Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

No way Josh should have been present in the room for that.  He wasn’t even interviewed.  

My guess is that Josh was there in the hopes of being allowed to "tell his side of the story" - it's even possible that Megyn Kelly did interview him (either before or after the Jill/Jessa interview) but that some Fox producer/executive had the common sense to realize that airing that interview would be a really bad idea.

Which doesn't justify having Josh in the same room during the Jill/Jessa interview. And just - even leaving aside the massive ethical/journalistic failures there (not that we should), did Megyn Kelly just.....not realize that she could have gotten a much better interview from both Jill and Jessa if Josh had simply been asked to wait in another room?

• Like 18
11 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Someone said she described the traumatic Sam birth in the book. I am curious what happened.

On reddit I read some thing from the book and it really looks like she told a lot 

Per the recaps I've seen on Reddit, her uterus ruptured and she nearly bled to death. Sam was also born with a brain bleed. 

Edited by Zella
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 24
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, DeeReynolds said:

This part annoys me a little - 

She also claims once she made it clear a camera crew couldn't tag along, production allegedly told her they would not help pay for it either.

I'm highly sympathetic to Jill, but you tell them they can't film your honeymoon (which really was the right decision, I think) but then mention they won't pay for it if they can't film it? Why would they pay for it?

I'm finding the excerpts very interesting so far. But... lying Derick is never far from my mind and of course even for Jill (and everyone) time, ego and in this case money, can skew memories. I going to believe the gist of everything is true but maybe infused with some slants.

In other words... If this was asshole JB writing a tell-all about sweet-but-Duggar Jill I would feel the book would be filled with lies. But just because sweet-but-Duggar Jill is writing about asshole JB doesn't mean I'm going to take everything as 100% accurate.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
On 9/10/2023 at 4:38 PM, AstridM said:

I’m 259th in line for the book from my library. There seems to be quite a bit of interest. I had zero interest in reading Jinger’s PR piece for McArthur. 

I'm first in line at my library. I guess there are not many interested in it here. I'm waiting for it to come in. 

• Like 7

Reading snippets of the book people are posting on Reddit, I can't blame Derick one bit for going after JB for money they were owed. I'm not sure if some of the stuff I'm reading was ever mentioned here, I can't recall that it was, but I would've went after JB with everything I had after reading these snippits. I can totally see why he went to law school.

I'm going to have to get this book.

• Like 16
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Turquoise said:

The phrasing is weird, but I thought what Jill was trying to say was production thought if they held a paid-for honeymoon over their heads they would cave and allow filming. It didn't work.

I know there had been speculation for some time why Jill had a more modest honeymoon than her siblings. This would be why.

That makes sense. I'll see how it is portrayed in the book - I had an audible credit to burn before I could cancel! 

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm finding the excerpts very interesting so far. But... lying Derick is never far from my mind and of course even for Jill (and everyone) time, ego and in this case money, can skew memories. I going to believe the gist of everything is true but maybe infused with some slants.

In other words... If this was asshole JB writing a tell-all about sweet-but-Duggar Jill I would feel the book would be filled with lies. But just because sweet-but-Duggar Jill is writing about asshole JB doesn't mean I'm going to take everything as 100% accurate.

Yeah, I believe broad strokes of what is said but as she's going on about what a people pleaser she's always been, a small part of me wonders if some of this is her being a people pleaser - she gets a ton of positive attention for "breaking free."  I don't know. This type of thing is a process. I hope she eventually (if she hasn't already) finds her true self instead of going from trying to please her family to trying to please people in general.

I just finished reading Jill's book. I finished in about 4-5 hours and really enjoyed it. I've always had a soft spot for Jill. I've been a people pleaser too. I think it's a well written, honest and open telling of Jill's unusual life. She loves her parents, especially her Mom. I think the most surprising thing in the book was that Michelle showed up late at night and delivered the contract from Mad Productions that Jill and Derick had asked for many times through their attorney. JB turned a deaf ear to their request and I'm left to wonder if Michelle decided on her own to deliver it and did so impulsively and against JB's wishes. That made me have a bit more respect for Michelle. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6
  • Useful 4

To those who have been harmed in the name of “religion.”

