Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions Thread

potatoradio
Message added by Lady Calypso

Let's bring the discussion back to Unpopular Opinions about the show.  

• Start Topic

I think once she forgot the T-shirt she was looking for something that was a special memory of Jack.  The necklaces would have been perfect as something old, but they had special meaning for Kevin and her mom, not for her. It wasn’t really about the “old” but about something specific to her relationship with Jack; hence the ice cream.  BTW, I completely judge him for banana pudding ice cream being his favorite.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

Me too. It's not like she moved in with Miguel immediately after Jack's death to have a place to stay and never left.  I feel like they were friends that lost touch and then after Rebecca got onto Facebook, they reconnected and it became more.  We had an episode full of Deja, I've been wanting an episode with Miguel.  C'mon writers, how much longer do I have to wait?  

Yeah I've been waiting for the Becca-Miguel hookup flashback.  Im sure it'll come.  Especially the big 3 induvidual reactions 

I'll rank my order of pissed off- from worst to least

1.  Kevin

2.  Kate

3. Randall

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Kirkydee said:

Yeah I've been waiting for the Becca-Miguel hookup flashback.  Im sure it'll come.  Especially the big 3 induvidual reactions 

I'll rank my order of pissed off- from worst to least

1.  Kevin

2.  Kate

3. Randall

I  think Kate will be more pissed.  At least initially.  Kate idolized Jack.  To the point she wanted to marry him.  Yeah I know creepy.  In her mind she would probably think how can Rebecca choose another man over saint Jack?

• Love 2

After the first season, which had its flaws but ultimately worked, I found this second season quite subpar.

I agree with the posters who say we need to ditch Jack. Only with ditching the past can there characters convincingly move forward. As that's not likely to happen, I hope at least that the next flashbacks will only serve to shed lights on some aspects, but without the kind of regression of characters we had this season.

Keeping on with the unpopular opinions, not only am I tired of Jack, I'm also tired of Randall and Deja. I wish we'd seen more of Randall's kids and Beth instead of Deja. I only like Toby is (the) small(est) dose, but I'd like for his parents to be included more in the story.

And the flash forwards into the deep? no, just no. Very cheap trick, makes me think the show runners knew this season was a lemon.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, NutMeg said:

After the first season, which had its flaws but ultimately worked, I found this second season quite subpar.

I agree with the posters who say we need to ditch Jack. Only with ditching the past can there characters convincingly move forward. As that's not likely to happen, I hope at least that the next flashbacks will only serve to shed lights on some aspects, but without the kind of regression of characters we had this season.

Keeping on with the unpopular opinions, not only am I tired of Jack, I'm also tired of Randall and Deja. I wish we'd seen more of Randall's kids and Beth instead of Deja. I only like Toby is (the) small(est) dose, but I'd like for his parents to be included more in the story.

And the flash forwards into the deep? no, just no. Very cheap trick, makes me think the show runners knew this season was a lemon.

I agree except I'm fine with Randall and Deja.  I think this season was nowhere near as good as the first.

59 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I feel like the flash forward was just a way to introduce new mysteries.  A lot of people were only hanging in to find out how Jack died.  Now some of those people can hang in for a third season to see who 'she' is and what Kevin's going to Vietnam for. 

Yes, and to find out how Toby got into a world of hurt so fast. 

On 3/18/2018 at 8:18 AM, debraran said:

I agree, I remember a lame interview saying they would "redeem" Miguel slowly, didn't want to upset the fans. Please, I don't think having Rebecca enjoy the company of another man is hurting the memory of the saint that graced their lives.

You do realize that he is SAINT JACK, the fatherest father who ever fathered and the husbandest hubby who ever husbanded.  Right?

But I agree wholeheartedly.  I find it funny that the writers assume they need to "redeem" Miguel for us when in my opinion, Miguel is the saint for putting up with this lot for the better part of 20 years.  Plus, they've been portraying him so far as a piece of cardboard so no redemption needed here, thanks.

On 3/16/2018 at 3:19 PM, Trillium said:

I’m actually surprised that at the pretentious ice creamery that Kate didn’t Pearson the hipster employee into making whatever ice cream she was looking for with a long winded speech about her perfect dead father. I mean that’s what Jack would have done. So growth for Kate I guess? 

Can I just say how much I adore the use of "Pearson" as a verb?

On 3/21/2018 at 4:44 PM, Pallas said:

And he likes neither chocolate nor grape. No saint he. 

Right, and what a weird combo of flavors to not like.  When I first watched this scene, I was like - what snack is both chocolate and grape flavored?  Then I realized he meant it as two separate flavors.  I mean, I can see "no lime or pineapple" or something like that.  But chocolate and grape?  That's just wrong.  And no lie, it took me right out of the scene.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

But chocolate and grape?  That's just wrong.  And no lie, it took me right out of the scene.

Me too. But on second thought: how much do you want to wager both antipathies are related to his combat service?  Or maybe one to combat ("Upcountry, I traded my ration cigarettes for chocolate") and one to his father ("Instead of milk, all we had to drink was...")?

• Love 3

My Big Fat Amazeballs Special Snowflake Princess Wedding…Oops. I mean, Dream of My Parents’s Wedding

Oh, my. Kate admits she’s weird. Shiver me timbers. Character development. Actually, Kate, you’re not weird. You’re an emotionally constipated, dime a dozen, daddy’s girl whose main emotional trauma (particularly becoming at the age of thirtysomething, may I add) is finding someone to replace daddy and ply you with compliments about how special and great you are. 

