Type keyword(s) to search

Hillary Rodham Clinton: 2016 Democratic Presidential Nominee

3 minutes ago, partofme said:

I just read on aol(yes i still have aol email) that Trump won the debate?  By like 59%?  What debate were they watching?

You mean this? (it says 57%)

http://www.aol.com/article/news/2016/10/20/flash-poll-donald-trump-won-final-presidential-debate/21587773/

They can't even be consistent though.

Donald Trump was the resounding winner of the final presidential debate in Las Vegas, according to a flash poll conducted during the debate.

Approximately 57 percent of people named the GOP nominee the winner of the tense debate according to the unscientific survey that ran on AOL.com during the debate. Hillary Clinton was the winner according to 43 percent.

But then...

A separate poll taken after the debate ended suggested that more users thought Clinton won. Two hours after the debate had ended, she held a nearly 20-point lead over her rival.

There's other cray-cray in that piece though. Including revealing that it was based on "hundreds of users". Um. Right. Choosen based on SEEING the poll, not via any selection process.

Another guess. You may be the exception (I don't know), but I suspect most remaining AOL users are older, probably a lot in Red States where stuff like FIOS and other newer tech hasn't replaced it, etc.

• Love 1

Good read.  What impressed me about Hillary with her debate performances is she clearly learned lessons from each debate and improved upon what she hadn't done as well previously.  That's what you want in a leader, in a president.  Someone who's clearly qualified to begin with, but who will only get better and better because she'll put in the work.  She's had 30 years of experience in serving and she would have learned from all her mistakes every time to improve the next time.  She and her team clearly analyzed what worked, what didn't.  It was nice to see them discard some of the approaches in the final debate that worked less well before (e.g. go to hillaryclinton.com). Her attacks on Trump's were sharper; her vocalization for women, against misogyny and all that Trump represents was stronger.  Even as a skilled debater, it's tough going against someone unpredictable like Trump who doesn't live by conventional rules of debating and politics.  Hillary rose to the challenge and then some.  She kept calm, maintained her poise, presented her arguments thoughtfully and rationally. Again, all the qualities you want in a leader.  All women should feel proud to have such a woman representing them.

• Love 21

Can't say I ever thought "Stronger Together" was a brilliant slogan (can't compare to "Yes, we can", or as much as I hate to say it, MAGA), but the ones on this list that her campaign considered might be even less inspiring.  Some of them are really bad.

I suppose it's too late to change it to "NastyWomenGetShitDone". 

I agree with a lot of this too.  Some people have the idea that Hillary somehow has a lot of murky ideas about governance, and you're not quite sure what she stands for.  But I think she'll be a pragmatic leader who is about getting things done most of all, even if it's inch by inch, with progressive instincts but who understands the political reality of fashioning some kind of consensus and compromise while still making progress.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

Okay, I have to be honest and admit I don't like this tweet much.

The Orange One is the one who brags about winning the debates (even if he's lying), not Hillary (even though she wouldn't be lying). At least my gut feels that way.

I adore that she didn't back away from the moment. Women are still taught to diminish, undermine or wave away their success to avoid being seen as a boastful bitch, and I love that HRC is modeling for women what men are encouraged to do, whenever they achieve; look up at the world and smile, taking ownership of your success.

• Love 23
11 minutes ago, film noire said:

I adore that she didn't back away from the moment. Women are still taught to diminish, undermine or wave away their success to avoid being seen as a boastful bitch, and I love that HRC is modeling for women what men are encouraged to do, whenever they achieve; look up at the world and smile, taking ownership of your success.

This just reminded me of a small moment in the debate last night, but one I loved.  It was when she was responding to how Trump talks about women, and she said, "He goes after their dignity, their self-worth, and I don’t think there’s a woman anywhere that doesn’t know what that feels like."  Unfortunately, it rang so true - I know I've certainly felt that way in my life - and I loved that she laid bare that his "it's just words!!" defense doesn't hold water.

Also, while I love the "nasty woman" shirts, what I'd really prefer is a shirt that says "I mean, who does that?!"

