Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

The auDAcity of this fool. Girl. No one was scrutinizing you. You weren't trapped. You didn't need protection because the only time people paid you any attention was when you ran to the tabloids to dish on your cousins.

• Love 22

If Amy wasn't Amy, I'd cut her some slack, because I think everyone has felt that way, to some degree, in their lives, whether it be a relationship, family, job, etc. But that is not what Amy meant.

Amy is comparing being the visiting rogue cousin, to a D-list Fundy family that 98% of Americans never heard of, to a internationally known Duchess, caught in a royal web, who's being slaughtered by the press.

• LOL 7
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

If Amy wasn't Amy, I'd cut her some slack, because I think everyone has felt that way, to some degree, in their lives, whether it be a relationship, family, job, etc. But that is not what Amy meant.

Amy is comparing being the visiting rogue cousin, to a D-list Fundy family that 98% of Americans never heard of, to a internationally known Duchess, caught in a royal web, who's being slaughtered by the press.

No wonder why they call her Famy. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

On the one hand, I'm not going to fault Amy for having empathy, no matter how awkwardly she shows it. It's not like there's all that much empathy in this crowd to begin with, so I'll take what I can get.

But on the other hand, omfg so self important! 😂

• Love 14

I have given this chick some leeway but honey no, you and Meghan have no experiences in common no matter how much you wish. Yea, your family is nuts but that's pretty much how it is lately.

• Love 13
20 hours ago, Zella said:

I actually don't think she has any empathy for Meghan at all. To me, it's phrased as if she actually has very minimal empathy ("in a very small way") and what little she does feel just centers around her own feelings of being slighted by her family, which she is much more interested in talking about. And that's ignoring the ridiculousness of her thinking their situations are at all similar.

Amy strikes me as the type of person who, if you tell them that you have a problem, they always try to one-up you and instead just talk about themselves. 

Hell, Jill has more in common with Meghan than Amy. Amy is extended family. She was not actually in the throes of the Duggar TTH or the show the way Jill was and is.

• Love 11
20 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Amy has now made her Instagram private. 🤷🏼‍♀️

She’s the kind of person that thinks everyone else is suffering because her Instagram is private.

• LOL 16
  • Love 1

Amy's always had more Delusions of Grandeur in her brain than anything else, as far as I can tell. 

On 3/10/2021 at 11:33 AM, rue721 said:

On the one hand, I'm not going to fault Amy for having empathy, no matter how awkwardly she shows it. It's not like there's all that much empathy in this crowd to begin with, so I'll take what I can get.

But on the other hand, omfg so self important! 😂

Hype springs eternal. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, JoanArc said:

She’s the kind of person that thinks everyone else is suffering because her Instagram is private.

She’ll probably make a grand, dramatic statement when she becomes un-private again!  

• LOL 9
15 hours ago, awaken said:

She’ll probably make a grand, dramatic statement when she becomes un-private again!  

“You’ve all suffered enough. I think I proved my point. “

• LOL 13
15 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

“You’ve all suffered enough. I think I proved my point. “

"But just remember, as much as you have suffered not seeing my content, I have SUFFERED more than anyone else on Planet Earth!" 

• LOL 4

Sorry, YupItsMe, I posted all of this in the wrong thread.  They picked up the story in the Lonely Js.  I have just always considered all of those interchangeable boys part of the Howler pack!  Oops.

Edited by kaleidoscope
  • LOL 5
15 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I do not like avocados so it did not dawn on me it was to light.  Cottage cheese dyed green?

It's roughly the color that guacamole is if you mix it with sour cream, which I've been known to do.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Its the Duggars. They don't seem to be into a lot of green foods. I'm guessing this one day of the year, rather they experiment with trying new and different green foods, they just dye whatever they are making green.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

It looks like tuna salad dyed green, to me. Which I think is nasty, but I am not a big fan of tuna.

Why they couldn't have had the "big green salad" that Jill used to like to talk about, I don't know. I was going to say, or Green Eggs and Ham, but I guess all the kids are too grown for that now.

It's kind of wild to think that they've got about half their kids married off already. Barely any "other Duggars" left! Except the grandkids, I suppose. I still can't keep Anna's and Kendra's kids straight. I don't even really remember how many Kendra has?

I'm surprised that they're celebrating St. Patrick's Day, honestly. It seems pretty Catholic to celebrate a saint's day? But I'm glad they're up for it, the more mainstream and less Bible-thumpy they are, the better!

Edited by rue721
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I'm surprised that they're celebrating St. Patrick's Day, honestly. It seems pretty Catholic to celebrate a saint's day? But I'm glad they're up for it, the more mainstream and less Bible-thumpy they are, the better!

It never ceases to amaze me how many American Protestants go hard for St. Patrick's day and green, green, green.  It is such a Catholic holiday, and the Green in the Irish Flag stands for the Catholic Irish.  The Protestants are represented in the Orange.  I'm Catholic, but not Irish.  I don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day.  I will begrudgingly wear a green top.  It's easier than explaining why.  

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Why they couldn't have had the "big green salad" that Jill used to like to talk about, I don't know. I was going to say, or Green Eggs and Ham, but I guess all the kids are too grown for that now.

Would they even be familiar with the Green Eggs and Ham situation?

• Love 5

what I found interesting from the pic of Josie was she seems to be wearing boys overalls. Also she seems the only one there for the green glop lunch. Chair next to her pushed in so no one sitting there. Also not even one person sitting on the bus station couches staring at a phone. Odd for a pic at the big house.

with Jed! out next, Jeer seen standing close to a girl in the magnolia group pics will have an announcement soon. I would put money on Jase "courtin" a girl near the spivey's since he was back there a week after the wedding.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many American Protestants go hard for St. Patrick's day and green, green, green.  It is such a Catholic holiday, and the Green in the Irish Flag stands for the Catholic Irish.  The Protestants are represented in the Orange.  I'm Catholic, but not Irish.  I don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day.  I will begrudgingly wear a green top.  It's easier than explaining why.  

