Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I think she expected to be the super fertile secondcoming of Michelle, able to easily get pregnant and have tons of kids. Of course, she has never thought about the costs of raising such a family, or whether she'd be a good mom, or she'd enjoy it, or DERICK would enjoy it, etc. All she knows is that script, which she aced by getting pregnant immediately! However, it appears that Derick is enforcing some sort of birth control, whether abstinence or something else, especially with that comment that they would have a baby next year, and along came Sammy! I think at this point she maaaaaay have realized being a parent isn't all sunshine and roses, but I'm not sure. She may think if she had a baby a year, things would be perfect once she got old enough to have sister moms!

I suspect the longish spacing between Izzy and Sam is due to separate beds and abstinence.   Remember that photo Jill  posted in SC?  In the background, beyond the open door into the bedroom, I saw a messy, unmade bed.  Then in the foreground, lay a messy, unmade mattress on the floor.

• Love 3

Geesh.  Only the Duggarlings would think the only place you can have sex is in a bed.  That's just so sad.  Of course they eat in the car so scratch that out.  I wouldn't trust the kitchen with Jill's cooking creations.  And with Derick's pit stains I'm not sure he showers.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, graefin said:

Jill claimed she had a long list of questions for Derick to answer during their Skype sessions. Presumably he passed her test.

Jill's Questions

1. What is your favorite biblical passage?

2. See question #1

• Love 7
1 minute ago, galaxychaser said:

Dereck was cute in the fruit loops pic.

That was probably, for me, the best pic of him.

Why is he making her a plate in what looks like a laundry room?

Are they at TTH?  And if not, what all all those laundry baskets for?

No wonder he thinks Jill is a great cook.  My 9 year old nephew could do a better meal with his eyes closed.  Sigh.

3 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

That was probably, for me, the best pic of him.

Why is he making her a plate in what looks like a laundry room?

Are they at TTH?  And if not, what all all those laundry baskets for?

No wonder he thinks Jill is a great cook.  My 9 year old nephew could do a better meal with his eyes closed.  Sigh.

That was in Central America.

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Perhaps someone is more familiar with Twitter and can offer a reason. On Twitter pages there is a section titled “who to follow”. Derick’s no longer has that. I am assuming one can disable it , perhaps? Why would he, if that’s the case? The accounts to follow vary, so it’s not always the same. Here’s Jill’s, at the moment, as an example:

9694FAB5-8E47-4B38-B36B-F4C268DD7D54.jpeg

Those are twitter generated suggestions, so when you go to someone's page, you'll get a list of whoever twitter thinks are similar users you might be interested in following. I don't think that's something anyone can disable. Is Derick's account still private? That might be why.

Edited by lascuba
  • Love 1
Just now, lascuba said:

Those are twitter generated suggestions, so when you go to someone's page, you'll get a list of whoever twitter thinks are similar users you might be interested in following.

Yes, but why would someone seemingly disable them? I’ve never been to a twitter page that didn’t have them. Derick’s did, and now it doesn’t.

4 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Yes, but why would someone seemingly disable them? I’ve never been to a twitter page that didn’t have them. Derick’s did, and now it doesn’t.

Oops, I didn't edit my post in time. I was thinking that if his account is still private, that might be the reason. But I just checked on someone I know with a locked account and she has that list on her page, so I don't know. 

ETA: Just checked...Derick's page isn't locked, and I'm seeink the list. 

Edited by lascuba
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Jennifer Arnold? A competent woman doctor with an education?  Is that a suggestion on who (whom? Grammar has left for the night) she should follow? What are the chances?

Jennifer Arnold, one of my heroes.  She never let her physical challenges hold her back from living the life she wanted.  She worked hard for everything she has.  Silly Jilly would do well to follow her example.

• Love 22
6 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Anyone think that the reason the most recent courtships seem to be allowed more 1 on 1 conversations and screen time is because Jill and  Derick weren’t allowed to? Josiah and Lauren had 5 hour skype sessions before officially courting. No chaperone was going to sit thererhat entire time. Maybe The girls parents have figured out there needs to be some actual honest conversations between the pairs. 

Lets’ face it- there is no way Jill and Derick had 1 meaningful conversation before the wedding. 

