Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

90hzt3x328t91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

She doesn't even have a bump. Are we going to get weekly updates like we did when Jill was pregnant with Izzy. I hope her pregnancy doesn't go on forever.. but since she announced so early, I'm sure it will. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

#cantfixstupid

That little gadget is a life saver, I still have mine even though my car is fairly new. I’m surprised the kids can reach the overhead lights. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Madtown said:

B6A04582-BB54-4A4C-9932-BDD58722714D.jpeg

I feel for her. When I take my sister on rides she will fiddle with the overhead lights and I ALWAYS have to double check. Which is easy for me to do because I park in a garage and it’s dark so I notice if the light doesn’t go off. 

I could see if you’re busy wrangling the kids you would not think to check. 

• Like 10
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

She doesn't even have a bump. Are we going to get weekly updates like we did when Jill was pregnant with Izzy. I hope her pregnancy doesn't go on forever.. but since she announced so early, I'm sure it will. 

I’m sure that we will get regular pregnancy updates and bump pics. It’s all Duggars are good for. 

3 hours ago, Madtown said:

B6A04582-BB54-4A4C-9932-BDD58722714D.jpeg

How does this even happen, multiple times a week?  And she’s adding a third to the mix?  And is “homeschooling”?

• Sad 12
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

They aren't allowed to play with car parts/controls.  It's fairly simple.  

Exactly, touching or playing with any controls in the car including lights was always a no no.    But this is Joy and Austin, so they probably encourage it

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Exactly, touching or playing with any controls in the car including lights was always a no no.    But this is Joy and Austin, so they probably encourage it

These are the people who let their 4 year old play on a bulldozer barefoot. So yeah.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
Rouge comma!
  • Sad 12
27 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Wasn't Joy the one who claimed they hid the tv in the closet and only brought it out to watch on certain occasions?

Yes. She said Austin and her were watching too much TV at night so they put it in the closet. The picture shows the coffee table moved into the kitchen, up against the island with the TV on it. Normally the coffee table is in the living room.

That's a ridiculously big TV to be moving in and out of a closet though.

• Like 5
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I feel for her. When I take my sister on rides she will fiddle with the overhead lights and I ALWAYS have to double check. Which is easy for me to do because I park in a garage and it’s dark so I notice if the light doesn’t go off. 

I could see if you’re busy wrangling the kids you would not think to check. 

Shouldn't the kids be strapped into car seats or boosters?  How would they reach the lights?  I guess one could turn the lights on while the other is being strapped in, but by now she should be checking the lights after the kids exit the car.  Then again, Duggars do things differently . . . . 

• Like 4
  • Love 10

I think its great Joy is trying to meet Giddy where his is at with school, by recognizing sitting still for too long is hard for him, but I can't help but think her expectations may be too low. Also there's a big difference between sitting still and going out to play. How about reinforcing a math lesson by marching or clapping to get some energy out? Or reinforcing letter recognition by having letters on the fridge and and walking over and getting whatever letters he's working on?

Even with the interior car lights - Giddy is old enough to understand if he does that the car won't start. IMO, Giddy needs to be socialized with kids a year or two older because it seems that rather than taking on the big brother role to Evvy, he behaves more like someone her age.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Fosca said:

Shouldn't the kids be strapped into car seats or boosters?  How would they reach the lights?  I guess one could turn the lights on while the other is being strapped in, but by now she should be checking the lights after the kids exit the car.  Then again, Duggars do things differently . . . . 

I assume they do it on the way out of the car (after they are unbuckled). Now my sister is 5’9 so I might not have any idea what I’m talking about!😂 Now I do know to check after my sister but I have been at this a long time, (I’ve been driving her around alone for 20yrs) and consider myself a conscientious person. If you’re absent minded I DO see this happening a lot. 

• Like 8
  • Love 3

Joy added to her Insta-story. It is nail trimming day and Gideon isn’t thrilled. She has Evelyn recording. Evelyn did a closeup of herself. Pacifier in her mouth and snot all over. How hard is it to wipe your kid’s nose?  

