Type keyword(s) to search

S33.E09: Still Throwin' Punches

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I wasn't sure I'd be able to continue watching the show if Taylor didn't go home. The back-and-forth between him and Adam during TC was so cringey I almost couldn't handle it. Why didn't Adam take out his advantage and throw it into the fire!? Absolutely no use hanging on to that thing. For a "super duper fan" he really has no clue.

Maybe it's because I like rooting for the underdog, but I'm really enjoying watching Jay. I don't know if he'll make it to the end because I'm not sure what group he can work himself into the way things stand right now, but it seems like he won't go down without a fight and that will at least be fun to watch.

Hannah bothers me less than she initially did, Zeke is great, the Gen-Xers are one amorphous lump to me right now, and Will, in my opinion, is the biggest waste of casting space to make it past the merge in recent memory.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Lastly we've come a long way since 2001 and the Australian outback when there was the unproven suspicion Kel had swiped but a single candy bar and here we have food stealing played for laughs in 2016.

The unproven suspicion was that Kel had a secret supply of beef jerky.  In Survivor Africa, the castaways were so angry with Clarence for eating a couple of extra beans, that it led to him being voted off. 

As long as they show Ken from time to time, I am okay with him not speaking. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

That was a weird TC. it's been a while since high school, so I was not getting why Taylor thought that admitting he stole food and hid it was so endearing and amusing. I am not on an island and I am not hungry, but it still pissed me off having to listen to his laughing and braying like a donkey. I did like the looks on Ken and David's faces...was trying to read their reactions and see if they changed their votes.

So, no beer for Will...and he has a beard and everything, just like a real grown-up. And Michelle, sporting the latest look from Little House on the Prairie..girlfriend still strikes me as a born predator. Just not a successful one. And Sunday...neither you nor Brett seem to have any game...running to Jay to give him info without getting anything in return...not smart, not a winning move. I like Chris, but Sunday and Brett are a pair of dunderheads...they have the Gen-X numbers, just roll with it, and get rid of Jay and Will. How hard is that to figure. 

David did well at the food challenge, and Ken and Chris really bring it..they beat the younger guys. 

I continue to root for my TV boyfriend Ken to win it all...but Chris has a nice game going, and Zeke does as well.

Wait, what?  A predator?  Confused.

And Sunday and Bret going to Jay is smart. They are going to need allies once that huge majority implodes on itself in a few episodes.

• Love 2

Man, Taylor is a total dick.  Play as a dick, go out as a dick. Why is Adam upset?  Because you're a liar!

It's ridiculous to drink a lot of alcohol when you've been food deprived.

Sunday has the most annoying voice.

Damn, I was hoping Jay would play his idol.

Good riddance to the douchebag.

• Love 10

And the stupid hyperventilating everytime something major happens is really annoying. Especially since sometimes I almost feel like she's playing the role of cliche nerd girl in every teen movie rather than actually being this way. 

Yeah. I keep half-expecting the "nerdy girl gets a makeover and is smoking hot at the prom" episode.  But yeah, the hyperventilating has bugged me for forever.

• Love 5

I think the suspected candy bar was on the women's tribe in the Amazon.

Ken's old-vinyl-loving-man-in-a-prime-of-life body is coming out:  "Congratulations, Ken."  "Good job, Ken."  Beat....beat..."My knee hurts."

The camera pointed upward at wobbling Ken was pretty...nice.  Even flailing and almost dropping his ball, he looked good.

I didn't see Adam as gloating either--I think he speaks dramatically and his saying "of course you're on the bottom" was more of a "well, duh" trying to be comradely (and trying to lead up to "shall we still work together") rather than a "nyah nyah" gloating but he just didn't read his audience right.  

Too bad he was so overwhelmed at TC that he didn't say "Of course I'm not going to steal a loved one visit...the only one I'd consider is one of those "advantage in the next challenge" and you all saw me at the reward challenge, I'm not strong, you would probably beat me even if I stole the advantage, I'd do it if it was the only way for me to stay in the game" and downplay his reward-stealing advantage.  But he was too busy being aghast at Taylor twisting things and telling on him.  Doesn't think well on his feet, that guy.  (He's not my favorite, but I prefer him to Taylor!)

• Love 17
2 hours ago, LanceM said:

I know this is a minority opinion but I am sad to see Taylot go. He was definitely bringing some entertainment that is fr sure.  Adam can go anytime as he is really really starting to annoy me.   Sunday has a strategic thought? Who knew.

