Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I'm always surprised that the Duggar J'slaves aren't better at some skills that are VERY popular within the fundie community. I lived next to a pretty fundie family (although the girls were allowed to wear shorts, they went to public school, etc). The mom was great at knitting and crocheting. It was very popular among her group of friends. I do wonder why Jill/Jessa/Jinger/Jana can't take some classes and even open a small business selling sweaters or scarves or mittens. To me that takes time but it's not as if they have jobs and it beats hawking krispy kremes and corn dogs but ...

• Love 14
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

They could easily knit baby clothes, or sew quilts, or make pies, or make jam, or any number of other "womens' work" activities and sell them in local farmers's markets.

They don't because they have absolutely no skills in the universe of old fashioned "womens's work" tasks that are part of the lifestyle they insist that they want to live, or that their parents insist they have been preparing for their entire lives.

They can't take any classes because 1) they know everything there is to know about everything, 2) they might be exposed to non-fundies and 3) they are all so very "busy" doing very very little.

I am a quilter. I can almost guarantee they could never sell any of their crafts at a price that would make them a profit even if they didn’t factor in the hours of labor. My blog and forum friends have all said with various crafts people say “nice. I can get one at Walmart for $20”. But they could make little dresses for Africa and NICU hats and donate them. 

• Love 13
29 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

But they could make little dresses for Africa and NICU hats and donate them. 

It probably varies by location, but I'm a knitter, and most hospitals don't take hand knits for the preemies & at-risk babies anymore due to infection control policies.  However, my knitting group DOES make shawls & lap blankets for Hospice patients, as they don't have the same stringent requirements.  Sadly, those items always go home with the family members.

But these are Duggars, and charity is something they strictly TAKE.   And the single, family hand-me-down dress Jessa's girl is wearing in one picture doesn't count.  Jessa didn't make it, and that baby won't fit into that dress by next week.  Jana is the only one that can even sew marginally well.  The rest simply can't be bothered. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
23 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Pioneer Dr Jill Woman has seemed to have mastered IG. I mean it's not sewing or cooking. Or cleaning. Or gardening and canning. But ... IG, Yay!

*thud of a child falling off furniture in the background*

• LOL 21
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Her Yays kill me. It’s like her favorite comment followed by lol.

🙄🙄🙄

Which in turn is followed closely by "Are you excited?" Why do the kids always have to be excited about doing or seeing something? Can't they just enjoy something without having to bubble over with enthusiasm?

And I absolutely do not want to know when Derick is "excited". 🤢

• LOL 14
  • Love 4

I think the thing about them being "influencers" is that they just aren't very interesting. I do follow some celebrity Instagram peeps and the best ones IMO are funny and witty. For instance I'm not a huge Reese Witherspoon fan but she does photograph herself doing interesting stuff and having fun. I feel like if any of them had actual hobbies they would actually be more effective "influencers" because their content is more interesting. As it stands now, Jessa mostly posts cute baby pics, Jinger posts about her expensive tastes in Cali, and Jill posts about ... freebies that she gets. 

• Love 12
56 minutes ago, leighdear said:

It probably varies by location, but I'm a knitter, and most hospitals don't take hand knits for the preemies & at-risk babies anymore due to infection control policies.  However, my knitting group DOES make shawls & lap blankets for Hospice patients, as they don't have the same stringent requirements.  Sadly, those items always go home with the family members.

But these are Duggars, and charity is something they strictly TAKE.   And the single, family hand-me-down dress Jessa's girl is wearing in one picture doesn't count.  Jessa didn't make it, and that baby won't fit into that dress by next week.  Jana is the only one that can even sew marginally well.  The rest simply can't be bothered. 

It is possible to take a hobby like quilting or needlework and make some money from it, but it takes a very clear vision and/or special talent.  I worked with a nurse who had been knitting since she was a kid and was phenomenally talented.  She did special pieces for a high end boutique in town.  Quite often, a customer would bring in a photo from a magazine or a pic of a celebrity wearing a fancy sweater or poncho or whatever and Paula would be able to reproduce it row by row without a pattern.  She was very familiar with the various yarns and colors and could tell by looking what she needed to use materials-wise.  The boutique would give her the measurements for the customer and she would get it done in a heartbeat.  She did some really intricate and unique stuff and was paid several hundred bucks apiece.  She had some health issues and did the knitting on the side so she could work part-time as a nurse since full time nursing was too physically difficult.  She was one of the fastest knitters I've ever seen, too.  On a slow night at the hospital, she could knock out an amazing amount of work and every stitch was perfect. However, she really had a very special talent and I don't think most knitters would be able to do what she did.  The Duggars don't really seem to want to nurture or develop any special skills, they're satisfied with mediocrity.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, AnnaBaptist said:

Which in turn is followed closely by "Are you excited?" Why do the kids always have to be excited about doing or seeing something? Can't they just enjoy something without having to bubble over with enthusiasm?