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 11
42 minutes ago, Madtown said:

Joy added to her Insta-story. It is nail trimming day and Gideon isn’t thrilled. She has Evelyn recording. Evelyn did a closeup of herself. Pacifier in her mouth and snot all over. How hard is it to wipe your kid’s nose?  

Maybe its me, but I thought it was standard practice to trim kids nails after a bath. The kids are clean and the nails are soft. Is this just a me thing?

• Like 11

Joy posted a video about Gideon’s glasses. Color me surprised, the too big frames were not bought Online but at a vision center, just not Walmart. How did they get it wrong? The frames are Oakley, so not cheap ones either. I don’t understand why they didn’t suggest a smaller frame.

Joy said that the prescription in one eye is much stronger than the other. SGirl and SBaba have that issue and the difference is significant. That makes frame selection trickier but surmountable.

Here is where Joy loses me. She said the idea is for Gideon to wear glasses for 1-2 years and the issue will correct itself. Joy also said it was to avoid developing a lazy eye. How can Gideon have such a significant deficit and just correct it in two years? SGirl has been wearing glasses for nine years now and no correction. Initially her prescription changed by quite a bit yearly and we were very concerned. It has finally leveled in the past three years but no miracle recovery.  

I did find Gideon cute and the look on his face once he tries on his glasses is just too cute. When they get home Gideon looks down on the gravel and exclaims, “look Mama, ROCKS.” Awe, I remember those moments with both my kids.

Austin was home when they left, I didn’t think much of Joy taking Evy because I thought he had to work. But he was home when they returned. Why not keep Evy and allow Joy to concentrate on Gideon. 

• Useful 5

From Joy's stories, it seems like everyone has been sick. Joy complained about getting her voice back, but she sounded fine. I've had laryngitis for a week an am just getting a horribly raspy, croaky voice back. I sound awful. 

I don't want to heat it, Joy! 😂

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, SMama said:

Joy posted a video about Gideon’s glasses. Color me surprised, the too big frames were not bought Online but at a vision center, just not Walmart. How did they get it wrong? The frames are Oakley, so not cheap ones either. I don’t understand why they didn’t suggest a smaller frame.

Joy said that the prescription in one eye is much stronger than the other. SGirl and SBaba have that issue and the difference is significant. That makes frame selection trickier but surmountable.

Here is where Joy loses me. She said the idea is for Gideon to wear glasses for 1-2 years and the issue will correct itself. Joy also said it was to avoid developing a lazy eye. How can Gideon have such a significant deficit and just correct it in two years? SGirl has been wearing glasses for nine years now and no correction. Initially her prescription changed by quite a bit yearly and we were very concerned. It has finally leveled in the past three years but no miracle recovery.  

I have heard before that some kid eye problems can be corrected if caught early enough. That's why they recommend an eye exam before age 5. My nephew had an issue that wasn't caught until middle school and his ophthalmologist said if it had been caught earlier, he would not have needed glasses forever. So Joy may be right in Gideon's case. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Madtown said:

Why would anyone put a kid with a snotty face in their video? Video editing is a thing. 
Walmart has $7 frames and if they can afford to fly to Alaska to hunt & get knocked up they can afford to buy pair of glasses that fit Gideon.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
10 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Why would anyone put a kid with a snotty face in their video? Video editing is a thing. 
Walmart has $7 frames and if they can afford to fly to Alaska to hunt & get knocked up they can afford to buy pair of glasses that fit Gideon.

I would have taken him back to the place they bought them. It wasn’t a good fit and the provider should correct the error. 

Does Joy wear contacts? She put on her glasses and said she was doing it for Giddy because she doesn’t wear them all the time. I don’t recall if she ever confirmed using contacts.

• Love 2

She's never confirmed that she wears contacts. I'm near sighted and only wear my glasses when I need to see at a distance (although my distance vision isn't bad other than for reading clearly. Joy may have something similar going on.

Or she may wear contacts. 😁

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Gideon always wearing his backpack makes me sad. He wants to go to school like all the kids he sees. 

