Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Serious question here: do any of the Duggars know the value of investing in a nice pair of shoes? Not "Nike" sinful stiletto heels, but a good pair of leather sandals or loafers? Joy is always in those flimsy flip flops or slippers. Her kids are barefoot.

Like that's one thing about Anna: her kids always have nice shoes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGvzj8MjBaK/

A couple of things here: 1) I hope people will post on this tread so that we can start a new page and I can stop seeing Joy with the popping eyes and the eyeliner whenever I come to this thread. 2) I think Anna is one of the better moms in this dog-and-pony show. Her kids always look clean, well fed, and well dressed and they often contrast starkly with their Duggar aunts/uncles/cousins. 3) In this post, she uses the SM bit about "how do YOU do XXX" to try to gin up interaction with her SM followers, and she does a pretty good job. I think it's funny that Anna of all people, in her free time from actually caring for her children, does a better job of this than most of her in-laws who are still spinning their wheels trying to figure it out.

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Yes, sit there with your baby sister in your lap and a sucker in your mouth. Can't imagine what could go wrong with that stick in his mouth and a baby in his lap. Smh. 

I doubt that Giddy spontaneously wanted to hold his baby sister.  To me, it looks like Joy positioned them and Giddy needed a sucker to cooperate.  If he truely grabbed the baby to hold her, he would need two arms around her and he'd be too busy containing a wriggly baby to suck his thumb in the second photo.

My son was just sixteen months old when my daughter was born.  At first, he would sit on the ground and hold out both arms and beg to hold the baby, and I have some adorable pictures of that.  But by the time she was crawling and constantly stealing his toys, he was in all defensive mode!

I'm thinking Joy just wanted to post some cute pictures of the kids and it was all her idea.

• Love 11
50 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

A couple of things here: 1) I hope people will post on this tread so that we can start a new page and I can stop seeing Joy with the popping eyes and the eyeliner whenever I come to this thread. 2) I think Anna is one of the better moms in this dog-and-pony show. Her kids always look clean, well fed, and well dressed and they often contrast starkly with their Duggar aunts/uncles/cousins. 3) In this post, she uses the SM bit about "how do YOU do XXX" to try to gin up interaction with her SM followers, and she does a pretty good job. I think it's funny that Anna of all people, in her free time from actually caring for her children, does a better job of this than most of her in-laws who are still spinning their wheels trying to figure it out.

Yeah, say what you want about Anna's beliefs, but the woman has excellent time management skills. She's arguably the busiest mom of all of them, between not only having the most kids, but also being the only one who is substantially homeschooling her kids as several of hers are older children, whereas most of the others primarily have infants and toddlers as offspring. Yes, Mack is arguably old enough to help out, but she still attends homeschool, and Anna has alluded in the past that she does not employ the buddy system with her own kids. So it wouldn't be far-fetched for Anna to take it on herself. 

I don't think anyone else will have quite the same skills other than maybe Kendra, but to Kendra's disadvantage, she's having her babies closer together than Anna did. When Anna had three kids, Mack was almost four, which is quite different from the first born being age two as is the case with Garrett.

We'll see what happens with Joy. Her children are still pretty young, and Joy doesn't strike me as high-maintenance, so I don't see her as the type that will stick readily to structure, even if the intention is there.

• Love 9
(edited)
59 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Yeah, say what you want about Anna's beliefs, but the woman has excellent time management skills. She's arguably the busiest mom of all of them, between not only having the most kids, but also being the only one who is substantially homeschooling her kids as several of hers are older children, whereas most of the others primarily have infants and toddlers as offspring. Yes, Mack is arguably old enough to help out, but she still attends homeschool, and Anna has alluded in the past that she does not employ the buddy system with her own kids. So it wouldn't be far-fetched for Anna to take it on herself. 

I don't think anyone else will have quite the same skills other than maybe Kendra, but to Kendra's disadvantage, she's having her babies closer together than Anna did. When Anna had three kids, Mack was almost four, which is quite different from the first born being age two as is the case with Garrett.

We'll see what happens with Joy. Her children are still pretty young, and Joy doesn't strike me as high-maintenance, so I don't see her as the type that will stick readily to structure, even if the intention is there.

