Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

I like the movies too , if I'm scrolling thru cable channels and it's on - I'm bound to watch again . 

Cuz of the PTv review I tuned in tonite and have to say so far I like it.  Damon wayans ( murtagh) & actor I don't know ( Riggs ) are good together . Damon wayans looks so good it's hard to see him as the gruffly older about retire guy lol.  I'm gonna stick with it for now 

there were a few scenes where I teared up - surprised how much I liked the pilot ?

Edited by DNR
Ninja edit
  • Love 11

I love the actors playing Mr and Mrs Murtaugh. The guy playing Riggs is just... blah.  And i think they made more suicide references in 42 minutes than the original movie did in two hours.  Kind of anvil-ly.  But not bad for a car chase  shoot 'em up show.

I went into this determined not to like it on principle. I loved the movie franchise and loved the chemistry between Danny Glover and Mel Gibson and didn't think this could live up to the films it is based upon.

But, damn it, I did like it. Damon Wayans and...is it Chase Crawford?...also have a nice buddy vibe and I like that the general premise translated well. Even had some car chases and explosions! I'm just sad we'll never get to hear, "I'm too old for this shit!" on broadcast TV, but that's a minor thing.

I love the series kept Riggs' trailer and just the overall bleak yet funny vibe.

I hope it stands a chance. If it does, it'll be interesting to see going forward what the series uses from the films and what it will ditch.

Seeing Shane Black's name in the credits also helped with the confidence that he will make sure this stays on track.

If there was a weak link, it was Jordana Brewster's shrink character. She is no Dr. Stephanie Woods from the films. The late Mary Beth Trainor did a great job with such a minor role. I wasn't feeling Brewster at all.

Otherwise, I'll keep watching! Until Fox likely cancels it. Sigh.

• Love 7

I loved it. I liked the easy chemistry between Martin and Rodger. And I loved that Mrs. Murtaugh was being kind to Martin. 

I hope Fox gives this show a chance. It looks lkke a good time.

I didnt mind the sucide references, but I liked that Rodger just finally asked him about it at the end. If you're going to be partners in a job that risks their lives, you better know their life outlook.  And you know Rodger is now going to  keep that in mind every time they're down on the count.

• Love 3

The two leads have great chemistry which is vital for this to work.   The funny parts were funny and the sweet parts were sweet.

i think my favorite part though was Rigg's "people like choices" speech he gave to the bad guys.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7

I loved it! This is the first new show I've tried this season and actually enjoyed. Originally, I wasn't sure about the casting, and almost didn't bother to give it a chance, but I'm so happy I did. The two leads have great chemistry and I really enjoyed the show. I can't wait until next week!

That was a lot better than I thought it was going to be.  The leads have charisma and chemistry with each other.  I always enjoyed the movies until Mel Gibson revealed himself as a a bigoted ass. So if Fox keeps this show around for a while I can enjoy this universe again.

• Love 5

Chace is super-yummy, and I usually like Damon in anything.  

It bugged slightly that they changed Riggs's wife's name (IIRC...it was Victoria in the film, and that just seemed a weird thing not to keep consistent), and I agree that Jordana seems more cast as love-interest-potential than antagonist.

I'm willing to give this a try.  Any show with Kevin Rahm is worth some devotion!  Just hope they don't go to the psycho ex-soldier well too often.

5 hours ago, TimetoShine said:

I'm enjoying this one and I'm glad too. Definitely worth skipping Blindspot for.

A colonic is worth skipping blindspot for.

I actually enjoyed this but a few things stick out.

What McG's 's obsession with the color orange. Everything he does is so orangey.

This doesn't need to be lethal weapon which is why remakes bugs. I did genuinely like the pilot but nothing around Riggs and Murtaugh is the same. It could be any cop show.

I'm so fucking tired of the out of nowhere semi/truck hit. Alias did it the best like a decade ago. It's not surprising to me anymore. Too overplayed.

I hate to say this because there isn't anything actually wrong with it but something about the show/casting feels real calculated. Roger's wife must be a bigger focus/deal because it's 2016. She can't just be a housewife. Plenty of female cops. Super diverse casting. Nothing wrong with it at all but sometimes it feels like shows are trying to make sure they check off boxes.

• Love 1

Solid first ep. Surprisingly so. I loved the films and went in really skeptical that I would like the show, or warm up to the new leads. By the end I was committed to give it a chance.

The films were special for me because they did a lot right, knew what they did right, and kept doing it right in every sequel. It inspired a lot of audience loyalty. Shows based off of movies walk a difficult path, because they need to hit some of the same notes, but ultimately find their own voice. I was left moderately hopeful this show can do that. But then again, I thought Rush Hour had potential and they cancelled that fast.

That baby was freaking adorable, btw.

• Love 2

It wasn't great but I think it has potential. I liked this Martin Riggs but did anyone think he had a weird voice? I loved everything about the friendship and the family embrace of Martin (though I guess in this version the daughter won't have a crush)  but I didn't like the lamo chase / action scenes. Sometimes these shows feel like they are using them to stall.  I am not sure how this series can make this work for any long period of time. 

