading books and paperbacks and hand them out to those that can not afford to buy their own. 

We do that when we find them in thrift stores, or other locations as well.  Pay it forward.

We got Mr. Funky's 12x12 from a used book store.  We never looked at it until he got home to put it in his book cover.  It said "Property Of (insert name - can't remember) Psychiatric Hospital" on the inside.  I said "Do you want me to return it?" because he had been about a month outside of a nervous breakdown, and I didn't want it to upset him (he wasn't hospitalized, but still....).  He laughed and said "No.  I find it amusing.  It reminds me of what I came out of".  :)

• Love 4

Sorry to the mods for the OT jaunt, but please indulge me for one second to respond to Fastiller above:

I had a beloved book destroyed in a flood.  First edition.  Autographed by authors at a special event.  Gift from special friend who attended special event.  I was devastated.  One author now dead, so the hope of getting another autographed one was slim to none.  Turned up some online (book almost 25 years old) but all were personalized.  Finally found one that was identical to mine.  Convinced the seller to convert auction to BIN (no other bids).  Told him the story.  He said he was happy to help.

Said book arrives.  Inside is a note. Book belonged to his beloved wife.  He said lovely things about her.  She was at that same event.  She read the book several times and it was one of her favorites, as it was mine.  He then says she passed on in February (last year) of cancer, and died in his arms.  He was reluctant to sell the book, and was thinking of taking down the auction when I contacted him, and he knew he had to "reunite lost friends".  I was sobbing.  I kept the note in the book, and promised him (and his late wife's spirit) that I would cherish it as much as she did, and that I would never get rid of it.  I have no one to pass it along to - we were never able to have kids, and Mr. Funky has a brother who also had no kids - I'm an only child.  I've seriously considered being buried with it, just because.  I have the daughter of a cousin I would consider passing it on to if I could turn her on to the subject the book covers - she's a little too young for it right now, but maybe some day.

• Love 24
On 12/15/2016 at 10:22 AM, Lizzing said:

My big take away from this episode is that there's no way I could have ever hacked it as a Scientologist if I had to be in meetings for twelve hours straight for weeks on end, and read all that crap.  I'm way too lazy for the meetings and LRH is a horrible writer, so the first book would be tossed in the donation pile probably by the time I got to page 3.

BWAH!  LIZZING, I felt the exact same way!  I told my husband that I am too damn lazy for all that shit.  We actually had a business meeting in Clearwater a few years ago and I had no idea that was CO$'s hometown!  I remember seeing the building but had no clue it was CO$!  Clearwater's beaches are beautiful.

LRH teeth are fucked up and I bet his breath stunk!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

Every time I see that video of him I think Man can fix his own problem but you can't even fix your teeth.  Shallow, I know.  

One of my colleagues binged watched Leah's show and Going Clear this weekend, and when I asked her what she thought she goes "L. Ron Hubbard's teeth gave me nightmares!"  

She didnt have much to say about the IRS exemption, the abuse, etc., but damn she went on about those teeth for a good five minutes.  i was laughing my ass off as she went on and on about them.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

Every time I see that video of him I think Man can fix his own problem but you can't even fix your teeth.  Shallow, I know.  

Bad teeth are always a deal breaker for me. LRH nasty nasty teeth. Can't even look a his pic for more than one second.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Beaner said:

Bad teeth are always a deal breaker for me. LRH nasty nasty teeth. Can't even look a his pic for more than one second.

Plus the way he spoke just makes matters worse.  Everything was done with his lower lip so those blackened stumps were on full display anytime he opened his gob.

• Love 1

Apparently plaque and decay are ok but space cooties are not.

Damn the least LRH, chief SOB of CO$ could have done was pull those nasty fangs and bought some dentures. Especially if he's was trying to sell himself as something more than what he really was.  The man couldn't even take care of his personal hygiene.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Beaner said:

Bad teeth are a sign of bad overall health.  Surprising that Xenu couldn't heal even LRH!

