Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
frenchtoast

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

Recommended Posts


33 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

So, Joy just leaves the jewelry on the baby? Doesn't seem right to me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNvc4amp1Qc/?igshid=11uvml0xgwy7s

I agree. Very careless. If either the necklace or bracelet breaks while she's unattended, even for a few seconds, she could ingest those beads. At Evey's age, my kids would wake up and 'play' for a bit in their cribs before crying/calling out for us. She could also get her hand or foot caught in the necklace if its stretchy. If the bracelet is stretchy she could take it completely off and put it in her mouth.

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post

I've never been a fan of jewelry on babies. It just seems like too much of an unnecessary hazard.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, BitterApple said:

I've never been a fan of jewelry on babies. It just seems like too much of an unnecessary hazard.

Even if you just have to have a bead fished out of a nose, it's too much of a hazard, but these people are dumber than dirt.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

I worked with an Indian coworker who brought his baby into the office once and she had a neckalce and bracelets on.  I asked why put jewerly on such a little baby.  He said it was so that people would know she's a girl.    I wonder if that's Joy's reasoning as well.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I worked with an Indian coworker who brought his baby into the office once and she had a neckalce and bracelets on.  I asked why put jewerly on such a little baby.  He said it was so that people would know she's a girl.    I wonder if that's Joy's reasoning as well.

Probably. Although how tough is it to put her in girl's clothes? Everything is gendered these days.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

So, Joy just leaves the jewelry on the baby? Doesn't seem right to me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNvc4amp1Qc/?igshid=11uvml0xgwy7s

I know someone that had her baby in a necklace from 6-18 months. When I asked her why the baby (a boy by the way) was wearing a necklace she said it was for teething and it was good for the babies "stress" levels. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've seen some babies with crystal healing jewelry, but I assumed it was taken off prior to baths and bedtime.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, LynneH said:

I know someone that had her baby in a necklace from 6-18 months. When I asked her why the baby (a boy by the way) was wearing a necklace she said it was for teething and it was good for the babies "stress" levels. 

 

There are cultures where little girl babies wear jewelry from infancy -- I know that it is common for people from India and Mexico -- it's not common in the US and not really culturally appropriate for this baby. I 100% believe that she has put jewelry on that baby to keep her gender-marked 100% of the time -- even in the bath. I'm guessing it was a gift from Austin's mom (J'chelle and JB only count the babies, they don't send presents), because jewelry has never seemed to interest Joy at all.

  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

I’m quite sure that’s an amber teething necklace. There’s a fair amount of arguing going on in the comments about them regarding effectiveness, danger, etc.

  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, I tend to talk about other people's children quite a lot myself...........says no one ever.........

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/16/2021 at 4:43 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Isn't her youngest about 4? That's a bit young to run around unsupervised.

She can let the youngest play for a few minutes while she looks at her phone. I didn't mean she could go out and see a movie. 🙄

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

There's a new photo where she's biking with kiddies and husband and friends in 49F weather, bundled up like it's in the depth of an arctic winter.

Google tells me 49F is 10 effing degrees Celsius. I would die of heat exhaustion in that get up. 10 degrees Celsius is spring weather ffs

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Huh, Joy's the only one with a helmet and she's pulling the kids. That makes me think she's much more cautious than Austin. I suppose she should be after some of the stuff Austin has done with Giddy.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, MunichNark said:

There's a new photo where she's biking with kiddies and husband and friends in 49F weather, bundled up like it's in the depth of an arctic winter.

Google tells me 49F is 10 effing degrees Celsius. I would die of heat exhaustion in that get up. 10 degrees Celsius is spring weather ffs

I'd agree with you personally. For me, 49 degrees, if it's sunny, is definitely short sleeve weather. If it's cloudy, probably longer sleeves, but nowhere near requiring a coat. 

A lot of people I know think I'm crazy, though, and, if they are from warmer states than Connecticut, will continue bundling up until it's at least in the mid 60's. Sometimes 70. 

  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, MunichNark said:

There's a new photo where she's biking with kiddies and husband and friends in 49F weather, bundled up like it's in the depth of an arctic winter.

Google tells me 49F is 10 effing degrees Celsius. I would die of heat exhaustion in that get up. 10 degrees Celsius is spring weather ffs

I would be wearing a jacket with a temp of 49° but it is humid where I live and that makes it feel colder.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I would be wearing a jacket with a temp of 49° but it is humid where I live and that makes it feel colder.

I'll wear a jacket but not an arctic winter kind of coat, especially if I'm cycling. Why is Joy dragging her children and not Austin?

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'd agree with you personally. For me, 49 degrees, if it's sunny, is definitely short sleeve weather. If it's cloudy, probably longer sleeves, but nowhere near requiring a coat. 

It all depends on what you're used to and how windy it is.  49 degrees and a strong wind would have me rather bundled.  I'm used to 75 degrees, sunny, and a mild breeze.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Absolom said:

It all depends on what you're used to and how windy it is.  49 degrees and a strong wind would have me rather bundled.  I'm used to 75 degrees, sunny, and a mild breeze.  