Taylor was like the Court Jester. He was good to keep around because we could always laugh at his stupid & idiotic moves.

IMO, Adam has some kind of personality disorder. He told Taylor about his advantage because he figured that would be a "good move". I just can't figure out what to call this disorder. Is it a form of Narcissism? Or kind of the opposite? I wonder if  something may be wrong with his brain or maybe something is wrong with his emotional state?

Edited by AliShibaz
  • Love 6

Adam is just...not good at talking to people without making them hate him.  He has turned into a great goat.

Ken can do all the things.  I'm surprised he didn't take a swipe at Jay with the "dumb surfer" line.

I imagine Kel settling in to watch tonight and slowly putting a bag of beef jerky back into the cupboard.  "Too soon," he said sadly.  "Too soon."

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 12
54 minutes ago, LanceM said:

There was a very good reason they voted out Michaela namely that Michaela was trying to vote out Jay's allies. First by telling Adam to vote out Figgy which him and his tribe promptly did and secondly for plotting to vote out Michelle who was Jay's number one ally in the game.  She even told Jay about this plan which was just dumb.

On that day the targets were Brett or Sundae and Michaela was ride or die with the millennials going into the projected merge.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

On that day the targets were Brett or Sundae and Michaela was ride or die with the millennials going into the projected merge.

She was obviously not ride and die Millennial because she wanted to get rid of Michelle next. It just happened that Michelle got voted out next anyway but Jay had no way of predicting that.

I am just surprised for someone is a threat and has such a big target on his back like Jay has, people in the tribe couldn't get together to vote him out.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

On that day sure. But she told Jay that once they got to the merge her number one target was Michelle. This is from Michaela herself in exit interviews after the game.  This is also one of the reasons why Michelle got voted out last week because her name was brought up as a threat because Michaela had told her plans at the merge to Brett and Sunday as well.  There is always a lot more going behind the scenes than what the editors choose to show every week.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Man, Taylor is a total dick.  Play as a dick, go out as a dick. Why is Adam upset?  Because you're a liar!

It's ridiculous to drink a lot of alcohol when you've been food deprived.

Sunday has the most annoying voice.

Damn, I was hoping Jay would play his idol.

Good riddance to the douchebag.

As soon as Taylor told Jay that he had the advantage, Jay told him that he could now "destroy Adam's game" or words to that effect and he told him to blow up Adam's game by telling everyone about his advantage.

As soon as that happened, I got a very strong suspicion that was just wrong and stupid but really appealed to Taylor and would mean the downfall of either Taylor or Jay. Of course, Jay egged Taylor on but then voted for him and that insured that if it didn't work out, it would be Taylor going home.

I think that is a very valuable lesson to remember whenever someone tells you that you are much more powerful than you think you are and urges you to destroy your enemies. It kind of reminds me of Mussolini advising Hitler on how to destroy their enemies. It's a bad idea to listen to people who are less powerful than you are who tell you that you are all powerful and you should destroy others.

Translation? When it comes to game play, Taylor is a dick.

Edited by AliShibaz
  • Love 4

The thing that annoyed me the most about this episode was Hannah's over-the-top expressions at TC, and Michelle's reactions too. Buh-bye TayTay. LOL at his dead eyes at the end of the episode, talking about sailing off with his "buddy". 

What made Will vote for Jay? As opposed to Taylor? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Why do TPTB hate Ken all of a sudden?  They loved him in the early episodes but the last two he has been non-existent.

I'm just guessing about this. But the fact that someone is non-existent in the show does not necessarily mean TPTB hate them.

Usually, the person who gets voted out plays a large part in the show and a few other people who might be reasonable alternatives for getting the boot also play a large part.

I think TPTB need to focus on a few players who are all good possibilities for getting the boot in order to build the suspense and keep the audience guessing.

Isn't it kind of predictable TPTB make it appear like someone will be getting the boot - only to show us that someone else gets it instead? Usually that is the most exciting aspect of each episode.

What do you think?

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, AliShibaz said:

Taylor was like the Court Jester. He was good to keep around because we could always laugh at his stupid & idiotic moves.

IMO, Adam has some kind of personality disorder. He told Taylor about his advantage because he figured that would be a "good move". I just can't figure out what to call this disorder. Is it a form of Narcissism? Or kind of the opposite? I wonder if  something may be wrong with his brain or maybe something is wrong with his emotional state?

