Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions Thread

potatoradio
Message added by Lady Calypso

Let's bring the discussion back to Unpopular Opinions about the show.  

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

You mean Justin, the actor?

I liked him with Zoe (who I think is so gorgeous) but I also like that she stuck to her guns about kids - they’re good people who loved each other but are ultimately incompatible. Doesn’t mean their relationship wasn’t meaningful, it just didn’t work. Sophie and Kevin’s Greatest Love of All has run its course* and I never saw chemistry with Madison though I do think they could be good co-parents.

*My other UO is that the show leans too hard into the One Great Love trope.

Absolutely agree especially with the true love thing.  I get impatient with that no matter where it crops up.  In Kevin's case, he might be a serial monogamist.  Lots of people are.

35 minutes ago, debraran said:

What do you think will happen when Sophie or Kevin call the other one? She seemed to be in a jam or needing to reach out to her 30 year old friend. TIU does nothing without a reason. Dan joked maybe she will tell him about a great data plan and then said you know he can't talk about it.

I'm guessing they will see each other again.  She has something to say to him.  There is that grandmother's ring.  It will not be dropped.  Since we see him with a ring in the flashforward to Rebecca's death, if he's married, it doesn't have to be either Sophie or Madison.  It would be smart to have it be neither. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

Absolutely agree especially with the true love thing.  I get impatient with that no matter where it crops up.  In Kevin's case, he might be a serial monogamist.  Lots of people are.

There's a scene in One Day at at Time (the excellent, now-cancelled reboot) where Penelope, who is divorced, says she might not have a Great Love - "maybe I'll have many." And then, when they put her back with a guy she was in love with (they initially broke up because she has two teenagers and doesn't want more kids, and he had no kids and wanted to have them), they have an untraditional relationship - she tells him she never wants to marry again and he tells her that he likes his job that takes him away for a few months at a time and plans to continue doing it. She's like "Great!" and that's how they're together. Not everything has to be happily ever after, marriage and kids.

That's why I don't mind the idea of Kate and Toby divorcing, which seems to be another UO. It's sad, of course (my parents split when I was 15, it was a tough time), but statistically, somebody in that family was going to end up divorced. Just because you get divorced doesn't mean you're a failure.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Empress1 said:

My UO is that I don't care who Kevin ends up with. I read that the final season will spend a lot of time on that and that's disappointing to me. Maybe he could be single for a while? Focus on rebuilding his career and being a single father to twins?

Hollywood doesn't think happy single people exist.  Characters not partnered are either unhappy they aren't partnered or actively looking for someone to partner with.

19 hours ago, OlderThanDirt said:

I am not commenting on the actress herself. I'm just saying that given their casting decision,  the storyline has been unrealistic.  Putting her with Toby at Overeaters Anonymous and having her face hiring resistance in the first season made sense.

I can't remember the last time Kate's weight was even mentioned. Honestly they could recast with someone not obese and it wouldn't change the story. I don't think Kate's weight should be focus of every story but to ignore the reality that comes with being morbidly obese isn't realistic. 

• Love 6

I guess I'll chime in that I am not #TeamKatobyDivorce.  After everything they've been through it seems a pity.  No mention of marriage counseling to get them both really talking.  It appears a final straw will break a camel's back and then it's off to the divorce lawyers.  Unless one of them actually cheats, they should be working on their marriage.

I'm especially annoyed that Kate all of a sudden is doing the one true thing she's always really wanted, or some such words, being a part-time choir leader, and Toby wants to take that away from her.  As usual, Kate is selfish.  Toby needs a job.  Now.  To support his family of four.

I also don't see or feel the Philip and Kate attraction, let alone a love story there.

• Love 8
(edited)
52 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I guess I'll chime in that I am not #TeamKatobyDivorce.  After everything they've been through it seems a pity.  No mention of marriage counseling to get them both really talking.  It appears a final straw will break a camel's back and then it's off to the divorce lawyers.  Unless one of them actually cheats, they should be working on their marriage.