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 21
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

"He goes after their dignity, their self-worth, and I don’t think there’s a woman anywhere that doesn’t know what that feels like."  Unfortunately, it rang so true

I also thought that was one of Hillary's best moments, and really heartfelt, like she usually is when she talks about women and children.  I've been posting in so many threads that I can't keep track of where I read things, but I wanted to respond to some people in the media claiming that Drumpf won the debate, and the poster wondering what debate they watched.   I think they were watching the debate between Themanisalwaysright and Womenarealwayswrong. 

Edited by atomationage
and
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

This just reminded me of a small moment in the debate last night, but one I loved.  It was when she was responding to how Trump talks about women, and she said, "He goes after their dignity, their self-worth, and I don’t think there’s a woman anywhere that doesn’t know what that feels like."  Unfortunately, it rang so true - I know I've certainly felt that way in my life - and I loved that she laid bare that his "it's just words!!" defense doesn't hold water.

That was a great moment, perhaps worked out in advance but not feeling scripted, because it was so true. It also reminded me of how she's personally felt the put downs, even as a woman, as when he recently told his crowds after the second debate, "I watched her (from behind) when she walked past me. And, frankly, not impressed!" Then his "Such a nasty woman" --which probably was also pre-planned, but just underscored what an arrogant pig he is.

Thanks for the headsup re: Al Smith dinner, car54. I really want to see that.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 9

Ooh, I like that -- to walk around all day with my "I voted" sticker on my pantsuit (my suits are split about 50/50 between skirts and pants, so I have several to choose from).  Thanks for an idea that will give me a smile during a day of anxiety.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I wonder how many people will wear a pantsuit to vote on Nov 8th?  I would if I had one.

A lot of women I know are wearing white, like Hillary did, for the suffragists. I am. I don't have a white pantsuit or I'd wear that. 

• Love 2

Just for the record, 'nastywomengetshitdone.com' domain wasn't set up by the campaign team. It was this supporter. https://twitter.com/thecultureofme
(via Bustle.com) A supporter of Hillary Clinton named Jeff Meltz, rather than the Hillary For America campaign itself, claims to be responsible for buying the "Nasty Women Get Shit Done" domain name and redirecting it to Clinton's official campaign site. "I registered the site because of the comment and also the idea of "bitches get stuff done," Meltz, a New Yorker, tells Bustle. "I forwarded to Hillary's site because I'm voting for her and any possible effort I could make to drive more traffic and donations to her campaign, I figured, why not."

A few more Clinton Camp Isn’t Behind MakeAmericaNastyAgain.com—But It Should Be

MakeAmericaNastyAgain.com
400PoundHackersForHillary.com
ThatMexicanThing.com
BadHombres.org

Off topic-ish but I liked this one, too. 
"trumpisscared.org / Paid for by the Nuisance Committee and not authorized by any candidate or candidate committee"

"Donald Trump, he can't read this, but he is afraid of it," reads the black-and-white billboard created by the Nuisance Committee super PAC, which is based in Chicago. The sign, which went up late last week, directs viewers totrumpisscared.org, which gives a short history of Trump's controversial statements on immigration.
Edited by sum
  • Love 12
12 minutes ago, Darian said:

A lot of women I know are wearing white, like Hillary did, for the suffragists. I am. I don't have a white pantsuit or I'd wear that. 

That's cool.  I have to be say, I think a white pantsuit is tough to pull off.  Reason why I have a dozen black ones and no white ones, heh.  But rock them if you have one, or wear something white.  Mark the historic occasion because it sure is historic! 

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Darian said:

I love this idea, and will now be pulling out the one white thing I own (I spill very easily) to wear when I vote.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Kromm said:

I agree. I don't much like the "I won the debates" brag thing, but I love the idea of taking Trump's own garbage and shoving it back at him. That domain they grabbed should pop up a message before it does the redirection. Something like "I am indeed a nasty woman, Donald, and a nasty woman is going to TRUMP you in this election!"

Maybe even a full ad campaign. With music. Is there a good song out there with the phrase "nasty woman" in it? There are ones like "evil woman" but that's actually off-message. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Ooh, I like that -- to walk around all day with my "I voted" sticker on my pantsuit (my suits are split about 50/50 between skirts and pants, so I have several to choose from).  Thanks for an idea that will give me a smile during a day of anxiety.