I think personality disorder is taking it way too far. I think he's just not good at reading social cues and he's awkward and does what many people have done - screw themselves over by overplaying the game. 

• Love 15
Just now, MattDuffysCat said:

I think personality disorder is taking it way too far. I think he's just not good at reading social cues and he's awkward and does what many people have done - screw themselves over by overplaying the game. 

How about a minor personality disorder then?

I don't think everyone has to have a personality disorder just because they do things you don't understand. :) My career is in psychology, and I'm just not seeing anything that could even come close to a diagnosable personality disorder, whether major or minor.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Jobiska said:

The camera pointed upward at wobbling Ken was pretty...nice.  Even flailing and almost dropping his ball, he looked good.

I thought they were trying to go for an up-the-shorts shot... not to objectify Ken, but I certainly wouldn't mind. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, JaggedLilPill said:

If I was following this correctly, Jessica is only polite with Sunday saying "Good morning" and "Hi" but nothing beyond that. And since Sunday voted for Jessica before, she feels like Jessica is going to be coming after her.

I remember last week someone asking or complaining or something about Sunday not getting any air time.  Now we know why.  She is dumber than even Taylor.  Yeah hatch a plot against Jessica for personal paranoia reasons and split the mega-alliance of convience way too prematurely because you try and take out Jessica and you just made an enemy of Ken as well.  And Ken is connected to David.  And David is connected to Zeke.  And Zeke is connected to Hannah.  And Hannah will be happy to tell Jay/Taylor/Will to join them in voting out Sunday.  Neither Sunday nor her buddy, Brett the Booze Hound, are well endowed with gray matter it seems.

1 hour ago, Dust Bunny said:

No longer Team Jay. Wow. He didn't just throw Taylor under the bus, he bombed the floor under him, a la, "Speed". I almost wanted to give Taylor a hug with the "dumb surfer" line. That was Mean Girls-esque.

I have a feeling Jay is feeling ashamed. He's young, and I think he'll learn from this. There's self-preservation, but there's also class in the midst of it. 

Why would Jay be ashamed.  It's called Survivor.  It was a good move to both throw mud at Adam and throw Taylor under the bus as well.  Well played, Jay.  Doesn't hurt that you have stupid Sunday wrapped around your little finger as well.  As such he got to keep his idol for another day too.  And he will so be worming his way back into the game.  Dude is a player.  One I'm rooting against but give the devil his due.

17 minutes ago, AliShibaz said:

Adam has some kind of personality disorder. He told Taylor about his advantage because he figured that would be a "good move". I just can't figure out what to call this disorder. Is it a form of Narcissism? Or kind of the opposite? IMHO, something is wrong with his brain or maybe something is wrong with his emotional state?

Yeah I will really miss Taylor.  He brought the entertainment.  I don't care a fig if he stole their food.  It wasn't my food.  And if they were too stupid to notice enough food to fill three Mason jars was missing it is on them.  I mean Brett didn't even bother to say a thing about seeing Taylor run off with the Mason jars.  So they weren't exactly starving to death if he didn't bother to bring it up earlier.  Taylor is a "villain" I can get behind.  A mindless, grinning idiot type that is entertaining.  I'll take him over the hateful, abusing kind any day.

And yeah Adam must have some sort of death wish personality.  I mean he seems hell bent on committing Survivor Suicide every time he opens his mouth.  And yes Adam, you share Taylor's "guilt" about the food since you didn't tell the others.  You used his theft as a game move for you.  What kind of stupid move I have no words for but nonetheless it amounts to the same level of "guilt" as in you kept that food away from the rest of the tribe when you could have played hero and gotten it back for everyone. 

And why did he look surprised that Taylor ratted him out at tribal?  Of course Taylor would.  Everyone knew it was him or Jay so he had nothing to lose at that point so why not throw a bomb.  Why did Adam not realize that would be a possible logica outcome when he blabbed in the first place to Taylor.

I don't know who was dumber this episode.  Adam for his lack of tact with Jay, Sunday for wanting to blow up the mega-alliance before it should break apart naturally and throw the whole game into total chaos or Taylor voting for Adam instead of Jay.   I think I vote Sunday since this is the first time she got some decent face time and we learn how dumb she really is so she has the "news" advantage since we already learned how stupid Adam and Taylor are already.  She was looking better as a lump on a log in past episodes.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, JaggedLilPill said:

And since Sunday voted for Jessica before, she feels like Jessica is going to be coming after her.

