Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Bemily

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Kelley suffers the repercussions of stranding Dean on a beach; Captain Lee makes a decision regarding the exterior team; Kate grows frustrated with Emily's lack of attention to her job; Ben and Emily take their relationship to the next level.

Ben needs to wake up & get with the program.  He knew there were problems getting Dean & entourage back to the boat & should have realized they would be starving.  I would have had plates of munchies,  cut up meats & cheeses, etc. on the table waiting for them. I would have changed the menu of the courses of fru-fru type of things that look like they would barely feed a bird to some hearty-type sandwiches (roast beef, chicken, shrimp salad, etc)  & home made potato chips. He has to have some backup sandwich provisions stored in the fridge.  

• Love 1

I suppose that's one way to make Ben and Emily's age gap a little less skeevy; they can both act like they're as mature as a couple of fifteen year olds. I really wish this show would stop trying to make me care about their popcorn fart of a relationship. 

I've had basically no opinion on Emily for this whole season, because she doesn't exactly leap off the screen as any kind of presence, but I made up my mind tonight. That talking head about Ashley "oh, truly a lovely girl but I can tell she's from Manchester" just dripped with condescension, intentional or not. That, and the cloyingly twee conversation with her "daddyyyyyy" a few weeks ago, has got me firmly rolling my eyes now whenever she's onscreen. 

I sniggered when Ashley described how she first met Kyle to Kate. She's a girl after my own heart; pick the scrappiest, dirtiest one out of the heap and pay the consequences for your poor choices later.

• Love 21

Geez Lauren could you be a bigger ass. Losing respect for her each episode

Why is Kate going after Emily. I don't see what em is doing wrong except that she is seeing Ben

Hey Ben are you a Chef or a florist? Worry about the food, guy

Last charter coming up. Will Captain Lee make it? Don't know

• Love 7
1 hour ago, tinaw said:

Geez Lauren could you be a bigger ass. Losing respect for her each episode

Agreed...she is embarrassingly thirsty for Nico, and I thought she might be above that after the obvious friend-zoning.

2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I would have had plates of munchies,  cut up meats & cheeses, etc. on the table waiting for them. I would have changed the menu of the courses of fru-fru type of things that look like they would barely feed a bird to some hearty-type sandwiches (roast beef, chicken, shrimp salad, etc)  & home made potato chips. He has to have some backup sandwich provisions stored in the fridge.

I disagree - Dean and his horde are not the sandwich/chip type.  

Also, the Kelley/Nico "sorry song" - how in the world is that anything other than sexual harassment perpetrated by Bravo - they'd never have had the stewardesses have to do such a thing half-dressed for hetero-male guests.

Edited by Adultosaurus
Added a comment
  • Love 20

This #Bemily thing gets more and more embarrassing as the season progresses. That the show has made it a center focus and even named an episode after their "ship" name doesn't endear to it any more. I cringe through their every cutesy interaction and with all the product placement and event appearances tied into this relationship offscreen, I continue to question how genuine this all is. They shouldn't have to sell it this hard, not if it were real.

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Love 18
2 minutes ago, MattDuffysCat said:

Lauren is actually annoying me the most, which is saying a lot with not one like-able person on this boat. Order of annoyance from most to least: Lauren, Nico, Ben, Emily, Sierra, Kate, Kelley, Cap. Lee, Kyle.

Lauren, Ben, Nico, Sierra, Kyle, Lee, Kelley, Kate for me.  Emily really doesn't register. 

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

If Ben had made that crack about Manchester and Kyle's girlfriend, it wouldn't surprise me, but Emily?  Man, those Brits are a classist bunch.  

This was the US equivalent of Emily labeling Ashley a "Masshole" or a "redneck".  We're every bit as classist.  

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Adultosaurus said:

Certainly not these Brits...they haven't actually behaved in a "to the manor-born" way (Ben pantsless on the gangway)

Have you seen the antics of Prince Harry?  Partying it up and embarrassing the royal family?  I don't think classist means acting prim and proper, but rather believing in a certain prejudicial social order.  

