Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions Thread

potatoradio
Message added by Lady Calypso

Let's bring the discussion back to Unpopular Opinions about the show.  

• Start Topic

I probably don’t watch the show enough to get too irritated by Jack, so it might be why I feel like if Rebecca is going to meet someone in heaven it should be Jack.  This whole show is based upon the greatness of Jack Pearson and unless something dramatic happens in the Miguel episode (and I like Miguel…he and Beth are the only characters I’ve consistently liked), it seems to me Jack is Rebecca’s great love.  I certainly think Rebecca loves Miguel but I feel as though the show has been a constantly revolving show on how Jack Pearson and his death have affected pretty much the entire family, so it make sense to me if she gets to heaven and maybe sees Miguel or even Kyle (although they barely mention him) but ultimately ends up with Jack.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

A lot of people are envisioning an ending where Rebecca meets people from This Is Us world in the afterlife, but to me that would be incredibly corny.  A newspaper TV critic once said that a major point of the show was that the definition of Us has expanded over time to encompass in-laws, children, birth parents, uncles, and so on, so my guess is that the finale will be about the next generation and its expanding circle.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

I don't really see any burning need to see more Annie.

Same, in a way.  Besides, we don’t know much about her.

5 hours ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

A lot of people are envisioning an ending where Rebecca meets people from This Is Us world in the afterlife, but to me that would be incredibly corny. 

I agree with that, but I'm worried that this is exactly what's going to happen, since this show has never shied away from corniness.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, debraran said:

Especially with an episode called The Train and William (Ron) saying he filmed with Jack (Milo) .....Sterling also said before this year started "The train tracks will be laid in the premier. And there will be a payoff.” Was that when she couldn't remember the book title?

While spending the day with Jack and Hailey, Rebecca remembers riding the train to work with her dad on occasion when she was a little girl. She recalls walking the length of the train with him, but the memory is marred when she can’t bring to mind the word “caboose.” She tries all day, but gets increasingly frustrated when the word just won’t come. At bedtime, Rebecca finally remembers the word “caboose.” She says it aloud a few times, sagging against Miguel in relief and sadness.

Randall also said ""And I'm filled with comfort, as I look around this room, knowing that all of you will be on this speeding train with me, slowing down for the occasional special stop. All the way till the very end."

Is she riding the caboose the whole time....they have to be very careful with this to not be really cheesy but what about the Pin the tail and chalk? Do you think that's still a thing or they'll forget about it. Rebecca doesn't seem to be very alert.

Oh my gosh. It's gonna be "Caboose" as her last word, a la

https://giphy.com/gifs/tcm-classic-film-40s-herman-j-mankiwiecz-YkzOmMYbOdLSvu56qK

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, debraran said:

Especially with an episode called The Train and William (Ron) saying he filmed with Jack (Milo) .

Actually Ron didn't say that he filmed with Milo, only that Milo came to see him in his trailer the day Ron was on set. They were both working that day.

• Love 2

Ok, I don't know where else to put this,  is anyone else getting constantly redirected to a McCormick spice ad you can't get out of unless you exit this forum altogether?  It's only happening for this show,  but it's happened over and over for days.  I swear I will never buy another McCormick spice it is so obnoxious...probably not what they or they or the owners of this site were going for.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

Ok, I don't know where else to put this,  is anyone else getting constantly redirected to a McCormick spice ad you can't get out of unless you exit this forum altogether?  It's only happening for this show,  but it's happened over and over for days.  I swear I will never buy another McCormick spice it is so obnoxious...probably not what they or they or the owners of this site were going for.

Maybe report it in the Bugs, Questions and Suggestions thread under Site Business…

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, GeorgiaRai said:

I'm tired of the word "penultimate".  

I think its use is justified when we're talking about the second-to-last episode of a long running, beloved series like this. :)

But a few weeks ago all I was reading on entertainment news was how it was the last! ever! mid-season finale! EVARRRRRRRR of The Walking Dean. I kept thinking, that's a thing?

18 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

But a few weeks ago all I was reading on entertainment news was how it was the last! ever! mid-season finale! EVARRRRRRRR of The Walking Dean. I kept thinking, that's a thing?

Well, technically.  And then there will be (for example) the last ever 14th episode of a season, and 15th, etc, etc.

It applies, sure, but so overused in the TIU universe right now it borders on pretentious.  It's like they sent out a memo saying "this is how we shall refer to the next-to-last episode." Then again, maybe the problem is that I follow too much TIU content on Twitter.  lol

• Love 1

Referring to the second-to-last ep of a season/series as its penultimate is common enough that it's become a trope (beginning, I think, with The Sopranos). Audiences have come to anticipate that the big action scenes and/or shocking death will occur in the penultimate ep, rather than the final. 

I never thought Kevin was that great and still don’t . He was an asshole up through his 30s.  Adultery, treatment of Miguel, unreliable, inserting himself in Kate’s and Toby’s marriage.  Besides throwing some cash around to his family and taking care of his kids (which is what he’s supposed to do and doesn’t deserve a medal) I don’t under this great transformation Kevin supposedly had, although it was certainly more plausible than Kate’s “redemption”. Randall, I kinda lost interest in after the mother storyline, but again I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion.

