Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

Who charges their phone in a medical waiting room?  We've found a new level of entitlement.  

I'm glad we have holidays during Joy Anna's pregnancy or I fear it would seem as long as Jill's.  I've developed a new appreciation for people who wait until close to five months to make a public announcement.  

• Love 5
15 hours ago, MamaMax said:

Ok don't hate me, but... I'm going to have to defend this a bit.

The idea that parents should put their relationship with one another as primary is not new, and it's not necessarily bad advice. Over the past few generations, the family has become more and more child-centered and parents have naturally kind of let their relationship take a back seat.  But without tending the relationship, it can easily break down. Without this central relationship as the glue, the family can fall apart. Also, when kids are grown and flown, the married couple may find they have drifted so far apart, they no longer have a strong connection.

I DO believe that the marriage/relationship between parents is central in a family and it needs to be cared for. And like the old saying goes, the best gift you can give your kids is parents who love each other.

Of course, things don't always work out the way we want, but I think the idea is being mis-characterized as "We only care about each other, the kids can go rot." WHich may be how Boob and MEchelle carry it out, but it's not what's meant.

Yeah, I agree with you. I believe this myself, actually. That was just my loathing of what I'm pretty sure is JB's and M's personal interpretation of this (although it wouldn't surprise me if it's Gothard's too, since he's a child hater, in my opinion). 

I've wanted them off tv before they ever went on tv. Seeing psychological sickness and mean selfishness and greed whitewashed as "wholesome" "entertainment" sends me over the edge sometimes. And not infrequently. And in their warpedness they've used this idea as an additional excuse to neglect a warehouse full of children, in my opinion. Same way they use everything. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Temperance said:

Putting your hands/arms in front of your stomach could also be a protective gesture of yourself if you weren't comfortable (even if the person wasn't pregnant).  So Joy who's always kind of in the background could shy about being the center of attention and put her arms somewhat defensively. 

I was wondering why, in every photo we've seen of Joy (including JoKen's wedding), she is doing the belly-cradle with her hands.  I don't know if it's a protective thing as mentioned above, or if she's showing off her baby bump because for her, getting pregnant is her life's crowning achievement.  It's odd.  Did Jill/Jessa do the same thing when they were pregnant?

• Love 3
12 hours ago, queenanne said:

Both are possibly true, but I always thought that people who objected, were objecting to those people who tend to turn themselves into slaves to their children.  We've all seen the type; those who hotly aver with lots of caps, and boldface, and exclamation points on message boards, that their child comes first, and always has, does, and will, no matter what the situation or circumstance; about which, I usually find myself thinking, "That poor husband." 

Again, I think this is perfectly healthy when it comes to things like "saving the kids from disaster".  When it comes to "things such as allowing the child to constantly interrupt the parents, instead of telling them that we will talk when I finish this conversation with your father/mother", and - well, I'll give a real-life example of "slaves to the children".  I went to a doctor's appointment a few weeks ago, and had to sit in the waiting room (it's a small waiting room.  Two of the four seats were taken up by charging electronic devices.  I had to perch on the end of one).  Two other people were present, one of them a preteen boy playing on a smartphone and listening to some loud hostile-sounding music.  When the mother exits the doctor's office and tries to tell the boy it's time to leave, the boy announces that he has to finish the level he's on in his smartphone game. 

At which point the mother, begins to pace aimlessly and neuteredly up and down the hall, waiting for the boy to finish the level on his video game.

Now, I'm all for actually asking and taking into consideration what your kids want, and not just treating them as parcels to be moved around in the mail.  I tried to imagine, for just a minute, a scenario where in the 1970s, my mother would have agreed to curtail her errand schedule and stand around at my leisure and pleasure, waiting for me to tell her when I was good and ready to go somewhere (because of course, that's what the scant four chairs in a tiny waiting room are for - for people who have finished their business, to surmount another level of Candy Crush.)  I thought to myself, "Here we are witnessing in the flesh, one of those fabled parents "raising kids to believe they are the center of the universe.  Sure, whenever you're good and ready to leave, kid." (When the mother exited the doctor's office, I grant that she apologized to me for owning one of the charging devices keeping me from having a full seat to myself.  Preteen didn't even acknowledge it.  While I do think there's a small modicum of room for "he shouldn't automatically be responsible for his mother's electronic devices"; by the same token, IMO, Mom absolutely should've said to Son when she entered the doctor's office, "You keep an eye out for if anyone wants this seat and move my phone."  If such a thing happened, which I doubt, she certainly never called him to attention for it.)  