I loved that Sunday made it sound like the whole season was revolving around the epic clash to come between her and Jessica because she said approx "Maybe she'll get me before I get her, but one of us is going." And I don't think Jessica even has Sunday on her radar. But to Sunday this is the crux of the season. BTW nice whiff on getting that done...

1 hour ago, charleeeeeeeeene said:

Why didn't Adam take out his advantage and throw it into the fire!? Absolutely no use hanging on to that thing.

I think that he'd still have the 'stain' of it on him unless he said "Jeff I officially transfer my advantage to my good buddy Taylor. I want no part of it." What he SHOULD have done is get rid of it when could have kept Taylor from going to eat yet more food after being a confessed food stealer. He might have actually gotten some credit for using it in that manner. It was his chance to grab some food and not be judged about it.

Oh and as I remeber them... the two 'food' incidents was Kel who apparently had beef jerky that he claimed he had a reed in his mouth instead I harkened back to that last episode saying he was probably disconsolate that a "fellow food stealer" got off so easy. (Loved the "No. Too Soon." mojo)

The women had a situation where at the bottom of a bag there was an energy/granola bar that showed up. They thought it belonged to someone that brought it along and instead of sharing it among the tribe they burned it as a symbolic gesture.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, MattDuffysCat said:

I don't think everyone has to have a personality disorder just because they do things you don't understand. :) My career is in psychology, and I'm just not seeing anything that could even come close to a diagnosable personality disorder, whether major or minor.

I don't think the original poster was seriously saying "personality disorder" as in something actually clinical.  Just a conversational way of saying "how stupid can this guy be."  People do that stuff all the time.  I know that might annoy you as a professional in the field but hey that is just how people talk so what can you do.  I just gave Adam a "death wish" in my post above after all.  I'm not serious about it either.  Just a more colorful way of getting my point across.

BTW I think your avatar might need a new ball cap with the Tampa Bay Rays logo on it.  Or maybe just give the cat to Matt Moore, heh.  :-)

Just now, green said:

I don't think the original poster was seriously saying "personality disorder" as in something actually clinical.  Just a conversational way of saying "how stupid can this guy be."  People do that stuff all the time.  I know that might annoy you as a professional in the field but hey that is just how people talk so what can you do.  I just gave Adam a "death wish" in my post above after all.  I'm not serious about it either.  Just a more colorful way of getting my point across.

BTW I think your avatar might need a new ball cap with the Tampa Bay Rays logo on it.  Or maybe just give the cat to Matt Moore, heh.  :-)

Yeah but people throw that around all the time. It's dramatic. 

And no, I refuse to change my avatar. Thanks. 

• Love 4

How many times did Father Jeff announce that Will could only have soft drinks? And at one point Jeff paused his commentary on the immunity challenge just to remind Will that he couldn't drink beer? Lol poor Will, how embarrassing. Julia got off easy.

I love Ken, but lately when I see him on screen, I'm reminded of Jeff asking James (or was it Colby?) at the Heroes vs. Villains reunion: "were you having any fun out there?" Lol jeez, Ken didn't even crack a smile or fist-pump when he won immunity, and he accepted his award in silence. I wonder if he's just sick of the people on his tribe. Given that he once lived off the grid, I can imagine that maybe some personality types and little tics are rubbing Ken's nerves raw. [/end of speculation]

I felt for Adam at tribal. It almost felt like bullying, the way Taylor defamed him and then Jay happily jumped on the bandwagon - when it was just hours ago that he helped Taylor scarf down all of the food. Adam makes himself an easy target, IMHO, because nobody seems to "get him", but Jay and Taylor in particular seem to have a disdain for Adam that goes beyond the Figgy vote. And I get the vibe that Jay looks at Hannah in a similar way: "how did this nerd get one over on me, when I thought I had this nerd in her place and I thought I was controlling the game?" I personally think entitlement is part of the reason why Jay was so ticked off by Adam telling him he was on the bottom. I think Jay was gambling that Adam still wanted to be with the cool kids, and Adam would therefore do everything in his power to save Jay, not tell him "sucks that you're in this position, but ..." [/end of speculation]

I still see Jay winning this game, though. His edit seems to be the only consistent one throughout the season.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Jobiska said:

Too bad he was so overwhelmed at TC that he didn't say "Of course I'm not going to steal a loved one visit...the only one I'd consider is one of those "advantage in the next challenge" and you all saw me at the reward challenge, I'm not strong, you would probably beat me even if I stole the advantage, I'd do it if it was the only way for me to stay in the game" and downplay his reward-stealing advantage.

