Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

Josie, besides being the homeliest child I've ever seen (not her fault, but she got Michelle's face EXACTLY, but slapped onto JimBob's hideous giant melon head.  Really unfortunate, but at the same time I've never figured out how the other Duggar girls are so pretty when both parents are severely unattractive.  Michelle wasn't bad-looking in her day but she wasn't exactly gorgeous, and JimBob has always been downright fugly.  A friend of mine said he looks like Howdy Doody mated with one of the lesser Kennedys and man, she nailed it.), is an intensely annoying little brat.  She reminds me of Jackson when he was younger, but Jackson was at least endearing in how funny he was.  Josie is just a spoiled little nuisance.  She really is Michelle 2.0, the spoiled baby of the family who can do no wrong. 

I will never for the life of me understand those who insist the Duggar kids are "mature" and "well-behaved."  Justin, Jennifer and Jordyn seem well-mannered enough - probably because sweet Jill and drill sargeant Jessa raised them - but Josie, Johannah and the rest of the Howlers?  Brats through and through. 

And this is coming from someone who loves children.  Hell, I don't dislike the Duggar kids most of the time.  But they're bratty, rude and poorly-behaved.  Not their fault; no one taught them any better.  But I will never understand why people insist they're so well-behaved.  In what universe?!

Edited by WTFFF
  • Love 4

That clown episode was so cruel!  I hate clown too, and Amy was horrified.  People who do that to you don't love you, they resent you so much they want to make you miserable.  They are getting even for all that they envy about you.

Much as I love amusement parks, I can't bear talking to a princess or Micky Mouse or whatever.  I turn and go the other way.  It's something you don't get over.

• Love 4

Anyone notice that Joseph is MIA??? Where did he run off to?

Also Amy seemed to have been banished to the prayer closet never to be seen again. Was she taking too much precious camera time off MEchelle? 

Edited by Fuzzysox

Speaking of Disney....I wonder how the Duggars view Disney World and Disney movies. You'd think all that stuff would be right up their alley of puritanical views. Or maybe fantasy worlds of princesses and stuff is too worldly for their feeble minds to wrap their heads around.

• Love 1

I will never for the life of me understand those who insist the Duggar kids are "mature" and "well-behaved."  Justin, Jennifer and Jordyn seem well-mannered enough - probably because sweet Jill and drill sargeant Jessa raised them - but Josie, Johannah and the rest of the Howlers?  Brats through and through. 

And this is coming from someone who loves children.  Hell, I don't dislike the Duggar kids most of the time.  But they're bratty, rude and poorly-behaved.  Not their fault; no one taught them any better.  But I will never understand why people insist they're so well-behaved.  In what universe?!

I think Jennifer and Jordyn are naturally introverted, which is why they just fade into the background and don't make waves. I used to like Hannie and Jackson, but those two are WAY too old to be as hyper and obnoxious as they are. I get that they're probably bored and under-stimulated but they act like 4 and 5 year-olds, not 9 and 10 year-olds. 

I also had to laugh at your assessment of Josie as a "nuisance" because that's exactly how her family seems to feel about her too! When the younger kids play with her it seems like they do so more out of obligation than desire. I also noticed the older kids were quick to leave her in the dust when they were showing Bin his new digs. She went from Miracle Baby to Afterthought pretty quickly.

• Love 5

I started watching here and there a few months ago.  I saw a commercial for it with Josie and had to watch her.  She's my favorite if I have to have a favorite.  I am learning their names and faces but aside from Jessa who appears to be a cold bitch, they all seem to have the same personality.  I think Jana is beautiful and looks like a young Genie Francis.

• Love 2

Hey, TessHarding!  Great name!  I miss that show. 

When the younger kids play with her it seems like they do so more out of obligation than desire.

I wonder if they resent the miracle child - after all, we saw how Michelle bitched out poor Mackynzie when she wronged poor miracle Josie.  I imagine that's how it went for all the Duggar kids - upset the miracle child, get in trouble.  Kids remember that stuff.

Hannie used to be my favorite Duggar, but as with a lot of the Duggars, she hasn't matured at all, and what was cute at age 3-4 is less so at age 8.  As with a lot of things, it's not her fault because the younger Duggars have all gone feral at this point and no one cares to raise them, but it's not terribly endearing.

