Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

Joy posted about Gideon’s glasses and confirmed they are prescription. Now here’s where she loses me. Joy said she found out AFTER she bought them that they are too big. How the hell does that happen? SGirl has been wearing glasses since first grade (10th now), a few times she has selected a frame and has been told she needs something smaller. SGirl tends to go for larger frames. Did Joy order them Online? Walmart has reasonably priced frames. Just found that weird. Still, Gideon does look adorable. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3

IIRC didn’t Joy hate her glasses as a child? Maybe she ordered kid’s glasses online without checking out the choices figuring there wasn’t much and it brought back bad memories. JB probably made her get the cheapest glasses, I don’t think you can buy “used and save the difference “ But at least Giddy has seen an eye doctor.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

IIRC didn’t Joy hate her glasses as a child? Maybe she ordered kid’s glasses online without checking out the choices figuring there wasn’t much and it brought back bad memories. JB probably made her get the cheapest glasses, I don’t think you can buy “used and save the difference “ But at least Giddy has seen an eye doctor.

Even the online glasses sites have kids' glasses broken down by age.,  They also give the basic measurements for each frame. It should be pretty close to impossible to get the wrong size.  Maybe she 'sized up' so he could grow into them and they could save?  Since kids' eyes change a lot in their younger years, probably not a good idea.  And, considering most of the kids' sites have frames for under 10 bucks in many cases, probably not necessary.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

I've worn glasses since I was eleven. I don't trust the online measuring sites and would rather try on the frames themselves to see how they fit. That said, if the frames are cheaper at Wal-Mart than, say, Visionworks, then I can see how one would get the frames at Wal-Mart and then perhaps bring them to the eyecare site where they could put in the lenses?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I've worn glasses since I was eleven. I don't trust the online measuring sites and would rather try on the frames themselves to see how they fit. That said, if the frames are cheaper at Wal-Mart than, say, Visionworks, then I can see how one would get the frames at Wal-Mart and then perhaps bring them to the eyecare site where they could put in the lenses?

The Walmart frames I referenced are in their vision center. Giddy would be fitted by the staff and they would also take care of measuring his optical center.

We have only used Walmart twice. Both times we were leaving on vacation and they had the fastest turn around time. On both instances we bought a spare set. We were happy with the glasses even if SGirl didn’t need them. I really hope they take Gideon to get a proper pair of glasses. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SMama said:

Joy posted about Gideon’s glasses and confirmed they are prescription. Now here’s where she loses me. Joy said she found out AFTER she bought them that they are too big. How the hell does that happen? SGirl has been wearing glasses since first grade (10th now), a few times she has selected a frame and has been told she needs something smaller. SGirl tends to go for larger frames. Did Joy order them Online? Walmart has reasonably priced frames. Just found that weird. Still, Gideon does look adorable. 

12 minutes ago, SMama said:

The Walmart frames I referenced are in their vision center. Giddy would be fitted by the staff and they would also take care of measuring his optical center.

We have only used Walmart twice. Both times we were leaving on vacation and they had the fastest turn around time. On both instances we bought a spare set. We were happy with the glasses even if SGirl didn’t need them. I really hope they take Gideon to get a proper pair of glasses. 

Yeah I have been getting my frames at Wal-Mart Vision Centers for years because of the price. They always fit them for me, and they've actually been pretty helpful in helping me with finding frames. Actually my most recent pair I got in June, and the first frames I selected, the person assisting me pointed out that the glasses didn't actually fit my nose well, so she found another pair that looked very similar but set better on my face. It wasn't something I'd ever have noticed while trying them on, but after she pointed it out, it was pretty obvious it was going to be an issue with them. 

I find it pretty hard to believe that Joy would have gotten anywhere in person without someone mentioning the fit issue or them noticing it if they'd bothered to try them on. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, SMama said:

A few years ago there was an event at Fort Rock. They were called on the Pearl’s abusive methods. Austin and Joy defended the Pearls, were proud to have been subjected to corporal punishment, and both felt they turned out just fine.

Yet, I’m blocked from her IG because I asked if they’re supporters of the Pearls’ methods. She actually posted a 🙄. Then blocked me. 

• Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, sagittarius sue said:

It looks like it might be a bit used to me.

Maybe some tears on the back.  Maybe the people are changing decor.  It happens.  Someone gave my neighbor a leather reclining sofa just because they didn't want it anymore.  It is in perfect condition.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Did Joy say she was getting Giddy a new pair? I wonder if Jessa "was gifted" a couch too. She has the exact same one. 

No, she didn’t mention getting a new pair. 

• Sad 1

Another satisfied Walmart glasses customer here.  I got a pair at the Walmart Vision Center in 2005 and wore them until 2020--yes, 15 years.  (I hate getting new glasses and my prescription had barely changed.)  I finally got a new pair in 2020, again at Walmart, and have been wearing them since with no problem.  Both times I brought in my prescription from my own eye doctor instead of using the Walmart Vision Center doctor.

