Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

Okay guys, I have a burning desire to know which duggar kid spent the most time in the prayer closet.

My money is on Jed.

Why Jed? What has he done to merit time in the closet?

Probably Josiah before they found the "better" solution of ALERT.

Agree. Like others have said, Josiah may enjoy (or find bearable) his time away from the circus.

Woops. I got my J'boys confused. Josiah is who I was thinking of.

I just thought I may have missed Jed doing something rebellious to get him in the closet.

Could you imagine Boob & MEchelle's reactions if they had to deal with a "normal" child stomping off screaming "I hate you, I hate this house, there's nothing good to eat, I can't wait til I'm 18 so I can leave, etc"? (Like us heathen families have to deal with)

I would love to put Boob & MEchelle in one of those families from the Supernanny. Wonder what their reaction would be when the kids "totally" ignore them?

• Love 5

Could you imagine Boob & MEchelle's reactions if they had to deal with a "normal" child stomping off screaming "I hate you, I hate this house, there's nothing good to eat, I can't wait til I'm 18 so I can leave, etc"? (Like us heathen families have to deal with)

The Duggars are lucky in this aspect. By isolating their children they never to put up with the "Tommy's mother lets him stay out until midnight!!!" battles. It's easy to raise an army of compliant zombies when you never let your children experience real life.

• Love 7

I would love to put Boob & MEchelle in one of those families from the Supernanny. Wonder what their reaction would be when the kids "totally" ignore them?

That's legitimately what the prayer closet, ALERT, and journey to the heart are for. The second a kid gets a little out of hand, it's beaten out of them. Though, all three options are probably more appealing then staying in the duggar home.

• Love 2

Before Josie, I was honestly astonished that they had that many healthy children without special needs.

I only have 3 kids, & 1 has autism.

There is no way the Duggars would be able to deal with this. The sometimes illogical tantrums, sensory issues, etc. when he was little he would run off all the time. We had to put chains high up on the doors. He doesn't understand things that are abstract, so although we take him to church he sits & colors, but does not understand any concept of God or religion.

What am I saying- JBoob & Me'chelle wouldn't be raising him, it would be one of the girl's problems.

• Love 2

I just thought I may have missed Jed doing something rebellious to get him in the closet.

I want super nanny to comes visit the Duggars. Then JimChelle would have to raise their children

That's legitimately what the prayer closet, ALERT, and journey to the heart are for. The second a kid gets a little out of hand, it's beaten out of them. Though, all three options are probably more appealing then staying in the duggar home.

But can they force an adult child to go? And even JTTH or Alert might not help. It just shows the kids ma and pa fear their children will discover sinful things

• Love 2

The concept of turning 18 or 21 years old doesn't mean anything to the Duggar children, sadly, as they aren't truly aware of being an adult in their own right nor what any of that means to them in the real world. They are still subject to their parents' authority and are obligated in front of God (in their belief) to do whatever their parents tell them to do. Being an adult only means that they can now legally marry and have a "transfer of authority" to their husbands. It means little more to their sons. Those girls really are the most ignorant group of people in this country. I'm not insulting their intelligence, but commenting on their sheltering, isolating life, which fences them into a life which offers them no options but to marry and submit to another male forever.

• Love 6

I'm not convinced they have 18 fully healthy children. A lot of the children have extremely limited screen time and seem pretty coached when they do appear.

I believe Johanna?? Had some problems with keeping Stull and staying focus. Michelle said she had to have one on one time with her. I believe some kids might have delays

I've thought for a long time that Justin might have some issues as well. He often looks unfocused and spiraling in the way some kids do, and his few moments on camera seem very coached to me - he's suddenly too calm.

I doubt that the Duggars are anti-medication for boys. They don't bear children.

I'm not convinced they have 18 fully healthy children. A lot of the children have extremely limited screen time and seem pretty coached when they do appear.

Totally agree. We see only what TLC wants to show us - and unless I'm mistaken I bet Boob has a great deal to say in what that is as well. And the kids do seem very rehearsed, always spouting the same 5-6 sentences. I'd be very surprised if all the kids are completely healthy too. Josie certainly has issues.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 1

Agree. You would think by now they wouldn't have to be coached much, unless there are problems. Then there's Mackynzie. I doubt she ever needs coaching. I love her TH's cuz she rambles on like a normal kid her age. My favorite was when her & Michael were discussing what cake they had at Jill's wedding. "I had the cake with the white icing. Mikey what kind did you have? Oh, I didn't have that kind...." & they went on discussing back & forth the virtues of the cakes. She could give her aunts & uncles some pointers.