I'm especially annoyed that Kate all of a sudden is doing the one true thing she's always really wanted, or some such words, being a part-time choir leader, and Toby wants to take that away from her.  As usual, Kate is selfish.  Toby needs a job.  Now.  To support his family of four.

I also don't see or feel the Philip and Kate attraction, let alone a love story there.

I’m a little bit more annoyed that Kate is the best ever at what she does despite having no education or training in the field. There should at least be an initial learning curve. I know people train long and hard to work with special needs children and that is bit of a slap in the face.

Also, has Kate ever done something where a guy hasn’t fallen for her? Even at the fat camp, she was kicked out because she complained (rightly) that a guy was inappropriately hitting on her.

This has nothing to do with her weight. There is another show on NBC where every man falls for the main female character and it gets a little unbelievable, even though both she and Kate are attractive.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 10

Kate and Toby are in a good spot by the time the non-wedding of Kevin and Madison ends.  They were both willing to put the other first, that light bulb went off over Kate's head and she followed through.  Same for Toby's realization of what was more important.  Toby has recently been supportive of everything Kate wanted/needed:  going to finish her degree, adoption, facing down that abusive Marc, learning about her abortion.  I cannot fault him for not wanting to be a stay-at-home parent, it's not for everyone and he never contemplated doing it when they were having Jack and adopting Haley.  If he suddenly goes rogue and has an affair or something, it will seem out of character to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Of course Randall and Beth have three daughters.  Annie is the youngest.  She is very cute and seems sweet.  But as cute and sweet as she may be, I don't need or want to see more of her.  I feel she is shown with the family appropriately.  

And heaven forbid, a story line of her own.  There's a reason soap kids are routinely afflicted with RAS (Rapid Aging Syndrome).  Young kids are incredibly boring on adult shows.  I used to like it on soaps where the desperately distraught mom overacted for 11 months, and less than 10 seconds after being reunited with her kidnapped baby, gets a sly look on her face, turns to the kidnapped baby she hasn't seen in 11 months and says "I think I saw Nanny baking cookies in the kitchen and I heard she needs help decorating them... NOW SCOOT!!".  And with a gentle shove, off goes Junior who we don't see for another two years when he returns as a 16 year old.  

I'm okay with young kids being nothing more than props and vessels for the adult story lines on adult shows.  

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
to correct grammar
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

Of course Randall and Beth have three daughters.  Annie is the youngest.  She is very cute and seems sweet.  But as cute and sweet as she may be, I don't need or want to see more of her.  I feel she is shown with the family appropriately.  

And heaven forbid, a story line of her own.  There's a reason soap kids are routinely afflicted with RAS (Rapid Aging Syndrome).  Young kids are incredibly boring on adult shows.  I used to like it on soaps where the desperately distraught mom overacted for 11 months, and less than 10 seconds after being reunited with her kidnapped baby, gets a sly look on her face, turns to the kidnapped baby she hasn't seen in 11 months and says "I think I saw Nanny baking cookies in the kitchen and I heard she needs help decorating them... NOW SCOOT!!".  And with a gentle shove, off goes Junior who we don't see for another two years when he returns as a 16 year old.  

I'm okay with young kids being nothing more than props and vessels for the adult story lines on adult shows.  

Lol this reminds me of the old days on this very forum when the hot show was Parenthood.  The phrase "more Drew please," about one of the young kids on the show became sort of an endless mantra.  After a while,  I honestly have no idea whether it was because of internet Fandom gone amok, they gave Drew prominent storyline.  OMG, it was excruciatingly boring and wasted so much time canceling out better storytelling.  Maybe we should trust the showrunners to know what they are doing?

• Love 2
On 5/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, qtpye said:

I’m a little bit more annoyed that Kate is the best ever at what she does despite having no education or training in the field.