Gideon is adorable in glasses, but yeah, I agree they're too big.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Isn't distance between the pupils matching up -- eyes vs, lenses -- important with glasses? If the frames are too big, wouldn't the center point be off? 

Could be.  Even the online glasses' sites like Warby Parker and Zenni give instructions as to how to measure the interpupillary distance.  It isn't hard.  My brother is constantly losing/destroying his glasses and his insurance only pays for new glasses every few years.  I went to the Zenni site, he picked the frames, I measured him up and we ordered them.  They even keep your prescription and measurements on file at the site so it is easy to order  replacements when he sits on them or drops them in the lake or otherwise renders them useless.  He wears bifocals and that is no problem either.  Under 40 bucks and they mail them straight to him.  Terrific.

If Giddy's glasses don't fit him properly, that is on Joy and Austin.  I don't even know how that could happen in this day and age,

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

If Giddy's glasses don't fit him properly, that is on Joy and Austin.  I don't even know how that could happen in this day and age,

I agree. If they made a mistake and the glasses were too big, another pair should've been ordered straight way. This is a NEED not a want for their child.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, beckie said:

Even if they refused to send them to public schools, they could send them to private school. I know they won't do anything other than homeschool, but they do have other options.

These two don’t value education if they’re not gonna send their kids to public school there’s no way they’ll pay for private education.

• Sad 5
  • Love 1

I forgot to mention that Walmart’s Vision Center also carries a decent number of kid frames that  have cartoon characters and other popular things with kids. I recall they had Transformers, Lego, Disney characters, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony, etc.

SBaba, big brother, and myself wear glasses full time. When SGirl needed glasses she saw it as normal, because of us. But I understand how some kids may be unsure about wearing glasses, especially Gideon’s age. Another reason why it baffles me how Giddy ended up with such ill fitting frames. The Duggars are all about Walmart, it’s hard to believe they didn’t consider browsing there. Vision care is not the place to cut corners, Joy and Austin. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, SMama said:

I forgot to mention that Walmart’s Vision Center also carries a decent number of kid frames that  have cartoon characters and other popular things with kids. I recall they had Transformers, Lego, Disney characters, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony, etc.

SBaba, big brother, and myself wear glasses full time. When SGirl needed glasses she saw it as normal, because of us. But I understand how some kids may be unsure about wearing glasses, especially Gideon’s age. Another reason why it baffles me how Giddy ended up with such ill fitting frames. The Duggars are all about Walmart, it’s hard to believe they didn’t consider browsing there. Vision care is not the place to cut corners, Joy and Austin. 

I think a lot of people wear glasses these days, so they don't have the stigma they may have had 60-70yrs ago (when my Mom was a kid and bullied for wearing glasses). It also may be the social circle you are in- if you come from a family where most people use corrective lenses, you see it as just a part of life. (like I consider contact solution a hygiene item not a prescription item). But if no one in your immediate circle does, you might not know about the options out there.

I don't doubt Joy and Austin love/care for Gideon, but I don't see them as being the most conscientious and aware about things that don't effect them personally. But I need to check my privilege, I was a grown ass woman in my 30s before I realized there are adults who wear prescription glasses and don't have prescription sunglasses for driving (yes I was super embarassed). So I will cut Joy/Austin a bit of slack- so long as they got it fixed quickly. Gideon isn't that old, they are new parents, and everyone makes mistakes.

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think a lot of people wear glasses these days, so they don't have the stigma they may have had 60-70yrs ago (when my Mom was a kid and bullied for wearing glasses). It also may be the social circle you are in- if you come from a family where most people use corrective lenses, you see it as just a part of life. (like I consider contact solution a hygiene item not a prescription item). But if no one in your immediate circle does, you might not know about the options out there.

I don't doubt Joy and Austin love/care for Gideon, but I don't see them as being the most conscientious and aware about things that don't effect them personally. But I need to check my privilege, I was a grown ass woman in my 30s before I realized there are adults who wear prescription glasses and don't have prescription sunglasses for driving (yes I was super embarassed). So I will cut Joy/Austin a bit of slack- so long as they got it fixed quickly. Gideon isn't that old, they are new parents, and everyone makes mistakes.

Joy, Jill, Jenny and Jana wear glasses, so Joy's not totally clueless about them.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

But I need to check my privilege, I was a grown ass woman in my 30s before I realized there are adults who wear prescription glasses and don't have prescription sunglasses for driving (yes I was super embarassed). So I will cut Joy/Austin a bit of slack- so long as they got it fixed quickly. Gideon isn't that old, they are new parents, and everyone makes mistakes.