Isn't Adam the one with the deathly ill/superfan mother though? I think people might have actually understood if he'd specifically wanted that reward. 

12 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

I loved that Sunday made it sound like the whole season was revolving around the epic clash to come between her and Jessica because she said approx "Maybe she'll get me before I get her, but one of us is going." And I don't think Jessica even has Sunday on her radar. But to Sunday this is the crux of the season. BTW nice whiff on getting that done...

LMAO. I guess when you're playing, you don't know that you will be the bump on the log, as someone else aptly described Sunday earlier. Maybe she's been talking leftover strategy from week 2 this whole time, and the producers have wisely sought not to air it.

Taylor at least was dumb, shocking, and funny. Sunday talks like anyone else is going to think getting rid of Jess is the best strategic move. If you want to hurt that alliance, you get rid of Ken. He's the immunity challenge horse.

I doubt anyone will get rid of Sunday for a while because she's such a nothing in the game, but I'm hoping to hear even less from her, if that's possible.

• Love 7

I wouldn't trust Adam if I were playing Survivor with him but I'd trust him IRL. He seems like a good guy who's just not good at the politics of the game.

Over the years there have been tons of people on Survivor way more loathsome than Taylor, but I can't remember one that made me want to reach through the screen and slap the bright out of his eyes like he did tonight. Hate that I'm going to have to look at his moronic smile on the jury every week.

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, EvilApplesauce said:

How many times did Father Jeff announce that Will could only have soft drinks? And at one point Jeff paused his commentary on the immunity challenge just to remind Will that he couldn't drink beer? Lol poor Will, how embarrassing. Julia got off easy.

Julia only got off easy because she told everyone she was 22 and not 19.  Jeff has said that if a player wants to keep something secret than they will not be the ones to divulge it.  Julia was told though in private by the producers "No booze for you!"

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AliShibaz said:

I think that is a very valuable lesson to remember whenever someone tells you that you are much more powerful than you think you are and urges you to destroy your enemies. It kind of reminds me of Mussolini advising Hitler on how to destroy their enemies. It's a bad idea to listen to people who are less powerful than you are who tell you that you are all powerful and you should destroy others 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here, Ali Shibaz.  Personally I'm quite glad if Hitler took "bad" advice that possibly caused him to murder even one less person 

37 minutes ago, huahaha said:

Isn't Adam the one with the deathly ill/superfan mother though? I think people might have actually understood if he'd specifically wanted that reward. 

Yes and sadly she passed away before even the first episode was shown. She never got to watch his dream come true.  In fact I think I read she passed away during the last week of filming.  Even if they did have a family visit she wouldn't have been able to make the trip.  No idea if he was still in the game at that point but what an awful situation.  I hope he was home in time, even though it would cost him the game 

• Love 7

That TC is a pretty good example of why I liked Taylor as a character. I perfectly understand the hate but his dumbness got reactions out of people and the Adam/Taylor dynamic was probably the most interesting one this season. 

Adam is terrible at communicating. That super loud voice of his makes him come off like a jack-off when I think he's just trying to be honest and real with people. He's so screwed unless people decide to take him to the end as a goat. I was still impressed by the fact that he sorta hung in there during TC and even when outnumbered fighting Taylor, Jay, Will with Michelle laughing over on the jury, Adam swung it around and put Jay on the defensive. 

I could see Jay holding on long-term. He's got the HI so he's safe for another round. A nine-person alliance clearly will break at some point. I think he handled the aftermath pretty well. And he's still goes some credit with Sunday and Brett for saving them. 

• Love 8

I have to agree that Taylor takes the cake for "Survivor Contestant I'd Most Like to Reach Through My Screen And Choke". Just his whole attitude really irked me. And he was totally thinking "I've got this thing on Adam, and it's golden and will turn everyone against him and not vote for me or Jay" but he was to hyped to 'share' it and didn't phrase the whole thing well.

The key to that was that he could 'steal' someone's just-won reward prize. He didn't use those 'magic words' in his giddiness to reveal the secret and it seemed people thought Adam could just kind of 'invite himself along on any reward' not that he'd be taking someone's place and they'd be back on the beach with the other non-winners.