The hairs on the back of my neck are standing at attention reading this. You're much, much nicer than I am because I would have unplugged the device on the chair, handed it to the person and then sat my ass down.    I'm so happy that my daughter is raising her kids like she was raised. My kids were raised to know from day one that no means no and that they are NOT the boss. When we went someplace I would tell them how I expected them to behave and I would tell them the consequences if they didn't behave. The consequence was always having their favorite things taken away until they earned them back with proper behavior. And you can bet that my kids always said please, thank you and I'm sorry. They weren't perfect of course but I could take them anywhere and never had to worry about their behavior. Today's parents really piss me off. 

• Love 16

Joy's belly button is still an innie. I think the normal pregnancy weight gain and the letting her belly hang loose, have caught up with each other and averaged out. She doesn't look that huge for someone who is around 5+ months pregnant.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:08 PM, GleamingMist said:

Is pre-eclampsia a genetic thing?  Would the Duggar girls be more prone to it if Michelle had it?

It does have a little bit of a genetic component.  Biggest cause is primiparity: it's most common in women having their first baby.  Women who are overweight to start, who already have high blood pressure before pregnancy (like Michelle, I think), women who are older and women who have had it before are also more likely to get it.  This is especially true if a woman had a history of severe pre-eclampsia starting in the second trimester like Michelle did.  I am sure doctors told her it would almost inevitably happen again.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, louannems said:

Did Jill/Jessa do the same thing when they were pregnant?

ALL fundies always cradle their pregnant bellies.  Got to show off god's special blessing, and tell the world that you're anti-abortion!

Of course, if you're Meechelle, for example, you do this and then completely ignore the child -- to the point of barely even feeding him/her -- for the rest of its natural life. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Absolom said:

Who charges their phone in a medical waiting room?  We've found a new level of entitlement.  

I'm glad we have holidays during Joy Anna's pregnancy or I fear it would seem as long as Jill's.  I've developed a new appreciation for people who wait until close to five months to make a public announcement.  

A lot of people, I'm sad to say.  I have found IV pumps, etc., unplugged in order to accommodate someone's phone.  It's very common.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

A lot of people, I'm sad to say.  I have found IV pumps, etc., unplugged in order to accommodate someone's phone.  It's very common.

I read recently where some 26 year old unplugged Grandpa's life support to plug in her phone.  Don't see how that could be true, though. What with alarms and all.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

I read recently where some 26 year old unplugged Grandpa's life support to plug in her phone.  Don't see how that could be true, though. What with alarms and all.

I was just in the hospital for a week. Those IV alarms got ignored all the time by the (overworked) nursing staff. 

• Love 6

In the hospital where I work, things like that are plugged into covered outlets, the covers can only be removed by maintenance, using special keys.

Back to Joy & Austin (and the rest of the bunch I guess), since they're so into 'flipping houses' - supposedly, have we ever seen the Duggars sell any of the houses they say they're working on, you'd think they'd encourage the non-ministry kids to try for Real Estate licenses so when they get called grifters and layabouts, they could at least point to that as an FU to their detractors.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, kalamac said:

In the hospital where I work, things like that are plugged into covered outlets, the covers can only be removed by maintenance, using special keys.

Back to Joy & Austin (and the rest of the bunch I guess), since they're so into 'flipping houses' - supposedly, have we ever seen the Duggars sell any of the houses they say they're working on, you'd think they'd encourage the non-ministry kids to try for Real Estate licenses so when they get called grifters and layabouts, they could at least point to that as an FU to their detractors.

I don;t think Jim Bob wants to encourage any of his offspring to make money of their own. They might get out of his control.

By subtly encouraging everybody to do the ministry/mission/preacher/pastor thing -- I want to be a preacher-mechanic! -- he can keep them away from their own money and he can prove that he's not only produced the very biggest family evah but the godliest as well. 

I do wonder, though. As the money tree teeters, is he having second thoughts about raising a bunch of uneducated people who believe you should never seek employment outside the home?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

By subtly encouraging everybody to do the ministry/mission/preacher/pastor thing -- I want to be a preacher-mechanic! 

And all the secondary occupations are ones that JB can use to his own advantage. A pilot to fly him around, a mechanic to fix his vehicles, a "midwife" for all the babies being born...

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, kalamac said:

That would require actual work and intelligence.

• Love 1
On 11/13/2017 at 9:42 AM, Absolom said:

I'm probably just misunderstanding, but if there is an available outlet, and you are not taking up an entire chair for your phone, why would this be an issue? I'm one of those people who has never entirely gotten used to using a cell phone, so there are times when it's low on battery life at inopportune times. Sometimes, even, when a parent ends up in the emergency room at odd hours and the family needs to be kept informed of what's going on. If it's a long wait and lots of people to call, even a reasonably charged battery may start to go. There have certainly been times when I've had to find the nearest available outlet to plug into. Naturally, I'd never unplug anything to do so, but phones do need to be charged...