We got a lot of criticism for getting SGirl prescription sunglasses with her first glasses. We were told it was unnecessary. Well, her father had them, her brother had them, and her mother had them. SGirl is not a second class citizen, we were not going to deny her the same comfort we had. We live in Southern California, it’s sunny, no one likes the sun messing with their eyes. Funny thing is the same people who criticized us would put regular sunglasses on infants. 🤦🏽‍♀️

On topic, I don’t expect Gideon to get expensive frames or Rx sunglasses. He does deserve the best care for his eyes. It’s the only set he will ever have.

• Like 6
51 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Joy was reading a kids book about whales on her IG stories. 

That IG post is proof that Joy has no business teaching anyone anything. First, she is reading Proverbs 2 to a 2 and a 4 year old. Not from a kids bible but from the very kid friendly KJV. 

Then Joy decides to demonstrate she can get down to a kid level when needed. She tells the kids that a blue whale is between 80-100 feet long. Cue the WOOOOOOOOOOOW! Except that again, that is meaningless to 2 year old Evy, and 4 year old Giddy. A better way to help the kids visualize the information is to just walk outside the home. Tell the kids that means the whale is as long (or longer) than their RV, or any other landmark at their disposal. Their kids are doomed,  Joy and her siblings at least got the basics. Gen 2 won’t even have that. I can’t believe Derick turned out to be the better husband and father in terms of providing what his family needs. 

Edited by SMama
  • Like 3
  • Sad 6
  • Love 2
On 9/1/2022 at 2:37 PM, SMama said:

For Gideon to attend real Pre K one of the parents has to believe that their homeschooling is not as good as a public school. Austin and Joy have the kool aid coursing through their veins. 

A few years ago there was an event at Fort Rock. They were called on the Pearl’s abusive methods. Austin and Joy defended the Pearls, were proud to have been subjected to corporal punishment, and both felt they turned out just fine.

Israel and Samuel are enrolled in public school because of Derick. No matter how much lip service he paid to homeschooling when Izzy was kindergarten age he gave up the pretense and made sure his child would get a good education. 

Austin’s hateful, barely literate father also thinks he is qualified  to dictate public school curriculum. The apple probably didn’t fall far from the tree.

18 hours ago, awaken said:

Yet, I’m blocked from her IG because I asked if they’re supporters of the Pearls’ methods. She actually posted a 🙄. Then blocked me. 

That really says it all, doesn’t it?

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 5
  • Love 5

Joy and Austin are visiting his parents. The kids are on a John Deer feeding carrots to the horses. Both are enjoying themselves, and Joy coaches them on the proper way to feed the horses.

It really is a shame that Joy is unable to educate her kids, because the farm, their love of the outdoors would make learning plain fun.

Is Austin’s BIL a lawyer? If true, Papa Forsyth can’t be that much against a proper education. Looking for the silver lining here, as long as Fort Rock keeps going, Austin’s offspring will have jobs. 

• Useful 3
3 minutes ago, SMama said:

Is Austin’s BIL a lawyer? If true, Papa Forsyth can’t be that much against a proper education.

I've never seen any indication of that. His brother in law's father is a lawyer. He used to work with Jim Bob's lawyer. But I don't think that the dad having a law degree is necessarily an endorsement of their views on education. They're all pretty outspoken homeschoolers. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Joy and Austin did just buy 11 acres 8/2022.  The property doesn't seem to have a house and the paperwork does not show yet

Austin seems to be doing some grading work. Joy said yesterday that he couldn't work in the dirt due to the weather. I'd wager that he's got a flip project there.

The property is listed as all pasture. It includes a 30' x 300' pole building/shed that looks ancient and seems to have a mostly collapsed roof.

They paid $159,000 and it is about 35 min. from the TTH.

one of Austin's llc's bought a small house in Benton County a year or so ago.  I think it is a rental, they own it but someone else lives there. (not a duggar or duggar adjacent)

• Useful 3
2 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

The property is listed as all pasture. It includes a 30' x 300' pole building/shed that looks ancient and seems to have a mostly collapsed roof.

They paid $159,000 and it is about 35 min. from the TTH.

one of Austin's llc's bought a small house in Benton County a year or so ago.  I think it is a rental, they own it but someone else lives there. (not a duggar or duggar adjacent)

They had $159,000 in cash?

Joy has a picture of her and Evy wearing matching dresses. I’m not a fan of twin outfits but Joy looks amazing. Maybe that quick getaway to visit Carlin helped her reset. Jessa wishes she looked that good and relaxed.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, SMama said:

Joy has a picture of her and Evy wearing matching dresses. I’m not a fan of twin outfits but Joy looks amazing. Maybe that quick getaway to visit Carlin helped her reset. Jessa wishes she looked that good and relaxed.

She does but why are the little girls barefooted in an asphalt parking lot?

• Like 4
  • Love 2