Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

It's like she decides she wants white, brown, beige, tan, or grey mush then works backwards into a recipe.

Party Potatoes

Nov 26, 2018 | Recipes | 0 

This super easy mashed potatoes recipe is one that my family got from some friends of ours several years back. We’d always eat these potatoes as a side with beef brisket.

5 lbs. potatoes (peel if desired)

1 (24oz.) sour cream

2 pkgs. onion soup mix

1 pkg. (8oz.) cream cheese, softened

Scrub (or peel), rinse and dice potatoes. Boil till soft (about 20 min.). Mash potatoes with all ingredients. Enjoy!

Note: can be served hot (mashed potatoes) or cold (potato salad).

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 4

I'm old and not clued in to a lot of current internet practices, so I thought I'd ask you guys my question.

How does it work that Jill can make money by posting crappy recipes on her website? Who is paying her the money? Is it a significant amount of money, enough to support her family since her worthless husband won't?

I just don't get it.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, Mrs. P. said:

I'm old and not clued in to a lot of current internet practices, so I thought I'd ask you guys my question.

How does it work that Jill can make money by posting crappy recipes on her website? Who is paying her the money? Is it a significant amount of money, enough to support her family since her worthless husband won't?

I just don't get it.

I'm old too, but I think it has to do with advertising. Similar to commercials who buy a spot during a TV show, ads that run on the side of a website pay the host per click. I'm guessing most websites do not make enough to support a family. I'm also guessing the Dillard Family website doesn't pay enough to cover their costs of Cream of Soups.

• Love 12
On 11/24/2018 at 11:48 AM, magpye29 said:

Oops ^^^

My God, what did Jill do to those poor potatoes? What are the orange items in the potatoes that aren't listed on the recipe? Grated sharp cheese? I have potato recipes that use sour cream OR creamed cheese, but not both. 

IMO, that's a lot of dip mix even for 5 pounds of potatoes. 

• Love 9

I find Jill's food photography hilarious. Does Jill really think that putting a tea towel/tablecloth/or whatever on a chair, while displaying the mashed potatoes in a plastic bowl actually looks good? Sigh, of course she does. It is like she has never even looked at an actual food blog. 

• Love 24
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

What. Is. This. Crap. 

Party mashed potatoes. To the extent that mashed potatoes can be considered “party”. 

Goes well with:

“Mrs. Bond’s Beef Brisket”

“We got this recipe from Mrs. Bond several years ago. She is the grandma of some dear friends of ours in Mississippi. It’s super easy and makes the whole house smell amazing when slow cooked!

1 Beef 🐮 Brisket

1 (4oz.) bottle liquid smoke 

1 bottle KC Masterpiece BBQ 🍗 🍖sauce

Place brisket 🥩 in baking dish. Pour liquid smoke bottle over. Let soak in fridge for several hours. Cover with foil and bake at 93.333°C till done (overnight), or at 176.667°C for several hours. After baking, pour off most of liquid smoke. Slice 🔪 (if not pre-sliced). Cover with BBQ sauce and serve!  🍽 

Beef-Brisket-1280x640.jpg

Disclaimer: Recipes on this site are a collection of our favorites. Some are our own recipes and others may have not originated on our site and/or have been adapted from other sites.” 

1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

What. Is. This. Crap. 

Party mashed potatoes. To the extent that mashed potatoes can be considered “party”. 

Goes well with:

“We got this recipe from Mrs. Bond several years ago. She is the grandma of some dear friends of ours in Mississippi. It’s super easy and makes the whole house smell amazing when slow cooked!