Doesn’t Anna have a “helper” that she hides from the cameras? And I think she mostly sends her kids to the TTH “school” to be “taught” by Bin. I could be wrong 🤷‍♀️. And she may do a good job of posing  and dressing up her kids for SM, but that’s all fakery. I just can’t respect disingenuous BS. 

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Useful 2
  • Love 15
18 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Doesn’t Anna have a “helper” that she hides from the cameras? And I think she mostly sends her kids to the TTH “school” to be “taught” by Bin. I could be wrong 🤷‍♀️. And she may do a good job of posing  and dressing up her kids for SM, but that’s all fakery. I just can’t respect disingenuous BS. 

I totally agree.  Anna presents herself as effortlessly keeping her kids groomed and playing happlily together, when I am certain those are all staged moments for the gram.

Joy does it too, as well as photographing her son's mischevious mishaps.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I think Anna has very much drunk the koolaid. I think she spends as much time at the TTH as she does because she wants to be an obedient DIL. She wants the Duggars to like her (for whatever reason), and does whatever she can to ingratiate herself.

She seemed to manage to keep the kids clean, fed, and suitably dressed when they were in DC, too. Feeding, bathing, and dressing your children is (IMO) a VERY low bar, and yet it's one that isn't hit in the TTH very often (ever).

Choosing cute photos of your kids to post should be a no-brainer, too, but consider some of the photos that Jill and Jessa have posted of their kids -- or this picture of Gideon with his sister.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I agree 100%. Compared to her sisters-in-law and even her mother-in-law and, to be honest, my own mother, Anna comes across like mother of the year, but the things she does that on are very low bar. 

There's more to being a parent than that, and I can't help but feel that the environment in their home is probably really tense and stressful and that a lot of this is posed to make things seem okay.

Does a good mother continue to have more and more children with a man who clearly doesn't want more kids and seems to have checked out of their marriage long ago? Does a good mother pimp out her kids on social media to prove to the world her miserable marriage is great? 

That's a good point. Then it's probably fair to say that Anna is a lot savvier about social media than I would have expected her to be, and certainly more than Jessa or Joy.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Zella said:

I agree 100%. Compared to her sisters-in-law and even her mother-in-law and, to be honest, my own mother, Anna comes across like mother of the year, but the things she does that on are very low bar. 

There's more to being a parent than that, and I can't help but feel that the environment in their home is probably really tense and stressful and that a lot of this is posed to make things seem okay.

Does a good mother continue to have more and more children with a man who clearly doesn't want more kids and seems to have checked out of their marriage long ago? Does a good mother pimp out her kids on social media to prove to the world her miserable marriage is great? 

I agree, and I would add "does a good mother regularly take her children into an environment that she knows is toxic?" You don't need an advanced degree in child development to realize that the older children are deeply damaged and the younger ones are basically feral (and deeply damaged).

It could be that she desperately wants to be on teevee. Lots of people do, and lots of people will throw dignity and common sense to the wind for that opportunity, but television has never really been part of Anna's life, has it?

I think she's enamored of the Duggars because of their glamour within Gothardism, and desperately wants to prove herself as the most Gothard-y of Gothard wives. Her own family must be a hot mess for her to cling to the Duggars so desperately.

• Love 8
(edited)
7 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

That's a good point. Then it's probably fair to say that Anna is a lot savvier about social media than I would have expected her to be, and certainly more than Jessa or Joy.

To be honest, she could probably give Jeremy and Jinger some pointers on their tragic social media presence too. I'm not sure how much she knows about marketing from a theoretical standpoint, but she seems to have a much better instinctive idea of how to own a persona and appeal to a select audience than any of the rest of these morons. 

I think she definitely has her homeschool mom/housewife persona down pat. Her biggest problem is it is easy for people to call her out in the comments about the sex pest in their midst and how she pretends everything is super wholesome and wonderful and unplugged when it's not. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Anna is resentful that she has been shunted to the side for something she has no control over (her husband's scandals) but she still keeps sweet and keeps passive aggressively trying to best her in-laws on the social media front.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 14

In many ways, this all reminds me of Mad Men. With significantly less glamorous people. As long as everything looks okay on the surface, who cares how the fuck you really are emotionally. Anna can pull off a better everything looks okay than a lot of the rest of them, but it still rings really hollow.

