Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E07: Week 4: The Results

• Start Topic

Sasha and Emma! That was so adorable! (I thought they had broken up. Lol)

Aww, just when I had started getting attached to Vanilla Ice :( He should have outlasted Amber and Maureen and Ryan.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 11

Disappointed that James and Sharna were in jeopardy.  

I think what sunk Vanilla was doing the VWaltz after Cheryl's much better choreography for Ryan. 

8 minutes ago, McGee43 said:

Pretty sure that whole Derek piece was just to remind everyone how it's his show since he and his partner aren't doing as well this season.

I guess it was impressive, it just felt overindulgent. 

39 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Well that was adorable 

That was a great surprise.  Congrats to the couples! 

• Love 7

Awwww, I'm going to miss Vanilla Ice!  He always seemed to be enjoying himself, no matter what.

All of the celebrities eliminated so far have been men...I don't watch every year; does it usually slant that way?  Because unless Ryan has some huge fan base, I can't imagine him going much further, and if Jena and Amber outlast him?  I'll be annoyed, and I don't actually even like Ryan Lochte!

James in danger of elimination?  That better have been bullshit.   He's really good and I think his personality is so cute.

• Love 4

Sasha and Emma! That was so adorable! (I thought they had broken up. Lol)

They did for a short while and then they got back together. I like them both and I'm happy for them but man I hate public proposals - it's always so awkward to me. 

I don't buy that James was truly in danger of being eliminated for a second. But I do think it's interesting the producers chose to mess with his fanbase like that. I think they realize that he is the best chance to truly challenge Laurie this season and so maybe they want his fanbase who may to this point be voting okay, to get really fired up and motivated. 

• Love 4

I guess James, Jana and Ryan might be in vote trouble (of the celebs they care about keeping.) This fake jeopardy is annoying.

I so hope the Hough hubris catches up to both of them - I suppose it has, to an extent, with the flop of Derek's feature film with the Asian superstar Koa or Goa or whoever she was. His acting was criticized pretty badly too - one critic even complained about his dancing! (on imdb) Julianne hasn't set the film world on fire either.

Anyway, 4 men gone - I thought this season looked like a prop-the-pro-guys one. Shame it's so dull (Vanilla was one of the highlights - Rick Perry too, of all people.) Guess we'll see if the ratings agree.

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1

Derek's performance was one of the most self-serving things I've ever seen.

If Valand Maks got a performance last week and Derek got one this week, I hope other pros will get the same opportunity...

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

I realize the "James/Sharna are in jeopardy" claim was probably b.s. -- but it did succeed in making me more determined to vote for him and keep him on the show.

Oh Good Grief, I did not believe James/Sharna were in 'jeopardy"...TPTB just wanted to add to the drama.  I will keep voting for him

Call it self-indulgent - I for one was glad to see a performance that included actual quality dancing and hell, even had multiple dance styles. See Mandy, it can be done. I'll take that any day over Mandy's skin-fest bullshit and I'll take it over that awkwardness of Maks' giving a lap-dance to grandma last week.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 13
22 minutes ago, Sugaree said:

So annoyed that Derek had to intrude on the proposal moment.

So annoying. Everyone else trickled out after him, but of course he had to be first ::eyeroll::

Meanwhile, I thought Sasha was gay, so there's that. Good for him and Emma I guess. Wasn't it just a season or two ago, though, that one of the "stars" (Alek?) had a major crush on Emma and the other female pros were trying to get them together? Was that before she and Sasha were together or was that during their short break up? 

Was Derek's dance supposed to be something special? I saw him write on Instagram earlier today that he was so excited to unveil his new "concept" dance. It looked like every other dance he does. 

I'd like for once to turn the channel to DWTS and see a female pro dance that doesn't involve a significant amount of booty shaking. Witney does it really well, but I think the female pros deserve something more complex and creative. The male pros seem to get much more interesting dances. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, mstar1125 said:

So annoying. Everyone else trickled out after him, but of course he had to be first ::eyeroll::

Meanwhile, I thought Sasha was gay, so there's that. Good for him and Emma I guess. Wasn't it just a season or two ago, though, that one of the "stars" (Alek?) had a major crush on Emma and the other female pros were trying to get them together? Was that before she and Sasha were together or was that during their short break up? 

I think Sasha and Emma were together again at the point, but the showmance between Alek and Emma was played up for the cameras.  I remember one of the gossip outlets talking about Emma's unnamed boyfriend.  They've been together something like five years with a short break a few years ago, but they've only been really public about it since late last year.

