Type keyword(s) to search

Bands & Singers You Just Can't Stand

UYI
  • Start Topic

This is just the beginning:

Black Eyed Peas (especially Fergie & fucking Will.i.am)

John Legend (being married to Chrissy Teigen made him even worse)

Jennifer Hudson

Ariana Grande

My brain has frozen up but I will definitely be back later.

• Love 1

Dave Mathews (and his band)

Kiss

John Legend

The Who

Live

Nickelback

Taylor Swift

Hootie & the Blowfish

The Beatles in their original boy band phase

Pharell

Robin Thicke

Kanye West

Beyoncé (despite her good voice)

Anybody who has ever used that electronic dubbed voice who is not performing techno music and even some of them

(I am not done either. I have decades and decades of head-attic space to sort through to complete this list.)

Edited by Enigma X

Red Hot Chili Peppers

I didn't used to mind them that much, but then the indie rock station I listen to started playing them what seemed like every time I turned on the radio.  Now I hate them with the fire of a thousand burning nuns.

• Love 2

Beyonce/Jay-Z

Kelly Clarkson

Taylor Swift

Harry Connick, Jr.

Michael Buble

Miley Cyrus

Those indie females with the affected, baby-voice sounding voices.  I can't think of their names, but I think y'all know who I mean.

More to come...

• Love 2

Taylor Swift

Ariana Grande

Ciara- so fake w/ all that plastic surgery

Jennifer Hudson

Justin Beiber ( I know, goes without saying, but still)

Usher

Lil Wayne

Miley Cyrus

Alicia Keys---not quite at the hate level, but she's working my last nerve

There's more...but these are the first ones on my mind for now......

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

R.E.M. was so overplayed back in the day that I can't stand them now. Likewise U2 and the Clash.

I only like R.E.M from 1987 and earlier.  Actually, same with U2.  As for the Clash I could listen to "Train in Vain" all day long and never get tired of it so they're exempt from my hate list.

Morrissey is another one that started to grate me. I never cared for Green Day either.

I think I can throw Jared Leto in this category because of his band 30 Seconds to Mars. I generally like their tunes, but Leto is so full of Leto that it just turns me off.

• Love 1

Those indie females with the affected, baby-voice sounding voices.  I can't think of their names, but I think y'all know who I mean.

Like +1000.  Don't breathe at me: if you're going to sing - then sing!

I have never been able to stand Rod Stewart's voice.  I know many love him but his voice grates on me worse than a screeching chalkboard.  And I have an unhealthy hate for Maggie Mae.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I only like R.E.M from 1987 and earlier.  Actually, same with U2.  As for the Clash I could listen to "Train in Vain" all day long and never get tired of it so they're exempt from my hate list.

I like them up through Green, and still like the odd occasional song after that (Losing My Religion and What's the Frequency, Kenneth?) but, like U2, they got pretentious, self-righteous and annoying.

The Clash are always exempt.  Always.

• Love 1

I don't hate U2 now, but I loved them from their beginnings through Achtung Baby. After that came the downhill slide in my estimation. I do like some individual songs from their post AB releases, but the sustained goodness as a whole seems long gone.

• Love 4
On 12/5/2016 at 0:35 PM, Enigma X said:

Dave Mathews (and his band)

I haaaaaaaaate Dave Matthews with a fiery passion.  I cannot tell you how many of my high school classmates used to say "I love Dave, but only his early stuff"; I wanted to punch every one of them in the face and yell "IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME ANYWAY!"  Ugh.

I also hate John Mayer.  Can't stand his voice, can't stand his whiney sounding songs, and the man himself seems unpleasant and annoying. 

• Love 7

Taylor Swift. She can write a catchy tune and seems like a shrewd business woman, which is something I should normally be able to get behind but I can't stand her breathy, girly voice that has no range whatsoever and more and more I think she's not so much shrewd as just really ruthless and petty which is why nobody wants to piss her off and they just let her do what she wants. Her entire "standing up to Spotify" thing ended up being about negotiating a deal with Apple music. I mean, it's okay to care about getting money, but own it instead of trying to look like you're only doing stuff out of the goodness of your heart. 