• Love 5

I wonder if they resent the miracle child - after all, we saw how Michelle bitched out poor Mackynzie when she wronged poor miracle Josie.  I imagine that's how it went for all the Duggar kids - upset the miracle child, get in trouble.  Kids remember that stuff.

Hannie used to be my favorite Duggar, but as with a lot of the Duggars, she hasn't matured at all, and what was cute at age 3-4 is less so at age 8.  As with a lot of things, it's not her fault because the younger Duggars have all gone feral at this point and no one cares to raise them, but it's not terribly endearing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Michelle not even there when Mackenzie and Josie had their argument? She didn't see it and had no idea who's fault it was but still blamed Kenzie.

I totally agree with the second part of your statement as well. I remember how the Gosselin kids started out as cute, then when they were six and still displaying toddler antics such as hitting, screaming and throwing tantrums the love affair ended pretty quickly. I feel the same is going on with the younger Duggar children. 

• Love 6

When the younger kids play with her it seems like they do so more out of obligation than desire. I also noticed the older kids were quick to leave her in the dust when they were showing Bin his new digs. She went from Miracle Baby to Afterthought pretty quickly.

That actually makes me sad. Josie didn't ask for the 'miracle child' label her parents imposed on her. If the kids are leaving her out when they hang out, I hope they quit with that behavior soon. It's not cute.

• Love 4

I've noticed that the Duggar girls appear cute when they are toddlers (Josie, not so much) and then have some seriously awkward years around 10-17. They then seem to come into their own and figure out the curling iron. On the reverse, the boys get into their awkward years later. So far none of the boys have grown into really attractive men.

That's pretty much the way it is with most kids. They go through an awkward not so cute stage. I think Josh is okay looking. None of them are unattractive IMO. Michelle is a pretty woman despite her 80's bi-level perm.

• Love 2

I don't know that the alienation of Josie is due more to the parents or if it is more about her behavior. Jordyn and Jennifer both seem pretty docile and content to play on their own. Josie, whether through conditioning by a lack of parenting or some undiagnosed issue, struggles socially. We've seen her struggle with sharing and acting in a way that might be off-putting to another child. It is usually pretty natural for children to choose to play with children like them in age and ability versus a child who is younger and different.

I would hope that her parents would teach the other children to be sensitive to Josie's delays. I know that when I was growing up, it was never acceptable to my parents, aunts, or uncles to alienate another younger relative who was 'different'. I have a cousin with down syndrome who is a year younger than me, and our family members always made sure she was included in all of the activities.

IDK...I see comments about Josie being annoying and I just feel bad for her. She didn't ask for the labels assigned to her and she doesn't have the support she needs to truly blossom. That's not fair to her so it bothers me.

• Love 5

This is what, I think, makes Jessa stand out. I do think she has her own issues, but she's also the only older child other than Josh who is willing to make comments to and about her parents and siblings that don't follow a Gothard approved gobbledygook script. This often comes out as snarky, but it also comes out as personal and even kind in a way no one else in the family even comes close to carrying off.

• Love 3

I would hope that her parents would teach the other children to be sensitive to Josie's delays

According to the Duggars, Josie has no delays.  I think the "sweeping it under the rug" mentality they have is doing Josie a huge disservice in this aspect of her life as well as many others. 

For whatever reason, she's a rough, aggressive child who behaves more like a toddler than a child her age.  I don't fault the kids for not wanting to play with her; they're probably annoyed and confused by her behavior.  If Josie were to be diagnosed with autism or some sort of mental delay or disability, and the parents explained it to all the kids, I imagine they woud at least try.  As it is, Jenni and Jordyn (and Mackyznie for that matter) are probably put off by her loudness and roughness, and she's too young for Jackson and Johannah to really play with as equals (though Jackson seems mentally about five, so who knows, maybe they'd be a good match.) 

I don't think it's solely being the spoiled baby of the family that the kids resent, though I'm sure that's part of it.  The two siblings closest in age to Josie just seem way too different to want to hang with her much, and Johannah and the Howlers are too old to be playing with a four-year-old for their own amusement (as opposed to familial obligation). 

