Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

Hmmm.... I think JD enjoy treating Ben like crap. Like father, like son. I laugh at how he is portrayed as a hard working volunteer fireman, but he had one of his sisters go with him to make sure he was not influenced in a bad way by some heathen female hussy. How embarrassing.

Imo it was not appropriate for him to ask esp. when John David had a plane given to him by his dad and would have no way of supporting a wife and possible children himself. He acts like an immature teenage boy who thinks he is big shot because he is a constable and  volunteer fireman after his mommy and daddy told him it was okay for him to do so.

Imo, acting like an ass about it was not appropriate esp. when John David had a plane given to him by his dad and would have no way of supporting a wife and possible children himself.

Where would any of the Duggar children be without Jim Bob? Where would Jim Bob be without TLC?

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 4

JD is a socially awkward, weird kid. I remember other guys like that growing up and even now as an adult. The ones I know now grew out of it after it became obvious that other people avoided them. But when you're so sheltered, as JD is, it's very unlikely he'll grow up.

I have very little confidence in him being able to talk to a girl, which probably means he's lucky he's not expected to date in a normal way or he'd be single longer. Maybe he'll luck out and a girl in their religious community will be able to look past this because she's the same way. Otherwise, he has no chance. (Or, he breaks away and dates girls who know who he is from TV and are willing to hook up/date/whatever because they want to get a little "fame.")

• Love 1

JD is a socially awkward, weird kid. I remember other guys like that growing up and even now as an adult. The ones I know now grew out of it after it became obvious that other people avoided them. But when you're so sheltered, as JD is, it's very unlikely he'll grow up.

I have very little confidence in him being able to talk to a girl, which probably means he's lucky he's not expected to date in a normal way or he'd be single longer. Maybe he'll luck out and a girl in their religious community will be able to look past this because she's the same way. Otherwise, he has no chance. (Or, he breaks away and dates girls who know who he is from TV and are willing to hook up/date/whatever because they want to get a little "fame.")

JD gives me serial killer vibes.

• Love 2

I can't imagine JD is feeling any need to 'get a girl'. He has it pretty cush... his sister(s) cook and clean for him. He doesn't have to do much around the house. And he doesn't have a uterus so he isn't under pressure to pop out babies to prove he has value.

Maybe it's me, but I think Josh has a lot of personality in comparison to John David (and Joseph) and is much better looking (especially when he was younger and interested in courting. And Ben is decent looking and works out - not my type, but he's a lot of young women's type.

I'm not sure that John David is any woman's type.

That said, out of all of them, I do think he could support a family with his towing and clearing/backhoe type businesses. They may have been handed to him by JB, but he's clearly made the most of them. Still, even financial security and a little TV fame wouldn't be enough for me. (Shudder)

• Love 2

I think JD could be considered  a decent catch for fundie girls with slightly lower standards.  Sure, he's awkward and socially inept, he looks like Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade, he's dumb as a sack of bricks, arrogant and often seems a bit sexist, but he's also hardworking when it comes to outdoor work, has a viable job, is "law enforcement," is a Duggar, and even owns a freaking private plane.

Sure, he's not a catch by worldly standards, but I think as long as he wasn't aiming too high for the widely sought-after girls (whoever they may be) and settled for an Anna type, I think he'd have his pick.

I agree with the people who say that he's just not looking that hard.  Why should he?  He does basically whatever he wants all day unless he has to tow something.  His sisters cook for him, clean up after him, do his laundry, etc, and he doesn't have to pay rent.  I bet Michelle shaves his neck for him, too.  If he doesn't have a high sex drive, he doesn't have the incentive for getting out of the compound like the girls do, because everything he does around the house (basically, his towing gig and occasional yard work) is stuff he'd have to do no matter where he lived.  Unlike cooking, cleaning and childcare, the work required for cutting down trees doesn't multiply by the number of people in the house.  At least now, this is ALL he has to do.

I still think they were feeling out Anna Hackel as a possible match for him a few years ago.  She was pretty cute, and she's still close friends with the Duggars, so who knows?