There is no fallacy more infuriating to me than the "No true Scotsman" fallacy. It's a religion Jill. It's the same exact religion you believe in minus a few minutiae.

• Like 13
  • Love 1

So, let me get this right, Jill found out Jim Bob claimed, on her taxes , that Jill received money that she never got. Jill confronted him about it. Jim Bob then sent Jill an itemized bill for her "expenses". He than said she was going to inherit 1/19th of his inheritance one day but than he said something like, "if you cause trouble that amount will change.

1/19th

So I guess Josh's trouble is not as bad as Jill's

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 16
  • Sad 1

The news about the uterine rupture was scary. If she had a hole that big, wouldn’t it be hard to carry again? 
I didn’t read Jinger’s fluff piece but this sounds pretty interesting. I’m on the fence especially since thing are discussed so we’ll here, though I’d like for her book to make more than Jingers. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

Before Jill delivered Sam we did discuss the risk of uterine rupture with trying a VBAC and didn't Jill start out at home?  I can't remember how long she labored before going to the hospital.  I'm not blaming Jill, but her abysmal midwife training and family pressure.

• Like 13
5 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Before Jill delivered Sam we did discuss the risk of uterine rupture with trying a VBAC and didn't Jill start out at home?  I can't remember how long she labored before going to the hospital.  I'm not blaming Jill, but her abysmal midwife training and family pressure.

I thought Jill knew she had to go to the hospital. Lay midwives in AR can't oversee VBACs. 

• Useful 1

Keep the thread on the topic of Jill and Derick; unless you are comparing this book to another book about the subject of the Duggar family (such as Jinger’s book or similar), your post is off topic and will be removed.

10 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I thought Jill knew she had to go to the hospital. Lay midwives in AR can't oversee VBACs. 

We knew that and what a risk it was and the person who was allegedly helping her denied being there.  

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
15 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

So she labored at home for the majority of her trial? My god, how stupid! 

Exactly.  She labored at home for at least 40 hours from articles still available.  I think at first Derick said it was even longer than that.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Exactly.  She labored at home for at least 40 hours from articles still available.  I think at first Derick said it was even longer than that.

I remember her laboring at home that long with Izzy. I had no memory of her doing the same attempting a VBAC. smh

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, satrunrose said:

Oh, so all Derrick's complaints about medical bills were about JB not TLC. That makes sense.

It makes me wonder about his social media ranting about TLC. Was that general lashing out because he couldn't criticize JB publicly or did he hold TLC equally responsible? I don't expect the book covers any of of their own bad behavior?

19 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

So she labored at home for the majority of her trial? My god, how stupid! 

Very, and from what I've read not uncommon among the lay midwives and the homebirth set. It doesn't matter what they're legally allowed to do...a lot people are desperate for to give birth at home and their are plenty of unscrupulous "midwives" happy to cash those checks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

This was the Dillard announcement for Sam.

“We are excited to finally announce the arrival of Samuel Scott Dillard,” the family said. “The newest addition to our family arrived on Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 1:02pm. He weighs 9lb 10oz and is 22” long. After 40 hours of labor, he was delivered via C-section at the hospital. Jul 10, 2017

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 8
2 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I think I now know someone that I possibly detest more than Kody Brown....well, maybe not. He and JB are tied. 

Oh goodness, they are both vile, aren't they?! I think it depends on the moment and the circumstances where they edge each other out. I'll give JB one point in the plus column though - I don't think JB intended to be an asshole but turned into one. I think Kody was an asshole from the get go.

• Like 12
2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Fuck off, Jim Bob. Not only am I willing to help Jill out by buying this book, knowing that you must be absolutely seething as you watch it climb up the best seller list, makes me want to buy it even more. I hope she makes a ton of cash off this, and you fucking suffer. Piece of shit. 

Yes ! I might buy more than one copy,,,and hope that ugly, gross, piece of shit Jboob's head explodes when its at the top of the best seller list.

2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Derick may have stuck his foot in his mouth on more than one occasion, but he seems to have grown up a little bit. And he seems to be wiling to go to the mat for his wife. I can't think badly of him for all that. Plus, anyone willing to question JB's authority and stand up to that skeevy prick...high five, Dillard. 