He was really all over the place trying to lay out his case and in so doing also impugned Jay for joining the 'Final Meal' of the stolen-away foods. He also didn't do any favors from a clarity standpoint by lying that Adam ate the food too. Then too much got sidetracked in the back and forth about if that was a lie or not.

Taylor just couldn't really pull his case together and that's why he went home. I think Jay in that moment also realized he was toxic and could torpedo his game at any moment as well, so bye bye.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 4

I'm thinking that TC was the wrong time to bring it up. What they should have done was tell people that they saw Adam stealing the food and lead the starving tribe mates over to the jars and said that's where Adam has been hiding it. To make it not look fishy they could have said that they just saw him today with the jars, but people don't think that far ahead when planning to get someone out.

Taylor knew he was wrong for stealing food from people who are starving but then again he was gloating about it and smiling, proud that he did it. He reminds me of the Grinch the cartoon version. You know when the Grinch wouldn't even let the mouse eat that crumb by the fireplace.

• Love 2

I laughed when Sunday said she wanted to vote out Jessica. Maybe five women voted out in a row wasn't sexism from the guys after all. I was looking forward to the forum's reactions had there been a sixth consecutive female boot, though.

This episode was mostly dull because of two bad challenges. Besides being a blowout, the reward challenge suffered from being a random temporary collection of people named Orange Team and Purple Team. Just imagine watching a football game with those two team names. And the immunity challenge was one of those super-exciting balancing challenges that no one would watch if it was an Olympic event.

Can you imagine Hannah facing the jury as a finalist? Even if she is just a jury member, she's going to be spectacularly overwhelmed. Can't wait!

Edited by Superpole2000

Taylor so reminds me of kids I went to high school with who were always part of the in crowd and when they did stuff like be selfish and eat all the food then publicly laugh and gloat about It the other kids backed him up. Then they hit college or jobs and... they got smacked in the face with the reality that they weren't surrounded by sycophants any more. 

• Love 18

So I need this explained to me. Sunday wants Jessica out desperately. Sunday goes to Jay and he's all, "tell me whatever name and I'll write it". The Gen-X'ers and Hannah, Zeke and Adam decide to split the vote, tell this to Sunday and she gets emotional that there is nothing she can do and she really wanted Jessica gone instead. Um okay, how about you get Brett and Chris to agree, at which point you pull in Taylor, Will and Jay and that's the numbers because the other six were splitting the votes. Sunday talks about wanting to play the game and make a move and despite wanting to boot someone, she just folds because, "well what can I do?" Seriously...

It was too early for Sunday to make her move.  Her main alliance is with Chris and Bret, and then she's looking to Jay/Will/maybe Hannah as part of the old 'green tribe' group.  Taylor was never part of her plans anyway, so why not eliminate him now and get Jay/Will even more dependent on you in the future.  Sunday can certainly wait at least one or even two more rounds before moving to oust Jessica.

It would be pretty wild if Sunday, of all people, emerged from editing no man's land to suddenly become a threat in this season, but I guess stranger things have happened.

• Love 1

My boy Jay is stone cold. The way he defended himself and threw Taylor and Adam under the bus- man! But he is still so pretty (hello, cheekbones!) and is currently getting the winner's edit, IMO. He's been present in the story-lines since the very beginning and people in the game generally likes him, even though they are not in the same alliance. I liked how humbly he talked to Hannah and Adam after the last tribal council even though you KNOW he is not happy about it. He is willing to do what it takes to win and I respect that. If he manages to get to the end, highly likely he is winning.

Contrast that with Adam, who may be a nice guy in real life but almost everyone in the game is annoyed by him, even those in the same alliance with him. He may get to the end as a goat, but no one is handing him a million dollars.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 7

I wasn't sure I'd be able to continue watching the show if Taylor didn't go home. The back-and-forth between him and Adam during TC was so cringey I almost couldn't handle it. Why didn't Adam take out his advantage and throw it into the fire!? Absolutely no use hanging on to that thing. For a "super duper fan" he really has no clue.

I was screaming the same thing, throw the damn thing in the fire!! Taylor would have crapped his pants and Jay would have used his idol in fear that he might be next. That would have been brilliant but I don't think Adam has a clue about how to play the game.

• Love 4

I think we're seeing Adam in the worst light because he is in a game that depends on social strategy and he clearly has a lot of difficulty with social perception and understanding. However, I think a lot of this also might be overconfidence--he keeps lamenting that he might be "overplaying," when in fact, he's really just playing very badly. But because he thinks he is awesome at this (and isn't), he's not able to see how deep the hole is and start the miraculous Vlachose dg-out. 