And I dislike Kanye West and the Kardashians immensely, but I'm very uncomfortable how he's been made to look like the big black man against her innocent blonde ingenue self in her narrative (I mean, "Innocent", anyone?) when the recordings clearly show that she knew about his song and he was nothing but super and overly polite to her. He really wanted to make sure she was okay with it and instead she turned it around on him again, at the Grammys, no less. It's a stupid song but if she had a problem with it then she should have told him instead of playing him like that.

Now she apparently wants to go with an R&B pop sound for her next album, which is just great, another white girl discovering R&B and getting tons of money and praise for it. Watch her win a Grammy for that too.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, KatWay said:

Taylor Swift. She can write a catchy tune and seems like a shrewd business woman, which is something I should normally be able to get behind but I can't stand her breathy, girly voice that has no range whatsoever and more and more I think she's not so much shrewd as just really ruthless and petty which is why nobody wants to piss her off and they just let her do what she wants. Her entire "standing up to Spotify" thing ended up being about negotiating a deal with Apple music. I mean, it's okay to care about getting money, but own it instead of trying to look like you're only doing stuff out of the goodness of your heart. 

And I dislike Kanye West and the Kardashians immensely, but I'm very uncomfortable how he's been made to look like the big black man against her innocent blonde ingenue self in her narrative (I mean, "Innocent", anyone?) when the recordings clearly show that she knew about his song and he was nothing but super and overly polite to her. He really wanted to make sure she was okay with it and instead she turned it around on him again, at the Grammys, no less. It's a stupid song but if she had a problem with it then she should have told him instead of playing him like that.

Now she apparently wants to go with an R&B pop sound for her next album, which is just great, another white girl discovering R&B and getting tons of money and praise for it. Watch her win a Grammy for that too.

To be fair, that R&B stuff is a rumor. I'm hoping she realizes she's whiter than a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks and stays far away from that.

She is starting her own damn channel, though! On DirecTV's streaming service, so you have to pay to get it, but still, ugh. 

• Love 1
On 12/7/2016 at 0:42 AM, amaranta said:

Like +1000.  Don't breathe at me: if you're going to sing - then sing!

I have never been able to stand Rod Stewart's voice.  I know many love him but his voice grates on me worse than a screeching chalkboard.  And I have an unhealthy hate for Maggie Mae.

I once went on holiday in Bali. The hotel, while 'ancient' by Asian standards, had a nice 60s vibe (JK Jn. had been there too). We checked out late evening, me and an ex who was a fan of Rod Stewart. No food available, so we went to bed hungry. Music was playing softly in the room when we got in, Rod Stewart, future ex was happy, I was dead tired and hungry, we tried to kill the music before going to bed but never managed to (neither did the staff for the remainder of our stay). So the next morning, and until the end of our stay, Rod Steward kept on singing, and he never sang the more up there songs which I like, like "Da ya think I'm sexy", which at least is fun, no, it was always the "Waltzing Mathilda" kind, mellow, schmalzy and boring but still really hard to fall asleep to, if that makes sense.

Ex is still a fan and even bought a CD which includes "Waltzing Mathilda" as the most upbeat song. He left it here when I asked him to leave. My problem with him was not about his music taste, but now I think that that should have clued me in that we were not compatible.  

These are all guaranteed a station change on the car radio.  I hate most of them because I'm old enough now to have heard all of their hit songs at least a thousand times.  