There was somewhat of a mention of that in the episode involving the class program, where PMJ says "That went over well", (and then snarks), "but of course no parent is going to boo their blind kid in the choir."

• Love 3

I think it is very odd the Saint and very Special Pearson's have so few friends.

Miguel was touchy for a very long time when a decade later after Jack he came back into Rebecca's life....there was Maddison for Kate, I guess.

Randall, in his lifelong angst had none other than Beth.

Even Kevin did not have a BFF except for Sophia.

Even the parties for Kevin and Maddison's wedding were family only.

Toby was looking forward to Kevin and Randall to be at his party and they bailed after an hour or so and he was left with the 3 nerdy friends he had flown into Vegas. But now Toby does have friends at work....

I have been watching old seasons...Jack and Rebecca's Huge Romance and Jack's Grand Gestures and the family, combined with making their kids think they were so incredibly special and destined for being GREAT is somewhat disturbing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I think it is very odd the Saint and very Special Pearson's have so few friends.

Miguel was touchy for a very long time when a decade later after Jack he came back into Rebecca's life....there was Maddison for Kate, I guess.

Randall, in his lifelong angst had none other than Beth.

Even Kevin did not have a BFF except for Sophia.

Even the parties for Kevin and Maddison's wedding were family only.

I think it’s fairly common for adults to have fewer friends as they age (there have been a lot of studies about loneliness in adults), and I don’t think it’s odd that Kate and Kevin in particular don’t have many friends. Kate was pushing people away in her teens and 20s and skipped college, which is where a lot of people make friends. She’s also deeply codependent with Kevin so I can see her making him the center of her life. She’s also … not that nice a lot of the time (I don’t like Madison but Kate spent a long time being an asshole to her, which Madison didn’t deserve).

Kevin is in an industry where true friends are hard to come by - he may have people around (at the very least he probably has an agent, manager, and lawyer) but no real friends. He was also living a pretty different life from his high school peers (skipped college, married at 18) so I can see how they’d drift apart.

I would expect to see Randall and Beth with old college friends and at least casual friendships with some of their kids’ friends’ parents though. I’d also expect to see the latter for Kate and Kevin as their kids get older. But it’s hard to make friends from scratch in your 30s and up.

• Love 7
(edited)

I loathe Toby & see through his manipulations to get what he wants from the beginning & compound that with his lie by omission act when things would require hard conversations so he doesn’t do the conversations but still does whatever he wants & shifts blame when called out. Loathe. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, pennben said:

I loathe Toby & see through his manipulations to get what he wants from the beginning & compound that with his lie by omission act when things would require hard conversations so he doesn’t do the conversations but still does whatever he wants & shifts blame when called out. Loathe. 

You are brave to type this post out.  I completely agree.  He's manipulative, overly sensitive, makes his issues Kate's, selfish, and he does not respect Kate.  Honestly on my last point, he has never respected Kate.  After finding out Kate had an abusive boyfriend as a young adult, I now know why she was attracted to him in the first place.  I'm not saying Toby is abusive, but he is toxic.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

You are brave to type this post out.  I completely agree.  He's manipulative, overly sensitive, makes his issues Kate's, selfish, and he does not respect Kate.  Honestly on my last point, he has never respected Kate.  After finding out Kate had an abusive boyfriend as a young adult, I now know why she was attracted to him in the first place.  I'm not saying Toby is abusive, but he is toxic.

Yup! I despised him from the start, and he doesn’t respect Kate at all. To be fair, I don’t like Kate either. But I really despise Toby.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm glad to see Toby's character getting some level of support, both in the threads here & on Instagram (which are the only places I follow comments about the show).  I don't think the show meant for that to happen, and as a Pearson/main character, I'm sure Kate will win over the majority of fans. But at least my opinion (that Toby is the bad guy) is just unpopular - not completely unheard of.