26 minutes ago, Darian said:

I have more pant suits than dress suits, but alas, nothing in White. But I am so going to be wearing my Black Power Suit a week from today when I cast my vote.

• Love 5

Just when you think Donald Trump couldn't do any worse than shoot himself in the foot with the response to whether or not he'll accept the outcome of the election if he doesn't win, by saying "I'll keep you in suspense", he shot himself in the other foot at his rally this afternoon by saying "I will absolutely accept the outcome of this election.........IF I WIN!" What a dumabass

• Love 9
2 hours ago, car54 said:

Just read that C-Span will broadcast the Al Smith Dinner at 9 pm ET tonight.   Time to watch the candidates try to be funny.

Trump's own sign of a sense of humor is at other's expense, so it will be interesting to see him try and fake humility.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

I am old enough to remember when Hillary first came to the White House, and the absolute vitriol heaped on her because she wasn't sticking to the traditional First Lady role of having teas, keeping her mouth shut about major policy issues, and adopting some harmless pet project so that the public would feel good about her.

Before that, in Arkansas, people were very confused because she continued to use her own last name rather than her husband's when he first became governor.  Then he lost an election, and after that she decided she had to use the Clinton name.  I can't remember when the Rodham name came back in, but it immediately became a subject for derision by idiots.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I wonder how many people will wear a pantsuit to vote on Nov 8th?  I would if I had one.

I emailed the campaign (or emailed whoever doesn't read what you write after you've made a donation :)  that one of her inaugural balls should be a Pantsuit Gala -- and of course suggested that I SHOULD COME -- but wouldn't a Pantsuit Gala be fun? 

@BookWoman56 -- Yes yes yes to your post. And yes again.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Trump's own sign of a sense of humor is at other's expense, so it will be interesting to see him try and fake humility.

Reading the various articles about the Comedy Central roasting will be difficult for him.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Darian said:

I didn't know this.  I was planning on wearing blue, the Democratic color.    

• Love 1

The debate,all I have to say is that I knew Drumpf was toast when she came out wearing her suffragette outfit. I was like, she has come to whip his ass. I immediately felt settled when I saw what she was wearing.

The dinner? Once again, he's horrific, that crack about her hating Catholics, WOW. He should have stopped with the Melania joke, because I think he was doing fine up to that point. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Darian said:

Hillary did very well. When she talked about the discrimination Al Smith faced, she was historically correct, and it was a direct contrast with Trump's anti-Islam rhetoric. 

I guess she was aware of this as well... 
- A Twitter thread twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/789290808998563841
- And the Washingtonpost article that was referred to in one of them In 1927, Donald Trump’s father was arrested after a Klan riot in Queens

• Love 2
5 hours ago, atomationage said:

Before that, in Arkansas, people were very confused because she continued to use her own last name rather than her husband's when he first became governor.  Then he lost an election, and after that she decided she had to use the Clinton name.  I can't remember when the Rodham name came back in, but it immediately became a subject for derision by idiots.

That was one of the issues that drew me to her initially. I kept my own name after I married (both times) and am damn glad I did, so I didn't have to change my name back on ID and so forth after getting divorced. But I sympathized with her because I also got a ton of flak about not changing my name, from my first set of in-laws all the way to the county clerks when I went to file for homestead exemption, who could not understand the concept of a married woman who did not use her husband's last name. To this day, I am horrified that I had to include in the divorce petitions a request to restore my maiden name, when I had never stopped using it or ever used either husband's last name. I understood all too well Hillary's desire to keep her own name, while recognizing that she agreed to the change because she knew it was costing votes to retain it.

• Love 9

Here's an embed of her Al Smith routine (I also posted Donald's in the thread about him). She doesn't go QUITE as nasty as Donald does, but it's probably nastier than she normally would be at something like this:

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 5

Man, watching the Al Smith dinner and the debate last night it truly crystallized what a step backwards the next president will be. Compare Hillary's performance tonight to either of Obama's and you see the inability to really take pot shots at herself and a meanness to her that just isn't there with Obama. Obama is the epitome of class and grace and Hillary just isn't. She's small. One of the reporters tweeted tonight that Trump's appalling performance at Al Smith's dinner just covered up for how mediocre Hillary was and how that was a summary of the entire election. The appalling vs. the mediocre. No wonder millennials are struggling to find enthusiasm to vote. 

