Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Zella said:

If the end result of this memoir is Jim Bob getting the Al Capone treatment (I mean the building time due to tax evasion charges not the syphilis LOL

Are you completely ruling out the option of both? 

1 hour ago, Zella said:

If the end result of this memoir is Jim Bob getting the Al Capone treatment (I mean the building time due to tax evasion charges not the syphilis LOL), that's some very wonderful karma. And I say that as someone who still side-eyes Derrick a lot. 

I would love to know what conversation Jill had with the ghost writer about the discussion around the tax stuff. I don't think that would have been published if they weren't both very aware of the potential legal implications for Jim Bob if someone were interested in following up on that. 

I'm guessing Jill is/was in the dark about the legal implications, while Derick knows exactly what the possibilities are. The power of keeping his mouth shut isn't the only thing he learned in law school. 

From the excerpts I've read, the tax stuff seems to be the most...not surprising, because I think many of us suspected JB of questionable accounting, but the most impactful of Jill's revelations. We've all speculated on various Duggar shenanigans for years, and to have those speculations confirmed is fascinating. 

The stuff about Nepal and Jill not wanting it aired if they didn't work out was also interesting to me, because I've always suspected that the reason Jessa got to the engagement stage with Ben was because she didn't want to back out after their courtship was filmed. I'm wondering if that was a factor for Jill. 

• Like 18
1 minute ago, Zella said:

In that case, the ghostwriter didn't do his job. 

Would it be ghostwriter or the publisher's job?

The reason I think so is that I don't think Jill would want to go that far. It's one thing to piss off her entire family by releasing family secrets, it's another to get her father potentially investigated and indicted for tax fraud. I've wanted to see that forever and I'd actually respect Jill for doing that deliberately,  but I don't thinkshe would.

• Like 2

Admittedly, Simon & Schuster doesn't necessarily have the best record on these sorts of things, but there's a non-zero chance that one of their attorneys at least looked over the book and contacted the Dillards, their agent, and the ghostwriter to ensure that they had some sort of receipts for the allegations of what sounds awfully like tax fraud, to avoid any later defamation lawsuit.

33 minutes ago, lascuba said:

The publisher.

Who incidentally just hired a new General Counsel/Executive Vice President to head up their legal department.

Edited by quarks
  • Like 6
  • Useful 10
8 minutes ago, lascuba said:

The stuff about Nepal and Jill not wanting it aired if they didn't work out was also interesting to me, because I've always suspected that the reason Jessa got to the engagement stage with Ben was because she didn't want to back out after their courtship was filmed. I'm wondering if that was a factor for Jill. 

Jill of course hated the idea that if she went to Nepal and met Derick with the film crew tagging along, and it didn't work out, it would all be shown on the show. But the producers said, sorry, but that's what will happen. So she and Derick talked it over before TLC set up the trip, and decided to take the risk.  And as discussed above, by the time they'd had a few days together in person, she was all in for the courtship.

I think there was probably quite a bond developing between them while they were communicating only by chaperoned phone calls and emails. Just the fact that they could discuss and navigate the terms of that trip together, suggests that was the case. When they met in person, I suppose plenty of sparks flew and that sealed the deal.

That's an interesting contrast to Jessa and Ben, a match which TBH I never understood. He was a Bible-waving teenager with raging hormones and she was the Hot Duggar Daughter. His ambitious father (who'd belonged to Vision Forum) apparently did all he could to facilitate the match. Those courting scenes between Ben and Jessa were, IIRC, so cringe. Didn't he write (gawdawful) romantic poems for her, to which she responded like a dead fish had been dropped in her lap? Didn't Meech have to coach her on how to act when a guy is courting? I mean, that was drah-mah for the show, but seemed to reflect Ben's and Jessa's personalities.

Interesting point about how they came to be engaged. I can see Jessa, who IMO has a brittle personality, not knowing how to cope with backing out of a courtship that was already in the can for the show. IMO she may have been hot to look at, but she's a difficult and probably very troubled person.  She's so buttoned-up (or buttoned-down). I can see her going ahead with the engagement out of pride if nothing else. Not gonna admit a mistake. 

• Like 24
Just now, lascuba said:

I've never worked as a ghostwriter, but I have worked as an editor, and I'd say a ghostwriter has an even bigger duty to the author because their words are going to be attributed to the person whose memoir is it.

It seems like the phrasing is very careful to not directly say it is tax fraud but to spell it out in such a way that the conclusion is inescapable. I see the hand of an editorial professional at work in that, and it would, in my opinion, be really disingenuous and unprofessional to not have a talk with the writer about what you were doing and why there. Either the ghostwriter saw what was there and decided to be very careful in the use of language (and it would be stupid and disingenuous to do that and not talk to your author about it) or they had a conversation about the best way to go about presenting the information, which I find much more likely. "Wait! Are you accusing your dad of tax fraud?" 