I think that even with in “normal” families, parents get looser with rules. The baby of 3 won’t have the same restrictions as the eldest did. Also JB knows that to keep the show going marriages etc need to happen- after Jessa threatened to elope with Ben if she didn’t get his blessing after Jill’s wedding, it may have dawned on them that the kids do have a bit of power. I think the only one that wouldn’t give them any push back would’ve been Joy-Anna because she is a bit dim. 

@Christina87 I agree with you that Joy and Austin aren’t disappointed in each other. I think they went into this like a typical arranged marriage- he wanted a wife, she didn’t object, there was some surface chemistry and all that. I do think in a few years as Joy matures and they get to know each other better actual happiness could grow- Joy needs to be more assertive and Austin needs to be less rigid. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I just want to know how they're financing this venture. Jill didn't make THAT much money from the show, and Derelict wasted $12k of it on his year-long Vacation Bible School.

I doubt Cathy has that kind of money available. It has to be federal student loans or Jim Bob student loans. ("I'll pay for you to become a lawyer, then you work for me until the end of time.") 

• Love 8
47 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's official. Derelict is a 1L at UofA.

https://directory.uark.edu/people/ddillard

What does this mean?

Derick Dillard

Professional Year 1 First Term 
LAWWJD - JD, Law  
LAWD - Dean of Law
ddillard@uark.edu

Is the Dean listed so people know who to complain to? 

A public university must have standards, so he can’t be that undeserving of his place, right?

Chief Justice Pirro’s supreme court will render Derick’s law school endeavour totally redundant. 

9 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I doubt Cathy has that kind of money available. It has to be federal student loans or Jim Bob student loans. ("I'll pay for you to become a lawyer, then you work for me until the end of time.") 

I think Cathy is fairly well off. 

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 2

Cathy might have some change set aside. She's always worked and I'm assuming there was some sort of life insurance on Derick's father. I don't know about Dan, but Derick went to OSU on a full ride, so that was a huge expense she didn't have to pay for the first time around. I hope she isn't financing him, because I don't see Derick doing anything useful with a law degree, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that she could do so.

• Love 7

Cathy may well have some money, but does she have "pay cash for loser son's law degree" kind of money? I still think it's either federal loans or Jim Bob loans. Jim Bob didn't make his money by being stupid -- I'm sure he sees the value of having his own personal peon lawyer. 

Is it confirmed that Derelict went to college on a full scholarship? I don't remember hearing that before, although I don't pay attention as closely as I could. 

• Love 3

Cathy is nearing retirement age and JB still has 9 or 10 kids at home. I don't think either of them have the money to finance Derick's education. Never mind, I don't think JB would pay for any of his in-laws education. And I doubt Jill has any money at all. 

I'm thinking both Jeremy and Derick have taken out sinful loans and aren't living by the JB commandment of living debt free.

I wonder how Jill and Derick are going to pay their living expenses. It's not like Jill can just hop back into the work force. At most, she could get a minimum wage job which would barely cover their rent. I'd be scared as hell if I was Jill.

And to repeat @kokapetl's question what does this mean?

LAWWJD - JD, Law  
LAWD - Dean of Law
ddillard@uark.edu

• Love 6

Derick graduated, and is now officially in law school. Lettuce in a bowl gets space on their blog, but these things aren’t mentioned. So strange.

I don’t think Jim Bob has anything to do with financing this. I don’t think he will exchange tuition for Derick’s services if he makes it through. Derick does not have a history of discretion.

I do wonder where they will live. He starts soon:

3976F174-6733-4F7D-96B4-C7720707D41B.jpeg

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Normades said:

There is a part of me that is actually worried about Jill's mental health if something did go horribly wrong with Sammy's birth and she can't have any more children.

I think that may be the reason they've both been acting crazier then ever this past year.

• Love 2

Maybe Dreck thinks Silly Jilly is so popular that the stupid recipes, and choppy YouTube vids will give them the funds they need while he attends law school.

He's just that stupid.

• Love 3

I wonder if Derick thinks he's going to be in administration at a college, when he's finished?  (Note that I scarcely know what I'm talking about, but it seems familiar from the mists of my memory, when my friends and I were trying to come up with alterna-career paths for a friend enrolled in an English doctorate program, who already had a JD degree in-hand.)

