Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Meet the Parents

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Zella said:

Haha it's sad but true! My college roommate was into that. I thought it was an insult to death metal (which I'm not even a fan of.) 

She offered to download her vast Christian death metal collection onto my computer,  so I could "enjoy" it anytime.  I invented computer problems to get out of it.

What is it with death metal fanatics wanting to download stuff onto your computer? They seriously all do this.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Aja said:

What is it with death metal fanatics wanting to download stuff onto your computer? They seriously all do this.

LOL I had never thought of that, but yes, she isn't the only that has offered! 

What I never understood about my college roommate is she wasn't an unintelligent person, but she could not read people's body language or facial expressions and she also was curiously devoid of any insight into my interests. We lived together for 3 years, and 3 years after graduation, we're still friends. But she still recommends music and movies and shows to me that anybody else who is ever known me for five minutes would just know I wouldn't like. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Marigold said:

Wow!

jim Bob's return to TV and he was more obnoxious and horrible than ever.  He was so abrasive and awful. He was worse last night than all of 19K&C put together.  What a cocky and miserable jerk. 

wOk...do you think...(this is a stretch) that Jim Bob is actually picking up bad vibes from Jeremy and hates him because he is worried that Jeremy is some kinda creep????? Is this possible????  

I think JB doesn't like Jeremy because Jeremy teases him back instead of kissing his butt. It's a little more challenging for Boob to try to control a grown man. Especially one fueled by hormones. I am sure JB is all about who is most young and handsome and potent and all that ridiculous bullshit. Jeremy wins. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 11

I'm all over symphonic metal, but those Cookie Monster vocals of death metal last me a few bars when I accidentally land on it and I've got to shut off YouTube .  I imagine Christiam DM must sound equally bad...but hopefully it has less gory subject matter, not that anyone could make out the words to even know...

i wonder if Bin might decide to become a Christian death metal singer; his spoken word being almost unintelligible. Should be a good fit.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, CarolMK said:

I need to ask again, how exactly did Ben and Jessa get to know him if he lives in Texas? Online ministry support group or something like that? I've seen where Ben has stated he wants to become a minister, maybe he got in touch with Jeremy for advice.

Ben and Jessa were in San Antonio on Ben's "inner city" tour.  The friend they were supposed to hang out with was busy that night, so he sent them to Jeremy's who was having a church gathering at his house (really Tim Conway's house, the head pastor of the church that runs Jeremy's church plant) that night.  Ben and Jeremy stayed in contact.  Jeremy visited Arkansas a few times and showed up in the background last season.  Jeremy met Jinger during this time.  Then Jeremy and some of the Duggar's went on a mission trip in December together where he got to know Jinger even more.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I'm all over symphonic metal, but those Cookie Monster vocals of death metal last me a few bars when I accidentally land on it and I've got to shut off YouTube .  I imagine Christiam DM must sound equally bad...but hopefully it has less gory subject matter, not that anyone could make out the words to even know...

i wonder if Bin might decide to become a Christian death metal singer; his spoken word being almost unintelligible. Should be a good fit.

Same here! I like symphonic metal but can't stand the growling singing I associate with death metal.

From what I remember of what she let me listen to, it still sounded like an incoherent Cookie Monster growl singing, but the lyrics were tame and maybe even spiritual. At least that was the vibe I got. 

Edited to add: I'd love to hear Bin's Christian death metal. It'd probably make the crap my roommate made me listen to sound like Mozart.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, LocalGovt said:
  • Observations from this episode:
  • Did you guys see JimBo snooping in Jer's closet?  What did he expect to find in there?
  • JimBob's snarky comment to Jer, when he was talking about bartering:  "We get married next month, or I'm gone."  JimBob: "See ya, Jer!"
  • When Ginger was going up the escalator to catch her flight home...did you guys see the sneer JimBob threw over his shoulder to him?
  • JimBob dragging them all to the pawn shop....Jeremy's parents looked uncomfortable.
  • When JimBob was grilling Jeremy at the Mexican restaurant...Jeremy's mom looked displeased.

I don't think JimBob likes Jeremy.

Excuse the bullet points. I don't know how they got there, or how to get rid of them.

Sex doll?  Bong? 