• Love 20
On 3/25/2021 at 9:17 AM, GeeGolly said:

Yes, but some of my staff have worn these. They aren't as heavy handed with the magnetic tar eyeliner.

True. This product is just so out of Joy's wheelhouse. Even if she put the eyeliner... erm... tar... on lightly, it still would look out of place on her.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Zella said:

In many ways, this all reminds me of Mad Men. With significantly less glamorous people. As long as everything looks okay on the surface, who cares how the fuck you really are emotionally. Anna can pull off a better everything looks okay than a lot of the rest of them, but it still rings really hollow.

Totally agree, but does this mean that Anna is Betty Draper?!

• LOL 8
2 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Totally agree, but does this mean that Anna is Betty Draper?!

No because then it would mean Josh is Don! 😂😂

I think they're Francine and Carlton. LOL

• LOL 9
(edited)
23 hours ago, Zella said:

To be honest, she could probably give Jeremy and Jinger some pointers on their tragic social media presence too. I'm not sure how much she knows about marketing from a theoretical standpoint, but she seems to have a much better instinctive idea of how to own a persona and appeal to a select audience than any of the rest of these morons. 

I think she definitely has her homeschool mom/housewife persona down pat. Her biggest problem is it is easy for people to call her out in the comments about the sex pest in their midst and how she pretends everything is super wholesome and wonderful and unplugged when it's not. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Anna is resentful that she has been shunted to the side for something she has no control over (her husband's scandals) but she still keeps sweet and keeps passive aggressively trying to best her in-laws on the social media front.

It wouldn't surprise me if Anna is down deep a seething mass of molten magma building up ever more pressure under her chipper and faithful daughter/wife/mother facade.   I don't know what the triggering point may be that will eventually cause a tectonic shift and the crust to open up and provide a release, but I do believe that one day there will be the point where something does trigger an event of volcanic proportions from Anna.

I'm halfway to believing that Kendra's growing photogenic and SM styled brood, obvious approval from JB and ability to be prominently featured on the show with her Duggar husband at least cause some toxic steam to be released from the cracks in the crust and occasional ominous rumblings from the depths.  

Edited by Tikichick
  • Love 15
21 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Anna is down deep a seething mass of molten magma building up ever more pressure under her chipper and faithful daughter/wife/mother facade.   I don't know what the triggering point may be that will eventually cause a tectonic shift and the crust to open up and provide a release, but I do believe that one day there will be the point where something does trigger an event of volcanic proportions from Anna.

I'm halfway to believing that Kendra's growing photogenic and SM styled brood, obvious approval from JB and ability to be prominently featured on the show with her Duggar husband at least cause some toxic steam to be released from the cracks in the crust and occasional ominous rumblings from the depths.  

Kendra does seem to be the best bet at being her competition. The snide comment Anna made about breastfeeding to Kendra makes me suspect that Anna feels threatened by her and it motivates her to be a bitch to Kendra.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, Zella said:

Kendra does seem to be the best bet at being her competition. The snide comment Anna made about breastfeeding to Kendra makes me suspect that Anna feels threatened by her and it motivates her to be a bitch to Kendra.

Anna's followed the rules, done what her parents taught her, been a good wife to the eldest son of a prominent family in the right belief systems, makes sure her children are bright shiny examples of the lifestyle -- and she's stuck in a warehouse on double secret probation with her useless lump of a husband while some bright and perky youngster is starting to outshine her, despite marrying a seemingly dimwitted son who wasn't ever expected to amount to much beyond remaining an anonymous cog in Duggar Inc.   

• LOL 3
  • Love 18
16 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Anna's followed the rules, done what her parents taught her, been a good wife to the eldest son of a prominent family in the right belief systems, makes sure her children are bright shiny examples of the lifestyle -- and she's stuck in a warehouse on double secret probation with her useless lump of a husband while some bright and perky youngster is starting to outshine her, despite marrying a seemingly dimwitted son who wasn't ever expected to amount to much beyond remaining an anonymous cog in Duggar Inc.   

You’d think that would be a warning to other women marrying into the Duggar clan.....

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
Just now, Zella said:

Anna has good reason to be bitter, but she needs to own her own responsibility in making a decision to stay with Josh. That's on her. And she needs to turn the rest of her spite on the people who are actually guilty, like Josh and his parents, rather than taking it out on Kendra. 