Tom Petty

AC/DC

Rolling Stones

Eagles

The Who

Queen

David Bowie

Bob Seger

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Foreigner

Aerosmith

Heart

Steve Miller Band

ZZ Top

George Thorogood

Jimi Hendrix

The Doors

My list of acts I cannot stand include:

Taylor Swift

Beyonce

Rihanna (post- Umbrella)

Drake

Nicki Minaj

Kanye West

Radiohead

Kasey Chambers

I'm also over all the random collaborations that occur these days. Back in the days it use to be a big deal when big names collaborated with each other eg MIchael Jackson/Paul McCartney, George Michael/Aretha Franklin or Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston. There would be a buzz and build up for the release. But these days if I found out that Ed Sheeran was teaming up with Adele for a song, rather than be curious about the song I would probably feel Meh about the news and think 'Whatever' because nearly every song in the chart feels like they have a featuring credit attached to it. Pretty sure a lot of my resentment for the people above, especially Drake, Rihanna and Nicki, is because of the collaboration effect

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

Rihanna (post- Umbrella)

I loved Rihanna during her Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded days, played her CD almost every day while driving. but haven't liked her since.

I also agree about the random collaborations.

Edited by Ohwell
On 1/28/2017 at 9:30 PM, Bill1978 said:

nearly every song in the chart feels like they have a featuring credit attached to it.

I recall listening (not really watching) to some music awards show while doing some work or reading, idr which one, they are all so samo-samo these days, but for the top awards, especially for the women, nearly every song did have some featuring credit.  it was ridiculous.  

Christopher Cross is far and away my least favorite singer ever. I unfortunately work in grocery stores, so there's always a chance that his lazy, narcissistic, drawling, castrated whine of a voice will infect my work day. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Ted Nugent (I actually despise him as a person)

The Who

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Van Halen

Radiohead

most R. E. M.

Rihanna

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 1
On 01/25/2017 at 9:14 PM, Ohwell said:

Adele.  I'm so sick of the wailing about love gone wrong.  No wonder they left your ass.   

This!

Adele had one decent song and then spent years living off it along with a shedload of "oh woe is me" derivitve warblings that would make anyone reach out for a shotgun. That and the fact she swears like a trooper in concert.

Cheer up ffs!

• Love 1

I'd like to know what it would take for fans of Justin Bieber and Ted Nugent to say ' Yeah, he was wrong. He went too far. It's all his fault and he needs to take his medicine. I'm DONE with him.'

• Love 1
13 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

The other night friends of mine went to a concert featuring Styx and REO Speedwagon and that would be the seventh circle of hell for me. 

I like SOME of REO Speedwagon's stuff. Ironically, a song I really like from the band is from 1979, "Back On The Road Again", which didn't have Kevin Crogan on vocals.

As for Styx, I like ONE song. One. (Used to like two but "Renegade" got WAY overplayed.) "Snowblind", and it's probably because the beginning reminded me more of ZZ Top than Styx:

• Love 1
10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

As for Styx, I like ONE song. One. (Used to like two but "Renegade" got WAY overplayed.)

I have to deal with "Renegade" on a regular basis because I'm a season ticket holder for the local hockey team and the song is used during the player intros as they skate onto the ice.  At least the supremely vocally annoying Dennis DeYoung doesn't sing lead on it.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I have to deal with "Renegade" on a regular basis because I'm a season ticket holder for the local hockey team and the song is used during the player intros as they skate onto the ice.  At least the supremely vocally annoying Dennis DeYoung doesn't sing lead on it.

YES to your Dennis DeYoung assessment. If I have to tolerate Styx, give me Tommy Shaw, please.

• Love 1

Old BritPop bands like ColdPlay, Stereophonics, Blur and Oasis - all of which were pretty awesome in their day in the sun, but look rather plodding and irrelevant today. 

Demi Lovato ~ She doesn't sing, she screams off-key. Shame, too, because I like a couple of her songs ("Skyscraper," "Give Your Heart a Break," "Stone Cold," "Confident," etc.), just wish somebody else was singing them. I hate that she's at all the tribute and awards shows doing covers.

Nicole Scherzinger ~ I've never like the Pussy Cat Dolls, and she just seems stuck on herself.