• Love 4

I think it's hard to gauge the Duggar kids because everything in their household is so willy-nilly. There's no bedtime routine, no real school routine and meals are grab-and-go affairs with little thought to nutrition. Do James and Johannah have ADHD or are they just under-stimulated and bored? Do Jenny and Jordyn really have speech delays, or would they be little chatterboxes if anyone actually took the time to talk to them and show interest in their opinions? There's so much abnormality with this family, you can't really measure them with the same yardstick you'd use with other children.

• Love 8

I think it's hard to gauge the Duggar kids because everything in their household is so willy-nilly. There's no bedtime routine, no real school routine and meals are grab-and-go affairs with little thought to nutrition. Do James and Johannah have ADHD or are they just under-stimulated and bored? Do Jenny and Jordyn really have speech delays, or would they be little chatterboxes if anyone actually took the time to talk to them and show interest in their opinions? There's so much abnormality with this family, you can't really measure them with the same yardstick you'd use with other children.

How true. Considering most of the home skoolin has moved from the dining room table to the computers, how much interaction do they get with their "teachers", whoever that might be now? Plus they can't even voice a negative opinion for fear of being punished.

I agree it's hard to know. But you can compare them to each other, and the older children at the ages they were first on camera to children who are now at those ages, etc. I also factor in being pretty fluent in fundamentalist-ese, and having raised a child that was unusual but not one that had an easy diagnosis, so I'm not someone who is quick to label, having had so many (incorrect) labels tossed in my direction.

• Love 1

Yes, but my DS would be doing things like climbing up the outside of the staircase (he did that at our house), not being able to answer any questions or actually form more than 2 words at a time at age 4, running out of the house, not able to sit still or pretend to play the violin like her little ones do. I was talking about very apparent delays. I think everyone has quirks & most people could get diagnosed with something if you tried hard enough. And I agree that some of the restlessness/ hyperactivity of the Duggar kids is probably due to lack of attention & structure.

• Love 2

I don't think they have a child with severe delays, if that is what someone means. But I do think several children have some issues that will make transition into adulthood problematic, and are more than simply based upon parenting style.

• Love 3

As I said, I dealt with a lot of unhelpful and inaccurate people (including some medical people) labeling my child who did not meet those diagnoses, but the rush to give a name (and sometimes suggest a medication, which we personally did not use since I was never convinced of the diagnosis) does give me some agreement to the over diagnosis of many things.

That said, I'm 45 and can look back on my childhood and see plenty of students who clearly could have benefitted from support, even medication, and it was either not available or not offered to them.

So it's a double edged sword of a discussion.

• Love 6

I still wonder if Johannah and the Howlers (still think that would be a great band name) would be able to focus on work if they had some kind of physical education program.  Or, hell, if the parents just sent them out to run laps around the property for a set amount of time.  They have so much energy and literally nothing to do with it.  They just run around aimlessly, screeching, breaking things and getting themselves more and more hyper/worked up.  I wonder what focused physical activity would do for them.  Besides excess energy, poor Hannie is probably bored stupid.  She's an incredibly bright child - gifted, I would wager - and her "school" consists of copying Bible verses and composing thank-you notes.

I wonder what would happen if a Duggar kid complained about being bored by yet another Bible lesson.  Because surely one of them, at some point, has been incredibly bored by the endless begats.  And how many different videos about creationism can a kid watch before they get tired of the predictability?  (I know younger kids like repetition, but surely Johannah on up are getting bored by now.)

And I sometimes think Jenni wasn't so much speech delayed as she was quiet and disinterested in talking to anyone in her family.  I don't even recall having the same "no, seriously, the fuck did she just say?" reaction to her speaking (unlike Jackson and Josie, and Jordyn to a lesser extent; couldn't understand those kids to save my life.)  on the rare occasions when she did so.  She just seems very tentative, shy and serious.  And besides Jill, who did she even have to talk to in that house?  Hannie usually hung out with Jackson, Jordyn never seems to speak either, and she seems incredibly annoyed by Josie.  If Jill was my only conversational option in life, I'd just stop talking, too.  

