Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: "The Geology Elevation"

"The Geology Elevation" - When Bert (Brian Posehn), a Caltech geologist, wins the MacArthur Genius fellowship, Sheldon is overcome with jealousy. Also, Wolowitz finds an old remote control Stephen Hawking action figure he invented, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, Nov. 17 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network. Stephen Hawking returns to guest star as himself.

I didn't think that the remote-controlled Hawking was in poor taste (except maybe for the eyes that glowed in the dark). I thought that Hawking would have gotten a kick out of it (and it seemed that he would have).

• Love 5

It was nice to see Sheldon get pissed off when Bert made that crack about how he used to have a crush on Amy but realized he could do better now that he's rich and famous.

I think he responded better to Penny's advice because, like his mother, she was more aggressively assertive.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, The Kings Foot said:

Yes, nobody like your short cut Kaley. 

When she got that short haircut I kept wondering what man had done Kelly wrong.  Many women get drastic haircuts when they break up with someone.  Years ago when I went thru a heartbreaking, Adelesque(TM) break-up, I went to my stylist and while I was sitting in the chair I suddenly decided to "cut it all off".   Because of the emotional state I was in, my stylist refused.  She said she never did anything drastic to her client's hair if they were going thru a break-up, had recently lost a loved one or gone thru a traumatic experience.  She is still my stylist and I will always be grateful to her for saving me from myself.

• Love 7

I must say once more that I liked Penny with short hair, I like Penny with long hair. I like Penny.

And I liked the episode. Lots of LOL all round. Sheldon's C3P0 walk was hilarious. Bernadette again didn't act shrill or loud, Raj wasn't creepy, Sheldon stood up for Amy. 

Are we going to see the cleaning lady again, or is she going to be like the vet that Raj had a connection with and just disappear?

• Love 14

The remote controlled Hawking doll was nothing short of brilliant, and I would buy one in a heartbeat. No question. And his appearances on the show are really fabulous.

This was definitely one of the funniest episodes in a long time - it wasn't heavy at all, just flat out comedy. It felt great to simply laugh and laugh.

I didn't prefer Penny's short hair cut. Now, the actress is an extremely good looking woman, so it made little difference overall, but she does have gorgeous hair and having it long gives her so many stylistic options.

• Love 6

I was actually happy to see them do something nice for one of the more "sad sack" characters on the show, and then see how the others react to it. Now if we could get the writers to stop playing Stuart and Raj's misfortunes for laughs, at least for a bit, that would be great.

• Love 4

I know that Stephen Hawking has appeared on BBT a couple times in the past, but every time he shows up I am so amazed at his ability to joke about his situation. He just seems to be so at peace with his life. Does anyone know if he's done any interviews in which he has talked about his comic appearances on BBT, The Simpsons, etc.?

Otherwise, I too thought this was a neat episode, and...

11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It was nice to see Sheldon get pissed off when Bert made that crack about how he used to have a crush on Amy but realized he could do better now that he's rich and famous.

YES!!!

• Love 3

I seem to recall that Kaley cut her hair while she was in salary negotiations -- I think rumor had it that she cut her hair to convince the execs that she was perfectly willing to walk away from the show (severe style changes like that probably have to be vetted now ever since the Keri Russel disaster), and apparently she scared them enough for it to work. That being said, I personally thought it was cute.

• Love 5

Well, I liked Penny's short hair. It was suited to her job and set her apart from all the other long blond haired actresses in Los Angeles.  And I think she's wearing extensions in this episode.

I love the Penny/Sheldon dynamic.

• Love 13

I'm team "Thank God her hair has finally grown back!" I didn't love her short hair cut and I feel her face is better framed with some hair around it. She never looked bad, but this is a stronger look for her.

I enjoyed watching Sheldon grapple with professional jealousy and I think the best part was that when he did read the paper he was willing to acknowledge it was great but that didn't do anything to quell his jealousy. Sheldon's jealousy has been a consistent trait so I liked seeing it explored some more.

I knew when Howard was calling Hawking that Hawking would love that toy and I was disappointed (but not surprised) when he hung up. Hawking seems to have a great sense of humour and would probably be thrilled at a little funny toy. I'm sad (but also not surprised) that Howard will never know.

• Love 6

My only real complaint is now the show wants to make Bert happen.  Normally a new character with focus would not bother me.  But they have trouble figuring out what to do with the characters they have.  Leonard and Penny spend more time most episodes of late sitting or standing beside one another as post-modern Statler and Waldorf.  Raj is creepy, Stuart has moved to odd and flat and hardly there and only in moments of refusing to let any suspension of disbelief exist. 

