Type keyword(s) to search

Hillary Rodham Clinton: 2016 Democratic Presidential Nominee

10 hours ago, film noire said:

That's what the pundits keep saying-- enthusiasm gap, etc --  but the latest ABC poll shows that 56 percent of Clinton voters say they are "for her"  "The latest ABC News survey reveals that, in fact, Clinton’s voters feel about as positively about their candidate as any candidate’s supporters have felt about their own preferred candidate since 1980. Trump voters are less enthusiastic about him: Since 1980, no group of supporters has been less affirmative in its support for its candidate.....President Obama won in 2008 and 2012 with at least 80 percent of his backers saying their support was mostly because they liked him. But that’s uncommon.

George H.W. Bush in 1988 and Bill Clinton in 1992 were elected when 56 percent and 57 percent respectively of their backers said they were voting for the candidate. And while 1980’s latest poll that asked this question was taken before Ronald Reagan beat Jimmy Carter in the two candidates’ only debate, only half of Reagan’s backers said they were voting mainly in support of their candidate."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/clinton-voters-arent-just-voting-against-trump/

I think the media (and hard core Hillary haters) have overlooked that many millions of  women (especially women of colour, and women over forty of every colour) feel no ambivalence about her candidacy at all. Nobody's holding their nose; they're raising their fists in joy. Not just because they're  voting for "a" woman, but because they're voting for this woman. 

I have to admit that I was "feelin' the Bern" for a while.  However, I started to inch over toward Secretary Clinton's side of the ledger--one toe at a time--when she endured 11 hours of a politically motivated televised witch hunt.  As an Independent, I always said that she would have to earn my vote.  I also have bitter memories of the campaign she and her team ran in 2008.

However, even my cold cynics heart grew when I saw the Democratic convention and I continued to be impressed by her after each debate.  So, yes--I'm with HER because she earned my vote.  

• Love 22
3 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Even if it comes out Hillary is a serial killer I would vote for her because I would rather have Tim Kaine as president than Trump or Pence.

Right? When the Trumpets were really pushing the Hillary's on death's doorstep thing, I was like well okay then, that means Kaine will be president. and that's bad how? Did they actually that dumb "story" was going to win Hillary supporters over to Trump?

• Love 12
6 hours ago, abstractstuff said:

You really think that the only reason why I feel a certain way is based on Trump's campaign bullshit? That is honestly more than insulting. Why on Earth did you get the impression that my fears came from that stuff? You think my brain can't handle getting information from source after source after source which is what is driving me crazy? Come on now. I can't help but to be concerned as to what is to come for our country. And is has nothing to do with Trump.. LIke I have said, several times.. He is not an option for me.. He will not be our president and I never thought he wouldbe . Your comment reminded me of triggering some random person that only chose to listen to 10 words, and 8 out of those 10 triggered you. 

What are you scared of?

• Love 2

Oh, my gosh...Hillary's health. I spent way more time debunking myths about her health months ago (they've been pushing that a LONG time), before she even won the nomination, to Trump and Bernie supporters. I could not believe how many actually believed that she had specific diagnoses and it was all proven. One woman told me Hillary absolutely had atrial fibrillation and gave me "proof" in the form of a medical site (a credible one) listing that as one cause of blood clots. Others told me Hillary definitely had brain damage because of the prism glasses she briefly wore, because you only wear prisms because of brain damage (I know Karl Rove or someone started that). I actually have permanent prisms in my glasses because I have some nerve damage. Mine look like normal glasses unless you take them off and hold them this way and that way until a teeny tiny line here and there (that helps my eye know to prompt my eye to move up or down so I don't see double) is visible. It took everything I have not to suggest that the people lapping this nonsense up have a diagnosis, all right. Ahem. 

