Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Chapter 7

• Start Topic

I have no idea why the site won't let me post that first quote except under spoilers, but that's another reason why I think the show is at least partially faked. Shelby should, at the very least, be passed out from blood loss and pain and unable to move her arm, adrenaline jealousy rush or no. And not even wincing when Dominic is patting and pawing her? And able to slip on a kicky pullover sweater instead of her blood soaked hippie blouse--a white sweater that doesn't have a trace of blood on it? Nope.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, califred said:

I have a weird question, one of the Polk kids looked like the little boy (now man) from Kate & Allie his IMDB says otherwise but man they look similar.

It was him. Frederick Koehler. I'm seeing it listed on IMDB but not Wikipedia, but I recognized him immediately too. Ack, he's 41 now. He's old. I'm older.

• Love 4

I think the people they're showing as dead really are dead; although I do keep waiting for Sydney's hidden tricks to show themselves. Take it with a grain of salt, though -- I thought Agnes would be the last one standing!

So, Lee is possibly alive, Cuba is alive, Shelby is alive, TV Shelby is alive, and Audrey is alive. That's it, right? If this pace keeps up, we could burn through that set in no time. Plus, it's night 2 and it was supposed to be 3 nights in hell. That leaves episodes 9 and 10 for and interview with the survivor? A where are they now on the Polks?

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, califred said:

My husband and I were both astonished she could beat someone to death with a hacked off shoulder.  I doubt she'd be alive but she certainly wouldn't be smashing her estranged husband to pieces.

Actually blind rage will enable someone to do just that and not feel the pain until later.  That was where she was at the time

11 hours ago, Snookums said:

I'm still thinking the "twist" is that none of the murders actually happened, or some of them were faked, like the production crew's, and then it turns out some of the actors were actually slice n'diced and it all goes up in a glorious conflagration while Flora and Priscilla skip away into the woods. 

I thought the production team deaths were faked and would not be surprised if it turns out that they were faked and that one or two of the cast members were in on the deception to up the drama and catch Lee as a murderer. Only for them to be shocked to discover that the murders are real and before they can get away, they are murdered also. Actually, I would love this to happen.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Pixel said:

True, but that was because he was past his expiration date. It's not too late for Lee to be rescued, and with the previous suspicion on her for Mason's death, the last third of the series could be her being accused of all the other deaths. I know, there's footage, but I'm spitballing. 

I'm also on the "Lee is the only survivor" train because:

1. She brought her gun with her and wasn't as afraid of the ghosts as the others.

2.  I'd like to think she'd live just to be reunited with Flora as she is her only parent now.

3.  She didn't do this just to be on TV. She did it to clear her name since the last series apparently ruined her.

4.  There wasn't enough "leg meat" in that pan to make it clear that she was dead. As long as she can still run, she'll have a chance.

13 hours ago, PerfidiousAmber said:

What the hell is up with these people's obsession with filming everything with their phones?? I'm finding this to be really weird and disturbing. I would much rather be keeping my eyes on the surroundings and what might potentially be jumping out at me than focusing on the bloody phone six inches from my face.

Is it bad to say that I wanted Audrey to die just so I wouldn't have to hear that abominable attempt at an accent again? The dialogue she was given didn't help either. Wouldn't mind the character at all if she only spoke in her native accent.

I liked the real life Butcher, she looked creepy as hell, and oh man what a way for Agnes to go out. Does anybody know the actors who played the real life Butcher and Ma Polk?

I think each of them has their own motivation for doing it. It's an interesting commentary on reality television and "found footage" films. Lee is filming to clear her name. Some of the others were filming so people knew what happened to them in case they didn't make it.  At first they were filming because they were asked to film. Why can't the actors stop filming themselves? Is a strange and funny question to actually ponder.

I think it's more interesting to ponder just how their phones haven't died yet after all this time.  (Although you could fan wank since their phones don't have the ability to "call" in a they probably have more battery life than average ... but not this much.)

6 hours ago, Joan van Snark said:

Surprised I have not seen anyone mention this, but Gaga goes from being arguably the central character last season in a Golden Globe winning performance (whether she actually deserved it was debatable), to a glorified cameo with no dialogue and less 5 minutes of screen time?  What gives?  Did she have scheduling conflicts and was only available for limited filming?

Her album, Joanne, just came out and I imagine since she was only in the first half of the series she took all that extra time to work on it. Matt Bomer's schedule may have been up in the air since his new series was only officially picked up at the end of July and could have started shooting at any time after that point.

Or maybe he & Finn wanted a break. It seems like if an actor is willing and open Murphy will do his best to put you in as many episodes as possible but if your schedule is tight or could change at any minute he'll squeeze you in where he can. 

