Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E07: Week 4: The Results

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Callaphera said:

Random thoughts:

Did they have a "She said NO!" graphic ready and sad trombone music cued up if the proposal didn't go well?

this is what I think every time I see public proposals and then paper signs or graphics lol

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

this is what I think every time I see public proposals and then paper signs or graphics lol

Tom actually made a joke about how it was good she said yes, because they didn't have a "she said no" graphic at the ready. (Maybe the producers could have piped in a Price is Right losing horn. Whamp whamp wamp waaaaaaa)

Though, really, she was not going to say no. Those two have been getting extra gross lately (in an adorable way.) This is a super recent piece on a house they just bought together, they talk marriage towards the end. Kind of fun to watch Sasha's "maybe soon?" reaction considering he probably had already planned the proposal.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Sugaree said:

So annoyed that Derek had to intrude on the proposal moment.

hmmm, I thought it was getting a little long that they were looking into each other's eyes, Derek kind of broke the ice for everyone to come and congratulate them. 

• Love 1

I usually detest public proposals, but in this case (because I knew that they had been discussing it and the answer was not being blackmailed out of her by a public display), being Sasha and Emma who are both so sweet, I was kinda verklempt along with Bruno.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, crowceilidh said:

I usually detest public proposals, but in this case (because I knew that they had been discussing it and the answer was not being blackmailed out of her by a public display), being Sasha and Emma who are both so sweet, I was kinda verklempt along with Bruno.

Tom was also wiping away tears. :)

• Love 1

Kinda funny that Derek was tweet-complaining "Glad to be a part of a classy show that isn't about male stripping" when he went all "male stripper" during his private performance. Sad to see Vanilla go when every time I look at Jana and Gleb I think, "Who?" Hopefully, it's next week and out for them. And the public proposal ... I hate them, too. Hate. I did like the Mandy Moore Man Dance this week. Why can't she choreograph something equally good for the women? Force yourself to see women as something other than sex objects, Mandy. Meanwhile, I continue to like Val more and more and Maks less and less. Maks is getting as me-centric as Derek, which is not a good look.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

The stripper and cheap thrills wording kinda puts Julianne's comment in a better perspective.  The Houghs can leave (please!) if they find the show too raunchy.  

(sings): I love cheap thrills! (sorry, had to!)

9 hours ago, McManda said:

... this thread is overwhelmingly anti-Derek and it's not a new thread on this forum. 

I think it's because Derek pretty much dominates the show every time he's on. He wins practically every other show, his teams win almost all the dance offs (I think the last one he was in two years ago was the ONLY time his group didn't win), and he gets a lot of solo dances. We get it, he's good. He's great, he's amazingly talented. But he's TOO good. He needs to do other things, like last year when he was choreographing a Broadway show. He needs to do that,. not stay here. It's no fun if the same person wins every other show.

That's why a lot of us are glad he's having so much trouble with Marilu Henner. He's finally got a partner that's an actual challenge to him!

• Love 5

I think the right people went home. Neither was going to get much better, and there's something vaguely "off" about Vanilla Ice that's been bugging me all season. Can't quite put my finger on it, maybe it's just that he doesn't feel genuine. At this point Maureen, Marilu and Amber are all still cannon fodder. Probably Jana too, I don't know what her fanbase is like.

• Love 1

I thought Babyface looked like a contender on the first episode. I wonder what happened. And I guess I'm one of the few people here who likes Allison, so I didn't want to see her go.

Ugh, it should have been Marcia and Lochte!

• Love 1

Just watching results now:

Sweet seeing Sasha propose to Emma.  Not a fan of public proposals but Emma has mentioned in recent interviews that they've been talking about it and she was clearly wanting to get engaged, so Emma's answer was already known by Sasha.  Since they're BOTH a part of the show, I think it was okay to propose on the show for all the fans to see.

Of course Derek had to rush out ahead of everyone...gotta be first!  (Did he actually try to lift them?)   I'm puzzled by earlier comments excusing Derek by saying he, Emma and Sasha were such close friends. When did that happen?  Yes, during Emma/Sasha's house reveal on ET she did say that Derek and Hayley have been over to visit.  But before this season, Derek was known to keep to himself except for official DWTS gatherings, mid-season parties, etc.  The only person he'd hang with was Mark and more recently dating Hayley.   In fact Tony said Derek won't even acknowledge a hellos when passing in the rehearsal hallways.  (No, I don't hate the guy!)  It seems he's made more of an effort to be sociable this season since Mark is gone.