Riding a bike, especially into the wind, is also going to be considerably colder than if they were walking or standing still.  I live in the midwest and, to me, it looks like one of those sunny days that are deceptively cool, especially when on a bike.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

If it was taken yesterday, there was a very sharp north wind. I actually went for a walk in the afternoon in a light jacket and was taken aback by how chilly it was. I'm not cold-natured, but if I had it to do over again, I would have worn something heavier. It's supposed to get below freezing here this week. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I just saw it was this morning. It's still chilly this morning. So, my whiny comment about yesterday is still relevant. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Zella
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Absolom said:

It all depends on what you're used to and how windy it is.  49 degrees and a strong wind would have me rather bundled.  I'm used to 75 degrees, sunny, and a mild breeze.  

I should be used to warm weather - over the last 35 years or so, we've spent more time stationed in places like Hawaii, Guam, and San Diego than otherwise, and I still pretty much start to wilt the moment it gets above 70.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I should be used to warm weather - over the last 35 years or so, we've spent more time stationed in places like Hawaii, Guam, and San Diego than otherwise, and I still pretty much start to wilt the moment it gets above 70.

Yeah I am not sure living somewhere automatically bestows climate adjustment. I've spent most of my life in Arkansas, and the summer heat and humidity still really get me. I couldn't live farther South. My one trip to Mississippi in July was more than I could stand. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I lived in the Central Valley in California for many, many years.  We do not get rain during the summer, and the temperature is in the 90's to over 100 on an average summer day.  On the rare occasion that we would get a rain shower (not a storm, just a shower for a day), people would wear their winter coats and get out the umbrellas.  Because--if it is raining, it must be winter.  Never mind the actual temperature.  I thought it was pretty funny.  Maybe it was a cloudy day, and Joy and Austin thought it was really cold.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Are they riding with the couple that were married right before Justin and Claire? Claire's best friend?

Share this post


Link to post

I’d die from heat exhaustion pedaling a bike in a jacket. 
 

Why isn’t Austin dragging the kids on his bike? 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Because women can pull bike trailers if they want?

Perhaps the trailer is always coupled to Joy's bike, because she is the stay at home parent, so they keep it there for convenience rather than switching it back and forth for family rides?

Perhaps Austin was doing some off road cycling or tricks, and Joy was happy to stay on a bike path, hence she has the trailer?

Perhaps Joy is stronger and fitter!

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Gweilo said:

Because women can pull bike trailers if they want?

Perhaps the trailer is always coupled to Joy's bike, because she is the stay at home parent, so they keep it there for convenience rather than switching it back and forth for family rides?

Perhaps Austin was doing some off road cycling or tricks, and Joy was happy to stay on a bike path, hence she has the trailer?

Perhaps Joy is stronger and fitter!

Or, perhaps Joy just wanted to do it.  We also don't know that they didn't switch places at some point.

  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/16/2021 at 11:41 PM, cmr2014 said:

There are cultures where little girl babies wear jewelry from infancy -- I know that it is common for people from India and Mexico -- it's not common in the US and not really culturally appropriate for this baby. I 100% believe that she has put jewelry on that baby to keep her gender-marked 100% of the time -- even in the bath. I'm guessing it was a gift from Austin's mom (J'chelle and JB only count the babies, they don't send presents), because jewelry has never seemed to interest Joy at all.

It may not be common in your culture, but it absolutely is common among certain cultures in the US -- not immigrant communities -- for babies to wear jewelry. I used to pierce ears as part of my job (I managed a jewelry department). I can't tell you how many times I saw very young babies whose parents wanted their ears done, or who already had their ears done. Some of them were newborns. 

Edited by Heathen
  • Like 4
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

Joy asks if there's anything more important than Jesus:

https://www.instagram.com/p/COGXyTzpxGU/

Quote

What things are there in your life are more important to you than Jesus? This is the question our pastor asked us today and it hit me hard.

Fame? Social Status? Money? Work? Food? Fun? Your Phone?

Revival in the church and in the world starts with ME, in my heart.
I often come to the Lord when I feel that I need His ‘help’, but we need the Lord every second of everyday. We need to be grateful for this life He has given us and praise Him for who He is. In the good times and the bad.

“Lord, Search me, know me, try me and see every worthless affection hidden in me. All I'm asking for is that You'd cleanse me, Lord. Create in me a heart that's clean. Conquer the power of secret shame. Come wash away the guilty stain of all my sin.”

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Well lip service is important to the Duggars. And Joy's phone is very important obviously.

I think it's great that Joy is going to church -- not for the sermons, though. I think that all of the Duggars are really not capable of self-reflection. I think she just parrots a lot of bs about what a sinner she is, and she gets positive reinforcement for that so she continues.

Back to my original thought, though, church is at least a social activity where she can meet people outside of her immediate family. They were all so isolated for so long: living at the TTH, being "homeschooled" there, and going to the Church of Jim Bob in the warehouse that I think the tiny bit of social interaction at church is a reasonable baby step toward becoming a functional adult.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I think it's great that Joy is going to church -- not for the sermons, though. I think that all of the Duggars are really not capable of self-reflection. I think she just parrots a lot of bs about what a sinner she is, and she gets positive reinforcement for that so she continues.