We talked on another thread about Jana probably not being as nice as they try to depict. My bet is Anna isn't either. 

To be clear, I'm just guessing about what may possibly be Anna's state of mind, and how Kendra may have come out of nowhere to ruffle Anna's feathers without even having any intention of doing so or being aware that anything is wrong.   I just have a sneaking suspicion that Anna is a facade of everything is wonderful on the surface, and a lake of molten magma with toxic gases bubbling beneath the surface.  

• Love 18
8 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

This makes me sad.

The idea that your child crawling and exploring is "sad" is sad itself.

I don't think she is opposed to Evelyn crawling and exploring. She seems to be sad that Evelyn is so old. 😒 This reminds of Michelle who loved the babies, but around 6 months or so started thinking about the new blessing. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, cmr2014 said:

This makes me sad.

The idea that your child crawling and exploring is "sad" is sad itself.

Kind of a small comment for her to make that might easily be dismissed as a nothingburger, but really might be a lot of meaning to unpack.   My gut feeling is this is a thought that Joy thinks she should be feeling and saying, so she posted it. 

I'm starting to see some signs that Joy is beginning to fatigue parenting two small children.   I think Gideon was a new experience and she was able to get a bit more of a helping hand at the TTH, and even an opportunity to drop and run more often than she possibly can now with a toddler and one still in the infancy stage.   I think Gideon is becoming more and more of a handful, and feeling a bit threatened by the attention his little sister gets and Joy possibly has the baby with her all the time now, no or very little childfree moments.   My hunch is Austin won't be shy about letting Joy know that he expects her to see to it that Gideon doesn't just run wild all day long.   Joy may be coming to the point where she's finally pushed to wear the mantle she's spent her whole life avoiding.    

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I don't think she is opposed to Evelyn crawling and exploring. She seems to be sad that Evelyn is so old. 😒 This reminds of Michelle who loved the babies, but around 6 months or so started thinking about the new blessing. 

I think it's very possible that she is sad that Evelyn is crawling and exploring. These are no no's in her world.

No one -- not even a baby -- is free to explore and learn. Baby must obey! This is exactly what blanket training is all about.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I think it's very possible that she is sad that Evelyn is crawling and exploring. These are no no's in her world.

No one -- not even a baby -- is free to explore and learn. Baby must obey! This is exactly what blanket training is all about.

Gideon's demeanor doesn't suggest blanket training to me in the slightest.  

• Love 14

Beyond the discipline issue, I wonder if she is sad because Evelyn growing up is causing her to think about the baby she lost. Maybe not even consciously. 

I really hate how they will take pictures of the kid in the middle of shenanigans. I know they all basically learned this at home, but taking pictures of them misbehaving just reinforces the idea that the behavior is somehow desirable, even if mom isn't happy and is scolding you. 

• Love 12

Back to Anna and Kendra for a moment. What snide remark did Anna make? 

Not that it surprises me. Back when the Duggars were campaigning for Santorum, a woman approached Anna and Jana. Jana was cordial; Anna was a snotty POS. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Back to Anna and Kendra for a moment. What snide remark did Anna make? 

Not that it surprises me. Back when the Duggars were campaigning for Santorum, a woman approached Anna and Jana. Jana was cordial; Anna was a snotty POS. 

I've not watched it, but from what I've read, Kendra was talking about struggling with breastfeeding, and Anna made sure everyone knew that SHE didn't have any issues breastfeeding her kids. 

5 minutes ago, Zella said:

I've not watched it, but from what I've read, Kendra was talking about struggling with breastfeeding, and Anna made sure everyone knew that SHE didn't have any issues breastfeeding her kids. 

Oh Anna. Fuck off.

• LOL 7
  • Love 17
13 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Joy is doing the typical #stayyoung, #wheredidmybabygo,  posts that are all over the internet

I've never understood those kind of posts and sadness about your child growing up.  Don't you want to see your child learn new things, grow in knowledge, be able to talk with you, and be more independent?  Oh, wait, this is the Duggars we are talking about.

• Love 24
11 hours ago, skipnjump said:

I've never understood those kind of posts and sadness about your child growing up.  Don't you want to see your child learn new things, grow in knowledge, be able to talk with you, and be more independent?  Oh, wait, this is the Duggars we are talking about.

Even when Duggars grow up...they don't.