Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I'll wait to see what you who have bought the book, say about it before I'll get it. I kind of take the People excerpt like I do with a track from a music group's new album. The track that gets put out as a first single can be really good and gets people to buy the album, then the rest of it sucks. I know from expeirence.
That excerpt was pretty big, so hoping the rest of the book will be really revealing, but it could suck like Jinger's too.

I don't give Derick much credit for anything because he's an ass. I will give him credit for taking her cue of squeezing his hand to not speak. I don't even think my husband could've kept his mouth shut during all that.

• Like 18

I haven't decided whether I want to reserve a copy yet or not, but I am interested to see more about Michelle in all this. The internet snarker community has been debating for years whether she's the secret brains of the operation (see JiiRod) or trapped like the kids (see Pepsi "addict" Teri Maxwell). From the excerpt, it seems like Michelle was distressed by the confrontation and she does still have at least some relationship with Jill. Maybe she's more of a victim than we thought... or not. I'm interested to see what comes out.

• Like 9

In Touch did an article a couple of days ago about JB being mad about changing her way of dressing (wearing pants).  Jill and Derick started going to a different church where women wore pants. Some of her siblings saw her and Derick out and went home and told JB she was wearing pants. He calls her out about it. Jinger was already wearing pants but JB said she called them and gave her biblical reasons why wearing pants was ok.  Huh?  I remember they had an episode where Jinger is talking about with her mom and Jinger actually starts crying. Those kids, especially daughter have been so messed up by JB & Michelle.

I wonder which of Jill's siblings "tattled" to JB?  He thinks he should control how his adult kids dress? It is sad when I first watched the show I just thought that they were a harmless overly fundie family.  My sister was telling me I should watch since they reminded her of a family (with 5 kids) I was good friends with who were very conservative. Yikes, it took me a while before I realized they were not harmless. 

Here is the article.  https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/jill-duggar-reveals-how-jim-bob-reacted-to-her-wearing-pants-in-book/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6
  • Applause 2
7 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Raises hand to add myself to the group reserving ebook at the library. I wish the best for Jill but not sure she is any better off with Dreck. He seems controlling too.

I’m 259th in line for the book from my library. There seems to be quite a bit of interest. I had zero interest in reading Jinger’s PR piece for McArthur. 

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 18
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Madtown said:

I'll wait to see what you who have bought the book, say about it before I'll get it. I kind of take the People excerpt like I do with a track from a music group's new album. The track that gets put out as a first single can be really good and gets people to buy the album, then the rest of it sucks. I know from expeirence.
That excerpt was pretty big, so hoping the rest of the book will be really revealing, but it could suck like Jinger's too.

I don't give Derick much credit for anything because he's an ass. I will give him credit for taking her cue of squeezing his hand to not speak. I don't even think my husband could've kept his mouth shut during all that.

I keep thinking back to Jill's best example of how much danger she was in in Danger America...a shower rack falling that she assumed was an intruder. With that in mind, I'm guessing that scene is as revealing as it gets.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
5 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I was just checking Jill's book on Amazon, and there are at least 5 other "biographies" of Jill by various authors, along with a couple of other books.  I guess she has become a hot topic.

I hope in the end this is healing for Jill and not something that turns into something too big to manage.

• Like 12
  • Useful 2

I think I figured out why the excerpts of Jill and Derick's book is making me a tad uneasy - I've never read an outright tell-all book before. I've read plenty of biographies and a few autobiographies, but never a tell-all. Even the books I've read authored by Fundies and/or adults who had horrible childhoods, weren't presented as tell-alls, but as stories of their lives with some harsh realities woven in.

Prince Harry's book (which I didn't read) seemed less about setting the record straight, but more about him being the innocent victim/hero. Harry, much like Derick were neither innocent victims nor heroes. They may have had legitimate grievances, navigated through shitty circumstances and dealt with assholes who held more power than any person should, but airing dirty laundry in the way Harry did in his book and Derick has done on SM is a tad immature, IMO. 