• Love 20
Just now, LotusFlower said:

Have you seen the antics of Prince Harry?  Partying it up and embarrassing the royal family?  I don't think classist means acting prim and proper, but rather believing in a certain prejudicial social order.  

Prince Harry is the most awesome! He's like 10th down on the list for King, so why wouldn't he be?  Classist is exactly what you describe, but how does that involve Harry?  Ben and Emily are FAR from embarrassing anyone.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Adultosaurus said:

Prince Harry is the most awesome! He's like 10th down on the list for King, so why wouldn't he be?  Classist is exactly what you describe, but how does that involve Harry?  Ben and Emily are FAR from embarrassing anyone.

I only brought up Prince Harry's drunken antics because you mentioned Ben going pantless.  It's their attitudes towards class, not their behavior, that deems someone classist.  I'm actually going to cut Ben some slack, cuz I've never noticed him ever saying anything snobby or classist.  But Emily's Manchester put-down was terribly condescending.  

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

I only brought up Prince Harry's drunken antics because you mentioned Ben going pantless.  It's their attitudes towards class, not their behavior, that deems someone classist.  I'm actually going to cut Ben some slack, cuz I've never noticed him ever saying anything snobby or classist.  But Emily's Manchester put-down was terribly condescending.  

They are on a reality tv show - that kinda removes them from any opinion/attitude toward class, don't you think?

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Adultosaurus said:

They are on a reality tv show - that kinda removes them from any opinion/attitude toward class, don't you think?

Well I certainly agree with you, but Emily doesn't.  That's my point - even as a stew on a reality tv show, she still managed to come across as classist.

• Love 5

Re:Flowergate.  Why is Ben so concerned about the flowers (besides costing him megabucks?)  Emily seems like she could care less.  I think a few roses would have been nice given their close quarters.  I was ready to see them come flying out of the refrigerator when Kate went looking for something. How long are we going to be tortured by that (funeral) arrangement?

Lauren used to be one of my favorites, not so much anymore.  Of course Nico's "promotion" was going to get misinterpreted by the crew members.   

I really like Ashley.  I like how she made herself comfortable talking to Kate while waiting for Kyle to get done.  At first I thought "Uh oh" when she said she was going to hang with Kate (like she was going to be in her way) but then Kate didn't seem to mind & was very friendly to her. 

This is a stupid question but just wondering how things work between the crew.  If someone spends the night off ship, do they have to tell anyone?  Or is it just a courtesy thing to maybe mention it to your bunkmate when you're packing your overnight bag so they don't worry you're passed out in a ditch somewhere when you don't come back to the boat?

Call me naive but I don't think Bemily watched movies all nite at the hotel like Ben wanted us to believe.  BTW, did Ben think he was going away for the weekend by the size of the duffel bag he brought?  I know they are limited with their luggage choices but I think a backpack would have sufficed. Most guys would have brought nothing.  Even Ems seemed surprised.  My curiosity is now piqued to find out what is in the duffel - more flowers? (It reminded me when Melissa  RHONJ brought 5 suitcases with her on a girls weekend.)

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

BTW, did Ben think he was going away for the weekend by the size of the duffel bag he brought?  I know they are limited with their luggage choices but I think a backpack would have sufficed. Most guys would have brought nothing.  

Most guys wouldn't be carrying pilfered champagne, caviar and brass candlesticks. ;-)

• Love 7

Kelley really fucked up by leaving Dean and the other guests stranded, but demanding a "sorry" song was beyond ridiculous. I cannot stand people that get off on seeing others humiliated. Kelley was truly sorry and his heartfelt words should have been enough. It takes a truly small person to make someone else put on a show for you. 

I did enjoy Kyle writing the lyrics, though. He thought he was Shakespeare for a minute!

Lauren continues to piss me off. She may be a good worker when it comes to actually getting shit down, but beyond that she's crap. She drinks too much, has no respect for the boat, and spreads misinformation. No one ever said Nico was the new bosun or co-bosun, so she completely pulled that out of her ass and was stirring up trouble. Then, when Kelley reprimanded her about it, she relayed it to Nico as Kelley being butt hurt over the change. Which, I'm sure he WAS a bit miffed over it, but that's not what he said to her at all. He simply told her it was not cool to spread FALSE information about the change. 