• Love 6

The health thing is such bs. I remember in 2008 everyone made a big deal about McCains health. Even though I supported Obama I thought it was unfair no one ever mentioned Obama's health. Look at all the health problems JFK had. Plus anything can happen. Personally I think both candidates should be examined by the same physician and the results should be released. It will never happen because it would break a million HIPPA laws.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Advance35 said:

Isn't he more Byzantine as well?  Some have speculated that Pence loathes his running mate but wouldn't be able to beat Hillary on his own and Trump makes a good battering ram.  IF evil triumphed and they won, internal sabotage would begin and The End would be Trumps impeachment at which point, PENCE would get the Iron Throne. Shudder.

Other than the obvious suitability, what sold me on  Hillary was the debates.  The first one I was very nervous because Trump tends to get big and loud (though rarely coherent and accurate) and many of the RNC candidates had trouble facing that down during the primaries.   Clinton comported herself well, she went toe to toe with him even when he was acting up.  She didn't become a shrieking harpy, she was firm and made her points.   Then the 2nd debate, when  he bought in those women, I was horrified.  HORRIFIED, I thought there is no way Hillary is going to be able to get through this because I know I wouldn't of.   As it was, during that debate, I kept leaving the room every few minutes.   But Hillary was composed, coherent, professional and faced down his erratic, unhinged antics with aplomb.   And the third debate was much the same.  I couldn't have done the same in her shoes.

Brava Hillary.  I would have voted for her no matter what but I feel better about doing so.

Because men aren't use to dealing with verbal bullies like women are accustomed to. Hillary has heard far far worse said about her in her 69 years. (Happy Birthday ). Those wimps couldn't handle being called Lyin Ted or Little Marco, or even Jebra  ( ok that we one was a SNL skit but I'm sure the Republican candidate old love to take credit for it.) They dont have thick skin.

• Love 14

The thing about McCain's health was that he was in his seventies, had had four melanomas, and appointed Sarah Palin to be a "heartbeat away". (I do like the idea of the candidates being examined by the same physician and an accurate report released on each telling what is needed, but respecting privacy).

The thing about Clinton is that her presidency will be part of a large team of people--VP, Cabinet and others (even Bill)--who I expect to have a lot of confidence in. If she became ill, I'm sure everything would still continue competently and good decisions would be made.  Trump, on the other hand, would be a disaster leading the country and I'd actually worry more if he became ill (General Hayden, Christie, Giuliani, Bannon, Ailes, Pence--who knows what other thugs and haters make up his inner circle and would be jockeying for power without us ever knowing.)

• Love 14

That's what the pundits keep saying-- enthusiasm gap, etc -- [...]  (Lost my quote function)

Thanks, Noire, this cheers me up enormously.  Now I just have to figure out why the big dividing line between between women who like "this" candidate. . . and men--who would still get the job done for Trump if it were left to them.  Am I stupid to think goals should have absolute value, regardless of gender?

• Love 5

Oh, for...I just brought up YouTube because I want to see Hillary and Michelle Obama at a rally that was meant to begin at two. I usually get notice on Facebookm but so far no, and on the news stations, Trump is smarming. I typed in Hillary Clinton and out of the ten auto correct suggestions, five were health-related (seizures, health, illness, coughing, faints.). They want to believe it, they want her to be ill. I've seen some admit it. What ghouls.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Advance35 said:

Believe it or not, there are women who don't seem to care about the way Trump treats and speaks about Women, Women who don't care if other women have choices about what happens to their bodies (I once saw a movie about a woman who needed an abortion and couldn't get one, so some guy came to her house late at night and performed one with a HANGAR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!,

Do people not know this?  Yeah, there was a time when if you got pregnant, that was your only option.  It was called "back alley abortions".  Sometimes doctors would perform abortions in their home offices, just to give women a cleaner and safer procedure.  But they had to do it in secret.   And there were people who performed "coat hangar abortions" - a straightened out wire hangar, poke through the cervix would puncture the  amniotic sac and cause the pregnancy to end.   Also caused infection, bleeding, and many times, death.  