• Love 3

I am honestly a bit shocked that this cult ever got its feet off the ground. Hubbard was not a great speaker in clips I have. He looks cartoony and like he has bad hygiene. He sounds crazy even for cult standards and was not a good writer. He was not handsome. Most of this applies to Miscavige too. So, I am wondering what sway people fell under initially.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I am honestly a bit shocked that this cult ever got its feet off the ground. Hubbard was not a great speaker in clips I have. He looks cartoony and like he has bad hygiene. He sounds crazy even for cult standards and was not a good writer. He was not handsome. Most of this applies to Miscavige too. So, I am wondering what sway people fell under initially.

I am in the midst of reading "Scientology Uncovered" and it delves way back to the start of all of this nonsense. It's all crazy! Unbelievable that it's held up all of these years.

• Love 4

I have a general question (and I never know where to ask those in this forum), but do Scientologist believe in a God and a devil or any deity/anti-deity. Is that Xenu? I was under the impression that Xenu was evil. Not that the answer would prove or disprove anything. (I am Agnostic.) I am just curious.

I know the beginning stuff is really "how to be a better you" so you get all caught up in this non-religion, and then start buying classes or getting a free audit session, which sounds great to a person who is trying to be a better person. You know?  Especially the, "oh you can be a catholic AND a scientologist" which i think calms some people down. It's definitely creepy. My niece said that to me "oh i could be a Christian and a scientologist" and i just wanted to grab her and shake her.

• Love 3

I just don't get why anyone would want to cross this bridge!  It takes an inordinate amount of time and a big portion of income/savings.  Maybe I am just too laid back (Lazy!) to even think about even walking up to the bridge much less want to cross it.  The "confessions" that are imposed (and each cult member has to PAY for!) plus paying for classes, books, videos, plus going to "meetings" and having to pay up there too. (Apparently their are "plants" to encourage others to cough up $). Then if you are not believable in your "confessions" you are badgered to admit to transgressions that you might have to make up, if the transgressions are believed then you continue with sec check (that again you PAY FOR!).  If you admit to any doubts or have questions you cannot voice them, if you do someone (from a co-worker to spouse, from parent to child, from a friend to a family member!) feel that it's their duty to report you in order to help you grow!  I just don't get it.  Aren't those enough red flags to warn you that real religions don't charge you? That real religions give freely? That real religions try to teach you love and acceptance?   Oh, I forgot - this is a cult wearing the mask of religion.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, rhys said:

Why isn't Hubbard called "Ron Hubbard?" L Ron Hubbard sounds so odd.

Because the L stands for "Lafayette" and in the Navy they teased him, calling him names like La F***** or La-FAY-ette or Fay. 

• Love 3

I have a general question (and I never know where to ask those in this forum), but do Scientologist believe in a God and a devil or any deity/anti-deity. Is that Xenu? I was under the impression that Xenu was evil. Not that the answer would prove or disprove anything. (I am Agnostic.) I am just curious.

They don't believe in a god or devil.  They believe in past lives going back billions of years, on this and on other planets.  Xenu is more or less just a story, one that Scientologists don't even learn about until several years and thousands of dollars into becoming Scientologists.  The book "A Piece of Blue Sky" by Jon Atack has a lot of good information on what Scientologists actually believe.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Believing in a deity would be counter to the concept of Scientology. A core idea of Scientology is that someone can basically train their mind to have control over everything - healing yourself, basically making yourself perfect etc. . If you believe you can do that it's really not likely you would find a place for God. Not to mention they aren't big on love or compassion. 

• Love 1

As a Christian I think I find the lack of grace particularly disturbing with this "religion". Instead it seems obsessed with a person earning their worthiness, and it's never enough. You can never do enough, or be enough. How incredibly sad. There is no mercy or forgiveness, no love or compassion. It's completely works based, but somehow even if you follow the letter of the law you still fail. I know I can not live perfectly, or often even up to my own desires, and that's where grace steps in. Once I truly began to grasp the concept of grace I was overwhelmed. Scientology seems to think anything unmerited is useless and if you didn't earn it then it's without worth. It's heartbreaking thinking of people searching for purpose, meaning, or community, and they find this money-draining, hope-sucking cult corporation masquerading as a place of enlightenment and peace. 

• Love 20
14 hours ago, rhys said:

Why isn't Hubbard called "Ron Hubbard?" L Ron Hubbard sounds so odd.

Would you join a religion started by Ron Hubbard? Ron Hubbard sounds like a slightly successful car salesman. I suspect it is L. Ron Hubbard because it sounds better. People in Scientology never call him Ron or Ron Hubbard. They call him L. Ron or L. Ron Hubbard.

