Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

51 minutes ago, paigow said:

In movie canon, Mrs. Riggs was killed by apartheid era South African drug dealing diplomats in a "traffic accident". However, she was not the intended target - Martin was.  Leo was a money laundering material witness. Not sure who Leo can be working for now....

I really hope they skip that canon. I always thought it took something away from the story to have it be some criminal conspiracy. Sometimes bad things just happen to good people and it isn't because their husband is a cop.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Last Time Lord said:

Did he? I thought it was a "Based on" credit, which as this strictly speaking is an adaptation, he is required to have under WGA Rules.

Honestly I didn't see the credit, I am only going off what others have said.  If that is the case then yes I agree.  I read a review that said it was a co-writing credit.

I really, really enjoyed the pilot. Damon Wayans has long been a favorite of mine, and I now have a crush on Clayne Crawford, ridiculous hair notwithstanding. Their chemistry was great. The action scenes were ludicrous, but for me they work in the buddy cop action show genre. And Murtaugh's baby, with her baby belly laugh, was just the cutest. 

The only off part for me was the shouty captain. I like that actor though, so I'll let it settle in a little.  

So far this week, this and Pitch had the only pilots I really just sat and watched, no distractions, no internet surfing, etc. Color me surprised. 

• Love 3

Okay, I watched it and it...didn't keep my attention. BUT, I have to ask: was it just me, or did Clayne's Riggs some hick Southern type accent? Because that, right away, took me out of the episode.

But, I like Damon Wayans, so I may continue to watch. Like, after I've watched all my shows, and am bored and there's nothing else on television.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Okay, I watched it and it...didn't keep my attention. BUT, I have to ask: was it just me, or did Clayne's Riggs some hick Southern type accent? Because that, right away, took me out of the episode.

But, I like Damon Wayans, so I may continue to watch. Like, after I've watched all my shows, and am bored and there's nothing else on television.

Riggs is from Texas, so yes on the hick accent

• Love 1
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, that seemed to be a change to accommodate Crawford's twang, which is fine by me. That said, I think movie Riggs was a native of L.A.!

The thing I got out of that whole storyline was Rigg's wife's dad being the city attorney and (1) arrainging for Riggs to be partnered with Roger and (2) having someone that can intervene and keep Riggs on the job. That was a stroke of genius to make his father in law someone who can get him out of trouble. That makes things slighly more believeable. 

• Love 14

I decided to watch for Keesha Sharp, and probably staying for the adorable baby.  Whoever the twins/multiples are playing the baby daughter were casting gems.  

I barely remember the films, so wasn't invested in Riggs and Murtaugh. I assume they'll dial back on Riggs' schtick - as others have stated, that'll get really old very quickly on a TV show. I assume Riggs is supposed to look unkempt because of the grief, but I kept mentally willing him to take a shower and do laundry. Nothing sexy about reeking of booze and weed.  Fingers crossed for future episodes.     

• Love 1
On 9/21/2016 at 10:52 PM, Racj82 said:

I'm so fucking tired of the out of nowhere semi/truck hit. Alias did it the best like a decade ago. It's not surprising to me anymore. Too overplayed.

See also Dollhouse 1x06 "Man on the Street". You don't see or hear the crash and the story of it is relayed by Patton Oswalt regarding a wife we never even see but y'all know Joss Whedon knows how to bring the pain.

On 9/23/2016 at 9:20 AM, Watermelon said:

what the hell is jackanappery? 

Well, first you start with a nappery...

All in all I'd say the show is off to a solid start. And was it just me or was there a bunch (a load?) of blowjob jokes? Fellow Fox show Lucifer is known for not being shy with the adult humor so it's interesting to see it appearing in other shows.

I liked Riggs. For a suicidal guy he sure knew how to turn on the charm. He had some great emotional moments too, like when he was holding Murtagh's baby.

I hope they abandon the trope of a Navy SEAL being a bullet sponge. Those dudes are tough, absolutely. Best of the best without a doubt. But that does not give them an immunity to bullets!

The Chief's name was Brooks Avery? Was that from the movies or a really weird reference to Avery Brooks, otherwise known as Capt. Sisko from DS9?

