Type keyword(s) to search

Bands & Singers You Just Can't Stand

UYI
  • Start Topic

On 10/21/2020 at 5:43 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I have to agree, not much of a voice there, pretty sad what the younger public actually consider passes for great singers anymore.

I'm 39, but Billie Eilish is slowly but surely growing on me.  I've probably played you should see me in a crown 50 times, this year.

But, this topic is for artists we hate, so I'll get to it: to me, the biggest offense as an artist is to be bland, not annoying.  If you're annoying, at least you're something.  If you're so inoffensive I want to check to see if you still have a pulse, that's a problem.  For me, bands like Maroon 5, Coldplay, or Train fit that bill.  Flames, on the side of my face.

• LOL 3

I like Imagine Dragons. I'm not sure if it's entirely ironic enjoyment because in the right mood, I genuinely enjoy their music. But it's the same way I felt with early (like Just One of the Boys) Katy Perry. Like, I love that they tried to write another song called "Yesterday" and thought it would be a good idea to periodically shout "yesterday." Is it good? Is it bad? Idk anymore. But it makes me laugh.

Whitney Houston's voice has always been fingernails on a blackboard - so high pitched and sharp. 

Queen (and I certainly didn't see the movie as I knew I'd have a hard time listening to them). Just too irritating.

Jennifer Lopez. Nasally voice.  One time I saw her and her ex-husband singing together at an awards show.  She began singing first, a few bars. Then her ex started singing and it was such a shock, the difference...hearing a real, gifted singing voice.  She should've been ashamed to be on the same stage with him.

Johnny Cash.  That voice, IMO, is like mud.  It was tough watching the Ken Burns country music special as Cash dominated almost the whole damn series. 

ABBA. I never really appreciated their music until I saw Mamma Mia.  The cast singing ABBA songs made those songs come alive.  I think it was the two female singers' operatic voices that turned me off...way too OTT soprano.  Wish I'd purchased the musical's soundtrack.

Whitney Houston had one of the best singing voices til drugs took their toll, gutted me how the world lost such a great talent. I always loved Agnetha's and Frieda's vocals, especially their harmonies, combine that with geniuses Bennie and Bjorn, no wonder they are the #3 biggest all time selling group ever. I think only Michael Jackson and The Beatles have sold more albums. Will be interesting to hear Abba's new album when it's released. 

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Jennifer Lopez. Nasally voice.  One time I saw her and her ex-husband singing together at an awards show.  She began singing first, a few bars. Then her ex started singing and it was such a shock, the difference...hearing a real, gifted singing voice.  She should've been ashamed to be on the same stage with him.

She's a tone-deaf thief.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:10 PM, estellasmum said:

Imaginary Dragons. I hate them so much, I refuse to call them by their correct name.

I loathe them. With most musical acts I "don't like," I am more just indifferent, and most people have at least one song I like. Not these people. I actively dislike every song of theirs I've ever heard.

• Love 1
On 10/30/2020 at 2:34 PM, janie jones said:

With most musical acts I "don't like," I am more just indifferent, and most people have at least one song I like. Not these people. I actively dislike every song of theirs I've ever heard.

That's almost me with Red Hot Chili Peppers; I can maybe handle "Love Rollercoaster" (only because it's a decent cover of a song I kind of liked to begin with), but I otherwise hate all their songs I know and will immediately change the station when they come on or cringe until they're done if they play in a bar.

It wasn't always like that, either; I quickly got so ever-loving sick of "Under the Bridge" for how often it was played that other songs of theirs I'd been "eh, fine" on suddenly and permanently also became unbearable to me.  I really cannot listen to them, other than that one song (which I will still skip past if I'm in control, but won't twitch if I have to be subjected to it).

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

It wasn't always like that, either; I quickly got so ever-loving sick of "Under the Bridge" for how often it was played that other songs of theirs I'd been "eh, fine" on suddenly and permanently also became unbearable to me. 

Remember about fourteen years ago, Gap marketing featured Audrey Hepburn dancing around to "Back in Black"? I worked at the Gap at the time, and that song played on the Muzak. The playlists were relatively extensive at the time; you ordinarily wouldn't hear a song more than twice per shift. But they really wanted to drive home this goddamn black pant nonsense, so it was on the playlist multiple times. I still can't stand listening to that song.

An oldie but baddie: Bob Dylan. I don't care how 'brilliant' his lyrics were, he always had nails-on-chalkboard . ..intonations from Day One. And it seems he didn't make the slightest attempt to try to . ..intone anywhere near the pitch or beat of whatever background instruments were playing. I heard that he started out as JUST a songwriter but some supposed 'friends' convinced him to unleash his nasally,toneless vocalizations on the world. With 'friends' like that, ears don't need any enemies! 

P.S. Seeing how drug usage has decimated three generations and now working on a fourth from the mid 1960's onward, I especially loathe his 'Everybody  Must Get Stoned' song (and I've never heard him regret or apologize for having put that one out). 

• Love 2