Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E14: Week 11

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, gohawks said:

James has made it through this season with minimal Latin.  I sense that is because he can't sell it. Regardless of what he may have done on Ellen, his Latin on the show has been a joke. 

What Latin he has done has been very good...so I'm not going to assume he can't handle those dances.

On another note, why did Erin chose that dress knowing her arms were pinned to her sides?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

What Latin he has done has been very good...so I'm not going to assume he can't handle those dances.

On another note, why did Erin chose that dress knowing her arms were pinned to her sides?

I don't see the hip action. I see mostly booty shaking. Not the same. 

James' redemption dance should have been cha-cha.

Edited by gohawks

Well, I know nothing of dance as far as shaping, footwork, etc.  I only know what I like watching and how a dance makes me feel.  James' and Sharna's freestyle may have been designed to pull at my heartstrings, and it did.  It was powerful, moving, and visually stunning.  I loved it.

Laurie's freestyle was high energy and adorable, and I really enjoyed it.  But she's 16, not 8...16 year olds drive, date, cram for exams...and do other things.  Very few of them skip around playgrounds in little yellow sundresses.  I do really appreciate them not trying to turn "America's sweetheart" into a vamp, but they also don't need to constantly turn her into a little girl.  And I'm sick of Erin fawning all over her like she's a basket of puppies on Christmas morning..."I just can't with you!  You're so cute!!"  Yes, she is.  She's adorable, and sweet, and incredibly talented.  But that sort of OTT praise makes me cringe.

Calvin's freestyle was also high energy and fun, and I am so impressed with how far he's come.  And he throws Lindsey around like a rag doll...goodness!!  What a great looking, fun, amazing guy he seems to be!  I don't want him to win, because I don't think he's actually at James' or Laurie's level, but I have loved watching him every week and am so glad he has lasted throughout the competition . 

Rooting for James and Sharna, because I do think he has come the farthest (furthest?! I never get that one right!) and I do think Laurie is sometimes disconnected from the performance in a way that James never is.

Edited by Marmiarmo
Lindsey, not Whitney
  • Love 6
50 minutes ago, stillbored said:

I thought that Laurie did a great job on her redemption dance. I was expecting 10's across the boards for it and was disappointed tha CA and julianne only gave 9. My biggest issue with the 9's is that there comments gave ZERO indication that they thought there was something wrong with the dance. They both praised her to the fullest and then they docked her a mark. If you're going to give less than a 10, you should say why on earth you're docking the marks. How the heck is someone going to improve if you give them rave reviews but then turn around and take off a point. (Especially when someone else stumbled and still got 9 and a 10)

I think it's because they know that what they say has more impact on how people vote. Plus by giving 9s, they're getting people mad at the "underscoring" and, therefore, more likely to vote more fervently.

• Love 1

James and Sharna had managed to exceed my (rising) expectations every week, but this was the week that they didn't. I had hoped that their redemption dance would be a straight-up foxtrot to showcase pure dancing and their amazing chemistry. Aside from the improved technique, an area of improvement I would have liked to see is James just really enjoying the dance as himself, not playing another character, and not looking like he's thinking through the steps (which was my "one thing" about him). I wasn't moved by the freestyle either; it felt like it was trying too hard. My favorite freestyle was Calvin's (also my favorite pre-dance package of the night, and I'm so glad they made final 3), and I enjoyed Laurie's as well. But still, all of James and Sharna's prior weeks are enough for me to want them to win in the end, so all my votes go to them.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, crayonskies said:

James and Sharna had managed to exceed my (rising) expectations every week, but this was the week that they didn't. I had hoped that their redemption dance would be a straight-up foxtrot to showcase pure dancing and their amazing chemistry. Aside from the improved technique, an area of improvement I would have liked to see is James just really enjoying the dance as himself, not playing another character, and not looking like he's thinking through the steps (which was my "one thing" about him). I wasn't moved by the freestyle either; it felt like it was trying too hard. My favorite freestyle was Calvin's (also my favorite pre-dance package of the night, and I'm so glad they made final 3), and I enjoyed Laurie's as well. But still, all of James and Sharna's prior weeks are enough for me to want them to win in the end, so all my votes go to them.