Josie still seems "off" to me, but with every episode I wonder even more about whether her delays are neurological/biological or just a result of Michelle's aggressive babying of her. 

• Love 1

I do agree that a good physical education program OUTSIDE would do wonders for nearly all of the Duggar children. Those who are above average and those who are struggling.

• Love 2

On P&H they had several photos of the Duggars at Christmas. There was one of all the food displayed, someone was carving a turkey and in the background is one of the Duggar kids standing on the counter in bare feet. Seriously, what the f*ck is with this family and kids crawling over the counters? My mother would have knocked me upside my head if I did that on a regular day, let alone a holiday where we had fifty people over for dinner. If I were invited to their house, I'd bring my own food.

• Love 8

It is very strange to me how they babble on and on about teaching the small children "self control" and "the attitude of obeying," and then the kids run around like little hellions and Michelle just gives that drugged-out smile and insists that they're "just how children should be."

First of all - what the hell kind of horrid brat was Michelle that this is her idea of how idealized children should act? 

But I would guess it's because she no longer has to deal with the consequences of badly-behaved kids - the buddies have to look after them, and this way Michelle doesn't have to do ANY parenting!  She had her fill of that with the the first few kids and now that every possible injury or fight or disaster can be handed off to Jana, why should she make an effort to teach her kids good behavior?  Michelle just does what she feels in the mood to do at any given moment, and it's usually about what Michelle wants to do or doesn't want to do.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone else who cares so little about others; it's especially annoying since they prostitute themselves as "servants of the Lord" or whatever the fuck.  Michelle wouldn't know selflessness, generosity or "JOY" if they bit her on the ass. 

She also doesn't have to cook with the brats underfoot or clean up all the grossness they track around the house, so, again, why in the world would she care? 

But.  Yeah.  It's fucking disgusting.  I will never get over seeing Jackson eating Cheerios off the filthy floor, barefoot with feet practically black on the bottoms.  These kids must have the strongest immune systems in the world.

• Love 10

On P&H they had several photos of the Duggars at Christmas. There was one of all the food displayed, someone was carving a turkey and in the background is one of the Duggar kids standing on the counter in bare feet. Seriously, what the f*ck is with this family and kids crawling over the counters? My mother would have knocked me upside my head if I did that on a regular day, let alone a holiday where we had fifty people over for dinner. If I were invited to their house, I'd bring my own food.

Just gross & especially at Christmas! Maybe it was the way I was raised, but I never would have walked across the counter. Maybe knelt on it to reach something high, but never parade across the counters like they do.

I remember the episode where they were doing something in the kitchen & one of the J'howlers started to get up on the counter & Grandma kept saying about getting down. I think Jackson eating Cheerios off the dirty floor (I guess his little tummy was hungry, as MEchelle would say) takes the most gross reward. They also like to lick off the counter - one of the J'howlers, might have been Jackson, licking the chocolate birthday cake batter off the counter when Joy spilled it out of the bowl & Josie licking the chocolate off the community table at the candy store in DC where the little girls went for their birthdays.

It is very strange to me how they babble on and on about teaching the small children "self control" and "the attitude of obeying," and then the kids run around like little hellions and Michelle just gives that drugged-out smile and insists that they're "just how children should be."

First of all - what the hell kind of horrid brat was Michelle that this is her idea of how idealized children should act? 

Point A - The Duggars teach self-control about only ONE thing - and we all know what that is.

Point B - I imagine Mechelle as a child was an absolute whining and/or screaming brat when she didn't get her own way. She seems to be the same now, only quieter.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

All the kids could benefit from going to see a real doctor more often then just once a year for a checkup or just because they are sick. I still say that Josie has issues with hearing properly. When she speaks she sounds like she is talking under water. As for all the kids lots more attention and better care would greatly benefit their behaviors.

There's something kind of feral about the little ones. Like no one's looking after their basic needs.