I so love that Trump got booed and so clearly bombed, and Hillary came after and got a standing ovation. She did exactly what she needed to do, and pointed as some of the barbs were, they were still jokes, and still within the traditional tone of this event. That, after Trump, seemed particularly appreciated. He tried to poison that particular audience against her, saying she "hates Catholics" and she came up, delivered the perfect mix of self-deprecating humor (Trump couldn't do that even after saying he knew he needed to), jokes at the expense of those in the room, and conciliatory, inspiring rhetoric. Once again, she was presidential.  

• Love 14

Obama calls Trump a whiner at a state event with a world leader there.  Good GOD, he's amazing!  Hillary Clinton calls Trump a whiner at a roast dinner.  She's a foul, mean, small, classless, graceless epitome of mediocrity. 

Yep.  Seems legit!

• Love 24
11 hours ago, Darian said:

Hillary did very well. When she talked about the discrimination Al Smith faced, she was historically correct, and it was a direct contrast with Trump's anti-Islam rhetoric. 

That won the evening for me.  She also highlighted the discrimination that some of the attendees' ancestors undoubtedly faced when they reached these shores.  She didn't have to call out Drumpf by name, but that was a stealth kick in the gut and I loved it.

ETA:  And, talk about a sourpuss!  Rudy Ghouliani who looked as if he was ready for a dirt nap in his crypt.  When Secretary Clinton highlighted his hypocrisy in hailing Drumpf as a financial genius in skirting the tax laws, I howled and pumped my fist.  I can't wait to see this campaign season's postmortem report.  The roll call of Drumpf surrogates who were willing to sell their souls for a seat at the table will be a mile long.

Edited by MulletorHater
  • Love 15

I have seen Hillary Clinton take face-to-face criticism from Donald Trump during the debates and she barely blinked. I put myself in those positions she's been in and I know how I'd react.  I'd feel defensive, insulted, embarrassed and humiliated. Hillary Clinton doesn't.  She doesn't rattle, she doesn't strike back even when she was told by Donald that she's a 'nasty woman'. Not many people, never mind women, could resist a retort. It takes a tremendous amount of self-control not to respond in an emotional way immediately when being insulted and ridiculed.

This is what got her my vote.  I fully admit I would have had a FIT over the stunts that have been pulled in this election.  That 2nd Debate? The Public would still be talking about how "Advance LOST IT."   But she pressed on and remained composed and focused.   I fully admit I would not have been able to do that and I would bet my hard earned Dollar that Mr. Trump wouldn't have been able to do that either.   Some conflicts have to be resolved through persuasiveness and subtlety and I don't think he's capable of that.   I think he can be quite easy to manipulate and he's lacking in stamina in terms of holding his ground without losing his sh&t.   A Manbaby through and through.

I am praying he loses.  Just the idea of putting the word "President" before his last name makes me think I'm watching a sequel to "Spaceballs" only, horror of horrors, this is happening in real life.

• Love 16

Thanks to the posters who mentioned wearing white on election day. I think I have a white sweater. I'll be just a few days out from hip replacement surgery but I'll crawl to the polls if I have to!

• Love 15
15 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

Rudy Ghouliani who looked as if he was ready for a dirt nap in his crypt.

When she called him out, my wife and I laughed.  When they focused the lens on his face, we HOWLED!  My sides hurt and there were tears in my eyes.  That was hilarious.  Christ, that was funny.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Obama calls Trump a whiner at a state event with a world leader there.  Good GOD, he's amazing!  Hillary Clinton calls Trump a whiner at a roast dinner.  She's a foul, mean, small, classless, graceless epitome of mediocrity. 

Yep.  Seems legit!

Additionally, while it has been fun to have Obama and his great humor and charisma, those aren't required characteristics for a good president. Just because Hillary isn't as natural at joking around publicly doesn't mean she would be a step down as president. She has a lot of other positive traits that make her plenty qualified to be a good president. A lot of people who have known her a long time have said she actually does have a great sense of humor privately, and I will choose to believe them. So you never know - maybe once she has the job (please, please), she will also be able to loosen up some more and come across better to others at these sort of events. If not, oh well. No big deal. I'll get my laughter elsewhere. 

• Love 23