I don't know what other kids he sees. I guess his cousins on Austin's side and the occasional Duggar relative? They're all homeschooled. I doubt there are many backpacks to be seen.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I don't know what other kids he sees. I guess his cousins on Austin's side and the occasional Duggar relative? They're all homeschooled. I doubt there are many backpacks to be seen.

while driving around he must see kids walking to school or crossing the street with backpacks. Also, Izzy.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, SMama said:

Does Joy wear contacts? She put on her glasses and said she was doing it for Giddy because she doesn’t wear them all the time. I don’t recall if she ever confirmed using contacts.

I thought she posted during one of her pregnancies that she had to switch from her contacts to her glasses during pregnancy (or part of the pregnancy, anyway) because of some sort of hormonal eye change. This causes people on Reddit to speculate she's pregnant whenever they see her wearing glasses.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I thought she posted during one of her pregnancies that she had to switch from her contacts to her glasses during pregnancy (or part of the pregnancy, anyway) because of some sort of hormonal eye change. This causes people on Reddit to speculate she's pregnant whenever they see her wearing glasses.

So it makes sense she was wearing glasses in that video. TY

8 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Maybe Gideon's eyes would correct themselves, but lots of times he isn't wearing glasses. So I don't think they will help in that way

My younger sister had amblyopia as a preschooler and had to wear an eyepatch to strengthen the weak eye for a while.  Then, she got glasses which she wore until middle school at which time she didn't need them anymore.  Her vision as an adult was 20/20 without glasses.  I have no idea how or why, but that's what happened.  This was almost 60 years ago, BTW.

My father, one of his sisters and his mother were all blind in one eye due to amblyopia (lazy eye) that went untreated when they were young.  It runs in families.

• Sad 3
  • Useful 13

I had a lazy eye and went to lot of treatment to correct it (I can't explain in English what and how), and I also often had my good eye covered so the lazy one would get stronger.

I still wear glasses because I am also farsighted (but less than in my childhood).

So yes, the vision can improve, but as far as we can see, I doubt that will be the case with Gideon

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I don’t have a problem with Gideon dragging the trash can and roaming outdoors as often as he does. But he must wear proper footwear. No Walmart $1 flip flops. They have been really lucky but one of the kids is going to have a very preventable, major injury. 

• Like 3
  • Love 11
15 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Walking around barefoot on a lawn is just asking for a beehive sting or a bad case of poison ivy.

Yep. I stepped on a bee running through the backyard when I was about 6. I’ve hated going barefoot outside ever since!

• Love 6

Her kids being barefoot outside doesn't seem bad to me.  Prior to going to school I was almost always barefoot in and out door. This was small town and country living.  I realize they can step on things and get stung and I did. There are times when it is important to wear shoes for protection and in public places but around home, no big deal. Some studies (probably are some that say the opposite) show it is good for kids to go barefoot.  I agree when they are at Austin's job sites or places other than home, they should have shoes on for protection.  

• Like 3
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, auntieminem said:

Her kids being barefoot outside doesn't seem bad to me.  Prior to going to school I was almost always barefoot in and out door. This was small town and country living.  I realize they can step on things and get stung and I did. There are times when it is important to wear shoes for protection and in public places but around home, no big deal. Some studies (probably are some that say the opposite) show it is good for kids to go barefoot.  I agree when they are at Austin's job sites or places other than home, they should have shoes on for protection.  

Yeah I'm barefoot a lot. I don't think people need to wear shoes all the time. My problem with Joy, though, is she never seems to exercise any common sense about when shoes are appropriate and necessary and when they're actually optional for herself or her children. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 10
  • Love 13
On 10/13/2022 at 7:11 AM, Notabug said:

My younger sister had amblyopia as a preschooler and had to wear an eyepatch to strengthen the weak eye for a while.  Then, she got glasses which she wore until middle school at which time she didn't need them anymore.  Her vision as an adult was 20/20 without glasses.  I have no idea how or why, but that's what happened.  This was almost 60 years ago, BTW.

My father, one of his sisters and his mother were all blind in one eye due to amblyopia (lazy eye) that went untreated when they were young.  It runs in families.

My daughter’s lazy eye was caught at her 3 year physical and she was immediately referred to a pediatric ophthalmologist and wore a patch for two years.  However, it was already too late and she is legally blind in that eye.  She’s 33 now.

• Sad 11