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think that even with in “normal” families, parents get looser with rules. The baby of 3 won’t have the same restrictions as the eldest did. Also JB knows that to keep the show going marriages etc need to happen- after Jessa threatened to elope with Ben if she didn’t get his blessing after Jill’s wedding, it may have dawned on them that the kids do have a bit of power. I think the only one that wouldn’t give them any push back would’ve been Joy-Anna because she is a bit dim.

This, and also, I think Jill didn't feel the need for real private conversations before getting married, or she thought him answering all her questions on her list was a real conversation. Thinking about this a bit more, I realize that Jill very loosely reminds me of a former friend of mine. This friend is nowhere near as stupid as Jill, but like Jill, she had a very definite plan in her mind about how her future marriage and family would go, and nothing would sway her from that, not even facts that were slapping her in the face. I won't go into details, except to say that the man she eventually married technically met all her requirements and was someone she was deeply attracted to, even though there were major red flags. I think that's what happened to Jill...she was super excited to finally be courting, she met this guy who agreed with everything she believed in and had all the right answers to her questions, and she saw the path to the life she thought she wanted. What difference could private conversations make, right? And that's both a sarcastic and a real question, because I don't think spending alone time would have made any difference for those two. Derick the unattractive and awkward dork had a girl who adored him, and Jill was getting the man and life of her dreams. It's not unlikely that even without the insane belief system, those two would still would have married and made many of the decisions that have led them to where they are now.

All of that said, I don't think those two are unhappy with each other, per se. With life in general, yes. With the reality of parenthood in comparison to caring for siblings, absolutely. But I don't think either of them blame the other for anything.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, LilJen said:

Does this mean Dreck actually passed the LSAT?

It would seem so.  From the University website:

Applicants should take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) before the end of February of the year in which they wish to enroll. Applications to the School of Law may be submitted prior to taking the LSAT. Applicants must have taken the LSAT during the five years preceding the date of application. The school will use an applicant's highest LSAT score in calculating the applicant's prediction index.

Prediction Index

We will grant index admission to non-residents who have a prediction index of 202 or above and to Arkansas residents who have a prediction index of 197 or above. If space permits, we may offer index admission to other applicants.

The prediction index is calculated as follows: (LSAT score) + (13.4 x UGPA) = Prediction Index. For example, if you have an LSAT score of 160 and a 3.00 UGPA, your prediction index would be 200.

All admitted students must have satisfied the legal profession's character and fitness requirements.

More here:  https://law.uark.edu/academics/jd/jd-how-to-apply.php

(Of course, we don't know precisely what his undergraduate GPA is in order to be able to judge.  Scuttlebutt I found online says that an average LSAT score would be 150, which is not to say that that's "good"; just that it's the average.  For all I know it rolls up folks who score 120, etc.)

Edited by queenanne
sorry, I can't fix this quote box!
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

LAWWJD - JD, Law  
LAWD - Dean of Law
ddillard@uark.edu

Wow. Making students' email addresses public seems like asking for trouble. I'm surprised UofA does that. I could understand a directory that was accessible to UofA students and staff but open to the general public? I wouldn't want my email address out like that.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, scriggle said:

Wow. Making students' email addresses public seems like asking for trouble. I'm surprised UofA does that. I could understand a directory that was accessible to UofA students and staff but open to the general public? I wouldn't want my email address out like that.

If I remember, my college email address was part of the directory for the university.  And I'm guessing this isn't his only email address.  And we talked about "no apparent source of income".  There may be some money/income that we don't know about.  I am also interested in how Jilly will fare with an absent husband.  the ex Mr. lookeyloo was in medical school when I married him.  I raised my children basically alone for the years I was married to him.  It is no picnic even with family around.  

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, scriggle said:

I am surprised he is listed under his own name. I would have thought that the University would have listed him with a pseudonym. I’ve seen it done for celebrities( teen stars, etc). 

Their IT department isn’t going to be happy. The flood of emails,viruses, spam will overwhelm their email system. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, scriggle said:

I think it's NBD for that email address to be published. It's not Derick's personal email account. It's a school account, provided and controlled by the school. Employees as well as students have those accounts. I assume that it's managed by the university like any corporate email system is managed, including a user agreement that states the terms and conditions of use, and that the user has no expectation of privacy as between himself and the university as to the content of all emails sent/received for that email account. @mythoughtis, I suppose it's possible that D-list Derick will get an extra helping of spam but I'd be surprised if it overwhelms the U of Arkansas system.