Feral is the word.  They appear unwashed, uncared for, and just generally ignored.  It doesn't ever appear that there's someone to say "Hey, do you need something?  Do you need an idea for something to do [besides running around tearing the house apart]?  Anything you feel like talking about?"  The kids just appear to be raising themselves as their own little pack.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's great for kids to be independent, be able to get their own food, do whatever it is they need to do with minimal prompting, etc.  But these kids don't seem independent; they seem abandoned. 

Given how Jackson would cling to any person who entered the house when he was younger, how Jennifer was welded to her buddy at all times and barely seemed to recognize her actual mother, how Justin resigned himself to taking on full childcare duties at something like age 8, how Jordyn managed to wander out of a room unnoticed while her entire family stood around, how Jackson was basically ignored after they found him at the airport (thank god for his buddy), I don't think it's a new development, to say the least.  But it's getting more and more obvious. 

I too have wondered if Josie has some hearing difficulties.  My cousin's son had a similar garbled quality to his speech and that turned out to be the cause. 

• Love 5

MEchelle only caring about herself can't see that perhaps Josie can't hear properly. MEchelle is too busy getting Starbucks, going on trips with Boob and making robo calls.

And painting posters.

• Love 3

So I looked at Jessa's IG for the first time in a while, and she had posted a birthday message to Jeremiah and Jed. In it she says that Jeremiah has the ability to memorize a lot of things, so he has memorized chapter after chapter of scripture and stays up late at night reading/memorizing and it says so much about him how he spends his spare time. He's a Godly man -- nothing wrong with that. BUT wouldn't it be nice if he could take his God given talent and apply it not only to religion but also to a profession? People with good memorization skills probably do well in some areas like medicine or pharmacy; I know it can be a useable skill in law school too if you read fast and retain everything. And as for choosing to use his spare time to memorize the Bible -- I'm sorry but what choice does he have? It's not like he has any other reading or study material available to him. If he wants to read, the Bible is pretty much it. It's not like he's choosing the Bible over other books, TV, or video games.

• Love 6

IDK, at least some of the kids seem to b accessing the internet for recipes, Pinterest, FB, and other things, so maybe he will come into contact with other topics and ideas.

At least learning another language (or two) would be great for him, and they can't be opposed to,that, right?

• Love 1

IDK, at least some of the kids seem to b accessing the internet for recipes, Pinterest, FB, and other things, so maybe he will come into contact with other topics and ideas.

At least learning another language (or two) would be great for him, and they can't be opposed to,that, right?

You'd be shocked by the number of fundies who think Jesus spoke English. So, IDK about him learning a new language.
  • Love 5

I would think they would encourage a foreign language for missions.

• Love 1

After watching the Bringing up Bates episode this week, I realized how emotionally stunted the Duggar kids are. (Well, I already knew they were, but this cemented it.) It was nice seeing the Bates kids LAUGH, goof around & kid each other like a normal family does. They actually talk in their TH's without prodding from producers. Even the little ones carry a conversation amongst the themselves. There is a sparkle in the kid's eyes unlike the robotic checked-out look that is becoming more pronounced in the Duggars. I can even picture the Bates children * horrors* getting mad at one another.

It was also nice seeing Kelly take charge of the family, as a parent should. Even tho it was chaotic, she had each of the kids pack their own things for a camping trip & she was the one belting out orders. (Have we ever seen Boob & MEchelle organize the packing?) It was funny when Callie was going to pack fancy shoes & Kelly told her she would be better off with tennis shoes for camping. And Kelly told her nicely, she didn't pass her off to an older sibling saying "Tell Tori what you want to pack." Like I said, it did seem chaotic but it was nice seeing all the kids involved in the packing. We know for the Duggars, packing is a jurisdiction, now handed down to Jinger. There is no reason why at least the older Duggar kids can't pack their own things.

I'm sure if these comparisons were brought up to Boob & MEchelle, their excuse would be the usual "we have 19 children." Well so do the Bates.

• Love 6

After watching the Bringing up Bates episode this week, I realized how emotionally stunted the Duggar kids are. (Well, I already knew they were, but this cemented it.) It was nice seeing the Bates kids LAUGH, goof around & kid each other like a normal family does. They actually talk in their TH's without prodding from producers. Even the little ones carry a conversation amongst the themselves. There is a sparkle in the kid's eyes unlike the robotic checked-out look that is becoming more pronounced in the Duggars. I can even picture the Bates children * horrors* getting mad at one another.