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, Aja said:

I think it's because DM and similar genres receive very little air play, so it's mostly an underground/word of mouth following...I'll have to see if anyone I know would vol to share it with me...LOL

To get back on topic, was it just me, or was stunned Muffy's lack of empathy just written all over her face?  That poor woman was obviously miserable, so a two years married sheltered missionary is going to tell her she needs to stay with her jerk husband.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I think it's because DM and similar genres receive very little air play, so it's mostly an underground/word of mouth following...I'll have to see if anyone I know would vol to share it with me...LOL

Arwen, I know at least ten people who would send you all their music files TODAY. Without ever having met you. And then harass you for a detailed analysis of every guitar solo. And long e-mails about how exciting the band's four-day tour in 1992 was. Just say the word.

7 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Boy, Jim Bob's panties certainly are in a twist, lol.  Nice apartment for a single guy.   Nice couch but there is not enough room for all of us. Nice closet but it smells like dirty shoes.  Nice pawn shop but it's not filled with the kind of second hand crap I prefer.  Nice job but you'll be needing to get a second one to support my daughter. Nice town but it's so hot, wanna move to Arkansas?  Was there one thing he didn't criticize?  He's such an ass.  He is not in charge for once and he just can't stand it.   I love it!  

So much word. Jinger was making me cringer with the breathless "baaaaaaaaaaabe!" every three seconds, but holy shit, at least she was a gracious guest and appreciated the efforts Jeremy and his family made to entertain them.

• Love 10

I think part of the problem with Jim Bob and Jeremy is that they have the same sense of humor.  I don't find Jeremy that creepy.  I find most of his talking heads to come off as "Like me, like me!  Please somebody like me!"

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 6

Just finished the episode, all I think is...Daaaaamn Cringe needs a nice cold shower, like freezing cold. I can't even imagine what it feels like to be as horny as she's coming off on screen. 

Also, at one point Jeremy said the goal of courtships is to "be intentional about getting to know someone." Huh?! Color me confused about this whole mess. 

• Love 4

Fuzzysox says:  MeChelle is such a shameless hussie!!!!!

The thought of MeChelle crushing on the husbands minus Derick had a picture thought bubble pop into my head (its a curse I tell ya!).  Michelle clinging on barnacle style and dry humping Jer or Bin while JB tries to pry her hands off.  With her black knee high circulation hose and sturdy black shoes wrapped around his legs.  JB pries the hands off the legs go tighter.  It turns into a feat of strength.  My mind can be kinda warped sometimes.  I apologize for the visual.

• Love 11

poor Jill, she looks miserable. While standing on the porch with the big white baby she looked like she'd rather be doing anything but, the look on her face says she is totally over the missionary stint. She had no joy what so ever, I liked that she let Izzy interact with them tho :) 

• Love 5

The whole apartment visit was over-the-top awkward - with JinJer mashed together on the couch, the 'rents bookending them, watching them watch each other, with Jer's arm superglued around Jinge's shoulders, and her unable to stop gazing at him like she wanted to eat his head.  You just know JB wanted to forcibly remove Jeremy's arm (probably from his virginal daughter's untouched shoulders, preferably from Jer's body), but couldn't do it.  So instead the two men engaged in some alpha-male, verbal "sparring," if you will, which was as hilarious as it was useless.  Jeremy wins this round, and JB cannot deal.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 18

A few more thoughts: Things I remembered or occurred to me after reading your parts.

The string art was silly enough, although it might have been sweet if she had made it with say one of her sisters  Josie or Jordyn or her niece Kenzie etc.  However it was at least 100 times stupider that she couldn't find a hammer and had to hammer the nails in with a wrench (!!!) First all of don't all of the Duggar boys mainly do construction? Shouldn't there be at least 12 hammers in the house? And second of all, why not ask someone where the hammer is? Why use a wrench and I guess if she knew how to hammer the wrench might have worked better!

Jeremy's singing is nice, but the hymn he chose (which I know from church but can't remember which one) sung in that key at that tempo became dirge-like.  It doesn't have to sound like that!  Pick up the tempo and pick a different key. 

Michelle seemed to trying to be a buffer between JB and the Vuolos and seemed at time to be making excuses for him. I'm sure she would feel it disrespectful if she out and out apologized for him, but she seemed almost apologetic.  Hey JB, when Michelle thinks you've crossed the line, you might want to dial it back!

need to see more of Jeremy to make a decision. For all her silliness, Jinger is sweet (cloyingly) , but  clingy. However she isn't mean to him. I would be more annoyed or worried if he was lashing out at her or bullying her etc. They both seem to be attracted to each other. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 6

JimBob was a complete a** last night.  The way he was hanging onto to Jinger (or trying to anyway) really got on my nerves.  I remember when Jill was in Napal and she and Derick were walking on a PUBLIC street...JimBob ran to get between them so they wouldn't touch.  CRAZINESS!!  I mean what can they do on a public street for crying out loud, especially with her chastity-protecting father hanging around.