That is why the fight for women's reproductive rights is so important.  

Edited by backformore
  • Love 19
41 minutes ago, Padma said:

The thing about McCain's health was that he was in his seventies, had had four melanomas, and appointed Sarah Palin to be a "heartbeat away". (I do like the idea of the candidates being examined by the same physician and an accurate report released on each telling what is needed, but respecting privacy).

The thing about Clinton is that her presidency will be part of a large team of people--VP, Cabinet and others (even Bill)--who I expect to have a lot of confidence in. If she became ill, I'm sure everything would still continue competently and good decisions would be made.  Trump, on the other hand, would be a disaster leading the country and I'd actually worry more if he became ill (General Hayden, Christie, Giuliani, Bannon, Ailes, Pence--who knows what other thugs and haters make up his inner circle and would be jockeying for power without us ever knowing.)

I understand why McCain's health was an issue. I just didn't like narrative Obama is young so he must be healthy! I do think it is fair valid to criticize Palin since all Vice Presidents are a heartbeat away and it is our first chance to see the candidates make a decision. 

• Love 3

I posted this in the Trump thread, but am now realizing that it probably belongs here instead (and I would really like to understand what I am not understanding)

I heard that in the latest round of wikileaks emails there is one that discussed the amount Bill Clinton is paid for giving speeches and how many of the companies that paid him to give a speech also gave money to the Clinton Foundation. Perhaps one of you can help me, because I don't understand how this is supposed to make Hillary look bad.  I get that you don't want to highlight how much money the Clintons get for giving a speech (because Hillary's opponent is a "man of the people,"  a "regular guy" who takes out time from campaigning for a ribbon cutting ceremony on his very expensive hotel).  

However, the reporter was implying that the problem was that the same people that paid Bill to give a speech also gave money to the Clinton Foundation and I don't see how that is a bad thing.  To me, the most likely scenario is, for example, someone came to Bill asking him to give a speech and offered him $500k, and he said, "Pay me $300k and give the rest to the Foundation."

Even if it was "If you want me to give a speech, pay me my regular fee and donate more to the Foundation," it doesn't seem bad.  "Donate to the Foundation and you will get a special meeting with the Sec. of State" would be bad - although, frankly, I don't think it is nearly s bad as other forms of "pay to play".  But "Donate to the Foundation and I will let you pay me to give a speech" is fine.  

What am I missing? What is the other option? That someone said, "Hey, I want to give $500k to the Foundation" and Bill said, "Instead of donating $500k, only donate $200k and pay me $300 to give a speech." That would be bad, but it is so ridiculous a notion that it isn't even a possibility

• Love 9
18 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Since she hasn't done anything impeachable, that's like saying to Americans who vote for her -- perhaps the majority of those who vote -- we are going to nullify your choice because we don't like it. It's the ultimate rigging of an election.

That's basically what they've already said about President Obama, repeatedly, most recently with the SC justice nomination.  They are telling us "yes, you voted for this man, and you voted for him knowing that one of his responsibilities would be to appoint SC justices.  But, well, fuck you, because we won't let him carry that responsibility out, because we want someone in our party to do it.  We hold your vote in so much contempt, in fact, that we won't even approve a man who all of us have previously said is an ideal candidate, solely because the President who nominated him has a D next to his name.  We're willing to screw you over.  We're willing to screw Merrick Garland over, and we're willing to screw over anyone who has a case come before the court because we hate you for voting a Democrat into the White House....Now, don't forget to vote for us in November!"  

• Love 21
8 minutes ago, backformore said:

Do people not know this?  Yeah, there was a time when if you got pregnant, that was your only option.  It was called "back alley abortions".  Sometimes doctors would perform abortions in their home offices, just to give women a cleaner and safer procedure.  But they had to do it in secret.   And there were people who performed "coat hangar abortions" - a straightened out wire hangar, poke through the cervix would puncture the  amniotic sac and cause the pregnancy to end.   Also caused infection, bleeding, and many times, death.  