• Love 2

This is the full video for Derek's collaboration with Lindsey Stirling 

He's been filming them all summer, and there are more. One he worked with Travis Wall on, one with Rudy Abreu (from SYTYCD) and I think maybe some others. To be released on his new YouTube channel.

I think they are pretty great, and inventive. The tapping in this is with an assist from this couple: http://instagram.com/caleyandkelsey

I like that his process is intensely collaborative.

(I'll throw out there too, Derek, Emma and Sasha are all really close. So that just miiight have been his motivation behind wanting to congratulate his friends.)

• Love 5

I post very seldom but I am really tired of the "golden boy" hate. I really like Derek and enjoy his dancing! Throw in a little drumming for variety and it was fun. Last week with Maks and Val, I didn't post that I disliked it but I did. For those who like them...well, Maks, I like Val....it was probably a fine performance but for me it was uncomfortable with the lady they dragged on the stage. In tonight's performance, there were a lot of terrific dancers and dance was highlighted not just Derek! I loved the variety in the dance and the section with Derek and the female dancer(sorry, don't know who it was) was breath-taking. I can't understand why folks can't just watch the performances and enjoy the dancing...I surely liked Derek's dance tonight much more than some unknown singer singing for whatever reason.

And you know, believe it or not, I think Derek was really happy for Sasha and Emma!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 20

There are a whole lot of people I wanted to leave before Rob/Vanilla. Too bad, I though he conducted himself with class. 

Derek didn't bug. I liked the dance. Not a crazed fan just find him interesting when he dances. 

• Love 7

Random thoughts:

Did they have a "She said NO!" graphic ready and sad trombone music cued up if the proposal didn't go well? This is why I told my husband that he wasn't allowed to propose in public, like at a hockey game. Because I would purposely say no as a joke and that moment would live forever (it's okay, he still loves me).

Was Derek supposed to lose a drumstick and beat on the drums with one hand? Because it looked awkward and the hand beating didn't seem to match up with the sharpness of the track. See above mention of the husband, because he plays drums and I know far more than I ever wanted to about drumming.

Whoever the woman was that sang towards the back half of the show: it's pretty obvious that your microphone isn't on, or on very loudly, when after a huge vocal explosion, you say "Thank you" into the mic and it's barely heard. Yeah...

Boo to Vanilla Ice leaving. As much as I love Allison, I'm fine with Babyface going. But boo V. Ice. I demand a recount!

• Love 5

Vanilla Ice wouldn't have been my first choice for the second elimination - I was seeing more improvement with him than Amber Rose or Lochte, both of whom are still very stiff and underwhelming and either of whom can leave my screen any time.

Count me in with those turned off by the fashion of hating Derek. I said spontaneously at the end of his piece, "well, I really quite enjoyed that, Derek." And yes, in response to the comment above, I thought at the time (and still think) he lost a drumstick in the first section and covered. I don't find his personality particularly grating. Maks, on the other hand... (funny how brothers can be so different; Val's quite innocuous and even endearing in comparison).

• Love 8

Sasha and Emma! They're adorable. I cringe at public proposals because ... what if she didn't want to say yes? Like, they could go very, very badly. I'm glad this one wasn't. And really, we're going assume Derek is such a bad person that he wanted glory in congratulating them? Not that he was just excited for friends? Or the nearest to the stage? Or saw the writing on the wall and got down there quickly (because once Tom said he was passing the housing duties to Sasha it was pretty clear what was going down). The constant villianizing of Derek is incredible. 

That said, I don't think anyone knew it was happening, outside the production team and Tom. Erin didn't. Bruno definitely didn't. 

What was Derek's beef with the male pro dance? Not his, the Mandy Moore choreographed one. I didn't think it was raunchy, which is kind of what his tweet implied. In fact, I thought it was pretty classy, especially given it was a Mandy Moore dance.  

The first part of the dance to Sara Larson was awful. Was that more Mandy Moore? It would fit her "girls can only do raunchy".

No way James was in the actual bottom. Maybe I'll actually vote for him just in case, though. He's my favorite. 

Ryan is growing on me. He's not as brotastic as I imagined he'd be all the time. 

I won't really miss Babyface and Allison, though I really liked Babyface's personality and attitude about it all, but I still think Allison isn't cut out to be a pro on this show. 

I was mostly kind of indifferent to Vanilla Ice, but it kind of sucks that his best dance got him eliminated.

Honestly, I would have rather Jana and Gleb go home. 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, McManda said:

What was Derek's beef with the male pro dance? Not his, the Mandy Moore choreographed one. I didn't think it was raunchy, which is kind of what his tweet implied. In fact, I thought it was pretty classy, especially given it was a Mandy Moore dance.  