1 Beef 🐮 Brisket

Place brisket 🥩 in baking dish. Pour liquid smoke bottle over. Let soak in fridge for several hours. Cover with foil and bake at 93.333°C till done (overnight), or at 176.667°C for several hours. After baking, pour off most of liquid smoke. Slice 🔪 (if not pre-sliced). Cover with BBQ sauce and serve!  🍽 

Disclaimer: Recipes on this site are a collection of our favorites. Some are our own recipes and others may have not originated on our site and/or have been adapted from other sites.” 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I find Jill's food photography hilarious. Does Jill really think that putting a tea towel/tablecloth/or whatever on a chair, while displaying the mashed potatoes in a plastic bowl actually looks good? Sigh, of course she does. It is like she has never even looked at an actual food blog. 

Her parents raising her in a bubble has done her no favors. She still has that same mindset, even when it comes to food blogging.

Also, those potatoes look gross, and I love potatoes. I don't know if she overmashed them or if it's the added ingredients that make them look that way, but I'm forced to suppress my gag reflex looking at that photo once again. I'm not even sure I recognize them as mashed potatoes--the photo makes it look like there are cannellini beans in there.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Mrs. P. said:

I just don't get it.

Jill is making money from the Google AdSense ads displayed on her website.  She makes nothing from posting on Instagram, unless she is shilling a product and you buy that product using her commissions code.  Posting on Instagram is just a way of trying to direct people to view her website. 

A website owner can make money from the Google ads even if nobody clicks on an ad.  The owner is also paid based upon the number of people who just visited the website and viewed the ad.  Jill is making $200 - $800 a month from this advertising income, no matter how bad her recipes are.

The constant posting of ridiculous selfies and videos is to compensate these egomaniacs since TLC stopped filming them.  They post more on social media than any other Duggar.  They have an insatiable desire to remain in the public eye, probably for ulterior motives that will not be clear until after Derick leaves law school.  You can be assured that Derick is up to something, because he always is.  There are reasons why he wants to keep a fan base.

• Love 16
59 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

Don't you know the Jill's food blog is the best on the internet and all the other ones fail.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

Don't you know the Jill's food blog is the best on the internet and all the other ones fail.

6 minutes ago, graefin said:

I don't know if she overmashed them or if it's the added ingredients that make them look that way, but I'm forced to suppress my gag reflex looking at that photo once again. I'm not even sure I recognize them as mashed potatoes-

I think maybe she undermashed the potatoes and didn't blend all the ingredients well.  They look lumpy and clumpy as all get out and certainly gag inducing.

• Love 16
21 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I think maybe she undermashed the potatoes and didn't blend all the ingredients well.  They look lumpy and clumpy as all get out and certainly gag inducing.

It's impossible to have fluffy mashed potatoes if you don't peel the potatoes before you cook them.  Jill is just too lazy to do that and doesn't care if the food looks appetizing or not. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Mollie said:

It's impossible to have fluffy mashed potatoes if you don't peel the potatoes before you cook them.  Jill is just too lazy to do that and doesn't care if the food looks appetizing or not. 

I hope she bothered to wash the potatoes and take off any dirt and black spots, but I wouldn't want to eat them to find out.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, Absolom said:

It also might have something to do with the cream cheese. If she used a block (especially if she didn’t bring it to room temperature) instead of whipped that it wouldn’t mash into the potatoes. 

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Jill is making $200 - $800 a month from this advertising income, no matter how bad her recipes are.

And yet Derelict is supposed to be the headship and provider.  Nice of Derick to use their limited income to treat himself to air buds (Apple wireless ear buds). Jill used her finest plastic bowl to display her latest culinary masterpiece.

• Love 16

My daughter made a version of these last Thanksgiving without the onion soup using 8 oz sour cream, 8 oz cream cheese, and milk in the potatoes. Hers turned out to be very smooth and yummy. 

• Love 3

That brisket is just boiled in liquid smoke. No steer should have to die to end up this way.

As for the potatoes... I confess to mashing them with the skins on for more fiber and vitamins, but I wash them carefully, cut out any dark spots and dice them once cooked and before mashing. I don’t let them hang around until they oxidize and turn gray.