Even if they don't care about Jim Bob being investigated or didn't fact check the book (the onus for that is usually on the writer), they would be very interested in any claim she made that could trigger a defamation case that they could be dragged into. Saying your father is committing tax fraud is a pretty serious allegation that could create legal implications if it's not true. I think it would be incredibly stupid and irresponsible to work with an author who makes that claim and not talk through the implications of saying that, once you've agreed to go there. I have talked to author clients over much more minor accusations in books nobody will ever read and whether we want to go there or not. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 11
10 minutes ago, BOOgen3 said:

Jim Bob Duggar is living proof why the Coogan Law should apply to  child “performers” on reality tv. What a horrid human being.

Coogan's law does not stop the parent or guardian from taking the vast majority of their children's earnings though.  Living expenses for example are allowed under the law.  And a parent like JB can easily figure out how to justify taking every single penny from their children.  

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 8
29 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Coogan's law does not stop the parent or guardian from taking the vast majority of their children's earnings though.  Living expenses for example are allowed under the law.  And a parent like JB can easily figure out how to justify taking every single penny from their children.  

PA passed legislation that forced Kate Gosselin to set up trust funds for her kids. There were probably percentages of revenue in place so the kids weren't ripped off. I believe the older two girls are in or just graduated from college, so there was money from somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

I think the Jim Bob/Duggar mess is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to TLC's machinations. From what I understand, TLC gets the show from a production company and consider the show participants independent contractors. Their handling of children in reality shows and their money has been horrible. Jill's story is just one of many bad things at TLC and could make a bigger book. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Taken from the Instagram account of Katie Joy, a post with a video of Jason singing (BADLY), "IIIIIIII forgiveeee youuuuuuuuuu," on Sunday.

image.thumb.png.73a664dcf0b1a02480a7c61f7c288efc.png

Also a post about JB's pastor schooling the congregation that same day, about the word "allegedly." There's video. He's an angry, bitter little "man of god."

image.thumb.png.1741e38f4a479f224f77b0394ca9a886.png

What church do they attend?

1 hour ago, BOOgen3 said:

ETA   Better yet, just keep one’s children off of reality tv.

Right? I’m so glad I didn’t watch many episodes, and stopped completely after the first Josh scandal. And I’ve never watched even one of their family exploitation videos on YouTube or IG. 

• Like 4

Is this what happened?

• The Dillards request money for medical expenses from JB
  • JB says no
  • The Dillards request back pay
  • As revenge JB put Jill on his taxes as a subcontractor
  • The Dillards say, Whoa, wait, whaaatt?!
  • JB sends an 'invoice' and offers a payout of $20,000
  • The Dillards eventually get $175,000

And JB is sitting on how much money???

• Mind Blown 3
9 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

PA passed legislation that forced Kate Gosselin to set up trust funds for her kids. There were probably percentages of revenue in place so the kids weren't ripped off. I believe the older two girls are in or just graduated from college, so there was money from somewhere.

Kate admitted to "borrowing" more than $100,000 from the kids' accounts to fund her lifestyle (including furnishing her house). So there were accounts set up, but there is no legal recourse for Collin and Hannah, the two who lived with Jon, to get the money back. 

I'm impressed Jill somehow managed to get the amount she got out of Jim Bob, but he was likely looking at it as a sort of hush money. It takes a special kind of ass to not cover the medical expenses of your daughter who almost died giving birth to a child which their religion insists is her only duty in life. This is especially crazy given that the filming of her family life is a big part of the reason he had any income at all. No one cared about Jim Bob and Michelle at that point. They were no longer "and Counting" by then.

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Like 22
5 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

Kate admitted to "borrowing" more than $100,000 from the kids' accounts to fund her lifestyle (including furnishing her house). So there were accounts set up, but there is no legal recourse for Collin and Hannah, the two who lived with Jon, to get the money back. 

I'm impressed Jill somehow managed to get the amount she got out of Jim Bob, but he was likely looking at it as a sort of hush money. It takes a special kind of ass to not cover the medical expenses of your daughter who almost died giving birth to a child which their religion insists is her only duty in life. This is especially crazy given that the filming of her family life is a big part of the reason he had any income at all. No one cared about Jim Bob and Michelle at that point. They were no longer "and Counting" by then.

Yup. The four older girls were the cash cows. The leg humpers loved them for how dutifully they cared for the house and the younger siblings. The snarkers were fixated on them because they saw them as exploited and hoped that they escaped. It helped that all four were reasonably pretty and had reasonably distinct personalities. Jim Bob had to have known that. He was just so arrogant that he thought that he could get away with continuing to rule them with an iron fist while offering a pittance in return. He was half right (the Jana and Jessa half).

• Like 21
18 hours ago, lascuba said:

The reason I think so is that I don't think Jill would want to go that far. It's one thing to piss off her entire family by releasing family secrets, it's another to get her father potentially investigated and indicted for tax fraud. I've wanted to see that forever and I'd actually respect Jill for doing that deliberately,  but I don't thinkshe would.