Since their original foxtrot had James portraying no one but himself, Sharna probably thought James should contrast that with something fun, creating another persona.  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

Since their original foxtrot had James portraying no one but himself, Sharna probably thought James should contrast that with something fun, creating another persona.  

Sharna does seem to be rather fond of that, and I can kind of understand the mentality of doing all of the things to try and leave an impression on the voting audience. But like I said, just didn't work for me tonight. Hopefully it worked for most of the viewers.

27 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

Not hating, but where does this opinion of Laurie come from? I can see if you can see her talent but prefer someone else, but I don't understand where hatred or dislike for her comes from.

IMO, James is the one who got off easy this season. Never had to do Salsa or Samba and instead of the judges allowing him to show growth and re-do a Cha Cha or Paso, they had him "redeem" himself with a dance that already was good for him. I don't care if he did it on Ellen either.

I'm pretty sure James has had Pasodoble twice...

3 minutes ago, ElectricCityy said:

I'm pretty sure James has had Pasodoble twice...

I don't count the team up dance because it wasn't a traditional duet.

James has shown us to be a great Ballroom dancer, but I still don't think his Latin is up to snuff for a winner. I don't remember the last time a winner wasn't shown to be completely successful in both Ballroom and Latin.

Kudos to Calvin!  His freestyle was my favorite tonight and he is now one of my all-time favorite contestants.  I loved his energy and presence on the show and how he made me smile every week.  Never expected him to get this far but I'm thrilled that he did.  Well done!  I'm happy with the final three and don't really care who ends up in what position. 

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, katha said:

Wow, Gleb really dropped the ball tonight. I thought his dances were totally lackluster compared to everyone else.

From the redemption dances, Laurie's was clearly the best IMO, but they can't make too much of a difference in scores now since then you get cries of "unfair" and ridiculous bashing (as if she didn't get enough of that already), and she doesn't need that.

Calvin's freestyle was great fun. Sharna's was lovely, but it did feel a bit like "concept eats all", but then that's been my problem with her all season (and perhaps my general problem with her as a choreographer). I think Laurie's was beautiful and 100% her. The yellow sundress, the joyfulness and you clearly saw how she loved performing it. Best freestyle Val has ever done IMO.

I thought from the start that should Val drop the ball on the freestyle, someone else will win. But...he didn't. He didn't need to deliver the best one (though I thought he did), he just needed to keep her in contention. Laurie and Val might have done enough, it will be close though and I wouldn't be surprised at a different outcome either. And I give Val mad props for keeping it emotionally truthful in the FS, I'm sure it's tempting to search for "bigger" or "more dramatic" because you have the suspiscion that it will have more impact. But it would have been dead wrong for Laurie, and I'm glad he didn't go there. Killer season from him IMO, absolutely outstanding work throughout.

That's an excellent observation about Sharna's work this season. I think I have to agree. The James as the "best male dancer" hyperbole from the judges was inaccurate; it would have been better that's he's one of the best "actors" when he dances. Sharna's been quite theatrical, and James certainly sells every character Sharna gives him to play, but his dancing is not the best. I think it's interesting to compare her to Mark, especially early DWTS Mark.

Calvin is very charming and athletically gifted, but it's seems to me that's he's stagnated as a dancer. I'm sure it' great fun being twirled and hoisted in the air, but it would have been nice if Lindsay had relied less on so many lifts this season IMO.

I am pleased that Val struck a good tone for the freestyle when it mattered. I think Laurie may have been getting the popular vote this season but I can see James' freestyle resonating and pushing him to the win.

This feels a bit like S16 where 4th and 3rd place finishes were quite obvious and the only suspense all season long was which of the top 2 would win.