Most people are good with lighting a memorial candle at a wedding for the dearly departed, but you’re going to get all Bridezilla about wearing your dad’s old t-shirt under your lace dress? Oh, you Pearsons. You’re a special bunch of insufferable, aren’t you? Paging Madison, stat. Someone needs to talk Princess Katie Gurl off the memory ledge again. Wearing a sweat-stained old t-shirt (probably grease stained, too, from all that random car fixin’) under a custom made ivory gown? No, honey, that’s not weird. That’s deranged. Also,  a perfectly avoidable fashion felony. Madison did not haul you into an exclusive gown shop so you could embarrass yourself like this.

Oh! Miguel! He speaks! Way to go, Red Fighter #5. Rebecca is worried that she’ll do something wrong at Kate’s wedding. Like, wear a dress. Or smile. Or breathe. Or show up. Because she clearly should have died in the fire instead of St. Greasy. My kingdom for Miguel to say, “yeah, tough noogies for her, then. How about you and I go to that Secrets resort we always see advertised on the teevee? We can throw each other in the hottub in our formal wear and smile coyly when people ask us how the fucking…excuse me…how the ‘vacation’ was. I could really use a ‘vacation,’ honey. “

Nope. Away they go to the big day. Sigh.

Kate dreams of her parents’ wedding/vow renewal. At first, I thought, holy shit, are the writers coming off their saccharine feelzies high and introducing a disturbing “I wanna marry my daddy” fantasy? This is NBC, writers, that shit needs to go to HBO, but god love ya for the sign of life. I seriously paused dusting for two secs to do a double take. False alarm. Just St. Greasy saying his Hallmark Card script with soft lighting that still manages to make me want to scrub my hands when I look at his hair. In case you missed it (and if you did, I want your secret), the Jack is PERFECT anvil has fallen. Again. Find your ibuprofen or other drug of choice.

So, anyway, poor old Tobebabe (you know, whatshisface, the groom?) is in the car with his parents and is about to throw himself through the windshield because he didn’t pack Greasy’s shirt along with the sexy underwear, cuff links, and serenity prayer (he’s not in AA, but he will need that serenity prayer to get through the rest of his life). Tobebabe…you have failed the mission of making Princess Kate Happy…you are a terrible, terrible, bad man. St. Greasy’s will fulminate hairballs from hell upon you for all eternity.

It’s mentioned at some point that Greasy’s urn is going to be…parked by the guest book? Did I fucking hear that correctly? If I showed up to a wedding and saw a goddamned urn by the guestbook, I’d say, ‘oh, I didn’t realize this was a renewal of St. Greasy’s funeral. My bad.’ Was it going to be wearing a Steelers jersey under a tux for god’s sake? Is Kate going to dance with it? I mean, sure, have your dream day, Princess, but shouldn't Tobebabe have a say in whether he wants a celebration or a Weekend at Bernie's reboot? 

Beth’s cousin is introduced. She seems normal. And pleasant. She has yet to spend time with the cult of Pearson, I guess. In a lesson in “how not to write dialogue,” Randall and Beth relay that Tater Tot’s mom has signed over all rights and said Tater Tot is now presumably a permanent member of the Pearson’s club of special but somehow, she’s changed for the worse. Huh. Whoda thunk it?  I can’t blame her for turning sullen and hating her life. Living in a car seems a small price to pay for avoiding the Pearsons, but Randall’s on a quest to be perfect like Greasy, so come on, Tater Tot, turn that frown upside down and play some music for your plants. It’ll drown out the Gilmore Girls redux that is the conversation between Beth and Randall, at least.

Tobebabe tells Kate to please not “runaway bride” him. I think, like Aqua Man, he’s secretly sending her telepathic messages that scream, in that special underwater way, “Run, damn it, because I can’t! I only get one heart attack per season!” His telepathy works. Sort of. As least, his parents heard his cry for help. They try to talk some sense into this guy. His parents seem like normal people, though I think we’re supposed to hate them. They tell him that life propping up a poopybutt like Princess Kate may not be the rose garden he’s been dreaming of. They say Kate seems a bit…imbalanced. Ya hear that, Kate? You were never even close to weird territory. Tobebabe gets all White Knight-y, though, and says he’s crazy in love with Kate Pearson (what’s not to love?) and his parents can just go blow and join that heavenly place called Pearson Free Zone. I'd take that deal, parents, but, unlike his future wife, you actually care about Tobebabe.

/Greek chorus-robotvoice/  "I am so moved by Toby’s love for Kate Pearson I can hardly stand it. His parents are bad. HE LOVES HER. It is so believable and earned"/end-chorus-robot-voice/

But, oh noes! Princess Kate has run away! Jinkies! Oh, no. For real. This poor, poor ice cream shop worker. Run, dude. You’re the designated “random stranger to be caught in a firehose of stinking Pearson soliloquy.” You see that guitar tuning up? That’s for you, buddy.

Princess Kate: “Do you….have…banana pudding ice cream?”

Me:  “Ew!”

Guitar: *sad chord*

Me: “Gahhh!!!!!!!!” *dusts table with vigor*

Unsuspecting Random Stranger: “No, but we have a lovely coconut banana gelato.”

Me: “Ew!”

Princess Kate: “Oh…it’s just that….my dad….” *lightning bolt/St. Greasy’s face appears in the freezer glass* ….well, it was our tradition...”