I get the feeling that both Adam and Taylor are grating to be around, and that it contributed in part to Taylor being the target rather than Jay. Taylor might be decent at physical challenges, but there's really nothing about him suggesting he's a threat to make it to the end or win. But I am very willing to believe that the experience of being around him in person is similar enough to the experience of watching him on TV. 

I think Jay's plan to throw Taylor under the bus formed as soon as he saw the food stash. I think laughing it off and participating were likely calculated to lull him into a sense that it wasn't a big deal and consequently get him to pretty much blow himself up, then vote for him. Taylor was doing a great job of making mincemeat of himself at TC and didn't really need Jay to jump in there, which ended up just making jay look bad. Now THAT was actual overplaying. And I agree with others--this should have been shared before TC to have any real hope of changing votes. I think everyone voted as they originally intended, though I definitely want to hear more about Will's vote against Jay. 

• Love 7

Very happy to see Taylor go.  He is one of the most vacuous and morally repugnant contestants ever.

He not only believes that the universe revolves around him and that what is good for Taylor is good for the world. He actually assumes everyone else will agree with that.

Jay is crafty but I found his lying about Adam to be despicable.  It is one thing to lie TO people  (you really can't play Survivor with doing this), but lying ABOUT people is far worse in my book.

I thought Adam should have responded to Taylor's talk about him stealing the family reward by saying, "Only an idiot would steal that reward as it would make the rest of the tribe hate me and kill me with the jury if I made it to FTC."

Taylor's talk about finding a GF and expecting his relationship with Figgy to continue was pathetic.  She was stranded on an island with you, idiot.  There are countless better choices in men in the real world.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Jay is crafty but I found his lying about Adam to be despicable.  It is one thing to lie TO people  (you really can't play Survivor with doing this), but lying ABOUT people is far worse in my book.

Lying TO people is ok but lying ABOUT people is bad? How about lying TO people ABOUT other people? Lol. To me, both are just as bad and meant to deceive other people. That's just part of this game, though.

I would say Jay is an opportunist. He didn't start the shit, but he joined in when he realized it might be to his advantage if Taylor or Adam drown themselves. Taylor lied that Adam helped him and ate the food and Jay just piggybacked on it. None of them looked good coming out of that exchange, but I doubt it will have much to do with who goes home next. Most of the other players are thinking long term instead of petty disagreements at this moment. Jeff tried to spin it like Taylor went home because he stole food but I disagree. He went home because he wasn't part of the majority alliance and they planned to take him or Jay out in the vote anyway, whether he stole food or not.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Not worried the least bit about Taylor...I have no doubt he was thrilled at the prospect of going off to make hay with Figgy at the Ponderosa for the balance of the game.  He was dumb as a box of rocks but his chill attitude was somewhat endearing.

If this is the case he was probably disappointed to find that she's not there.  Only Michelle.

8 hours ago, Jobiska said:

Too bad he was so overwhelmed at TC that he didn't say "Of course I'm not going to steal a loved one visit...the only one I'd consider is one of those "advantage in the next challenge" and you all saw me at the reward challenge, I'm not strong, you would probably beat me even if I stole the advantage, I'd do it if it was the only way for me to stay in the game" and downplay his reward-stealing advantage.  But he was too busy being aghast at Taylor twisting things and telling on him.  Doesn't think well on his feet, that guy.  (He's not my favorite, but I prefer him to Taylor!)

Or at least try to assure his allies that they'd only use it as a strategic measure to take something away from an outsider.  Or destroy it.  His scrambling to explain himself made him seem guilty for something that hadn't happened.

6 hours ago, GaT said:

Does anybody else feel like Taylor & Jay were surprised the plan didn't work?

Not Jay.  I think he knew Taylor was a goner and did his best to distance himself while making Taylor and Adam look as bad as possible.  (Shame on him for stealing the food um...we both ate.)

• Love 3

You know, I think the one thing I hate about this stupid Gen X vs. Millennial split is that I have Jeff sitting there saying "hey is it just "Millennial to sit there and look like a total douche bag, and laugh about how you stole and hid food from people." and Taylor is just sitting there nodding and grinning like a baboon. No. it's not just millennial, you idiot. It's stupid, selfish, and wrong, and I hate going down the whole "it's how you were raised" path - but I don't get to be so proud about it, bragged about it, and all "hey I'm gonna do this."  about it then still be shocked that people voted you out. 