With all the time-wasting on this show, they had to rush Babyface out?

The men's dance - surely that wasn't what the Derek/Val tweets were about.  I saw nothing wrong or "stripper-ish" about that dance. In fact it was remarkably tame for a Mandy creation. (Not a fan of Travis who was singing in that piece. I think that was also him singing (badly) Just The Way You Are for Sasha & Emma.)

Derek's vanity project - he's just got to show off all the things he can do.  In all the instagrams he's posted on the preps for this dance, I didn't see any with 1 drumstick and 1 hand. I think the stick flew out of his hand and he improvised.  It was interesting but I didn't get what the overall theme or story was. It reminded me of the resume reels that many choreographers put on youtube to show all their projects.  Derek tweeted something about creating more youtube "art pieces", so I guess this is just the first of many to come.

My cable went out for 11 minutes so I don't know what happened.  What is it with Time Warner and ABC? Are they feuding or something?  Constantly getting freezes, pixelation, etc. just on ABC.

It was nice that Julianne did say something kind to Amber "privately" (while mic'd).

A one hour results is about right IMO. Enough time for a few pro performances, music performances and some video interviews like what the pros go through each week.  Anyway sorry to see both Babyface and Vanilla Ice go.  Babyface wasn't going to advance - I wish he'd gotten a different pro.  I like Allison, but  this is just not her kinda playground.  Vanilla was entertaining, so I'm sorry to see him go so soon.  I'm not sure if Artem looked happy or not about being safe.

Also, what in the world is Vanilla Ice doing these days that causes him to have a schedule, period, let alone a schedule that interferes with him being on a reality show? 

I know he hosts a reality show on some HGTV knockoff network, but a couple weeks ago they said he was doing a concert, and I wondered who still goes to Vanilla Ice concerts?? The only thing I could think of is that there's some sort of 80's/90's nostalgia tour with old bands and groups from that era performing in sets. I just can't imagine enough people running out to buy Vanilla Ice concert tickets to fill up even the smallest arena.

GUYS this is a thread about the show Dancing With the Stars and what happens on the show. Full stop. I have already mod noted about this and no more discussion about anyone's behavior NOT on the show is irrelevant. If your post is missing it's because I hid a bunch of discussion about things not on this show. If you want to PM me about your post I have the text if you want to repost without the offtopic content.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Sugaree said:

So annoyed that Derek had to intrude on the proposal moment.

THANK YOU. He'll do anything to get his mug on-camera, won't he? I turned to my husband and said, "I'm confused. Did Derek get engaged? Why is he out there?"

• Love 2

I expect Derek was so quickly on the scene because he is close with Sasha and Emma and knew what Sasha was planning.  Not being taken by surprise like everyone else was, he was anticipating the proposal and eager to get to them to celebrate with them.  Being happy for one's friends is a Good Thing.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Uke said:

I'm puzzled by earlier comments excusing Derek by saying he, Emma and Sasha were such close friends. When did that happen?

Derek and Sasha have been close at least since they worked together closely during the Nastia season. Derek and Emma have known each other forever, Emma always tags Derek as #family (along with usually Mark/BC and Julz Tocker, who seem to be a core group from growing up dancing together.) And Sasha and Hayley seem pretty tight since they were in troupe together, and I think he has worked with her on her ballroom training pretty regularly. That's formed them into a pretty tight foursome, especially through the summer. You actually catch it more if you follow Sasha and Emma on SM, as Derek is more private about his personal relationships. But for example:

I don't dislike Derek, but the drumming was a bit of a.... "AND LOOK! I CAN DRUM TOO!!!" moment. It seemed sort of disjointed from the dance performance. 

I find myself rooting for Maureen. She's fragile and dramatic, for sure, but it's refreshing to see a 60 y/o female celebrity who isn't all injected with fillers and surgically enhanced.  

• Love 2

I think it's TPTB that want sexy dances from the pros.  The mens' pro dance accomplished that but there was no stripping and there were actual ballroom moves.  That's what should be done with the female pro dances instead of the bump and grind stripper moves.  My daughter, who does do ballroom, does not watch this show regularly because the celebrity dances are usually not very good.  She did happen to catch the female dance last week as she was passing by.  She said that they didn't do anything which I did agree with.   This gives her more of a reason to never watch the show.

Derek's dance this week was entertaining and well done but I agree with others that said it was self indulgent.

• Love 1