Guitar: *sad chord.* *sad chord* *warbly emo voice croaks out a Very Special version of Billy Ocean’s, ‘Get Outta My Dreams…Get Into My Car.’

Me: “Run, Mr. Ice Cream Man! Run!”

Kate: “It’s OK. Thank you.”

Me: *jaw drops. Duster drops, too*

Guitar: *abrupt minor cord* “Wait…what?”

It happened, folks. Little Katie Gurl had an Adulting Moment. I know. Take a breath. Take several. I can’t believe it, either. And lookee!!! There she goes with the urn! Wedding guests won’t be required to pick up a handful of ashes and recite their favorite memory of St. Greasy after all! What. Is. HAPPENING?!

Oh, well, lest we forget: Chrissy wants in on the Emmys, too. She tells the ground that she needs to make room for her HUSBAND by saying goodbye to her DAD, proving that Tobebabe’s parents aren’t exactly the clueless hateful ninnies they’re cracked up to be.

Chrissy and Mandy compete for an Emmy with a slobbering “no, you’re amazing” cryfest right before the wedding that’s somehow supposed to resolve the years of “wrong parent burned up” hostility.

Kevin makes the toast all about him and his glass of CLUB SODA, thank you. Because Justin, too, wants an Emmy. Damn weddings and their Emmy-audition toasts. Randall says a line about the people you’re with making your future and I actually kind of like that line. Two seasons of show and I’ve appreciated one line. That’s a real winning feelz ratio.

But, dum dum DUM…despite Princess Kate’s baby step toward adulting, fair is foul and foul is fair in the world of flash forwards. Turns out Tobebabe’s parents were right – Tobebabe is miserable and hiding under the covers despite his love for the amazing Kate Pearson. Oh, Tobebabe. We tried to warn you. Kevin is going to Vietnam with Beth’s cousin because…he’s lost his necklace again and is going to Saigon to find it this time? Will he take a nip of the complimentary booze on his way over? Yeah, I don’t care, either.

Meanwhile, in the present....Deja is having none of this wedding without banana pudding ice cream. Despite Beth’s cousin trying to get her to see the folly of young disillusionment, Deja is indeed having a bad hair day. She finds a…crowbar? Jack’s old baseball bat (oh, wait…there ‘s the ‘old’! Clever, clever, writers)? I don’t know, but she finds a weapon of destruction somewhere and…well, I don’t know if St. Greasy sees this, but I see her smashing a car. Uh oh. St. Greasy isn’t here to pop the hood and fix that, Deja. Oh, well, it gives the guitar an excuse to resume the sadz version of “She Bop.” Yo, Rocky! She’s going to kill everyone to death if you don’t fly down and earn your wings by making her see that being a member of the Pearson Cult isn’t a fate worse than…well, good luck.

And…that’s the season finale, folks. That means one thing: we’re free for the WHOLE SUMMER from emo guitar slop, Very Special Lessons in Love, yuk-yuk sessions with the non-Pearsons at a cantina bar near you, greasy locks of Mr. Perfect, Randall’s juices, Kate’s sulking, Kevin’s attention seeking, Rebecca’s life of shame for daring to open her eyes and the non-existent Red Fighter #5. Jack rules; Rebecca drools. Be kind to all the random strangers you meet in your life, please, and unplug your Crock Pots. I’d better see all of you unpopular snarks back here next season.

Be cool but don’t freeze. 

I'm gonna miss you guys! 

• Love 9
16 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

How much do you bet that teen Kate throws this up to Rebecca at some point ?  I'm expecting it. 

And Rebecca responds "It's okay baby because I am hated mother, not Saint Jack, that tried to feed you cantaloupe that one time, I deserved to be hated...so go ahead doodle bug."

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, qtpye said:

And Rebecca responds "It's okay baby because I am hated mother, not Saint Jack that tried to feed you cantaloupe that one time, I deserved to be hated...so go ahead doodle bug."

Yes, has to be Bug, she even called her that at least twice in the wedding episode. 

• Love 1

I did kind of laugh when Rebecca goes in to speak with Kate and she has to apologize for breathing, because you know how Kate is when she's in "daddy mode" and the hint of her mother in her breathing space just sends her into spasms.  lol  But, then to have Kate respond so warmly and give her mom a huge compliment about how she leads the way or something like that.  It was very charming and touching, but, sounded nothing like the Katie I have grown to know.  

• Love 2

Bravo, @potatoradio!  I still haven't watched this episode and now I don't need to !  Hurray!

But I have questions, because sometimes this show is so overwrought, I honestly can't tell whether or not your recaps are true to the show or full of delightfully Pearsonesque snark.

So:

1. Was Kate really going to wear Jack's t-shirt under her dress?  I mean, like, really?  Aside from the "ick" factor...exactly how would this work?  And I don't mean only her size relative to Jack's, but was she going to cut out the neck or something?  Or just fold it and tuck it into her bra?  How does a men's size smedium t-shirt fit under a larger-sized wedding dress?  This is just so bizarre I can't formulate how this would work.  It's like saying that Kate was going to wear a teapot under her veil.  Real or snark?

2. No way was the urn going to be sitting by the guest book.  I mean, again - bizarre in the extreme, but to set a bowl of ashes next to an area where people are gathering and writing and stuff...this seems like a recipe for said urn to take a tumble to the floor.  Did the other Pearsons look at Kate like she had three eyes or were they all, "but of course the urn will be prominently displayed in a location that is both a safety hazard and suited to maximize the uncomfortableness of each and every guest."  COME ON.  This has gotta be snark.