• Love 3

I honestly think JD is the type of guy who really could be a lifelong Bachelor and still be happy. I personally don't think he should be set up by his parents - if he's going to meet someone, he should do so in a normal way, maybe in the way Zach Bates met his wife. I feel like if he is set up, both he and the woman in the relationship will feel miserable.

I think JD's not into the filming at all (just like Jana, but she has even less choice than he does) but goes along with it because it is a large part of his livelyhood. Even the 'belittling' of Ben seemed producer driven to me and JD just did what was asked of him. The glee about the trashing of the car seems legit... It shows how stunted he is as a person. Just like Jill acting like a teen with her first boyfriend, JD acts like a teen who gets to do something naughty when trashing the car.

So yeah, he is a man-child, and has never been taught how to deal with emotions or been given the tools to reflect upon his own behaviour and state of life.

I just want to send the whole Duggar brood to therapy. Individual therapy. Or give them anyone who isn't up the Duggar's posterior to talk to. Those kids (and sadly, those 25 y/o seem to still be kids) don't know even know what they do not know!

I've given this a lot of thought. I truly think not one of the middles could benefit from therapy those kids need deprogramming first. In therapy they wouldn't know what to say or do. If you deprogram them and show them that they have been taught twisted logic all their lives the lightbulb might come on.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1

I read on another site that JD has been seen in the company of one of the Paine girls (Chad Paines sister?). I'm trying to find it again to see what sister.

Edit: It was just a mention on the Duggars without Pity site. One of the posters saw on someone's Instagram that some of the Duggars were seen with Tabitha Paine & they were speculating could be a gal for JD.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 2

I think JD can definitely get married if he wants to. I doubt he'll be able to pick up a chick at Sonic like Zach bc you know -- he'd actually have to talk to her and not come across like a dork. But I definitely think there are fundie dads who'd be salivating at the idea of a Duggar son in law. It seems like there is a lot of poverty in the fundie circles, so I can see someone like Pa Keller thanking his lucky stars if a dork like JD who has a towing business, will inherit property from JB eventually, is a volunteer constable - who could maybe possibly turn that into a real gig (doubt it but they'd think that), and has a freaking private plane -- came calling.  As for him being an ugly dork, I think most fundie parents would overlook that and would convince the bride to be that -- (I) looks and personality don't matter; (ii) she'll have a good life; and (iii) they've prayed about it and this is what God wants so she better live with it.

Why would Tabitha Paine be interested in him? Simply bc she's 29 and MUST get married asap? I mean she knows that hot fundie boys exist -- her brother Chad is one of them. Though I suppose she can't hold out/her parents won't let her anymore given the age.

• Love 1

Except that there is this weird thing in these Fundy circles that the men are such duds, and the women would rather stay home (especially after all the young children are raised) than marry men like JD. And in an interesting twist, they have become such "servants-hearts" to caring for their father that he often won't let them marry just anyone. (Let's face it - the men in this subset group are all, at some level, control freaks.)

Mr. Seewald was willing to have his son marry into the family, but would he have given up a daughter? If she was reluctant? Not so sure.

I love how the sentence following that he is going to Clown Bible College, is that he "loves teaching & disciplining young men." It comes across that he is teaching at the college, not a student. Just my opinion....

• Love 2

Anyone else see this as big news?? I mean we're talking an unaccredited school not Harvard, but just the fact that a Duggar child was able to leave the home pre-marriage is HUGE, no? Joseph could easily meet a girl at Crown College, since it's co-ed (that's where Erin went) and flirt with her and date her like a normal 20 yr old male without chaperones. Or he could meet a conservative Christian in Knoxville -- again dating like a normal guy who doesn't have to bring his sisters with him -- and end up settling down in TN rather than on the Duggar homestead. This sort of proves that a Duggar kid -- esp a male -- can get out if they choose to -- sure they have to go to a fundie approved and JB approved school and maybe be stuck studying something they don't love if the school doesn't offer regular majors, but it's still a path to freedom, your own friends, your own apartment/dorm room, and maybe finding your own mate.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 4

My co-worker went to Crown College, he was an RA and a pretty liberal one at that, compared to most. I guess even watching a ball game on t.v. is a big no-no there and he allowed it (scandal!). So theoretically, if Joseph's RA isn't too strict, he could get exposure to the mainstream. It also explains why my co-worker's relative had dinner with Joseph and the Bateses. Joseph lives in TN now.