My friend brought up Coconut Bandits or those who had a hidden fruit stash or something - and to me that's different. If you find an advantage in the game - go ahead. If I can remember correctly, Tyson + Gervase weren't stealing the coconuts from camp, they were going out and enjoying extra coconuts (and I feel because it was COCONUT - it's something you can find if you continue to look). the Show gave all of them the food. Taylor ate more than his share, then decided to shove everything into jars and bury it (Something that Brett saw), ate a chunk of it, told Jay about it, and then Jay and He decided to eat the rest and bitch how unfair Adam and company is for wanting to vote them out. And that's okay because Adam's advantage is so much worse.. 

WHAT?!

Sadly, I think I would have been "Adam" in this situation. When I am super frustrated, or trying to defend my point (and i'm irritated), my voice (according to my brother so he'd know ;) ), gets really loud and sometimes shrill. like i guess it cant handle the stupidly lol. but I tink he wa s missing some key points. How it should have been argued was like this 

"Taylor is making this "advantage" seem way more lethal than it is. all it said was, if I wanted i can "take" a reward. It doesn't have to be the loved ones visit, and actually I decided a long time ago, I wasn't going to do that, but it could have been something like today like instead of Taylor going to the spa, I could have gone, and he stayed at camp. I would never have thought about taking a Loved Ones visit away from you. it's not an advantage to move ahead or anything. However, if to secure your trust in me and where I stand in this group, I'll burn it right now, it's not worth it." (fire burn, and then Jeff gets mad, win win). 

"Not. if you think it's a threat, vote me out." shut up, fool. 

And Brett with "Well, you know I only saw him hide the food! I DIDN'T EAT IT LIKE THOSE TWO!" just shut your mouth. If you had opened it, and said something guess what dummy - ALL OF YOU WOULD BE EATING IT. You don't get a cookie because you saw and did nothing. At least with Adam he was trying to do something strategic with his information (dumb wrong choice to trust Taylor but hey). If it doesn't convince people now that when you get advantages or idols, just keep your mouth shut - I don't know what will.

Re: Jay. no it's not fun being at the bottom, but guess what Adam wasn't rubbing it in your face he was telling you the situation. That was your cue, to be like Look. you are not at the bottom with us, sorry to try to target you out, let's all work together (and Sunday + Brett) vote out Jessica, and we're final 4 or whatever. see how easy that was? You don't go to Will and bitch how Adam's being an asshole for basically telling you the lay of the land. (and wouldn't Michalea been good to have right about now, eh? Even if she targeted the people you liked, she's your shield, now you're the target).

Re Sunday. What? Like what? To be honest, funnily enough, I don't even think Jess gives Sunday two thinks in this game right now. (which in itself is telling) but I never got the idea, even with the whole bootoff  - Jess is all "I can't trust her." and honestly if she really wanted to have the vote split she could have been like "Hey okay, instead of Jay - why don't we split between Jess + Taylor because I think she has something (not even a lie!!), and it's still two birds/one stone. Don't pout and be like "I can't do anything..." (But i seriously don't get Sunday's glitch).

I actually got spoiled about who would get voted off tonight.. so i knew going in it would be Taylor. but after seeing the episode, it didn't bug me one iota.  

• Love 8

Exactly.  No, Jeff, Taylor's lack of concern about stealing the food isn't because he is a Millennial because I believe with everything we have been shown that Taylor would act like that if he was born in 1970 or 1980 or 1990.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, huahaha said:

I would have, if I were Adam, said either A: I don't plan to use the advantage...didn't use it for this past reward challenge, did I? and/or B: my mom is pretty ill with cancer so a visit from a loved one is important to me. I don't think he's told them about his mom so that would have shut down the obnoxious cool bros. Or, at least, I hope it would.

I feel like Adam doesn't read people well at all. That's his downfall here. Though maybe he is playing a good game. He seems to be getting rid of his targets while staying safe himself. Could be editing that makes us scratch our head. But I agree with another poster who said that the two cool bros seemed to really hate Adam regardless of the Figgy ouster. And they look at Hannah and Zeke similarly. When Hannah was proud of her own gameplay and Jay was commending her, it was so freakin fake. He is a user. And if he, Tayls, Michele and Will had just accepted Adam into their alliance, maybe they'd all still be in the game. 

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 3