👍 Very well said.

• Like 19
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I remember her laboring at home that long with Izzy. I had no memory of her doing the same attempting a VBAC. smh

She labored way longer than 40 hours at home with Israel if their posts and the story told in the show are to be believed.  She "labored" through going out with Derick to get pedicures!  

This was based on Derick's second version of Sam's birth where he had shortened the labor at home time.

https://cafemom.com/entertainment/209947-jill-duggar-son-sam-birth/211664-whatever_happened_when_sam_made

11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

This was the Dillard announcement for Sam.

“We are excited to finally announce the arrival of Samuel Scott Dillard,” the family said. “The newest addition to our family arrived on Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 1:02pm. He weighs 9lb 10oz and is 22” long. After 40 hours of labor, he was delivered via C-section at the hospital. Jul 10, 2017

That was Derick's second version.  He deleted the more accurate first version that alluded to some issues.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 10
  • Love 1

I believe they decided to keep Sam's health private until they knew what they were dealing with. Fortunately his brain bleed corrected and he is developing normally. 

Didn't Jill also have her gall bladder out after delivering Sam? I don't think that made it into the book. Maybe they decided to be more circumspect about Jill's health too? Or they just decided it wasn't relevant to the story they were telling? 

• Like 6
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh goodness, they are both vile, aren't they?! I think it depends on the moment and the circumstances where they edge each other out. I'll give JB one point in the plus column though - I don't think JB intended to be an asshole but turned into one. I think Kody was an asshole from the get go.

Jesus. They both suck so much. Both treat their children like pawns to serve the headship, Kodouche giving zero fucks when his teenage daughter had SPINAL SURGERY, and being a horn dog and courting potential Wifey 4 while Wifey 3 was in the hospital, giving birth to his child, to JimBlob's abusive and neglectful behavior toward his daughters,  siding, supporting and enabling the son that molested them, and bogarting all the cash that his kids earned by having their childhood's filmed and broadcast to the masses. Hell, at least Kate Gosselin, as vile as she is, had trusts set up for her kids, and they are getting first class educations (if they choose) because of it. Jim Blob...NOTHING. Education? Oh, hell no! Trust funds? Nope. You'll get our money when we die, kids. Fuck him sideways with a plugged in curling iron (sorry for the visual). Kodouche is certainly not funding any college educations. Those kids are on their own with government grants and loans if they want to attend college. Except Day-unn. Kodouche MAY be paying for Sobbyn's golden children. 

Those two "men" have to be pretty shitty excuses for human beings to make Kate and Jon look like shiny examples. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 8
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, dariafan said:

The show became Jill and Jessa counting on.   Why was Jim boob getting the money for it ?  I mean I know why , but why didn’t tlc ask some questions ???

I don't think TLC could care less. I think they only changed the name so they could keep their ratings from the Duggars while appearing to distance themselves from the problematic parents - Jessa and Jill were pretty sympathetic in the public eye in the immediate aftermath of the Fox interview. 

Jim Bob is definitely the bad guy here, but the producers at TLC are pretty villainous themselves, I think.  

Just now, ginger90 said:

No, it was a few weeks after Frederick “Freddy” was born. 

Oh duh! I got my Dillard kids mixed up. But it still didn't make it into the book, unless I'm remembering that wrong too!

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, dariafan said:

The show became Jill and Jessa counting on.   Why was Jim boob getting the money for it ?  I mean I know why , but why didn’t tlc ask some questions ???

For a number of reasons, Hollywood studios usually don't negotiate directly with talent, but through agency/management companies.

What went very wrong here, among other things, is that Jim Bob and Michelle seem to have decided to act as their own agency/management/production company, giving us great examples of just why none of this is a good idea.

TLC may very well have had questions, but....in general it's considered mildly to extremely unethical for a studio to tell talent "Hey, we have some qualms about your manager/agency." So TLC could use that practice to just, not ask questions. 

• Useful 12
25 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

So if TLC left Nepal early, was the scene when Derick asked Jill to be in a courtship fake? Or did they know within the first 5 days and the scene was real?

It was real. Jill wrote:

Just before we faked our goodbyes for the show, Derick asked me on-camera if I would be willing to start an official courtship. My yes was 100 percent straight from the heart.