• Love 2

I waited to comment until I went back and watched the dances over!

This time, when I watched Calvin and Lindsey, I could breathe. The first time through I was actually holding my breath while they were on the treadmill. That was fun, fun, fun! He was just having a great time! Their waltz was OK but nothing extraordinary in my mind. I loved James and Sharna's foxtrot and wish that the small misstep hadn't happened but it did, and they recovered quickly. I loved their first foxtrot and would have liked to see their cha cha done over but that wasn't up to them; it was the judges choice. Laurie and Val's paso was OK but it didn't feel like a paso to me... there were many paso steps not used and the lift was not acceptable. Their freestyle was "cute" but I felt as though I was watching a gymnastic routine not a dance. I originally started watching for Derek , but James caught me at his first dance and I have never looked back! Everytime I go to Youtube to watch something I always look at the Halloween waltz again...I cannot get enough of it! So for the first time in many years, I voted. Here hopes that my votes help a bit! Go James and Sharna!

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, crayonskies said:

I didn't think Nyle DiMarco was good at either but he won anyway. :p 

I like to be blissfully ignorant and pretend Paige won because she was stellar in both and all season long delivered such a high, high standard. Nyle pulled at the emotion. I'm not saying it to be mean or an a-hole, but if he wasn't deaf, he wouldn't have won. People felt inspired because he danced decently enough for being deaf.

I felt bad for Paige in that manner because she fought hard all season of people saying she didn't have a good enough "story" which is crap because it's about he growth and the dancing and she ticks both boxes. She just got stuck in a season with someone who pulled at people's emotions.

Laurie seems like a perfectly fine winner in that regard. She's had beautiful Ballroom and her Samba, Cha Cha, and tonight's Paso were more than enough to show she can do Latin just as good as well.

The show tried their hardest to try to make James win, but I think Laurie still will squeak out the win.

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 4

Tearbear, You make a great point that James is a very talented actor.  I like his dances but I love his acting.  That's what makes his dancing so special.  This was a very entertaining season with excellent talent.  The eliminations have been merited.  I'd like Laurie to win but I'm okay with any result.  I really like all of the finalists.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, tearbender said:

That's an excellent observation about Sharna's work this season. I think I have to agree. The James as the "best male dancer" hyperbole from the judges was inaccurate; it would have been better that's he's one of the best "actors" when he dances. Sharna's been quite theatrical, and James certainly sells every character Sharna gives him to play, but his dancing is not the best. I think it's interesting to compare her to Mark, especially early DWTS Mark.

Calvin is very charming and athletically gifted, but it's seems to me that's he's stagnated as a dancer. I'm sure it' great fun being twirled and hoisted in the air, but it would have been nice if Lindsay had relied less on so many lifts this season IMO.

I am pleased that Val struck a good tone for the freestyle when it mattered. I think Laurie may have been getting the popular vote this season but I can see James' freestyle resonating and pushing him to the win.

This feels a bit like S16 where 4th and 3rd place finishes were quite obvious and the only suspense all season long was which of the top 2 would win.

Yeah, what was different in season 16, though, is both the technical snafu and the terrible (non-) "solution" they found for it and also that Val wasn't up to snuff in the freestyle. It wasn't bad, but it was underwhelming, that can kill you. I'm sure he's been beating himself up about that for years, being the perfectionist he is. This time he did great for Laurie, it was a lovely, fitting tribute to their whole season together. So I think that is a crucial aspect that will be different no matter the outcome: Val doesn't need to have any regrets.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

I like to be blissfully ignorant and pretend Paige won because she was stellar in both and all season long delivered such a high, high standard. Nyle pulled at the emotion. I'm not saying it to be mean or an a-hole, but if he wasn't deaf, he wouldn't have won. People felt inspired because he danced decently enough for being deaf.

I felt bad for Paige in that manner because she fought hard all season of people saying she didn't have a good enough "story" which is crap because it's about he growth and the dancing and she ticks both boxes. She just got stuck in a season with someone who pulled at people's emotions.