Gaborey Sidibe went from being in nearly episode of Coven as Queenie to having small parts as Regina in Freak Show and Queenie again in Hotel but at that point she was already on another tv series, Empire. Ryan likes her. Her schedule was tight but he still found something for her to do to keep her around.

• Love 4

My husband and I were both astonished she could beat someone to death with a hacked off shoulder.  I doubt she'd be alive but she certainly wouldn't be smashing her estranged husband to pieces.

And how when she got hacked by Agnes, the first thing she does is grab her phone and start filming???? She says it's so "the world will see who killed me" but COME ON. Between that and her perfectly intact rotator cuff it was fake.

• Love 4

Lee, as a former cop, probably wouldn't be fooled by a fake-dead production team. I don't think they're fake.

Out in the woods with gawd-knows-what? Be sure to keep that phone on so you can be easily spotted by the glow!

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Valny said:

Dear lord, first the two brutal head bashings on The Walking Dead, now Shelby crowbarring Matt's head to a pulp on AHS! What timing!  I was surprised to say the least. Wooh boy! I really thought Bates was going to do her in though.

And she managed it without the ten-minute monologues!

I wasn't expecting that. I saw Kathy Bates get her head bashed just before I fell asleep, though (the TV was on, but muted, and I looked up just as it ended). Ugh. 

1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

It was him. Frederick Koehler. I'm seeing it listed on IMDB but not Wikipedia, but I recognized him immediately too. Ack, he's 41 now. He's old. I'm older.

Ack! He's the same age as me. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Anela said:

Ack! He's the same age as me. 

Ha. He-and you-are not old. But when you remember him as the 'little boy from Kate & Allie', it's hard not to feel old when you realize he's now over 40. And I'm older by...um, a few years, so....

We saw Lee in previews for next week, with creepy, uglied up, inbred Finn, so I'm assuming she's still alive. Tho I guess they could be recent flashbacks, showing us how they carved her up or something. Blurgh.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, morgankobi said:

Lee, as a former cop, probably wouldn't be fooled by a fake-dead production team. I don't think they're fake.

You are right. I forgotten that Lee was a cop. They could not have fooled her so they must be dead.

Wow this episode. So Matt has been possessed by the evil witch this whole time?

I don't know. I keep going back on this whole thing being faked, I wouldn't be surprised. For some reason i feel like Fake Matt Cuba may be the only survivor.

My favorite moment was Cuba's "oh ****" moment when Gladys was killed by the butcher.

• Love 1

I wasn't even clear on where exactly Agnes cut her or how deep. I don't think they ever showed a wound. All I could see was the cleaver slashing down her side.

And how when she got hacked by Agnes, the first thing she does is grab her phone and start filming???? She says it's so "the world will see who killed me" but COME ON. 

Yeah . . . there were some very awkward moments in this episode, where the "conceit" of all the participants filming the events with their phone cameras really didn't work, like - at all. That was one of the most egregious examples, but also the scene I mentioned above, where they emerged from the tunnel all freaked out and are still all holding up their phones and filming each other. Uh, I don't think so. At that point, you drop the phones and you run.

• Love 4

I forgot to list these two items:

1) The handicam work, while necessary for the conceit, makes me motion sick so I have to sort of watch those scenes out of the corner of my eye. It means I miss some details but it's better than puking.

2) I thought the "made for tv" characters were scary - the witch, the butcher, Mott, etc. - I was shocked at how much scarier their "real life" counterparts were. Grittier and grimier and scarier.

• Love 6

I am really still not sure how I feel about all this episode. The characterization is still all over the place, but this episode actually seemed scary, so that was a nice change.

Holy crap, Shelby is wacko! I am positive that the Witch put some weird magic sex whammy on Matt, so its hardly his fault he was having creepy sex with demon witch, which makes Shelby bashing his head in seem even crazier. Lady needs to do some new yoga poses or something.

I love how they made all the "real" ghosts and creatures WAY creepier in "real life" than they were in the show. I thought they were creepy before, but they seem way more inhuman and otherworldly in the real world. I have no idea where this season is going, and I like that feeling. I cant believe we still have three episodes!  

• Love 6

4.  There wasn't enough "leg meat" in that pan to make it clear that she was dead. As long as she can still run, she'll have a chance.

I've going to spot you the part where the amount of leg meat might mean she isn't dead--but I have to question whether that wasn't MORE than enough leg meat in the pan to put a little dent in the "as long as she can still run" part.  : )

Isn't anyone curious how Agnes kept suddenly spouting ancient Celtic?  (Closed captioning here.)

• Love 5
4 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Thanks when I looked at his IMDb last night there was no AHS.  And crap he's 41.  I'm 42 I didn't realize he was my age.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, locomoco said:

She was mad.