This 30-yr-old-man and 22-yr-old-woman couple cannot even HOLD HANDS!!  What is this madness?!!!

It is so obvious that they are attracted to each other and want to at least hold hands, but that's outside the "boundary".  I don't think Jeremy can even kiss her on the forehead when they embrace, excuse me "side" embrace.

When Jinger turned around on the escalator to look longingly at Jeremy, JimBob couldn't even give them that moment.  He's a step behind Jinger looking at Jeremy like he wants to kill him, afraid I guess that Jinger might blow a kiss or something.  JimBob and Michelle are both very sick parents, totally ill-equipped to raise children - period.

Jeremy is growing on me though.  I really don't think he has an ulterior motive.  I think he really loves Jinger at this point and thinks she will be a wonderful helpmate in his ministry.  Only time will tell if she will mature (nail art? please!) and truly grow into womanhood.

I am hoping that all the sappy and doe-eyed looks from Jinger are just for the camera.  Duggar courtship is about the only thing of interest on the show as they have nothing else to really capture an audience's attention.  Jessa didn't carry on that way because I really don't think she ever lovesd Ben.  Jill was kind of sappy at first, but she's so over the slovenly Derick.  Anna was that way with Josh as I recall. 

Jeremy and Jinger definitely do not need to live in Arkansas.

I just want them to be happy.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Well, judging by the one sample I've heard, Christian "punk" sounds a lot like "Donny and Marie Do Worship Songs." Wondering whether Christian "death metal" sounds like, oh, Pat and Debbie Boone?

1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I don't think Jeremy is creepy, either. And I like JD as well. He has accomplishments that I will never have, so no snark from me. I hope he is trying to encourage Joy to look beyond continuing to raise her mom's kids. 

I don't know. I got the feeling that the airplane thing was a 100-percent Nancy-driven FU Internetz. You know, just like the Jana the Builder and Jana's an Electrician episodes and the Jinger Flips Cars! arc. Not we've got Joy Flies Airplanes!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, drafan said:

OMG...Now I have the Eric Carmen song "Hungry Eyes" playing in my head, and one of my fave scenes from Dirty Dancing is consequently  ruined forever.

I read this as "the Eric Cartman song . . . " and was trying to imagine how "Hungry Eyes" would sound coming from him!

• Love 8

i agree. i think Michelle was trying to be the "buffer" between the Duggars and the Vuolos. I sensed that the Vuolos liked Jinger but were not impressed with Jim Bob.  Jim Bob was also a super ass on last night's episode so that did not help the relationship.  I don't like Jeremy because I think he is creepy, however, Jim Bob was obnoxious. I did enjoy jim Bob riding Jeremy and I LOVED Jeremy giving it back to Jim Bob. 

Jim Bob has a problem with men.

Seewalds? Disappeared.  Kellers? the Duggars own Anna. Vuoloas? Bad vibe there.  Only Derick's mom gets a break and that is because it is only Cathy; step dad checked out on the Duggar adventure and is not filmed etc.  If Derick's dad were alive, I bet Jim Bob would be unpleasant with him too. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

To get back on topic, was it just me, or was stunned Muffy's lack of empathy just written all over her face?  That poor woman was obviously miserable, so a two years married sheltered missionary is going to tell her she needs to stay with her jerk husband.

That was horrible.  At first I thought the women were only coming for the free banana bread, but when they showed that poor woman crying and wearing her pain all over her face? No longer funny.  Meanwhile, Jill is staring at her blankly while probably making a mental grocery list.  No need to actually listen when you're just going to parrot out the same "do better to keep your headship happy because it's your fault he beats and cheats" garbage.  That banana bread had to have been more comforting than her empty words.

Edited by Magoo
  • Love 9

Why was Izzy allowed to beg everyone for food? And worse yet, was that everyone was feeding him from their forks...even that very small girl. I would be a bit worried about germs since I doubt he has been vaccinated for anything? Also, Jill was supposedly taught Spanish from Marjorie's mother, and also took classes in CA too. Doesn't look like she learned very much. Wonder what Derick's Spanish is like?