Laurie seems like a perfectly fine winner in that regard. She's had beautiful Ballroom and her Samba, Cha Cha, and tonight's Paso were more than enough to show she can do Latin just as good as well.

The show tried their hardest to try to make James win, but I think Laurie still will squeak out the win.

I disagree about Nyle.  Imho, if he wasn't deaf he would win because imagine how his dancing would benefit from actually hearing the music?  Hearing music is probably an asset to most dancers.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

I disagree about Nyle.  Imho, if he wasn't deaf he would win because imagine how his dancing would benefit from actually hearing the music?  Hearing music is probably an asset to most dancers.

Paige came alive the last couple weeks and that "deaf" themed freestyle, for lack of a better term sealed it for him because he didn't do a good redemption dance either. 

That's why I really don't like the "special class" celebs because the dancing becomes second. I always found Nyle to be like James. Good, but not great and not a winner whose dances i'll remember seasons from now.

The only good thing about James winning would be that Sharna can finally shut up about not winning. #sorrynotsorry

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 2

I want to like Laurie.  Zendaya and Val were one of my favourite couples of all DWTS, so I thought I was going to, but no.  She acts like a child of half her age and it makes me feel sorry for her.  I haven't really liked her dancing and I thought the freestyle was okay, but not wonderful because it exploited that giggly girly thing she does which makes me feel violent even if it does make everyone else feel sunny and free and young again.  I was quite angry when the camera did a slow mo of one of her leaps in the dance.  Seemed cheat-y to me.

I was unexpectedly moved by James' dance.  I think he's a great dancer and actor.  He and Sharna are often quite beautiful together.  

I think I just want Calvin to win.  I have enjoyed watching him the most.  There are moments where his musicality makes him look like he's floating (I know, they're only moments) and that wonderful sense that he's unexpectedly enjoying himself comes through in each dance.  I used to be anti-Lindsey, starting back in her SYTYCD days, but her ability at choreo (or her sources) has improved incredibly and so has her dance ability. 

• Love 3

So I am hearing that for some viewers emotion in dancing is not important and should not be factored in.    If you are moved by a dance it does not count because technique is all that matters?  Would it ever be that way in this type of environment?  It would look too much like watching PBS instead of a program like DWTS where we get to see the whole person and not just steps.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

For me, his timing and "musicality" were actually his stronger points , so I don't know how big of a difference hearing the music would have made. His weaker points were his posture and frame, things that didn't really need hearing for.

But anyway, back to this season...this part of the recap is on point:

I love the relationship between these two; it's very big brother/little sister where Calvin knows he has to kind of listen to Lindsay but he also finds her weird and annoying.

It reminds me of the trio package, when Witney called out Lindsey on her high-fiving habit and Calvin looked so elated to have someone who understood what he had to deal with, haha!

• Love 3

I didn't expect much out of Calvin when I watched his first dance, but he has grown on me to such a degree that if he somehow wins, I won't be disappointed. Even though it's obvious that Laurie and James are the better dancers, I love all his rehearsal packages and most of his dances. 

Also, I love it when the pro and celeb aren't pretending they have this deep emotional connection. I know this thing can probably get pretty intense and cause them to bond, but I just get tired of showmances. That there is not a showmance taking up space in this final three, just makes it even better.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Mondayeve said:

So I am hearing that for some viewers emotion in dancing is not important and should not be factored in.    If you are moved by a dance it does not count because technique is all that matters?  Would it ever be that way in this type of environment?  It would look too much like watching PBS instead of a program like DWTS where we get to see the whole person and not just steps.

To me, emotion on Dancing with the Stars is a fine line and easy to cross. Yes, emotion is good. Emotion makes a dance that much better. But when every dance is hammering the same emotion through the same story down your throat week after week, you become a cold hearted bitch like me and start snorting and rolling your eyes instead of "feeling it". Aaand now I made myself some like a horse with some attitude. 