The plot was decent but it would have been better for me to have Leonard win the award and actually have the writers pull their heads out of their asses and force them to address this friendship on a level they have skirted and hinted but haven't done since Professor Proton's death.  If Sheldon can get so far as wanting to make a baby the "non-scientific" way with Amy, he can face some of his still deep-seated issues with his best friend actually being a worthy person all around.  But that would be too much wouldn't?  I think I'm one of the few viewers left that still find Leonard's caustic but affectionate attitude with Sheldon to be the lynchpin of the comedy.  Without it Sheldon is nothing no matter how wacky and obsessive they make him.  Penny is just dumb.  And Howard and Raj don't matter.  Don't even get me started on Bernadette.

It would have been nice to see some effort with these characters that having Sheldon face some true jealousy where it matter, not some geology professor they pulled out a couple of episodes ago. 

I like the short hair on Kaley much more than her current tangle that is a bit too long and looks very Real Housewife to me (in that it is hair that looks pampered and yet like crap at the same time).

• Love 6

I think the episode was the first one  laughed at in a very long time. It almost felt like before, in the early seasons. Jim Parsons carries this show on his shoulders a lot. 

13 minutes ago, tenativelyyours said:

The plot was decent but it would have been better for me to have Leonard win the award and actually have the writers pull their heads out of their asses and force them to address this friendship on a level they have skirted and hinted but haven't done since Professor Proton's death.  If Sheldon can get so far as wanting to make a baby the "non-scientific" way with Amy, he can face some of his still deep-seated issues with his best friend actually being a worthy person all around.  But that would be too much wouldn't?  I think I'm one of the few viewers left that still find Leonard's caustic but affectionate attitude with Sheldon to be the lynchpin of the comedy.  Without it Sheldon is nothing no matter how wacky and obsessive they make him.  Penny is just dumb.  And Howard and Raj don't matter.  Don't even get me started on Bernadette.

It would have been nice to see some effort with these characters that having Sheldon face some true jealousy where it matter, not some geology professor they pulled out a couple of episodes ago. 

I think that idea was far better than using Bert, who just doesn't seem to that interest me very much. I would have preferred a paper that Howard and Leonard co-write right before the new invention (or heck, not had Sheldon on the gyroscope project) and win. The jealousy would have been far more interesting. 

• Love 2

I'm guessing from a writing standpoint, A) they've pretty much already done Sheldon-Leonard-Howard jealousy plots before. B) the premise was Bert won a MacArthur; so they can't do that with one of the main characters without it having a long term impact. If they wanted to do this as a one-off plot in isolation (and my impression is, they did), they're better off doing it with a tertiary character.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 8

I'm shallow and in a bad mood. What drives me nuts in a pet peeve sort of way are these things. It's the way the Penny and Berny actresses pronounce some words. For Penny: "Amazing" is amaZEEN. "Interesting" is interesTEEN. And the Bernadette character  - "baby" is beebee.... "famous" is fee-mous. Yes, I'm petty.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

I didn't think the remote control Hawking was in poor taste.  I liked it.  How long until they make them for real and sell them?

I didn't like her short hair either, but she is hot with short hair, long hair, whatever hair. 

I like Bert. And the show is getting stale with the same characters in the same old situations.  I don't mind them doing some episodes on him. 

Some good moments.  I agree Leonard and Penny just seem to stand around watching others far too much lately

• Love 1

I just remembered Kripke! I loved seeing him again, if only for a few seconds. I figured now that John Ross Bowie has his own show, Kripke would just disappear but there he was! Sometimes he's too over the top, but I thought he was perfect in this episode.

• Love 12
23 minutes ago, ari333 said:

I'm shallow and in a bad mood. What drives me nuts in a pet peeve sort of way are these things. It's the way the Penny and Berny actresses pronounce some words. For Penny: "Amazing" is amaZEEN. "Interesting" is interesTEEN. 

What's weird to me is I usually associate that particular habit with certain Michigan accents, but google says Kaley is from California. And Penny's from Nebraska and I don't know of that being a Nebraska thing (not that I think Kaley would even take it to the extent of trying to do some sort of Nebraskan vocal thing anyway). I am not a linguist, so maybe it's just happenstance that everyone I've personally known to do that was from Michigan rather than actually being a regional thing. My real point being: I find it distracting.