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

This 30-yr-old-man and 22-yr-old-woman couple cannot even HOLD HANDS!!  What is this madness?!!!

Yeah and meanwhile I practically needed a cold shower after watching Josh and Anna's on-screen hand sex. Bin tried, in his usual lame, bumbling way, to explain how, aside from physical contact (I think he meant sexual contact--not sure if he realizes side-hugs and arm-clamping are examples of physical contact), it's up to the individual couples how to handle "all the stuff" that's "not right or wrong," such as (I presume) side hugs and hand sex. As usual, it made zero sense.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, fuzzylollipop said:

Just finished the episode, all I think is...Daaaaamn Cringe needs a nice cold shower, like freezing cold. I can't even imagine what it feels like to be as horny as she's coming off on screen. 

Also, at one point Jeremy said the goal of courtships is to "be intentional about getting to know someone." Huh?! Color me confused about this whole mess. 

"Intentional" as in: intentionally getting to know someone with the ultimate goal being marriage between you and that person  [considering them as a life-partner] vs. just getting to know someone, hanging out, having a good time over and over again, only with a different person, each time.  Hope that helps :)

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Aja said:

Yeah and meanwhile I practically needed a cold shower after watching Josh and Anna's on-screen hand sex. Bin tried, in his usual lame, bumbling way, to explain how, aside from physical contact (I think he meant sexual contact--not sure if he realizes side-hugs and arm-clamping are examples of physical contact), it's up to the individual couples how to handle "all the stuff" that's "not right or wrong," such as (I presume) side hugs and hand sex. As usual, it made zero sense.

LOL!! 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Aja said:

and Jessa looking at him like, yeah and we set our own rules just like poppa bear wanted and Jinge and Jer are practically all over themselves, wth

• Love 1

I bet it made JimBob furious to see them sitting so close on the sofa.  Jinger was almost in Jeremy's lap.  And with his long arm tightly around her, it made his hand almost touch her hip.  When Jinger would lean in and put her head on Jeremy's shoulder, I bet JimBob wanted to shoot Jeremy.

JimBob has to remember that Jeremy is a 30-year-old-man not a 19-year-old-boy like Ben was.  Jeremy has been exposed to some extent to the outside world.  I think Jeremy thinks a lot of this boundary stuff among adults is nonsense.  He's just going along to keep the peace and because he wants Jinger.

Edited by Evagirl
  • Love 15
8 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Watching Boob and Jeremy play a rousing game of "who owns Jinger" at the airport was surreal.  When she and Jeremy were desperately side-clinging goodbye, Boob peeled her away, put his own arm around her shoulders and shot Jeremy a triumphant look of "See? She's mine."  Within one second, Jinger had wrested herself away and back into Jeremy's arms with no backward glance at dear old dad.  I think that's what caused the snarly escalator glare.  Boob knew he'd lost his authority over Jinger to Jeremy in that moment, and I don't think he'll ever forgive him, though I'm not sure Jeremy even knew they were battling.  I just hate that there is a real person as the so-called trophy.

I agree 100% - that's exactly what it looked like - a struggle over Jinger!  You're right, that was a triumphant look JimBob was giving Jeremy.  That's why JimBob was shooting dirty looks at Jeremy while on the escalator.  This is messed up in so many ways.  In private I bet JimBob is trying to talk Jinger out of it.  I mean think about it, Josh & Anna moved into a home owned by JimBob, Jill & Derick moved into a Duggar mcmansion, Ben & Jessa moved into Josh & Anna's old house.  Jeremy is the first guy to bring his OWN place into a marriage.  That's why JimBob was trash-talking it.  He knows he won't be able to control them from a distance.  I also have an idea that TLC will give Jinger and Jeremy their own show.

Poor Jana, I don't think she'll ever escape the Duggar cult.  She seems to have resigned herself to being in that house for the rest of her life.

• Love 12

not sure this is the right place for this but has anyone else noticed before they show a segment of Ben & Jessa they show a scene of cows out in the pasture....probably just coincidence but nonetheless I have found it comical. Almost to the point of when I see the cow scene I know they're going to B & J's house :) 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Magoo said:

That was horrible.  At first I thought the women were only coming for the free banana bread, but when they showed that poor woman crying and wearing her pain all over her face? No longer funny.  Meanwhile, Jill is staring at her blankly while probably making a mental grocery list.  