So Nyle? All his emotion in his dances came from him being deaf and the "struggles"* he faced. It may be awhile since I've seen his dances but to my recollection, his non-emotion-packed dances were like his Disney dance where he wasn't as good as the "Nyle is deaf! Just in case you didn't hear us the 95 times in the past 8 weeks say it, he's deaf!" dances. Same as Bindi "Hey, did you hear my Dad died? I'm not sure you heard my Dad died, so in case you missed it, lemme tell you, my Dad died" Irwin.

This season has been a bit nicer in that regard. Yes, James was supposed to die. We heard a lot about it, sure, but we didn't see week after week of him crying to the camera about his second lease on life. Yes, Terra was smaller than the average person. We heard a lot about it, saw some tears, but every dance wasn't about her "growing and reaching for the stars" and fancy light tricks to make her shadow look like an average height person. If Laurie's grandmother had died earlier in the season, it's kind of a toss up. And then there's Jana and her fucking Journey - with as often as they said it, it deserves the capitalization - which did feel like it was constantly pushed at us.

In conclusion: yes, give me the emotion. But give me honest emotion and then move on. Don't jam it down my throat so it gets stuck there like a toasted peanut butter sandwich and there's no milk in sight. I just want them to stop with the sob stories and Carrie Ann telling me how inspiring something is. Let me feel it, let me decide if I think it's inspiring, don't tell me how to feel.

*I put "struggles" in quotations, not because I question his life and what he might have put up with being deaf but because of the way the show frames things and how it was a buzz phrase for his packages and dances

• Love 6

Such an enjoyable night from Laurie, James and Calvin (who I believe will/should win in that order). Jana is such a good dancer, but unfortunately, I'm just not a fan of Gleb or his choreography ("fun" dances are often watchable, but the emotive, sensual ones are just uncomfortable. I actually turned off their freestyle, but felt bad for her during the judging--she tries so hard and seemed so crushed by it not working out.)

Laurie was anointed the "winner" from the beginning, but Calvin and James have been so competitive and entertaining that, if she wins, I feel she will really have earned it. Lindsay is one of my favorite choreographers, but I enjoy Val's ideas, too,  and Sharna always creates such wonderful character-pieces for James that he acts out so well.  I didn't mind the voice over.  Sharna's very talented with her choreography too--for me, the three best choreographers of the season are also in the finale.

Val is -always- kissing Laurie. From anyone else it would probably be creepy, but from him it just seems like she's a beloved child or even a pet. He's so unusually affectionate for this show, but I guess its a testament to him as a person that it just doesn't seem at all inappropriate. He seems so attached after seeing her every day for 3 months. I wonder if he will miss her when this is over.

Re: Train. I'm glad people here mentioned "Heart and Soul".  Did they credit it? That was weird, to use some of it but with different words and -some- different music as if it was original.

• Love 4

So I  obviously love James and Sharna, dancing and tonight was a validation of that .  I felt that with anyone other than James we would get a sob story that would drag and bring people down, but what I felt here was a man who went through an experience and through dance he found some answers .  For me, as a lover of dance this is huge for a contestant on a dance show to actually come away with a profound understanding of a dark page in his life. 

First of all, the dance was very risky because it might not be everyone’s cuppa, but I really loved how HE embraced the piece. His story of nearly dying had to be his and I so loved how his voice framed the routine, and how the ballroom dancing was front and centre, advancing the story whilst interweaving the contemporary. This dance moved seemlessly from Contemporary to Viennese Waltz on the cello section, as he dances in the comfort of his protector Angel and then I loved how the Beethoven came in with the forces of darkness and the Tango then how the Paso Doble movement perfectly utilized the structure of the music. I also loved how the piece opened and finished. The lift of the angel was done in stop time at the beginning of the dance, the way he embraced and looked down because he needed her, and then when it was repeated when it was time to leave, his head was up in hope. She left the way she came in, like a breath of life. Do we believe in the power of near death experiences? it obviously wasn’t James’ time because has no recollection of the accident, but just as his mind protected him from the obvious struggle his body was going through, this piece I think helped him to come to terms with the experience in a way that rationalizing the experience cannot. That’s the power and the beauty of dance as art. I suppose a "secret" revealed. I loved it. 