It was also nice seeing Kelly take charge of the family, as a parent should. Even tho it was chaotic, she had each of the kids pack their own things for a camping trip & she was the one belting out orders. (Have we ever seen Boob & MEchelle organize the packing?) It was funny when Callie was going to pack fancy shoes & Kelly told her she would be better off with tennis shoes for camping. And Kelly told her nicely, she didn't pass her off to an older sibling saying "Tell Tori what you want to pack." Like I said, it did seem chaotic but it was nice seeing all the kids involved in the packing. We know for the Duggars, packing is a jurisdiction, now handed down to Jinger. There is no reason why at least the older Duggar kids can't pack their own things.

I'm sure if these comparisons were brought up to Boob & MEchelle, their excuse would be the usual "we have 19 children." Well so do the Bates.

This is 100% accurate. The Bates family is light years ahead of the Duggars in "household management." And IMO, it all comes down to Mechelle's complete disinterest and outright laziness. She COULD be doing just as Kelly does, running her house and raising her kids, albeit with a lot of help from the older kids. But she has chosen to bow out entirely. It takes too much time and effort, and she has seen how the older girls seem to manage just fine without her, at least to her way of thinking. Plus she plainly just doesn't care enough about any of them. She is, IMO, a seriously emotionally-handicapped individual. For WHATEVER reasons...

• Love 5

I'm sorry, but John David gives me the creeps. He and Josh remind me of the scary guys in a bad Lifetime movie.

I'm with you. When John Doofus & Joe are doing their TH'S, they can barely get out a coherent sentence. They think they come across as funny with all the Yuk-Yuking (like Boob) but what really shows is their creepiness.

I think JD gets a bad rap on here. I always attributed it to him not being comfortable on camera. I think he may not approve of what his parents do and is forced into filming when he'd rather have nothing to do with it. I could be wrong, and this is my opinion only. I just got that impression one day while watching when they made another one of their new pregnancy announcements. I can't remember which one, but I remember the look oh his face was 'Not another one!" Ever since then I remember thinking, ok, not everyone here 

is  completely over joyed, but that's the story the parents are giving. It will be interesting someday, if someone decides to spill the beans. I really think some of the older kids(Jana too and she's his twin) do NOT agree with their parents. I've seen it also with Josiah getting his arm twisted by his dad during Jubilees announcement when he burst into tears at the thought of another pregnancy ,when his mother almost died from the last one. He was showing more smarts than his parents, imo.

so anyway, I respectfully disagree that JD is a weird creep. I think he is being forced to do something he doesn't want to do. Maybe I'm wrong, but does anyone else think some of the kids may not like the way their parents make them live? 

• Love 5

JD had a crappy childhood, Jim Bob is not  a good male role model, but JD is twenty five years so the parents made me act the way I do now should not be blame for his actions. He trashed a honeymoon car and thought it was funny. He has a smug attitude and treated Ben the same way Jim Bob was treating him. If a volunteer law enforcement officer (and I use the term loosely when it comes to JD) was seen on national television trashing a vehicle, he or she would be shown the door. I would love to know what type of training he had to be a constable because I do not think Alert Camp/Training would not cut it. He thinks he is a something special because of his last name and the five minutes of fame it has brought him. Yes, he can be angry with JB and Michelle in a way, but he needs to man up and take some of the blame for the way he turned out.

Agree with that.  Kellie also said they were late a lot but she seemed a bit embarrassed by it--not smug like those references to 'Duggar time'.

I think JD's not into the filming at all (just like Jana, but she has even less choice than he does) but goes along with it because it is a large part of his livelyhood. Even the 'belittling' of Ben seemed producer driven to me and JD just did what was asked of him. The glee about the trashing of the car seems legit... It shows how stunted he is as a person. Just like Jill acting like a teen with her first boyfriend, JD acts like a teen who gets to do something naughty when trashing the car.

So yeah, he is a man-child, and has never been taught how to deal with emotions or been given the tools to reflect upon his own behaviour and state of life.

I just want to send the whole Duggar brood to therapy. Individual therapy. Or give them anyone who isn't up the Duggar's posterior to talk to. Those kids (and sadly, those 25 y/o seem to still be kids) don't know even know what they do not know!

• Love 3