At any rate, how much does making Nico SENIOR deckhand for one last charter make? He's still under Kelley. Everyone scoffed at Trevor's boasting about being "senior deckhand", so it seems pretty clear that it's a title and not much more. I'm guessing Captain Lee did it simply to smack Kelley's ego down a notch, hoping that would cause him to straighten up. 

Ben and those fucking flowers! I'm ready to stab him in the eye with him myself! I think Kate is really regretting pushing those two together. I think she did it, partly because she thought Ben was slightly still into HER. If he moved on, it would be better for all involved. But now he and Emily are a bit distracted at work and making things rough for others, and she wishes she never got involved. 

You know, I was one who thought Ben and Emily were kind of cute together at first, and the awkwardness was just the newness of it. But they still seem really awkward together, particularly Emily. One thing that really turns ME off is when a guy asks for a kiss. I mean, the first time - okay. But if I've already let you kiss me, don't ask every freaking time. Be confident and just go in for the kiss! And she always seems to grudgingly let him. I don't know - maybe it's the cameras, but there should be more of a spark by now. 

Kyle's girlfriend is way too much for me with the nails and rings and makeup. But hey, whatever floats your boat. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 12

Can I just say I hate the pointy fingernail look,  they look like claws.  Other than that I thought Kyle's girlfriend seemed ok. 

Lauren pissed me off with the pot stirring.  Kelley did not seem mad to me, he seemed happy to have the help.   He was mad at her for spreading false info.   

Bemily is annoying and I get Kate's frustration in this.  Ben would be all up her ass if she was acting like that.  Wait,  he was getting mad at her for talking to Ro so much. The flowers are wayyyyy to big for that boat.  Stop acting like Kate is mad because she's jealous,  I just don't see it.   Ben has been distracted by it and so has Emily unless it's the editing playing tricks.  

Sierrs is invisible.  

Edited by ihartcoffee
Spelling
  • Love 8

I was mildly surprised by Emily's rude comment about Kyle's girlfriend. It is even more clear that for the UK folks on this boat, attractiveness = familiarity aka classist like others mentioned. Even with the equal 'class' level and looks, Emily and Ben are such an awkward, no-chemistry couple. I wish they would have a wild fight or Em would walk in on Ben and Kate kissing passionately; not that I think Kate is remotely interested in Ben anymore. Something to liven the episode up would have helped.  I guess Lauren's fall from the coolest cast-mate to the most WTF is sort of interesting. Ah well.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ihartcoffee said:

Sierrs is invisible.  

Invisible looks good on her.

Nico is super immature, but he's not wrong that he has nothing to apologize for (unless he moved the keys, and there's no indication he did so - Kelly merely forgot about them). I agree with the captain -- sometimes giving people responsibility ups their game.  Nico is precisely the type that probably will -- he enjoys his work and he's good at it. Seeing him call out the docking instructions, he did so in an easy going but authoritative way.  Given the authority to act instead of merely waiting for Kelly's instructions, he can lighten Kelly's load and advance himself (and the guest experience).  

All the crew responsibilities are pretty cut and dried. For interior crew, sheets need to be washed, ironed and changed, surfaces need to be dusted and cleaned, dishes need to be served and cleared and washed and put away, guests need to be supervised so as to anticipate refilling of glasses and offering of food or activities.  For exterior crew, constant cleaning of salt spray from all surfaces, windows, deployment of watercraft, etc.  A crew of 3-4 people doing the exact same tasks day after day really shouldn't require too much creative management.   

• Love 5

I love Ben's protective behavior over his flowers.  I think that most men equate bigger with better (and for most women that is decidedly not true), and to him those big honking flowers are THE BEST!  Hee.   I agree with most posters that I don't see any connection between him and Em.