• Love 8

One comment I read on YT that I feel describes it best as far as James' tonight.  All of his dances have had a character.  Except for his first dance and now his last dance.  Just James being James. 

Emma on DWTS access commented on his arms and hands, his gracefulness and his extensions.  Those were also the comments made most about his Rumba.  I always feel like we don't see that from male celebs who have never danced before and I admit that might be part of why I am enamored of his dancing.   Like he listens to every detail of instruction that Sharna gives him, takes note and then does it the best he can.   I also see musicality and the interpretation of the music every single time in addition to his storytelling. 

I don't think he is the best male celeb we have had, of course not and I feel Julianne made a bone headed mistake by saying that and actually hurt him by that comment.   But he has brought something extra to the dance floor this season and I think that explains his popularity because he is resonating with people.   I understand YMMV.

1 hour ago, Mondayeve said:

I don't think he is the best male celeb we have had, of course not and I feel Julianne made a bone headed mistake by saying that and actually hurt him by that comment.   But he has brought something extra to the dance floor this season and I think that explains his popularity because he is resonating with people

So I will make the argument that I think Julianne was right, but with a qualifier,  he is not the best male dancer with dance training.  He does not rise to the Charlies, or Corbins of the world. But, I think he is the best male dancer with no prior dance experience who has come on this show.  I even include Gilles Marini, for as much as I loved watching Gilles dance in season 8,  he was a bit of one note dancer, always smoldering sexy. Shirt was open more often than not. That is in contrast to James who really didn't have a shirtless night all season. Just an open lace onsey on Rumba night and an open white shirt on the Freestyle.  Not that it is a bad thing for Gilles to be the constant sexy man, but when it came to him trying on a fun dance like a lindy or a jive, he didn't have the ability to switch over into a cheeky fun dancer. He 'stayed in his lane' as Jana said of herself tonight.  In Season 15 Marini got rather big headed about himself, believing his own hype. Somehow I just don't think James would have an all star season like that.   

James picks up choreography as well as any,  but he takes it a step further into characterization.  This is new, it is something you cannot teach, it is an "it" factor that is rare . The other "new" aspect about James is that he was forced to dance with a new partner for 2 weeks. That type of obstacle is a mirrorball breaker. The last time that happened to a celebrity he was voted off as soon as his pro partner returned.  The other aspect of James is his ability to lead. We saw that on the AT, some will belly ache that it was nothing new, but it is the first time that a female pro is blindfolded for the entire dance so she is unable to coach. So I just don't think the average viewer appreciates how special James is as a contestant.    

• Love 3

I'm irrationally enraged when Carrie Anne goes on about her lift nonsense.  My mother challenged me, and I stressed again that CA talks out of her ass.   How she has the nerve to act so righteous when she's sitting next to a real judge, and the table is filled with people who know what they're talking about. 

I ruthlessly stated, "She was a fly girl. She shook her ass on TV."  I actually had to google to convince her.

Len should have been more firm. 

• Love 5

I have not heard one word CA has said in the past several seasons I FF her. I FED the entire thing last night and just watched the elimination. This show is way too long. 

James for the win! I know Laurie will take it though. ho hum. Another perky young girl, of course. She looks exactly like her father. Not sure where she got that chin though,  neither parent has shown their profile. 

I know style and ability is important, but in a voting show, it really comes down to how the performance makes us, the viewers, feel. Hence the reason many winners were not those whose technique was the best. It was the same on American Idol. 