Ruark is an Irish last name. Ruark is also Michelle's maiden name. It wouldn't surprise if the Ruarks were Catholics in Ireland who converted to Baptist in America several generations ago. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, crazy8s said:

what I found interesting from the pic of Josie was she seems to be wearing boys overalls.

I think it's a jumper (they can have overall-y looking tops, but then a Duggar-approved skirt on the bottom). The shirt under it has some really tragic-looking sleeves, but maybe this was all the green available in the communal closet.

6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm guessing this one day of the year, rather they experiment with trying new and different green foods, they just dye whatever they are making green.

There is a clip from one of the old episodes of them doing just that, including dyed green maple syrup to go with their green pancake and eggs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

Ruark is an Irish last name. Ruark is also Michelle's maiden name. It wouldn't surprise if the Ruarks were Catholics in Ireland who converted to Baptist in America several generations ago. 

Genealogically speaking, that's not what I have seen. As a general rule, American Southern people of Irish descent are descendants of the Protestant Scotch-Irish/Ulster Scots who immigrated in the 1700s into Pennsylvania before working their way south and then west. They were never Catholic and often immigrated way before the Potato Famine, and their religious history is more commonly a slide from Presbyterianism to Methodist or Baptist and possibly further onto a more Pentecostal/evangelism form of Protestantism rather than a conversion from Catholicism to Protestantism. (This created a lot of confusion with my only family tree before I figured out what was going on.) Ancestral first names are actually better clues than the surname. My bet would be the Ruarks were never Catholic, though I could be wrong. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6
On 3/17/2021 at 5:25 PM, BigBingerBro said:

And with Hilaria's comment:

is3r1xzj7nn61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Hil, you're unlikely to see nearly as much of the Duggars as you'd like to, now that you've contributed to their cause by throwing a wedding. 

Now you're just one of those annoying in-laws that they largely ignore. 

When's the last time they visited the Kellers, for example? When's the last time any in-law parents appeared in Arkansas on their show? How often do we see them socialize with the Caldwells, whose church they seem to attend, or see Joe and Kendra be anywhere with both sets of grandparents together? Many have joined the Duggar extended family. But few very often find themselves among the chosen, it looks like. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, crazy8s said:

I would put money on Jase "courtin" a girl near the spivey's since he was back there a week after the wedding.

Plus, there are probably more Gothardites around that area, since it's not terribly far from Big Sandy. Maybe some other ex-Gothard-employees, like Rob Spivey. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Genealogically speaking, that's not what I have seen. As a general rule, American Southern people of Irish descent are descendants of the Protestant Scotch-Irish/Ulster Scots who immigrated in the 1700s into Pennsylvania before working their way south and then west. They were never Catholic and often immigrated way before the Potato Famine, and their religious history is more commonly a slide from Presbyterianism to Methodist or Baptist and possibly further onto a more Pentecostal/evangelism form of Protestantism rather than a conversion from Catholicism to Protestantism. (This created a lot of confusion with my only family tree before I figured out what was going on.) Ancestral first names are actually better clues than the surname. My bet would be the Ruarks were never Catholic, though I could be wrong. 

I believe you are correct.   There are very few Southern Catholics outside of Louisiana and Savannah.  I'm taking about Catholic families who have lived in the South before 1900.  There might be a family here or there, and a smattering of Catholic families in larger cities in the South, but nothing like what you find north of the Mason-Dixon Line.  

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I believe you are correct.   There are very few Southern Catholics outside of Louisiana and Savannah.  I'm taking about Catholic families who have lived in the South before 1900.  There might be a family here or there, and a smattering of Catholic families in larger cities in the South, but nothing like what you find north of the Mason-Dixon Line.  

Bingo! There were also some significant early Irish Catholic immigrants to Texas, too, but they were still very much the exception compared to the many more Protestant Scotch-Irish pouring in there from Tennessee, Kentucky, and Missouri.

It was very frustrating to do genealogical research and keep stumbling across tips for finding your Irish ancestors and absolutely none of the suggestions were helpful.

I finally found an article that directly addressed that, asked a few questions along the lines of what I outlined in my earlier posts, and explained why resources for finding who Americans consider Irish immigrants are almost unanimously devoted to Irish Catholic folks who came over in the mid-1800s or later. Which is great if that's your family but is less than useless if it's not your crowd. Once I figured out what was what, resources on finding information on Scotch-Irish ancestors seemed like it was tailor-made for me, and I basically figured out that my crowd were a bunch of rowdy Scots who got kicked over to Northern Ireland before being kicked over here. 😂

Of course, exceptions always exist, but I would be really shocked if Jim Bob and Michelle's families included anybody who was actually Irish Catholic. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5

I am back to the 1500's in my dad's family, and I have no Catholics in my family since the Reformation.  None.  My French family was Huguenot, my Irish line was protestant from the North, and I have 4 Mayflower lines.  My mother's family is German/Polish Lutheran for as far back as I can trace.  This has made it more difficult to do research.  No Catholic church records to use.  I think my fellow researchers here are correct.  Based on migration patterns, the chances that Michelle's family were Catholic are pretty slim.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Irish names have been altered over time. My maiden name is Irish, as is my current last name. When my grandfather came to the states via Ellis Island, his last name was O’******.  On paperwork, the “O’” was omitted. He went on to have 3 sons, all of whom had the “O’”, yet he did not.
Same on my ex husband’s side, the “O’” was dropped permanently.

Both families were Catholic.

So, Michelle’s family name could have started out as O’Ruark(e), is my point. 😁

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1