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm probably just misunderstanding, but if there is an available outlet, and you are not taking up an entire chair for your phone, why would this be an issue? I'm one of those people who has never entirely gotten used to using a cell phone, so there are times when it's low on battery life at inopportune times. Sometimes, even, when a parent ends up in the emergency room at odd hours and the family needs to be kept informed of what's going on. If it's a long wait and lots of people to call, even a reasonably charged battery may start to go. There have certainly been times when I've had to find the nearest available outlet to plug into. Naturally, I'd never unplug anything to do so, but phones do need to be charged...

I work in hospitals and it is fine with me and those of us who work there if someone wants to use an available outlet in the waiting area or in a patient's room to charge a phone.  Not a big deal although portable batteries for charging phones are pretty cheap.  I keep one in my purse.  However, if a visitor is in a restricted area like an exam room, a procedure room, radiology and the like; I'd recommend asking first, sometimes, outlets need to be kept open for potential use in an emergency.  BTW, every single day, in my office, I have to ask multiple women to set their cell phones down so I can examine them properly.  And, I have been gobsmacked on more than one occasion to be told that an individual ALWAYS texts while being examined.  One told me, "I've never had a pelvic exam without my mom texting with me".  Whacky shit, IMO.

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I work in hospitals and it is fine with me and those of us who work there if someone wants to use an available outlet in the waiting area or in a patient's room to charge a phone.  Not a big deal although portable batteries for charging phones are pretty cheap.  I keep one in my purse.  However, if a visitor is in a restricted area like an exam room, a procedure room, radiology and the like; I'd recommend asking first, sometimes, outlets need to be kept open for potential use in an emergency.  BTW, every single day, in my office, I have to ask multiple women to set their cell phones down so I can examine them properly.  And, I have been gobsmacked on more than one occasion to be told that an individual ALWAYS texts while being examined.  One told me, "I've never had a pelvic exam without my mom texting with me".  Whacky shit, IMO.

Thanks...I guess I'll have to look into the portable battery thing, as I wasn't even entirely aware of those. Assuming that's something else I'd have to remember to charge, though? Not my forte. But times change, and I do need to learn to keep up with them. It really is hard to fathom how completely dependent "kids these days" are on their phones, though...My three do sometimes use theirs to the point where it irks me a little, but are capable of putting them down for reasonably long stretches of time when appropriate. I can't even imagine texting DURING a medical exam/procedure! WTF??

• Love 8

I have never seen anyone charge a phone in a doctor's waiting room.  I'm not even sure where to look for outlets in any we visit.  I have seen a charging station in a hospital ER though and that I can understand.  Unplugging medical equipment anywhere to plug in a phone is beyond rude and narcissistic.  Yes, the portable batteries are great and keep people from being such pains to the rest of the world.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I have never seen anyone charge a phone in a doctor's waiting room.  I'm not even sure where to look for outlets in any we visit.  I have seen a charging station in a hospital ER though and that I can understand.  Unplugging medical equipment anywhere to plug in a phone is beyond rude and narcissistic.  Yes, the portable batteries are great and keep people from being such pains to the rest of the world.

In my experience, outlets are located in pretty much the same place in any room, whatever its function. Somewhere around the perimeter of the room, there is usually an outlet or two on each wall. Or do some of the newer phones need a specific sort of charging outlet? What's a "charging station" per se, as opposed to an outlet? I'm feeling really old right now! LOL

• Love 1

I know where outlets normally are.  I don't think the dentist office waiting room has any and neither does my rheumatologist's waiting room.   A charging station is an area made for people to charge devices and is usually a shelf or counter type thing with multiple outlets so many devices can be charging at the same time. They can be designed in multiple ways, but basically an area established for charging phones, tablets, laptops, etc.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I know where outlets normally are.  I don't think the dentist office waiting room has any and neither does my rheumatologist's waiting room.   A charging station is an area made for people to charge devices and is usually a shelf or counter type thing with multiple outlets so many devices can be charging at the same time. They can be designed in multiple ways, but basically an area established for charging phones, tablets, laptops, etc.

My library has charging stations complete with all the various cords. Considering how many homeless use the library I think it's really compassionate. 

• Love 18

Call me extreme, but I would ask before plugging my phone in to charge if I was anywhere but home or my accommodation. Then again, I don't take my charger anywhere.