The car chases gave me the vibe of one of those car action shows from an amusement park. That said, I did enjoy the show and will stick with it for a while. I totally tuned in because of Clayne Crawford, who does a wonderful job in Rectify making me care about a character that could easily be a complete douchebag with a lesser actor.

• Love 3

This was decent enough. the leads have nice, believable chemistry, although this Clayne Crawford is no Mel Gibson in his prime - not enough charisma and presence, but decent enough. I'm gonna stay with it for a while myself, see where it leads. I would assume that the police psychologist played by Jordana Brewster is going to be Rigg's love interest unless they introduce a Rene Russo character down the line - maybe in the second part of the season or in season two, if the show survives till then.

I'm surprised I liked it. And I'm doubly surprised that the actor playing Riggs didn't bug me. Well, except for one thing: His hair. And, along those lines, some guys can pull off the stubble: he can't. I quickly add that those aren't reasons to cancel the show.

Much, much better than the premier of NCIS: NOLA.

• Love 1

And much, MUCH better the that Rush Hour abomination from last year.

1 minute ago, Raja said:

Love interest? They didn't time jump it has only been six months since Riggs lost his wife and unborn child.

Come on, this is tv. You know it will happen down the line. MAy not be a serious thing, may only be a tease for this first season, but it will happen.

• Love 1

I hope no love interest any time soon and

Spoiler

Actor who plays Riggs agrees. He said in an interview that prefer the writers kill either him or the love interest if that ever happens.

(Not really a spoiler but related to the love interest topic.)

• Love 1

Also, there be a lot of theories as to who will be used from the movies character wise but the characters on this show minus Roger and Riggs barely relate to the movies so I'm not looking for the likes of Getz and company anytime soon. This feels like Lethal Weapon in concept only.

If Riggs is going to keep on smart-mouthin' bad guys and begging them to shoot him, well, then I hope they do.  Because I got tired of that crap right at the start, before he was done with the pizza boxes.  

PLEASE tell me we won't have to put up with sad-cop/mad-cop Riggs making plans like "Let him kill me, then you kill him!" on a regular basis.  That isn't a sustainable character trait.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Morgan of Hed said:

I caught about 10 minutes of it starting with the warehouse of super cars and into the ridiculous chase scene that ended in the F1 race. Couldn't take anymore. I'm not sure what show our fearless recapper was watching, the one I saw was horrible.

I will say I came close to turning off right there but for my money, it got better after that. Give it another shot. You missed Rogers insanely adorable infant daughter making insanely adorable infant gestures to Riggs.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Also, there be a lot of theories as to who will be used from the movies character wise but the characters on this show minus Roger and Riggs barely relate to the movies so I'm not looking for the likes of Getz and company anytime soon. This feels like Lethal Weapon in concept only.

Sorry but the character of Leo was a big part of the movie franchise and a big part of the Murtaugh and Riggs dynamic since he showed up in the second movie.

I forgot it premiered and missed it. I've been hesitant to watch because I hated Clayne Crawford's character in Rectify and thoughtJunior WAS a douche and he's just wrong for Martin. I also watched the movies- A LOT- as a teen and adult. *

I LOATHE Jordana Brewster Skeletor, so that's two strikes.  BUT- I've always enjoyed Damon Wayons as an actor, so...I don't know if I want to watch.

*Haven't watched since Mel went Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs or any of these movies since.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

his wife's name in the movies is Victoria Lynn Riggs.

Shane Black despite having a writing credit said he has nothing to do with this show nor does he want to. He said he is friends with the people making it and wishes them luck but a watered down TV show isn't something he is interested in. 

Not sure if he changed his mind last minute or they are just giving him a credit as a sign of respect for creating the characters.  Although the characters that ended up onscreen via Mel and Danny were very different than the ones he had created originally.

Edited by Unclejosh
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Sorry but the character of Leo was a big part of the movie franchise and a big part of the Murtaugh and Riggs dynamic since he showed up in the second movie.

I forgot it premiered and missed it. I've been hesitant to watch because I hated Clayne Crawford's character in Rectify and thoughtJunior WAS a douche and he's just wrong for Martin. I also watched the movies- A LOT- as a teen and adult. *

I LOATHE Jordana Brewster Skeletor, so that's two strikes.  BUT- I've always enjoyed Damon Wayons as an actor, so...I don't know if I want to watch.

*Haven't watched since Mel went Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs or any of these movies since.

Nothing to be sorry for. I don't care whether or not they put Leo in. I'm saying beyond Murtaugh being near retirement and Riggs being suicidal, this is a whole other show. So, I'm not holding my breathe to see more of the recognizable characters. They could easily make Leo their eyes on the street type character but who knows.

• Love 1

This is going to live or die depending on the what happens the next few episodes.  I didn't think shows like Rizzoli & Isles,. Castle or Bones had much staying power but they managed to truck on in large part due to the supporting cast.  