I have nothing personal against any of these dancers, ever. If the shows touts them as the ringer or focuses on their sob story, it isn't the star's fault. I watch for my own enjoyment. This season, it is James who I enjoyed the most. So my votes went to him. But for once, I really am fine with any of the 3 winning.

• Love 2

If Nyle wasn't deaf.......WTH knows. Maybe he would have danced even better, what with that hearing the music thing. Or maybe the voting public would simply have made him champion for being outrageously handsome. 

TOPIC: I'm sticking with my early prediction that Laurie  will win. Having her jump and run and flip like the happy athlete she is worked much better than the attempt at a "connection" as a femme fatale with Val. 

I didn't care for Calvin's Motown Mash-Up dance, so much so that I didn't watch its entirety. Apparently I missed the best part. His son is too adorable!

James. Well, as a dizzy dame, I could watch James dance all night, and still ask for more. He's really fit, is he not? Heh. So I won't mind if he wins, except I don't want to be wrong. :-p

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1

I know Laurie will take it though. ho hum. Another perky young girl, of course. She looks exactly like her father. Not sure where she got that chin though,  neither parent has shown their profile. 

I think her dad looks pretty chin-y in this picture    middle of page

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Somebody doesn't like Erin Andrews!  I'm so angry that they put her in that dress ... not flattering & hard to work with!!  Just sayin'!

When she first popped up I couldn't believe what they had done to her. Erin is beautiful and tall and can wear pretty much anything and they still somehow found the most unflattering outfit they could. Ugh.

3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I'm irrationally enraged when Carrie Anne goes on about her lift nonsense.  My mother challenged me, and I stressed again that CA talks out of her ass.   How she has the nerve to act so righteous when she's sitting next to a real judge, and the table is filled with people who know what they're talking about. 

You know somewhere Tony was watching this, laughing his head off.

• Love 1

I don't think I would watch any of those freestyles again. James' was the best (loved the music!), but that voice-over was cheesy. Dude, your voice is way too high-pitched to be sexy.

Laurie/Val and Calvin/Linday were adorable as always, but nothing memorable. Laurie is a way better dancer though, and I think she sealed the deal.

OMG Gleb, that freestyle blew! They totally deserved to go last night.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

OMG Gleb, that freestyle blew! They totally deserved to go last night.

Right?!? Like, I know he's been sick, so I'm trying to cut him some slack. But they've been pimping him hardcore all season (IMO him more than Jana tbh), yet I thought his choreography was questionable all season. And last night it was really, really obvious. Jana's dances stood out in a bad way compared to what the other three pros were delivering. I know they want to make him happen, I'm not sure I'm on board.

• Love 5

I think Laurie is a sweet girl, but I am just not a fan of her dancing most of the time.  It always comes across as frantic instead of fluid for me.  I do like her energy and presence, however.  The freestyle was cheesy in the beginning for me, but then some of the choreography I kind of liked as the song went on....

I prefer James and Sharna's style much more...I am hoping they win it.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, katha said:

Right?!? Like, I know he's been sick, so I'm trying to cut him some slack. But they've been pimping him hardcore all season (IMO him more than Jana tbh), yet I thought his choreography was questionable all season. And last night it was really, really obvious. Jana's dances stood out in a bad way compared to what the other three pros were delivering. I know they want to make him happen, I'm not sure I'm on board.

Ugh, he had won the Russian version, I think, so I was expecting good things from him. But that totally sucked!

• Love 1

Been thinking about why I was less than impressed by the dances promoting LaLaland or whatever it is. I'm not terribly impressed with Mandy Moore's choreography, her dances are frantic, and too overtly sexualized, all the hair action, it doesn't move me. Debbie Allen's choreography affects me the same way, at least the frantic part, it makes it unwatchable for me and I avoid it, it's been many years since I've seen any of her dances, so I don't remember if she has all the hair tossing and the overt sexual moves. Specifically what I saw that I thought frantic was a couple of female dancers do the jerk moves, they were rushing so much to get through the move. I'm old, I remember the dance, it looks more interesting if you don't rush it. During the whole 60s part, the choreography just felt rushed and frantic. There's no real need to cram every single move into every single dance. Sustained motion can be a lot more interesting to watch. Mandy Moor has been doing this job for a while, she's proven herself, so slow down, don't try to cram every move you know into every dance.