3. What is with these writers and their weird flavor/food fixations?  If it's not Rebecca throwing a massive hissy over one particular brand of onion, or Jack not liking grape-flavored chocolate...now we need to know that banana-pudding ice cream is a thing?  I mean, why not "banana-split" ice cream?  Or just "banana" ice cream?  Those are unique enough to be believeable, but no...the specialest, meaningfulest ice cream has to be something that I highly doubt is carried by most ice cream parlors.  Was this the same ice cream parlor that Jack and Kate frequented on their secret daddy-daughter dates?  If so, I can understand why Kate thinks that "their" flavor should be carried for all eternity in memory of St. Jack.  But come on.  And did Jack's face really appear in the reflection of the ice cream counter?  Real or snark?

Actually, playing "Real or Snark" is way more fun than having to watch this show.  This might become a thing.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

1. Was Kate really going to wear Jack's t-shirt under her dress?  I mean, like, really?  Aside from the "ick" factor...exactly how would this work?  And I don't mean only her size relative to Jack's, but was she going to cut out the neck or something?  Or just fold it and tuck it into her bra?  How does a men's size smedium t-shirt fit under a larger-sized wedding dress?  This is just so bizarre I can't formulate how this would work.  It's like saying that Kate was going to wear a teapot under her veil.  Real or snark?

The sartorial logistics were never really explained. I remember an episode of 'Say Yes to the Dress' (don't judge) where a bride brought along a hair ribbon from her recently deceased little sister and asked them to work it into the lining. I thought that rather poignant and I couldn't fathom why Kate had not gone down that route even if it meant destroying the t-shirt because not the whole thing was necessary. But of course then we would not have had all the t-shirt related drama.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I wondered what makes it 'banana pudding' flavored and figured it may have some vanilla wafer flavor or bits added.  Wasn't that a thing... banana pudding served with vanilla wafers on top?  

Yes, it's still a thing in southern states I think.  I had some at a restaurant in Texas last year and saw it on menus at other places.  I imagine Katy Girl's ice cream would have bits of wafer or shortbread crust and banana chunks.  They make all these kinds of concoctions with frozen custard at Culver's, too, and I'm sure many places. 

• Love 2
On 3/27/2018 at 9:09 AM, laurakaye said:

Bravo, @potatoradio!  I still haven't watched this episode and now I don't need to !  Hurray!

But I have questions, because sometimes this show is so overwrought, I honestly can't tell whether or not your recaps are true to the show or full of delightfully Pearsonesque snark.

So:

2. No way was the urn going to be sitting by the guest book.  I mean, again - bizarre in the extreme, but to set a bowl of ashes next to an area where people are gathering and writing and stuff...this seems like a recipe for said urn to take a tumble to the floor.  Did the other Pearsons look at Kate like she had three eyes or were they all, "but of course the urn will be prominently displayed in a location that is both a safety hazard and suited to maximize the uncomfortableness of each and every guest."  COME ON.  This has gotta be snark.

3. What is with these writers and their weird flavor/food fixations?  If it's not Rebecca throwing a massive hissy over one particular brand of onion, or Jack not liking grape-flavored chocolate...now we need to know that banana-pudding ice cream is a thing?  I mean, why not "banana-split" ice cream?  Or just "banana" ice cream?  Those are unique enough to be believeable, but no...the specialest, meaningfulest ice cream has to be something that I highly doubt is carried by most ice cream parlors.  Was this the same ice cream parlor that Jack and Kate frequented on their secret daddy-daughter dates?  If so, I can understand why Kate thinks that "their" flavor should be carried for all eternity in memory of St. Jack.  But come on.  And did Jack's face really appear in the reflection of the ice cream counter?  Real or snark?

Actually, playing "Real or Snark" is way more fun than having to watch this show.  This might become a thing.

O'rly? You think you can escape your last kick in the feelz for the season? You march yourself over to your couch and FEEL THE FEELZ, young lady. And don't even think about cheating by scanning your phone or doing housework or watching paint dry or picking your toes. You're only cheating yourself. As extra credit, please prepare a report on the roundtable/circlejerk that is the producers/actors feeling all up over themselves about how they all gave major mcfeely* performances. 

But I'll give you the cheatsheet anyway because I want you to be prepared for your water cooler encounters:

1. I'm pretty sure that was the plan. I think she said, "I know it's weird that I'm wearing dad's t-shirt." I may be mistaken. Maybe she was going to step into the sleeves and wear it as a super totes adobs one-sie? 

2. Did a total double take, but I'm pretty sure that yes, this was stated. Now, maybe Katie Gurl, in addition to showing a flash of adulting, was also showing a bit of sarcasm, but that would be waaaaaay too complex to give a character on this show TWO new aspects to their personality. 

3. Oh, no, I made up the Jack in the freezer glass. The reality was boring, that's why. Standard rapid fire flashbacks of daddy dates. But...the banana pudding ice cream is all too real and just as stupid sounding on the teevee as it is in print. But then, I never liked Jello Pudding Pops because their texture was weird to me. 

*In no way did I mean to imply that the kindly mailman from Fred Roger's neighborhood has been Pearsoned (and, yeah, kudos to the poster who verbed that name...I can't find it to quote it, but dang I laughed my arse off). 

• Love 4
On 3/27/2018 at 4:09 PM, laurakaye said:

All ready to play "Real or Snark" next season...