Camila ~ The Fifth Harmony girl with the horrible voice who thought she could do a Beyonce, lol.

Jennifer Lopez, John Mayer, Kanye West, Jay Z, Justin Timberlake, Robin Thicke, Chris Brown

I'll say that I do like Taylor Swift as a songwriter (even though she can't sing), but her personality is so off-putting and eyeroll-worthy.

Country (I don't listen to country radio anymore because of the dearth and disrespect of female artists, but I do keep up with my favorites and watch the laughable awards shows still.)

Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, Big N Rich, Trace Adkins, Florida Georgia Line, Scotty McCreery

Miranda Lambert ~ She has a couple songs I like--mostly ballads--but something about her I've always found unlikable. The undeserving string of awards over the years didn't make me like her more, I know.

Little Big Town ~ I didn't like them anyway, and it doesn't help that so many of their songs take seem to take years and years to go away (Motorboatin' was the absolute worst).

Kenny Chesney ~ He seems like a nice guy, but I just have never liked anything he's put out.

• Love 1

Pitbull- He is just awful and looks like a total slime ball up on the stage.

Nicki Minaj- First, she thinks she is Gods gift to Rap and she is just foul. The sad thing is if you ever hear her actually sing it isn't bad at all.

Beyonce- Sure she has talent, but she also is so damn full of herself. I can't stand it.

Adele- See Beyonce

Taylor Swift- I suppose if you enjoy the sort of music she writes she is a very talented song writer, but her live voice is very weak.

• Love 1

After watching a hip-hop documentary last night, it reminded me how much I absolutely cannot stand Puff Daddy/P.Diddy/Sean Combs.

I've always believed he was involved in Biggie's death. I also believe he was responsible for getting Tupac shot in the recording studio and setting off the whole rivalry....putting his label on the map. He left Shyne to take the full fall for his involvement in the NY nightclub shooting in 1999.....so to me, he is just as ruthless/evil  as Suge Knight, he's just a smarter businessman.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 1
On 8/15/2017 at 0:25 AM, AgentRXS said:

After watching a hip-hop documentary last night, it reminded me how much I absolutely cannot stand Puff Daddy/P.Diddly/Sean Combs.

What's the name of it? Was it on TV or like Netflix or something?

12 hours ago, Popples said:

What's the name of it? Was it on TV or like Netflix or something?

The Defiant Ones.....It was on HBO. It's primary focus was on the relationship between Jimmy Iovine (former record exec at Interscope Records)  and Dr.Dre. Its a 4 part series. Part 3 deals heavily with the Tupac/Death Row Records era.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 1

Taylor Swift: cannot stand her voice, her trying to be cool by dropping "some mad shade y'all" schtick and her victim routine.

Any of the 1D guys: none of them have released any good music but yet, they're everywhere.

Ed Sheeran: hasn't been good since +.

Lady Gaga: never found her music entertaining.

All of the mumble rappers out there right now (e.g. Future, XXX-whatever, the many Lil' somethings etc): I can't hear most of what they're saying tbh.

The girl who left Fifth Harmony: her voice is incredibly shrill & irritating.

Diplo/Major Lazer: they haven't made good music since 2013 if I'm being kind.

Justin Beiber.

Lorde/Lana Del Rey: they put me to sleep.

Most of the pop acts out there (except Fifth Harmony who after multiple listens to their latest album thanks to my sister, I may now like).

Khalid: snore fest of an album and a close to monotone voice.

DJ Khaled: way too much of him around these days.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 2
On 9/7/2017 at 11:14 AM, CaughtOnTape said:

I swear to god if I have to walk into my gym to hear one of the annoying high school boys has put on Drake one more time I will get violent.

I cannot stand him.

How he has a career is beyond me.

ESPN's Bomani Jones put it best, "I'm not one of those guys who hates on millennials, but how you gonna make this buster your #1 MC?"

• Love 4