Or she may not be delayed and may just be an annoying child.  See: Jackson at Josie's age.  God knows she wouldn't be the first Duggar to be a parental favorite, only to fall out of favor and be thrown on the pile.  She would, however, be the first to really act out in response to it.  Joy became sulky and sullen and Johannah just joined her place in the ranks.  If Josie's behavior is coming from her anger and frustration about having a mother who actually cared for her for a few years, then being abandoned emotionally as soon as Jubilee was conceived, I'm actually kind of impressed with her for not bowing to the pressure to behave or else.  But I still find her incredibly irritating.  (She's not the only Duggar kid who annoys the crap out of me though.  Jackson and James got on my nerves for years before the producers decided they weren't "cute" any more and stopped showing them nonstop.)

• Love 3

I would like to hear from Grandma Duggar, if they would let her out of the laundry room long enough to let us know how she, her husband and their family grew up. How did she raise Jim Bob and Deanna? She managed a yogurt shop, so she worked outside the home, why is that now a sin? That's how Michelle met her wooooonderful husband, isn't it? So how can such a "blessing" come out of a sinful thing like a job? I'm curious about Jim Bob's childhood, since we had to sit through grandma talking about Amy's childhood and how she snuck out of school at recess and went next door to her house to visit. More than I cared to know about Amy, I'd like to hear about Jim Bob's school experience, K-12 and how they lived at home, watched TV, listened to music, etc? Where did this extremism come from with him? Also, where is SHE on this and why does she put up with washing Michelle's dirty underwear? Does she since now widowed, have to submit to Jim Bob? Does that mean Michelle, one day, when Jim Bob may have passed on, have to submit to Josh and wash his underwear? Let it all rip...I'm curious!

• Love 6

What's new with Josiah?  I think that young man deserves his own thread!

ITA poor Josiah has been banished to ALERT and I just saw a picture of him along with the Bates boys and TFDW doing missionary work at a prison in FL while attending Journey of The Heart. IDK I thought JOTH was only for girls. Picture on Duggar Pickles n Hairspray FB page if interested in seeing it.

Wow. Sounds like Ma and Pa Duggar feel Josiah needs some heavy indoctrination.  I wonder what that's about?  Just because he doesn't look as though he comfortably wields a hammer like John David and Joseph do doesn't mean he still can't lift the glass of Kool-Aid.  I wonder why these intense, church-related activities?  I guess they want to ensure that Josiah not only knows how to drink the Kool-Aid, but to mix it up himself.

• Love 2

Florida mom- I was thinking the same as you about asking Grandma Duggar and/or Deanna about how their life was growing up. Like who dropped Boob on his head & that's why he can't grow up past age 18? But really I'm sure we all would like to know things about their childhood: was she always a working mother?, how well did Deanna & Boob get along? Friends they grew up with, etc.

Yes, I, too, wonder what's up with Josiah? I'm secretly hoping he enrolled in a real university in Arkansas, with Derick's help and is in class studying to be in accounting, etc...One can hope!

Someone stated that Grandma Duggar's feet looked swollen at that stupid derby car race. If that's so, that's an indication of cardiac issues. If I were her family, I would give a darn about my mother and get her to a cardiologist asap!

• Love 1

Does she since now widowed, have to submit to Jim Bob? Does that mean Michelle, one day, when Jim Bob may have passed on, have to submit to Josh and wash his underwear?

I think that this is the source -- at least partially -- of J'chelle's freak-out over no more babies.

Their cult values large families, and married women who are popping out babies are at the top of the female totem pole. From their perspective it is completely okay to force the J'slaves to care for the kids, do the housework, etc. They are being trained for the day when they will have some value as baby machines in their own right. Grandma, by their standards, has no value at all. She is past her baby-making days (and only had two babies, to boot!).

J'chelle wandered around that house for years lording her exalted status as baby-maker over everyone else. Now, her chickens are coming home to roost. Like many adolescents (and I think she is emotionally still an adolescent), she didn't think this thing through. Her children have seen how she's treated her mother-in-law. If she can't have babies anymore, what good is she? That's her belief; that is what she has taught her children -- in word and deed -- over and over again.

I believe that she has years of laundry duty ahead of her, and I think she knows it.

• Love 5

I swear, I am forever forgetting Justin exists. If you asked me to name all the Duggars he's one I'd definitely forget, and wherever I see him on the show I think he's a friend or something until I realize his name starts with a J. Who is he, even? Is there anything distinctive about him? Is he pro or anti pickles?

Edited by alt0233
  • Love 3

Justin is the sweet little guy who made it his mission in life to be Jordyn's caretaker after Michelle and Jessa both were like "not it."  He does seem to be the one most often left to blend into the background.