2 hours ago, potatoradio said:

O'rly? You think you can escape your last kick in the feelz for the season? You march yourself over to your couch and FEEL THE FEELZ, young lady. And don't even think about cheating by scanning your phone or doing housework or watching paint dry or picking your toes. You're only cheating yourself. As extra credit, please prepare a report on the roundtable/circlejerk that is the producers/actors feeling all up over themselves about how they all gave major mcfeely* performances. 

But I'll give you the cheatsheet anyway because I want you to be prepared for your water cooler encounters:

1. I'm pretty sure that was the plan. I think she said, "I know it's weird that I'm wearing dad's t-shirt." I may be mistaken. Maybe she was going to step into the sleeves and wear it as a super totes adobs one-sie? 

2. Did a total double take, but I'm pretty sure that yes, this was stated. Now, maybe Katie Gurl, in addition to showing a flash of adulting, was also showing a bit of sarcasm, but that would be waaaaaay too complex to give a character on this show TWO new aspects to their personality. 

3. Oh, no, I made up the Jack in the freezer glass. The reality was boring, that's why. Standard rapid fire flashbacks of daddy dates. But...the banana pudding ice cream is all too real and just as stupid sounding on the teevee as it is in print. But then, I never liked Jello Pudding Pops because their texture was weird to me. 

*In no way did I mean to imply that the kindly mailman from Fred Roger's neighborhood has been Pearsoned (and, yeah, kudos to the poster who verbed that name...I can't find it to quote it, but dang I laughed my arse off). 

... but that means you, @potatoradio (and I'm sorry, was going to write "potatosnark" just this once, but the forced menu brought me back on track) NEED to provide the snark, which means you have to keep watching. Do you think you can? I know it's a tough task to ask...

And yes, that Real or Snark game would be so awesome!!!!!!!!

• Love 3
On 3/27/2018 at 10:56 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I wondered what makes it 'banana pudding' flavored and figured it may have some vanilla wafer flavor or bits added.  Wasn't that a thing... banana pudding served with vanilla wafers on top?  

I think she really did say she planned to wear the old t-shirt under her dress.  Maybe they wrote that before they saw the dress and the low bodice?  But with any dress, it made no sense.  LOL at a teapot under her veil.  

I think the 'Jack's face in the glass' thing was snark.  The rest, I'm not sure about.  She could've had a flower girl scattering Jack's ashes down the aisle in front of her, for as closely as I watched.  

Now that's an idea I bet their writers overlooked.  And a great idea it is too!  OMG.  RE-WRITE please.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Now that's an idea I bet their writers overlooked.  And a great idea it is too!  OMG.  RE-WRITE please.  

And while they're at it, change the bridal bouquet to, instead of one of Daddy Jack's tools (for something old and reminder of St. Jack all in one), a banana bouquet.  A bunch of bananas and flowers, what a lovely idea!

On 3/29/2018 at 3:05 PM, potatoradio said:

Does it count that I tried?  Because I really did.  And I loves me some extra credit, always have.  But I couldn't do it.

I still haven't watched the episode, but I did start to watch the Very Special Season Two Post-Wedding Aftershow of Magical Feels and Mutual Admiration.  I clicked on the link (the one I found was a 30-minute lovefest, with the cast appearing onstage in front of an audience), grabbed my pen and paper, and settled in to take notes.  I kid you not, I wanted that damned extra credit.  The host slowly and dramatically announced the cast one by one.  Each actor slowly and dramatically walked across the stage to applause and hoots and cheers.  Then the host announced the head writer girl and guy (or producers or whatever) and informed the audience that those two had been selected to be next season's show-runners - the implication being, more astounding and subtle character development and Pearsoning yet to come!  This produced a huge round of applause from all.  That's when I realized that my sock drawer needed reorganizing and I turned it off.  I made it through four minutes.  For that, I'll take a D+.  That's a passing grade, right?

• Love 2
On 3/14/2018 at 10:59 AM, CleoCaesar said:

(Who am I kidding, I'll never be interested in a Deja storyline.)

This is only the second season of this show, thus (to me) there's no reason that the writers had to Cousin Oliver it already.  It seems to me there are plenty of stories left to tell without adding a new character and spending so.much.freaking.time on her.  Tess and Annie seem to be afterthoughts in Randall's life, and I am not a fan of that.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:55 AM, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I hated Kevin's toast at Kate and Toby's wedding. 

There's a lot of Miguel hate on these boards, but I have never understood that and I felt really bad for him this episode.  First, Rebecca basically blew him off when he mentioned he'd like to dress so he looked like a tree and no one would notice him (sad), and second during that whole toast.  I'd rather see some stories about him than Deja - we've known him since the beginning.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

This is only the second season of this show, thus (to me) there's no reason that the writers had to Cousin Oliver it already.  It seems to me there are plenty of stories left to tell without adding a new character and spending so.much.freaking.time on her.  Tess and Annie seem to be afterthoughts in Randall's life, and I am not a fan of that.

There's a lot of Miguel hate on these boards, but I have never understood that and I felt really bad for him this episode.  First, Rebecca basically blew him off when he mentioned he'd like to dress so he looked like a tree and no one would notice him (sad), and second during that whole toast.  I'd rather see some stories about him than Deja - we've known him since the beginning.