Those women were all speaking Spanish which means Jill had no idea what they were saying.  So I am not surprised she was unable to take any meaningful part in the conversation. 

That doesn't excuse having absolutely no reaction to the woman's tears, of course.  But they probably told Jill the woman was crying because the banana bread was so delicious or something so that Jill would keep her stupid opinions about how it's the wife's fault her husband is an asshole to herself.  Those ladies have Jill's number and know she's an idiot.  I bet they can't wait for her to leave so some other SOS tour guide who actually has a brain can take her place.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Okay, nobody tell my daughter I watched this episode without her.  But I got halfway through the first page of posts and I just couldn't wait!  

Boy, Jim Bob's panties certainly are in a twist, lol.  Nice apartment for a single guy.   Nice couch but there is not enough room for all of us. Nice closet but it smells like dirty shoes.  Nice pawn shop but it's not filled with the kind of second hand crap I prefer.  Nice job but you'll be needing to get a second one to support my daughter. Nice town but it's so hot, wanna move to Arkansas?  Was there one thing he didn't criticize?  He's such an ass.  He is not in charge for once and he just can't stand it.   I love it!  

Poor Michelle.  She has shrunk so much looks like a fire hydrant.  She better never wear an all red outfit because a dog might pee on her. 

Bwahahaha you win the internet today! I can't stop laughing.

Boob is an ass for criticizing Jer's apartment. At least he earns his own money and has a decent place to live while your kids are all in some prison camp called a bedroom.

Why do we NOT have a wedding date yet? 

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 17

My take on the episode.

Derick is beginning to look like Frankenstein.  Lose the man bun and bandana.  SHAVE.

Joy wants to be a pilot but doesn't like math...find another goal, girl.

Jim Bob continues to be an ass.

Just sayin'.

Lab lover out

• Love 6
6 hours ago, drafan said:

OMG...Now I have the Eric Carmen song "Hungry Eyes" playing in my head, and one of my fave scenes from Dirty Dancing is consequently  ruined forever.

I'm a big DD fan(obvious in my name), and now I'm picturing Jeremy and Jinger trying to dirty dance with Jim Bob trying to stop them. Throw in Footloose about banning dancing, and we have a new movie, "Duggar Dancing".

• Love 8
20 hours ago, Patricia07 said:

I'm surprised that JB didn't make a lewd comment about Jer's bed.

Yes, me too!  Was totally expecting him to say something when "jinj" mentioned his "massive bed"!  Didn't boob make a famous comment when they toured the Dullards soon-to-be bedroom?  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Aja said:

Yeah and meanwhile I practically needed a cold shower after watching Josh and Anna's on-screen hand sex. 

I don't remember the whole Josh/Anna courtship...did they actually hold hands?  How did Boob feel about that?  is it one of those things that's cool if his son is doing the blasphemous hand-holding, but not his daughter?

2 hours ago, Magoo said:

I think that's what caused the snarly escalator glare. .

This is the name of my new band.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Boob is an ass for criticizing Jer's apartment. At least he earns his own money and has a decent place to live while your kids are all in some prison camp called a bedroom.

Jim Bob really has some nerve, doesn't he?  He was trying to do everything he could to diminish Jeremy, but none of it worked.  It just made Boob look small and desperate.  

I think he is terrified the rest of his daughters are going to see that it's possible to land a husband who is self-sufficient and they don't have to be dependent on their father for the rest of their lives like Ben/Jessa and Jill/Derrick.  And Josh and Anna, too, now. 

Well it's too late, Jim Bob! You can buy all the houses and storefronts you want to dangle in front of her as bait, but Jinger has busted out of the pasture and left the gate open behind her.  The others won't be far behind.  Soon they will be holding hands before marriage and laughing in your face.  The HORROR!!!

• Love 17

Jeremy is the youngest of three, another brother and a sister. Mother and sister play in a string quartet, and the sister is in other bands that play VERY secular music. Brother does some sort of film work associated with Harvard. So yeah, the Vuolos managed to launch their kids, whatever homeschool vs. public school they had. The scene with Diana checking out violins wasn't for show: she's a pro. Another fundie mother with a masters. Watch her husband's videos. They're fundies with a pretty facade. 

• Love 7

I'm so sad that this was edited.  Comcast had a string of 15 second clips of upcoming shows yesterday and the clips had some really interesting moments that were not in the show.