I thought the Redemption dances were blah - in fact I switched back and forth between DWTS and the Food Network and I never use to switch away from DWTS at all.    That being said, I LOVED Calvin and Laurie's freestyles.   I thought they brought the fun and energy that freestyles should bring.  I hated Jana's FS but I cannot stand contemporary dancing.   I am torn on James because I really like him and I appreciate what Sharna tried to do.  He danced it well but in the end it was just another contemporary dance for me.

So glad about the final 3.   I could make a case for each of them winning and have no problem or preference between any of them.  Best final 3 we have seen in a while.    Each of their relationships with their partners is unique and fun.    (Bye Jana - you weren't a bad dancer - I just found you forgettable and did not really care for your partner or your "journey" - I wish you could have relaxed and had some fun- that might have made you more watchable for me).

I thought Calvin's son was all kinds of adorable and I agree that both Cari ann and Erin must have honked someone off in the wardrobe department.  Neither looked their best.

her dances are frantic, 

I felt like that watching most of last night. Those bumpers all felt like the Pros were going to rip each other's limbs off. Whoever thinks that expresses passion, please stop it. Some the couples' dances were just as bad. 

My goodness, this season was boring and lackluster. I was honestly shocked to realize it was the Finale when I saw the promo over the weekend. I can barely remember most of the performances throughout the season, save for one or two of James'. I do know that Laurie has this all but sewn up because while not amazing, her freestyle was the only one that didn't entirely suck. Well Calvin and Lindsay's was fun but I felt like it took a long while to get going. 

Wow Sharna, way to drop the ball there. What the hell was that hot mess of a freestyle? And I can't remember anything about the Foxtrot besides the awful color and tone of the performance with those drab costumes. And that skirt was a stupid idea that unsurprisingly messed up the performance. And why she thought it was a good idea to go with a long one again for the freestyle is beyond me. After a season of really good performances, those Finale numbers did nothing for James. 

Jana and Gleb...who?

I have a total crush on James for so many reasons, mainly because he IS a beautiful dancer and appears to be a beautiful person. His freestyle made me tear up, and I typically hate freestyles. Calvin's freestyle was the most fun of the night, and I like everything about him. Laurie's was a lot of running around, and WTH was up with her leap getting a FREAKING SLO-MO, for pete's sake? None of the other dancers got special snowflake camera edits. That put me 100-percent against her winning. Thanks, show, for screwing that pooch. James (or Calvin even) for the win.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

My goodness, this season was boring and lackluster. I was honestly shocked to realize it was the Finale when I saw the promo over the weekend. I can barely remember most of the performances throughout the season, save for one or two of James'. I do know that Laurie has this all but sewn up because while not amazing, her freestyle was the only one that didn't entirely suck. Well Calvin and Lindsay's was fun but I felt like it took a long while to get going. 

Agree.  None of the celebs grabbed me this time.  I was happy to see a "big" man do so well.  But, big men are still at a disadvantage.  I have to disagree, in a way, about the more memorable routines.  I remember Jana and Gleb's routines.  They weren't my favorite routines at the time but I remember them which, I think, was what Gleb was shooting for.

28 minutes ago, penbrat said:

I am torn on James because I really like him and I appreciate what Sharna tried to do.  He danced it well but in the end it was just another contemporary dance for me.

But if you look at the dance carefully, it wasn't a typical contemporary dance. It had waltz, paso, tango and who knows what other dances in it! After watching a second, third, etc, time, I enjoyed it more and more. Plus I loved the music and downloaded that version so I can continue to listen to it. I have to thank Sharna for introducing me to the Piano Guys! They are amazing.

• Love 4