I get Kevin’s not a raging asshole any more and he’s good-looking, but I just don’t think he had some grand transformation into this great man that finally deserves Sophie (not that she’s that great either 😂) Kevin just seems to epitomize basic mediocrity getting rewarded with good luck and chance after chance.  Maybe I missed something huge in the episodes I didn’t watch 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I never thought Kevin was that great and still don’t . He was an asshole up through his 30s.  Adultery, treatment of Miguel, unreliable, inserting himself in Kate’s and Toby’s marriage.  Besides throwing some cash around to his family and taking care of his kids (which is what he’s supposed to do and doesn’t deserve a medal) I don’t under this great transformation Kevin supposedly had, although it was certainly more plausible than Kate’s “redemption”. Randall, I kinda lost interest in after the mother storyline, but again I don’t think that’s an unpopular opinion.

I get Kevin’s not a raging asshole any more and he’s good-looking, but I just don’t think he had some grand transformation into this great man that finally deserves Sophie (not that she’s that great either 😂) Kevin just seems to epitomize basic mediocrity getting rewarded with good luck and chance after chance.  Maybe I missed something huge in the episodes I didn’t watch 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

They did write Kevin as a jerk and I didn't appreciate they had him with "girl of the week" at his age but I guess they wanted to show no one would do but Sophie. (whom he never called back being a jerk) His best moments for me were when  he found Nicky and even when the others didn't want to think St Jack hid a brother from them, he took him in and helped him, even if clumsy at first. Their bond will always be strong and in that way, I felt he was a mature, caring man and even if he regressed a bit later, that will be my favorite part.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, debraran said:

They did write Kevin as a jerk and I didn't appreciate they had him with "girl of the week" at his age but I guess they wanted to show no one would do but Sophie. (whom he never called back being a jerk) His best moments for me were when  he found Nicky and even when the others didn't want to think St Jack hid a brother from them, he took him in and helped him, even if clumsy at first. Their bond will always be strong and in that way, I felt he was a mature, caring man and even if he regressed a bit later, that will be my favorite part.

I guess that’s part of my problem besides the Nicky part and maybe when he helped Randall during a panic attack, he didn’t seem that caring or at least not unusually so for someone in his situation. He stays with his sister in the midst of her having major marital problems, when he could clearly afford to live anywhere else.  He randomly hooks up and just sort of stumbles through life, which is fine, plenty of people do it, but I don’t get why everyone would think he was this amazing person at the end. I mean he just seemed to be doing normal stuff even almost minimal for a man of his means.  I don’t think Kevin was ever evil or anything but he seems to get applauded for doing what you’re supposed to do IMO.

The only time I seem to like the character is when I compare him to Kate, which is odd since I like the actor, although his personal life seems a bit messy, but I’ve liked him in other roles.  I guess the way he’s written I don’t think, “Wow! What a great guy!” Instead I think, “Wow! 50 years to be ok.” Now there’s nothing wrong with that transformation in and unto itself, but I feel like people really think this dude did something or that’s what we’re supposed to think and I’m not sure why.  It’s not that he didn’t do anything, it just doesn’t seem to warrant any great admiration. 

• Love 1
(edited)
59 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

I guess that’s part of my problem besides the Nicky part and maybe when he helped Randall during a panic attack, he didn’t seem that caring or at least not unusually so for someone in his situation. He stays with his sister in the midst of her having major marital problems, when he could clearly afford to live anywhere else.  He randomly hooks up and just sort of stumbles through life, which is fine, plenty of people do it, but I don’t get why everyone would think he was this amazing person at the end. I mean he just seemed to be doing normal stuff even almost minimal for a man of his means.  I don’t think Kevin was ever evil or anything but he seems to get applauded for doing what you’re supposed to do IMO.

The only time I seem to like the character is when I compare him to Kate, which is odd since I like the actor, although his personal life seems a bit messy, but I’ve liked him in other roles.  I guess the way he’s written I don’t think, “Wow! What a great guy!” Instead I think, “Wow! 50 years to be ok.” Now there’s nothing wrong with that transformation in and unto itself, but I feel like people really think this dude did something or that’s what we’re supposed to think and I’m not sure why.  It’s not that he didn’t do anything, it just doesn’t seem to warrant any great admiration. 

That's true. I think more therapy if good would have helped him. That said we had the disaster of him trying to tell his siblings about his feelings and getting shut down big time at therapy. Rebecca saying Randall was "easier" and how Kevin didn't want her to hold him, blah, blah and then he ventured into saying things about his dad and that did him in. I do remember an apology sometime later from mom and Randall (Kate?) but still. In some ways he wasn't allowed to grow but he could have done more on his own with self growth. Nicky also was very honest with him with Madison too which was good. He knew he wasn't marrying her for the right reasons. Same with Cassidy. If they didn't have to wait for Alexandra I think we would have seen things happen faster with him, but yes his evolution was slow.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1