What did he say?

I was really hoping that Sharna would go.  It is a shame that James is paired with her.  Of course I would have been happy for Amber to leave as well, and Marilu would not have been a bad choice either.  If Maks and Golden Boy had gotten booted on the same night, that would have been great.

At least Ryan is safe.  :)

• Love 2

Yes, I'm not unhappy about Babyface going -- he said happy things, but he never seemed actually happy.  And I'm not a fan of Alison.  I mostly dislike her dances.

I'm sorry about Vanilla Ice going - he was entertaining.  Witney, not so much.

I'd love Gleb and Jana to go because they make me "feel uncomfortable" (tm. Julianne Hough), also Artem and Maureen (he seems to be very hard on her and she seems to be really irritating and it doesn't make it fun to watch them - plus I'm starting to dislike Artem for the manly sulking).  

Then Ryan and Cheryl; then Terra and Sasha, then Maureen and Derek and while I'm listing my preferred exit list, I might as well go for top 3, leaving in this order:  Laurie, Jake and the winner Calvin.  

Gotta admit, despite my heavy Julianne dislike, her apology sounded genuine and she said what she should have said.

I liked the boys' dance - it seemed classy to me.  Derek's had some good bits and some boring bits.  With his chest exposed in that V formation, he reminded me a lot of Michael Flatley (the music helped that) -- which is not a compliment.

I enjoy Allison's personality, but I cannot stand her as a pro on this show. Not that Babyface was going to win, but he could have gone farther with a partner who could choreograph for a non-dancer, as most of the other pros can. And I just don't particularly enjoy how she interprets ballroom. Oh well, Babyface, you were lovely while you lasted.

So Maureen reads from some yoga journal before each performance? I am assuming she does yoga and that's why she has a freaking rocking body for a lady of her vintage. Wasn't there another contestant, a "woman of a certain age," who also had a great body who did yoga? OK, I'm convinced. I'm dusting off my yoga mat ASAP.

I cannot abide by James being in jeopardy, whether real or not. I haven't voted up until now, but I will from here on out. James is one of my favorite contestants in a really long time. 

I loved loved loved the dance to "Ain't No Sunshine." Wow, it was gorgeous!

• Love 2

Addition to Random Thoughts by Callaphera:

Maureen is a bit of a name dropper, isn't she? "I knew Michael Jackson. I spent lots of time with Michael Jackson." Uh, good for you? Also, the "this is the best moment of my career" comment after scoring on Monday's show kinda bugged a bit. Really? Dancing With the Stars? I mean, I'm glued to my TV every Monday when it's on, but it's a sparkly reality show. If that truly is your greatest career moment, I feel sorry for you.

• Love 4

I had no idea Sasha and Emma were even a couple! That was a sweet moment, but geez Derek?! You just HAD to rush the stage first, didn't ya? Couldn't even let them have their moment a little while longer? At least let Terra hug them first, he's HER partner! But did anyone notice that Bruno was crying and even Tom was wiping tears away?

Sad to see Vanilla Ice go. He really seemed to be giving it his all. Babyface? Well...that was a good try. But I would have rather Maureen gone home.

I never knew Derek could play the drums. ...in fact, that is my main problem with him. He's TOO good for this show! He should be back on Broadway choreographing...not here!

'

1 hour ago, McGee43 said:

Pretty sure that whole Derek piece was just to remind everyone how it's his show since he and his partner aren't doing as well this season.

Poor baby! LOL!

Edited by SpikeGal
  • Love 1

What did he say?

From this post in the Media thread: (I'd quote directly, but the formatting goes all wonky, so...)
Derek hastily tweeted (and then deleted) the following: 

"Talent trumps cheap thrills. I hope America recognizes the difference." Followed by, "Glad to be apart of a classy show that isn't about male stripping. Oh wait we still do that on this show." Val responded with "Boy you better stay away from those male strippers then."

People were speculating it was about the male pro number, which I might understand, except I thought the male pro number was classy. No stripping ... or anything akin to stripping, really. 

Maureen is a bit of a name dropper, isn't she? "I knew Michael Jackson. I spent lots of time with Michael Jackson." Uh, good for you? Also, the "this is the best moment of my career" comment after scoring on Monday's show kinda bugged a bit. Really? Dancing With the Stars? I mean, I'm glued to my TV every Monday when it's on, but it's a sparkly reality show. If that truly is your greatest career moment, I feel sorry for you.