• Love 1
On 1/10/2017 at 7:22 AM, DangerousMinds said:

I am in the midst of reading "Scientology Uncovered" and it delves way back to the start of all of this nonsense. It's all crazy! Unbelievable that it's held up all of these years.

Going Clear (the book) also has an excellent LRH/Dianetics/Scientology history, far beyond what the documentary could ever tell. It's clear (hee) that Rathbun was a main source for this book, which makes it more and more creepy that we've found out that he's been taken back into the fold not that long ago. So, I guess he's back to Marty now?

Edited by Sew Sumi
differentiation
  • Love 1
On 1/9/2017 at 11:33 PM, Beaner said:

I think it was about fifteen years ago or more that I downloaded parts of someone's book on the internet.  I can't remember who wrote it and at the time I remember there wasn't a lot out there about the "secrets" of Scientology - at least that I knew about.  Still surprised that I remembered as much as I did. People on this thread talk about going down the rabbit hole, reading everything they can, and that was what I was doing whatever year that was.

Ok, to the quote.  If I am remembering correctly, Hubbard was a terribly gross man in the physical hygiene department.  His "messengers", who where very young, had to do really sickening things for him. Sorry, don't remember exactly what they were.  I just remember that they made me literally sick to my stomach.  I'm really curious to what the heck it was I was reading. It had to have been someone who was either a messenger or very close to one.  Who wrote the first big tell all book? Maybe someone else remembers reading something about how gross old man Hubbard was, ah, way beyond just his teeth.  Eewww.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, WescottF1 said:

Arrived here on Earth on the spaceship Gingivitis with his army of Cavity Creeps set to clear the universe!

I feel like I'm at the dentist office with my kids watching the movie they show them pre-checkup. :)

12 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Would you join a religion started by Ron Hubbard? Ron Hubbard sounds like a slightly successful car salesman. I suspect it is L. Ron Hubbard because it sounds better. People in Scientology never call him Ron or Ron Hubbard. They call him L. Ron or L. Ron Hubbard.

Reminds me of a blip from one of my favorite movies.

FBI Agent: Sir, we discovered you were born Nathan Huffheins.

Nathan Arizona Sr.: Yeah, I changed my name. What of it?

FBI Agent: Can you give us an indication why?

Nathan Arizona Sr.: Would you shop at a store called Unpainted Huffheins?

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Reminds me of a blip from one of my favorite movies.

FBI Agent: Sir, we discovered you were born Nathan Huffheins.

Nathan Arizona Sr.: Yeah, I changed my name. What of it?

FBI Agent: Can you give us an indication why?

Nathan Arizona Sr.: Would you shop at a store called Unpainted Huffheins?

Excuse you, are you my boyfriend from my 20s? ;) This was his fav movie too. And I can quote most of it :)

18 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

Excuse you, are you my boyfriend from my 20s? ;) This was his fav movie too. And I can quote most of it :)

I'm not a boy, but I do love that movie.  It's just so silly that it's hilarious.  :D

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

I thought I probably had that wrong ;)  "Son, you got a panty on your head." I say this randomly.

I use that a ton.  I also use "I don't know!!  They were jammies!!  They had Yodas and shit on them!".

Sadly, Mr. Funky doesn't share my affection for it.  He says it has it's moments, but is to "out there" for him.

• Love 2
On 12/14/2016 at 1:10 AM, mbaywife123 said:

I agree that the early members truly believed that they were working toward something good. And I still think LRH was a nut, but MAYBE he didn't mean any harm in his twisted mind?

You can't craft something the way he did with beneficial intentions in mind.  He wanted an income source that wouldn't disappear.

• Love 5

Quit reading after the unwelcome and unnecessary political commentary.

On 12/14/2016 at 2:01 PM, WInterfalls said:

She did a Reddit AMA before the show started and I believe she said she was an OT 3.

OTV.  Three is the wall of fire level where you get to learn all about xenu.

On 12/15/2016 at 3:23 PM, green said:

Please don't.  No reason to stick your hand down a hole that you know is filled with poisonous snakes.  And to give way to curiosity is what THEY want you to do.  This show is trying to tell people not to give them the time of day period.