And I absolutely do not want to know when Derick is "excited". 🤢

I'm curious: is it normal to ask children if they are excited about doing something? I don't think I have ever asked my children that. I have asked, on occasion, "Are you looking forward to it?" or the more open-ended "How do you feel about going to (or doing) this?" Maybe it is because I am a low-key person; however, I don't recall my friends saying that to their children, either. Perhaps it is a regional thing.

Edited by AnnaBaptist
Correct usage is important
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I am a quilter. I can almost guarantee they could never sell any of their crafts at a price that would make them a profit even if they didn’t factor in the hours of labor. My blog and forum friends have all said with various crafts people say “nice. I can get one at Walmart for $20”. But they could make little dresses for Africa and NICU hats and donate them. 

I agree in the sense that most people who think that making money from their quilts, or pies, or jams don't really think it through, and don't look into their prospective business from a business perspective: how much do my raw materials cost? How much time and effort does it take to complete a unit? What is the potential markup? What is the market price for these things? Is there a market for what I want to make at the price I can afford to make it?

The thing that these lazy slobs have going for them is a built-in supply of customers who will buy their shit because it's made by "the Duggars." Think of how much better jam tastes when it's made by Christians! Think if how envious your friends would be if you had a quilt made by Jana Duggar! Think of how much more a pie is worth if it's made by people who believe in the right Jesus!

i also agree with @leighdear. The Duggars don't do "charity" and they don't do "giving." J'chelle, Jana, Jill, and Jessa (to name a few), are home all day with nothing to do, but it has literally never occurred to them (outside of an episode of the show) to volunteer one minute of their time. How many posts did Jill make of herself making teeny tiny pieces of banana bread to share with the heathens in DA because it was such an amazing act of generosity on her part?

• Love 13
3 hours ago, leighdear said:

Sadly, those items always go home with the family members.

My mother has the shawl made for her by the church knitting group and even still has the blanket the Girl Scouts dropped off.  

There are so many helpful activities the Duggars could pursue, but they've been modeled self-interest before all else.

• Love 9

So wait, Derick went to the burning pit of hell and sin that is a PUBLIC high school? And he was on the TRACK team which is usually in high school mixed so he might have seen the sweaty, tank-tops-and-running-shorts bodies of FEMALES? The horrors, the horrors! 

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, allonsyalice said:

LMAO does she read? What does she read!?!?

She actually does read and posts the books on Instagram.  Reading between the lines, someone has encouraged her to read a fair amount of christian self-help books.  Jill has a long way to go, but she is trying to better herself.  I do wonder if she is seeing a therapist on the sly or if this is just someone at church pointing her in the right direction.  Derick also has her listening to a podcast based on a Yale University professor's course on happiness.  Derick does seem to love Jill and want her to get past her family and not broadcast this to the world.  I find Derick and Jill fascinating.  One day they show you a sweet glimpse into their lives, and the next day Jill posts some stupid video or picture of her boys, and Derick goes off on a Twitter rant.  They are so all over the place.

• Love 22
5 hours ago, kokapetl said:

She looks like a National Geographic peasant. 

So, did Jill think this was in any way attractive or interesting?  I'm baffled as to why someone would take an unflattering picture of themselves, squinting and gummy grinning, and post it like someone is waiting to see it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 11/1/2019 at 9:08 PM, ginger90 said:

C76484BC-7540-4983-BC4B-AD8999C0AFC6.jpeg

Hey Sweetheart....

Want to impress us? Put that pickle juice in a Bloody Mary. Drink it slowly. Enjoy it. Taste the vodka. If you are feeling frisky, make another. Add celery, shrimp, olives....anything you want. Not only will you love it, but it will be your first non-beige meal you posted. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 4

I think Jill likes the bohemian bo-ho look. Thus her love for the bandanas, the casual sweaters, the faded jeans. I think it's probably a mini-rebellion from the days when skirts, crimped hair, and collared blouses were the J'slave uniform. It's sort of getting away from that look without really getting away from it.

I think in general that's where Jill and Derick are. Halfway here, halfway there. They aren't on the show anymore, Derick is going to school, they seem to have some way of family planning and don't want 19 kids, but on the other hand Jill hasn't shed the Duggar habits of free-loading, awful time management, and junk food. 