Maureen's had ... a very up and down life. I picked up her biography recently, and I really do think what we see here is her. Even in her book she's frantic and neurotic and overemotional and high maintenance. She did a lot of questionable things after The Brady Bunch ended (honestly, it got very repetitive to read about her cycles with drug abuse and bad relationships, and even a pretty volatile relationship with her husband). She lives very passionately, for better or worse, and I'd completely believe that right now this the best moment of her career because so much of her career was overshadowed or colored by her time as Marcia Brady. Given the stories she tells in her book (she doesn't really hold much back), I'm genuinely surprised she didn't end up in a much worse place, or even dead. (Also, for what it's worth, her book corroborates the story of her knowing MJ well.)

Edited by McManda
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, kitcloudkicker said:

This is the full video for Derek's collaboration with Lindsey Stirling 

Omg this is terrible. I'm so upset because I know he filmed another one of these with Chantel Aguirre I hope it's not this bad because I love her.

23 hours ago, McManda said:

From this post in the Media thread: (I'd quote directly, but the formatting goes all wonky, so...)

"Talent trumps cheap thrills. I hope America recognizes the difference." Followed by, "Glad to be apart of a classy show that isn't about male stripping. Oh wait we still do that on this show." Val responded with "Boy you better stay away from those male strippers then."

People were speculating it was about the male pro number, which I might understand, except I thought the male pro number was classy. No stripping ... or anything akin to stripping, really. 

Maureen's had ... a very up and down life. I picked up her biography recently, and I really do think what we see here is her. Even in her book she's frantic and neurotic and overemotional and high maintenance. She did a lot of questionable things after The Brady Bunch ended (honestly, it got very repetitive to read about her cycles with drug abuse and bad relationships, and even a pretty volatile relationship with her husband). She lives very passionately, for better or worse, and I'd completely believe that right now this the best moment of her career because so much of her career was overshadowed or colored by her time as Marcia Brady. Given the stories she tells in her book (she doesn't really hold much back), I'm genuinely surprised she didn't end up in a much worse place. (Also, for what it's worse, her book collaborates the story of her knowing MJ well.)

Regarding Derek's response:  As many have said, Derek is passive aggressive. He wants what he wants but does not ever want to deal with the consequences of his words or actions.PAs are sneaky and manipulative and often hiding something. They are truly my least favorite kind of people.

Val's reply is hilarious .

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 9

I fast forwarded though Derek's performance and yes I'm not a fan. 

The proposal was adorable but damn you guys at this point, what pros aren't dating each other/getting engaged/married/having babies? And the dance world is small because of kys not within the DWTS cast they're probably on the SYTYCD cast. 

I'm indifferent towards Babyface but I'm sad about Vanilla Ice. I enjoyed him and he always seemed to be having a blast.

• Love 6

I'm barely watching the show, but I just have to comment on a couple of things.

Emma's been hinting at marriage.  I recently read an interview she did and she was throwing all kinds of hints out there.  So, I'm sure Sasha knew.  And why not do it on the show?  They're used to public proposals on there. Hell, the producers probably suggested it.

And with Derek running in?  The three of them are close.  Very close.  So, he was just happy for his friends.  What was he supposed to do?  Wait until everyone else had congratulated them?  Man, people just want to complain about anything Derek does.

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Addition to Random Thoughts by Callaphera:

I could be very wrong here but didn't Maureen used to date Michael Jackson? I can't be bothered to google but I'm sure I read it somewhere. Anyway back to the show, I knew the male pros were far more popular than the female pros but wow four male celebs gone in a row. Is it just me who doesn't find it coincidental that this has happened the season we got rid of Tony and Keo? Both of them were by far the weak links of the male pro lineup and the standard is so much higher without them. Plus all of the male pros have fanbases of their own bar Gleb. Marilu and Amber I think would both be gone by now if they didn't have an army of Derek and Maks fans pulling them through.

2 hours ago, Saytura said:

I think Sasha and Emma were together again at the point, but the showmance between Alek and Emma was played up for the cameras.  I remember one of the gossip outlets talking about Emma's unnamed boyfriend.  They've been together something like five years with a short break a few years ago, but they've only been really public about it since late last year.

Emma and Sasha have been a couple for years, as you mentioned, and they've always been open about it.  I think they ran a dance studio together, and they were always posting pics on IG and supporting each other on Twitter, and they even lived with Tristan and his girlfriend (now wife) the year(s) they were all on the show together.  They had broken up right before the season with Alek and his "crush" on Emma, but obviously that didn't last.  

I thought it was a sweet moment.  Too bad Mr. Attention-Seeker had to run in and be part of the picture.  