The university has more than 27,000 students, 1,353 faculty, 3,150 full-time staff, and some part-time staff. IMO Derick's email is just a drop in that bucket. I'd be surprised if Derick gets as much attention - or as much email, legit or spam - as the star members of the University's football team or its head coach.

Also, I don't know the U of A's policy, but I wouldn't be surprised if the email account is only going to be active while Derick is enrolled at the school, just as an employee email account is only active during one's employment. There may be some sort of courtesy "uark.edu" email address for graduates/alums; not sure how U of A handles that or if they do it at all.

46 minutes ago, LilJen said:

So Dreck spent at least some of his year as a "ministry intern" studying for and taking LSATs, it would seem.

The LSAT isn't the bar exam. Some prep is recommended, but over-preparation is discouraged. It's not a test of knowledge (you can't cram for it), but of certain kinds of analysis and reasoning skills that are relevant for studying and practicing law. See: I Took the LSAT with Zero Preparation (and scored a respectable 158).

I figure Derick would have done some LSAT preparation, but it wouldn't have been a huge intrusion on the time he needed to devote to his internship gopher ministry student activities at Cross Church.

Edited by Jeeves
correct typo; add numbers re U of A
  • Love 4

Just a funny aside, but my grandfather attended medical school after serving in the Navy during WW2. At his graduation, they actually had a ceremony honoring the wives for being the real heroes, because having a husband engrossed in 24/7 studies for years is not an easy road. They even gave them their own certificates, which my grandmother proudly kept on her dresser for sixty years. 

I can't picture Jill coping well while Derick is gone all day and night. She's too needy and clingy, and as others have said she can't exactly show up at the law school with the boys in tow and hang out all day. This is gonna be interesting...

• Love 18
14 minutes ago, SMama said:

I know that is not possible, but I bet she’ll figure out a way to make herself and kids a nuisance on campus.

Yeah, she'll bring him lunch every day like she did when he was at Walmart.

• Love 13

I'm amazed that he passed the "legal and professional fitness requirements".  Obviously the individual(s) doing the evaluation are idiots if they let him in. 

I do think he has enough education to pass the LSAT's, but like many here, doubt he will make it all the way through.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Heathen said:

While I'm sure JB would foam at the mouth at the thought of 'free' legal services for life I doubt he'd allow any SIL up in his business, especially a loose cannon like Drek. Maybe Cathy offered Drek his inheritance up front? My parents made a similar offer when little lulu69 went to college. We declined.

I just hope Drek's master plan isn't God will provide.

Edited by lulu69
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, SMama said:

Will she stick to Derick like a barnacle on a whale’s ass? Will she bring the kids or dump them with Jana? Then law school classes with Derick. Yay!!!!

I know that is not possible, but I bet she’ll figure out a way to make herself and kids a nuisance on campus.

2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I can't picture Jill coping well while Derick is gone all day and night. She's too needy and clingy, and as others have said she can't exactly show up at the law school with the boys in tow and hang out all day. This is gonna be interesting...

1 minute ago, Madtown said:

Yeah, she'll bring him lunch every day like she did when he was at Walmart.

LOL! I wouldn't be surprised if she continues her clinger ways. Or tries to. As noted, it won't be possible for her to hang out all day.

And, the U of A is huge (27,000+ students), as is its campus. I suppose Jill and the kids could make themselves fairly well known (famous, or infamous, depending on your point of view) around the Law School building(s), but they won't be a blip on the university's property overall.

One issue she'll encounter: where to park when she hauls herself and the kids onto campus. I've checked the campus map; student parking is a long hike from the Law School building. Jilly's probably used to small town ways, where you can drive up and park practically at the front door of any place you're visiting. Not so much on a big state university campus, as anyone who's attended or visited such a place will know. 