I have to say I like Jill's bohemian look better than Jinger's USWeekly look. Jinger like her headship Jeremy has expensive tastes but somehow the bleached blond look and Forever-21 styles look tacky. 

• Love 24
20 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jill had her "5 minutes alone" in the car on Halloween, so evidently Derelict took the sick boys into either Chipotle or Krispy Kreme (or both). Point being, the boys didn't spend the entire food crawl in the car.

THIS drives me nuts.  Spread those germs to food workers and the like.  They have no respect for anyone.

• Love 17
15 hours ago, leighdear said:

It probably varies by location, but I'm a knitter, and most hospitals don't take hand knits for the preemies & at-risk babies anymore due to infection control policies. 

My granddaughter decided to come two months early so she is in NICU right now and inside her incubator was a crocheted octopus with curly tentacles. The nurse said it reminds the babies of their umbilical cords and gives them something to hold on to. This is in Indiana.

I am a little surprised that none of the Duggars seem particularly crafty. It seems with their built in fan base they could do very well selling things. I know we just spent $100 on a baby quilt that was handmade by nuns, "Guaranteed to be a prayer in every stitch!" I could see the leg humpers go crazy for something like that or little crocheted baby hats, booties, and outfits, afghans, embroidered sheets and pillowcases (for the honeymoon) all sorts of things but none of them, not even Jana, does anything like that (well I guess Jana is busy running the tattoo parlor and overseeing the Dauggar home garden). 

• Love 20
23 minutes ago, TresGatos said:

My granddaughter decided to come two months early so she is in NICU right now and inside her incubator was a crocheted octopus with curly tentacles. The nurse said it reminds the babies of their umbilical cords and gives them something to hold on to. This is in Indiana.

I am a little surprised that none of the Duggars seem particularly crafty. It seems with their built in fan base they could do very well selling things. I know we just spent $100 on a baby quilt that was handmade by nuns, "Guaranteed to be a prayer in every stitch!" I could see the leg humpers go crazy for something like that or little crocheted baby hats, booties, and outfits, afghans, embroidered sheets and pillowcases (for the honeymoon) all sorts of things but none of them, not even Jana, does anything like that (well I guess Jana is busy running the tattoo parlor and overseeing the Dauggar home garden). 

I'll bet so inexpensive because the nuns don't figure in the labor.  The Duggars would.  But beautiful sentiment.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Absolom said:

My mother has the shawl made for her by the church knitting group and even still has the blanket the Girl Scouts dropped off.  

There are so many helpful activities the Duggars could pursue, but they've been modeled self-interest before all else.

The Hospice we support doesn't send the patients home, as it's all end-of-life palliative care.  But their comfort is paramount, for as long as they're there.  They & their families are beyond brave and so appreciative.  The Girl Scout blanket your mom still has is awesome!  And an excellent lesson in selflessness for the girls that gave it to her. 

I don't even see the stupid trip the horde made to "help" the hurricane victims as a charitable act.  Too much self-serving attention for eating free sandwiches in a nice hotel room.  

• Love 21

Hubby and Wifey makes my teeth itch! If my husband ever called me his Wifey.....ooh, yeah I wouldn't marry a man who called me that. 

When I talk about him, it is normally, "Joe and I,(except Joe isn't his name) or if the person doesn't know him.."My husband Joe and I...." 

And honestly I doubt he is the "BEST hubby ever", he's wonderful but it's a big, big world of husbands...he is the best for me most days, and I think I am a more than adequate wifey but thankfully he has a little bit of blind love for me, so when I don't lotion up he is still in love with me....LOL...YAAAAHHHH!

• LOL 5
  • Love 10

Derrick does vacuum so there is that....Does your (my) best hubby eva' know where the vacuum is...but then again he washes dishes so ...

I really want to see them succeed. Such cute kids and I do see some potential...Just stop setting up the kids being into stuff...that happens naturally, slow down, enjoy your kids...not every.little.thing is exciting and yah!!!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annakate said:

New bumper sticker (if I'd put a bumper sticker on either my 15 yo car or 1 yo SUV or the 20 yo truck we only drive to the dump) MY BEST EVA' HUBBY CAN BEAT UP YOUR BEST EVA' BABE

Jill should wear that on a tee shirt the next time the Vuolos are in town. 

• LOL 12

I dont know if you can blame cold weather on that grass. OUr grass is still green and we have had snow already (Chicago area) Unless AR grass is different than chicago grass ( which could be the case) , their lawn is looking rough. 

• Love 1