• Love 1

Loved the whole episode but I have to say the Kripke and the Ellen cameos were priceless! Anyway this episode was firing on all cylinders and  I feel like this is what the show should be like now.  All the time.  Got that  writers?  All the time!

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Some good moments.  I agree Leonard and Penny just seem to stand around watching others far too much lately

I've noticed this too and while it bothers me a bit I do like that the last few episodes have seemed to have only two storylines.  When they try to give each character (or at least each couple plus Raj) their own story that's when the show really falters IMO.

• Love 2

I agree that Leonard and Penny seem like supporting characters lately. The storylines always seem to revolve around Sheldon, Howard and Raj.

I didn't care for Penny's short hair when she first cut it, but once it started to grow out a little it looked nice. I don't think Kaley looks very good with really long hair. It's too thin and stringy for her to pull that look off. She wore it about shoulder length when she was doing 8 Simple Rules and Charmed and when this show first began, and that was really the best look for her IMO.

• Love 4

Anyone else think Bert had suddenly died when the guys saw the plaque outside Bert's office and said, "Oh, no!" For a second I thought, wow, this got dark quickly.

Also, I believe I am safely in the minority when I say that, while I find Penny generally attractive, I don't find her to be anything special and her hair length doesn't change that either way.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:
  • What's weird to me is I usually associate that particular habit with certain Michigan accents, but google says Kaley is from California. And Penny's from Nebraska and I don't know of that being a Nebraska thing (not that I think Kaley would even take it to the extent of trying to do some sort of Nebraskan vocal thing anyway). I am not a linguist, so maybe it's just happenstance that everyone I've personally known to do that was from Michigan rather than actually being a regional thing. My real point being: I find it distracting

BBM

I find it distracting too. It's good to know that someone else hears it.

(Ashton K does it on 2.5 Men too and I hate to admit I watched that)

I guess I need to re watch this eppy and pay more attn. bc I didn't find it that funny on first watch.

Great episode. I hope the Hawking model was not just used as throw-away joke. (I thought it funny in show-universe, in real life probably not so much.) Harold could make a career out of creating amazing nerd-inspired toys. And it would make him happier than working for the military. But that would remove him from CalTech. Still it could be an option once the show ends.

Loved the Kripke cameo - I guess I have to give 'Speechless' a try.

@MissLucas you might be on to something there! We all know Howard's gonna end up being Mr. Mom (if they can't talk Raj into being the Manny, that is. The man's so wealthy...). That may be a way to still be bringing in major revenue to the Wolowitz household and still be there for little (I think it's a girl myself) baby Wolowitz.

Something for the series finale...Hawking finds out about the toy, loves it, offers him an insane amount of money for it, word gets out and EVERYBODY wants one (be honest, you'd want one too). He gets to stay home and still bring in more money than his wife.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

(be honest, you'd want one too).

He! I have a mini-Tardis with sounds effects and that's about as far as I'm willing to go down that particular route of geekdom ;) But Howard as toymaker would really be a great endgame for the character. And let's be honest: it would probably drive Sheldon crazy, so bonus points for that.

• Love 4

Has Kaley's hair actually grown out that much, or is she still wearing extensions? Also, I get distracted by her constant lip-pursing/trout pout thing....like in this episode right after she pronounced that "I hate all of you!" she immediately returned her lips to that pouting posture.

• Love 2
On 11/18/2016 at 4:13 PM, ari333 said:

I guess I need to re watch this eppy and pay more attn. bc I didn't find it that funny on first watch.

Other than the Stephen Hawkins action figure, I thought this episode was pretty bad.

First off, how inspirational would a doll like that be for kids in wheelchairs? It wasn't in poor taste.

But for the rest of it? I'm sick to death of Sheldon insulting people whenever they're trying to make him feel better. They constantly make excuses and rationalize his boorish behavior.

And him being violent? How much more out of character are they going to make him?  The only thing funny about that was Leonard's bloody nose for laughing when Sheldon dropped the rock on his foot.

I've never liked the actor who played the geologist. He was a recurring character on "Just Shoot Me" years ago, and I cringed every time he was on.

Edited by SmithW6079
2 hours ago, Ouisch said:

Has Kaley's hair actually grown out that much, or is she still wearing extensions?

Basically all actresses on TV right now wear extensions (or sometimes wigs) to make their hair look fuller on screen. In Kaley's case I think they added some length while they were there.

(I remember this because Mayim Bialik has written about asking not to wear extensions as Amy -- with the exception of the prom episode, where she wore some for extra curl -- as an easier way to make her look plain. Her hair in reality doesn't seem that thin to me, but on screen compared to Kaley's and Melissa's the illusion carries.)