Murtoch's family drama,. Why he never went up the ladder, his wife and kids may even get a story here and there.   I've loved Jordana Brewster ever since D.E.B.S. (she will have my everlasting and true true love for that little gem) and she will with play antagonist or love interest to the Briggs and I am willing to go either way on that one.  

Hobestky this smells like an action procedurals and those live and die by the supporting cast.  The pilot introduced is to the main players but I don't think we have been introduced to quite everyone or everything just yet.  If we have I doubt the show will last the season.   It just can't..

• Love 3
9 hours ago, tanita said:

This was decent enough. the leads have nice, believable chemistry, although this Clayne Crawford is no Mel Gibson in his prime - not enough charisma and presence, but decent enough. I'm gonna stay with it for a while myself, see where it leads. I would assume that the police psychologist played by Jordana Brewster is going to be Rigg's love interest unless they introduce a Rene Russo character down the line - maybe in the second part of the season or in season two, if the show survives till then.

I definitely see it, but in my head I'd prefer the lady cop who had a few lines. 

11 minutes ago, Watermelon said:

I definitely see it, but in my head I'd prefer the lady cop who had a few lines. 

Since this is a reboot, it doesn't preclude that cop from being Lorna. Assuming Lorna (and/or Leo) will show up.

13 hours ago, BooBear said:

It wasn't great but I think it has potential. I liked this Martin Riggs but did anyone think he had a weird voice? I loved everything about the friendship and the family embrace of Martin (though I guess in this version the daughter won't have a crush)  but I didn't like the lamo chase / action scenes. Sometimes these shows feel like they are using them to stall.  I am not sure how this series can make this work for any long period of time. 

It's not as weird as it used to be. I remember him guest starring on Roswell many moons ago.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Oh man, they had to make it hard on me: I've adored Clayne in everything I've ever seen him in, and Jordana is one of the few actors I can honestly say I can't stand (her one emotion in everything seems to be: smug). Hopefully they focus on the partnership instead of the potential love interest or I'll be doing a lot of fast forwarding. 

Damon and Clayne are great together, though, and I always like Kevin Rahm. I've never seen Keesha in anything, but I like her too. 

4 out of 5 ain't bad? 

• Love 1

Never saw the movie, but the opening was horrific. Maybe that was part of the movie plot as well, but I didn't see it coming. I screamed when the truck hit her.

31 minutes ago, deaja said:

Never saw the movie, but the opening was horrific. Maybe that was part of the movie plot as well, but I didn't see it coming. I screamed when the truck hit her.

I have seen - and own - the franchise (four movies total in a Blu-Ray set). Mel Gibson's Riggs was just as tortured and suicidal over the loss of his wife (named Victoria in the movie; no idea why the name change to Miranda here), but she was already dead when the movie started. So that wasn't in the movie. Although Riggs being nuts and having a death wish most definitely was.

And I realize Mel Gibson the man is now an asshole, but if you can separate actor from character, I urge you to see the movie, at least the original one! It is a great one if you like action. Or buddy comedy/dramas.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, I-Kare said:

Oh man, they had to make it hard on me: I've adored Clayne in everything I've ever seen him in, and Jordana is one of the few actors I can honestly say I can't stand (her one emotion in everything seems to be: smug). Hopefully they focus on the partnership instead of the potential love interest or I'll be doing a lot of fast forwarding. 

Damon and Clayne are great together, though, and I always like Kevin Rahm. I've never seen Keesha in anything, but I like her too. 

I feel the same way, I love Clayne, I find him adorable.

I actually was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. Clayne and Wayans had great chemistry, I love that they just met and he's already calling him Rog LOL. I liked Keesha Sharp as Trish as well. And that baby was just all kinds of cute!! I think this will work if they focus on the partnership first and then maybe down the line, if there is a season 2, have the love interest. The best part about the movies was their partnership.

I totally saw it coming but I did jump when that guy got hit by the bus.

• Love 2

I recorded this on a whim, not expecting to like it, and I just set up the season to record. I really liked it, everyone had great chemistry (except Jordana Brewster, but I can't stand her, so I'm biased), and it moved along at a good pace. I ditched Blindspot last season, so this will fit in nicely.

• Love 2

I loved all the dramatic scenes (Riggs was especially good) and hated all the jackanapppery (Riggs was especially annoying) so my feelings are decidedly mixed. It definitely has potential though.

Edited by derriere
1 hour ago, derriere said:

I loved all the dramatic scenes (Riggs was especially good) and hated all the jackanapppery (Riggs was especially annoying) so my feelings are decidedly mixed. It definitely has potential though.

what the hell is jackanappery? 

• Love 1

In movie canon, Mrs. Riggs was killed by apartheid era South African drug dealing diplomats in a "traffic accident". However, she was not the intended target - Martin was.  Leo was a money laundering material witness. Not sure who Leo can be working for now....

• Love 1

I really really loved this and I'm completely shocked! I list the original up there as one of my favorite movies (and one of my favorite Christmas movies!) and I really expected to hate this just based on that, but man I did NOT. I can't wait to see more and I hope it gets a second season! 

• Love 4