Kyle.  I feel very used by production regarding Kyle.  It's like they gave Trevor $1000 to show them how much he could drink in one outing so they would have an excuse to get rid of him because they found someone much more "interesting."  If Manchester girl is the love of his life, why the date with Sierra?  Why the hurt feelings over Sierra.  It didn't work out, why was he butt hurt over Sierra when he has the love of his life back in England?  Nothing about Kyle really makes any sense.  Producers are getting very sloppy.

• Love 13

So Em wants to put Ben in the "friends" category now. I always thought Ben was kind of cool and liked his sense of humor. Now I think he's a controlling jerk. Enough with the flowers and champagne. He was practically demanding that she stop what she was doing on the boat and take a break. Hey, bro, she was working and didn't want to take a break and you were making her feel uncomfortable. Get a clue, learn how to read a room and back off a little bit. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

I've had basically no opinion on Emily for this whole season, because she doesn't exactly leap off the screen as any kind of presence, but I made up my mind tonight. That talking head about Ashley "oh, truly a lovely girl but I can tell she's from Manchester" just dripped with condescension, intentional or not. That, and the cloyingly twee conversation with her "daddyyyyyy" a few weeks ago, has got me firmly rolling my eyes now whenever she's onscreen. 

Plus, if you're going to come after someone for being lower-class, you should at least come with all your own teeth in place.

• Wink 1
  • Love 12
48 minutes ago, LucyHoneychrrch said:

I really liked Ben until he started dating Emily. Now he kind of comes off like a bumbling dunderclunk. Unsurprisingly this is the same reaction I had to a lot of ex-boyfriends -- great from a distance, a cringeworthy nightmare in practical application.

I totally agree. I've generally liked Ben on the show (except when he throws hissy fits over cooking, aka his job) but I guess we've seen his immaturity before and when it comes to actually dating people... well, we can see how that's going.

Not sure why he was so surprised about Emily wanting to be social for once. Their relationship is already awkward on screen and well-adjusted people like to see their friends. That in particular was very awkward imo.  

2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Plus, if you're going to come after someone for being lower-class, you should at least come with all your own teeth in place.

I learned from Austin Powers that nice teeth are not a requirement when you are from that part of the globe. Hell, getting your teeth fixed may be something that lowers your status, like having your nails done or wearing lipstick ;-) Kyle doesn't make sense but I like him being there for that.  There is an unpredictability about him that is fun. Or maybe it is the scruffiness, I do not know.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Kelley really fucked up by leaving Dean and the other guests stranded, but demanding a "sorry" song was beyond ridiculous. I cannot stand people that get off on seeing others humiliated. Kelley was truly sorry and his heartfelt words should have been enough. It takes a truly small person to make someone else put on a show for you. 

I did enjoy Kyle writing the lyrics, though. He thought he was Shakespeare for a minute!

Lauren continues to piss me off. She may be a good worker when it comes to actually getting shit down, but beyond that she's crap. She drinks too much, has no respect for the boat, and spreads misinformation. No one ever said Nico was the new bosun or co-bosun, so she completely pulled that out of her ass and was stirring up trouble. Then, when Kelley reprimanded her about it, she relayed it to Nico as Kelley being butt hurt over the change. Which, I'm sure he WAS a bit miffed over it, but that's not what he said to her at all. He simply told her it was not cool to spread FALSE information about the change. 

At any rate, how much does making Nico SENIOR deckhand for one last charter make? He's still under Kelley. Everyone scoffed at Trevor's boasting about being "senior deckhand", so it seems pretty clear that it's a title and not much more. I'm guessing Captain Lee did it simply to smack Kelley's ego down a notch, hoping that would cause him to straighten up. 

Ben and those fucking flowers! I'm ready to stab him in the eye with him myself! I think Kate is really regretting pushing those two together. I think she did it, partly because she thought Ben was slightly still into HER. If he moved on, it would be better for all involved. But now he and Emily are a bit distracted at work and making things rough for others, and she wishes she never got involved. 