I'm shocked they're allowing Joe to attend without a brother (like Josiah, who's old enough) to go with him as an accountability partner. I'm pretty sure he's living in the dorms. Living at the Bateseses, even though they have two at Crown right now (Nathan and Tori), would be tantamount to admitting there's also a courtship officially in place. And the only Bates girl left old enough to court is Tori, who at 19 is age-perfect for 20 year-old Joe. 

I imagine this puts to rest the big "announcement" that Lawson and Joe teased late last week. I figured it had to do with the Bateses' show and what was teased on it about Erin, but here we are. What a letdown, comparatively, to hearing that Erin is finally pregnant.

Then again, the show may still surprise us tomorrow.

• Love 1

I'm shocked they're allowing Joe to attend without a brother (like Josiah, who's old enough) to go with him as an accountability partner. I'm pretty sure he's living in the dorms. Living at the Bateseses, even though they have two at Crown right now (Nathan and Tori), would be tantamount to admitting there's also a courtship officially in place. And the only Bates girl left old enough to court is Tori, who at 19 is age-perfect for 20 year-old Joe. 

I imagine this puts to rest the big "announcement" that Lawson and Joe teased late last week. I figured it had to do with the Bateses' show and what was teased on it about Erin, but here we are. What a letdown, comparatively, to hearing that Erin is finally pregnant.

Then again, the show may still surprise us tomorrow.

Has this been shown on the Bates' show? I don't get UP and the episodes aren't on youtube. I'm guessing JB could have asked Gil and Kelly if they'd house Joseph for 2-4 yrs of college and I'm guessing they'd say yes as it would be their "duty" to help another family. But I don't know -- it's kind of a burden to ask a family with 16 kids at home to house and feed yours too -- though I doubt it would cost more than a few cents per day to cook up another serving of casserole or oatmeal or whatever. Assuming he is in TN and not stuck on a computer doing online school, it's good for him -- he'll go in knowing Nathan and Tori and will make friends with other students -- something those kids sorely lack as they have no outside exposure. I wonder if he enrolled there bc a courtship is in the works with Tori already? Even if there isn't, I wouldn't be shocked if after spending time together throughout school, they eventually do court.

Has this been shown on the Bates' show? I don't get UP and the episodes aren't on youtube. I'm guessing JB could have asked Gil and Kelly if they'd house Joseph for 2-4 yrs of college and I'm guessing they'd say yes as it would be their "duty" to help another family. But I don't know -- it's kind of a burden to ask a family with 16 kids at home to house and feed yours too -- though I doubt it would cost more than a few cents per day to cook up another serving of casserole or oatmeal or whatever. Assuming he is in TN and not stuck on a computer doing online school, it's good for him -- he'll go in knowing Nathan and Tori and will make friends with other students -- something those kids sorely lack as they have no outside exposure. I wonder if he enrolled there bc a courtship is in the works with Tori already? Even if there isn't, I wouldn't be shocked if after spending time together throughout school, they eventually do court.

No, something about Chad and Erin was teased for this week's episode. During the week, Lawson and Joe put up a video on Instagram, promising a special announcement. I am assuming that Joe attending Clown College is that "annoucement." Whatever is being teased for Chad and Erin is likely independent of what Lawson and Joe did.

As for Joe's education, I am certain he will attend real on-campus classes; he could have done online college from home, as Bin is doing now (still enrolled at the school from his hometown, IIRC, just changed majors). (editing out an oopsie!)

Edited by Sew Sumi

I don't care if Erin is pg.  But the discussion of the Bates/Duggar possible nuptials got me thinking.  In 30 years, guess what the family trees will look like?  Anybody remember the family group of polygamists that is so inbred that they have a graveyard devoted to dead babies?  Birth defects.  And the polygamy shows eventually mention how related everybody is to each other.  It will be the same with these big fun die families.  HAHAHA  I'm going to let that autocorrect alone!