I watched this after watching the MacGyver reboot. I enjoyed MacGyver but will readily admit it belongs in the "low-hanging fruit" category for those of us who have little to no taste in entertainment. Lethal Weapon seems like it belongs in the "might actually be entertaining" category. We'll see.

• Love 1

Of all the new series, I enjoyed this one. It had me chuckling in spots. I didn't watch it to get serious drama. The evening news is for that. I just want something I can watch after a hard day. My brain is fried by that time so I can use some lite fare. Why must everything be serious and deep?

• Love 1
On 9/21/2016 at 11:09 PM, magdalene said:
On 9/22/2016 at 11:26 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

*Haven't watched since Mel went Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs or any of these movies since.

I always enjoyed the movies until Mel Gibson revealed himself as a a bigoted ass.

I was prejudiced against watching this in case Mel Gibson makes one cent off of it.   Then I read that some people thought it was a better ripoff than Rush Hour, so I decided to try it.   I really like the casting, a Wayans and a Swimfan swimteamer.   The stunts and special effects were pretty good, if impossible.  I don't think I'll keep watching it but it was pretty good.  So, is Mel Gibson going to make anything from this?

On 9/23/2016 at 6:45 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

BUT, I have to ask: was it just me, or did Clayne's Riggs some hick Southern type accent? Because that, right away, took me out of the episode.

You may be out of luck because I think this is the actor's accent - which I don't find unattractive.

• Love 2

I liked it well enough. But as someone who does actually follow F1 (ahem, Grand Prix) I had to roll my eyes at the racing scenes. That race would have been red-flagged faster than Riggs draws. Other than that it was a solid pilot and I like the chemistry between the leads. But as others have pointed out the suicidal cop routine will be hard to sustain for more than one season. Even the movies had to let it go at some point.

• Love 2
On 9/23/2016 at 9:21 AM, paigow said:

In movie canon, Mrs. Riggs was killed by apartheid era South African drug dealing diplomats in a "traffic accident". However, she was not the intended target - Martin was.  Leo was a money laundering material witness. Not sure who Leo can be working for now....

But spoiler alert 

Spoiler

that was all revealed in the second movie

On 9/25/2016 at 3:57 PM, MissLucas said:

Yeah, that too. Of course watching too many seasons of H50 has me convinced SEALS are indestructible.

Different times at the time of the movie the only SEAL in the public eye was Thomas Magnum and Detective Riggs was almost as indestructable, an ex US Army Special Forces soldier, like Rambo, who worked in the CIA Phoenix Program in Vietnam. While wiki says Sergeant Murtaugh was a paratrooper during Vietnam my memory was that he was a Cavalry trooper in the war's first large scale battle at Ia Drang Valley

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

While wiki says Sergeant Murtaugh was a paratrooper during Vietnam my memory was that he was a Cavalry trooper in the war's first large scale battle at Ia Drang Valley

Your memory is accurate. I just watched all movies, and Murtaugh told Riggs that he "owed" Hunsaker because Hunsaker save his life in Drang Valley by taking a bayonette in the chest for Roger. Hence Hunsaker wanting to find who murdered his daughter and to kill them.

• Love 1
On 9/26/2016 at 2:43 PM, Court said:

I expected to hate this and watched because I adore Keesha Sharp. I actually really enjoyed it.

It was interesting to me finding out they replaced Golden Brooks with her, but seeing the show now, it was a great decision.

5 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I wanted to like this but I have to say I enjoyed Rush Hour more.  This one is just too serious.

To be fair, the show had to re-establish Riggs, and his wife's death is what drove his madness/death wish. Perhaps with the pilot out of the way, things will loosen up.

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 0:52 AM, Racj82 said:

What McG's 's obsession with the color orange. Everything he does is so orangey.

I really like the main cast (including young James Spader-ish Kevin Rahm) and the dialogue was good, but I DESPISE the conceit of color filters over the camera lens and this had saturated yellow scenes, blue scenes, orange scenes.  Sometimes a mild/subliminal color tone variation can be helpful distinguishing time line or character perspective, but usually it's just the director saying:  Lookit me, so fucking artsy!  Uh-huh, bye Felicia.

(Recently the Point Break remake was entirely coated in deep rich blue, with little slivers of bright red or yellow accent--including the sweeping outdoor panoramas the plot relied on.  The whole thing took place in a SeaWorld aquarium.)

Whew.  /rant

Edited by candall