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

Man, people just want to complain about anything Derek does.

I enjoy Derek. Not a crazy fan or anything, but he is talented.  Now Maks on the other hand, can go away and not come back. They indulged Maks last week so it was Derek's turn this week.

I don't think Derek thinks it's "his show". But we know Maks does, he has actually said it !

• Love 5

I'm actually very sorry to see Vanilla Ice go. I've enjoyed his performances (and that is really saying something, given how I wasn't a fan of his back in the day). I think he should have stayed a little longer over some of the others. I would have been fine with Jana being voted out. She hasn't really made an impact on me as a viewer, one way or the other.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 5

Ah geez. What were Emma & Sash supposed to do, stand there and gaze into each other's eyes and have a moment of silence? Derek, Sasha, and Emma are best buds and hang out together a lot, quite often with Hayley. I'm sure he was genuinely thrilled, and it was very appropriate he was the first one there.

I loved his tapping, that was new. Who was the little firecracker he tango'd with?

I think maybe the male pros left their shirts on after Derek's tweets. I will boo him for that.

Speaking of which, I so hope he's still here for Halloween group week. I love his group dances.

Will forget that Babyface and VI were there in a couple of weeks. But they both had their moments. 

• Love 1

Sounds to me like Derek's tweet was passive aggressive snark towards Maks' and Val's dance last week.  It was a little stripperish when they brought the lady out of the audience and danced with her.  Especially Maks' opening her legs, etc.  Seems like Derek was getting in a little jab about how his number was more classy than theirs hence Val's response.  

Not a fan of people tweeting and then deleting personally.  And no, I'm not a Derek "hater", just an opinion. 

• Love 6

I would be thrilled, delighted, ecstatic if some of the female pros would start passive aggressive tweeting about Mandy Moore's repetitive bump 'n grind choreography for the women.  Actually, I'd be deliriously happy if some of the male pros did some PA tweeting about that.  I'd become a fan of them for life.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, McManda said:

I love Val.

I'm sort of shocked at what Derek wrote.  I don't like him for all of the reasons folks have discussed here, but I never knew he was so blatant and sanctimonious, and yes, passive-aggressive.  The stripper and cheap thrills wording kinda puts Julianne's comment in a better perspective.  The Houghs can leave (please!) if they find the show too raunchy.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I post very seldom but I am really tired of the "golden boy" hate. I really like Derek and enjoy his dancing! Throw in a little drumming for variety and it was fun. Last week with Maks and Val, I didn't post that I disliked it but I did. For those who like them...well, Maks, I like Val....it was probably a fine performance but for me it was uncomfortable with the lady they dragged on the stage. In tonight's performance, there were a lot of terrific dancers and dance was highlighted not just Derek! I loved the variety in the dance and the section with Derek and the female dancer(sorry, don't know who it was) was breath-taking. I can't understand why folks can't just watch the performances and enjoy the dancing...I surely liked Derek's dance tonight much more than some unknown singer singing for whatever reason.

And you know, believe it or not, I think Derek was really happy for Sasha and Emma!

Try being a fan of Allison's.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

Try being a fan of Allison's.  

The difference being, I don't think people ever rag on Alison as a person, just that she's a bad for as a pro for this show. 

Just in this thread alone there's hate toward Derek on a person level, beyond his capabilities as a dancer and a teacher. I know I was the one that brought over discussion of his tweets, but I did so in reference to which dance he might have been talking about, not to make it a discussion of his character. Between that and all the assumptions that Derek was the first on the floor to congratulate Emma and Sasha was somehow related to his ego ... this thread is overwhelmingly anti-Derek and it's not a new thread on this forum. 

• Love 4

The DWTS social media actually posted videos of the proposal from a different angle, and you see Tom signaling the cast to rush the stage. Because, TV.

I kind of hate myself for semi defending Derek. 

The show was half of last week's, and we got way more jidges post-dance remarks and way fewer real-time remarks during performance.    This was exactly backwards and turrible!  Don't repeat what we already saw/heard if you are short on time!  Basic.

James was in jeopardy just about as much as Sasha was going to get a "No."   TPTB manipulation.  In this case though, I'm glad James is the recipient.   

I guffawed when Derek lost a drum stick.  I was very disappointed we got a significant portion of the presentation on digital-playback, with FX.  If the show wants to go with full-on digital re-production, so be it.  Just be honest about it.

Didja see Erin in terror when she realized her "fur" remark could end up causing "a thing?"  Girl understands media.  She really does.

Ameriker got it just right this week.   

• Love 1