I'm certainly not saying Jill, or anyone else, shouldn't tell their story. I'm just saying I, personally, prefer a story peppered with facts/events rather than facts/events put together to make a story. (if that makes sense)

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

On Amazon (Best Sellers), it's currently at No. 7.

It's currently No. 1 in the Television Performer Biographies category.  (Jinger's still hanging on at No. 10.) 

eta:  It's also No. 1 in the Memoirs category.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 3
  • Useful 10
44 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Too hilarious....

Best Sellers Rank: #187 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)

#1 in Biographies of the Rich & Famous

#1 in Occult Cults & Demonism

#1 in Memoirs (Kindle Store)

Oh Goodness. If JB&M get wind of this they'll turn it into Satan building a fortress around Jill & Derick.

• Like 6
  • LOL 5
31 minutes ago, quarks said:

This is sort of a sidenote, but I read Prince Harry's book, and while I'd certainly agree that he aired out quite a bit of dirty laundry there, he also didn't present himself as the innocent victim/hero. He admitted to a number of major screwups and took responsibility for a number of things. And it's very clear in the book that he could have said many more things about various family members but chose not to. The entire book reads much less as someone trying to air dirty laundry/family secrets/get revenge, and much more as someone examining his life, and coming to the slow, mature realization that he is part of a toxic, white supremacist, colonialist culture causing major harm, not just to himself but to others. 

I haven't seen much of this same thing from Derick. From Jill, yes, and to a limited extent from Jinger. But not from Derick. And that's leaving aside Derick's history of attacking people who have done absolutely nothing to him - and failing to apologize for any of that. Or challenging any of his inner beliefs. 

But that said, both Harry and Derick did try to resolve things quietly and privately. And it's not just that the quiet, private method didn't work - but that it meant that the challenges to the authority systems here (the Windsors, Jim Bob) were coming largely from outsiders - instead of the more effective insiders.

Interesting, most of what I've read about Harry's book leaves out his personal growth, although Harry himself has mentioned it in interviews.

Although I do believe Jill has experienced some personal growth, it seems to me her growth has been both accidental and forced, which although good, IMO, doesn't provide the same insight as intentional growth. It appears Harry is determined to nurture his children in ways he wasn't nurtured. I'm not sure Jill is quite there yet.

As for Derick, I think he is very much like his FIL and I see no indication that will change.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think I figured out why the excerpts of Jill and Derick's book is making me a tad uneasy - I've never read an outright tell-all book before. I've read plenty of biographies and a few autobiographies, but never a tell-all. Even the books I've read authored by Fundies and/or adults who had horrible childhoods, weren't presented as tell-alls, but as stories of their lives with some harsh realities woven in.

Prince Harry's book (which I didn't read) seemed less about setting the record straight, but more about him being the innocent victim/hero. Harry, much like Derick were neither innocent victims nor heroes. They may have had legitimate grievances, navigated through shitty circumstances and dealt with assholes who held more power than any person should, but airing dirty laundry in the way Harry did in his book and Derick has done on SM is a tad immature, IMO. 

I'm certainly not saying Jill, or anyone else, shouldn't tell their story. I'm just saying I, personally, prefer a story peppered with facts/events rather than facts/events put together to make a story. (if that makes sense)

I’ll read them both before making any judgments. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, AstridM said:

I’ll read them both before making any judgments. 

Did you read Jinger's?

I have no problem speculating and judging these books without reading them. I mean I have speculated about and judged the Duggars for years without ever having all the information.

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, quarks said:

This is sort of a sidenote, but I read Prince Harry's book, and while I'd certainly agree that he aired out quite a bit of dirty laundry there, he also didn't present himself as the innocent victim/hero. He admitted to a number of major screwups and took responsibility for a number of things. And it's very clear in the book that he could have said many more things about various family members but chose not to. The entire book reads much less as someone trying to air dirty laundry/family secrets/get revenge, and much more as someone examining his life, and coming to the slow, mature realization that he is part of a toxic, white supremacist, colonialist culture causing major harm, not just to himself but to others. 