Edited by GeorgiaRai
  • Love 4

I know this sounds harsh, but I don't see a man who's only been with normal-sized/slender women suddenly being physically attracted to a morbidly obese woman. A larger woman with a curvy, hourglass shape, maybe, but not a morbidly obese woman shaped like Kate/Chrissy. Leaving personality completely out of it, sexual attraction is very important to a healthy relationship (unless both partners are asexual), and most men don't fall in love with people whom they don't find attractive. 

I could hand-wave it with Toby, since he was also obese when they met, but it requires too much suspension of disbelief that Philip would also be attracted to her.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 14

I am not sure if this is where to post this or even why it popped in my head.  

But I am wondering if they ever mention the brother they lost?    I don't remember his name but i know they were going to name them all a K name, but when Randall entered the picture they did not want to give him a K name.  

I  am not saying they should talk about it but or that they don't talk about it enough.  I just can't recall any acknowledgment,  after the first season, or maybe even the first few shows.    

I'm just curious of anyone can remember anything about it.  Maybe they have mentioned him, on their birthday, but i missed it.  

• Love 5
1 minute ago, mishap said:

I am not sure if this is where to post this or even why it popped in my head.  

But I am wondering if they ever mention the brother they lost?    I don't remember his name but i know they were going to name them all a K name, but when Randall entered the picture they did not want to give him a K name.  

I  am not saying they should talk about it but or that they don't talk about it enough.  I just can't recall any acknowledgment,  after the first season, or maybe even the first few shows.    

I'm just curious of anyone can remember anything about it.  Maybe they have mentioned him, on their birthday, but i missed it.  

They have never mentioned the stillborn baby Kyle since the first or second episode.

That Rebecca hasn't mentioned him is unnatural, imo.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, CdrJanny said:

They have never mentioned the stillborn baby Kyle since the first or second episode.

That Rebecca hasn't mentioned him is unnatural, imo.

I agree.   I would think he would at least deserve a mention, on their birthday .   Just to make it more realistic.   I think most parents would acknowledge a child they lost, in some way.  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I thought they had one episode in which she is sad on the kids’ birthday but is afraid to talk to Jack about it for fear of being seen as a downer.

Yes as a mom and mom of twins I can't fathom not having something to say, Kyle was here, he lived until he tangled on the cord (which was docs fault) but full term. I can't understand erasing him for Randall to come in so quickly.  If they showed her later seeing him or saying goodbye, having a service, taking a photo, something, but she felt him move for months, he was named, I know it's a TV show, but as emotional as TIU was, it fell flat with this one. Even if she didn't but "speech" Jack did. But he was just a vehicle to bring in Randall.

Rebecca should have been given time to mourn and Kevin and Kate weren't twins. I think Randall would have adapted better maybe if not brought up the same year as them, but then the whole "triplet" thing couldn't be. We don't mourn as Pearson's we just take home another baby. Maybe she'll see or say something when she dies, but I doubt it.

• Love 12

Rebecca told 7-year-old Randall about Kyle on the first season Halloween episode named Kyle; she spoke with Kate about Kyle in season 4, before Kate became pregnant and again after she miscarried. 

Edited by Pallas
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Pallas said:

Rebecca told 7-year-old Randall about Kyle on the first season Halloween episode named Kyle; she spoke with Kate about Kyle in season 4, before Kate became pregnant and again after she miscarried. 

Wasn’t that because a neighbor told him ?

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Funny that Jack and Rebecca didn't come up with a new "K" name for Randall, for instance, Kayden, Kaiden, Kai, Kingston, Kaleb.

IIRC, Rebecca honored William by picking Randall, the name of William’s favorite poet.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 3/28/2022 at 5:29 PM, Dreamboat Annie said:

Lol. I'm sitting in bed right now reading the forum and was literally just pondering how it seems like yesterday the kids were born, the new Big Three. Of course there's a 6 year time jump! But then remembered back to the my soap addiction in the 80s, early 90s when they'd age a child 16 years the next summer! Adam Chandler and Dixi's on All My Children and Bianca! More interesting! 