We need to designate a brave volunteer to be the only one to visit her “cooking” blog. She shouldn’t make dime one off this unhealthy, unappetizing and/or plagerized semblance of edible substances.

And also, blech.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

My first thought was an unappetizing potato salad. 

Oops, wrong post^^ 

3 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

What. Is. This. Crap. 

I'm still wondering what is giving it an orange hue.

That brisket is so dry it looks like jerky.

• Love 3

I think there’s a typo in that recipe title. Instead of party, it should be “partly” mashed. 

Interesting that she says to scrub OR peel the potatoes. I was taught to wash anything that was going to be sliced or peeled, so the knife doesn’t carry whatever may be on the outside, to the inside. Perhaps not necessary?

As long as I was there, here are a few of the ads on their blog at the moment:

E8B24695-603F-443F-A17F-C2817A137072.jpeg

5CF031BE-2226-477B-A9DA-C1C9DD4D3205.jpeg

C5CB846B-BF1E-4772-950C-A48EAE4B1AC4.jpeg

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I think there’s a typo in that recipe title. Instead of party, it should be “partly” mashed. 

Interesting that she says to scrub OR peel the potatoes. I was taught to wash anything that was going to be sliced or peeled, so the knife doesn’t carry whatever may be on the outside, to the inside. Perhaps not necessary?

Those are all Google AdSense display ads.  You'll find the same type of ads on this website (previously.tv) as well.

21 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Those are all Google AdSense display ads.  You'll find the same type of ads on this website (previously.tv) as well.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

IMO, the brisket is ruined with all the liquid smoke. Ugh.

I wouldn't be able to eat it.  Two drops of liquid smoke makes me sick.  Plus just pouring the sauce over top at the end is gross.  Let it cook in a bit.

1 hour ago, Nysha said:

and milk in the potatoes.

The magic ingredient that Jill forgot.

• Love 18
4 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Why are the oven temps for this recipe in Celsius?  

• Love 14
6 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

What. Is. This. Crap. 

OMG! I gave her an "A" just the other day for making something edible looking! I'm not even going to try to guess what this is -- I just wish I could un-see it!

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, cdp73 said:

Why are the oven temps for this recipe in Celsius?  

That's what I was wondering! How often do you see a recipe from an American in Celsius? Even if the recipe is passed to an American, and then they share it in turn, the temps are usually translated to Fahrenheit, or high, low, medium heat. Also, it's not given in such precise translations.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Goes well with:

1 Beef 🐮 Brisket

Goes well with:

1 Beef 🐮 Brisket

Why is she giving the cooking temperature in Celsius? Why are the temps fleshed out to three decimal places? What sort of oven does she have?

There's got to be someone, somewhere who actually likes Jill who can tell her to stop posting this shit.

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

Why is she giving the cooking temperature in Celsius? Why are the temps fleshed out to three decimal places?

Beyond that, I was wondering why the recipe was dotted with emojis as if it were written by someone with the mentality of a young teenager. Oh, wait . . . 

• Love 19
Just now, graefin said:

Beyond that, I was wondering why the recipe was dotted with emojis as if it were written by someone with the mentality of a young teenager. Oh, wait . . . 

Good point. I'd like to add that the recipe came from a friend's grandmother. Grandma XXX uses a lot of emojis when writing down recipes?

• Love 11

Help! My twins just yelled "Yaaaay! when they finished helping daddy with something. I don't want them to sound like Jilly! 

And apparently she's never heard of Claudes sauce. That's what you cook a brisket in. Liquid smoke. Ick. 

• Love 2

Wow. Good catch. So she just copied and pasted that from someone (another missioncationer?) outside of the US who doesn’t understand “rounding off” as a concept? I was thinking for a split second that she had converted it, because those three decimals have SOTDRT-type logic, but why would she have to convert anything? Unless she “cooked” this in Danger America? But where was she getting liquid smoke and barbecue sauce?

P.S. Mississippi, my ass.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 10