Back to my original thought, though, church is at least a social activity where she can meet people outside of her immediate family. They were all so isolated for so long: living at the TTH, being "homeschooled" there, and going to the Church of Jim Bob in the warehouse that I think the tiny bit of social interaction at church is a reasonable baby step toward becoming a functional adult.

What church does she attend, though?

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

What things are there in your life are more important to you than Jesus? This is the question our pastor asked us today and it hit me hard.

Fame? Social Status? Money? Work? Food? Fun? Your Phone?

Revival in the church and in the world starts with ME, in my heart.
I often come to the Lord when I feel that I need His ‘help’, but we need the Lord every second of everyday. We need to be grateful for this life He has given us and praise Him for who He is. In the good times and the bad.

“Lord, Search me, know me, try me and see every worthless affection hidden in me. All I'm asking for is that You'd cleanse me, Lord. Create in me a heart that's clean. Conquer the power of secret shame. Come wash away the guilty stain of all my sin.”

I did not grow up with religion and this kind of talk gives me the heebie geebies. Maybe it's normal to people within evangelical churches, and I don't mean to give offense.

It just makes me think, what is going on with Joy that she is clinging SO HARD to religion and is trying to find gratitude toward God "every second of every day"? Is she super unhappy? Or is this just normal talk within her social circle and not alarming the way it sounds to an outsider?

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

What church does she attend, though?

Probably wherever Austin's parents go. I don't think they've ever attended the Caldwells' church or wherever Boob and fam ended up after their acrimonious breakup. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, rue721 said:

It just makes me think, what is going on with Joy that she is clinging SO HARD to religion and is trying to find gratitude toward God "every second of every day"? Is she super unhappy? Or is this just normal talk within her social circle and not alarming the way it sounds to an outsider?

Very normal within a conservative evangelical circle and even more so in a fundie Baptist one.  She's simply repeating what she heard at church today and by Tuesday it will be in her rearview mirror.  

  • Like 4
  • Useful 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Joy's reflection is a reflection on a message as old as dirt - what are you prioritizing. One I'm sure she's heard - in Fundy speak - countless times. Sometimes messages hit us differently at different times and like @Absolom said, it will soon be forgotten.

Joy's life now is likely very much the same as it was growing up. Actually, it might even be a little more conservative. Sadly, I think Joy went from a naïve and superficial-ish Fundy family into a dumb, dig-your-heels-in Fundy family.

  • Like 8
  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Sadly, I think Joy went from a naïve and superficial-ish Fundy family into a dumb, dig-your-heels-in Fundy family.

Yes the message never makes it to her brain. Of course I don't know Joy's level of understanding but from what I can see, it's not very high. That is the sad result of no education and that was her parents' goal.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 11

Share this post


Link to post

18 hours ago, rue721 said:

I did not grow up with religion and this kind of talk gives me the heebie geebies. Maybe it's normal to people within evangelical churches, and I don't mean to give offense.

It just makes me think, what is going on with Joy that she is clinging SO HARD to religion and is trying to find gratitude toward God "every second of every day"? Is she super unhappy? Or is this just normal talk within her social circle and not alarming the way it sounds to an outsider?

She lost a baby. And has 2 more. Plus she needs to keep the house clean and please Austin. Austin seems like a not a pleasant fellow. Wonder how many kids they will have because that affects everything in life. 

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/25/2021 at 10:57 PM, rue721 said:

I did not grow up with religion and this kind of talk gives me the heebie geebies. Maybe it's normal to people within evangelical churches, and I don't mean to give offense.

It just makes me think, what is going on with Joy that she is clinging SO HARD to religion and is trying to find gratitude toward God "every second of every day"? Is she super unhappy? Or is this just normal talk within her social circle and not alarming the way it sounds to an outsider?

My guess is that being married to Austin isn't a cakeride and so she has to be SUPER GRATEFUL to Jesus. I don't get a very warm, nice vibe from him at all.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

They sold the most recent camper she posted about, and bought another one. Joy was giving a tour and heard a sound that prompted her to say the one they just bought has some electrical problems. 🤦‍♀️

  • Surprise 8

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

They sold the most recent camper she posted about, and bought another one. Joy was giving a tour and heard a sound that prompted her to say the one they just bought has some electrical problems. 🤦‍♀️

so they drove in icy weather to buy a junker and then sold it and "bought" one from Jed!'s car lot right?

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/18/2021 at 7:38 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'd agree with you personally. For me, 49 degrees, if it's sunny, is definitely short sleeve weather. If it's cloudy, probably longer sleeves, but nowhere near requiring a coat. 

A lot of people I know think I'm crazy, though, and, if they are from warmer states than Connecticut, will continue bundling up until it's at least in the mid 60's. Sometimes 70. 

This is true, people have different tolerance for temperature. 
 

I’m from Chicago and I think Joy looks fine for the weather. For me I have to have a jacket until at least 60 degrees. It’s in the 50s now and I still have my short northface on. Joy is biking in the wind and it’s colder. Joy has always seemed to enjoy sports and outdoor activities. I’m glad she’s is doing something for herself. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size