I like this show but my biggest concern is that someone seeing it gets too curious.  Please get curious about things that matter in life and not dark alleys of the mind.

Also like I posted in another thread here, the e-meter is just a cheaply made volt meter with the scale set to very low voltage readings.  I've been in the factory that produces that rubbish.  Or they did a decade or more ago when I was out job hunting and learned all about this there and got a tour etc. 

They used to make dashboard meters for Ford but lost their contract to a Mexico factory and survived as a shell of their former selves by getting the official Scientology e-meter contract.  Just your typically crappy fiberglass board with cheap components mounted for the very basic of any meter.  A volt meter is a meter.  Nothing special about them.  Nothing magically.  Buy one yourself and hold the ground and positive ends and set the thing to millivolts or micro volts setting and watch the needle jump around as you ask yourself stupid questions if you are curious.

I love your first paragraph about the snakes.  One of the later visitors to the show said it well.  He thought it could never happen, but one day he was invited to some event he didn't know what Moony related.  The next week he was selling flowers at the airport.  These people have been honing their skills for a long, long time.  And while you may be a smarter than the average bear, they have the virtue of being trained to deal with someone exactly like you.  And they've likely seen someone like you a thousand times before.

If anything, this show has made me less likely to want to even take the initial personality test.  I just don't want to go anywhere near them.  The snake thing, I guess.

On 12/15/2016 at 3:49 PM, justjen said:

Over the summer there were young guys (maybe late teens, early 20s) standing on the sidewalks in full heavy suits I guess trying to get people to come inside. I tried giving them ice water I picked up from the Starbucks in the Target that's right there, but they wouldn't take it.

xenu wouldn't let them.

On 12/19/2016 at 4:40 PM, spiderpig said:

I read Jenna's book a couple of years ago and will have to reread.  I found her revelations about Uncle David particularly scary - he is truly a maniac.

Pair this book with DM's father Ron Miscavige's (he's on the next ep) book "Ruthless" and you have a picture of an uncontrollable tyrant.

Read Going Clear.  He has been like that since he was a child.

On 12/20/2016 at 8:43 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

The money is obviously at the center of this thing. I do wonder why some members don't speak out and protest about the unfairness when they reach the top of the Bridge and are told there was a mistake and they have to go back down, take some more classes, pay more money, work back up again......I think I would blow a gasket.  lol  I suppose that fear and intimidation prevents it.  Still......they must not have many attorneys.  I'd be be making some legal arguments to them about breach....lol.

I am now wondering if Scientology has a hold on these celeb members by maintaining certain secrets.  I've heard rumors for years, but, I wonder if this group, is holding these secrets as a means to hold the celebrity to their so called church. Maybe, they are not all that into Scientology, but have to say they are due to fear of having their secrets exposed. 

Based on what Leah said recently about alcohol.  Does anyone know if Tom C., John T. and Kirstie A. drink socially? 

My feeling about it is if LRH was so freakin' infallible, why do they keep finding errors in his work?

• Love 1
On 12/20/2016 at 3:36 PM, iMonrey said:

I didn't get that either. The producer specifically asked her how anyone does this if they have a job and she just said "you figure it out." I wonder if she got special consideration because of her celebrity status or if she got "time off" to film the TV show. I mean, obviously she could not have devoted 24/7 of her life to the church because she was on a sitcom full time.

After this third episode my perception is that the church was at its peak in membership and power until the death of L. Ron Hubbard, and that under Miscavige they are collapsing. Going Clear and this docu-series have to be crippling them. It sounds like the only faithful members that still belong are those who were born into it and simply cannot get away from it because they are so dependent on the church. Only something like 25,000 members?

I love Leah Remini but the cynic in me can't help but wonder how much of doing this show is altruistic and how much is self-serving. Probably about 50/50 but that's fine with me. She's doing something important regardless of her reasons.

There was a tag on the end of this episode that said Mary's son denied he disconnected from his parents because the church made him. Seemingly, he didn't offer any other explanation for why he did disconnect from them.

She said she would go after filming, or if she absolutely couldn't, she would "have" to make it up on the weekends.  She stresses again and again how much time it took.  That means it was a big issue for her.  It would be for me, too. Time is the one thing we can't earn more of.