-- Duggar, Jill. Counting the Cost (p. 78). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition. 

So the courtship acceptance was genuine, and they just performed a goodbye scene for the cameras after that.

Based on what she wrote, I don't think she would have faked accepting a courtship. In setting up the trip, she and Derick had both agreed that if their meeting didn't result in a courtship, that would be made known in the episode, as awkward as that would have been.  I suppose if they hadn't clicked, Derick wouldn't have asked her to court for the cameras. And in that case, whatever their goodbye scene looked like would have been consistent with the "nice try, but this didn't work out" situation. 

ETA: I left this bit out in my post above because it was getting long. But I gotta share. During that week in Nepal after the film crew left, she mentioned moments when JB gave them space "and our feelings grew."  Here's what I want to share. So much for the courtship rules when the headship falls asleep on his bed, LOL:

Like the evening when Pops was chaperoning us in the room that he and I were sharing, but he ended up falling asleep. Derick and I sat on the end of the bed eating hot chicken fried rice out of makeshift tinfoil bowls that Derick had grabbed from a street vendor. We talked about everything and nothing, and when it was time to go, Derick looked at me.

"Goodnight,” he said. “I love you.”

“Goodnight,” I said. “I love you too.”

--- Duggar, Jill. Counting the Cost (p. 79). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Zella said:

I've long thought TLC was a quiet villain in all this that doesn't get enough criticism. I think they've made it clear time and again that they really don't care as long as they were getting what they wanted. They didn't ask questions because they didn't care about the answers. 

Yeah. I want to be clear that I'm by no means excusing TLC's role in this - the very best, kindest interpretation of their role here was that they were underpaying the entire group and exploiting their ignorance of entertainment law and practices, and that, again, is the very best, kindest, interpretation.

But a studio saying, "Hey, Talent, I think you might want to seek alternative representation/management" is, most of the time, wildly unethical/a real red flag, so on that tiny point I'm willing to cut TLC a break here. 

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, quarks said:

But a studio saying, "Hey, Talent, I think you might want to seek alternative representation/management" is, most of the time, wildly unethical/a real red flag, so on that tiny point I'm willing to cut TLC a break here. 

I wasn't really responding to that part of the conversation. I am talking about TLC's role in general. Time and again, they quietly stood by and waited until the last minute to cancel the Duggars because they clearly didn't want to and only had to do so when they realized the public opinion backlash was too much. I am sure they saw much more incriminating shit than Jim Bob being a greedy asshole, and they didn't care. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 17
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

I wasn't really responding to that part of the conversation. I am talking about TLC's role in general. Time and again, they quietly stood by and waited until the last minute to cancel the Duggars because they clearly didn't want to and only had to do so when they realized the public opinion backlash was too much. I am sure they saw much more incriminating shit than Jim Bob being a greedy asshole, and they didn't care. 

(nods)

100% agreed. I was just responding to the person who wanted to know why TLC wasn't asking questions, and noting that in general, studios do not discuss agency/management choices with talent.

But as far as I can tell, TLC did see enough to justify contacting the IRS, at the very least. That would not have involved speaking directly to talent about their management, and would not have been unethical or unheard of. But I've seen no evidence that anyone at TLC reached out to the IRS or any other legal authority, which strongly suggests that, as you say, they didn't care. 

• Like 10
3 minutes ago, quarks said:

But as far as I can tell, TLC did see enough to justify contacting the IRS, at the very least. That would not have involved speaking directly to talent about their management, and would not have been unethical or unheard of. But I've seen no evidence that anyone at TLC reached out to the IRS or any other legal authority, which strongly suggests that, as you say, they didn't care. 

If the end result of this memoir is Jim Bob getting the Al Capone treatment (I mean the building time due to tax evasion charges not the syphilis LOL), that's some very wonderful karma. And I say that as someone who still side-eyes Derrick a lot. 

I would love to know what conversation Jill had with the ghost writer about the discussion around the tax stuff. I don't think that would have been published if they weren't both very aware of the potential legal implications for Jim Bob if someone were interested in following up on that. 

• Like 17
  • Love 1