This legit made me laugh for a good minute. I can't help it. When the scene aired last night it was horrifying but reading a simple of explanation of how with a messed up shoulder wound that Shelby attacked Matt with vigorous skill to his death and the simple explanation being that she was mad is hilarious. Along with what I said earlier about Cubas reaction to Gladys being killed. Sometimes this show is funny.

• Love 5

Finn was the Polk son that threw the bag over someone's (Lee's?) head out in the woods (you just saw him briefly). I read somewhere else that the assumption is his character was the one filming at the Polk house.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, califred said:

I have a weird question, one of the Polk kids looked like the little boy (now man) from Kate & Allie his IMDB says otherwise but man they look similar.

Wow really? I could have sworn that was him.

1 minute ago, PerfidiousAmber said:

I forgot about this until I read the recap, but the funniest thing in the whole show was Lee pulling out her gun and shooting Agnes without putting her phone down.

I was just typing "Lee looked badass filming with one hand and shooting Agnes with the other" when you posted. Great minds!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

So, we have back stories on everyone but the pig man. Who is the pig man? Why is the pig man? What if it's Finn?

They explained the pig man a few episodes ago--sorry, don't recall which episode. But The Butcher killed someone by putting a dead pig's head on a man and then burning him alive on a spit like a roasted pig.

• Love 1

I like horror novels, but they don't scare me. I don't really know why. Horror movies evoke a fear response, but while I enjoy reading horror books, they don't get the same reaction from me.

For the most part, American Horror story has been more like the books than the movies. I enjoy watching, but I rarely ever get scared by it. Occasionally it will have a moment that is creepy and gets me to feel the tension for a bit, but those moments are usually rare and brief. For the most part, it's just an entertaining show to watch.

Last night I was freaking out from start to finish. I caught the later showing at 1 am, which probably didn't help, but still. This is the first time I have ever been on edge like that for the entirety of an episode. 

Even es despite some of the silliness, and when you have one character ask another character why they are filming something so that they can explain to the audience why there is footage of a situation even though there is no real reason for there to be three separate times with three different characters in a single hour, you've definitely cross some kind of line, the episode was legitimately scary, which is not something I usually associate with this show despite the theme.

• Love 1

So, we have back stories on everyone but the pig man. Who is the pig man? Why is the pig man? 

And speaking of the Pig Man, didn't Agnes express regret for killing Diana? "She had a baby" and all that? But according to Diana's cell, it was very clearly the Pig Man who attacked her! Unless it was that other PA who had, like one line about Carolina cooking before being cleavered. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Snookums said:

And speaking of the Pig Man, didn't Agnes express regret for killing Diana? "She had a baby" and all that? But according to Diana's cell, it was very clearly the Pig Man who attacked her! Unless it was that other PA who had, like one line about Carolina cooking before being cleavered. 

Yeah, she was talking about the other woman whose throat was cut.

• Love 2

Glad i wasnt eating anything for those last few minutes lol.. what if the big twist is that there are actually no survivors..?(and Ryan Murphy was trolling everyone the whole time)

Three episodes left..? This season is short.. when does the next installment of American Crime Story(about the Hurricane Katrina fiasco) premiere?

Six season seasons in, I think this is their best season yet. It's an actual horror story, instead of a weird character drama with some disturbing moments. 

I love the way all the ghosts are gritty and serious. I mean considering how good Kathy Bates was in the role of the Butcher, it would take a lot to upstage her. You only needed one look at the "real," Butcher to know this woman ain't playing. 

• Love 6

You know what? This is my fav season, the first 5 episodes was okey, scary with intresting plot about haunted not only house but also woods. And after those 5 episodes everytime i see series i feel fear :D All episodes are so intresting that after watching i always ask myself "that it???nooo" :D So yesterday i watched 7th episode and it was one of my fav. I hope Lee is okay. And i think she is going to be a surviver, because logical mothers always survive in horror stories, because of their kids :) 

amber necklace for babies

1477578719-slack-imgs-1com.jpeg

• Love 2

Could someone please remind who this "Diana" character is that Alyssa mentioned might or might not come back (right before she got chopped)? We're getting low on surviving cast members, so I figure Diana might show up, but I don't remember the name.

As usual for this show, I'm having trouble keeping up with the names.  (It's okay, show, I had the same problem in Sons of Anarchy.)

I am really enjoying the performances -- particularly Kathy Bates this time around.  (And, to be fair, she gets credit for three roles because -- legit split personality playing a character -- Butcher (in her head), Butcher (character in a television show), and Agnes -- versus actors role playing.)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, candall said:

Could someone please remind who this "Diana" character is that Alyssa mentioned might or might not come back (right before she got chopped)? We're getting low on surviving cast members, so I figure Diana might show up, but I don't remember the name.