• Love 1
On 4/14/2022 at 5:16 PM, Crs97 said:

IIRC, Rebecca honored William by picking Randall, the name of William’s favorite poet.

And the K names that @CrystalBlue gave as examples are trendy now but wouldn’t have been trendy in 1980. Did Randall ever use his having a different kind of first name as part of why he felt isolated from Kate and Kevin?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

And the K names that @CrystalBlue gave as examples are trendy now but wouldn’t have been trendy in 1980. Did Randall ever use his having a different kind of first name as part of why he felt isolated from Kate and Kevin?

Weird names like that were definitely NOT a thing back then.  There were, like, five million Kate/Katherine/Kathleen (and with a "C" as well, though no Cates) in my class!  And Sarah.  And Jennifer.  Oh...Karen, as well.  Out of the five or so Karens, all but one was Asian.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Weird names like that were definitely NOT a thing back then.  There were, like, five million Kate/Katherine/Kathleen (and with a "C" as well, though no Cates) in my class!  And Sarah.  And Jennifer.  Oh...Karen, as well.  Out of the five or so Karens, all but one was Asian.

Since he is a boy,  he would have been more likely to be Ken or Keith rather than a 2022 name like Kai.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

Since he is a boy,  he would have been more likely to be Ken or Keith rather than a 2022 name like Kai.

And since kids often can't pronounce "th" until they're at least five or six, Randall would have called himself "Keef" or "Key" and that name would have stuck.  LOL

• Love 2

I'm not sure this is unpopular, maybe it is, but this feels like the best place to express it.  I'm pretty sure if you look way back in this thread, I've said it before, but here it is again: the folks on this show are not good storytellers.  They rely on gimmicks & flashes forward & backward & reveals (earned or not) & anything to not truly develop a satisfying storyline.

Honest to god, from about midway through S2? when Rebecca was absolutely being vilified for wanting to do a tour when the kids were teens & it freaking turned out that she was only going to be away from home for a few weeks???!!!  I was made insane!  From there, I'd catch maybe the first couple of the season, the last before winter break, and then the last couple of a season.  When I tell you that I entered S5 having missed a ton of episodes, but none of the reveals, because all they do is tease, I am not kidding.

I have slogged through this season thinking I should watch all episodes for completionist sake in this final season, this has been exhausting.  Without watching every episode before, I know everything about the story.  I wish I had stuck to prior strategy because this is absolutely the longest season of a show I've ever watched......it is exhausting and there are 4 freaking episodes to go.

These folks are good at manipulating, trying to create tension, payoffs, tidbits here & there, but they are not good storytellers if I know the whole story & I've missed maybeish a third of the episodes since season 2 before this & I have  caught up on all of the actual movement in the storylines throughout in the "previously ons", 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 6

@pennben Bravo! I totally agree with you.

Let's quantify it just a bit. This Is Us has been nominated for many Emmy Awards over the last five seasons, and has won several. I'm sure the show will be nominated for a few more Emmys for the season currently running. It's been nominated for Best Drama Series, for ALL six of the acting categories, for costumes, for casting, for hairstyling, for make-up and for its music. You know what it's NEVER been Emmy nominated for?

Writing. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Kai started becoming more popular in the early 80s as more people visited Hawai’i, so not a weird name but maybe uncommon for a family in Pittsburgh.  As far as the K names I always thought it was strange for the them to want to have the initials KKK associated with their children, so I never understood why Jack and Rebecca picked the original names anyway.  I mean they were going to be bonded as triplets did they all need K names on top of that?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Irate Panda said:

Kai started becoming more popular in the early 80s as more people visited Hawai’i, so not a weird name but maybe uncommon for a family in Pittsburgh.  As far as the K names I always thought it was strange for the them to want to have the initials KKK associated with their children, so I never understood why Jack and Rebecca picked the original names anyway.  I mean they were going to be bonded as triplets did never picked up they all need K names on top of that?