Absolutely agree. Tess and Annie never really got much focus and at first that was fine with me. Lots of shows have characters with kids that aren't really the center of attention (Grey's Anatomy being the most extreme example.) But now that the show decided to tell a kid story it bothers me that it's not Tess or Annie but a new one. We don't even know that much about them yet. And it's not like there's no story to tell about them. At the very least Tess' hinted at issues deserved to be explored and not be completely brushed off like they did. So yeah I really don't know why I should care about Deja, when there are "old" characters that have barely been explored.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

But now that the show decided to tell a kid story it bothers me that it's not Tess or Annie but a new one. We don't even know that much about them yet. And it's not like there's no story to tell about them. At the very least Tess' hinted at issues deserved to be explored and not be completely brushed off like they did.

ITA! We actually know more about what Deja's freakin' science fair project than anything in either Tess' or Annie's lives.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

There's a lot of Miguel hate on these boards, but I have never understood that and I felt really bad for him this episode. 

I felt bad for a long time, but now I'm not...because I've decided that he's actually still Esposito from Castle. He's undercover as Miguel, so it doesn't matter what happens because it's all just acting. He's really Esposito, so he knows he's got tons of friends and a great life back in New York.

• Love 5

It's baa-aaack! Let the snark begin!
-The Pearson girls are stuck sharing a room again because of the revolving door at Chez Randall? Now Beth's cousin is staying with them. Um, ok. 
-I kind of wish she had just gone back to her mother and Randall and Beth stayed in her life as mentors if they wanted to keep the character. This adoption storyline feels so forced.
-Is it just me, or does Toby look weird? He did last season too, like overly made up. Yes, let's go off your psych meds right as you are about to embark on a stressful time. Good idea. Like others have mentioned in the episode thread, really no need to increase your count if you're doing IVF.  I actually went through IVF for PCOS and my husband had low count. I know this storyline is going to bug me.
-Kate. Bleh. Where do I begin? God she's irritating. Is she wearing extra padding around the middle?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ChromaKelly said:

-Kate. Bleh. Where do I begin? God she's irritating. Is she wearing extra padding around the middle?

Based on Chrissy's appearances at award shows and such, I don't think she's wearing padding on the show, that's just where most of her excess fat is concentrated.

• Love 4

I didn't like the show as much as I thought I would. The Deja segment with her sneaking out to get sneakers from a dad we never saw before or heard about. He seems to be doing okay and she could never get support? She knew where he was and it was just odd, very contrived and I hate feeling manipulated. I hope she gets the "Randall talk" about it later, she'll get angry but as a parent, new shoes from "connections" should be addressed even if the thought was kind.

Kate's weight is Chrissy's weight so I know the writers have to go around that. I thought the denial was real from what I hear about IVP but then the reversal was the TIU sucker punch. I still don't see a happy result from this, I see hormone crazy Kate and depressed Toby. He flushes his meds? He's not a moron, he had to know what would happen if he did it quickly like that, all the warnings. That isn't love, that is just stupid. When they showed him last seaon in bed unable to move, I thought that was with his meds, now it seems less dramatic.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, debraran said:

I didn't like the show as much as I thought I would. The Deja segment with her sneaking out to get sneakers from a dad we never saw before or heard about. He seems to be doing okay and she could never get support? She knew where he was and it was just odd, very contrived and I hate feeling manipulated. I hope she gets the "Randall talk" about it later, she'll get angry but as a parent, new shoes from "connections" should be addressed even if the thought was kind.

Kate's weight is Chrissy's weight so I know the writers have to go around that. I thought the denial was real from what I hear about IVP but then the reversal was the TIU sucker punch. I still don't see a happy result from this, I see hormone crazy Kate and depressed Toby. He flushes his meds? He's not a moron, he had to know what would happen if he did it quickly like that, all the warnings. That isn't love, that is just stupid. When they showed him last seaon in bed unable to move, I thought that was with his meds, now it seems less dramatic.

58 minutes ago, Lithogirl said:

I don’t understand why anyone would be friends with Kate. She’s so sour and self absorbed. She never stops talking about herself. 

I really have no idea why the hell Madison adores her so much. It’s lile the character exists to be a handmaiden to Kate, even though Kate has never been nice to her.

It was like when Kate was horrible to her mom and Rebecca said it was her job to take it...no. It’s not acceptable for your daughter to treat you badly while you wait around like a puppy dog for a crumb of affection.

This year I wish they would move away from the pregnancy story line and let the character evolve a little.

• Love 15
48 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I really have no idea why the hell Madison adores her so much. It’s lile the character exists to be a handmaiden to Kate, even though Kate has never been nice to her.

It was like when Kate was horrible to her mom and Rebecca said it was her job to take it...no. It’s not acceptable for your daughter to treat you badly while you wait around like a puppy dog for a crumb of affection.

This year I wish they would move away from the pregnancy story line and let the character evolve a little.

Yeah, let's just say that treating my mother the way Kate has treated Rebecca would not have elicited an "it's my job to take it" response. I'm thinking in particular of the way Kate treated her when Rebecca showed up to her singing gig.

And Kate treats Madison like shit. Madison is a little too perky for my taste, but really, what has Kate done for Madison to inspire that kind of loyalty? That was a lovely birthday brunch Madison put together for Kate; why?

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Yeah, let's just say that treating my mother the way Kate has treated Rebecca would not have elicited an "it's my job to take it" response. I'm thinking in particular of the way Kate treated her when Rebecca showed up to her singing gig.

And Kate treats Madison like shit. Madison is a little too perky for my taste, but really, what has Kate done for Madison to inspire that kind of loyalty? That was a lovely birthday brunch Madison put together for Kate; why?