I know about back room abortions and just reading the description I grabbed my own pussy . (Take that Republicans candidate )

Please let us never go back to those days.

• Love 22

I voted today! Go, Hillary!

Your so lucky.  I just want to get this over with.  What was it like where you were Pixel?  Large turn-out? 

Oh dear.

Nothing against you, Advance35, I know you're a lot younger than I am.  I had just lost sight of the fact that the "bad old days" before Roe v. Wade would have become sort of like scary urban myth stories by now.

It's so hard to imagine.  It seems like something that could never happen and then this election with Trump kicked into gear.  Not that he truly gives a damn either way, which makes it a little worst in my eyes.

As candall said upthread, it may show my age but I honestly didn't.   I question whether it's really been driven home to the younger voting generation. 

On this issue alone, I don't understand why any woman, or anyone with a Daughter or Sister wouldn't vote for Hillary.   I don't have a child but if I did I would want her to have options in this world.   There is so little genuine control for ANYONE really, that the few things we do have control over, the thought of that being taken away is enough to make me want to cry.   And if it were lost, I don't think protest are things that would matter to Monster Trump or Gargoyle Pence.

• Love 14
47 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

I posted this in the Trump thread, but am now realizing that it probably belongs here instead (and I would really like to understand what I am not understanding)

I heard that in the latest round of wikileaks emails there is one that discussed the amount Bill Clinton is paid for giving speeches and how many of the companies that paid him to give a speech also gave money to the Clinton Foundation. Perhaps one of you can help me, because I don't understand how this is supposed to make Hillary look bad.  I get that you don't want to highlight how much money the Clintons get for giving a speech (because Hillary's opponent is a "man of the people,"  a "regular guy" who takes out time from campaigning for a ribbon cutting ceremony on his very expensive hotel).  

However, the reporter was implying that the problem was that the same people that paid Bill to give a speech also gave money to the Clinton Foundation and I don't see how that is a bad thing.  

I only have two real friends around here and with one, I don't even bring up politics because I strongly suspect . . .you know . . . and I can't afford to lose her.

The other voted Trump in the primary, but has now grudgingly switched to Hillary.  (Must the battle always be won inch by fucking inch?)  She says she just doesn't trust Hillary.  And I ask why not.  And she says, "Well, where do they get all their money, anyway?  They didn't ever run a business that made them rich, like Trump. [Me: pfft]  Are they living off the money people donate to their foundation?  Something's just not right there."  I told her the Clintons could probably make half a million dollars any week one of them felt like giving a speech (which didn't help my proselytizing.)

Hoo boy, speaking engagement/foundation overlap is going to be another thing that "just sounds sneaky."  I better close the laptop and go do damage control.

Edited by candall
  • Love 6

I only have two real friends around here and with one, I don't even bring up politics because I strongly suspect . . .you know . . . and I can't afford to lose her.

LOL, oh lord, it'll be over soon.

It feels kinda over for me since I voted today, what will be, will be.

Hoo boy, speaking engagement/foundation overlap is going to be another thing that "just sounds sneaky."  I better close the laptop and go do damage control.

LOL

• Love 4
(edited)

Remember, Hillary and Bill were also quite young in comparison to others when he became President, so that might have added to the resentment.  On where and how she got her money, remember (Wiki)

In 2003, Clinton released a 562-page autobiography, Living History, for which publisher Simon & Schuster paid Clinton a near-record advance of $8 million.  The book set a first-week sales record for a nonfiction work, went on to sell more than one million copies in the first month following publication, and was translated into twelve foreign languages...