I never picked up on the KKK.  Thanks!🤔

10 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Kai started becoming more popular in the early 80s as more people visited Hawai’i, so not a weird name but maybe uncommon for a family in Pittsburgh.  As far as the K names I always thought it was strange for the them to want to have the initials KKK associated with their children, so I never understood why Jack and Rebecca picked the original names anyway.  I mean they were going to be bonded as triplets did they all need K names on top of that?

As far as using the same initial for all 3, that was pretty common for multiples back in that era.  It wasn't until the 90's some time that it became more common for twins and triplets to each have their own name with no relation to the other kids' names.  It was either initials or rhyming back in the day; hence I know twins named Kevin and Kelly, Carrie and Sherry and Dawn and Doreen.  

As far as the letter K, they probably decided on one name first and then tried to find others with the same initial that they could agree on.  Kevin and Kyle were not unusual at all in that era.  Kate didn't really become popular until the late 80's, early 90's, though.  I had a friend who had a daughter in 1982 and named her Kate and I remember some of us being surprised that they didn't name her Katherine or Kathleen and use Kate as a nickname.  Kate as the actual first name was not at all common back then.

• Useful 2
15 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

As far as the letter K, they probably decided on one name first and then tried to find others with the same initial that they could agree on.

It was because of Dr. K, the doctor that delivered the babies and for whatever reason seemed to suggest that they should adopt Randall.

17 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

It was either initials or rhyming back in the day; hence I know twins named Kevin and Kelly, Carrie and Sherry and Dawn and Doreen.  

I was born in the early '70s and only one set of twins I know has matching names--Michael and Michelle.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 4/16/2022 at 2:29 PM, PRgal said:

And since kids often can't pronounce "th" until they're at least five or six, Randall would have called himself "Keef" or "Key" and that name would have stuck.  LOL

This explains why every kid I ever babysat for called me Caffy😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I was born in the late 80s and twin coaches at my high school were Casey and Stacey. Then I dated a guy when I was 18 named Casey, and he had a twin brother Tracy. I also knew twins named Shannon and Shelby in high school. 

Edited by pinkandsparkly13
Typo
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

As far as using the same initial for all 3, that was pretty common for multiples back in that era.  It wasn't until the 90's some time that it became more common for twins and triplets to each have their own name with no relation to the other kids' names.  It was either initials or rhyming back in the day; hence I know twins named Kevin and Kelly, Carrie and Sherry and Dawn and Doreen.  

As far as the letter K, they probably decided on one name first and then tried to find others with the same initial that they could agree on.  Kevin and Kyle were not unusual at all in that era.  Kate didn't really become popular until the late 80's, early 90's, though.  I had a friend who had a daughter in 1982 and named her Kate and I remember some of us being surprised that they didn't name her Katherine or Kathleen and use Kate as a nickname.  Kate as the actual first name was not at all common back then.

There were three Katies (all Katherine/Catherines) and two Kathleens in my class along with the usual Jennifers- I think there were four.  There were also three Sarahs (I think).  We were all born in ‘79.  Keep in mind I went to a girls-only school so the numbers are a bit inflated.  

8 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I know of a mom whose B/G twins are Jericho and Jericha 🙄

When I read this, I thought of the episode of Friends, where Ross and a pregnant Rachel are discussing possible names for their baby. Ms. Buffay says, "If it's a girl, Phoebe and if it's a boy, Pheobo."

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 4/28/2022 at 11:24 AM, Katy M said:

It was because of Dr. K, the doctor that delivered the babies and for whatever reason seemed to suggest that they should adopt Randall.

I was born in the early '70s and only one set of twins I know has matching names--Michael and Michelle.  

Yeah.  That's probably why the Walsh kids on 90210 were Brandon and Brenda.  LOL.

• Useful 1
On 4/28/2022 at 11:06 AM, Rootbeer said:

Yup. I went to high-school with triplet girls, three girls, all C names.