I wonder how reticent Derick's classmates will be about him, especially if he acts like a d*ck or Jilly turns up with his lunch every day (kids in tow of course). I assume the Walmart corporate culture and concern for their own jobs kept any annoyed co-workers quiet about Derick's behavior in his brief fling at accounting. There are some similar dynamics for law students: everybody's super-busy just trying to survive and thrive, and tattling to the tabloids about another student isn't behavior expected of a professional. OTOH, I'd bet that even the red-state U of Arkansas Law School isn't as buttoned-down as Walmart corporate, so who knows? I may stick some popcorn in the pantry, to be ready to settle down and watch the sh*tshow that we all know Derick could ignite with one of his Twitter rants. Heh.

1 minute ago, leighdear said:

I'm amazed that he passed the "legal and professional fitness requirements".  Obviously the individual(s) doing the evaluation are idiots if they let him in. 

I do think he has enough education to pass the LSAT's, but like many here, doubt he will make it all the way through.

I think that this was discussed several weeks ago. The "fitness" requirement for law school isn't an in-depth psychological assessment. It boils down to whether you have any arrests or criminal convictions, and maybe whether you've ever been involuntarily committed to a hospital for being so severely mentally ill that you're a danger to yourself or others. You get to be a little eccentric, you can be an atheist or extremely religious, and that's not their business, but they will have to give you a special review if you've been convicted of any felonies. 

• Love 12
23 minutes ago, leighdear said:

So I guess Dillweed being blackballed by an entire TV network is A-OK with the folks in admin.  Good call!  :)

Absolutely a good call. I'd probably look askance at someone heartily endorsed by TLC. :) Unless it was Dr. Pimple Popper. Her, I love. 

Joking aside, the "fitness" thing can be a dangerous slippery slope for any school. I haven't researched it, but I think it started way back in history as a way to keep minorities, women, atheists, adulterers, drunks, low-class people, and/or members of unpopular political movements, out of law school. As the law and society evolved, we're now at a point where schools can't discriminate on the basis of several factors including gender, race, religion, and national origin, and have to accommodate students with disabilities. A state school has to be especially careful to the extent its actions are considered in any way "governmental" which gets us to the First Amendment rights of applicants. So, no they aren't going to get into the merits of Derick's social media posts or who was right or wrong in his departure from TLC. He may be controversial in his small circle of celebrity, and he may be kind of a d*ck, but that doesn't make him "unfit" to enter law school. Schools IMO basically just try to cover their assets by screening for criminal records, and maybe severe mental/behavioral issues that resulted in institutionalization.  

Edited by Jeeves
clarity
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, xtwheeler said:

By the way, these ridiculous "covenant marriages" divorce restrictions are not enforceable in other states, meaning someone with a covenant marriage can move to another state, establish residency, and file for a regular old heathen divorce there. And what a  GREAT use of public funds! Covenant marriages are chosen less than 1% of the time a marriage license is issued. There's no good data on whether or not it has reduced divorces, but making divorces harder to obtain is well and thoroughly documented as a major risk factor for domestic violence. Idiots. If you don't want to get divorced so easily, . . . don't get divorced.

Also, it's not like regular divorce is super simple either. Speaking as someone finishing up a mutually agreed upon divorce, it's not easy even when it's fairly simple (mediation and a few lawyer tweaks over going to court), because it's not cheap, it's mentally exhausting to have to physically, legally, and emotionally dissect your marriage, and no one would do it for shits and giggles. 

I think the Duggars/Dillards think of divorce the way they think abortion is birth control; people get married and pregnant on monday, visit planned parenthood and the court on friday, and are married again by the next monday. They think that because someone chooses not to continue a pregnancy or marriage, they're being heathens who dont care, when it takes a lot of guts and emotional fortitude. 

• Love 16
14 minutes ago, questionfear said:

I think the Duggars/Dillards think of divorce the way they think abortion is birth control; people get married and pregnant on monday, visit planned parenthood and the court on friday, and are married again by the next monday. They think that because someone chooses not to continue a pregnancy or marriage, they're being heathens who dont care, when it takes a lot of guts and emotional fortitude. 

Well said. I think that's similar to their view of dating: that dating = having sex, and also dating = "giving away pieces of your heart" whatever that means.

I'm sure that JB and Michelle may know better, having not grown up sequestered from the world, but I really do wonder what their kids think. Didn't one of them say something on a recent episode that equated dating to a "one night stand"? 

• Love 4