I haven't seen much of this same thing from Derick. From Jill, yes, and to a limited extent from Jinger. But not from Derick. And that's leaving aside Derick's history of attacking people who have done absolutely nothing to him - and failing to apologize for any of that. Or challenging any of his inner beliefs. 

But that said, both Harry and Derick did try to resolve things quietly and privately. And it's not just that the quiet, private method didn't work - but that it meant that the challenges to the authority systems here (the Windsors, Jim Bob) were coming largely from outsiders - instead of the more effective insiders.

Just wanted to say I agree with your assessment of Harry's book which i have also read

• Like 20
54 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Interesting, most of what I've read about Harry's book leaves out his personal growth, although Harry himself has mentioned it in interviews.

I read Harry's book and I didn't get much personal growth from it at all.  I found a raft load of blame shifting and whining though.  

I'll be surprised if there is a large amount of accepting his failures and personal growth from Derick in the book.  It is supposed to be Jill's book anyway isn't it so maybe my expectations for Derick should be low.

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 12
2 hours ago, quarks said:

I guess this is why so many of us have been hoping one of the kids would really break loose in the way some other cult members have.  Jill may not have gone quite as far as many of us hoped (I can't be the only one who wanted a searing tell all followed by a blockbuster movie) but it is a start.  Maybe by the time the grandkids get old enough we'll finally see a Duggar fronting a heavy metal band or working for Planned Parenthood.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

On Reddit someone summarized the People Magazine interview.  The best thing I saw in the summary was the boys are still* in public school.  Also, Jinger and Jeremy are supportive of them.  

* ETA the summary used still but the article said (their older boys attend public school).   That would mean now so I guess there is a possibility they maybe home schooled after the move for a year.   

Edited by auntieminem
ETA
  • Like 14

I think JB and Michelle are reprehensible and that excerpt from the book reads like pure fiction dictated by Derrick. Are we truly to believe that Jill, who excused away Josh's abuse and went along with the "we don't even remember it, it was all above our clothes" BS, really stood up to her father that way?

That entire passage just reads very afterschool special. I'm willing to bed that 90% of this book is Derick's interpretation of events. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Even if that didn’t happen (and the fact that JB hasn’t come out defending himself makes me think it did) she was willing to put that in print and sign her name to it. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Like 22
51 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

2- Wasn't the Ashley Madison scandal after the Kelly interview? Imagine, putting your pain out there for the world to see, but believing what your parents and church told you: That this was a satanic attack that happens in "a lot of families" and now Josh was cured thanks to the correct Jesus. Except... not so much. So now, not only does everyone know what happened, you and your family go from wholesome family fame to the punchline of every joke about fundie hypocrisy.

I really think that's what did it for her...she'd still be defending Josh if not for Ashley Madison. The fallout from that has been massive.

I won't read the book...even if I were willing to give fundies generally and Jill specifically any money, Jill and Derick have never been well spoken or, imo, honest. Even with a ghost writer, I don't think I'd be able to get through anything they come up with. I'm nosy enough to read what's posted about it here, but that's it.

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, Absolom said:

All those experiences plus going through therapy makes a big difference plus being away from JB.  That Jim Bob think it's OK to be terrorizing Jill in front of witnesses really makes me wonder how he acts in private.  

Taking my reply over to the Boob and Meech topic.

• Like 4

Jill has been associating with people not in the cult.  People her age, married with kids.  People who would  have told her that she is married, over 21 and that either of those two things mean JB doesn’t get to control her behavior.  They probably also explained ‘leave and cleave’ to her.   Michele certainly knew what those words  meant when Josh  got married. 

• Like 18
9 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

I guess this is why so many of us have been hoping one of the kids would really break loose in the way some other cult members have.  Jill may not have gone quite as far as many of us hoped (I can't be the only one who wanted a searing tell all followed by a blockbuster movie) but it is a start.  Maybe by the time the grandkids get old enough we'll finally see a Duggar fronting a heavy metal band or working for Planned Parenthood.