Surely these days, now JB and M have checked out, it would be easy for a Duggarlet and his/her courtee to sneak out the back during a family event and do the deed. It would take a vigilant sibling to notice the pair sneakily exiting separately. Go Joy and Austin, if they did.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Thanks...I guess I'll have to look into the portable battery thing, as I wasn't even entirely aware of those. Assuming that's something else I'd have to remember to charge, though? Not my forte. But times change, and I do need to learn to keep up with them. It really is hard to fathom how completely dependent "kids these days" are on their phones, though...My three do sometimes use theirs to the point where it irks me a little, but are capable of putting them down for reasonably long stretches of time when appropriate. I can't even imagine texting DURING a medical exam/procedure! WTF??

I have 2 portable charges. One does require charging, the other takes 4 AAA batteries to use. Priceless in extreme weather. 

I was in the ER the other night---horrible shoulder pain---and the nurse asked me if I needed my phone (it was in my purse) to call somebody. I asked her if it would help saw off my shoulder, if not, it was useless. She looked at me like I had 3 heads---to be fair, I was in a lot of pain (I tore my rotator cuff), it was late and I was tired, but I'm also an average 30 something who everyone would expect to be glued to a phone. 

Edited by Loves2Dance
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

But we didn't always have cell phones. My mom was in the hospital way before cell phones and I managed to call everyone and let them know. 

I'd be embarrassed to charge my phone in a public place. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

But we didn't always have cell phones. My mom was in the hospital way before cell phones and I managed to call everyone and let them know. 

Well, yeah, exactly. And that's where my mindset tends to be. But over the past few years there have been a number  times when I needed to make an unexpected phone call and there was not a public phone to be found so I eventually had to bother someone who was willing to let me call from their cell phone. Which is why I'm really trying to get used to carrying my own, but it's been a bit of a learning curve. Maybe I just haven't managed to make that adjustment as easily as most people seem to...

Just now, Jynnan tonnix said:

Well, yeah, exactly. And that's where my mindset tends to be. But over the past few years there have been a number  times when I needed to make an unexpected phone call and there was not a public phone to be found so I eventually had to bother someone who was willing to let me call from their cell phone. Which is why I'm really trying to get used to carrying my own, but it's been a bit of a learning curve. Maybe I just haven't managed to make that adjustment as easily as most people seem to...

Plus, nobody knows phone numbers these days. I always write my phone contacts in an actual address book and keep it in my purse in case my phone dies or I forget it. I'm the only person I know who does this. I don't want to rely on my phone to hold all of my contact numbers. 

I hope you know my above comment wasn't directed at you personally. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

Exactly. We got through life very successfully without needing a phone the majority of the time. The hospital is one thing, in emergencies, but rarely does one truly need to make calls while grocery shopping, riding the bus, driving, etc. just make a call later when you're done.

1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

Plus, nobody knows phone numbers these days. I always write my phone contacts in an actual address book and keep it in my purse in case my phone dies or I forget it. I'm the only person I know who does this. I don't want to rely on my phone to hold all of my contact numbers. 

I hope you know my above comment wasn't directed at you personally. 

I love this! I'm always afraid what will happen to young people if they get mugged and lose their phones, etc. will they even know their friends' or families' phone numbers?

• Love 3

I'm by no means young and if my cell phone and mini iPad die, I'd only know how to call my husband. Shameful but true. I think I'm going to pick up a small address book and keep my phone numbers there.

Jinnan tonnix, we have two of these, and they sure come in handy. Best part is we bought them on sale for $13 each. About the size of a lipstick.  We also have a larger one where two devices can be charged at once but hardly ever use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Technology-Certified-Lightning/dp/B00M8YXV1Q

Edited by SMama
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, SMama said:

I'm by no means young and if my cell phone and mini iPad die, I'd only know how to call my husband. Shameful but true. I think I'm going to pick up a small address book and keep my phone numbers there.

Jinnan tonnix, we have two of these, and they sure come in handy. Best part is we bought them on sale for $13 each. About the size of a lipstick.  We also have a larger one where two devices can be charged at one but hardly ever use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Technology-Certified-Lightning/dp/B00M8YXV1Q

Thanks! Will make sure I get one or two of these gadgets! At least I have pretty much all the numbers I ever use (husband, Mom, kids, and a couple of friends) committed to memory.

I was told hospitals in particular and other places, tend to drain cell phone batteries if you don't change the wifi setting on your phone because the phone will keep searching for a connection.

Unfortunately I'm a frequent flyer in emergency departments due to a couple of family members whose health care require emergent interventions. I was recently there with my adult son and the nurse plugged his phone charger in right under all the heavy equipment. Because I'm always the support person I frequently drain my battery by playing word games and keeping family members up to date and have often plugged in to recharge too. We always try to ask first because it feels kind of like helping yourself to food in someones fridge.