• Love 3
Justin is on Jessa's buddy team with Jordan. He showed Jordan a lot of attention because she was his buddy. He even made her breakfast once

yeah, that's right.  I remember that because while I thought that was such a sweet thing, I remember feeling sorry for both he and Jordyn because I recall that this  breakfast of champions consisted of instant oatmeal with tap water poured into it (no heating up of the water), and a slice of white bread--not even toasted.  Little Jordyn just ate it up as though she was used to it.  : (

At least we can be grateful that Justin wasn't using the oven or stove.

Edited by zenme
  • Love 4

Why grandma Duggar lives in the TTH is a mystery to me.

I'm surprised that Grandma lives with Boob and Company too.  If I were her, I'd prefer being with Deanna and her family, but IIRC, at the time she moved in, weren't Smuggar and Smuggette living in HER house?  

• Love 1

Jim Bob has said that he asked his mom and dad to move in when his father's illness had progressed.  He said it was so that the kids could help his mother care for their grandpa.  I hate to think this, but I think this set-up was actually more beneficial to Jim Bob. 

I don't know why Grandma doesn't move in with DeAnna either.  I think they (Boob and Michelle), must not care for DeAnna's husband very much, especially considering the fact that he defrauded DeAnna before marriage.  I'm sure Mary living with Boob has something to do with her having to be under her son's authority or some other Gothard bullshit like that. 

GEML,

I have to confess I get any kids younger than the first 6 or so confused.

You are not alone.  I know Josh, Jana, John David, Jessa, Jinger, Joseph, JoyAnna and then Jackson on down to Josie - but all those boys in the middle?  Forget about it.  Couldn't ID them if my life depended on it.

• Love 3

Jim Bob has said that he asked his mom and dad to move in when his father's illness had progressed.  He said it was so that the kids could help his mother care for their grandpa.  I hate to think this, but I think this set-up was actually more beneficial to Jim Bob.

Of course it was.  He got his mom's free labor while his sons were expected to care for his dying father - JimBob never said a thing about helping to care for his own father! 

I swear I hope Michelle ends up doing laundry for her 9 million grandkids for the rest of her life, and that Josh wheels JimBob's dying body around on an office chair for TV viewing.  The way JimBob and Michelle treat their parents and in-laws is disgusting.

• Love 5

I don't know why Grandma doesn't move in with DeAnna either.  I think they (Boob and Michelle), must not care for DeAnna's husband very much, especially considering the fact that he defrauded DeAnna before marriage.  I'm sure Mary living with Boob has something to do with her having to be under her son's authority or some other Gothard bullshit like that.

I didn't think Mrs. Duggar followed Gothard. I was always under the impression that Jim Bob came into that form of religion all on his own.

My theory is that Mrs. Duggar stays at their house because she feels bad for her granddaughters having to do all the house work. In my mind (and I have no proof) she loves her granddaughters so much that she is willing to sacrifice her golden years just so the girls don't have to be complete slaves.

• Love 4

^^^^This I sure Grandma doesn't leave because the littles need a mother since Boob and MEchelle are always on the road "encouraging" others. Everyone can see that MEchelle is NO mother. All the articles on the web on Jana being a JSlave is starting to open the public's eye on what a horrible situation the girls live in.

• Love 2

yeah, that's right.  I remember that because while I thought that was such a sweet thing, I remember feeling sorry for both he and Jordyn because I recall that this  breakfast of champions consisted of instant oatmeal with tap water poured into it (no heating up of the water), and a slice of white bread--not even toasted.  Little Jordyn just ate it up as though she was used to it.  : (

At least we can be grateful that Justin wasn't using the oven or stove.

That scene still haunts me.  I thought maybe I remembered it wrong but I guess not.  I couldn't believe they didn't cook the oatmeal at all.  But you are right, Jordyn didn't think anything of it.  I guess she knew that if she wanted anything to eat that would have to be it.  

I'm sure Mary living with Boob has something to do with her having to be under her son's authority or some other Gothard bullshit like that. 

I think it's has more to do with having a built in laundry maid.

• Love 1

I'm having a hard time picturing MEchelle without JimBob, living with one of her sons and following his direction. I think telling someone else what to do is no problem. But once she's in the widowed grandma position? I see her moving in with a daughter and still lording over them. Or, a weaker son who will fall for her enduring and increasing emotional anguish once anyone so much as thinks to look at her with expectation of helping.