Instead of being grateful, Kate ruined by her "I never get a break". It always seems like Kate has people catering to her, first her Father, Toby, and now Madison. Heck, I remember her wedding when her brothers ran ragged for her to have "the perfect day". Madison was her Maid of Honor and they barely know each other.

Seriously, what did Rebecca do to garner such a lifelong hatred from Kate? Oh yeah, she had the nerve to be attractive and would once in a while meekly chide her about her eating habits when she was a kid. Her doting father let Kate eat anything she wanted and took her out for ice cream daily...that obviously only lead to good things.

Your mother was right because no mother should be anyone's doormat or personal punching bag.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 6

I am absolutely gobsmacked by some of the internet interpretations of this show. I don't understand how anyone could come away from last night's episode thinking Franco Harris is Deja's father (or grandfather). Her father, who *they showed onscreen multiple times,* clearly was not Franco Harris, nor appeared related to Franco Harris in any way. I guess my unpopular opinion is that people need to stop overthinking the connections on this show.

• Love 11
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:07 PM, MaryPatShelby said:

This isn't really a cousin Oliver situation.  Firstly, because she's older than the kids they already have.  But, secondly, her addition makes sense in that an adoptee wants to pass that on and adopt someone else.  I'd rather see some of her story than spend more time on Kate whining.  Although, since a lot of Deja's story is Randall speechifying, it's kind of a wash.

53 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I am absolutely gobsmacked by some of the internet interpretations of this show. I don't understand how anyone could come away from last night's episode thinking Franco Harris is Deja's father (or grandfather). Her father, who *they showed onscreen multiple times,* clearly was not Franco Harris, nor appeared related to Franco Harris in any way. I guess my unpopular opinion is that people need to stop overthinking the connections on this show.

He was onscreen once when she was getting shoes from him.  We were just trying to figure out what the football player's family had to do with anything and seeing how the episode was a lot about Deja getting adopted, that's the only real connection we could make.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

He was onscreen once when she was getting shoes from him.  We were just trying to figure out what the football player's family had to do with anything and seeing how the episode was a lot about Deja getting adopted, that's the only real connection we could make.

Twice - they showed young Deja and her mom passing by the store earlier and the mom and clerk made Meaningful Eye Contact.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Count me among those who thought he was her father or grandfather and I will explain how. Firstly, I’d never heard of Franco Harris.  I am not a follower of the game Americans call football (I am a follower of what the rest of the world calls football, ⚽️.  But I digress....) so I had no idea until the end of the episode that this was an actual person. Even then, I wasn’t totally sure “his” story line was real until I read it on the boards.  Secondly, I have come to expect that any random person on the show has some connection to the Pearsons and that that connection will be revealed at the end of the episode.  That’s been this show’s “thing” since the “do you want a cigarette” in the very first episode. So I kept waiting for the connection and Deja’s father was the obvious one, especially since it wasn’t so obvious (if that makes any sense).   I guess, if you knew the story of Franco Harris, the whole thing was very clever, but for someone who didn’t know it, it came across as a real disappointment. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Trillian said:

Count me among those who thought he was her father or grandfather and I will explain how. Firstly, I’d never heard of Franco Harris.  I am not a follower of the game Americans call football (I am a follower of what the rest of the world calls football, ⚽️.  But I digress....) so I had no idea until the end of the episode that this was an actual person.

Plus, he played 40 years ago.  Before some of us were born and when some of us were little children.  Not too surprising that a lot of people had never heard of him. 

2 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Secondly, I have come to expect that any random person on the show has some connection to the Pearsons and that that connection will be revealed at the end of the episode.

Yep. Exactly.

• Love 6

I heard some coworkers talking about the show and the plot with Kate and Toby. There are coworkers who adopted, (in USA and out) and had IVP,  another had a daughter have triplets naturally, (although that's not relevant, just cool)  ; ) Someone said they wondered if the writers were going to kill Kate (I don't personally think so) or have her have a stroke or something like that, because their hands are tied with story lines. Her weight would make it hard to get pregnant, adopt and she seems to be mentally in need of therapy.  No one knows what the writers are thinking, but everyone knows the original idea was that she would lose weight for the show, then they said she didn't need a contract and they'd "go with whatever happened"

Does anyone agree with them that Kate might develop some ailment if things stay status quo.? Or do you think as I do, they will make it more Toby focused.

t

• Love 1

I'll post this here, since, I think most people love Jack.  I used to, but, in this last episode, Jack doesn't do much for me.  Being super frugal might be a good trait, but, if you can't afford a date, then, wait and save it or just meet for coffee.  Sharing how broke you are, just didn't appeal to me.  I thought that I had learned enough about Jack.  Do I really need to know more?  I agree with those above that I've just about had my fill. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'll post this here, since, I think most people love Jack.  I used to, but, in this last episode, Jack doesn't do much for me.  Being super frugal might be a good trait, but, if you can't afford a date, then, wait and save it or just meet for coffee.  Sharing how broke you are, just didn't appeal to me.  I thought that I had learned enough about Jack.  Do I really need to know more?  I agree with those above that I've just about had my fill. 

I'm OK with him trying to go to a carnival on $9. It would probably be like having $40 today.  I just didn't like his reaction with the umbrella.  He should have just said he didn't have enough money for the umbrella.  He just came off as surly.  then she could have bought her own umbrella. Or buy her the umbrella and forget about the games and just walk around talk.  If she wants to play a game have her pay for it.