No, and I still get frustrated with her for not going far enough and still think Derrick is vile and terrible. Jill probably shares those believes. But out of all the Duggar kids Jill was the one who believed the most in her parents' shit. She was the spokeperson for her sisters and the kids in general (except for Josh) and she was the first one to break. Out of all the kids she was the last one I expected to ever break. But she did. That's huge.

• Like 18

I am torn between wanting to read the book and not wanting to read the book.  I know I don't have the money to buy the book right now and I don't have the space to keep another hardback book.   Maybe I'll go over to a bookstore one Saturday and spend the day reading (since I know the library will have them checked out).  Somehow I don't think this book will take me multiple days to read.   I am looking forward to reading what others have to say about the book, and who knows, maybe in six months or so if the Kindle version goes down to under $5 and with my Kindle credits, I might get the book for a couple of dollars.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Like 6
6 hours ago, Triple P said:

I just read an excerpt from the book, and apparently Josh was sitting just off camera during the entire Megyn Kelly interview, which served to increase the trauma for Jill. Her breakdown during the interview, while completely understandable before, is unequivocally understandable with that knowledge.

I am not surprised by this, but it does make sense regarding poor Jill’s reaction. And I feel for Jessa too. I blame JB/Michelle for putting them in that situation. 

• Like 23
47 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Today is the day. I wonder how many folks have actually read the book yet. I'm assuming it'll be a quick read, especially since its under 300 pages.

I'm seeing some reviews/recaps on reddit. I have it - my Kindle version dropped promptly at midnight Eastern time. But I have errands to run this morning. I'm going to save reading it for my afternoon's activty. 

I have opened it up to the dedication:

To those who have been harmed in the name of “religion.”

To those who have suffered behind closed doors and have yet to find their voice.

To those who have begun to find their voice but may still be living in a season of isolation.

To those who like Esther of the Old Testament Bible story have courageously answered the call for “such a time as this” (Esther 4:14), and despite the backlash have now found their voice.

From victims and survivors, to strangers, family, and friends, this book is dedicated to you. May you all know that you are not alone. That your story, your voice, and your mental health matter.

The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. —Psalm 9:9 ESV

--Duggar, Jill. Counting the Cost (p. V). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition. 

The title page cites Jill as the author - "with Derick Dillard and Craig Borlase." IMO Borlase was a seriously good choice. From his website:

Craig Borlase is a New York Times bestselling writer, specializing in crafting dramatic, engaging memoirs. Previous work includes Finding Gobi — the international and New York Times bestselling account of an ultra-marathon runner's chance encounter with a stray dog in the Mongolian desert, now translated into twenty-one languages — and My Name Is Tani — the story of an eight year old chess prodigy living in a homeless shelter in NYC. Films of both books are currently in development . . .

Recent projects include 27 Summers — a powerful story of redemption for an African American man sentenced to life for a crime he committed as a child — and Counting The Cost with Jill Duggar and Derick Dillard. The memoir is a first hand account of life beneath the surface of one of the most successful reality tv families of recent years.

Craig has collaborated with a wide range of authors on more than fifty books, from a global entertainment icon to a former Muslim woman who was one week away from becoming a suicide bomber. Previous work has taken him to Iraq, Jordan, China, Haiti, India, Sweden, Cuba, Uganda, Australia and all over the United States.

I'm going to try to stay off of online forums that might discuss the book until I've finished reading it. I have my own questions and want to meet the material with fresh eyes, if that makes sense. Toodles!

Edited by Jeeves
Formatting quotes
  • Like 17
  • Useful 3
10 hours ago, Triple P said:

I just read an excerpt from the book, and apparently Josh was sitting just off camera during the entire Megyn Kelly interview, which served to increase the trauma for Jill. Her breakdown during the interview, while completely understandable before, is unequivocally understandable with that knowledge.

I think I remember this from the time of the program.  This, plus stating in court that he couldn't remember when Josh molested his sisters really firmed up my total  distaste and dislike for JB and his entire cult.

• Like 12
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1

thanks for posting the link to the gma interview --i missed it by seconds.

i opted to buy the book -- figured that the pennies they would make is worth it for me to read the her version of their life. its coming today.

Edited by zoomama
  • Like 8