*in the background during the one graduation moment you can hear one of the kids say "I just passed through high school" and someone else tries to whisper 'no you passed on high school"

*Jim Boob says something about letting go is always hard but it is easier if make sure your daughter is going to a man who has proven himself to the same degree as Jim Boob did when he married Michelle -(warning this may cause severe and damaging eyerolls and loud expletives that may startle your pets)

*Joy says flying planes will be something she wants to show her own children some day.  Not as in actually flying them or having them watch her fly.  Just tell them she did once upon a time.  Because that will make sure they have a different view of their mother -- she does know that she, as their mother, will be the one to help shape their view?  Of her?  Their mother?

Jim Boob just has to make sure that he pisses all over his territory and makes any male entering his domain stand still while he sniffs their ass but good doesn't he.  I so wish for the fourth wall to come down some day during one of these scenes of him just yanking his ego out and masturbating. 

My dream responses:

'Funny, despite all those kids, looking at Michelle, you going all the way back into the closet makes a lot of sense now Mr, Duggar'

'another job?  no I plan on living off of you folks as long as I can and your eldest son the Pervert keeps out of the media.  See I aspire to be just like you"

"second job?  when did Ben get his first one"

'"bye Jeremy"?  Okay.  Try filming the rest of the season with Jinjer thrust back on the shelf next to her stupid craft project for all to see as non-marriageable.  Hope one of your other daughters is pregnant already.  'Cause I'm pretty much all you got unless you want to back in the woods and rake some more"

"thrift store habit?  Hey if it is good enough for your wife to wear the same five outfits year in year out, this little lady can go with two until she pops out her first dozen.  I guarantee.  She'll still look exquisite"

"boy you are even fatter than the show makes you look. How many jowls do you actually have?  You look about two chicken sandwich combos from a heart attack.  And for someone who presents a public figure of alcohol abstention, you sure do have one heck of a drinker's nose on that simpleton howdy doody face of yours"

"You do know they took the 'Duggar' out the show title don't you?"

"your wife sure likes touching me doesn't she Mr. Duggar?  She liked touching Ben a lot too.  Wonder why that is?"

"You know what's funny.  Not you.  But the fact that after this little one sided pissing contest, this time next season, I'll be one of the stars and you will be back in the background.  If on at all"

"Yeah I'm gonna stop you right now.  First let's go over the advice you gave that son of yours when he started the whole marrying process because until I know you weren't at least partly to blame for him being a huge cheating prostitute-seeking pervert, I'm pretty sure your advice is worth about the same those diplomas you hand out to kids"

"uh not to go all grade school on your ass, but my dad is going to beat the fuck out of you now.  And then mom looks like she is dying to take a turn. Think of it as my second job to just sit here and watch.  Jinj why don't you take another tour of the rest of the apartment.  The folks will be done with your dad easily by then"

I sometimes wonder what some unaired scenes look like when they spent that one season getting ready for the casting off of the daughters?  Supposedly, going by social media at the time, there were a couple of conferences they filmed at with the angle of all these young Fundie men wanting to woo a Duggar princess and Jim Boob playing fierce protective patriarch with all the wit and snap we have come to loathe.  Maybe it was part of the season that the scandal nipped in the bud.  But the timing to me suggests the season prior to that at least and I wonder how many of these supposed ardent young suitors spent five minutes of Jim Boob flexing his ego and gut and said 'fuck this". 

I so want to give JD the benefit of the doubt but every time I see Duggar in a breaking news online bit I keep thinking the words 'small' 'plane' 'crashes' 'pilot' and 'error' will also be involved in some form and order.

• Love 21
3 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Well it's too late, Jim Bob! You can buy all the houses and storefronts you want to dangle in front of her as bait, but Jinger has busted out of the pasture and left the gate open behind her.  The others won't be far behind.  Soon they will be holding hands before marriage and laughing in your face.  The HORROR!!!

And I will tune in each and every week to watch!!  Hang in there, TLC....you might just find your ratings go through the roof!

• Love 2

While it's nice to fantasize, I just don't think Jinger's situation will be any different than the standard Duggar marriages. It's nice to think that a college educated guy who is talking back a bit - or at least not deferring to JB - with a mom who may want to take Jinger under her wing is going to move Jinger away from the TTH, allow her to have some dreams and actually pursue them - maybe in things like photography, have ~5 kids not 20 and use birth control, and live an independent life in Texas.