• Love 2

I swear, I am forever forgetting Justin exists. If you asked me to name all the Duggars he's one I'd definitely forget, and wherever I see him on the show I think he's a friend or something until I realize his name starts with a J. Who is he, even? Is there anything distinctive about him? Is he pro or anti pickles?

Heh, I always forget that Jennifer exists. To be honest, I only know the children from Joy up...and then Josie because she's the youngest. In a lineup, I couldn't tell you who was who beyond that.

• Love 1

That scene with the oatmeal was awful. Michelle could easily get up and make a big pot of real oatmeal and slice up some fruit so her kids wouldn't have to eat that instant crap. What would it take, 20 or 30 minutes? What does she do all day that she can't be bothered to make sure her children get decent nutrition?

• Love 3

I'm having a hard time picturing MEchelle without JimBob, living with one of her sons and following his direction. I think telling someone else what to do is no problem. But once she's in the widowed grandma position? I see her moving in with a daughter and still lording over them. Or, a weaker son who will fall for her enduring and increasing emotional anguish once anyone so much as thinks to look at her with expectation of helping.

Something happens to JimBob, and Michelle would be scouting for the next husband before JB's body is cold. She does not know how to be anything but a doting and doted upon wife. 

• Love 2

I have a hard time seeing another man wanting to marry Michelle. But JB would marry within a few years, and there would be more children. And I say that without rancor, as I genuinely believe JB is the one who loves Michelle much more than Michelle loves JB.

And I actually think Mary Duggar spends time at both children's homes. We know she travelled a great deal with Amy, and there is a lot of footage where she isn't shown. I think she goes back and forth.

• Love 3

And I actually think Mary Duggar spends time at both children's homes. We know she travelled a great deal with Amy, and there is a lot of footage where she isn't shown. I think she goes back and forth.

If that's the case then I think it's great. As much as Amy gets on my nerves she really seems to love her grandmother and sees her as more than an extra pair of hands to wrangle bratty children.

• Love 3

I agree on the "love meter" between JB and Michelle. He is more into her than she is with him. (Oh, sorry for that choice of words, I'll get the brain bleach now). I also agree that he would remarry very soon after she passed on, and I commented about that earlier. He would need a righteously fulfilling receptacle and a new brood mare. I don't think Meeechelle would remarry at all, as it would be too much work for her.

I still would like to hear from Grandma Duggar, who worked outside the home and had only 2 kids as to how she raised her children, religion wise, etc. I also would like to know why is the Christian school that JB attended not good enough for his own kids? Oh, they had a "senior banquet", didn't they? That means they allowed dating...what the heck happened to those two? I also was pretty amazed that after all those pregnancies and deliveries, and that "bad back" that Meechelle claims to have, how could she have water boarded behind that boat so well? She really is a horse, isn't she? She's the physically strongest person in that house, including more than her husband's physical strength! She feigns being delicate to get out of work.

ITA Boob would remarry in a heartbeat.

MEchelle would take on her new role as the "poor ole widow" left behind to be alone all alone. We would have to send her boxes and boxes of Kleenex so she could wipe away her fake tears if it ever happened.

• Love 3

I'd think that Michelle would expect to remarry a man with a good amount of income. But, I'm kind of thinking no one would go for her unless he wanted to be famous. So, a rich, uber-religious famewhore wanting a widow with 19 kids? Not seeing it unless it was a very shady con-man.

• Love 2

ITA Boob would remarry in a heartbeat.

MEchelle would take on her new role as the "poor ole widow" left behind to be alone all alone. We would have to send her boxes and boxes of Kleenex so she could wipe away her fake tears if it ever happened.

I can definitely see Michelle playing the martyr"Single/widowed" suffering mother with "19!!! mouths to feed!"

• Love 3

I'd think that Michelle would expect to remarry a man with a good amount of income. But, I'm kind of thinking no one would go for her unless he wanted to be famous. So, a rich, uber-religious famewhore wanting a widow with 19 kids? Not seeing it unless it was a very shady con-man.

So your saying FameWhoreBrother Seewald would step up to the plate? I think Boob will leave MEchelle well off. She has a real estate license too so if the going gets tuff she can get out there and hussle just like common folk.

• Love 2