Edited by atomationage
wiki
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, KerleyQ said:

That's basically what they've already said about President Obama, repeatedly, most recently with the SC justice nomination.  They are telling us "yes, you voted for this man, and you voted for him knowing that one of his responsibilities would be to appoint SC justices.  But, well, fuck you, because we won't let him carry that responsibility out, because we want someone in our party to do it.  We hold your vote in so much contempt, in fact, that we won't even approve a man who all of us have previously said is an ideal candidate, solely because the President who nominated him has a D next to his name.  We're willing to screw you over.  We're willing to screw Merrick Garland over, and we're willing to screw over anyone who has a case come before the court because we hate you for voting a Democrat into the White House....Now, don't forget to vote for us in November!"  

Yes - and the republicans are already saying they will block supreme court justices under Hillary.   Before even KNOWING who she nominates?  What bullshit!

• Love 14

I was interested that even if when Hillary wins, Kaine will vote for Garland during the lame duck session IF the Republicans will let him through.

Apparently they have no intention of doing that.  You would think, after the humiliation of having Donald Trump as your nominee and many of the stupidest most uninformed people on the face of the earth as a new faction of your party, that some of these Republicans in Congress would start thinking about leading to the center, and show they're able to get things done after all. (Since Trumpkins see them all as part of the "corrupt global political establishment in cahoots with the media and the Clintons" anyway. Why NOT show some leadership?)

Instead, apparently they have decided to compete with Trump for the alt-right and be even -more- obstructionist than ever.  Apparently, they feel being anti-Clinton is where their base is so that's where they're going--even already talking about impeachment hearings.

If that's the modern day Republican party, it really does deserve to be destroyed. 

27 minutes ago, Darian said:

Y'all, did you see James Franco's Hillary ad

That was adorable!

• Love 7
13 hours ago, film noire said:

nk the media (and hard core Hillary haters) have overlooked that many millions of  women (especially women of colour, and women over forty of every colour) feel no ambivalence about her candidacy at all. Nobody's holding their nose; they're raising their fists in joy. Not just because they're  voting for "a" woman, but because they're voting for this woman. 

Yes, my mom and I both love Hillary and are proud to be voting for her.   She may not be a saint, but I believe she means well and has worked for good causes her whole life.  I don't believe she's corrupt.

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, partofme said:

Yes, my mom and I both love Hillary and are proud to be voting for her.   She may not be a saint, but I believe she means well and has worked for good causes her whole life.  I don't believe she's corrupt.

I really honestly think that the whole "nobody wants to know how the sausage is made" metaphor works for Hillary.  Everyone is so appalled by the stuff that's come out, but, honestly, it's all standard run of the mill stuff. It's just out there because standard politician stuff is all the GOP has managed to dig up on her.  Sure, it makes her look questionable, but it's how the system works.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, callmebetty said:

I know about back room abortions and just reading the description I grabbed my own pussy

I read the description 15 minutes ago, and my cervix is still scared. 

1 hour ago, Advance35 said:

What was it like where you were Pixel?  Large turn-out?

Obviously I'm not Pixel, but I voted yesterday and it was a lot of people. My city is diverse (Dallas) but my county is very white. Everyone in the polling place was a POC, excluding the volunteers. Booyah! 

• Love 14

I read the description ['backroom abortions'] 15 minutes ago, and my cervix is still scared. 

Well, I don't want to seal you off permanently, but the 'back alley abortions' didn't kill nearly as many women as the self-abortions. That's where the coat hangers, knitting needles, Clorox, rat poison, etc. were commonly used.

I'm sorry.  I know it's horrible to keep bringing it up, but I just don't see how all of that has vanished into the mists of vague, possibly apocryphal, ancient history.  It's not like musing about whether the original Olympiads were really all in the nude--this was going on in the '70's!  (Which I call "high school."  Primetime for sexual experimentation, even though we were all terrified.)  I believe Advance35, and she really shook me up that this doesn't really register on the radar for the younger generation of voters--that it barely seems possible--when in reality, some polls say it's eveners whether we're going right back there.  I just saw a young woman say she was offended that Hillary would claim to carry hot sauce around in her purse.  Please!!  Wise up!