• Love 2

I play a Simpsons game on my computer.  One of the characters is Stephen Hawking who runs around the streets just like Howard's toy.  You can also make him helicopter around in his wheelchair.   I don't think either is in bad taste or maybe a little to make you laugh.

• Love 1

I admit I'm geek enough to want one of those Hawking remote controlled things, like ASAP.  I knew Hawking would love it and not think it was in bad taste.  The show would never do that without his approval, I'm sure.

I'm also sure Kaley's hair had extensions in it.  I noticed it right away.  In some scenes I could even see some of the shorter hair sticking out a bit.  Besides, wasn't her hair a little too much shorter in the previous episode to have grown that much so fast?  The way the other cast members acted about her short hairstyle made me think the show was echoing the fan sentiment on the issue.  Perhaps they finally got her to wear extensions by telling her it was "by popular demand".

That said, yes to this being a multiple laugh episode reminiscent of earlier seasons, and yes show please continue.

• Love 1

I think the rule these days with BBT is you can expect a genuinely funny episode only when there's a top-class guest star booked and everyone puts forth their best effort (and, I suspect, Lorre and Prady pay close personal attention).

On another note, I feel sorry for anyone who didn't see this week's vanity card, which I thought was hilarious.

• Love 1

I feel sorry for anyone who didn't see this week's vanity card, which I thought was hilarious.

Anyone who mentions the vanity card, please provide the link where we can see them.  I don't have recording capability, and those who do may not get the card on their recording.

• Love 1
On 11/18/2016 at 0:24 PM, CherryAmes said:

Anyway this episode was firing on all cylinders and  I feel like this is what the show should be like now.  All the time.  Got that  writers?  All the time!

I didn't laugh a single time, and smiled only at Sheldon's strange walk due to his injury. The remote control of Hawking was embarrassing, juvenile...The whole episode was so different from the previous 2 or 3, which had genuinely clever and funny repartee. I barely remember the inclusion of the Ellen clip, but I liked it.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

But for the rest of it? I'm sick to death of Sheldon insulting people whenever they're trying to make him feel better. They constantly make excuses and rationalize his boorish behavior.

I agree with this statement too. He's really a douche a lot of the time.

The girlfriend Amy is putting on weight, and the clothes they make her wear (mostly knits) just accentuate the gain.

On 11/18/2016 at 11:26 AM, dungeonwriter said:

I think the episode was the first one  laughed at in a very long time. It almost felt like before, in the early seasons. Jim Parsons carries this show on his shoulders a lot. 

Absolutely agree.  This season it feels like they're giving Parsons a chance to get another Emmy.   Anyway if they can keep up the quality of the writing the actors are all good enough to keep me watching.  I'll admit it even though I didn't hate last season I sure didn't love it but this season has been much stronger and this episode more than held it's own.  Laughed out loud a few times which is a good thing :).

Edited by Homily
  • Love 3

I didn't think the remote controlled Stephen Hawking was in poor taste, but I can see how everyone would tell Howard they thought it.  The only one who volunteered the opinion was Bernie and she would typically not like the nerd stuff (neither would Penny or Amy).  Everyone else was asked for their opinion and they, especially the guys, would not want to compliment Howard, it is more their style to tease, or put him down, or "kill his joy" (quoted because I am being overly dramatic).

On 11/17/2016 at 7:09 PM, Spartan Girl said:

But was Sheldon mad because Bert didn't think that Amy was good enough, or because he thought he had "won" over Bert, but now that Bert isn't crushing on Amy, having Amy as a girlfriend isn't a winning point.

On 11/18/2016 at 8:02 AM, tenativelyyours said:

The plot was decent but it would have been better for me to have Leonard win the award and actually have the writers pull their heads out of their asses and force them to address this friendship on a level they have skirted and hinted but haven't done since Professor Proton's death.  

I would like this idea if it wasn't award that included over a half a million dollars.  A character getting that kind of money would change the show.  

Speaking of the money - They were told once that the University gets a majority of any outside money the scientists get for a project.  Would Bert get to keep all the award money?

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

would like this idea if it wasn't award that included over a half a million dollars.  A character getting that kind of money would change the show.  

Speaking of the money - They were told once that the University gets a majority of any outside money the scientists get for a project.  Would Bert get to keep all the award money?

It's awarded quartely over a period of five years, so while $625,000 is not chump change I don't think it would change the show.

The grant I'd awarded to the individual so Bert gets to keep it. 

• Love 1