There are not many pay phones around and borrowing a plug is much less of a nuance than asking to use a landline phone. And when all else fails, I sit in the car for a few minutes and recharge in there.

And one more thing, many of the employees have had cell phones since their teens and see asking to charge a phone in the same light as asking for some water.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

I have 2 portable charges. One does require charging, the other takes 4 AAA batteries to use. Priceless in extreme weather. 

I was in the ER the other night---horrible shoulder pain---and the nurse asked me if I needed my phone (it was in my purse) to call somebody. I asked her if it would help saw off my shoulder, if not, it was useless. She looked at me like I had 3 heads---to be fair, I was in a lot of pain (I tore my rotator cuff), it was late and I was tired, but I'm also an average 30 something who everyone would expect to be glued to a phone. 

will you require surgery to repair your shoulder? i hope not - btdt 3 times and guess what? i am facing it again once we get insurance. GAH!!!

• Love 2
Just now, zoomama said:

will you require surgery to repair your shoulder? i hope not - btdt 3 times and guess what? i am facing it again once we get insurance. GAH!!!

We are doing another MRI soon and then we'll determine whether or not I can starve off surgery or not. I'm hoping to push it, at least, until the new year---I'm a mom with 2 young kids, December is NOT the month for me to be on my butt in a bed. But from what my Dr. said, it's likely going to be required. Fingers crossed you get yours soon. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

It's good that they can no longer deny people insurance for pre-existing conditions.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, ariel said:

It's good that they can no longer deny people insurance for pre-existing conditions.

but they can and DO charge you huge amounts of money. we were paying well over $1000 to have insurance for two people plus co-pays on everything!  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I've given up on rude patients being on their cell phones while I'm trying to take their radiographs.   If a deep breath and hold is needed, no phone , of course.  But I've x-rayed lots of body parts while patients blab on their phones, all while I'm giving positioning instructions!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Hope you are feeling better @Loves2Dance, and if you need surgery, it is soon and successful. We want you up dancing soon. (Says @Love2dance)

• Love 3
8 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

So I was on Wikipedia seeking out the name of Anna's newest M, and was surprised to see a due date in February for Joy.  Has this been announced?

I don't remember a formal announcement. It would be her nine months anniversary so it's possible wikipedia just guessed she's having a honeymoon baby.

• Love 1

Joy has also said she’s due close to end of Feb or maybe early March. Given the endless supply of chaperones, I’m pretty sure they haven’t had the opportunity to sneak off and do the deed. Jim Boob threatened to put the hammer down on Joy because Jinger broke some of the rules.

If they broke the rules and did the deed , they certainly would not be the first kids to do so. No big deal, but Duggars think they are so much more holy than the rest of us. They’d have so much more appeal if they would just admit they aren’t perfect. That is, not use not being perfect, as a rebuttal to Chester Molester’s behavior and covering it up.

• Love 2

"Break the courting rules?" I thought it was the couple's own decision what THEIR courting rules would be. If that were so, there wouldn't be any consequences, ie, forgiveness needed, if they decided to go ahead and hold hands or kiss one another. It goes to show you, they're full of it with the 'couple's own decision'. They have no real say in the rules as their father sets the rules FOR THEM and they're obligated to follow them. How can people not see this? They're speaking out of both sides of their mouths....liars that they are.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Joy has also said she’s due close to end of Feb or maybe early March. Given the endless supply of chaperones, I’m pretty sure they haven’t had the opportunity to sneak off and do the deed. Jim Boob threatened to put the hammer down on Joy because Jinger broke some of the rules.

If they broke the rules and did the deed , they certainly would not be the first kids to do so. No big deal, but Duggars think they are so much more holy than the rest of us. They’d have so much more appeal if they would just admit they aren’t perfect. That is, not use not being perfect, as a rebuttal to Chester Molester’s behavior and covering it up.

Which rules did Jinger break? Full-frontal hugs? Texting past 10 pm on a school night? 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

Which rules did Jinger break? Full-frontal hugs? Texting past 10 pm on a school night? 

Haha, school night for the Duggars, probably not ever a thing. But I do think Jinger and Jer might not have included Boob on all their texts.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Haha, school night for the Duggars, probably not ever a thing. But I do think Jinger and Jer might not have included Boob on all their texts.

Their physical affection also pushed to the very edges of the definition of side hugs. And Jeremy liked to flaunt that right in Boob's stupid face. I like to think if Jeremy and Jinger were on that mini golf date, he would have responded to the "You can't do this yet!" gloating with "Watch me."

• Love 12