Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Zella said:

I mean, does she make the sauce from scratch or does she just buy a jar of alfredo sauce and call it good? I'm not knocking buying a jar of pasta sauce, but I'm just having a hard time seeing Michelle doing too much.

A true homemade alfredo sauce is more work than a Duggar especially Michelle would do.  Michelle ain't grating enough parmesan cheese for 20 people. 

I know there are shortcuts like using pre-grated parm and thickeners like cream cheese, but you can't make alfredo with just any store-bought parm.  I shudder to think about using Kraft powdered parm or the Great Value equivalent.   Sauces with 5 ingredients need them to be quality ingredients. 

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

A true homemade alfredo sauce is more work than a Duggar especially Michelle would do.  Michelle ain't grating enough parmesan cheese for 20 people. 

I know there are shortcuts like using pre-grated parm and thickeners like cream cheese, but you can't make alfredo with just any store-bought parm.  I shudder to think about using Kraft powdered parm or the Great Value equivalent.   Sauces with 5 ingredients need them to be quality ingredients. 

Oh, I assume Michelle makes it with cream of something soup thinned with a bit of milk. *shudder* 🤮

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Yeah I'm pretty proud of my homemade alfredo sauce! I can't see them making it or even buying all the ingredients you would need to feed a family of that size. 

• Love 14
1 minute ago, BigBingerBro said:

85n3pwqbzm171.jpg?width=828&format=pjpg&

WTH.   If I had personal social media that's not a picture I would post among family and close friends, let alone an account that's available publicly.

• LOL 7
  • Love 14
On 5/21/2021 at 8:00 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Sauces with 5 ingredients need them to be quality ingredients. 

They don't if you regularly feed people tater tot casserole and vegetables straight out of the can. 😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Guys wear baseball caps inside restaurants all the time. So do women and girls. I may not like it (and I'm not an admirer of Austin) but i don't think it's a big deal. They should be more careful with that knife, but it's not like they are leaving the kid alone with it.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

They are also at a Texas Roadhouse, a restaurant where people throw peanut shells onto the floor.  Wearing a hat indoors is not taking away any ambience. 

I have been in a Texas Roadhouse.  The only thing wrong about Austin wearing a hat throughout dinner there is that it is not a Stormy Kromer style with the heavy earflaps he can pull down to muffle the overwhelming din of that place.  

Food there is meh, but the noise manages to be an even bigger negative for me.   Anniversary dinner with young kids, not very romantic but understandable.   Sad that they were someplace they could only hear each other if they raised their voices significantly.

• Love 9

I'm a hats off inside a restaurant kind of gal. Not sure how or why this is an etiquette thing, but its the way I was raised and the way I raised my children. I probably could be swayed to see it differently, but around here its rare to see a guy dining inside with a hat on.

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I have been in a Texas Roadhouse.  The only thing wrong about Austin wearing a hat throughout dinner there is that it is not a Stormy Kromer style with the heavy earflaps he can pull down to muffle the overwhelming din of that place.  

Food there is meh, but the noise manages to be an even bigger negative for me.   Anniversary dinner with young kids, not very romantic but understandable.   Sad that they were someplace they could only hear each other if they raised their voices significantly.

The food is okay. I haven't been there in years though. When we first moved out to our new house, we ate there often. We also went to Outback until I got the mahi special and it was so salty (and I love salt), I could barely eat it. The last 10 years or so we ventured out to local places and the food is so much better. You get an occasional clunker but you eat and learn. 

That is an awful picture of Austin. Yikes! And move that damned knife! 

• Love 7

Not to beat a dead rocking horse but they actually appear to be eating at a Longhorn Steakhouse. Longhorn serves a small whole wheat loaf on a cutting board with the large steak knife for cutting the bread. Texas Roadhouse serves the most delightful fluffy yeast rolls in a basket with a small disposable plastic container of cinnamon butter. Austin appears to be tucking into a piece of whole wheat. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, BOOgen3 said:

Not to beat a dead rocking horse but they actually appear to be eating at a Longhorn Steakhouse. Longhorn serves a small whole wheat loaf on a cutting board with the large steak knife for cutting the bread. Texas Roadhouse serves the most delightful fluffy yeast rolls in a basket with a small disposable plastic container of cinnamon butter. Austin appears to be tucking into a piece of whole wheat. 

Good point! I forgot about those rolls. Damn.... they are so good. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, BOOgen3 said:

You are right.  I know Joy has posted before about Texas Roadhouse being one of their favorites.  It looks like they splurged for their anniversary dinner and went to Longhorn instead.  I've only been to a Longhorn a handful of times, and it is a step above the Roadhouse, so Austin needs to remove the hat.  

Those yeast rolls at TR are the shit.  Texas Roadhouse is a supporter of early childhood literacy and they support our summer reading program.  It's about time for them to deliver the free kids meal coupons with a dozen or so of their rolls.  

• Love 13
On 5/21/2021 at 7:00 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I used to make homemade Alfredo quite often, and I think it’s a sin to put, what I consider to be, powdered cheese in it.  I couldn’t believe what I was seeing when Joy did it; however, I guess we should applaud most everything the Duggar girls cook considering they had no role model to teach them how to prepare a really nice meal.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Why can’t they just put the knife out of the reach of Giddy on the other side of the board? 

Child safety doesn't appear to be a priority as seen in previous social media posts from these two.

• Love 8

The picture is awful, but it may be a live picture that paused at an unfortunate time.  I don't know if Instagram supports live photos.  My phone is full of strange looking shots of my granddaughters but when you touch that little circle in the top left corner it all makes sense.

Funny story: I recently sent my brother a picture and said "sound on".  He said "but it's not a video" and I told him to touch the circle.  He had no idea despite having an iPhone for years.  He was going to check out all of his old photos. 😄

• Love 1

With such an extensive extended family, why wouldn't they get a sitter for the evening?  That way they wouldn't have to worry about busy little hands with access to knives.  So weird...

• Love 9
57 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

With such an extensive extended family, why wouldn't they get a sitter for the evening?  That way they wouldn't have to worry about busy little hands with access to knives.  So weird...

Their extended family includes an accused pedophile and his three main enablers. I wouldn't want them around my children at all. 

Maybe the dinner out was a last-minute decision. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Their extended family includes an accused pedophile and his three main enablers. I wouldn't want them around my children at all. 

Do Austin's parents, sisters and brother live near them?

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Even ruling out Anna, Jim Bob and Michelle, I think there are a few other Duggars who might be eligible to babysit their children.  Unless it's the wild, wild west in that family and no one trusts anyone anymore.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Why can’t they just put the knife out of the reach of Giddy on the other side of the board? 

Because they can't teach him instant obedience if they don't tease him with shiny no-nos. If he doesn't leave it alone he either gets punished or he gets cut and then gets punished.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Personally I haven't noticed a flicker of anything to suggest that Gideon has been blanket trained or harshly disciplined.   Matter of fact a couple things make me suspect he's had quite a bit of free reign as a bit of a hellion and that Joy let's him be for the most part.   I say Joy specifically because of one of the incidents I saw.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, Tikichick said:

Personally I haven't noticed a flicker of anything to suggest that Gideon has been blanket trained or harshly disciplined.   Matter of fact a couple things make me suspect he's had quite a bit of free reign as a bit of a hellion and that Joy let's him be for the most part.

Yeah, he seems too genuinely happy and relaxed a child to have been subjected to that kind of abuse. 

• Love 11