You know, I was one who thought Ben and Emily were kind of cute together at first, and the awkwardness was just the newness of it. But they still seem really awkward together, particularly Emily. One thing that really turns ME off is when a guy asks for a kiss. I mean, the first time - okay. But if I've already let you kiss me, don't ask every freaking time. Be confident and just go in for the kiss! And she always seems to grudgingly let him. I don't know - maybe it's the cameras, but there should be more of a spark by now. 

Kyle's girlfriend is way too much for me with the nails and rings and makeup. But hey, whatever floats your boat. 

Every word you wrote was in my head.  It irked me to no end when Dean made the comment to Kelly that he doesn't deal in apologies.  That was a total manipulation move to humiliate him.  

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Kickboxer said:

I learned from Austin Powers that nice teeth are not a requirement when you are from that part of the globe. Hell, getting your teeth fixed may be something that lowers your status, like having your nails done or wearing lipstick ;-) Kyle doesn't make sense but I like him being there for that.  There is an unpredictability about him that is fun. Or maybe it is the scruffiness, I do not know.

Cosmetic dentistry has only started to be used more frequently in the UK during the last 15 years or so. Dentists in the UK tended to be focused on cleaning, cavities, tooth health and a little bit of straightening. Additionally, 75% of the US has access to fluoridated water, while only 10% of the UK has fluoridated water. British teeth are as healthy as American teeth, but British teeth just look worse.

Every time I watch the Harry Potter film series, I'm always shocked that a bunch of the kids actors, especially the ones who might only have a single line in the films, don't have braces. I can't imagine an American stage parent making that same decision. I'm sure that it's completely bewildering to British actors that Tom Cruise during the period where he was one of the biggest most famous actors on the planet got braces (invisalign) and then later got a whole set of veneers. This was around 2002 or 2003. He was already rich and famous and still felt the pressure to fix his teeth.

4 hours ago, rehoboth said:

Kyle.  I feel very used by production regarding Kyle.  It's like they gave Trevor $1000 to show them how much he could drink in one outing so they would have an excuse to get rid of him because they found someone much more "interesting."  If Manchester girl is the love of his life, why the date with Sierra?  Why the hurt feelings over Sierra.  It didn't work out, why was he butt hurt over Sierra when he has the love of his life back in England?  Nothing about Kyle really makes any sense.  Producers are getting very sloppy.

So not a Kyle fan for all the reasons mentioned here. I was hoping Ashley would rip him a new one for going on a date with Sierra but no such luck, which is cool, I just wanted to see someone go off on him.

3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Boom! That was uncalled for. I could see if Emily and Kyle had a thing and she was being catty but Emily had no reason to come for Ashley like that. Then again they snark on the guests who end up tipping them thousands of dollars so I guess Ashley's fair game.

Edited by Negritude
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Kickboxer said:

I learned from Austin Powers that nice teeth are not a requirement when you are from that part of the globe. Hell, getting your teeth fixed may be something that lowers your status, like having your nails done or wearing lipstick ;-)

Yeah, been to England, seen the teeth.  And I'd never argue with an authoritative culture critic like Austin Powers (even though he was reanimated from the '60s, when dental science was still at prehistoric levels in the UK).  It's just that we're kind of in a more global world now, with more globally accepted norms.  And she's a reality-TV "star."  If it were me (and obviously it isn't), I'd be spending this last huge tip on an implant, so there's not a big black hole in the side of my mouth when I smile semi-flirtatiously  at the guy I'm pretending to be dating.  Braces are another issue.  When your dad calls you "Rabbit," I guess that look was preordained.  ;o)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, rehoboth said:

It doesn't make sense at all. Kyle seemed SUPER into Sierra. And then pretty hurt. Now, maybe he and Ashley had some sort of agreement prior to going out there. But he never even mentioned her until AFTER things went south with Sierra. That struck me as odd. 

4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

So Em wants to put Ben in the "friends" category now

Except then she agreed to go to a hotel with him? Emily has me just as confused as Kyle. 

• Love 2

I think Ashley's cute. She gives me an Angie Harmon vibe. I don't personally like stiletto nails. It's short or coffin in my book. But I don't really notice or knock nails unless it's a guy w long ones (barffffffff) or woman with kickass shade ?