Twelve more days.  COME ON, HILLARY.

Edited by candall
  • Love 13
7 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Why are none of the emails released hilarious?  There is no office in the world, especially ones where everyone is a brainiac, where there are no not funny emails?

Because they are trying to release embarrassing ones. Funny ones would make her more relatable. Like when she asked her assistant to DVR Parks and Rec for her on the emails she made public last summer, people were like "She's just like me!" 

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

Because they are trying to release embarrassing ones. Funny ones would make her more relatable. Like when she asked her assistant to DVR Parks and Rec for her on the emails she made public last summer, people were like "She's just like me!" 

Hillary and Bill used to play Scrabble with Linda Bloodworth-Thomason and her husband--who made Designing Women and Evening Shade--while they nibbled on pizza and drank wine.  I was dying to be a part of that party.

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, atomationage said:

More of The Breakfast Club interview with Hillary, 33 minutes long.  It's very relaxed and interesting.  At 7:50, Hillary giving the finger to drumpf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH6IwKXJqmM

Okay I have not seen that before. Just in terms of Optics, that's great. I means she's sitting there at a shitty little table in an urban radio station with a guy named DJ Envy!  That's... both hilarious and wonderful all at once.

EDIT - Hah!  I didn't even catch on that the OTHER guy is "Charlamagne Tha God". Hoo boy. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Advance35 said:

Your so lucky.  I just want to get this over with.  What was it like where you were Pixel?  Large turn-out? 

I live in a pretty small town (about 5000 people), so there were only 3 of us there when I went.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, candall said:

I just saw a young woman say she was offended that Hillary would claim to carry hot sauce around in her purse. 

If that doesn't just perfectly encapsulate this damn election period, I don't know what does.  Trump wants to watch the world burn (because he's presumably figured out a way to monetize it), but, hold the presses, Hillary says she carries hot sauce in her purse!  

• Love 16
2 hours ago, candall said:

I'm sorry.  I know it's horrible to keep bringing it up, but I just don't see how all of that has vanished into the mists of vague, possibly apocryphal, ancient history. 

I feel like it's crucial to keep bringing it up, just as it's vital to show the reality of life before vaccinations. Yeah, kids weren't snuggled in bed with a teddy bear and flushed cheeks. They were scarred and some died. I was 12 when abortion became legal, and I only remember vague whispers and the occasional horror story. I know my mother almost died giving birth to my sister after a gruesome, awful labor, then was very, very careful with birth control and conceived me anyway. We once talked about it, when I figured out how deeply my badass mom had been by that experience, and that I must have been a mistake. So when anti-choice people say, if your mother aborted you, you wouldn't be here, I say I'd never know any better, and I wish she'd had that choice. I know what an advocate Hillary has been and will be.  

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

If that doesn't just perfectly encapsulate this damn election period, I don't know what does.  Trump wants to watch the world burn (because he's presumably figured out a way to monetize it), but, hold the presses, Hillary says she carries hot sauce in her purse!  

Look, I never realized that hot sauce was a black thing, maybe a southern thing, or a Caribbean thing which is where my family immigrated from, but not a black people thing. Since the hell when did black folks take over hot sauce? Because this black person doesn't know when that happened.  I don't carry it in my purse because I don't use it. Nor do any of my family members, friends nor associates of African descent carry it in their purses. In my forty plus years, nope, haven't experienced this at all and again, my family is from the Caribbean. So I don't know how in the hell this is Hillary trying to pander to black folks.

This hot sauce gripe that Hillary is just pandering blah, blah, blah  is some ignorant bullshit. Good luck to them with this one. 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Padma said:

Trump, on the other hand, would be a disaster leading the country and I'd actually worry more if he became ill (General Hayden, Christie, Giuliani, Bannon, Ailes, Pence--who knows what other thugs and haters make up his inner circle and would be jockeying for power without us ever knowing.)

His execrable spawn! He's already floated the idea of making them cabinet members. Oy.

