Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

He wants to be like other boys who go to a real school.  I fear his schooling will be a disaster.

How would he be able to compare himself to kids who go to real school? The only kids he knows are homeschooled (unless there have been get togethers with the Dillards that we don't know about).

• Like 7
2 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

bpx6tal0jvo91.jpg

She says they are doing "school from home" not "home-schooling." It may mean nothing, but I think it's possible that he's in a regular pre-k class, but they are doing it remotely. That would be a huge step in the right direction.

Personally, I think that Austin and Joy are very steeped in the kool-aide and would be very reluctant to step away from home-schooling, but I also don't think that Joy is interested in home-schooling at all. Obviously, I hope that they eventually decide that public school is okay, and Gideon can wear his backpack to real school for kindergarden next year.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

She says they are doing "school from home" not "home-schooling." It may mean nothing, but I think it's possible that he's in a regular pre-k class, but they are doing it remotely. That would be a huge step in the right direction.

Given their beliefs, I would be really shocked if they were. Also at least in my school district, they're not offering remote school like that anymore, so I would be surprised if that is what they are doing for that reason as well. I don't think Joy is quite subtle enough to imbue tons of hidden meaning in the words "school from home." They're almost certainly homeschooling with homeschool curriculum. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 9

A few more screenshots from Joy's insta-story. Gideon's hair cut is cute.
I don't know how much schooling they do, since they had the eye doctor(I know one takes appointments when they can get them), a hair cut and they stopped at Sonic for a drink for Giddy. I also don't know if I consider school, standing at a table watching videos.

IMG_9280.jpg

IMG_9281.jpg

Edited by Madtown
  • Like 1
  • Sad 10
  • Love 1

Joy just did another story and talked about Gideon’s school. It is an online Christian school, but he can also watch DVD’s.  
They chose videos because they travel a lot and don’t always have the best Wi-Fi. 
She said between each subject, he takes a break and goes and jumps on the trampoline. She said that she loves that it’s flexible because he has such a short attention span. He does writing, math and loves it. 
She said next year he will go up a level and will go into a normal school schedule. 

• Sad 2
  • Useful 7
  • Love 4

Giddy seems like a kid who would benefit from tactile learning far beyond his preschool years. I hope there are at least some type of projects/games that go along with these videos, because I'm guessing Joy won't be able to figure out how to make his lessons come to life.

• Sad 4
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Giddy seems like a kid who would benefit from tactile learning far beyond his preschool years. I hope there are at least some type of projects/games that go along with these videos, because I'm guessing Joy won't be able to figure out how to make his lessons come to life.

Yes, he is at an age where he is going to learn more by doing something interactive rather than watching a video while standing next to the coffee table (not even going to discuss the ergonomic nightmare in that sentence).  A kid his age needs alphabet blocks, magnetic boards with numbers and letters, big picture books.  Stuff to count like beans or pennies.  Video learning should never take the place of hands-on experiences.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 8
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Notabug said:

Yes, he is at an age where he is going to learn more by doing something interactive rather than watching a video while standing next to the coffee table (not even going to discuss the ergonomic nightmare in that sentence).  A kid his age needs alphabet blocks, magnetic boards with numbers and letters, big picture books.  Stuff to count like beans or pennies.  Video learning should never take the place of hands-on experiences.

Agreed. The fact she brought up how they are doing this because they do a lot of traveling, makes me wonder what his future education will look like. Joy shouldn't home school at all and already said the one day didn't go well and that is him watching videos.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Do they really travel that much? I have watched dozens of Tik Tok videos of family living in RVs full time and doing a lot of traveling. They have from 1-6 children. They homeschool but maintain a routine. They talk about how important it is for kids to have structure. If they can maintain a routine so can Joy. The problem is that Joy was raised feral, has no concept of bedtimes, being on time, meal times, etc. Joy also does not seem interested in working on a routine or putting effort in educating her children. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, SMama said:

Do they really travel that much? I have watched dozens of Tik Tok videos of family living in RVs full time and doing a lot of traveling. They have from 1-6 children. They homeschool but maintain a routine. They talk about how important it is for kids to have structure. If they can maintain a routine so can Joy. The problem is that Joy was raised feral, has no concept of bedtimes, being on time, meal times, etc. Joy also does not seem interested in working on a routine or putting effort in educating her children. 

We honestly have no idea.  Joy and Austin are no longer posting constantly on IG (though that can always be manipulated).  They post like everyday people in their age bracket maybe even a little bit less than their peers.  We have absolutely no idea how often the Forsyths travel versus how much Austin works.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
50 minutes ago, Madtown said:

Agreed. The fact she brought up how they are doing this because they do a lot of traveling, makes me wonder what his future education will look like. Joy shouldn't home school at all and already said the one day didn't go well and that is him watching videos.