5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

So Em wants to put Ben in the "friends" category now. I always thought Ben was kind of cool and liked his sense of humor. Now I think he's a controlling jerk. Enough with the flowers and champagne. He was practically demanding that she stop what she was doing on the boat and take a break. Hey, bro, she was working and didn't want to take a break and you were making her feel uncomfortable. Get a clue, learn how to read a room and back off a little bit. 

Yeah, Ben came of bad this episode. However, I don't think he was being controlling. It felt more like he had already rented the room and when M's said, "let's go out with the crew." Ben then had to sort of twist her arm a little.

One thing though, when kyle asked for the night off the captain said he could but not over night because they had work in the morning. Why then did Ben and M's get to sleepover

• Love 1

As a Brit to clarify the teeth thing. Dentistry is available on the NHS but does not include cosmetic work. Braces are only used if your teeth are really bad as a kid. Private dentists are much better but if you want a crown you will be looking at £800 -£1000 and full veneers are something like £10 000 ! It is pricey work ! As long as our teeth are healthy we don't really care about them being sparkling white or perfectly straight !

As for the Manchester comment - it was not really classist. Most cities here have stereotypical images. Liverpool girls, for example, are often considered to have a scouse brow (a perfectly sculpted drawn on brow) and an orange tan ! It is not taken seriously - it is the same way that we tease the Welsh about sheep !! 

• Love 9

Yeah I thought the crew had guests coming on board the next day so why did Ben and Emily get to go off the boat to a hotel?

I just do not get someone who says that a person is the love of their life but even considers going on a date with someone else. 

To be fair, I'm not so sure Kyle is pisses at Sierra because she rejected him. I think at first he was mad at her for the way she acted on their date and then she came out with the queen comment and that really irritated him. 

In some cultures it's considered attractive to have crooked teeth, there's even people in places in Asia that have surgery done specifically to make them crooked. Maybe Emily doesn't mind her teeth that way. 

I think Ben was so concerned about the flowers because he probably spent a ton of money on them. "I want Emily to enjoy them" translates to "I want her to get my money's worth out of them." Maybe production even played a part in this and ordered a big bouquet on purpose to annoy the crew. 

The apology song was so unnecessary. But on the other hand it allowed us to get to see Kelley and Nico shirtless so I ain't mad.

• Love 3

Stuck on a  beautiful beach in the Caribbean for an extra hour.  The horror!  The horror!  I completely agreed when Kyle said something to the effect of, "Big whoopdedo."   This is like the stupidest "crisis" I have seen.  They weren't trying to catch a plane.  There was champagne, I think.  There was food back at the boat.  They were in their damn Speedos.  What important event were the guests missing?  More eating and drinking.  My heart does not weep for the inhumanity of it all.  Dean Slover can shove it, annoying control freak.  Can't imagine being around Mr. Big D on vacation.  Or at work.  Or at play.  Or anywhere anytime really.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

As for the Manchester comment - it was not really classist. Most cities here have stereotypical images. Liverpool girls, for example, are often considered to have a scouse brow (a perfectly sculpted drawn on brow) and an orange tan ! It is not taken seriously - it is the same way that we tease the Welsh about sheep !! 

And the same way we tease Jersey Girls!

• Love 4

I really want to like Lauren (probably because I had Connie-sized expectations for her) but she's been a real shit stirrer all season. That said, I think Nico is just as much to blame for the misleading information. He told her that he had been promoted and would be running things with Kelley. To me, it sounds like they are on equal footing. Sure, she could have asked for clarification but Nico also should have been more explicit. Or maybe I'm salty because I'm dying for Nico to say "I'm the senior deckhand" after all the shit he said about Trevor

Edited by rho
  • Love 3

It's so ironic to me how they were giving Trevor so much shit all season long about the senior deckhand thing and now they are acting like it's such a huge deal that Nico has been promoted to one. Is it a meaningful position or just a useless title? Make up your minds.

I can't even say that being "stranded" on the beach for an extra hour is a first world problem, but more like #1PercenterProbz. *eyeroll*

• Love 3