• Love 2

According to Duggar Family Official on Facebook, Joseph is now attending Crown College.

https://www.facebook.com/duggarfamilyofficial/posts/590888297711490

The people commenting there are, of course, very complimentary. It was interesting there was a comment that Joseph was seen out in Knoxville with some of the Bates. And then a commenter said (intending this to be very positive). Yes, the Christian world is so small. It really gave me a real sense of the view of some Christians. 

It's simultaneously very small, but that doesn't mean people marry the people you think they do. For instance, not one Bates or Duggar has yet married anyone that would be obvious. My family jokes we are never no more than two degrees removed from anyone in evangelical/Fundy world, but my sister and I married outside of it. So it doesn't always mean what people think it means.

• Love 2

It's simultaneously very small, but that doesn't mean people marry the people you think they do. For instance, not one Bates or Duggar has yet married anyone that would be obvious. My family jokes we are never no more than two degrees removed from anyone in evangelical/Fundy world, but my sister and I married outside of it. So it doesn't always mean what people think it means.

I surely get what you're saying, GEML. Still the idea that the Christian world is small seems to show the narrow definition of Christian. And I know you know this better than I. This fact just surprises me sometimes because I live in a culture where nearly everyone seems to be Christian in faith. 

• Love 1

Oh, totally agree that using the world "Christian" here is misleading and inappropriate. There are whole swaths of believers and sects to whom I have no means of access at all.

• Love 1

I can't remember - is Crown College that unaccredited school that Erin Bates attended? Better than nothing, I suppose! At the very least, it will teach Joseph structure, i.e. getting up on time for class, completely assignments on time.

• Love 1

Yes, Clown College is the one that Erin attended (attended currently by Tori and Nathan). I remember Kelly posting that they were working on accreditation, but who knows how long that takes, or where they are in the process? So yeah, for now, unaccredited. 

• Love 2

Yes, Clown College is the one that Erin attended (attended currently by Tori and Nathan). I remember Kelly posting that they were working on accreditation, but who knows how long that takes, or where they are in the process? So yeah, for now, unaccredited. 

Did you change the name on purpose? I hope so because every time I read Crown College, it goes right to my brain as Clown College. 

• Love 6

Maybe Boob sees that Joseph is more interested in learning the bible and is allowing him to go to Clown? Me thinks that Boob has plans to have Joseph become a minister ala Joel Olsteen with a mega church following otherwise why ship the kid off to live with Kelly and Gil (speculation).

• Love 1

Not a quick process by any means. Accreditation is generally quite expensive and typically takes years, sometimes many years, depending on the changes/upgrades that the school is being required to make in order to qualify. The first step can take the longest - especially for church-affiliated and/or religious schools - which is the school agreeing to the changes in the first place. Definitely not always a given.

It is interesting to me that the Duggar family has now tried many things that the Bates family did first. The Bates were the first to have their kids be first responders, so the Duggars followed. Then the Bates enrolled some of their kids in Crown college, so now the Duggars have decided it's okay for them as well. I wonder if the Duggars are

ever going to admit that they allow "dating with a purpose" rather than  courting and if their kids will be allowed to "follow their own rules in their own house" once they marry and leave. One other cue they the Duggars could take from the Bates is that some of their kids do indeed have outside jobs (Michaela is a nanny, Lawson works at landscaping) and it won't kill them to have a boss who does not hold the exact same beliefs as them. I'm sure Erin's husband Chad has a boss at the metal factory who very well might not be a practicing Gothardite.

My father was part of an accreditation process for Christian colleges - it is a long process that will take many years. It means that degrees such as nursing or dentistry or anything requiring a professional license aren't worth anything. But quite a few uncredited colleges do have niche programs that can be highly regarded within those particular fields.

That said, Crown College does have some ways to go in a variety of areas. Still, it's far better than College Plus.

• Love 1

I googled and there are 2 Crown Colleges - one in Minnesota and the other in Tennessee. Which is Joseph attending? Both happen to be Christian colleges.

The one in TN. Joseph actually has a crush on a girl there. He's enjoying socializing.

• Love 1

Jill had outside training because JB and Michelle okayed her to be a midwife. Her main job right now is to keep her awesome, sweet, cute marriage and her miracle, sweet, blessed baby in the media. Her new life is helping keep the Duggars in the news and social media and brings in more bucks and TLC ratings.