In passing, I kind of disagree with the accepted characterization of HRC as "ambitious".* To me, pure ambition connotes someone who is is driven to achieve for personal success. I certainly know HRC to be extraordinarily determined in her goals, but from her Wellesley commencement speech on, I believe her drive is for the common good, not for individual wealth or recognition or self-aggrandizement. (Not to belabor, but as expected, diametrically opposed to Trump's own drive.)

* I also resent the inference from her detractors that ambition by itself is a bad thing.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 8

I'm sorry.  I know it's horrible to keep bringing it up, but I just don't see how all of that has vanished into the mists of vague, possibly apocryphal, ancient history. 

That has been popping my eyes out of their sockets, too.  For me, talk of how precarious abortion rights are (Casey took a sledgehammer to Roe, and states have been chipping away at the remaining chunks ever since) and what happens when women don't have access to safe, legal abortions is everyday chatter.  Of course, I'm a civil rights lawyer with a focus on women's rights.  But it's a semi-regular topic among my non-colleagues, too; we're older, yes, but for most of us abortion was legal by the time we started having sex. 

If what "back alley" and self-induced abortions entail really isn't fairly common knowledge anymore (so does the picture of a wire hanger with a circle around it and line through it, like "no more," just leave the average young person scratching her/his head?), then that's one of the reasons many of those who identify as pro-choice don't get particularly riled up around the issue of abortion rights when it comes time to vote.

I have my issues with Hillary, but her willingness to grab this political third rail in both hands and say, "Women should have the right to choose, period" is much appreciated.

I also resent the inference from her detractors that ambition by itself is a bad thing.

Ambition is a good thing.  When women are ambitious, it suddenly morphs into a negative.  Fuck that.  Hillary is ambitious, and good for her, and good for us, because her determination to succeed has been for herself and for the good of others/society in general.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Keepitmoving said:

Since the hell when did black folks take over hot sauce? Because this black person doesn't know when that happened.  I don't carry it in my purse because I don't use it.

So, Hillary mentioned it after Beyonce's Formation's came out. The lyrics go, "I've got hot sauce in my bag." But, Bey didn't say in the song "...because I am black." It could have been because Beyonce is a southern girl. Hillary spent all that time in Arkansas. But the people who think she is pandering don't realize Hillary has been a hot sauce fan since before she was in the white house. She quite literally had hot sauce in her bag when she made that statement.

Maybe it's a black thing, maybe it's a southern thing. I'm black, in Texas and have never had hot sauce readily available. However, no one else in my family could say the same. They like hot sauce. 

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 6
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I have my issues with Hillary, but her willingness to grab this political third rail in both hands and say, "Women should have the right to choose, period" is much appreciated.

Samantha Bee appreciated it a lot this week.  Her YT page has four extended interviews with women who were featured on her show after experiences with Catholic hospitals. 

On the hot sauce thing, that may go back to Justin Wilson's Louisiana Cookin', which was a popular show in the 1980s.  He stuck hot sauce in everything. 

Edited by atomationage
justin wilson
  • Love 10

Maybe someone should make a thread for Transition Talk or something (even though I know we don't want to jinx anything), but I'll just put it here for now. I read that Joe Biden is apparently at the top of Hillary's shortlist for Secretary of State!

That's interesting, because I think that was the position he may have originally wanted in 2008, after Obama got the nomination. Has a vice-president ever gone on to a Cabinet position before?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, candall said:

I just saw a young woman say she was offended that Hillary would claim to carry hot sauce around in her purse.  Please!!  Wise up!

Yeah, and there was a woman on TV who said that she really took offense to Hillary wearing pantsuits all the time -  even to the debate!   she should wear a dress, show some respect! 

WTF? 

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Well, they did include recipes.

And Jon Lovett, straight shooter respected on both sides, maintains that any emails with jokes from him that arent funny were clearly written by a Russian hacker!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6