And, if they're doing so much traveling, why isn't she incorporating that into his schooling?  A big map on the wall to put stars on places they've been, have him count all the green cars they pass.  Flashcards with the names of things they will see on the road that he can point out.  Play 'I spy' using letters of the alphabet.  Find 10 things that begin with the letter B at the campsite.   Kids who travel have the world as their classroom and there is no reason not to take advantage of it.  Except that Joy is just not bright enough to figure it out.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 5
  • Sad 6
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

So Joy is home schooling Giddy via a DVD program.. because of his learning issues? Why not just put him in early intervention, and get him some real help? 

Because he might me exposed to others who have different ideas. Girls wearing pants, or maybe *gasp* a child with same sex parents. Can't have that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

I wonder if the Jill’s boys will maintain a relationship with the rest of their cousins as they grow up, and if those other cousins, as they get older, will question their parents as to why they didn’t get the education that their cousins received. Someone at some time is going to question all of this, especially since JB isn’t going to live forever. 

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I wonder if the Jill’s boys will maintain a relationship with the rest of their cousins as they grow up, and if those other cousins, as they get older, will question their parents as to why they didn’t get the education that their cousins received. Someone at some time is going to question all of this, especially since JB isn’t going to live forever. 

There are some concerns about Israel and Sam not being in public school at this time. Sam is supposed to be in Kindergarten but was home in the middle of the day, plus no first day of school pictures. I really hope is just Jill being exhausted with a newborn and recovering from surgery. But Derick is perfectly capable of snapping a picture and posting. I’ve always counted on his attachment to Pistol Pete as motivation to provide the kids a proper education. They sure as hell are not going to get one from Jill. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, SMama said:

This is assuming that Austin is allowing Joy to raise their children the way she was raised.  He has/had incredibly strict parents.   That's documented.

I simply don't see Austin allowing his children to be free-range and allowed to dictate schedules, family plans and educational options.  While he definitely appears affectionate and tolerant around his children IN PHOTOS AND VIDEOS, he may be more like his parents than is shown to the public.  I think he heavily censors what Joy puts out there about his chidren. 

1 hour ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

It still hasn't been established that Jill's boys are getting any type of public education.  The oldest got a little and the middle is just barely 5, possibly not old enough for Kindergarten yet.  People online keep asking, but she won't address the issue. 

Comparing the education of any of these kids is useless.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

This is assuming that Austin is allowing Joy to raise their children the way she was raised.  He has/had incredibly strict parents.   That's documented.

I simply don't see Austin allowing his children to be free-range and allowed to dictate schedules, family plans and educational options.  While he definitely appears affectionate and tolerant around his children IN PHOTOS AND VIDEOS, he may be more like his parents than is shown to the public.  I think he heavily censors what Joy puts out there about his chidren. 

It still hasn't been established that Jill's boys are getting any type of public education.  The oldest got a little and the middle is just barely 5, possibly not old enough for Kindergarten yet.  People online keep asking, but she won't address the issue. 

Comparing the education of any of these kids is useless.  

Austin’s dad is also barely literate yet thought he was qualified to dictate public school curriculums . . . 

• Like 6
  • Sad 8

I just hope that the eye doctor saw those glasses Joy got Gideon and told her to replace them with a pair that fits properly.  I couldn't believe that she didn't realize that size mattered with glasses.  Bless her heart.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

I just hope that the eye doctor saw those glasses Joy got Gideon and told her to replace them with a pair that fits properly.  I couldn't believe that she didn't realize that size mattered with glasses.  Bless her heart.

She should know better since she wears glasses herself.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

well WOACB is slow on her "news" because we already talked about that here a few weeks back. The county records do not say how the property was paid for. It is surrounded by houses and a neighborhood behind it. So if they requested a zoning change to build a house they would most likely get one.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

well WOACB is slow on her "news" because we already talked about that here a few weeks back. The county records do not say how the property was paid for. It is surrounded by houses and a neighborhood behind it. So if they requested a zoning change to build a house they would most likely get one.

I think Miss Balls needs a new family to stalk.

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Joy's dress is cute, but she commits a huge fashion faux-pas by mixing brown sandals with black dresses.

And I thought if a "petite" woman matches the shoes to her legs it makes her look longer?  At least I do that sometimes.

• Like 6
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Joy's dress is cute, but she commits a huge fashion faux-pas by mixing brown sandals with black dresses.

I’d consider those nude sandals which would go with everything. But I have a lot more melanin than Joy, so that would be flesh toned for me while it isn’t exactly for her. But I think they are nude. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1