Diana was the woman producer that stormed off after the crew member was killed in the on set accident, and crashed her car and died after the Pig Man attacked her from the back seat. 

• Love 3

This was a fun and scary episode especially with the "real life" versions of the ghosts and the redneck cannibal family wrecking havoc. However all the characters' endless need to film everything with their mobile phones becomes really annoying. If the next town is only 5 miles away, just run! Also, are they all supposed to be locked in? If I witnessed one of my fellow reality show participants getting killed, all bets are off and I will be running as fast away from the house as I can rather than going to a "confession booth", and trying to air my views for the camera! Oy!

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 9

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could cover 5 miles in half an hour if cannibal hillbillies and a crazy Method actor with a meat cleaver were killing people all around me. I don't know what limitations ghosts are under in those woods, but the Polks would have needed Usain Bolt to catch me.

My reaction to this episode? "THEY ALL DEAD NOW!"

• Love 11

The crow noshing on Sydney's intestines was gross enough for me, let alone the rest of the episode's shenanigans!  

I wonder if they are savoring the irony that the bad crazy lady from Misery (Which I am too wussy to have ever watched) gets dispatched here with a cleaver herself, right down the middle of her skull, even more brutally than the evildoing in Misery.  

Count me in with those loving how the real versions of the butcher and Ma Polk are even scarier than the reinactors.  There was some speculation that Taissa Farmiglia (sp?) would come back as the real forest witch, but we barely saw enough of the witch's face to be able to discern whether or not it was her. 

18 hours ago, candall said:

Isn't anyone curious how Agnes kept suddenly spouting ancient Celtic?  (Closed captioning here.)

I figured Agnes was so obsessed with "being" the butcher that she researched it.  Also, it could have been that she was just recycling her lines from the original show. 

I completely missed the fact that Finn was one of the Polks.  Will have to watch for that next time.

I wasn't sure that Audrey and Angela Bassett's character (Monet?) knew they were eating human flesh, let alone that it was Lee's.  I wondered if they just thought they were eating something gross prepared by the Polks.  I had trouble hearing and understanding all the Polks' dialogue though, so maybe they mentioned it. 

• Love 1

I figured Agnes was so obsessed with "being" the butcher that she researched it.  Also, it could have been that she was just recycling her lines from the original show. 

I assumed the reenactors were somewhat "possessed" by their time at the house--Monet's alcoholism as an extension of her time as "Lee," Dominic's weird obsession with Shelby, Audrey's insecurities about her relationship, and Agnes's sudden mental break were all manifestations of the weirdness at the house and the characters they played while they were there.

• Love 8

Well, that escalated quickly. It is interesting that despite the blood moon, almost all of the carnage in this episode was human-perpetrated: Shelby killed Matt; Agnes attacked Shelby and killed the production crew; the Polks are terrorizing Lee, Monet, and Audrey. If we exclude Rory's murder due to it having occurred at the end of the previous episode, the ghosts really didn't do much in this one until the real Butcher killed Agnes at the end.

When Shelby and Dom were at the window looking out at the mob, I wanted them to mention something about how they've each been there before - Shelby for real, Dom as part of the re-enactment. I got a kick out of how the shots of them at the window were just like the re-enactment shots.

Sarah Paulson's weepy delivery of "I'm not an American! I'm not used to this kind of carnage!" was so funny I had to replay it multiple times.  I also loved Matt's expression when Audrey explained that no, she wasn't a nurse at a hospital, but in a play.

• Love 6

Okay, THIS was scary.  I had no idea what was going to happen, it was so crazy. 

I startled my dog when I screeched at Matt getting his head bashed in by Shelby.  I agree with the posters above who said that if some crazy Deliverance type folks, along with murderous ghosts, are after me, I'm hauling ass.  I'm not a runner or even a jogger but if someone is chasing after me with a bloody kitchen utensil, I would have no problem covering those 5 miles to town in no time.

Very surprised that Sydney was killed this early on.  I will miss the pretty.

Dominick is a bad ass so I'm guessing he will make it until the end but not survive.  My money (today, at least) is on Real Shelby to be the one to live since she's clearly whackadoo.  And if she does survive, my guess is that the film footage will be discovered at the end with her either wiping everyone else out or just walking off into the woods.

Can't wait for next week's show!

• Love 3

Wow, I have to say, this is my favorite season since Murder House! I can't wait to see how this all ends.

Anybody get a good look at the real Butcher's face before she cleaved Kathy? I was wondering who was playing her.

Matt in the trance creeped me out the most.

• Love 1