• Love 2

I guess $9.00 might have bought more back then.  I just recall being a kid and teen.  As a child, I think I thought $20. was good and a teen $40.  We had pricey carnivals! lol  Plus, I loved to ride rides.  Not much on the games though. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Trillian said:

Count me among those who thought he was her father or grandfather and I will explain how. Firstly, I’d never heard of Franco Harris.  I am not a follower of the game Americans call football (I am a follower of what the rest of the world calls football, ⚽️.  But I digress....) so I had no idea until the end of the episode that this was an actual person. Even then, I wasn’t totally sure “his” story line was real until I read it on the boards.  Secondly, I have come to expect that any random person on the show has some connection to the Pearsons and that that connection will be revealed at the end of the episode.  That’s been this show’s “thing” since the “do you want a cigarette” in the very first episode. So I kept waiting for the connection and Deja’s father was the obvious one, especially since it wasn’t so obvious (if that makes any sense).   I guess, if you knew the story of Franco Harris, the whole thing was very clever, but for someone who didn’t know it, it came across as a real disappointment. 

Same. I was maybe 5 when that game played, and what I know about the Steelers in mostly in relation to them being the rival of the Baltimore Colts and Ravens. I didn't know the story at all. If the Franco Harris stuff had been limited to the game being on in the background, then I would have just thought it was about the life lesson or whatever. But showing his family and him getting ready and coming home, made me think there was going to be some sort of connection. 

• Love 2
On 9/26/2018 at 3:25 PM, ClareWalks said:

I agree with this, but the problem is the show tends to connect everything to each other.

BTW, I'm 58 and at one time did follow what "we Americans" call football.  I knew who he was, but I still wondered how Franco Harris was going to connect with the Pearsons.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

Hello, UO thread!  I missed you.  (looks around, wonders when I'm gonna get my @potatoradio recap)...........;)

Two things stood out to me this episode that IMO could have been handled so differently with better results:

Kate's party: Kate attends her birthday party and makes a wish.  She'd just gotten some bad news from her doctor, but rather than sit there and explain her entire story to every single guest (and honestly, how did she get those friends in the first place - she's such a wet blanket - but I digress), why couldn't she have excused herself, walked away, and maybe just told her sad story to Madison, who likely would have followed her to ask what was wrong?  It's this damn Pearson speechifying that bugs me so much - the tendency of these people to let EVERYONE within their vicinity know just how sad/upset/etc. they are right in the moment, rather than doing it in a more private and believable way.  Honestly, who could handle a friend like Kate?

And then Beth talking to Kevin about dating her cousin...just no.  Where does Beth get license to be so blatantly rude to her brother in law?  "My turn to talk.  Nope, still me.  ME.  STILL ME!"  I think this is supposed to make us think that Beth is such a cute lil' badass, but it just makes her come across as someone I would avoid at every family reunion.

This show really doesn't know how to write strong women.  I mean, they really suck at it.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I knew who he was, but I still wondered how Franco Harris was going to connect with the Pearsons

I watched the episode and I still don't know.

22 hours ago, Katy M said:

Sharing how broke you are, just didn't appeal to me.

I had a date tell me that he had nothing to offer anyone, that was our first and only date. I didn't care about his financial status as much as I cared about his lack of self esteem.

37 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

who could handle a friend like Kate?

She is exhausting.

• Love 4

Couple of other things:

I see there is a great kerfuffle being made over Franco Harris, football, Steelers, everything ties into the Pearsons and the universe, etc.  But when they showed footage of the actual football game, I would swear the announcer called that player "Michael Harris."  That confused me even more, because I was all, "Michael Harris?  Is that Franco's son?  Is Michael Harris Deja's father?  WTF?"  I mean, I am all for some good misdirection once in awhile, but this is like trying to solve a puzzle with several pieces missing.  It's not fun, it's confusing. 

And then there's the big misdirection at the end, where an older Randall and Tess are  - I think - going to see someone at a hospital, and Randall calls a clearly non-functioning Toby to come and join them.  Who are they visiting?  Kate?  If so, why would Tess not be "ready" to go and see her?  Is it Beth?  If so, why would Randall be calling Toby?  Is it Annie?  Again, why Toby?  So my feelings tend towards  "meh, whatever,"  because I'm getting accustomed to either a "make it up as you go along" storyline with this show, or a big ol' dangling red herring that ends up not meaning as much as we think it should (see also: little boy at adoption agency, the Crockpot Couple, Jack's brother).  I wonder if we will be told what this non-sequitur scene means by the end of this season, or will it become another beginning with no ending?

I think these types of misdirections could work if there weren't so many of them, as well as so many extraneous charcters that we have to weed through who is important, who we will be seeing again, and who we can discard.  Given that this show is about the Pearsons, and everything has to have "meaning," it's like cutting away vines in a jungle to find the clearing: the actual storyline.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

It's this damn Pearson speechifying that bugs me so much - the tendency of these people to let EVERYONE within their vicinity know just how sad/upset/etc. they are right in the moment, rather than doing it in a more private and believable way.  Honestly, who could handle a friend like Kate?

I think what happens with the Pearsons, is that they say exactly what is on their mind at that moment.  People don't say exactly what they are thinking, because it can be a lot, but they still think it.  

• Love 3
On 9/30/2018 at 7:24 PM, Diana Berry said:

I guess the Franco connection is the ' immaculate reception' the night of the Super Bowl and that's when Kate and Jack conceived the triplets? At least that's what the main thread thinks.

The Immaculate reception was not in the Super Bowl and was 7 years before the kids were conceived. 

• Love 3