I mean we said the same about Derick. A college educated accountant with 2+ yrs living overseas with a Fortune 500 job and a mom who was a senior exec in corporate America. He was going to push her to get some education; they'd talk about worldly things like the news; she'd draw some inspiration from his mom; they'd definitely use BC and have 2 kids; they'd hang out with his college educated friends; he'd introduce her to things like Broadway and Indian food. And now look . . . he quits his Fortune 500 job for a made up ministry bc he is too lazy to work 40 hrs/wk.

We EVEN said it about Bin. Sure he was an uneducated fundie. But he has a dad who hustles. He has a mom who seems attached/involved -- SHE was the one who shed tears when seeing Jessa in her wedding dress, not Jessa's own mom. We hoped he'd move Jessa to Hot Springs, finish his AA degree, make insurance sales his real job or pick up some trade, and Jessa would get to experience a loving family where [presumably] no one is molesting anyone else and where the men work. Now look . . . cleaning toilets for JB and trying to launch a fake ministry.

Sadly I think we'll see the same with Jer. The reason I think this -- this is a college educated guy. Soccer ends [which is fine - minor league careers don't last forever and aren't lucrative]. Instead of then making use of his degree and finding some kind of professional job, he too jumps into fake ministry -- presumably bc it means "working" -- i.e. lecturing -- a few hrs a week, not having to grind out a 40 hr work week. Add to that a 30 yr old with "experience" (presumably there were some girlfriends in college or high school or at least some dates) is seeking a virginial 22 yr old who is SO inexperienced and sheltered that she comes across as if she's 13 and said 30 yr old has said that he seeks a "meek" wife -- and I don't see this marriage being so worldy or different. I see the same -- no birth control, honeymoon baby, and Jinger being miserable like Jill a yr from now and then there will be another baby, another etc.

I don't think it's SOOOO telling that he doesn't kiss JB's ass. I think it's just how he was raised. He's from Philly -- we tend to be blunt, even though we may say it with a smile. He IS fundie but I think he came to fundy-ism later in life; he was raised in an Italian Catholic family -- VERY VERY blunt atmosphere in those families; he went to high school and college and is an alpha male athlete -- those types of guys say what they want. He wasn't raised surrounded by all fundies in rural Arkansas. So I don't think he is trying to be rude/standoffish when he says to JB -- "I'll pray to God re timing, I'll let you know what he says." I don't think he's purposefully snuggling up to Jinger on the couch to say FU to JB. I think they are BOTH HOT for each other and he thinks -- ok -- I've been told no hugs or kisses, this gets me super close w/o hugs or kisses. Jinger OTOH IS saying FU to JB. She KNOWS that snuggling so close to a guy on the couch that your shoulders, torso, butt and thighs are in full contact IS NOT ALLOWED or APPROVED AT ALL, and yet she KNOWS that JB NEEDS to get her married off to keep the TLC circus going; she KNOWS Jer is the only potential suitor; she KNOWS Jer is a grown ass man, not a boy like Bin, so she KNOWS that JB can't say anything to either of them re her cuddling bc JB can't risk pissing off the only potential suitor.

FWIW -- I think JB hates Jer. He has to dance to JB's tune bc there's money on the line -- but a good looking (relatively though I don't see it) athlete who is a grown ass man who won't take direction from JB (for a few more months at least, until he is on JB's payroll which he will be) -- JB hates that lack of control. I bet he almost prefers the 19 yr old boys who he can put thru hazing rituals by making them do tree jobs and clean toilets before they can have his daughter's hand.

• Love 24
7 hours ago, sometimesy said:

Boob actually advised Jeremy to get a part time job to support a thrift store habit?

This ^^^^^^ pisses me off more than anything. A thrift store habit is not exactly acting like you're Kim Kardashian. I have several friends who are self-proclaimed "thrift-store-addicts" and they have the best clothes and in one week spend about what people spend (ahem...Mullet) buying Starbucks. God, creepy dad, way to take away one of the only things Jinge really likes. Pissed. Makes me want to root for Jinge and Babe. I wanna smack JB's smug and smarmy cattle-head with a frying pan, cartoon-style.

6 hours ago, Adeejay said:

They share clothes.  The first time I caught wind of this was after Jill got married.  Jessa complained that she "took most of the cute clothes."

No she certainly didn't. Jill wears bagged-out maxi-skirts with a mustard sweater poured over the top.

Also: JD is NOT a catch, maybe in Fundie-land, where the pickins are slim, but real world???? .......no.

Edited by drafan
  • Love 5