Yes, she is probably too nice. But he had no problem lying to the IRS which then triggered a letter to the Dillards implying that they were the fraudulent ones for not claiming what JB said he paid them.  Did he care that they might get in trouble? Probably not, the dick. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
34 minutes ago, Tdoc72 said:

Yes, she is probably too nice. But he had no problem lying to the IRS which then triggered a letter to the Dillards implying that they were the fraudulent ones for not claiming what JB said he paid them.  Did he care that they might get in trouble? Probably not, the dick. 

This part is interesting.  Where was either the 1099 or the W-2 to go along with what JB claimed he paid them?  Did he/ his accountant create one and send that info to the IRS and not give it to Jill?  Presumably Jill and Derick claimed what they actually got a check for.  

In addition, the ‘income’  extras that JB claimed were spread out over years, not the one year.  Where are the tax returns for Jill when she was still a dependent? She wouldn’t have had any concept of filing one since she wasn’t working as far as she knew.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Is this what happened?

• The Dillards request money for medical expenses from JB
  • JB says no
  • The Dillards request back pay
  • As revenge JB put Jill on his taxes as a subcontractor
  • The Dillards say, Whoa, wait, whaaatt?!
  • JB sends an 'invoice' and offers a payout of $20,000
  • The Dillards eventually get $175,000

And JB is sitting on how much money???

How is it NOT tax fraud to do something like that?

• Like 14
1 hour ago, Tdoc72 said:

100%. I have to wonder if the tax stuff is specific to Jill and Derick or if JB claimed to pay income to all his adult children and their spouses. Not that he's above revenge, but considering all the ways he works the system to maximize his income while minimizing his taxes, I think it more likely that this was standard practice for him. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
13 minutes ago, lascuba said:

100%. I have to wonder if the tax stuff is specific to Jill and Derick or if JB claimed to pay income to all his adult children and their spouses. Not that he's above revenge, but considering all the ways he works the system to maximize his income while minimizing his taxes, I think it more likely that this was standard practice for him. 

Probably, but isn’t it clearly illegal and fraud?

• Like 7
17 minutes ago, AstridM said:

How is it NOT tax fraud to do something like that?

It's a technicality, probably. It's also really hard to prove fraud by someone else. 

As far as the Gosselin girls' college, on paper, KHate is a single mother of six. I would guess that Mady and Cara got grants, scholarships, and loans galore. Again, technicalities. 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, AstridM said:

There's JB and there's Mad Money(Family?). One can argue all the kids were employees of Mad Money and the sons also worked for JB. I think this is why all the kids had LLCs, to offset any taxes. 

If JB was doing this all along he must have filed on behalf of the kids - but the kids would have had to sign the tax returns or he and Michelle forged them.

• Like 9
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, AstridM said:

I'd think so, but if all the kidults go along with it, there's little risk of getting caught. None of these people except for Derick have W2 jobs, so it's probably "easier" to let JB handle things and not ask any questions.

• Like 5

None of the Duggar kids had any real education and were raised to do what Daddy told them to do.  It's not surprising at all to me that they would never have even begun to understand how income tax works (hell I have a master's degree and I'm not entirely sure I understand every nuance!).  They trusted their father and IMO anyway he won't hesitate to throw each and every one of them under the bus if the IRS does come calling.

• Like 15
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2
On 9/12/2023 at 1:07 PM, Panopticon said:

Perhaps the saddest part of the book is the passage about little Jilly Muffin running around with her nurse playset asking her siblings in turn if they felt sick and whether she could help. Maybe if Jill had had access to a proper education, she still would have chosen to marry young and stay home with her babies. And that's a totally valid choice, of course. But it seems like she had a genuine calling to the medical field, too, and she never had a real chance to see how far she might have gone with it.

Super creepy passage about how Jana was the only J'Slave invited to be one of Gothard's Girls because she was the blonde. I know that's nothing we didn't already know, but it lands with an even more sickening thud coming from Jill.

Speaking of Jana, there's a passing mention of young Jill trying to out-good her siblings while either set of twins was "wrestling for the best position on the couch." Jana and JD were allowed to wrestle each other pre-Josh scandal? That's... also incredibly sad, considering what was taken away from the various subsets of siblings post-Josh.

Ugh to Jim Bob explicitly sending nasty messages to Jill through her siblings. Also something we already knew; also lands really hard coming from Jill. I wonder which sib was the one who snuck out and snitched that "Pops is telling everyone that if we don't stand against you, then we're standing against him."

I would love to know what happened between Jim Bob and Michelle before Michelle left the infamous contract at Jill's door in the middle of the night.

Ha! Jill (or her ghost writer) better be careful with that snark, or else she'll end up hanging out here with us.

Seriously, though, Jill/the ghost writer did a great job making Jill's love for her parents palpable even while she skewered them. And while she was explicit about adoring her buddies and taking pride in building the TTH, she was equally clear about being devastated that Jim Bob didn't choose to protect her over the show.

Wait, what???  

• Like 1